User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Depression 554 reviews 80 medications

7.3
Major Depressive Disorder 34 reviews 46 medications

6.4
Summary of Pristiq reviews 588 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Pristiq

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking Pristiq 200mg for over 2 years and it has worked well for me. I have tried a number of SSRIs and this has been the best but isn't perfect. If I forget to take my tablets at breakfast time by mid afternoon I feel very nauseous, lose balance and feel tired. Routine is important with these tablets. Side effects for me include, some sexual performance issues, some weight gain and poor short term memory. I have had problems with generic versions of pristiq so stick to the real stuff now."

MickGP (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I have been on Pristiq for at least six years for post-menopausal anxiety/depression. I tried several other medications without success, but this one is great. No side effects other than headache and mild nausea the first couple days. I feel "normal" 99% of the time - moods have evened out, almost no anxiety/irritability and have an overall happy feeling. I would take it in the morning, as it can cause mild insomnia. I will stay with this one."

waffles62 February 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "My experience with this drug was definitely not positive. I was on 25mg for about 2 weeks and noticed little effect, so I increased to 50mg. About a week after increasing to the 50mg, I started having severe anxiety attacks for no reason. I am in college and I had to leave school because I couldn't handle it. It is so so horrible. This has continued for about a week now. I stopped taking it a few days ago and am still waiting for it to get out of my system because I feel so horrible. I am going back to my old drug, Zoloft, because I didn't have any issues."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "MY PCP prescribed pristiq for my depression, anxiety, mood issues etc. He told me that the drug takes a few weeks before you could see a difference but I feel like I experienced everything the first day I took the drug. Although my mood and energy improved and felt better overall the side effects were so severe I decided to discontinue after the first day. My side effects started with heart palpitations, sweating, dizziness and a faint feeling. This later subsided but turned into nausea and loss of appetite I couldn't eat anything that day and even water made me gag. That night I slept for a total of 3 hours I couldn't stay asleep and the time I did fall asleep it felt like I wasn't asleep at all. My body felt numb and my heart was racing."

SaraS19952009 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "Psychotropic medications are appropriate for the small percentage of us who would literally die by our own hands if we didn't take them. For that reason, their relative levels of effectiveness are often viewed by us through a completely different lens (realistically) than by those who take them for less serious reasons. Even bouts of major depression don't constitute a definite reason for taking pharmaceuticals. If it keeps you alive & lets you to work towards having something better BEYOND just 'existing', it's working. Try to reevaluate the manner in which YOU are evaluating the medication's effectiveness based upon what it is TRULY intended to do. As with everything in life, maintaining realistic goals & expectations is key to happiness."

Candles17 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "Pristiq changed my life for the good. I tried others, this was the only one that worked and worked wonders for me. The only downside was a weight gain first year or two which is now under control."

John1111 January 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "For a few weeks I had a dry mouth. I still waken during the night but straight back to sleep again. At the beginning some brain zap things. But I love it! This medication makes me feel normal, happy, awake and life is much better. A little concerned about coming off it but I'll deal with that at the time."

NouraMcC January 19, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I've tried many different medications over the years, and Pristiq has been the only one that I can seem to tolerate. I started on sample packs at 50 mg for a few months, and it was actually working, until my doctor's office conveniently ran out. I was forced to go on Effexor, and though it may be a similar drug, it is absolutely NOT the same. I felt shaky, agitated, and suicidal thoughts also came back while on it. Now finally back on Pristiq, and after two days, my anxiety/depression is almost completely gone. It's like some sort of "switch" went off in my brain. I don't feel desperate and I'm not texting someone 20 thousand times per day because I feel so suicidal and needy. I am a trashy mess without this drug."

Sarah F. January 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "Anyone who appreciates their physical health as much as their mental health I'm warning/begging you not to take Pristiq. It's intolerable in every way. I've been on it 4 weeks and 2 days. NO POSITIVE BENEFITS! However I have experienced the following from Pristiq: severe nausea, vomiting, nightmares, night sweats, headaches and migraines, brain zaps, loss of concentration , blurred vision.... If I can help only one person to not put this horrid dug into their body this comment will be worth it. Please, do yourself a favor, ther are other drugs out there. I regret every single day on Pristiq. I feel even more depressed than when I began."

Jessthebest (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "It's an amazing drug. I have started having GAD due to the nature of my job, I had tried several meds and nothing worked for me. Pristiq made a huge difference in my life, where I felt alive again. For people afraid of withdrawal symptoms, I have weaned off Pristiq over a period of 2 months with no issues. Now after 2 months pristiq free , I am scheduling an appointment with my GP to go back on pristiq as stress levels has heightened again. The only side affect I had was lower sex drive which can be stressful, yet manageable. That's the only reason I have rated it 9"

Hassan1234 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I just want to share my experience with Pristiq I had suffered depression since I was 15 and tried many antidepressants that made me hallucinate, gain weight and sleep all day. The day since my doctor changed my medicine to Pristiq my life has changed for ever I can safely say that my depression is completely gone. It also diminished my anxiety by 90%. I have absolutely no side effects no weight gain, tiredness, dizziness. On the contrary, it gives me energy, and I feel happy and calm all the time. I am more social, and I laugh and live life like I used to. Pristiq saved my life, and I know that for some people it may not be the best but if you are trying to look for a new antidepressant you should definitely try Pristiq."

Jessica Sanchez January 13, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "This med works well for norepinephrine uptake inhibition which is my problem. However, it can cause anorgasmia in men over 50 years of age. I can have an erection and sexual intercourse but I never finish the job. One of the side effects listed for this drug if you read the small print. I stopped using it years ago and still have side effects."

Senior M January 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I know one week of treatment is not a fair chance to give a medication to judge its effectiveness, I'm only reviewing the side effects. I was on the 50mg dose and the first 2-3 days were fine; no side effects noticed. However, my appetite significantly decreased to the point where I had to force myself to eat or I would go an entire day without eating. And I couldn't eat much when I did eat. I had cloudy urine and didn't have a strong flow; which made me think I had a UTI without the burning. Lower abdominal pain, some diarrhea. Lethargic all the time, no motivation to do anything. Not depressed, just didn't wanna get out of bed. Felt sleepy but couldn't sleep even with sleep mess. When I did sleep, it was very broken."

PomMom (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I have been taking 100 mg for about 6 years. I had moderate OCD, high anxiety, and then a diagnosis of depression before I started taking Pristiq. I have found it has reduced my OCD, anxiety and depression very well. Lately though I have been experiencing intrusive self-critical thoughts and excessive bruxosis (teeth grinding). I am 62 and have a heavy work load. My libido has been hugely reduced since starting on Pristiq although this may in part be due to menopause. I also occasionally experience what I would call LSD flashbacks, of a benign nature. The images I see, only at night, are of extraordinary beauty and are extremely detailed. When I open my eyes, I can still see the images. Has anyone else experienced this?"

Bingybong (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I couldn't be happier with Pristiq as it has helped me get back in the game of life again. I started taking Pristiq six weeks ago, following its recommendations and those who have had success on it. While on daily Pristiq, I also do 30 minutes of exercise (rebounding, walking, swimming), drink 2 litres of water, only 1 cup of coffee/ tea a day and no alcohol. Regular bedtime/risetime (8 hours min sleep). Quick results help me to persevere for 3 weeks to form new habits and get control of my life again. The rebounding offset my dizziness, nausea, sluggishness, constipation and "I-don't-feel-like-it"s. Pristiq and a healthier lifestyle have me feeling like my old self again, enjoying life, friendships, good health and work again."

Back in the game (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I took this for 4 months. It gave me awful almost dangerous constipation . I felt dumb most of the time. I was never sad nor happy. I wouldn't recommend this unless nothing else worked."

Lefty448510 December 22, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Major Depressive Disorder "Has worked for 9 years. A very good treatment for my serious, persistent major depression with psychotic features. No psychosis or depression."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 22, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I technically have bipolar II disorder and I'm a rapid-cycler, but most of the time I experience crippling depression. I take this along with Trileptal to curb any possible hypomanic side effects. I took a genetic test and this showed up on my list of drugs that were okay to take. I'm on 25 mg, which is technically a starter dose but I've found that it's more than plenty to help with my symptoms. Within the first couple of days, my depressive thinking (intrusive thoughts, suicidal thoughts, paranoia, etc.) and daily panic attacks went down to basically nothing. I have relatively low energy still, but it sure beats feeling suicidal and anxious all the time. The only side effects I have is constipation and if I take it too late, insomnia."

Catman22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "For years I refused medication for my depression and anxiety disorder. I had tried a few in the past (Lexapro, Effexor etc) but they hadn't helped or caused me to gain weight. After having my baby my anxiety and depression became so bad I couldn't leave the house. I met another lady who suggested this medication. I was really hesitant but I had to try something for my babies sake. This medication has really changed my life. I am A different person completely. I feel strong and don't remember the last time I cried (I use to be a daily cryer!). I am still anxious sometimes but life doesn't seem so hard anymore. Everyone that knows me has noticed the difference in me. It took about three days to get use to it, but it's been great since."

Aubs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 11, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Major Depressive Disorder "Im 28 years old.. always been anxious, depressed and I have ADHD. I tried medication for my deficit disorder before ( concerta, vyvanse, ritalin ) I always had major heart palpitation on them and always had to stop. ( took it max for 2 weeks ) About 1 month ago I lived a shitty separation and I was very depressed, the worst breakup I experienced in my life.. i was constantly anxious, no appetite, concerned, couldnt work couldnt sleep, constantly sad and miserable... I went to see my doctor and asked for help... for something to boost my mood, control my anxiety and the most important..no weight gain. Im on it since a month and honestly I lost 10 pounds. I have no side effects and I feel better than ever. Im happy and smiling all the time"

Marylenaaaa November 23, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I know people react to medication differently, some have had great experience but most have seen the dark side of this medication. I've been on multiple medications, this is definitely the last one I will ever go on. My suicidal thoughts increased to almost daily, felt like self harming my self all the time. super irritable. I was only on the medication for 2 months, before I was on effexor for almost 2 years.. multiple medications before. I decided to wean off of it with the help of the pharmacist for a month.. after officially off of them I have never felt something so horrible as these withdrawal symptoms. so dizzy I couldn't get off out of bed for 4 days, brain zaps, shaking uncontrollably, hit and cold flashes.. ect. BE CAREFUL"

cookieee (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Major Depressive Disorder "Almost a year ago, I suffered a major depressive episode and I have tried mulriple medications. Although I experienced some minimal success at being able to easy again and get out of bed, I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder as well as Generalized Anxiety. Being on a leave from work for months, I felt pretty defeated that I would be able to get back to "normal". I took a DNA test and my doctors and I decided to try Prestiq. In the first two weeks, I has almost no side effects but it did little for my mood too. Now that I am finishing up my 4th week, I am finally seeing good results. It's early, so I couldn't rate this med a 10 but I am hopeful. This CAN work but it's not a quick response! I think this one requires patience."

Ardelean32 November 12, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was on Effexor and Wellbutrin for several years and I have gained 20 lbs. That made me more depressed about myself. I told the PA I would like to try a new generation of anti depressants to see if anything changes. It has been a week and I feel great ! My anxiety has been greatly reduced! It is like how amazing life is without being afraid or worrying about everything. I still take the Wellbutrin and that is all I want to take. She wants to add Ability, that has so many bad side effects...it something to celebrate to not force a smile....good luck"

Raejebro November 11, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Major Depressive Disorder "Switched to Pristiq from SSRI after burning through most of the SSRIs and finding Wellbutrin was great but not enough. I had GeneSight and Pristiq and Fetzima were the only green a/ds that were green lighted. Started with 50, side effects waned after a few weeks, but didn't really kick in, so upped to 100 and lowered WB. It was awful. My memory has been destroyed on Pristiq, so I can't tell you what specifically but all of my symptoms worsened. Went right back to 50 and WB 450. Pristiq is ok. It helped the incredible sadness and hopelessness and affect/flatness, nothingness. Didn't help with motivation, getting out of bed, happiness, socialization, cognition. Switching to Fetzima and crossing fingers."

MDDMom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 9, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Depression "I have tried Zoloft, lexapro, effexor and they made me feel horrible. Pristiq is different. I added it to my wellbutrin SR and Adderall daily. Calms me and drastically reduced my anxiety without making me drowsy. It works within a couple days! Worth a shot. Try it. It could change your life."

mamakitty3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2016