User Reviews for Pristiq (Page 3)

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

"I began taking Pristiq in 2008 as a supplement to Wellbutrin. When I missed dose I became very ill with flu-like symptoms so severe, I felt it was not safe for me to drive a car. This made me feel as though this drug was not good for me, so I finally took myself off of it in 2015. It took the entire month of July (I stopped Pristiq July 1st and nausea and dizziness did not end until early August- I kept track of my symptoms on a calendar) and as of today, the end of February 2016, my digestion has still not returned to normal. Pristiq was developed by the manufacturer to replace the profits from another popular drug that reached the generic zone. I consider it "bad drug.""

ltvanburen (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"on Prozac (Lovan) for 4 years, felt it was no longer helping and read about a type of antidepressant that targets your neorephrine (noradrenaline) re uptake, not just seratonin. mentioned it to doctor, he recommended Pristiq but I had to stop taking the Prozac for a month before starting Pristiq (hell.) Thought I made a terrible mistake as it didn't start working for at least 3 months. Difference is Prozac inhibits you from feeling emotions whereas Pristiq allows you to feel and be able to deal with them. No side effect but if I miss a dose in morning by lunchtime I'm so dizzy and lightheaded!"

Cocoash February 20, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Fixed one problem, made another worse! My 14 years old child, has had seasonal depression and social anxiety. Her doctor said it would help with the anxiety too but it has left her always shaking uncontrollably and feeling more jittery and anxious than ever! It has helped the depression, she can go to school with a bit more ease and it'll keep her from throwing herself out a window. But her general ability to function is about the same because now she is too anxious instead of too sad."

lyndsayy February 15, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Pristiq for about a year now, and it is brilliant. Those who have only given it a few days need to give anti-depressants a few months for the drug to work properly, it doesn't metabolise like paracetamol or other common meds. The best thing about going from escitalopram to this is that I have emotions now. The worst side-effect is dizziness, which isn't the same kind of dizziness that you have after you spin around or get up really quickly. I feel like the term "sparkly" is more appropriate, because it is quick to go up and down in severity. I feel like I also have a bit of photophobia with it too. Be careful with missing your medication, not taking it at the same time everyday and alcohol consumption."

Pristiq user February 14, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After struggling with depression for over ten years and trying over twenty different medications, I have finally found one that works. I have been on this medication for about four years and it has been life changing. I have had no side effects (which isn't common with these types of medications) The only 'negative' thing about this medication is that if you accidentally miss a dose you will get really bad side effects."

Finally123 February 12, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Pristiq 5 days, the 1st day I felt great, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th, my last day as of yesterday has been pure hell. Nausea, constant headache, flu like symptoms, not being able to read the paper or anything, vision really messed up, hot & then cold, total confusion, can't remember something that happened an hour ago, my skin itches so bad it's red. I'm not going to take it ever again, I would rather be depressed, I will take my doctor back the samples he gave me tomorrow & let him know my problems with Pristiq. I know an antidepressant can take time to be effective but I don't want to risk anymore withdrawal symptoms than what I'm having after taking this just 5 days. I will never take it again."

Do tell February 8, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's has only been day two for me and I will not be taking another one of these , side effects straight away , sick in the stomach , no appetite , massive headaches today ,no libido , horrible taste and to be honest all of these effects are bringing back my anxiety. My headache is not going away . I am going to choice nature tomorrow and get myself better the healthy safety way ."

Shelberight February 7, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Switched from lexapro to pristiq because of DNA test but even after a month on it I felt more nervous than normal and made my OCD worse. Horrible drug- stick to lexapro, Zoloft or Prozac."

John8732 February 1, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a horrible experience with this drug!! After 4 days of starting Pristiq I starting having massive anxiety and panic attacks!! I could not sleep for the life of me!! It felt like I had a constant rush of adrenaline!!! I had to be admitted to the psych ward because I went into psychosis. I stuck it out for three weeks hoping that I would find relief from my crippling depression. No!! I was more depressed, sleep deprived, constant panic. I knew the drug was causing more pain than I started off with. Every drug is different. Writing this in case someone else is having the same experience. Was switched to amitrypraline and am starting to see small improvements. If you are having horrible side effects tell your doc!!! Wishing you the Best!"

Redheadlady72 January 31, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"With peri menopause leading to menopause...came an overwhelming sadness, emotional ups and downs, anger, the black dog visited often for no apparent reason. After seeing doctor who offered blood tests acknowledged menopause was occurring, he prescribed pristiq 50 mg. one a day. I had negative pre conceived ideas about taking anti depressants due to incorrect information but thought I'd give it a try. It's now nearly three years since I began treatment....yes ...they work....side effects :can numb emotions, but not to the point that I can't feel..loss of libido..that's a small price to pay compared to how I felt when the black dog visited. I tried to stop taking pristiq only to have old symptoms return"

Basell January 29, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"27, I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression about 18 months ago. My doctor started me on 50mg of sertraline and it had no effect so bumped me up to 100mg and I absolutely hated life! My panic attacks worsened my mood was unbearble, I always felt tired and nauseous which all affected my ability to work. I had enough so I stopped but then needed to go back to the doctor to try a different medication which he prescribed me pristiq. I feel absolutely amazing! My anxiety has gone and the depression side of things is a thing of the past! I have been nauseas once or twice since being on it (3 months) but that is nothing compared to the other medication I was on :)"

Llc89 January 28, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication has been a lifesaver! I have been on it for almost 3 weeks and I am amazed at how much better I feel. I suffered a breakdown just after Thanksgiving and continued to be an utter disaster for a few weeks...I entered a PHP program where the Psych suggested Pristiq, something I had been asking my Primary Psych for months! After about 4-5 days, I began to feel somewhat whole again and I'm getting better each day. I still have my ups and downs but I'm now able to get out of bed and shower everyday! The only reason I did not give a 10 is because of some undesirable side effects such as, nausea and very dry mouth. I am told that by 4-6 weeks this should go away."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Could not concentrate or think on this medicine , I took it for a week and stopped. Felt depressed and anxious on it"

Anonymous January 24, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible drug. Avoid it"

Skipwith January 23, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"18 years. I switched to pristiq after paxil and Wellbutrin. I took a gene sight test that predicted me to have the least amount of side affects with pristiq (which I highly recommend). I had almost no side effects. After the pristiq started to kick in I felt alright, not too great or severely depressed. I did feel well enough to go to school (I couldn't on Paxil). However after about a month I noticed a shift; I felt a lot better than usual at times and at others I felt depressed. I also have had racing thoughts and mood swings become more common. I became worried I had bi polar disorder. I told my psychiatrist this and he believed it was coming from pristiq. Coming off has been a hard. My mind has been in a fog, hot flashes, flu like symptoms"

Dropple (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Prestiq for ages, it did not work for me I felt continuously nauseated I became numb of all feeling and lost who I was along the way. In December 2015 I had unrelenting vomiting, this included vomiting back all medication. After 10 days I was a screaming heap, went to the Dr who prescribe Maxalon for the vomiting, this didn't work so back I went this time Stemetil, still vomiting by now off Prestiq felt awful for ages. Gradually I noticed although still feeling nauseated was not as cranky irritable and stressed. I am still struggling with the withdrawal symptoms however, I am coping better without the medication than I thought possible. Why is it Dr's do not listen to you when you are on medication for depression?"

Nightmare Nancy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"36. Depression on and off since 15yrs old. Tried diff Meds. On Welbutrin for 5 years and felt like it stopped working. About Aug 2015 I was crying constantly so switched to Prisitiq 50mg began Dec'15 and crying stopped. But so did all of my other feelings. I Feel nothing. Plus zero libido. zero. That is not good for a marriage. Thankfully hubby supportive. Quit taking Dec 30 Dr warned me cold turkey would not good but trying. Feelings coming back but too bad just sadness right now. Wish I never even tried this. Tears are better than no feelings."

SoDone. January 2, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Since being on Prestiq I enjoy every day, not feeling down, no beating myself up, just enjoying life. Yaaa"

Aggles (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 30, 2015

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"On it again for OCD and depression. Actually still tired after 6 weeks switched to night and screws up my sleep pattern. Not sure when to take it. It does help but can you live this tired forever?."

Cannonball dr December 29, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Pritiq two years now and it's a nightmare to get off of them. I wish I would have never started them going off of them is so hard the side effects are probably close to an addict coming off drugs. I've only missed a dose and I feel like hell. DO NOT GO ON THEM TRY ANOTHER ANTIDEPRESSANT!! If I knew then what I know now about the withdrawal effects I would have stayed on Citalipram. as Pritiq is time released pill you can't just take a smaller dose to go off. Living nightmare as I don't find much benefit from them for depression and now I can't get off them without feeling like I'm going insane."

Mountain Badger December 20, 2015

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking antidepressants for years; prozac, celexa,cymbalta, and now pristiq. I have always had problems stopping taking antidepressants and needed to go back on the medication after a while. I even stopped taking pristiq and found it necessary to go back on the drug after stopping. This last time I started taking pristiq I felt much better after some weeks and everything was back to normal. Then I began to notice more depression symptoms like brain fog, general lack of motivation, tiredness, major forgetfulness. I went out of town and even forgot to take the pills with me. This is where things took a strange turn. I felt better the next day! Every day that went by I felt better. I forgot what felt like to fell this good"

Foxtrot70 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2015

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is day two for me taking the medicine, and already my face has broke, I'm very tired, and I feel anxious at times and like crying at others. I don't like it. I'm going back to latunda"

Anonymous December 9, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have suffered from depression on & off since childhood as I had gone through a lot of trauma in my childhood. I believe my brain was rewired due to the depression I've endured since - that first started when I was 9 yrs old. I've been on about 14 different antidepressants of all types (including MAOI 's & mood stabilizers & none of them had really worked for me. I gave up on everything - & truly believed I'd just had to accept wanting to die almost daily for the rest of my life!!! I finally asked my Dr. if I could try any new antidepressants & he prescribed Pristiq. This is the start of my 3rd month on it & it's changed my life! I'm actually feeling wonderful & have found hope again! On 50mgs/day."

gingermynx (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2015

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took pristiq for a month, one pill a day, I'm currently tapering myself off of it now because it has caused the following effects: Loss of any emotion Uncontrolable shaking Inability to feel hungry or full & Inability to feel pain I'm 16 and this anti depressant is for 18 but my gp thought it was a good idea to prescribe it for me? I don't think I'll ever take another anti depressant again I'd rather feel everything than nothing."

WalksAlot December 5, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on this for 5 weeks broke out in hives- now off of it and on Prednisone. I also take Lamictal so she took me off that too as she didn't know which med was causing the issue. If you start itching get to your DR right away"

Sammijo1122 November 28, 2015