User Reviews for Pristiq

Major Depressive Disorder
5.8

Summary of Pristiq reviews 7.2 694 reviews

Reviews for Pristiq

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have major depression and horrible anxiety since childhood. I have been on Pristiq for 3 years. I tried many many antidepressants and they either didn't work or the side effects were so awful I had to discontinue before it worked. I'm sensitive to medication but had no problems with Pristiq. I never have had the foggy/zombie feeling like other antidepressants can cause. It worked really good for about 2 1/2 years (really stopped working when I was switched to generic) Now I am slowly tapering off onto a new med. Just be careful coming off Pristiq. I went 5 days without it (issues with insurance and doctor's office) and it was a living nightmare! Full blown panic attacks, dizziness, severe nausea, brain zaps and out of touch with reality. Overall, I would recommend Pristiq. Everyone's body is different but it worked wonders for me!"

Mom2boys (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2019

For Depression "I asked to go on Pristiq after a long, difficult road with Lamictal. I had tried countless other anti-depressants and had hit rock bottom. I can honestly say, with me Pristiq has been the best fit. I am not too tired, it helps with my substance cravings, attention span, mood, and hasn't caused any weight gain. I have moments of actual joy and feel like myself again. Yes, in the beginning (first 2 -3 weeks) there were some side effects such as brain fog, fast heart rate, and just feeling funky, but after a month I really felt it working. My friends and family can see it too, and are so grateful to have me back. Side effects to date: At times I get restless legs, when I work out I sweat... a lot (like pure glistening. I wouldn't say it's not sexy) and sometimes I get a racing heart. Overall definitely worth it."

d.r. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have severe depression and severe anxiety. I have tried EVERYTHING. My mother committed suicide 5 years ago and my father has had depression as long as I have known him so it comes from both sides. Pristiq ER 100mg is the only medication that I have found that helps both my depression and anxiety and in fact, helps me lose weight! It’s expensive but completely worth it. I now have the energy to play with my 4 year old and clean the house, run errands and “adult” in general."

MJD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2019

For Depression "After trying MANY medications and combination with varying dosages I was struggling with my depression more than I ever had before. Pristiq really helped me fairly quickly as far as these type is medications go. I had little side effects other than dry mouth and if you forget to take your daily dosage you will remember the next day because you will feel dizzy and have these weird electrical zaps in your head. I have been on it for about 5 years and it has continued to work great. I have motivation and enough things I had forgot about it. I hear myself laugh and it is the best feeling ever. When the generic brands came out I do feel they are less effective. Each month I get different generic brands that seem to work different than each other. I also had no weight gain on this medication which I know is a big deal for people taking these kinds of medications. I take mine at night because it does make me a little sleepy."

Keep.on.going (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 8, 2019

For Depression "I am 19 years old, and I was prescribed pristiq for depression about 2 months ago, and I have certainly noticed positive improvements. The first few days on it were very interesting - I couldn't sleep, didn't want to eat, but at the same time I had a lot of energy and felt pretty good. This phase went away after about 3-4 days, and everything was back to normal. After about 2 weeks, I wanted to get out and do things everyday, which was positive, but the depression was still there for the most part. Over the next 4 weeks, I SLOWLY noticed the depression disappearing, and now I find it is alot easier to brush off negative thoughts that depression brings. Just remember, this drug takes along time to work. Stay patient with it. My Doc also told me that EACH SSRI/SNRI has about a 66% success rate. So, if pristiq doesnt work for you, try another SSRI and it will have a 66% hit rate. Therefore after trying 3 or 4 different SSRI's, the chances are very high of one of those working for you."

doova23 January 8, 2019

For Depression "I was suffering from depression and panic attacks after taking prestiq 50mg and with proper diet and daily workout and swimming I am very much comfortable ."

Niru (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 26, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was diagnosed bipolar with major depression 10 years ago. I have tried other medications (lexapro, cymbalta, lithium), but found the only thing that they did was make me tired, angry and lash out. Pristiq was then prescribed and since taking it my mood has improved considerably. No more dark thoughts, panic attacks or social anxiety. I am on a very high dosage but it works for me. The only side effects I have is insomnia, mild nose bleeds and a slightly higher blood pressure. I’ll be on this for the rest of my life, but it’s better than being depressed and suicidal."

Lee (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 17, 2018

For Depression "I was in a very deep depression which was induced by severe and debilitating panic attacks, for over 15 years. Without this drug I would not be here today. Medicine is not perfect, but it Is an option. And a good one."

Better now (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 4, 2018

For Depression "Took medication all of 2 days. And on the third day I threw It at my husband and told him to throw it away. I could not recall the 2 days I took the medicine. I don't know if I ate, showered, or did anything other than sleep and walk around in a fog. This medicine could be a lifesaver for someone, it just wasn’t one for me."

Wings1012 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2018

For Depression "Stay away from antidepressants they are mind altering and cause depersonalization and cause un reversable damage . I think it was worst thing I did in my life. They hand them out like candy"

Jason (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 6, 2018

For Depression "I was severely depressed for 8 months. Hospitalized for 3 weeks, suicidal. I tried Zoloft which had worked in past but got no result the second time, then at the hospital they switched me to Cymbalta. Took highest dose possible and got no relief. I then remembered I had had good results with Pristiq in the past. So I asked my doctor to change the meds again. She wanted to add Abilify to my Cymbalta but I asked to try Pristiq again. At first it was hard but after about 10 days WOW !!! I finally am back to myself. I am so relieved it was the longest and most awful 8 months of my life...I just wanted to die and now I am back loving life, so so grateful, full of energy , exercising, cooking for myself etc. !!!"

DD October 28, 2018

For Depression " I have been on this for a little over 1 month. I have gained 8lbs. I eat uncontrollably and don’t even realize it. I do not want to be on this anymore. I am finding myself to be aggressive. I actually had a confrontation with a stranger, and literally was going to get in their car and start fighting... I’m not like that.. I’m not so aggressive.. I am also grinding my teeth really bad and I have no desire to do anything..I don’t like this.. and just because a DNA test says this is the best, I don’t think it is."

Geebis70 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2018

For Depression "I have been on the generic form and so far it has made me sweat a lot but my anxiety has almost gone completely away. My depression is lessening and my concentration and mood have improved dramatically. Before taking it my boss was about to firer me now he says I'm a pleasure to work with and my mood and quality of work have improved drastically. So far it has saved my life...."

Dev (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2018

For Depression "Just started using pristiq had dna test one of the meds that was supposed to work good for me"

Suzyq (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2018

For Depression "I have been on Pristiq for 10 days. Day 1-4 Constant migraines, teeth aches, insomnia, vomiting, diarrhea, no desire to eat, eye pain, brain fog, body pain, restlessness, and anxiety. I felt like I had the flu. By Day 7 I began to notice the physical symptoms go away with such great relief at feeling normal again. My depression felt at bay. I’m glad I stuck with this medication and encourage anyone else struggling at first to wait at least a week! Everyday I do something that my depressive/anxious self wouldn’t and I am proud of myself. I can converse with strangers, reply to messages right away, and get up every morning with no feeling of drowsiness and dread for what’s to come. I feel like I am finally taking control of my life. I am still having problems with my appetite and anxiety. I hope anyone else taking this with the same side effects will feel a sense of relief knowing that it will get better!"

Jessmarie September 27, 2018

For Depression "Be careful going off this med cold turkey like I did since I had increased depression and brain fog which had developed over the trial for a few weeks. Now since discontinuing the drug completely I'm now left with total sexual dysfunction, ED, and numb genitals that still haven't recovered. Any drug that induces this complication in men should be banned off the market immediately, beyond annoyed. Avoid."

kevin12 (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Still suffered anxiety/panic attacks whilst on it, so it didn't do much on that front. It did help regulate depressive disorder somewhat but not to any great degree."

Trex (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2018

For Depression "I am a 44 year old woman who was recently diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). After lots of unusual stress, I had a massive panic attack and subsequently began having 5-7 panic attacks a day and would wake up in terror every hours at night. At first my doctor put me on Riva Venlafaxine and to get my sleeping under control Pro Zoplicone (2 weeks). Mentally, I felt like myself again 100% but I developed giant hives all over and had severe itchy palms/feet. She switched me to Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) and the allergic reaction went away. I am normal again! I have a few mild side effects (dizzy, a bit tired, etc) but to feel normal is worth it. I tried a few beers once in a while but panic attacks seems to creep up in the days after. So I've stopped drinking alcohol. I'm still amazed at how horrible panic attacks and GAD are!"

Caramel008 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2018

"I started Pristiq for GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) and Major Depression, mostly in response to a horrible break up. With treatment, I found myself completely rid of anxiety and nervousness, my appetite returned and I started to eat normally and function. Although not incredibly satisfied, it did help with my depression but I decided the side effects were horrid and not worth it (Weight gain, sweating, emotionless numb feelings, headaches and decrease in sex drive). Pristiq is also very difficult to get off as the withdrawals are significant. - very very good for anxiety in my case, ok for depression - horrid side effects."

Kkytj (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 16, 2018

For Depression "I have Depression, Anxiety and PTSD. Pristiq has helped my mental health problems. I take 100 mg daily. If I don't take this medication, I am very emotional. I feel lost at times and ask myself why people who've known me for years, never call, visit or check on me. I served in the Gulf War. It's very painful and doesn't help my situation at all. Insurance partially covers drug."

VicG92 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 11, 2018

For Depression "Makes me very dizzy forgetful"

Anonymous September 10, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "This poison is so bad."

Big t (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2018

For Depression "I took Pristiq years ago for major depression. Within days of taking it, I was unable to sleep. My Doctor told me to hang in there and prescribed Lunesta to help, which it did. He also told me that the Pristiq was "energizing my brain." So I stayed on it. Within about 2 to 3 weeks after taking this medication, I began to experience the darkest thoughts ever. It absolutely terrified me. Had never experienced such disturbing and intrusive thoughts in my life. Needless to say, I stopped taking it and went on Prozac, which worked better. Obviously, Pristiq has worked well for some folks, which is great, but it put me through a really big dark hole"

PJ (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2018

For Depression "I was prescribed 25 mg Pristiq for depression and anxiety. By day 4 I had the worst panic attack. Day 5-7, just kept getting worse. Crying all the time, increase bp. I have bp issues to begin with, so probably shouldn’t have been prescribed this. But, I did the GeneSight test and it showed Pristiq to be in the green. Oddly it showed all SSRI’s to be in the red. I had been on Paxil twice with great success. Anyway, it’s been 6 days off the Pristiq, I am still super anxious with baby panic attacks. I have been taking Xanax to try to help, but it barely touches them. I wasn’t this bad before the Pristiq. I am now going back to Paxil. Hopefully third time will still be a charm. Good luck to those trying Pristiq, it is a great drug for some. Just not all."

Ribs13 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

For Depression "I took Pristiq (generic) for a little more than two months and did not find it helpful for relief of my anxiety associated with my depression. My doc tried to increase the dose to 100 mg and it only caused increased anxiety. The other odd thing was some weeks it seemed to help with the depression/anxiety and then the next week I would struggle. I would say it was sometimes helpful with the depression- but I was also taking Xanax and Remeron as well so it was hard to tell which medication was really working."

rneary (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2018