User Reviews for Pristiq (Page 2)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

"This was a big change in life with 50 mg taken at night for one week then went to 25mg in am. It's been 6 months and things are great. I take also First Nutrients Nutrivie a natural plant base every day with 5 oz of water and that has been the best thing for depression and anxiety! I wish more people new! It gives you your life back. Hoping everyone can feel good again."

Kingbear67 July 28, 2017

"I started pristiq 3 months ago and it has changed my life! I finally feel like I want to live. It all started with taking a DNA test and it recommended pristiq. I don't get those really low days anymore. I love pristiq! I never thought I would feel better after trying medication after medication."

Katie4717 July 26, 2017

"I have been on 100mg of Pristiq for three years for depression and anxiety. Without question it has changed my life incredibly. I waited 47 years to have the courage to take an antidepressant and wish with all my heart I had met this medication in my 20's. I started on 50mg but after a two months reluctantly headed up to 100 ... my reservations were for nothing ... this medication has worked beautifully for me. I did have side effects in the first few weeks, beating heart, very thirsty and slight headaches, but they passed quickly and I have been amazed by its strength ever since. I have had some serious life crises to deal with in the past three years ... and often feared the medication would not be able to 'hold' me ... it always has. I have an amazing therapist who I saw for the first two years but no longer need that support, the medication is enough. I used to have so many concerns about taking any such medications - was frequently turned away from them by what I'd read as horror stories online ... I wanted to let you know ... it's not for all of us ... some of us do have great reviews ... maybe not enough of us drop back to pass them on because we got busy with our new lives where wellness is the new normal. I never worry about coming off them, I don't care if I have to take them forever ... as long as I feel this good I'm not ending my relationship with them ..."

Finally healthy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2017

"After five antidepressants this is the one that brought me back to myself. I'm not 100%, but I was at 40% and now 80% myself. I am able to laugh again, appreciate the beauty of the out doors, and to enjoy my kids without yelling due to being constantly overwhelmed. My insurance switched me to generic pristiq and within a month I started feeling the anxiety and depression return. I was back to feeling like a zombie and in addition had withdraw symptoms from stopping the name brand pristiq including headaches, fatigue, muscle aches, and insomnia. I have switched back to name brand 4 days ago and feel a tiny bit better, but praying name brand pristiq kicks back in quicker. No generic!"

Plutohomer (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2017

"Originally I would have given this drug 10/10. I had anxiety so bad that at one point I could not even leave the house without having a panic attack. On Pristiq, from my experience, a few wonderful things will happen: 1. You couldn't have a panic attack if you tried to talk yourself into it. 2. You will not gain weight (I lost weight originally and then went back to normal after 6 months). 3. Your depression will subside - though there is a BUT with that. The not great: 1. It is really hard to get off of, brain zaps, no step down options. 2. You become a bit zombie-like, lost creativity etc. A lot of not caring so much. 3. Sexual side-effects, though they do improve over time. Solid 5/10"

beesy24 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 21, 2017

"I took one dose and ended up in the ER with a horrible pounding, predominately right sided migraine. Along with about 6 hours of vomiting. It had to have been the worst migraine of my life."

xixi (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

"I've been on 100mg Pristiq for 6 years for panic and depression. Prior, I had been on 150mg Effexor XR for 7 years. For panic, this drug is excellent. If you've experienced "brain shivers" or "shocks" when missing a dose on other medications, this one has managed to remove them, which I feel is great. I want to note, that you will get withdrawal headaches every so often on Pristiq which can be slept off. Over the years, I found that I had a more stable experience when taking my 100mg dose at intervals of 50mg at breakfast and the other 50mg at bedtime. This strategy attempts to keep your body with a consistent supply so you are "topped up" to minimize the withdrawl effects."

ExerciseToo June 7, 2017

"I have been on pretty much every antidepressant that is out there. Nothing has really helped and the few times I felt a slight improvement in my condition, the side effects outweighed the benefits. Pristiq has been totally different. Within a week of starting it I see a positive change. My overall mood is better, I have more energy, and I am more productive. Also, when my mood does take a dip, it seems that the "bottom" has been raised. In other words, the lows aren't as low as they once were. I have only been on it a couple of weeks and I am told that I still may not be experiencing the full benefit, which is great considering how much better I already feel. No side effects whatsoever. Very grateful for this medication."

Much Better (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

"I was on Celexa for 5 years before it stopped working. Took the DNA test and celexa and others were in red but pristiq was green. Pristiq I took for 2 months and it was the worst hell I've ever gone through. Ditched the DNA test as it's garbage and been on zoloft for 5 months with good results again"

Matt4567 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

"I am almost 24 and have been on pristiq for about 5 weeks. I am now up to 100 mg but started at 50. I have no negative side effects besides maybe a light headache. I have been on over 10 anti-depressents in the past with nothing but bad side effects and had sworn them off 6 years ago. Nothing worked for my anxiety and depression in the past besides of course my take as needed klonopin. Pristig has been good. No side effects or appetite increase. I am also going through an extremely tough and stressful time in life at this point and once I was upped to 100 mg, I have noticed an increase in my mood positively. Like I said, I had sworn off meds for years, but I feel like this one may be working. Give it a try and work with your doctor"

Nat attack (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2017

"I tried Pristiq, which had been listed on my Genesight review in the positive column. Was on it for three weeks and had to stop as I had developed hypermania: no sleep, talkative, spending, messy, walking around confused and generally felt very high. Felt very unsafe driving and was also eating everything in sight until I had a stomach ache. Gained weight and just felt plain bloated. While I recognized that something was wrong, I was not thinking straight enough too judge. Fortunately, the prescriber recognized it and I am now stopped 3 days. Don't feel great, but I am glad I was not on it long enough to have withdrawal problems."

jmsagain April 29, 2017

"I'm taking Pristiq for the second time, I have experienced episodes of depression since 14 or 15 but always managed to come out eventually by my own means. When I was 28 I took Pristiq for the first time because I had a lot of anxiety and was depressed. My side effects were some mild headaches, feeling sleepy during the day, waking up during night. Now I'm 31 and was feeling very angry, anxious and depressed because a "professional failure". I'm on day 3 taking 50mg in the morning and my mood and anxiety are better already but feel sleepy during the day and wake up in the middle of the night feeling ready to go for a full day. "

I know I have potential but... (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

"I have BPD II, PTSD & anxiety with agoraphobia. I've tried a LOT of different meds & gone unmedicated as well, probably over the last 15 years or so. Right now, I'm on Lithium 900mg. Just stopped Gabapentin 900-1200mg. On Desvenlafaxine 100mg (start, 50mg) about 1 year - Since I started, I've been lifted out of a suicidal & debilitating depression. Take into consideration lithium, my moods are more levelled out and I don't feel like crying at the drop of a hat. I don't feel completely hopeless. However, I do feel unnecessarily agitated, sleep issues - too much or insomnia, low energy, incessant nausea. I've also gained an incredible amount of weight, without appetite. DNA test "Green-lit" Pristiqu... Going to see Dr. today."

S Dove April 13, 2017

"I recently took a DNA test which determines which best antidepressants​ that your most compatible with since I'm very extremely sensitive to meds and pristiq was listed in the green column that would give no side effects, yeah right after nearly giving this med a fair two months trial of hell being on this toxic chemical I've encountered practically all the severe side effects reported from worsening depression of feeling hopeless and being in a thick fog everyday that made it almost impossible to hold a conversation and more like a robot, depersonalization / derealization, blurred vision along with seeing distorted objects and shapes that makes me sensitive to light, mood swings, horrible word finding difficulties, this med ain't me!"

kevin572 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2017

"Pristiq was great for me but seem to stop working after 5 years. Definitely start on the 25mg dose. Let your body get use to it, before increasing. I went to 50 mg but didn't like the side effects, so went back to 25 mg. Nothing else has worked as well, so I am thinking of giving Pristiq another try after trying numerous other drugs."

Ryskke10 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2017

"Gained 30 pounds while on prednisone. It was my 5th medicine to try. I was skeptical but it actually worked. Pristiq made me so sleepy and in a constant state of lala land. Gained 30 pounds while on prednisone and Started pristiq at the same time. I have gone a year and a half and still haven't lost the weight. It's different for everyone, and weight gain isn't normal, apparently. I tapered off the 100mg almost a month ago and now I have so much energy! On the meds I was still depressed but was ok with it. off the meds, I'm attacking the issues head on and trying to make up for the last 1.5 year stupor. I'd just had enough of missing out on life. Good meds if you want to sleep thru life and just not have to think about issues anymore."

Blondie80 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2017

"Started on 50mg now up to 100mg. The main side effect I am experiencing is tingling and numbness of the face, head and ears. The sensations vary location and intensity, usually peaking in the afternoon/evening 6-8 hours after ingestion. The overall effectiveness of the medication is unclear due to concurrent methamphetamine use, however I am feeling better than I was prior to commencing treatment."

Freakin (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

"I have been on Pristiq for at least six years for post-menopausal anxiety/depression. I tried several other medications without success, but this one is great. No side effects other than headache and mild nausea the first couple days. I feel "normal" 99% of the time - moods have evened out, almost no anxiety/irritability and have an overall happy feeling. I would take it in the morning, as it can cause mild insomnia. I will stay with this one."

waffles62 February 5, 2017

"My experience with this drug was definitely not positive. I was on 25mg for about 2 weeks and noticed little effect, so I increased to 50mg. About a week after increasing to the 50mg, I started having severe anxiety attacks for no reason. I am in college and I had to leave school because I couldn't handle it. It is so so horrible. This has continued for about a week now. I stopped taking it a few days ago and am still waiting for it to get out of my system because I feel so horrible. I am going back to my old drug, Zoloft, because I didn't have any issues."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

"MY PCP prescribed pristiq for my depression, anxiety, mood issues etc. He told me that the drug takes a few weeks before you could see a difference but I feel like I experienced everything the first day I took the drug. Although my mood and energy improved and felt better overall the side effects were so severe I decided to discontinue after the first day. My side effects started with heart palpitations, sweating, dizziness and a faint feeling. This later subsided but turned into nausea and loss of appetite I couldn't eat anything that day and even water made me gag. That night I slept for a total of 3 hours I couldn't stay asleep and the time I did fall asleep it felt like I wasn't asleep at all. My body felt numb and my heart was racing."

SaraS19952009 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

"Psychotropic medications are appropriate for the small percentage of us who would literally die by our own hands if we didn't take them. For that reason, their relative levels of effectiveness are often viewed by us through a completely different lens (realistically) than by those who take them for less serious reasons. Even bouts of major depression don't constitute a definite reason for taking pharmaceuticals. If it keeps you alive & lets you to work towards having something better BEYOND just 'existing', it's working. Try to reevaluate the manner in which YOU are evaluating the medication's effectiveness based upon what it is TRULY intended to do. As with everything in life, maintaining realistic goals & expectations is key to happiness."

Candles17 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

"Pristiq changed my life for the good. I tried others, this was the only one that worked and worked wonders for me. The only downside was a weight gain first year or two which is now under control."

John1111 January 25, 2017

"For a few weeks I had a dry mouth. I still waken during the night but straight back to sleep again. At the beginning some brain zap things. But I love it! This medication makes me feel normal, happy, awake and life is much better. A little concerned about coming off it but I'll deal with that at the time."

NouraMcC January 19, 2017

"I've tried many different medications over the years, and Pristiq has been the only one that I can seem to tolerate. I started on sample packs at 50 mg for a few months, and it was actually working, until my doctor's office conveniently ran out. I was forced to go on Effexor, and though it may be a similar drug, it is absolutely NOT the same. I felt shaky, agitated, and suicidal thoughts also came back while on it. Now finally back on Pristiq, and after two days, my anxiety/depression is almost completely gone. It's like some sort of "switch" went off in my brain. I don't feel desperate and I'm not texting someone 20 thousand times per day because I feel so suicidal and needy. I am a trashy mess without this drug."

Sarah F. January 18, 2017

"Anyone who appreciates their physical health as much as their mental health I'm warning/begging you not to take Pristiq. It's intolerable in every way. I've been on it 4 weeks and 2 days. NO POSITIVE BENEFITS! However I have experienced the following from Pristiq: severe nausea, vomiting, nightmares, night sweats, headaches and migraines, brain zaps, loss of concentration , blurred vision.... If I can help only one person to not put this horrid dug into their body this comment will be worth it. Please, do yourself a favor, ther are other drugs out there. I regret every single day on Pristiq. I feel even more depressed than when I began."

Jessthebest (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2017