User Reviews for Pristiq (Page 2)

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

"I know people react to medication differently, some have had great experience but most have seen the dark side of this medication. I've been on multiple medications, this is definitely the last one I will ever go on. My suicidal thoughts increased to almost daily, felt like self harming my self all the time. super irritable. I was only on the medication for 2 months, before I was on effexor for almost 2 years.. multiple medications before. I decided to wean off of it with the help of the pharmacist for a month.. after officially off of them I have never felt something so horrible as these withdrawal symptoms. so dizzy I couldn't get off out of bed for 4 days, brain zaps, shaking uncontrollably, hit and cold flashes.. ect. BE CAREFUL"

cookieee (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have tried Zoloft, lexapro, effexor and they made me feel horrible. Pristiq is different. I added it to my wellbutrin SR and Adderall daily. Calms me and drastically reduced my anxiety without making me drowsy. It works within a couple days! Worth a shot. Try it. It could change your life."

mamakitty3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Great drug!"

HTOOOOO November 3, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This poison never helped my anxiety or depression. I am currently weaning off & it is HELL. I do not recommended this med. I've also lost 1/2 my hair in the 6 months I've been on it. Only 22 years old."

Crzygirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 28, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I’m currently in month 11 of a Pristiq taper. I have tried several times over the past 20 years to stop SSRI or SNRI including Effexor and Pristiq but have experienced such horrible withdrawal symptoms that I have not been able to stop taking them. So basically I have been dependant on these drugs for 20 years, not because I really need them, but because my brain reacts violently due to withdrawal. This time I’m reducing the dose extremely slowly and it has been better than previous attempts, although I’m finding the past few weeks very, very difficult because I’m down to a quarter of a tablet every two days. I’ve been reducing the dose about 12mg-25mg at a time and staying on that dose for one month. This is the most horrible and difficult thing I have ever experienced in my life and my heart goes out to all of you who are suffering and fighting to survive this hell. I ‘m also astounded, disappointed and angry at all of the doctors and Psychiatrists who are so dismissive of this real condition and who have ignored my fears about the withdrawal syndrome and then labelled me as a ‘chronic depressive’. I hope one day this comes to public the attention and that the medical profession finally acknowledges the seriousness of this growing problem and that many people need help. The same kind of long term FREE medical rehabilitation that drug addicts and alcoholics are given."

Pink Slippers (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 15, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been on Prestiq 50 for 2 weeks, was previously on Effexor 75mg for 6 months. Doc has put me on the Prestiq because it is supposed to be easier to wean off of. I don't think these meds have helped my depression at all. The first few day on the Prestiq I was very dizzy, since then I am even more anxious and depressed. I am seeing my doc in a week to taper off these horrible meds. NEVER AGAIN. I also take Adderall XR 25mg twice daily for ADHD, these meds usually calm me. I am now having to take Klonopin daily just to get by. Also my hairdresser noticed how much HAIR LOSS I've had. I still don't know if this is from stress, the Effexor, Adderall or my birth control pills, since all meds can have this effect."

crazygirl66 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was started on Pristiq 50mg a year ago when my moods started to get out of control, as well as my anger. I was so angry all the time, and I felt like I was always on the verge of crying. I experienced no side effects whatsoever from the Pristiq, and felt a noticable difference within a week. I'm not angry for no reason any more, and I don't feel like I have to cry when I drop a spoon. This medication worked wonders for my depression, anxiety, anger and invasive thoughts. My doctor increased the dose to 100mg after I plummeted emotionally, despite the Pristiq. The increased dosage worked! I've been on 100mg for 6 months with no side effects and no complaints."

diceable (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2016

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wish i was told what would happen!!! The wonder drug. No depression. Little anxiety. Seemed like my problems were fixed with one little wonder pill. 50mg pristiq a day... Its been 8 months and i barely feel anything. This is no way to live life. Sure, im not as suisidal, not as anxious, not as depressed and im not flipping my lid every other day but i am numb, bored, barely characteristic, i dont find joy often nor do i care to create it. This is no quick fix!! Also, in that 8 months i have gone from 57kg to 66kg. Not a welcomed weight gain! Sex life is shit, affecting my relationship as my needs and wants have changed to nearly not caring wether i have it or not. But the worst part, IS MISSING A DOSE! I cant funtion without it.."

Jessgirl91 October 4, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Pristiq a little over a month ago, and it took over 2 months for the company to accept me into the program. Im only 18 and don't usually prescribe this medication to people who are around 18. But since I am younger, the medicine is completely free which is nice. I took a DNA test which tells you which medication is most efficient and this was the 1/3 on the list for antidepressants. Haven't had many side effects, but over the more time I take it I feel more numb. However, I didn't take the medicine for 2 days and the withdrawal is horrid."

Toucat September 29, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Pristiq at 100 mg for several years; I was happy and positive, free from anxiety and depression. Earlier this year I made the mistake of tapering and discontinuing the med d/t feeling dependent and sexual side effects. I ended up having difficulty w/ memory and would cry at everything. I have tried to go back on and after 12 weeks I've made improvements but no where near where I felt before...I function but I have difficulty sleeping, have crying spells, and feel terribly depressed especially in the am. I'm going to now try Lexapro since it worked for a close relative; hoping it helps me turn the corner. If you're on Pristiq and it's working, don't stop! Discontinuing this med was a big mistake for me."

mafromne August 6, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"No effects, no side effects, no nothing Pristiq was touted as a powerful anti-depressant with an anti-anxiety drug built in. Besides clinical depression, I struggle with PTSD, agoraphobia, and anxiety disorders. All the years on Pristiq, my mood ranged from nervous to suicidal. I had several anxiety attacks, always in public places, and certainly was not capable of a normal life. About two weeks ago, I decided to stop my 150mg @ day dose. I experienced no withdrawls. My head was clear. I began to set & meet small goals. I cry a lot, for example, over music. But it's good crying. My thoughts can sometimes be labeled "irrational", e.g., I often believe my scripts are placebos. No more Pristiq."

jennie (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"PROS- no weight gain, possible sleep aid qualities CONS-withdrawal (no, it's not like coming off of heroin, I can promise you, but it did cause a rapidly increasing depression) BONUS-There's a coupon on Pristiq's website to get it for $15"

SquidWitch July 9, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm not a doctor, but I want everyone who's reading this to know: EVERYONE REACTS DIFFERENTLY TO MEDICINE. Pristiq didn't work for me, unfortunately. I was on the lowest Mg. It didn't do anything when I took it, but man...when I didn't take it...it was like I was having an "out of body experience." It was the weirdest feeling. Not like a "cool" high. It was uncomfortable and annoying. I kept taking it in hopes of it helping my suicidal thoughts, and major anxiety. Now, all antidepressants CAN increase suicidal thoughts. Pristiq definitely increased these bad thoughts. I threw up before work (anxiety) & was always a nervous wreck. I'm off the medicine now. Going back to the doctors to talk about other options. God bless all of you."

Cnewell9393 June 23, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the only medication that has worked for me and I've tried just about all of them out there. This will be the 3rd time I've started and stopped it but that was only because of the high cost. Now I found out there's financial assistance (after ALL the money I've shelled out ahhhhhhhhhh)!!!!!! I can't wait for this to kick in (day 2 being back on it) because I know I will feel like my old self again. Can't wait!!!!!"

Want2bmeAGAIN June 18, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Switched from Cipralex (escitalopram) as it made me so sleepy all the time and very sweaty at night. Pristiq gave me 0 side effects and I noticed a change in my energy level pretty much right away. I felt much better all day, and would sleep great at night. I also tried Effexor (venlafaxine) since Pristiq has no generic brand and was very pricey without a drug plan, however Effexor gave me horrible side effects! Terrible insomnia at night (trouble falling asleep and would wake up every hour, mind racing, hard time falling back asleep), tired throughout the day, and very fidgety legs and feet at night while sitting still or laying in bed. Also noticed I would lock my jaw tightly. Also caused very dry mouth regardless of how much I drank."

cmd7403 June 15, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prescribed 50mg daily, First week I suffered insomnia so bad I had to get temazepam to sleep, after it settled I basically compared it to taking ecstasy without a comedown, be up listening to music, the flowers seemed to be more colourful, lost 10kilos (the 10 O put on when on another antidepressants mirtazapam i think it was) but yes pristiq was life changing, I do worry that being stimulated like an amphetamine, dilated pupils, smiling for no particular reason, confident will probably take years off my life at that rate, stopped taking after 12 months them to see how I'd go, second week clean, so irritable, angry, spiteful and nasty, just putrid mental state so started taking them again, and same thing seveer insomnia but worth it imo"

mitchhhh May 29, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was experiencing headaches, like by brain was wound tight w a Rubberband, didn't want to get our of bed, no reason to... my dr prescribed pristiq. It has been a life changer... head feels much better, depression is gone, life is happy again.... side effects are flu like symptoms, crashing, if I miss a dose. I take a .25 mg. I ha e tried to come off before and experienced severe headaches and flue like symptoms, and severe body aches.. so I got back on... it is expensive but I buy a 90 day generic supply thru Canadian pharmacy for 120.00. Ins doesnt pay due to out of the country but it is still less than what I wld have to pay in the us.."

Pay Mg.SGogetter (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 11, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Prisiq three weeks ago. Everything was going fine... no side effects. I decided to sit outside to get a little color before going to Florida. I sat outside for a half hour and I got a blistering sunburn!! I had a mild spf on my face from my lotion. DO NOT SIT IN THE SUN OR BE IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT IF TAKING THIS MEDICATION. WEAR LONG SLEEVES, HAT, SUNGLASSES!! WEAR AT LEAST SPF 30!! I decided to go off the medication because I was leaving for Florida and enjoy the beach and swimming! Went off without a taper and was fine, just a few brain zaps!! 3 days later feeling great being off it but still dealing with a bad sunburn now in Florida! I wish I knew. PLEASE DONT GO IN THE SUN IF TAKING THIS MEDICATION!!"

Wish I had known!! (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It worked for the first 6 months, but now I can't stay awake or do anything productive, and if I miss a dose I get brain shocks and debilitating migraines, so I'm weaning off it with help from the doc"

SHxoxoxoxoxox April 19, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used Pristiq for 8 days but couldn't tolerate the side effects. I was warned by my psychiatrist that the side effects could take 2-3 weeks, however, I couldn't afford to wait much. The side effects include: feeling thirsty, having thoughts of going mad, fear, palpitations, heat (had to be in a cold room or otherwise I'll feel anxious), heightened anger, panic attacks. The first few days of use were fine, but I had to discontinue because my work and social life suffered."

Moon Walk April 12, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Absolutely no side effects. I lost weight on this medication, however if you do not want to lose weight, talk to your psychiatrist and they can prescribe medications that can help you gain weight if you are underweight. This medication worked perfectly on my depression and I have not relapsed since I was weaned off it. No sexual side effects, it actually helped my sex life I am so happy I tried it."

Anonj26 April 11, 2016

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just over a month a go I went to see my GP after several weeks of battling my old foe the old black dog was not only back he was barking loudly. I was I admit surprised that my GP who I have only known for three years and who hasn’t previously seen me depressed spotted my change in mood before I had had chance to tell him how I was feeling. I walked out holding a script for a new drug Pristiq and began the medication the following day. My next appointment to see how I was coping was for last Monday. One of the side effects of Pristiq is according to the warning sheet my pharmacist gave me was hyper-wakefulness. Needless to say I had a paradoxical effect I have spent a month falling a sleep during the day. Later sleeping eight to ten hours at night. Due to the most awful pharmaceutical hangovers I needed to get up at 6 am in order to be in a fit state to drive by 7.30. My doctor found this interesting but urged me to continue taking the drug as he felt sure it would help my illness saying I needed to be on it for twelve months. However, in the past seven nights things have gone from bad to worse. Every night has been disturbed by the most frightful nightmares. Night sweats and terror on waking from the most vivid of horrors. On Friday night I lay awake forcing myself to stay awake, I was far too frightened of returning into this new nightmare world to sleep. My fearful dreams kept me from my bed the following night for several hours I finally went to bed in the early hours I slept fitfully my dreams were again frightening to say the very least luckily I can’t recall them in detail by midmorning. It was on Saturday that I decided that enough is enough depression is more than sufficient without entering a nocturnal world of fear and torment. While I was only on Pristiq for five weeks it was five weeks I’m not about to forget any day soon. When the treatment is worse than the illness it is time to stop; take stock and in my case back away. I know that I most probably should have spoken to my doctor but it was Easter and I couldn’t see him so I made my own decision. Now only time will tell if my decision was the right one. But one thing I do know is as a drug Pristiq is not for me. Even at its loudest a barking black dog is less scary than a night on Pristiq."

daveloch/oz March 28, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"What they didn't tell me is how dependent you get on it. It started off I could miss a few days and not feel anything. Then I would feel it if I missed one or 2 days but I would just be a little more down. Now if I miss a day I can't function and if I miss 2 it gets really scary. It's only happened once or twice while I've been on it but by the second or third day missed I am not myself. I'm anxious, my jaw hurts, I can't sleep, crying fits are common, vomiting and headaches are constant. During this time there are stages that are worse than other but 'brain zaps' and dizziness are common. I've also seen and heard things and overall it feels like you are high and is the most awful thing I've ever experienced. It's made the med not worth it."

Dhrykendb (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken this medicine for 8 months ish, at first i felt no difference but at around 3 months I also started lifting weights and dieting. I think that if I had only worked out I wouldnt have felt and different but because of the pristiq I feel much better"

celia99 March 26, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this drug for some stress and anxiety experienced due to some work life balance issues. I took it for 5 days only. By day 3 i could not stay awake or focus and let alone feel OK to drive. I felt sick and had excessive sweats. Constipated and headaches, i stopped on day 5. Day 6 and 7 symptoms continued with lots of nightmare and night sweats and shakes. never again."

Berty50 March 15, 2016