User Reviews for Voltaren Gel

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Voltaren Gel.

Osteoarthritis

Pain
7.7

Summary of Voltaren Gel reviews 7.8 156 reviews

Reviews for Voltaren Gel

For Pain "I use it on my knee and my neck and shoulders and it works very well. It does take some time to take hold and give pain relief, but it does work, but everyone is different. At least give it a try!"

cvdixon29 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 21, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "I use voltaren for osteoarthritis of the knee (both knees) sometimes it gives me a moderate relief and sometimes it does nothing at all. I have a complain the company should have 100 grams as it writes on the tube (i use voltaren forte) they lie!!! I pay 9.8 euro for a voltaren forte 100 grams but if you put it on a precision scale it weights 100 g with the tube if you remove the gel the tube has a weight of at least 20 grams so they steal one fifth from what they sell. Shame on you voltaren company."

nik123 December 19, 2017

For Pain "I put up with pain in lower back after strain for a week, I tried the voltaren gel before bed, it gave me relief from pain initially but I woke up at 4am in even worse pain. I'm not going to use again. I'm going back to tumeric and black pepper, and heat packs and stretches."

natural better (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "I started using Voltaren Gel a week ago for osteoarthritis in both knees. I used it 4x a day as prescribed and experienced absolutely no relief whatsoever. I did my research and found that relief is not something that builds up over time with this medication, so I am going to try something else."

Mrs. Martinoff (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2017

For Pain "It gave me some noticeable relief. Pain went from 5/10 to a 2/10. Put it on before going to sleep."

Neck upper posterior shoulder (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2017

For Pain "My pain management doctor prescribed this for hip bursitis. I have not experienced any pain relief from it at all. I’ve been using this topical gel for several months and it was only until approximately four months later I associated itching all over my body after I use the gel. I thought it was my imagination but I have tested it out several times, I am not itchy In the area that I apply the gel, but it must get into your bloodstream and I have several areas of my body that start itching at the same time. So in addition to not feeling any pain relief, I am reacting with all over body itching. I will now we put this back to my doctor, And hope to find pain relief for my hip."

MoBo16 November 10, 2017

For Pain "worked OK on burning shoulder pain"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2017

For Pain "I use it for tendinitis in the hip and it is the only thing that helps"

Anonymous October 16, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "I tried the Diclofenic pills and they did not do anything. It wasn't untill I did the gel, that it had soothing effects. Someone suggested the Blu EMU stuff, but it had no effects on me."

Mike_007 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 11, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "I have been using Volteran Gel 1% for about 7 yr. The Doctor also gives me narco for severe pain I have osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and lupus. I also was diagnosed with Hasimoto thyroiditis. I had surgery for L4 and L5 spinal stenosis 2010. My back and legs were in such severe pain for years. I put the surgery off until I just could not stand for even 5 min. To wash dishes or fold clothes. Then I had to lay down to get rid of pain. I am back to that stage again but this time I have Volteran Gel it is a blessing I apply it to my waist area and neck also my right shoulder and it goes to work immediately. I have been using less narco since I realized Volteran work better for me."

12104229958 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 30, 2017

For Pain "My history is spinal fusion/neck ~7 years ago- plates and screws in my neck. Now have 3 bulging disks in neck also. 6 discs removed from back (spinal stenosis, herniated discs, scoliosis)- have 6 metal plates, two steel rods and 14 screws~in back. The surgeries did help- but still have pain, burning, & pins and needles sensation in neck, shoulders & arms. Burning pain in hips, and muscular soreness through out my back. I've been on pain meds for years and wasn't getting a lot of relief. I discussed with my MD and he ordered Voltaren Gel. I can't say enough how much relief I receive from this medicine. Can sleep better, pain much less. I've even begun hiking again!"

HikingAgain (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2017

For Pain "I’ve been in various treatments for sciatica for the past year an a half. I’ve been in physical therapy for 14 months, tried dry needling, myofacasial release massage therapy, diet changes, prescription drugs, yoga, isolated/ active stretching & OTC icy hot & HO Capazain cream. My doctor prescribed this after the pain clinic refused to give me a steroid injection for pain relief. It’s more effective than anything else I’ve tried. I take a prescription drug for the pain and then put this cream on 4 or 5 times a day. Within minutes of applying it the pain dissipates & I’m pain free for several hours. This stuff works better than numbing yourself with ice. It helps the pain in both hips and my lower spine. I was given 3% strength & it rocks!"

Emily1991 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "Used for lateral knee pain due to cycling and walking. Gel has an immediate cooling feeling but no discernible effect on the knee pain. Normal Tylenol was much more effective"

Lehte September 4, 2017

For Pain "I take Extra Strength Voltaren gel 2.32% for RA pain. I purchase it OTC in Canada. It really is about the only thing that touches the pain. My wife however cannot stand the smell of it when I use it. She says it makes her short of breath. I have been using Voltaren for years and just this last June she complained loudly. I haven't used it since. Hence I can't sleep because of the pain. I do not smell much of anything besides the alcohol when it is drying."

Paul_Lu July 26, 2017

For Pain "I was prescribed the emulgel 1.16% for back pain and a torn stomach muscle. I was surprised at how quickly it worked. It definitely gave me more mobility. I also hurt my shoulder recently kayaking and the gel allowed me to start moving normally within 5-10 mins. It also allowed me to reduce oral painkillers significantly. I would recommend this to anyone. I tested my skin before applying it and didn't have any adverse reactions."

Purplebugs (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "I use Voltaren Gel for knee arthritis. If I take a pain pill, it takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to work. This works in seconds, and fixes "most" of the pain, "most" of the time. It also helps my very sore feet, probably plantar fasciatis. I don't know why they did not give this to me earlier, its much more effective than oral NSAID's or even Vicodin, as this works faster, much faster. I use it less often than recommended (up to 4 times a day), because its not needed. Once or twice a day for me relieves the pain, pronto. It also helps my wife, with her osteoarthritis pain."

DaytonVet July 11, 2017

For Pain "I used the gel once, as prescribed and broke out in to a rash all over my body. The rash is called Erythema multiforme. I was covered in bright red,raised welts and hives for close to two weeks. The experience was itchy, uncomfortable and over all unpleasant. My Dr. said to stop using the gel but the most frustrating part was there was nothing anyone can do. It simply needed to "run it's course!" Use at your own risk!"

Not a good match (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2017

For Pain "This gel has worked for me, but of course,everyone is different. It takes a few applications for it to work."

santanarrr June 1, 2017

For Pain "I started using Voltaren Gel 1% in 2015 and it really did help decrease my pain in my neck, lower back, hips, knees, ankles, elbows, and wrists. But do need to apply 4 times per day. I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome type III hypermobility . My ligaments and tendons are weak and has been affecting my joints, needing to have 2 neck surgeries, bunions, and wrist surgery. I switched over to the generic Diclofenac 3% gel. Let me tell you it works! Unfortunately this higher dose costs anywhere from $600.00 - $1,100.00 for a 100 Gram tube. Downside is that it's marketed for skin Actinic Keratosis."

Sheri B (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2017

For Pain "Works really well , but the size of the tube compared to the box it comes in is very very deceiving , when I bought my 50g one thought it was going to be bigger when it came out the box I thought someone had switched it for a smaller version just look before you buy"

Jono69 May 11, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "I have pes anserine bursitis of the knee. It like tendonitis below the knee cap. I have effectively used Voltaren Emulgel to help reduce the pain and inflammation. The pain can keep me up at night when I sleep. Best thing for recovery is rest, but I can't seem to stay away from doing cardio which causes it to come back. Voltaren has helped me manage the inflammation and still do some light cardio exercise."

jomegatau April 21, 2017

For Osteoarthritis "I use it for Osteoarthritis of the knee and shoulder arthritis from torn rotator cuffs. It has helped me alleviate the need for surgery for many years. It is very effective."

SkatKat April 15, 2017

For Pain "I tried voltaren due to pain and stiffness in lower back maybe due to L5/s1 prolapse, (diagnosed on MRI but not a big one) and (probably) over doing things in the garden. I was waking up due to pain and found moving extremely difficult and painful. I was at the point of taking pain relief before bed and again at around 4 a.m. With no expectations but exasperation I tried voltaren. It really has worked very much to my surprise!!! I did not expect such a good result or any result, I was just so fed up I grabbed a tube to mix up with the oral meds! It's helped my sleep in a matter of days and I'm much more comfortable. I don't take oral pain killers now and whilst I can still feel it, it's nowhere near the way it was. I can move properly again"

Suzanne74111 April 11, 2017

For Pain "I was prescribed Voltaren Gel for the arthritis in my hands and bursitis in my elbows. I also have severe pain down the IT band area in both legs and my hips and low back give me problems (DDD in low back). Since using Voltaren Gel I can make it through the day without the aching and usually debilitating pain that I get when I don't use it. Fortunately I only need to use it once a day in the morning and that gets me through until the next day. This medicine works. It smells bad at first when you put it on but I can deal with that."

mkztg March 20, 2017

For Pain "I had back surgery 6 months ago, three discectomies, and a rod and five screws implanted. While it is stated it is not approved for spinal use, I have found Voltaren extremely beneficial. While I still have pain in the neighborhood of an 8 out of 10, I feel that it would always be a 10 without Voltaren. Many thanks to my PA for recommending it."

Hank J March 12, 2017