User Reviews for Pristiq (Page 2)

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

"I know one week of treatment is not a fair chance to give a medication to judge its effectiveness, I'm only reviewing the side effects. I was on the 50mg dose and the first 2-3 days were fine; no side effects noticed. However, my appetite significantly decreased to the point where I had to force myself to eat or I would go an entire day without eating. And I couldn't eat much when I did eat. I had cloudy urine and didn't have a strong flow; which made me think I had a UTI without the burning. Lower abdominal pain, some diarrhea. Lethargic all the time, no motivation to do anything. Not depressed, just didn't wanna get out of bed. Felt sleepy but couldn't sleep even with sleep mess. When I did sleep, it was very broken."

PomMom (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 100 mg for about 6 years. I had moderate OCD, high anxiety, and then a diagnosis of depression before I started taking Pristiq. I have found it has reduced my OCD, anxiety and depression very well. Lately though I have been experiencing intrusive self-critical thoughts and excessive bruxosis (teeth grinding). I am 62 and have a heavy work load. My libido has been hugely reduced since starting on Pristiq although this may in part be due to menopause. I also occasionally experience what I would call LSD flashbacks, of a benign nature. The images I see, only at night, are of extraordinary beauty and are extremely detailed. When I open my eyes, I can still see the images. Has anyone else experienced this?"

Bingybong (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I couldn't be happier with Pristiq as it has helped me get back in the game of life again. I started taking Pristiq six weeks ago, following its recommendations and those who have had success on it. While on daily Pristiq, I also do 30 minutes of exercise (rebounding, walking, swimming), drink 2 litres of water, only 1 cup of coffee/ tea a day and no alcohol. Regular bedtime/risetime (8 hours min sleep). Quick results help me to persevere for 3 weeks to form new habits and get control of my life again. The rebounding offset my dizziness, nausea, sluggishness, constipation and "I-don't-feel-like-it"s. Pristiq and a healthier lifestyle have me feeling like my old self again, enjoying life, friendships, good health and work again."

Back in the game (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this for 4 months. It gave me awful almost dangerous constipation . I felt dumb most of the time. I was never sad nor happy. I wouldn't recommend this unless nothing else worked."

Lefty448510 December 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For years I refused medication for my depression and anxiety disorder. I had tried a few in the past (Lexapro, Effexor etc) but they hadn't helped or caused me to gain weight. After having my baby my anxiety and depression became so bad I couldn't leave the house. I met another lady who suggested this medication. I was really hesitant but I had to try something for my babies sake. This medication has really changed my life. I am A different person completely. I feel strong and don't remember the last time I cried (I use to be a daily cryer!). I am still anxious sometimes but life doesn't seem so hard anymore. Everyone that knows me has noticed the difference in me. It took about three days to get use to it, but it's been great since."

Aubs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I know people react to medication differently, some have had great experience but most have seen the dark side of this medication. I've been on multiple medications, this is definitely the last one I will ever go on. My suicidal thoughts increased to almost daily, felt like self harming my self all the time. super irritable. I was only on the medication for 2 months, before I was on effexor for almost 2 years.. multiple medications before. I decided to wean off of it with the help of the pharmacist for a month.. after officially off of them I have never felt something so horrible as these withdrawal symptoms. so dizzy I couldn't get off out of bed for 4 days, brain zaps, shaking uncontrollably, hit and cold flashes.. ect. BE CAREFUL"

cookieee (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried Zoloft, lexapro, effexor and they made me feel horrible. Pristiq is different. I added it to my wellbutrin SR and Adderall daily. Calms me and drastically reduced my anxiety without making me drowsy. It works within a couple days! Worth a shot. Try it. It could change your life."

mamakitty3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2016

"Great drug!"

HTOOOOO November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This poison never helped my anxiety or depression. I am currently weaning off & it is HELL. I do not recommended this med. I've also lost 1/2 my hair in the 6 months I've been on it. Only 22 years old."

Crzygirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’m currently in month 11 of a Pristiq taper. I have tried several times over the past 20 years to stop SSRI or SNRI including Effexor and Pristiq but have experienced such horrible withdrawal symptoms that I have not been able to stop taking them. So basically I have been dependant on these drugs for 20 years, not because I really need them, but because my brain reacts violently due to withdrawal. This time I’m reducing the dose extremely slowly and it has been better than previous attempts, although I’m finding the past few weeks very, very difficult because I’m down to a quarter of a tablet every two days. I’ve been reducing the dose about 12mg-25mg at a time and staying on that dose for one month. This is the most horrible and difficult thing I have ever experienced in my life and my heart goes out to all of you who are suffering and fighting to survive this hell. I ‘m also astounded, disappointed and angry at all of the doctors and Psychiatrists who are so dismissive of this real condition and who have ignored my fears about the withdrawal syndrome and then labelled me as a ‘chronic depressive’. I hope one day this comes to public the attention and that the medical profession finally acknowledges the seriousness of this growing problem and that many people need help. The same kind of long term FREE medical rehabilitation that drug addicts and alcoholics are given."

Pink Slippers (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been on Prestiq 50 for 2 weeks, was previously on Effexor 75mg for 6 months. Doc has put me on the Prestiq because it is supposed to be easier to wean off of. I don't think these meds have helped my depression at all. The first few day on the Prestiq I was very dizzy, since then I am even more anxious and depressed. I am seeing my doc in a week to taper off these horrible meds. NEVER AGAIN. I also take Adderall XR 25mg twice daily for ADHD, these meds usually calm me. I am now having to take Klonopin daily just to get by. Also my hairdresser noticed how much HAIR LOSS I've had. I still don't know if this is from stress, the Effexor, Adderall or my birth control pills, since all meds can have this effect."

crazygirl66 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was started on Pristiq 50mg a year ago when my moods started to get out of control, as well as my anger. I was so angry all the time, and I felt like I was always on the verge of crying. I experienced no side effects whatsoever from the Pristiq, and felt a noticable difference within a week. I'm not angry for no reason any more, and I don't feel like I have to cry when I drop a spoon. This medication worked wonders for my depression, anxiety, anger and invasive thoughts. My doctor increased the dose to 100mg after I plummeted emotionally, despite the Pristiq. The increased dosage worked! I've been on 100mg for 6 months with no side effects and no complaints."

diceable (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wish i was told what would happen!!! The wonder drug. No depression. Little anxiety. Seemed like my problems were fixed with one little wonder pill. 50mg pristiq a day... Its been 8 months and i barely feel anything. This is no way to live life. Sure, im not as suisidal, not as anxious, not as depressed and im not flipping my lid every other day but i am numb, bored, barely characteristic, i dont find joy often nor do i care to create it. This is no quick fix!! Also, in that 8 months i have gone from 57kg to 66kg. Not a welcomed weight gain! Sex life is shit, affecting my relationship as my needs and wants have changed to nearly not caring wether i have it or not. But the worst part, IS MISSING A DOSE! I cant funtion without it.."

Jessgirl91 October 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Pristiq a little over a month ago, and it took over 2 months for the company to accept me into the program. Im only 18 and don't usually prescribe this medication to people who are around 18. But since I am younger, the medicine is completely free which is nice. I took a DNA test which tells you which medication is most efficient and this was the 1/3 on the list for antidepressants. Haven't had many side effects, but over the more time I take it I feel more numb. However, I didn't take the medicine for 2 days and the withdrawal is horrid."

Toucat September 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Pristiq at 100 mg for several years; I was happy and positive, free from anxiety and depression. Earlier this year I made the mistake of tapering and discontinuing the med d/t feeling dependent and sexual side effects. I ended up having difficulty w/ memory and would cry at everything. I have tried to go back on and after 12 weeks I've made improvements but no where near where I felt before...I function but I have difficulty sleeping, have crying spells, and feel terribly depressed especially in the am. I'm going to now try Lexapro since it worked for a close relative; hoping it helps me turn the corner. If you're on Pristiq and it's working, don't stop! Discontinuing this med was a big mistake for me."

mafromne August 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No effects, no side effects, no nothing Pristiq was touted as a powerful anti-depressant with an anti-anxiety drug built in. Besides clinical depression, I struggle with PTSD, agoraphobia, and anxiety disorders. All the years on Pristiq, my mood ranged from nervous to suicidal. I had several anxiety attacks, always in public places, and certainly was not capable of a normal life. About two weeks ago, I decided to stop my 150mg @ day dose. I experienced no withdrawls. My head was clear. I began to set & meet small goals. I cry a lot, for example, over music. But it's good crying. My thoughts can sometimes be labeled "irrational", e.g., I often believe my scripts are placebos. No more Pristiq."

jennie (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"PROS- no weight gain, possible sleep aid qualities CONS-withdrawal (no, it's not like coming off of heroin, I can promise you, but it did cause a rapidly increasing depression) BONUS-There's a coupon on Pristiq's website to get it for $15"

SquidWitch July 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm not a doctor, but I want everyone who's reading this to know: EVERYONE REACTS DIFFERENTLY TO MEDICINE. Pristiq didn't work for me, unfortunately. I was on the lowest Mg. It didn't do anything when I took it, but man...when I didn't take it...it was like I was having an "out of body experience." It was the weirdest feeling. Not like a "cool" high. It was uncomfortable and annoying. I kept taking it in hopes of it helping my suicidal thoughts, and major anxiety. Now, all antidepressants CAN increase suicidal thoughts. Pristiq definitely increased these bad thoughts. I threw up before work (anxiety) & was always a nervous wreck. I'm off the medicine now. Going back to the doctors to talk about other options. God bless all of you."

Cnewell9393 June 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the only medication that has worked for me and I've tried just about all of them out there. This will be the 3rd time I've started and stopped it but that was only because of the high cost. Now I found out there's financial assistance (after ALL the money I've shelled out ahhhhhhhhhh)!!!!!! I can't wait for this to kick in (day 2 being back on it) because I know I will feel like my old self again. Can't wait!!!!!"

Want2bmeAGAIN June 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Switched from Cipralex (escitalopram) as it made me so sleepy all the time and very sweaty at night. Pristiq gave me 0 side effects and I noticed a change in my energy level pretty much right away. I felt much better all day, and would sleep great at night. I also tried Effexor (venlafaxine) since Pristiq has no generic brand and was very pricey without a drug plan, however Effexor gave me horrible side effects! Terrible insomnia at night (trouble falling asleep and would wake up every hour, mind racing, hard time falling back asleep), tired throughout the day, and very fidgety legs and feet at night while sitting still or laying in bed. Also noticed I would lock my jaw tightly. Also caused very dry mouth regardless of how much I drank."

cmd7403 June 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed 50mg daily, First week I suffered insomnia so bad I had to get temazepam to sleep, after it settled I basically compared it to taking ecstasy without a comedown, be up listening to music, the flowers seemed to be more colourful, lost 10kilos (the 10 O put on when on another antidepressants mirtazapam i think it was) but yes pristiq was life changing, I do worry that being stimulated like an amphetamine, dilated pupils, smiling for no particular reason, confident will probably take years off my life at that rate, stopped taking after 12 months them to see how I'd go, second week clean, so irritable, angry, spiteful and nasty, just putrid mental state so started taking them again, and same thing seveer insomnia but worth it imo"

mitchhhh May 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was experiencing headaches, like by brain was wound tight w a Rubberband, didn't want to get our of bed, no reason to... my dr prescribed pristiq. It has been a life changer... head feels much better, depression is gone, life is happy again.... side effects are flu like symptoms, crashing, if I miss a dose. I take a .25 mg. I ha e tried to come off before and experienced severe headaches and flue like symptoms, and severe body aches.. so I got back on... it is expensive but I buy a 90 day generic supply thru Canadian pharmacy for 120.00. Ins doesnt pay due to out of the country but it is still less than what I wld have to pay in the us.."

Pay Mg.SGogetter (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Prisiq three weeks ago. Everything was going fine... no side effects. I decided to sit outside to get a little color before going to Florida. I sat outside for a half hour and I got a blistering sunburn!! I had a mild spf on my face from my lotion. DO NOT SIT IN THE SUN OR BE IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT IF TAKING THIS MEDICATION. WEAR LONG SLEEVES, HAT, SUNGLASSES!! WEAR AT LEAST SPF 30!! I decided to go off the medication because I was leaving for Florida and enjoy the beach and swimming! Went off without a taper and was fine, just a few brain zaps!! 3 days later feeling great being off it but still dealing with a bad sunburn now in Florida! I wish I knew. PLEASE DONT GO IN THE SUN IF TAKING THIS MEDICATION!!"

Wish I had known!! (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It worked for the first 6 months, but now I can't stay awake or do anything productive, and if I miss a dose I get brain shocks and debilitating migraines, so I'm weaning off it with help from the doc"

SHxoxoxoxoxox April 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used Pristiq for 8 days but couldn't tolerate the side effects. I was warned by my psychiatrist that the side effects could take 2-3 weeks, however, I couldn't afford to wait much. The side effects include: feeling thirsty, having thoughts of going mad, fear, palpitations, heat (had to be in a cold room or otherwise I'll feel anxious), heightened anger, panic attacks. The first few days of use were fine, but I had to discontinue because my work and social life suffered."

Moon Walk April 12, 2016