User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Depression 528 reviews 78 medications

7.4
Major Depressive Disorder 23 reviews 46 medications

6.3
Summary of Pristiq reviews 551 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Pristiq

For Depression "No effects, no side effects, no nothing Pristiq was touted as a powerful anti-depressant with an anti-anxiety drug built in. Besides clinical depression, I struggle with PTSD, agoraphobia, and anxiety disorders. All the years on Pristiq, my mood ranged from nervous to suicidal. I had several anxiety attacks, always in public places, and certainly was not capable of a normal life. About two weeks ago, I decided to stop my 150mg @ day dose. I experienced no withdrawls. My head was clear. I began to set & meet small goals. I cry a lot, for example, over music. But it's good crying. My thoughts can sometimes be labeled "irrational", e.g., I often believe my scripts are placebos. No more Pristiq."

jennie (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "This is the 4th medication I've been on and the hardest one to work through. I suffer from mainly anxiety and PTSD not so much depression. I am also extremely sensitive to medication and have experienced all of the side effects. Pristiq made me more depressed than ever, and knew this was not me. I was always tired, then I halved the pill and its worked wonders!! Anyone suffering mainly anxiety I suggest you do this before jumping ship. I have my energy back, and going to the gym almost everyday. I also dropped weight using this medication. I'm getting back my life after losing to this drug for almost 3 months. Please Try HALVING the tablet- best advice ever given :) Now I can go back on teaching rounds without suffering social anxiety."

Wildflower91 July 11, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I started prestiq on Tuesday July 5th 2016 again. And I have lost 9lbs already. I feel less depressed however I've been on it before and I will warn you do not skip taking it. The withdrawals are HELL!!"

Shelbryn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2016

For Depression "PROS- no weight gain, possible sleep aid qualities CONS-withdrawal (no, it's not like coming off of heroin, I can promise you, but it did cause a rapidly increasing depression) BONUS-There's a coupon on Pristiq's website to get it for $15"

SquidWitch July 9, 2016

For Depression "I'm not a doctor, but I want everyone who's reading this to know: EVERYONE REACTS DIFFERENTLY TO MEDICINE. Pristiq didn't work for me, unfortunately. I was on the lowest Mg. It didn't do anything when I took it, but man...when I didn't take it...it was like I was having an "out of body experience." It was the weirdest feeling. Not like a "cool" high. It was uncomfortable and annoying. I kept taking it in hopes of it helping my suicidal thoughts, and major anxiety. Now, all antidepressants CAN increase suicidal thoughts. Pristiq definitely increased these bad thoughts. I threw up before work (anxiety) & was always a nervous wreck. I'm off the medicine now. Going back to the doctors to talk about other options. God bless all of you."

Cnewell9393 June 23, 2016

For Depression "This is the only medication that has worked for me and I've tried just about all of them out there. This will be the 3rd time I've started and stopped it but that was only because of the high cost. Now I found out there's financial assistance (after ALL the money I've shelled out ahhhhhhhhhh)!!!!!! I can't wait for this to kick in (day 2 being back on it) because I know I will feel like my old self again. Can't wait!!!!!"

Want2bmeAGAIN June 18, 2016

For Depression "Switched from Cipralex (escitalopram) as it made me so sleepy all the time and very sweaty at night. Pristiq gave me 0 side effects and I noticed a change in my energy level pretty much right away. I felt much better all day, and would sleep great at night. I also tried Effexor (venlafaxine) since Pristiq has no generic brand and was very pricey without a drug plan, however Effexor gave me horrible side effects! Terrible insomnia at night (trouble falling asleep and would wake up every hour, mind racing, hard time falling back asleep), tired throughout the day, and very fidgety legs and feet at night while sitting still or laying in bed. Also noticed I would lock my jaw tightly. Also caused very dry mouth regardless of how much I drank."

cmd7403 June 15, 2016

For Depression "Prescribed 50mg daily, First week I suffered insomnia so bad I had to get temazepam to sleep, after it settled I basically compared it to taking ecstasy without a comedown, be up listening to music, the flowers seemed to be more colourful, lost 10kilos (the 10 O put on when on another antidepressants mirtazapam i think it was) but yes pristiq was life changing, I do worry that being stimulated like an amphetamine, dilated pupils, smiling for no particular reason, confident will probably take years off my life at that rate, stopped taking after 12 months them to see how I'd go, second week clean, so irritable, angry, spiteful and nasty, just putrid mental state so started taking them again, and same thing seveer insomnia but worth it imo"

mitchhhh May 29, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I took this for 8 mnths. I had a heart rate of 100 beats p/min at rest, teeth grinding, dry eyes among other side effects. The negative side effects far outweighed any tiny benefit. Coming off this drug can be likened to coming off heroin although I suspect heroin might be a tiny bit easier. I first tried to come off it from 50mg cold turkey. After 2 days it hit me and I got very, sick quickly. So I decided to try again but this time taper off & cut the pills (which you shouldn't do). After 2 months I got down to 1/4. Cutting the pills caused no issue and I didn't experience any ping pong with my brain but I did get horrendously ill again. The worst withdrawal ever. This drug should be banned."

Racmelb (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Have had experience with several other antidepressants and so far Pristiq has had 0 undesirable side effects. No allergic response, no first week horrors, no insomnia, nothing awful what-so-ever. I feel optimistic, happy and no longer manic. Hoping to check back in a few months time to give further updates."

ShimpyC (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2016

For Depression "I was experiencing headaches, like by brain was wound tight w a Rubberband, didn't want to get our of bed, no reason to... my dr prescribed pristiq. It has been a life changer... head feels much better, depression is gone, life is happy again.... side effects are flu like symptoms, crashing, if I miss a dose. I take a .25 mg. I ha e tried to come off before and experienced severe headaches and flue like symptoms, and severe body aches.. so I got back on... it is expensive but I buy a 90 day generic supply thru Canadian pharmacy for 120.00. Ins doesnt pay due to out of the country but it is still less than what I wld have to pay in the us.."

Pay Mg.SGogetter (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 11, 2016

For Depression "I started taking Prisiq three weeks ago. Everything was going fine... no side effects. I decided to sit outside to get a little color before going to Florida. I sat outside for a half hour and I got a blistering sunburn!! I had a mild spf on my face from my lotion. DO NOT SIT IN THE SUN OR BE IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT IF TAKING THIS MEDICATION. WEAR LONG SLEEVES, HAT, SUNGLASSES!! WEAR AT LEAST SPF 30!! I decided to go off the medication because I was leaving for Florida and enjoy the beach and swimming! Went off without a taper and was fine, just a few brain zaps!! 3 days later feeling great being off it but still dealing with a bad sunburn now in Florida! I wish I knew. PLEASE DONT GO IN THE SUN IF TAKING THIS MEDICATION!!"

Wish I had known!! (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Depression "It worked for the first 6 months, but now I can't stay awake or do anything productive, and if I miss a dose I get brain shocks and debilitating migraines, so I'm weaning off it with help from the doc"

SHxoxoxoxoxox April 19, 2016

For Depression "I used Pristiq for 8 days but couldn't tolerate the side effects. I was warned by my psychiatrist that the side effects could take 2-3 weeks, however, I couldn't afford to wait much. The side effects include: feeling thirsty, having thoughts of going mad, fear, palpitations, heat (had to be in a cold room or otherwise I'll feel anxious), heightened anger, panic attacks. The first few days of use were fine, but I had to discontinue because my work and social life suffered."

Moon Walk April 12, 2016

For Depression "Absolutely no side effects. I lost weight on this medication, however if you do not want to lose weight, talk to your psychiatrist and they can prescribe medications that can help you gain weight if you are underweight. This medication worked perfectly on my depression and I have not relapsed since I was weaned off it. No sexual side effects, it actually helped my sex life I am so happy I tried it."

Anonj26 April 11, 2016

For Depression "Just over a month a go I went to see my GP after several weeks of battling my old foe the old black dog was not only back he was barking loudly. I was I admit surprised that my GP who I have only known for three years and who hasn’t previously seen me depressed spotted my change in mood before I had had chance to tell him how I was feeling. I walked out holding a script for a new drug Pristiq and began the medication the following day. My next appointment to see how I was coping was for last Monday. One of the side effects of Pristiq is according to the warning sheet my pharmacist gave me was hyper-wakefulness. Needless to say I had a paradoxical effect I have spent a month falling a sleep during the day. Later sleeping eight to ten hours at night. Due to the most awful pharmaceutical hangovers I needed to get up at 6 am in order to be in a fit state to drive by 7.30. My doctor found this interesting but urged me to continue taking the drug as he felt sure it would help my illness saying I needed to be on it for twelve months. However, in the past seven nights things have gone from bad to worse. Every night has been disturbed by the most frightful nightmares. Night sweats and terror on waking from the most vivid of horrors. On Friday night I lay awake forcing myself to stay awake, I was far too frightened of returning into this new nightmare world to sleep. My fearful dreams kept me from my bed the following night for several hours I finally went to bed in the early hours I slept fitfully my dreams were again frightening to say the very least luckily I can’t recall them in detail by midmorning. It was on Saturday that I decided that enough is enough depression is more than sufficient without entering a nocturnal world of fear and torment. While I was only on Pristiq for five weeks it was five weeks I’m not about to forget any day soon. When the treatment is worse than the illness it is time to stop; take stock and in my case back away. I know that I most probably should have spoken to my doctor but it was Easter and I couldn’t see him so I made my own decision. Now only time will tell if my decision was the right one. But one thing I do know is as a drug Pristiq is not for me. Even at its loudest a barking black dog is less scary than a night on Pristiq."

daveloch/oz March 28, 2016

For Depression "What they didn't tell me is how dependent you get on it. It started off I could miss a few days and not feel anything. Then I would feel it if I missed one or 2 days but I would just be a little more down. Now if I miss a day I can't function and if I miss 2 it gets really scary. It's only happened once or twice while I've been on it but by the second or third day missed I am not myself. I'm anxious, my jaw hurts, I can't sleep, crying fits are common, vomiting and headaches are constant. During this time there are stages that are worse than other but 'brain zaps' and dizziness are common. I've also seen and heard things and overall it feels like you are high and is the most awful thing I've ever experienced. It's made the med not worth it."

Dhrykendb (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2016

For Depression "I have taken this medicine for 8 months ish, at first i felt no difference but at around 3 months I also started lifting weights and dieting. I think that if I had only worked out I wouldnt have felt and different but because of the pristiq I feel much better"

celia99 March 26, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I started on zoloft over five years ago when I had uncontrollable mood swings then changed to pristiq. The zoloft stopped the mood swings and I fairly quickly changed at the Doctors suggestion to pristiq and the improvement in my functioning continued - far better than I was before. About 4 months ago things were going so well I thought I could stop taking it and after speaking to the Doctor slowly reduced my dosage until I wasnt taking any. I then experienced a strong return of depression, anxiety and lack of drive. I am now one week into taking pristiq again and havent experienced any change yet but didnt expect to as it can take six weeks to work. On my previous experience with pristiq I highly recommend it."

Jacko x March 23, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed this drug for some stress and anxiety experienced due to some work life balance issues. I took it for 5 days only. By day 3 i could not stay awake or focus and let alone feel OK to drive. I felt sick and had excessive sweats. Constipated and headaches, i stopped on day 5. Day 6 and 7 symptoms continued with lots of nightmare and night sweats and shakes. never again."

Berty50 March 15, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "After being on numerous medications over the years, my doctor decided to try me on Pristiq. I started on 50 mg once daily and took it for about a month. I had headaches almost daily within that time and it increased my blood pressure, I felt like it wasn't making any changes in my mood or anxiety. Around the 6th week everything went downhill. Fits of crying and rage, anxiety came back worse than before, I had the worst migraines I'd ever experienced, diarrhea no matter what I ate or drank, severe abdominal pain, and also chills pretty much all of the time. I called my doctor right away because I was becoming very scary and feeling awful. Definitely not a medicine for me!"

No-Go (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I took this at 11am today and by 3pm I was feeling like I was going to DIE ! MY HEART was literally jumping out my chest, I threw up several times, shaking, sweating and couldn't breath. I went Drs and they said that my body had a reaction to it. Mind u I'm only 47.7 kg n 5"1 ... tiny but mighty. I was on zoloft n everything was fine !! NEVER EVERRR EVERR EVERRRRR TAKING THIS MEDICATION AGAIN ! 27 years old n iv had depression since I was 16... lexapro..lovan..zoloft ALL AMAZING but this one I would NEVER touch... Honestly my jaw is hurting my teeth is numb...n im still shaking ..but its only 7.30 pm CANT WAIT FOR THIS TO B OUTTA MY SYSTEM "

Son27 March 1, 2016

For Depression "I began taking Pristiq in 2008 as a supplement to Wellbutrin. When I missed dose I became very ill with flu-like symptoms so severe, I felt it was not safe for me to drive a car. This made me feel as though this drug was not good for me, so I finally took myself off of it in 2015. It took the entire month of July (I stopped Pristiq July 1st and nausea and dizziness did not end until early August- I kept track of my symptoms on a calendar) and as of today, the end of February 2016, my digestion has still not returned to normal. Pristiq was developed by the manufacturer to replace the profits from another popular drug that reached the generic zone. I consider it "bad drug.""

ltvanburen (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Lifted me out of a mood of despair. Most importantly, it was the best anger management I ever found. Clear headed, no anxiety, no side affects other than mild nausea, and that ONLY if I take it on an empty stomach. Don't miss a dose though, it will make you REALLY woozy. Stopped for a few months, fell into depression, but Pristiq pulled me right back up when I started back. Remember that the Rx says specifically that you may need 4 weeks to notice an improvement. Bear that in mind when you read all these reviews by people who quit taking it after 1 or 2 days."

Mike1967_1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 26, 2016

For Depression "on Prozac (Lovan) for 4 years, felt it was no longer helping and read about a type of antidepressant that targets your neorephrine (noradrenaline) re uptake, not just seratonin. mentioned it to doctor, he recommended Pristiq but I had to stop taking the Prozac for a month before starting Pristiq (hell.) Thought I made a terrible mistake as it didn't start working for at least 3 months. Difference is Prozac inhibits you from feeling emotions whereas Pristiq allows you to feel and be able to deal with them. No side effect but if I miss a dose in morning by lunchtime I'm so dizzy and lightheaded!"

Cocoash February 20, 2016