User Reviews for Voltaren Gel

Voltaren Gel Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Voltaren Gel to treat Osteoarthritis

"Took diclofenac sodium 75 for an athletic knee injury. Worked fantastic. Became familiar with the gel through my pharmacy studies and tried it on the occasional flare up. It's wonderful, feels great and soothing. While it does go systemic after initial absorption, I enjoy that it can be directed mainly at the specific area that needs help. Try it."

dimpsie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2018

"I have arthritis in the knees that is painful at night and need to apply a medication often. I was hoping that the 12 hourly osteo gel would last thru the night. It only lasts as long as the others about 2 hours but is 3x the price."

Harry (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

"Great for alleviating the pain of arthritis in my hands. Only side effect is the bruising of my hand but well worth it to not have the pain"

Bugi (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2018

"I am a type 2 diabetic for about 20 years now and last year my one knee really got sore and walking was tough. I used all kind of pain cremes on my knee but nothing worked. I got a cortisone shot and it worked for about a month, but it really elevates the blood sugars. Now I have been using Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) on my feet for a few years to get rid of the nerve pain, because nothing else worked. So I shaved my knee and tried the DMSO and like the foot pain I find it gives me about 10 days of relief. My family Dr is not a fan of the cortisone shots, and says the DMSO is safer. I am now trying DMSO mixed with some Voltaren. I leave it on for an hour then wash the knee and apply Aloe Vera to reduce the itching from the Voltaren. The 50 50 mixture itches more than the DMSO. But I can walk without hobbling along like Chester."

wayne (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2018

"I suffer with osteoarthritis in both of my hips. I've had 1 hip replaced and both pre and post surgery I suffer with lower back pain. Used Voltaren Gel and no marked relief. I used to have, and have just re-ordered, a THERATERM digital moisture heat pad which helps all kinds of aches (knees/back/shoulder) (amazing heat pad) ... and I'm going to try another topical solution called 'LivRelief' and see if it helps (I'm still hoping). My quality of life has very much deteriorated as a result of this lower back pain - even the simplest of tasks."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 25, 2018

"My doctor sent me home diclofenac patches however since they’re not covered by my insurance and cost way to much to pay for out of pocket ($300 to much) he called in a prescription for the gel. The patches worked awesome and the gel I’m NOT a fan of at all. I have Bursitis in my right hip and a large annulus tear in my lower back and my skin where I rub the gel has become overly sensitive and painful to touch."

JaimeeB (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2018

"I have some chronic health problems, and NSAIDs are not safe for me. Last history of MI, Ulcers, Stroke, Paralysis, Eosinophilia Myalgia Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and severe degenerative disc disease. Currently, I can't get adequate pain relief due to "The opioid crisis." Gabapentin is ineffective. Voltarin gel is better than nothing. Unfortunately, I've had to resort to using ibuprofen and getting injections of Toradol. My doctor gives me the shots and is aware of my NSAIDs use, yet refuses to write for a small amount of pills to have for those 10 to 14 days a month when my pain puts me in bed. I am suffering with neuropathies, chronic pain, poor quality of life, a 4th lumbar vertebral compression fracture. I'm told, suck it up, cupcake! Whatever happened to a patient's right to adequate pain relief? The government has no place between a patient and doctor. I'll take my chances with your black box warnings. Cinda Marie Helen Miller, retired RN"

Bgbanjo Banjo (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2018

"I use voltaren for osteoarthritis of the knee (both knees) sometimes it gives me a moderate relief and sometimes it does nothing at all. I have a complain the company should have 100 grams as it writes on the tube (i use voltaren forte) they lie!!! I pay 9.8 euro for a voltaren forte 100 grams but if you put it on a precision scale it weights 100 g with the tube if you remove the gel the tube has a weight of at least 20 grams so they steal one fifth from what they sell. Shame on you voltaren company."

nik123 December 19, 2017

"I started using Voltaren Gel a week ago for osteoarthritis in both knees. I used it 4x a day as prescribed and experienced absolutely no relief whatsoever. I did my research and found that relief is not something that builds up over time with this medication, so I am going to try something else."

Mrs. Martinoff (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2017

"I tried the Diclofenic pills and they did not do anything. It wasn't untill I did the gel, that it had soothing effects. Someone suggested the Blu EMU stuff, but it had no effects on me."

Mike_007 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 11, 2017

"I have been using Volteran Gel 1% for about 7 yr. The Doctor also gives me narco for severe pain I have osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and lupus. I also was diagnosed with Hasimoto thyroiditis. I had surgery for L4 and L5 spinal stenosis 2010. My back and legs were in such severe pain for years. I put the surgery off until I just could not stand for even 5 min. To wash dishes or fold clothes. Then I had to lay down to get rid of pain. I am back to that stage again but this time I have Volteran Gel it is a blessing I apply it to my waist area and neck also my right shoulder and it goes to work immediately. I have been using less narco since I realized Volteran work better for me."

12104229958 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 30, 2017

"Used for lateral knee pain due to cycling and walking. Gel has an immediate cooling feeling but no discernible effect on the knee pain. Normal Tylenol was much more effective"

Lehte September 4, 2017

"I use Voltaren Gel for knee arthritis. If I take a pain pill, it takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to work. This works in seconds, and fixes "most" of the pain, "most" of the time. It also helps my very sore feet, probably plantar fasciatis. I don't know why they did not give this to me earlier, its much more effective than oral NSAID's or even Vicodin, as this works faster, much faster. I use it less often than recommended (up to 4 times a day), because its not needed. Once or twice a day for me relieves the pain, pronto. It also helps my wife, with her osteoarthritis pain."

DaytonVet July 11, 2017

"I have pes anserine bursitis of the knee. It like tendonitis below the knee cap. I have effectively used Voltaren Emulgel to help reduce the pain and inflammation. The pain can keep me up at night when I sleep. Best thing for recovery is rest, but I can't seem to stay away from doing cardio which causes it to come back. Voltaren has helped me manage the inflammation and still do some light cardio exercise."

jomegatau April 21, 2017

"I use it for Osteoarthritis of the knee and shoulder arthritis from torn rotator cuffs. It has helped me alleviate the need for surgery for many years. It is very effective."

SkatKat April 15, 2017

"I have arthritis in my ankles, knees, sacroiliac area, and hip. I also have fibromyalgia. It hurts so much I can barely move. When ever I have pain, I use Voltaren Gel. This stuff is a lifesaver. It helps me regain my joint flexibility and I can move and walk around again. Also, I am not crying out in pain. My life was horrible before Voltaren Gel. Now, I have a normal life again and can manage my symptoms."

whicket (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2017

"I have rheumatoid A and Stage 4 tibia tendon dysfunctional with collapsed ankles and I use voltaran 1% now and it helps with my pain.But. if you can get 3% gel it's way better, my ins paid for it for a yr but then classified it as experimental and wouldn't cover it"

Luffer (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2016

"Cmc jt arthritis...not sure if helps..pain same at thumb joint"

RJ4 (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2016

"I have been using it for 24hrs on right side of my right knee. It works wonders. So far no pain and it does last for 12hours for each application. I didn't expect it to work so quickly."

k.d. (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2016

"In a waitress and have osteoarthritis on my knee and moderate foot pain due to over use on days l work. I love this stuff and call it my magic gel. It doesn't take the pain 100% away but it reduces it to a low enough level that I can sleep. Without it I am up for hours twitching and wiggling trying to find comfort after s a long dayday. The scent is mild after a few minutes, and so is my pain level. After a particularly painful day I may apply twice. I don't need this every day so a tube will last me several months, at $30 each tube it does add up but since I don't need it nightly I manage the expense."

1834 July 25, 2016

"I have been using this 3-4 times a day for just over two weeks along with one-20mg proxicam a day for Osteoarthritis, I am male-64yrs. I have not been overly impressed with either thus far. But I have noticed a little less stiffness and some range of motion. But in fairness the inflammation is no doubt very deep in both joints and would take time for the medicine to hit its target area. The Dr told me to give it time which I felt was reasonable. I find the gel to have a pleasant smell and rubs in nice and dries pretty quick. I am using the Voltaren Gel that says, diclofenac sodium topical gel 1%. Don't quote me but I believe they also make it with 2% diclofenac sodium?? With ins my cost was 42.00 for 5 tubes. Greasing both knees uses a lot"

My stiff-sore Knees April 12, 2016

"I had a bad reaction to this medicine; trouble breathing, tight throat, cold hands and feet, increased pulse, strong headache, then fatigue. It was very frightening, but did go away after several hours."

bobbiesm March 8, 2016

"I find that right after I open a new tube the gel works great on my knees but with in about 4-5 days the same tube has lost a lot of its strength I recommend buying the smaller tubes to keep the strength up. Another person who I know also noticed this and thought it was just him but I have been using it for over a year now and the regular strength and the extra strength are both less effective after the seal has been opened 4-5 days."

TNieder February 13, 2016

"I am a Chronic pain guy, An athlete with numerous aches and pains, Voltaren was prescribed to me for my knees which have osteoarthritis, it seems to give me some relief but those of you that are saying it makes you pain free are stretching it a bit, I was unaware I could use it on my back which I will try,To be continued...."

Skibs (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2015

"severe blistering and rash of skin, rash in mouth, teeth hurt, severe sore throat, infection in foot( twice) surgery to clean infection. Loss of work, on SDI now."

kemlp (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2015