User Reviews for Pristiq

7.2

Major Depressive Disorder

Summary of Pristiq reviews 7.2 670 reviews

Reviews for Pristiq

"I have suffered from anxiety and panic disorder since I was 6. But when I became a mom I was totally overwhelmed my panic attack’s took over along with mania, mind racing and Agoraphobia. I was referred to a physiatrist who listened to me and recommended Pristiq. Pristiq was a life saver for me, it has changed my life dramatically. I no longer suffer from weekly panic attacks it’s been 5 months since I’ve had one and I have NEVER felt better. I have zero side effects with this medication unlike the others. My energy level is amazing, my mood is so upbeat and positive, my mind doesn’t race I can actually sleep at night. If you feel the medication isn’t working it probably isn’t don’t be afraid to speak up sometimes it will take months or years to get the right combination of meds. I couldn’t help myself with my anxiety, the negative thoughts and constant worrying but today it’s a different story my life has done a compete 180 degree turn"

KLW August 16, 2018

For Depression "Depression is like being dead while you're alive. It the most scary illness in the world. After doing a genetic test while on effexor (that made my depression worst) pristiq was the best result. I have no side effects, life is good again. Don't loose hope. This medication works, the side effects is due to interaction in the body chemistry, while you do a genetic test you'll find a drug that will balance your brain. I wish you all the best"

Johnny (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2018

For Depression "Recently got off of lexapro as it stopped working for me. I was put on Pristiq the side effects of pristiq lessed after a few days but were managable. The first month of use I felt little to no improvements in my mood and energy. I wanted to get off of it but wanted to try increasing 25 to 50mg. This really helped and changed my mind. I feel so much better and can finally get going. The depression doesn't feel totally gone but it is such a positive change in everything. I recommend to stay on this as in the first month you may not see a change but increasing can help. Best I've felt in months and really looking forward to things now. Recommend!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2018

For Depression "My doctor and I found, with genetic testing, that zoloft (sertraline) was contraindicated for me. I started taking Pristiq and it seemed to keep me on an even keel, although somewhat irritable. However, after about 10 weeks, I started to get bloody noses; not ordinary bloody noses_ but such severe bleeding that I swallowed the blood and started to drown__blood went into my bronchial tube. I could not stop the bleeding for a half hour or more and then it started again an hour later, and then again a few days later. I had to go back to zoloft. Not so sure about those genetic tests"

Annie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2018

For Depression "I had been on pristiq 50mg for around 5 years. It helped me dramatically to get my life back on track. I noticed within the past year that it was not working as effectively as my body had probably adjusted to it so my doctor upped the dosage to 100mg recently. At first I noticed some nausea, headaches and extreme tiredness. These side effects have now subsided after a week and I’m starting to feel the full effects of the increased dosage. I feel absolutely amazing, I am focused at work, I am getting back in to my study, I have started to lose weight again due to my appetite decreasing ( I was eating way too much before due to depression) I am much more sociable and exercising again. I was also having trouble with substance abuse and that has now also stopped. Everyone’s experience with a drug is going to be a different story but I personally am very grateful for pristiq."

Amber (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 10, 2018

For Depression "Highly recommended for those suffering anxiety panic attacks depression and substance abuse. I was medicating daily with alcohol due to so stress and being depressed. Since taking pristiq cravings for alcohol disappeared within days and now really focused at work and handling stress with ease. Pristiq has helped my life back on track. Feels as if I have access to my brain again without foggy and self doubt thoughts...I no longer drink alcohol."

Happier than before (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I would probably give pristiq a zero if I could. As far as antidepressants go it was average in terms of mood-boosting, energy-boosting etc. but the side effects ruined my life. I gained around 15 pounds I can’t lose regardless of diet and exercise within around 3 months. And tapering off made me sicker than I have ever been in my life, as well as lose total control of my emotions—crying, angry outbursts, etc. yes Between depression and these side effects, I would take the depression. By the way, I’ve been off the drug almost a month and am still dealing with residual effects of the drug."

Writingbug (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2018

For Depression "Used it for 3 months at 40mg. One of the least effective anti-depressants I’ve tried, plus one of the more expensive."

Aaron June 15, 2018

For Depression "After being on Pristiq for just over 2 weeks and endless migraines, I was rushed to emergency and had lost all feeling on the left side of my face and my left eye would not open, my blood pressure reached the danger zone, I thought I was having a stroke. After finally being diagnosed I had developed acute angular glaucoma brought on by these antidepressants. If it had been left undiagnosed I would have lost my sight. Please do not take this medication it should be taken of the market"

Retrowoman68 (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

"I've been through several SSRIs before going on a combination of Pristiq 50mg ER + Wellbutrin 150mg ER + Klonopin 0.75mg daily. The Wellbutrin did nothing for my anxiety, so my Psychiatrist prescribed Pristiq to me in conjunction. I've been on the medication for over a year now, and this is the only medication that has eliminated my symptoms fully without any descernable side effects. My biggest take away here: TAKE THE PHARMACOGENETICS TEST. I took the test, and found out that most of the medications I had been on in the past were incompatible with my genetics and had high rates of failure or adverse symptoms in similar individuals. The test cost me $200 out of pocket, but it's completely worth it. Not having to play games with my mental condition for months testing out new medications is worth it."

Jacob (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 7, 2018

For Depression "I have been on Pristiq 100mg for 4 years, I wanted to begin to taper off them and over the last few months have cut to 50mg and am now on my fourth day completely off the medication. I’m having extremely difficult withdrawals including sweating, feeling of hopelessness, crying spells up to 20 times a day, nausea, painful headaches, brain zaps ( sounds like zapping and poking behind my eyes), little to no energy, I’m also finding it hard to wake up in the morning. I have a very strong mindset of wanting to come off this medication and I realise the symptoms are my body trying to heal it’s self. I strongly urge anyone in wanting to taper off this medication to make sure you have support and someone to monitor you."

Kathug (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2018

For Depression "I am a healthy 49 yo female RN going through menopause. A family member noticed I cried too easily. HRT did not work for me, made hormonal swings worse. Dr prescribed Pristiq 25 mg & the next day, was not so "weepy." Depression is NOT an issue for me, it's the mood swings from going through early menopause. I took the 25 mg every day & felt great, but after a few weeks, started having insomnia & restless limbs at night. A little GI upset, but I take it in the AM with food. I exercise very hard, so no weight gain. However, the insomnia & restless limbs at night is starting to effect my quality of life. For a few months now, I only take the 25 mg every other day. Going to slowly taper down this medication as in my professional opinion, I have too much serotonin. I'm going to maybe take it 1-2x/week. My goal is to get off of it completely."

Bren (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "This drug killed the real me. I took it for three months for MDD. The first month of Pristiq was euphoric. The only side-effect was insomnia. Week six, I experienced anxiety and panic attacks. I went days without sleep. I asked my doctor if Pristiq caused anxiety. He told me that anti-depressants take time to work, and encouraged me to try the drug a bit longer. My behavior became erratic. I reacted dramatically, even to the good things. I didn’t feel like myself anymore. Week nine, I was noticably angrier. My overreactions worsened. Week twelve, I searched online for Pristiq. Anxiety showed up in each search. I decided to not take it the following Sunday. My mother wanted me to wait. I adamantly refused and do not regret this. I was considerably less anxious. I had no withdrawal symptoms. Come Tuesday, I saw my doctor. I asked about anxiety again. He confirmed that anxiety was a side-effect of Pristiq. I told him everything. I’m not on Pristiq anymore."

Clownose May 20, 2018

For Depression "I am not sure if this is useful (and this may be just my individual experience) but I was self medicating my anxiety and depression with illegal drugs and alcohol (abusing both) until Pristiq. My Psychiatrist prescribed me 100mg and not only did it curb my anxiety and depression it also removed the appetite for alcohol and drugs. It actually worked so well I have been abstinent from both for months now, so if you are using alcohol and drugs to medicate, a useful side effect of Pristiq is that you can get out of that abusive hole of yours."

Alpha (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2018

For Depression "Unexpected side effect while taking Pristiq; not only does it have no negative side effects for me unlike other antidepressants that I have tried that have made me tired or gain weight, Pristiq has by far been the 1 that's helped me the most. I had been taking Pristiq last year & then had to go off due to high co-pay costs (switched to Effexor but wasn't as helpful). Recently the cost of Prestiq went down & so I wanted to switch back to it. I wasn't positive if this specific side effect was related to taking the Pristiq last year, but I feel VERY confidant saying I believe it was, because when I stopped taking it I could tell & then when I started taking it again- I have much longer & intense oragasms while taking Pristiq! I've always had a good sex life with my husband, except I have taken meds in the past that I thought slowed my libido down so I stopped, but Pristiq does NOT interfere with my sex drive! It has improved sexual satisfication for me even more!"

Lindsay (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2018

For Depression "Avoid at all costs. This drug has been awful, on it and coming off it. I would not recommend it to anyone. I had high hopes, but was lethargic for months on it, barely able to get out of bed, now coming off it for the last month I am like a bear, snapping at the smallest things and if this continues I will lose my relationship"

X (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was prescribed Pristiq after trying Lovan, Zoloft, and Mirtazipine with no avail and this was the only antidepressant that I could feel actually working. However, the side effects I experienced were an extremely dry mouth, unusual dreams and zero libido or ability to orgasm. After about 9 months I could tell it had stopped working so my psychiatrist decided to wean me off my 100mg dose; it was absolutely the hardest thing. I felt so physically sick all the time, would vomit constantly and every time I moved my eyes I got the 'brain zaps'. It took me about two months to wean myself completely off, however I was still feeling the withdrawal a full three weeks after I stopped taking it. I would only recommend this medication if you plan on staying on it for the rest of your life and I am very happy to be off it."

alaya (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2018

For Depression "Taking the drug wasn't too bad. Experienced some minor constipation and case of dry mouth. However, when I tried to stop taking it I experienced the worst insomnia I have ever had in my life which led to intense depressive feelings. I was never warned the drug would be such a horror to try to quit and am upset I was not given this information. Perhaps not the greatest for short term use due to withdrawal problems."

Leesh (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

For Depression "Very effective when taken with Remeron. I was on Prozac, Zoloft, and Paxil prior to this. Zoloft and Paxil gave me horrible side effects, and Prozac stopped working. I was put on Pristiq last year and noticed an improvement, but experienced mood swings. Once I added Remeron to the mix, everything evened our and I feel genuinely happy for the first time in my life."

Jenny (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2018

For Depression "Fantastic medication with virtually no side effects"

JJ (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 17, 2018

For Depression "I took this drug for about six months. Headaches, weight gain, nausea, dizzy and head spins, sleepless nights and my libido went out the window and I haven't found it since. When I finally went off the drug, the withdrawal was so bad that I wanted the world to know this drug should not be on the market. It is horrible and it messes you up. Yes it did help with the depression a bit, but no better then some of the other ones out there. Worst drug I have ever been on, including my RA drugs."

shareene (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

For Depression "The first time I was put on this it worked perfectly I wasn't depressed, wasn't suicidal, no side effects at all, then a stupid doctor took me off them because he thought I shouldn't be on them, now I'm back on them again and having the WORST side effects uncontrollable shaking, head spinning like crazy, nausea, blurred vision, all around sick feeling, it was horrible it scared the crap out of me and I will NOT be taking it again. I am not going through that pain again it was to much. Felt like my heart was going to give out"

Anonymous March 6, 2018

For Depression "I have been on Pristiq for more than a month. It works immediately within a few days. I am someone who has depression on and off during course of my life (at hindsight) that I should have taken antidepressant especially my adolescent years when I was really down. Doctor suggested Lexapro 3 years ago when another episode happened but I changed my job. This time with another job issue, he suggested Pristiq instead. I looked up all the experience from here and was skeptical for a week before I took the leap and started taking the medication. I was unable to sleep for the first 2 nights that I changed to take it once I wake up and it worked! Headaches come and go. That's it for the side effect. I did not gain weight and not affecting sex life. I have never felt this happy or NORMAL before for the longest time. No temper at all that I was . I feel new again!!"

AHA (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

For Depression "Horrible medication with tons of severe side effects and even worse withdrawal symptoms."

PBJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2018

For Depression "I suffered from depression when I was in high school , it have improved for some time , then in college I started having Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) with panic attacks and depression I have tried zoloft before which I have not find to be effective . Before I used pristiq, I used to have irritable mood, short temper, no concentration, poor sleep, low appetite, anhedonia, social anxiety , depression isolated , I was afraid to give speeches, and had poor expression of emotions. Now on Pristiq I am more social, funnier, more energetic having good appetite , more happy, more self confident and having better self esteem, I am not sensitive for rejection and I give my opinion without thinking twice . It has helped me a lot . The only draw back that it cause loss of libido and erectile dysfunction I am taking it for 2 years now ."

Soma February 25, 2018