User Reviews for Esomeprazole (Page 2)

Also known as: Nexium, Nexium 24HR, Nexium IV

Esomeprazole has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 197 ratings on Drugs.com. 59% of those users who reviewed Esomeprazole reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

NSAID-Induced Gastric Ulcer 10.0
Barrett's Esophagus 8.4
Summary of Esomeprazole reviews 6.7 197 reviews

Reviews for Esomeprazole

Robertson · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2020

For GERD: “The best medication no acid reflux middle of the night works wonder”

Never again · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 9, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I have used nexium on and off for several years. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until yesterday. My reaction to this drug has been horrific. Chest pain, anxiety, numb swollen tongue, arm and leg bone pain, bloating. I need to find a better solution because this drug is dangerous for me.”

Bazza · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: “I've been suffering with Barrett's for years. Tried Omeprazole, anti-acid tablets etc. On Boxing Day last year I belched for 10 hours straight. There was a sulphur taste. I picked up a box of Nexium in a supermarket. Within a day I was a lot better. Only used five tablets in the pack. I've slept really well since then and only have a small amount of reflux. My quality of life has improved because of Nexium.”

molly · Taken for 10 years or more January 24, 2020

For GERD: “I have been taking the generic of nexium for about 10 years, every day, and have had no problems what so ever, but I take no other meds. I am 77 yrs old. Hope this helps others, if they are wondering if they can do this.”

EDSuscMOM · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “Ill with GERD for years, unknowingly. Sore throat, itchy ears, no energy. An ear, nose throat specialist recognized the symptoms in 10 min. Was on Priolesec for 3 months. Started to have stomach ache. I switched to Nexium 24 hour slow release - great. Month 7, am down to only 3x per week and regulate on diet of the day. However, I do take with Greek Yogurt and am on a restrictive diet by choice. Yogurt, 3 tbs per meal. soothes tummy. if one does not follow a GERD diet, no medication will help. GERD diets are available online and very helpful. Lifestyle change is positive / significant. I am thankful for Nexium 24 hour slow release.”

ME · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I had been taking this medication Nexium for 4 months. I didn’t realize it at first, but it slowly sucked away my energy. Near the end of the 4 months, I began to feel nauseous and dizzy, with pain in my back. I had labs done, and am borderline anemic, low potassium, and kidney function is no longer optimal. I stopped the drug immediately and started to feel better - aside from the return of my gastritis. Three days ago I began taking it again: same symptoms, except this time with diarrhea, too. Make sure your vitamin and electrolytes are measured before and during use of this drug! It has been awful for me.”

Bud January 15, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “Omagh let me start by saying I've only been on this for 14 days. Since then I've been to nine doctors appointments, 3 of these were different ER's because I was having heart/panic attacks! I'm 27 years young healthy as a lark. Every doctor swore that this wasn't the problem, that I had nothing at all wrong with me that anxiety, twitching, sweating/freezing, very moody, VERY bad Gas, sharp pains in chest and upper and lower back, abdomen hurting, confusion, foggy vision. This is insane I had to figure it out on my own. Guys I have never had any side effects from any medications. I have never ever felt this awful in my life. Just imagining me being as young and healthy as I am what this is doing to others. Just know your doctors/nurses will tell you that you're crazy and causing panic attacks and anxiety on your own. It's a lie. This medication was UNBELIEVABLY TOXIC for me. It did stop my heart burn 100% but I'd rather have heartburn than 100,000 dollars in Medical Bill's.”

Bert · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 8, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I started taking Nexium in my teens (20 years ago) for persistent acid reflux. At the time it relieved the nausea I was experiencing and I used it on and off for about 7 years before stopping completely. One thing I did suffer with during those 7 years was chronic diarrhoea, which at the time was diagnosed as IBS. After I stopped Nexium completely the pattern of chronic diarrhoea went away. That is until this past year when I was re-prescribed Nexium to deal with heartburn. When it works Nexium is great and I have no problem tolerating the side effects to gain what relief I can from reflux. However, I've noticed this time around it's working very slowly to alleviate my heartburn pain, if it alleviates it at all, and it's made dealing with any side effects increasingly frustrating.”

Mark M · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 1, 2020

For GERD: “I have taken generic nexium (esomeprazole) for a little over a year. I started by taking it every day. I experienced immediate relief which was a big surprise. I had heartburn for years and there were many foods I liked that I could not eat. Within 6 hours of taking my first pill I felt relief and it has not repeated itself unless I don't take it for 3 or more days. I am cutting back to 1 every other day and that should work well.”

RJN305 · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “An update to my earlier review: 2 days after I stopped the Nexium 40 mg, my suicidal ideations completely stopped.”

Bill nye · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “So I got acid reflux to the point were it woke me up at night, I got the pills nexium to help, it helped for two days before I noticed I was constipated and extremely gassy, making it feel like I was passing a kidney stone or had a hernia while it was just the gas build up in my body, the next day it felt so much worse and I also got pukey, to the point where I couldn't sleep and just wanted to purge my body of nexium”

Chris December 24, 2019

For GERD: “Been taking it for 5 days now getting pains over my chest stomach both side of hip suffer from panic attacks when laying down feel like trouble breathing”

Xerk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 22, 2019

For GERD: “This medicine is toxic. After weeks of stopping my medication, I now have. 1. Muscle twitching 2. Nerve problems 3. Back, legs, shoulder pains (although my leg and shoulder pain have decreased) 4. Weight loss (I managed to recover my lost weight). 5. Vision problems (Although I think it has something to do with a wrong prescription glasses) 6. Anxiety / Panic Attacks I do not recommend taking this drug. If you want to reduce your stomach acid, I recommend Gaviscon and other antacids. NEVER USE PPIs.”

RJN305 · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I developed terrible GERD and acid reflux where I had chest pressure and the feeling of a giant golf ball stuck in my throat. I was started on Omeprazole for about a week with no improvement. I was sleeping almost sitting down because laying down made the chest pressure so much worse. I was switched to Nexium 40 mg, which I took for 2 weeks. I had terrible nausea, diarrhea, sweating, and anxiety every day. I also developed a fear of suicidal ideations. Fear of dying and fear that something would make me jump from my balcony. I had to lock all my sliding doors and I currently moved to my mom's house. I also had moments where my mind would not stop racing and I would be in a daze. Everyone was talking around me and I would not be present. I stopped the Nexium for 1 day already. The nausea has stopped and so has the diarrhea. I also have not had any dazed our moments today and my thoughts of dying were much less today. I also developed crazy depression.”

Llass · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “Just doesn't work”

carlton1 · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2019

For GERD: “esomeprazole was initially great for my GERD and stopped chest pains, then on day 5 of taking Esomeprazole 20mg I got hives all over body and swollen hands, so I stopped it and took x1 180mg fexofenadine anti histamine for 2 days and that cured that, but then the pains returned, so back on the Esomeprazole. I am so fed up, does anyone know if OTC Nexium "allbiet non prescription Esomeprazole" is any different to prescribed Esomeprazole.”

ecco November 30, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “within an hour of dropping the first pill it cured my pain of acid reflux”

Batyah · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “After a couple of hours of taking Nexium I began to feel nauseous, another hour or so later I vomited. Then the diarrhea started. Watery and urgent I couldn't leave the house. I have tried this medicine several times and every time I have had the same reaction. It is the worst medicine I have ever been prescribed and I am going to destroy the ones I have left. The dosage I was prescribed was 40mg and this may well be too much but I will not try to take it again. ”

Beckie · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

For Erosive Esophagitis: “Put on 40mg daily for 4 weeks due to Endoscopy finding lots of damage, oozing and internal bleeding. I was fine for a week then got stomach pain and breathlessness after eating or drinking even water. The pain was also under my sternum, a rolling bruised feeling. Had to skip evening meals due to not being able to lie down to sleep even after 5 hours of food. The breathing problem can be relieved somewhat if I can burp or belch but have to really force it. Sometimes Rennies help, Gaviscon Advance doesn't help. I also have squeezing stomach pain after food or drink. I'm beginning to suspect the Esomeprazole but won't know for sure till I finish with it and probably revert back to Omprazole.”

Vercetti October 28, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I jumped onto Nexium just this past Friday since I needed a substitute for the Zantac recall. It was NOT a good choice but by the 3rd day, I had what I thought was either a heart or panic attack. I was having severe pressure behind the sternum and almost a twisting or spasmatic feeling there and in my stomach. It was difficult to breath and then my face and extremities began to tingle. It lasted for an hour and then finally subsided a bit but my chest remained uncomfortable. Here we are on day 4 and I have not taken it today nor will I. My dull chest pains are still off and on. I've gone and picked up some Magnesium Glycinate to rule this out based on what Nexium does with Magnesium though I doubt 3 doses would suck up my Magnesium. I also picked up some Pepcid which seems to be one the closest equivalents to Zantac. RECAP: I haven't gotten so much relief with regards to my GERD BUT it's sure as hell not worth these symptoms. Use at your own risk!”

JJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 28, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I've been on these meds for 2 years. I used to have indigestion so bad I couldn't sleep. I would eat a packet of quickeze a day! Nexium has been a god send.”

Anonymous October 25, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “It works great, but be careful cuz it stops working after awhile and you need to increase the dose to get relief anymore, and the relief is negligible.”

Chrissy · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I've been taking nexium 40mg for 3 years now and it's the best, no side effects I can actually eat now, if I ever skipped a day I go back to the bad reflux”

KP · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I was prescribed this for possible stomach ulcer and GERD. Within 30 minutes of taking this I had sharp chest pains when inhaling. The ER dr said it was a panic attack- it wasn’t, not my usual panic attack symptoms. My Dr told me I was her second patient to experience that with the drug. Never took it again. Was then prescribed Zantac with out issues, but it is being recalled now. Not sure what else to take besides Tums.”

Tj · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I had been taking Somac (brand of Pantoprazole) for a possible ulcer, then a pharmacist suggested Nexium. Within hours I had bad nausea. Next day I read it causes bad nausea, went back pharmacy, the chemist confirmed nausea and sweating. I had both -so no more for me”