User Reviews for Aptiom

Epilepsy
6.3

Reviews for Aptiom

FeelCamile · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2021

For Epilepsy: “At first at first I thought this medication was working, but slowly but surely I realized I was having really extremely bad panic attacks out of nowhere, then for the first time ever I had humongous seizures that were exactly like grand mal seizures but I was awake and I couldn't control my seizure. I had at least 20 back to back that I've never had before. I have extreme trembles where I feel them inside my body. It's absolutely insane. My panic attacks are continuous and now I panic that I'm going to have a panic attack. I'm trying to stop this medicine but it's like I'm having some type of withdrawal... Maybe. I pray that this goes away. This will be my 3rd day off of it and I can not stop trembling.”

Bixby January 18, 2021

For Seizures: “I also have been on Aptiom for 2 years for partial seizures. It has been horrible. Beside playing around with my thyroid it blurs my vision along with extreme insomnia. That's not good for a person who is also bipolar to go with no sleep as I also suffer with mild psychosis. My doctor has added Epival to control the moods. Time to get of Aptiom. This drug is a person's worst nightmare.”

Dan · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 30, 2020

For Seizures: “I have been on Aptiom for 2 years now. The worst thing for me is it causes insomnia badly. Sometimes I don't sleep more than 2 hours a night if that. My doctors have put me on various meds to help with this but they are only work for about a week and then they stop. I have had 2 seizures in the last month and I hadn't had any in 13 years. This drug is a nightmare for me.”

Luke83 October 14, 2015

For Seizures: “This medicine works well. I think it works better as an add-on though than by itself. I took it by itself, 600mg, and it completely got rid of my seizures. I had some bad side effects though which included terrible headaches and lots of sweating. It was unbearable. I went down to 200mg with another seizure medication (Lamictal) and am currently seizure free and doing much better. The side effects from the Aptiom have completely gone away. If this drug gives you side effects at a high dose try it as an add-on therapy with a low dose of another medication. Being on two medications both at low doses will probably give you less side effects. Also very expensive. Can get a little help from company though if you call them.”

TJsum · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2016

For Seizures: “I have ben taking Aptiom 800mg once daily for 2 months. So far I experience headaches and dizziness but I know it's the medicine so I live with it for now hoping that will all go away. I also take Vimpat 150mg twice daily with other problems that may or may not be associated with that medicine. Aptiom is great so far. It controls my Grand Mal seizures better than anything has in 35 years. My family tells me I have turned into Mr. Nice Guy over night. I'm having a good experience so far.”

Tired Tired tirer · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 1, 2016

For Seizures: “I have been taking 600mg Aptiom for 3 months and I cannot function!! Dizzy, nervous and unable to consistently function. I am tired and never want to go anywhere. Now I'm starting Keppra and Aptiom low doses and will see how that works. I'm miserable.... Unhappy....and NOT MYSELF! Will keep you posted ...11/1/2016 (in the hospital)”

Yay, me · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2016

For Seizures: “In about five days I started feeling like a cloud lifted and clear thinking rolled in. I'm very happy with the Aptiom (800mg is my dose). So glad I have it. Wish the ACA insurance paid more, as I'm paying $622/ 90 day supply. Otherwise, it's very effective.”

Ravalyn · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 1, 2016

For Seizures: “I was placed on this medication due to my epilepsy. At first I didn't notice anything huge, other than I was stuttering more and "losing words". Then the intense dizziness and vertigo was hitting me every day. I'd randomly feel like I was under water and someone was spinning me. Once I made sure my balance was ok, I would have a very difficult time with my thought processes or communicating. This would last a while after the dizzy incidents. I was only on 200mg once a day. After I spoke with my neurologist, they stated that other patients on this medication have been reporting the same things. I was removed from it immediately. That was about a month and a half ago. The dizzy spells STILL happen a couple times a week.”

Mr. T. December 18, 2017

For Seizures: “I take Aptiom as a 2nd-line med, along with Vimpat. I started aptiom with 400mg. Side effects of dizziness and loss of balance were fairly bad. After a week, the doctor had me go up to 600mg. I did that for just 2 days because I could hardly stand up due to the dizziness and loss of balance. Short-term memory problems developed also. I called the doctor and told him how bad I felt, and he moved me down to just 300mg/day along with Vimpat 800mg/day. After a couple days for the meds to adjust, my seizures went away! I've had seizures for over 45 years, but with Aptiom and Vimpat I've had no seizures for 56 days! That's a record for me. The doctor had me scheduled to go up to 800mg/day eventually, but he decided 300mg is ok.”

Dean · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2019

For Seizures: “I have been on Aptiom for 8 months now and it hasn't been a good experience. The neurologist didn't tell me this medication could lower my thyroid. I have hypothyroidism and this drug has dropped my thyroid levels to an unbelievable level. My thyroid medication was upped and I had to drop the aptiom to 400 mg a day. No seizures yet. Another thing I would like to mention is this drug does not mix with a lot of different antiobiotics. I am going to ask my neurologist to put me on something different.”

Not an ace July 6, 2017

For Seizures: “I was on Aptiom 800 mg once a day for Partial motor seizures. Price was astronomical !My co-pay was over $600 a month. Luckily I was given 3 months worth of samples for free. I changed Doctors and was told that oxcarbazepine was basically the same as this drug (eslicarbazepine)and my copay was $2.85. I was a little ticked when I was told this.Yes it is the newest drug on the market, but is it really new? Be sure to ask questions of your Doctor. It may save you lots of money.Oh....the initial days I was sick, but after I took it a while I felt better. No Seizures in the 3 months I was on it.”

awx · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2018

For Seizures: “Been taking it about a week, I was on Oxcarbazepine before and Lamictal, but I pretty much hit the dosage ceiling. Alright folks Oxcarbazepine and Aptiom are very similar in mechanism of action in the brain, but my doctor explained (after I brought it up) how he has seen improvements when people switched to Aptiom. He assumes that this is because the half life of oxcarbazepine is quite short and aptiom maintains a much more even plasma concentration. And btw, oxy has all the same side effects, except twice as bad. My current meds: Lamictal: 500mg Aptiom: 800mg”

Laura · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2018

For Seizures: “I'm very new to seizures so don't know what symptoms were seizure-related and which symptoms were medicine-related. I do know that my seizures were mostly focal aware but I was having dozens a day. They significantly fewer by the time I titrated to 600mg. By 800 milligrams I am nearly seizure-free and am feeling great again!”

Dara · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2019

For Seizures: “My son has been struggling with complex seizures for 3 years. Being on Lamicatal was causing seizures with severe psychosis afterwards. He has 22q11 (deletion of a small piece of chromosome 22) and is very drug sensitive. After getting off that Lamictal he was but on brivlere which was no better if not worse. Dr. Changed it to Aptiom. He is now happy and not tired all the time. This is a great drug with minimal side effects and no more seizures and psychosis. I hope when upped tomorrow to 400 mg that he will still not have any side effects.”

smile · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2018

For Seizures: “I've been on many seizure meds and aptiom is a combo along with my keppra and vimpat. Side effects have been minimal like dizziness and nausea at first, but it goes away. Now that I'm on 800 mg. my seizures have stopped. Only been a week, but for me that's a great sign!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

For Epilepsy: “I have been on Dilantin for nearly 15 years. Currently been seizure free for 10. My neurologist put me on Aptiom as he planned to take me off medication all together. It was fine until I had to double the dosage. The headaches are extreme. There is some random numbness in my extremities. I also have random tremors. The side effects have been scarier than the seizures. Came off of it for weeks and still have the side effects. I think this med is great in small dosage, but that’s it.”

modani October 5, 2016

For Seizures: “I have stroke induced epilepsy. Many of the medications controlled the seizures in the required dosages but the side effects on my stroke side frequently left me nearly non-functional. I was 68 when my neurologist suggested Aptiom as an add-on to Lactimal. The combo still has side effects relating to aphasia and balance but, with consistent effort, I function really well. I’ve been taking Lactimal 200 mg/Aptiom 400 mg and am still seizure-free after 18 months. I'm on Medicare (think "doughnut hole") and do not qualify for additional assistance.”

Atlanta · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2018

For Seizures: “I was using 800mg Aptiom samples for about two months and they worked great. Pros: no seizures or auras, less side affects and once a day tablets. Cons: Way to expensive!! ($500 a month) and nausea...but only lasted a month. Wish my neurologist told me the cost before getting off keppra and getting my hopes up with aptiom. Doesn’t make sense. Next, oxcarbazepine.”

Winnie the Pooh · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 29, 2019

For Epilepsy: “This has been the most effective medicine of all the seizure medications I have tried, which has been a lot. I agree that the medicine is extremely expensive, which is a major downside to using it. Still, if it helps, then it helps.”

Eddysgirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2020

For Seizures: “I am 63 and started having seizures a couple years ago. I was afraid to take medication because of the side effects. Once I started taking Aptiom 600mg, my seizures stopped. I seem to have short term memory loss, but not sure if that is the medication. The seizures caused memory loss and I do feel better now. I am starting to wake up around 5:30 am. I'm going to try a lower dosage to see if that helps.”

Epilepsy returned · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2018

For Seizures: “It's been 5 years since I've had a seizure. I was on aptiom before and it made me feel WONDERFUL but I'm not feeling like myself now. I feel constantly nauseous have a constant headache. However I did find this grant that will help with payment of aptiom if you meet the financial requirements check it out online”

Dara · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2019

For Epilepsy: “The seizure control is great. One big problem with this drug is that it can cause hypothyroidism. My son was hypothyroid before going on this medication and now it has dropped his levels drastically even when he is on thyroid medication. If this doesn't improve with more thyroid medication he will have to stop the Aptiom. I hope this doesn't happen because its the only one he can take.”

Dara · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2019

For Epilepsy: “Well my son's Aptiom dose was upped to 400 mg and now the side effects have started - a real dry cough and a bit of trouble breathing. I hope in the next couple days this improves otherwise he will have to come off of it. He is supposed to increase it to 600 mg in a couple of days which I will be leary to do in case the breathing gets worse. As in my other review I mentioned my son has 22q11 ( deletion of a small piece of chromosome 22) which unfortunately makes him very sensitive to medications. I really hope this one works although the cost is super expensive.”

mb1313 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2019

For Seizures: “I’ve been on Aptiom 800mg for around 2 months now. Previously was on lamotrigine which caused daily headaches, weekly migraines, skin irritation, haziness and troubles sleeping. Switching to aptiom has definitely helped with the decrease of side affects which have been around weekly headaches and trouble sleeping. I also should note that I do not get my period anymore. I am a 21 year old who has never missed a period before taking this drug. I have confirmed through urine tests at my GP and on my own that I am not pregnant. So, I am currently waiting to see my neurologist to talk about these issues. Just figured I should put this out there in case others were thinking of taking this drug. It is also SUPER expensive costing me around 350$ a month in Canada, luckily I have private insurance through work so they cover 80%. I have been seizure free since going on any anti-seizure medication so I can’t really compare the drugs I’ve tried to that.”

Geegaw · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 15, 2017

For Seizures: “Taking aptiome, dilantin and quetiapine. Nocturnal seizures due to Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC). Difficult to control seizures with any meds. I think aptiome helps most of the time, but may have several seizures suddenly for 5+ days in a stretch...then nothing for a couple of weeks. Feel very on edge and am severely thirsty especially after bathing. Doctor doesn't respond to my concerns as he seems challenged by my situation. Hope to get referral to a Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC) clinic close to home hoping to find other meds.”

Ken202 May 17, 2016

For Seizures: “1200 mg at night has helped my nocturnal seizures greatly from happening.”

Joe July 3, 2019

For Epilepsy: “Side effects experienced: Rash. Waking up in the middle of the night. Low NaCl. Very expensive. Tegretol less side effects same drug Less expensive!”

Alex November 14, 2018

For Epilepsy: “Seizure control ok so far. Mild skin rash from 1200mg once a day. Will ask doctor about either reducing dosage or taking 600mg twice a day.”