User Reviews for Diclofenac topical to treat Osteoarthritis

Also known as: Voltaren Gel, Pennsaid, Flector Patch, Diclozor, Solaraze, Voltaren Arthritis Pain Gel, Xrylix

Diclofenac topical Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Diclofenac topical

Dee · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2020

Pennsaid (diclofenac): “I received a few sample packets of Pennsaid from the dr. Used them sparingly and IT worked great for my knee pain. No pain. Loved the stuff. Got a script for a bottle of it. The real stuff. Didn’t work at all. Horrible for the huge price tag that came with it. Be careful because the generic version works better.”

Surfer Dude · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

Pennsaid (diclofenac): “If you have ever torn a calf muscle or Achilles you know how swollen and painful it is. The Pennsaid arrived today and it began to work almost immediately. The pain went from an 8 to a 3 I am surprised to say I feel a bit buzzed from it.”

farmer · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “Four Times a day???? You would have to arrange your whole day and carry the tube with you. Patient compliance is impossible .....took it back after reading the directions.”

Petnanny · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2020

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “I just started using this and obtained pretty immediate relief for my knee replacement knee and my other knee with osteoarthritis. I’ve had a difficult recovery from complete knee replacement surgery. Because of severe pain I haven’t been able to continue my PT exercises. Voltaren allows me to do the exercises with quite a bit less pain. I hope that no bad reactions”

Ell · Taken for 10 years or more June 15, 2020

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “I have been using the Gel for many years off and on for pain. Always purchased it in Europe. So happy to see that it is available over the counter in US now. Have never had any side effects. I highly recommend this product for pain. I am 78 years old.”

Langsom June 11, 2020

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “Did nothing for me at all waste of money never buy again”

Sophie Jean June 6, 2020

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “Volaten Gel was prescribed years ago when it was a prescription and I did feel pain relief in my knee, but my stomach hurt a lot from it. Tried it now that it is over the counter and there is a little help with my knee, but major all day migraine and sweats from using it.”

Christine · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2020

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “I have osteoarthritis in both knees but periodically my right knee flares up and a Baker's cyst forms behind the knee. I have been using the Voltaren Gel for 4 days now and I can definitely see the inflammation has gone down and the stiffness is 80% gone. I was hoping to avoid a steroid shot which is what I usually have to have in such instances. I think this has gotten me past that need so I am very thankful and I recommend the product. Costco now carries the product in a 3 tube package”

Tinabug · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2020

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “Voltaren really helped for me I have osteoarthritis and a lot of swelling in my left knee and I’ve been using it for three days and the swelling is down and the pain is almost gone even though it said you need to use it for a week to see results. I have a bone spur and it feels so much better I’m able to move around like I haven’t been able to in a long time ”

Regretful · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2020

Pennsaid (diclofenac): “Went to a walk in Orthopedic clinic and given two packets of Pennsaid 2% for an aching Achilles. Attending physician wrote script and sent it to their recommended pharmacy. Used the two sample packets and a rash broke out on my ankle along with skin pain. Seven days after my initial visit the Pennsaid arrived by mail. Never used it and my prescription insurance paid $2,297.00 (3.8 fl oz). You wonder big Pharma is loathe by general public?”

Dee May 19, 2020

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “I have every kind of arthritis! I find voltaren gel fantastic! I’ve tried everything, on my 2nd tube! I wish it would come in a bigger bottle, and a pump bottle verses the tube! Cream goes quick, I paid $12.99, go throw some coupons at us! Overall very pleased!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

“I just wish the scent was a natural one like lemon. This one is like old lady perfume and it's giving me a headache.”

Don’t Use Cipla Brand!!! March 22, 2020

“Use Voltaren original or the generic by Amneal! Don’t use Cipla’s!!! It causes breathing problems from harmful ingredients they put in it! Trust me! I know this because I was one of the ones it happened to!”

Sore · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2020

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “Voltaron emolgel does work a little, a little better than nothing. But over priced and that stupid cap thing is a waste had to cut it open to get all the gel out. Find another idea.”

The Starz March 1, 2020

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “Made things worse... TransAct and Deep Heat are better... it gave no pain relief at all.”

Digitaltaz · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2020

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “I use the voltaren gel daily and it works well. I cannot tolerate oral NSAIDs and this proved to be a welcome alternative. I use it on my shoulders, back and knees, all to good effect.”

Mac · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “Broke a big toe in high school and had surgery to remove bone spur from this same toe 20 years ago. 3 night ago the occasional pain I felt in the toes was non-stop shooting pain. The orthopod I saw yesterday took xrays and said I had severe osteoarthritis in the 1st joint- not the big joint at the base of the toe, He said the long-term fix is fusing that joint. He also said the joint is too small to inject. He prescribed diclofenac (brand name Voltaren) gel. Yes - gel. You rub in on and around the joint with pain 3-4 times/day. It’s really made a difference - slept 7 hrs solid last night. Still have pains but are about 50% less severe.”

BB · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2020

“I have been in pain (cervicle) for years. c4c5c6. This Christmas holidays I was in the floor with pain. Miserable, mean, horrible and short with the ones I love. The Dr. prescribed the 1.3 patch. Ohhhh what a difference. I'm a different person in 2 days. Tonight started taking the zipsor gel tablets as well. Hoping to get up again in the morning! BB”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2020

“Diclofenac was given to me by my Orthopedic surgeon. It does absolutely nothing for me. I'm doing better with aspercream with lidocaine three tylenol arthritis pain and Turmeric capsules (6 a day). I feel like I wasted my money on the topical medicine.”

BC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 30, 2019

“I have been in pain management for 9 years. Chronic lower back pain and sciatica has been treated with methadone, 30 mg daily. I do not take drugs like Voltaren , diclofenac, orally because of stomach upset. My arthritis has become more of a problem now. My wrist joint becomes very painful and swollen. This diclofenac gel has been very helpful - I was skeptical. Using a 4 gram dose 2X daily has relieved a lot of pain and inflammation. Thank you.”

Katey · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2019

“The gel was prescribed for my upper shoulder, shoulder blade and upper arm. 4 times a day application per RX. Using for 4 weeks so far. Very effective. I wanted to refill again, even before using up the tube, but zero refills. Wanted a tube to leave at my job. Wondered why 0 refill, since it works so well. But reading about the side effects online and elsewhere, like anything else, potential interactions with other Rx's, and some of the side effects people have reported here. It's still a drug. Note: I have been experiencing lower right abdominal pain, but also using other things that can cause that. Hard to figure out which is triggering, or if in combo with the others.”

Leif · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2019

Pennsaid (diclofenac): “The best I have found unbelievable good 2% but could only use for 2 days testing since the full cost for my disability is with coupon still $2600 a month . So sad can not afford this that finally worked”

NYCPHT · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2019

“Generic Voltaren Gel ( Diclofenac 1% ) worked wonders on my ankle osteoarthritis. I was having terrible pain, could not stand or walk. Was taking 2 to 6 of the 650 mg acetaminophen plus four 225 mg Naprosyn daily with little to no relief. Got an injection into the joint space that took away 50% of the pain and twice daily applications of this takes care of the rest. I can walk again, what a relief ”

BAM · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 25, 2019

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac): “I’ve had this gel pushed at me by my pain management doctor. It does absolutely nothing. It took the itch out of a mosquito bite for a SECOND. I really don’t understand the hype about this stuff! I’m better off taking magnesium supplements & using Salon Pas topical spray.”

Carol November 3, 2019

Pennsaid (diclofenac): “Prescribed Pennsaid for knee pain / torn meniscus. Great for pain but now have hot, itchy, red and swollen skin in the area of application. Never will use this again. Be cautious!”

Learn more about Osteoarthritis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)