User Reviews for Pristiq

Major Depressive Disorder
6.1

Summary of Pristiq reviews 7.1 733 reviews

Reviews for Pristiq

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have suffered with anxiety and depression most of life. Been on sertaline and after so many years was not working for me, I felt I was going into a deeper depression. I went and changed my meds to pristiq, I can honestly say I feel so much better in myself, more focused, energy and starting to see things clearly then negative thoughts... I can honestly say it’s changed my life for the good :)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2019

For Depression "Great medication for anxiety and depression, my only complaint I have is I stay hungry all the time and I have low energy, but it’s better than having anxiety and depression!"

Sue (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2019

For Depression "Side effects Weight gain, constipated, bloating and pass wind a lot"

Tracka (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 18, 2019

For Depression "Don't take Pristiq , it makes you like a zombie with no emotions. Coming off this is also a nightmare"

Helen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 15, 2019

For Depression "When I started I had massive anxiety from PSTD I got all therapied out & have struggled with recurrent major depressive disorder for years. Been on a variety of antidepressants and I thought finally I found one that didn’t make me feel like I wasn’t me BUT 25mg stopped being enough so we moved up to 50mg. Once again, I was okay then had to move up to 75mg. This is where I’ve started feeling a warm sensation in my face, more specifically, my forehead that’s mildly agitating. I’ve started having dreams of being killed or dying I won’t be upping the dosage again due to the warmth in my head. Don’t really recommend even though it did help briefly but this dream and stuff problems are new."

Ouch (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I take 100 mg Pristiq with 7.5 mg Remeron. Pristiq did not do much on its own but this combination works wonders for my depression and anxiety. I am actually happy now! I had the Gene test done and both Remeron and Pristiq were recommended."

Khaleesi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 10, 2019

For Depression "I work with someone who has been off Prestiq for 5 month , but is still suffering with the side effects of this drug. Frontal lobe, feeling no reward or desire. Has anyone else had a similar experience. Would be interested to hear."

Glenn June 10, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I had headaches and nausea during the initial adjustment phase when starting Pristiq (for MDD). The only real long term side effects I’ve had is I definitely find it much harder to concentrate and I’m pretty flat all the time. I don’t get the highs, but more importantly I don’t get the lows which I have no doubt would have ended my life. It has allowed me to deal with what would normally be very stressful situations (redundancy, loss of contact with siblings) with ease as it just stops things getting on top of me and I have move of a ‘whatever’ attitude which at times makes me feel like an emotionless robot. I remind myself of how I used to deal with these situations and being a robot is FAR better for both me and my family. Anyone thinking of trying Pristiq needs to give it time as there will be an adjustment period. You can’t make any decisions after a week or two. You need to do at least a month-6 weeks for everything to adjust and settle down to see how it’s really working for you."

ShBoi June 9, 2019

For Depression "so I’m 19 and moved clinics yesterday & a doctor prescribed Pristiq yesterday and had my first one at 12 lunch time and like I felt nauseous and spewed up but had nothing in my stomach so lucky and I’ve felt weird all day (I thought I was pregnant yesterday, did pee test at doctors and doctor said I’m not pregnant) sooooo I’m assuming it’s the pills , and I have a bit of diarrhea heheh but apparently it takes ages to kick in??? But I feel much betterxx"

prolapse69 (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "Pristiq has done amazing for me. After several failed attempts at finding the right medication, Pristiq has been the best for me. Effexor was good but raised my BP to high. For those who say it makes them feel less yourself, how do you know what yourself is like when you're depressed? I don't know about feeling myself but it greatly increases my mood and decreases my depression and anxiety. I take 100mg a day. Also, ask your Dr. About getting genetic testing to find out which type of medication will do more for you. Not everyone who has depression has the same type. Some have dopamine defects and some serotonin/norepinephrine. Pristiq is for those with serotonin and norepinephrine. "

Steven (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 2, 2019

For Depression "I was prescribed more and more of this drug that helped me function BUT I have been try to get off of it for 7 years. 7 years of mediocre existence, of misery or the lie that I must need it otherwise I would not be so anxious and depressed when I try to stop. I am Australian we have a free but often an ineffectual health care so insurance is not an issue. Serious try everything else before you go down the drugs path."

Glassmith (taken for 10 years or more) June 1, 2019

"Taking Pristiq for mild depression and memory loss. Depression symptoms were moderately relieved for about the first 1-1.5 years but I seemed "flat" to others and myself, both are starting to return to pre medicated levels now though. My dreams have been so real and upsetting that I do not know if what happened in them is real or not, initially this was several times a week, it is now down to bi-weekly. The calve muscle cramps that initially happened 1-2 times weekly are best described as seizures with my leg being twisted into a pretzel while the muscle pulsates and writhes and will not release for usually 10-15 minutes and then feeling like it is torn up for a few days. This is down to about a monthly occurrence now."

Canuck (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 30, 2019

For Depression "I was on this Pristiq medication since I was nearly 17 years old, so for almost 3 years. I have tried prozac, lexapro, and cymbalta before trying Pristiq. I had taken a test called youscript to identify how my body metabolizes drugs. The results showed that I don't effectively metabolize most antidepressants. A psychiatrist said that my only solid option was Pristiq. It was much better than the other ones. It didn't effect my sleep, or cause daytime sleepiness, or make me feel emotionally numb like the other meds but it was harder to orgasm. The cost is $55-60 for 30 tablets of 50mg (BC, Canada). Fair Pharmacare doesn't cover it, so my student healthcare did not cover the cost either. I've been relying on my mother's healthcare plan. In Canada they don't have 25mg so I went from 50mg to nothing and it was rough the first week but I was off school & had no work so it was manageable. I wouldn't recommend this drug if you live in Canada because of the cost & there's no 25mg pill."

liv May 30, 2019

For Depression "Don’t be too scared to try Pristiq. Give it a chance. Everyone comes here to write horror stories but for me this really helped with my anxiety. If it works really well for people they don't tend to return to review as they are busy enjoying there lives. It also really helped me sleep and made me sleep feel more restful. The first few days taking it I had kind of migraine like symptoms, very tired, but just plan accordingly and know that will all most likely pass. Any antidepressant will have an adjustment period. The only lingering side effects I have are dry eyes and mouth especially in the morning. Good luck!"

butterfly72 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2019

"I was on Celexa (SSRI) for 6 years for GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and felt as if it lost its effectiveness. At this point I did a DNA test to determine which medication I would metabolize best. Pristiq was the only medication which showed that I would metabolize it well with no adjustments needed. I have been on Pristiq for 4 weeks now and have not noticed any benefits. This drug increased my heart rate significantly, which my new psychiatrist mentioned could be a side effect of taking an SNRI. I am now making the transition to take Lexapro (SSRI) and hope to see more benefits with lessened anxiety. I am a firm believer that one size does not fit all and that this medication benefits many, just not me."

AnxiousJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was put on Pristiq 10 years ago and it saved my life I had no side effects apart from dry mouth. Only 4 months ago I started to get anxiety and depression so I thought prisitiq was not working and decided to come off it and go on lexopro. This was worse thing I ever did. I had so many side effects on lexapro my body hated the SSRIs. I then decided to go back to Pristiq with lots of hard work. I was on Pristiq for 2 weeks and I feel amazing again no more depression or wanting my life to end. This drug has helped me so much and I am so grateful I found this amazing pill."

Ash (taken for 10 years or more) May 24, 2019

"I started taking Pristiq 4 weeks ago. I was on Celexa for 6 years and found that it worked well, but was suffering from panic attacks more frequently in the last year. I decided to take a GeneSight test and found that Pristiq was the only meditation I would be able to metabolize well. I have found that it has not been working as I would like it to and instead has made me more anxious. Specifically my heart rate has been much higher and my sleep has been disrupted. Spoke with a Psychiatrist today and will now be starting Lexapro. I am a firm believer that one med does not fit all. Pristiq may be great for some, but did not work well for me!"

AnxiousJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2019

For Depression "Have taken generic Pristiq for 2 weeks and have developed such a dry mouth that I have mouth ulcers. I had no other side effects and thought that this was going to work but apparently it is not. Took 50 mg daily."

Katy (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2019

For Depression "I've been on Pristiq for 8 months, and I haven't felt like myself ever since I started taking it, the only reason I'm giving it 3/10 is because it helped with my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). This caused me to be irritable as anything, I felt like I couldn't think straight, my mind was a whole mess, and the most ironic part is that pristiq was what my genesight test put in the green column. I'm now weaning off of it and will never take it again, these meds are something that you have to try and give time to work, just because it gave me problems doesn't mean it'll cause the same negative effect on you."

TacoCutie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 13, 2019

For Depression "Update on my experience with Pristiq, I’ve been taking 50mg for over 2 weeks now for depression and I am incredibly happy with the results no negative thoughts or depressing thoughts, so it is working. I can honestly say if I didn’t find this drug I would be dead In 5 years. Sad but true. I have everything anyone could ask for but my mind tells me otherwise, so selfish considering others in this world have to deal with a hell of a lot more!"

Mutaza (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2019

For Depression "I have been on Pristiq for five months. I have gained 10 pounds. I was placed on this medicine for mild depression and hot flashes as I had entered menopause. At first it helped, then I noticed my hot flashes we’re coming back twice as strong, but truly what troubles me more was the significant weight, gain. I try to reduce the loan amount that I have been given and found that I had such dizziness that I almost wrecked my car. I knew it had to be the medication as I drive for a living in sales. I’m so disappointed because it helps so much at first. I hope you have better luck"

Me (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2019

For Depression "I was switching from one medication to Pristiq. I gave it the full six weeks but found it did not get rid of any of my depression symptoms and actually caused my heart rate to increase and I felt more anxiety than before. After I told my husband I was coming off it he then told me that he was glad as I was zombie like when on it."

Sly (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2019

For Depression "I started Pristiq to help with anxiety, depression and chronic pain. The anxiety went totally away which was awesome (hence the 2 stars). Everything else sucked. It reduced my depression about 30%, pain about 10-20%. I looked at the most common side effects of Pristiq and they were increased or excessive sweating, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, constipation, sleep problems (insomnia), loss of appetite, tightness in your jaw , but for me I was so flat emotionally and ended up gaining 40 pounds, it was like my body never got the cue that I wasn't hungry. I also dealt with constipation, sexual side effects and general blahs. Going OFF the medication was the hardest part. I GAINED 10 pounds in a month going off it, I was in a ver dark place, VERY emotional and rage-y, and had severe dizziness for like two months. While not having anxiety was great, the apathy and weight gain as well as minimal depressive symptom relief made this one a no go for me."

cymbalta_sucks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2019

For Depression "I don’t even know how to explain my side effects from Pristiq. Call me crazy but I am certain I have felt instant side effects. About an hour into taking 50mg, I felt my stomach was upset. I ended up doing number two and it was not pleasant. Then an hour later I kept gagging. My body wanted to vomit but nothing came out. This happened about 4 times and I sat over the toilet bowl waiting for it to come out. Nothing eventuated. THEN, the jaw clenching????? My jaw has been clenched and I only realise this when I refer my attention to my jaw. The side effects are weird and I’m hoping this doesn’t happen on my next dose... if it does I will be very disheartened."

Lakalaka April 29, 2019

"After 30 years of various 'anti depressants' (Lexapro, Lamictal, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Prozac, amitriptyline Depakote, to name a few) My Doctor put me on 600mg Seroquel with 50 mg Pristiq. I kept explaining that I wasn't 'depressed', I just had high 'highs' and very low 'lows'-no happy medium. I was since diagnosed bi polar. This med combo has been AMAZING. I still have anxiety and insomnia, but xanax and lunesta help there. I no longer dread getting out of bed and I stopped having manic episodes. Imagine, misdiagnosed for 30 years, there was A LOT of self medicating going on since the anti depressive just didn't work. I consider myself lucky I found a doctor who actually listened to ME for once. Pristiq has helped tremendously."

Bethcat (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 29, 2019

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)