User Reviews for Voltaren Gel

Learn more about Voltaren Gel.

Voltaren Gel Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1819 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Voltaren Gel to treat Pain

"I take Extra Strength Voltaren gel 2.32% for RA pain. I purchase it OTC in Canada. It really is about the only thing that touches the pain. My wife however cannot stand the smell of it when I use it. She says it makes her short of breath. I have been using Voltaren for years and just this last June she complained loudly. I haven't used it since. Hence I can't sleep because of the pain. I do not smell much of anything besides the alcohol when it is drying."

Paul_Lu July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed the emulgel 1.16% for back pain and a torn stomach muscle. I was surprised at how quickly it worked. It definitely gave me more mobility. I also hurt my shoulder recently kayaking and the gel allowed me to start moving normally within 5-10 mins. It also allowed me to reduce oral painkillers significantly. I would recommend this to anyone. I tested my skin before applying it and didn't have any adverse reactions."

Purplebugs (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used the gel once, as prescribed and broke out in to a rash all over my body. The rash is called Erythema multiforme. I was covered in bright red,raised welts and hives for close to two weeks. The experience was itchy, uncomfortable and over all unpleasant. My Dr. said to stop using the gel but the most frustrating part was there was nothing anyone can do. It simply needed to "run it's course!" Use at your own risk!"

Not a good match (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This gel has worked for me, but of course,everyone is different. It takes a few applications for it to work."

santanarrr June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started using Voltaren Gel 1% in 2015 and it really did help decrease my pain in my neck, lower back, hips, knees, ankles, elbows, and wrists. But do need to apply 4 times per day. I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome type III hypermobility . My ligaments and tendons are weak and has been affecting my joints, needing to have 2 neck surgeries, bunions, and wrist surgery. I switched over to the generic Diclofenac 3% gel. Let me tell you it works! Unfortunately this higher dose costs anywhere from $600.00 - $1,100.00 for a 100 Gram tube. Downside is that it's marketed for skin Actinic Keratosis."

Sheri B (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works really well , but the size of the tube compared to the box it comes in is very very deceiving , when I bought my 50g one thought it was going to be bigger when it came out the box I thought someone had switched it for a smaller version just look before you buy"

Jono69 May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried voltaren due to pain and stiffness in lower back maybe due to L5/s1 prolapse, (diagnosed on MRI but not a big one) and (probably) over doing things in the garden. I was waking up due to pain and found moving extremely difficult and painful. I was at the point of taking pain relief before bed and again at around 4 a.m. With no expectations but exasperation I tried voltaren. It really has worked very much to my surprise!!! I did not expect such a good result or any result, I was just so fed up I grabbed a tube to mix up with the oral meds! It's helped my sleep in a matter of days and I'm much more comfortable. I don't take oral pain killers now and whilst I can still feel it, it's nowhere near the way it was. I can move properly again"

Suzanne74111 April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Voltaren Gel for the arthritis in my hands and bursitis in my elbows. I also have severe pain down the IT band area in both legs and my hips and low back give me problems (DDD in low back). Since using Voltaren Gel I can make it through the day without the aching and usually debilitating pain that I get when I don't use it. Fortunately I only need to use it once a day in the morning and that gets me through until the next day. This medicine works. It smells bad at first when you put it on but I can deal with that."

mkztg March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had back surgery 6 months ago, three discectomies, and a rod and five screws implanted. While it is stated it is not approved for spinal use, I have found Voltaren extremely beneficial. While I still have pain in the neighborhood of an 8 out of 10, I feel that it would always be a 10 without Voltaren. Many thanks to my PA for recommending it."

Hank J March 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have Carpal tunnel syndrome. There are nights the pain is unbearable. I have applied prescription Voltaren Gel and it brings significant relief. I rub the gel into the wrist, palm, and fingers."

Pa Pa John 1935 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was hit by a police car in 2002. I was in recovery for a year. From the head down. Broken jaw, 4 disks crushed my neck. Both collar bones, 7 broken ribs and a shatered pelvis. So many pills, patches and injections. Under the knife many times. A real humpty dumpty story. I have more pins, screws in me than your local hard wear store. Note: I don't want to over state the how effective it is but it works. Talking to my doctor about the pain. He gave me this to try. Well my 1st thought was "just another snake oil" But it'sfreak'in amazing, it works like magic. Why did I not recive this years ago. The Drugest gave me a stupid look. And said it just became generic. All those years I would have paid anything. When your in pain, money is no object"

Perkytires January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I hit my toe and half my foot swollen."

0000pp0 December 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked great on a muscle strain! Even helped to heal it faster. Nice mild smell. I gave it a 8/10 and not a 10/10 because it gave me side effects. Ringing in ears quite frequently as well as a very strong dizzy feeling. This began after a week of use."

Shawnsss November 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I think the use of putting perfume in the gel is really stupid. There are so many people allergic also someone like me with cancer and very sore and nauseated to spend money on this and it made me so sick I washed up 4 times and my hands and skin still smells strong. It gave me a headache and made my nausea worse. There is no need for perfume not to mention it's just an toxic unnecessary ingredient. I will never use this again and I will be sure to let everyone at clinic know."

Peggyboooo75 November 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My dr gave me Voltaren Gel to help relieve my Ilio-Inguinal Neuralgia as a sample. I don't have a specific dosage, just when it hurts, apply the cream. It works amazing! I mainly use it for break-through pain between doses, and days like this with storms and hectic days at work, I'm able to concentrate on work instead of trying to take my mind off of the pain. Does this come in gallon size with a push handle? Maybe a bath bomb I could put in my jacuzzi tub? Just askin..."

Gerip93 July 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have lived on a formal pain regimine for many years. Among other conditions, I live with psoriatic arthritis and deal with IBS/here from sensitivities to some medications. My internist prescribed Voltaren Gel for me a few years ago. My pharmacist told me to use it sparingly, that with this product less is more. I have followed her advice and use it on an as needed basis for pain that my regular meds just don't seem to control. Like when I blew a tendon in my foot walking my Service Dog or when I fell and wound up with a non-displaced fracture of my tibia. Using Voltaren Gel helped me control the pain so well that I was able to walk with a cane. It is AMAZING how effective it has been for me."

Maggie Pringlemeir (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My muscles in my shoulder get really tense because of a pinched nerve in my neck and I also have osteoarthritis and lower back pain this stuff when I have a flare up this stuff works wonders. They now make it in generic so I can afford it now I used to not be able to afford it when it was brand only."

Kristopher-Generic Avaliable N (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a sprained rotator cuff. I was prescribed Voltaren for Plantar Facilities several months ago. I found no relief from the Voltaren for my feet. When I injured My shoulder, I remembered that had the Voltaren so I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. WOW!! AMAZING!! Nothing I have tried orally can even come close to the Voltaren. It is like a miracle. I have never found any medication for anything that was more effective. I guess it just works better for some injuries than others. It is , however, very short acting. But the pain relief it provides is priceless. I have arthritis in my hands, I don't find it helps with that pain. For the certain types of injury it works better than narcotic medication. Smells great Absorbs quickly."

StaceyBgood July 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have RSI in the wrist. I have been doing the streching exercise shown to me by my physio therapist as well as using Volt. I get No relief using it at all. Its just an expensive useless smelly cream in my experience."

Stumpu (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I live in Florida. This gel worked very nicely for my tennis elbow, shoulder pain and lower back pain. However, I JUST had an "ah ha" moment as to the mysterious, very itchy rash I have developed. The application areas reacted in the intense heat. Last summer while gardening I developed a severe lower back rash which I assumed was somehow sweat related. This year I developed the same painful, itchy rash on my right upper back (deltoid area and shoulder) down to my lower arm. Again, I thought it was from the heat and sweat. As I was applying it yesterday, I realized it was being applied directly on top of my rash. The ONLY places I have my rash. It took me long enough!! However, I did NOT get this rash in the cooler temps."

Babs727 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am an artist and a horseback rider and for the last few months have experienced a very painful case of tendinitis in my right arm. This gel works well and very quickly in my case, and with bracing and icing I have experienced a lot of relief. The nature of this pain reliever is anti inflammatory - not numbing - so I don't think you would find use for it if your pain is not of the inflammatory nature. I get spastic and tense neck muscles all the time and find heat and massages work better. So for the right purpose it is excellent stuff. I am sensitive, delicate skinned and had no allergies but I would be careful and spot test nonetheless."

Jessybel (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Why on earth any company would add fragrance to a medicine is beyond me when so many medical facilities have gone fragrance free. Even the low level fragrance has caused nausea after a half day's use. It's either the fragrance or a reaction to the gel. Didn't make much difference in my pain level."

Bad Side Effects (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used this for sciatic pain. The first few times it worked. Pain was reduced. Then about the 4th or 5th time I experienced a burning sensation. It was so strong that I had to wash off the medication to get relief."

Robert Roberts (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with sciatic pain that affected my back and right thigh. I used the gel liberally as the pain increased. Eight days ago I stopped as my right thigh was experiencing a burning sensation in the area where I had applied the gel. I still have the burning sensation.I am on various drugs for hypettension."

cuchlane (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was having hand pains a friend put some on my hand,I had no pain for days,I went to my Dr.got a prescription, it works no ordor,it also helps my roto tear,I had a botched surgery, it helps that pain. Thanks to my friend and this company."

Blondel (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016