User Reviews for Pristiq

Major Depressive Disorder
5.8

Summary of Pristiq reviews 7.2 680 reviews

Reviews for Pristiq

For Depression "I have been on Pristiq for 10 days. Day 1-4 Constant migraines, teeth aches, insomnia, vomiting, diarrhea, no desire to eat, eye pain, brain fog, body pain, restlessness, and anxiety. I felt like I had the flu. By Day 7 I began to notice the physical symptoms go away with such great relief at feeling normal again. My depression felt at bay. I’m glad I stuck with this medication and encourage anyone else struggling at first to wait at least a week! Everyday I do something that my depressive/anxious self wouldn’t and I am proud of myself. I can converse with strangers, reply to messages right away, and get up every morning with no feeling of drowsiness and dread for what’s to come. I feel like I am finally taking control of my life. I am still having problems with my appetite and anxiety. I hope anyone else taking this with the same side effects will feel a sense of relief knowing that it will get better!"

Jessmarie September 27, 2018

For Depression "Be careful going off this med cold turkey like I did since I had increased depression and brain fog which had developed over the trial for a few weeks. Now since discontinuing the drug completely I'm now left with total sexual dysfunction, ED, and numb genitals that still haven't recovered. Any drug that induces this complication in men should be banned off the market immediately, beyond annoyed. Avoid."

kevin12 (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Still suffered anxiety/panic attacks whilst on it, so it didn't do much on that front. It did help regulate depressive disorder somewhat but not to any great degree."

Trex (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2018

For Depression "I am a 44 year old woman who was recently diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). After lots of unusual stress, I had a massive panic attack and subsequently began having 5-7 panic attacks a day and would wake up in terror every hours at night. At first my doctor put me on Riva Venlafaxine and to get my sleeping under control Pro Zoplicone (2 weeks). Mentally, I felt like myself again 100% but I developed giant hives all over and had severe itchy palms/feet. She switched me to Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) and the allergic reaction went away. I am normal again! I have a few mild side effects (dizzy, a bit tired, etc) but to feel normal is worth it. I tried a few beers once in a while but panic attacks seems to creep up in the days after. So I've stopped drinking alcohol. I'm still amazed at how horrible panic attacks and GAD are!"

Caramel008 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2018

"I started Pristiq for GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) and Major Depression, mostly in response to a horrible break up. With treatment, I found myself completely rid of anxiety and nervousness, my appetite returned and I started to eat normally and function. Although not incredibly satisfied, it did help with my depression but I decided the side effects were horrid and not worth it (Weight gain, sweating, emotionless numb feelings, headaches and decrease in sex drive). Pristiq is also very difficult to get off as the withdrawals are significant. - very very good for anxiety in my case, ok for depression - horrid side effects."

Kkytj (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 16, 2018

For Depression "I have Depression, Anxiety and PTSD. Pristiq has helped my mental health problems. I take 100 mg daily. If I don't take this medication, I am very emotional. I feel lost at times and ask myself why people who've known me for years, never call, visit or check on me. I served in the Gulf War. It's very painful and doesn't help my situation at all. Insurance partially covers drug."

VicG92 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 11, 2018

For Depression "Makes me very dizzy forgetful"

Anonymous September 10, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "This poison is so bad."

Big t (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2018

For Depression "I took Pristiq years ago for major depression. Within days of taking it, I was unable to sleep. My Doctor told me to hang in there and prescribed Lunesta to help, which it did. He also told me that the Pristiq was "energizing my brain." So I stayed on it. Within about 2 to 3 weeks after taking this medication, I began to experience the darkest thoughts ever. It absolutely terrified me. Had never experienced such disturbing and intrusive thoughts in my life. Needless to say, I stopped taking it and went on Prozac, which worked better. Obviously, Pristiq has worked well for some folks, which is great, but it put me through a really big dark hole"

PJ (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2018

For Depression "I was prescribed 25 mg Pristiq for depression and anxiety. By day 4 I had the worst panic attack. Day 5-7, just kept getting worse. Crying all the time, increase bp. I have bp issues to begin with, so probably shouldn’t have been prescribed this. But, I did the GeneSight test and it showed Pristiq to be in the green. Oddly it showed all SSRI’s to be in the red. I had been on Paxil twice with great success. Anyway, it’s been 6 days off the Pristiq, I am still super anxious with baby panic attacks. I have been taking Xanax to try to help, but it barely touches them. I wasn’t this bad before the Pristiq. I am now going back to Paxil. Hopefully third time will still be a charm. Good luck to those trying Pristiq, it is a great drug for some. Just not all."

Ribs13 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

For Depression "I took Pristiq (generic) for a little more than two months and did not find it helpful for relief of my anxiety associated with my depression. My doc tried to increase the dose to 100 mg and it only caused increased anxiety. The other odd thing was some weeks it seemed to help with the depression/anxiety and then the next week I would struggle. I would say it was sometimes helpful with the depression- but I was also taking Xanax and Remeron as well so it was hard to tell which medication was really working."

rneary (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2018

"I have suffered from anxiety and panic disorder since I was 6. But when I became a mom I was totally overwhelmed my panic attack’s took over along with mania, mind racing and Agoraphobia. I was referred to a physiatrist who listened to me and recommended Pristiq. Pristiq was a life saver for me, it has changed my life dramatically. I no longer suffer from weekly panic attacks it’s been 5 months since I’ve had one and I have NEVER felt better. I have zero side effects with this medication unlike the others. My energy level is amazing, my mood is so upbeat and positive, my mind doesn’t race I can actually sleep at night. If you feel the medication isn’t working it probably isn’t don’t be afraid to speak up sometimes it will take months or years to get the right combination of meds. I couldn’t help myself with my anxiety, the negative thoughts and constant worrying but today it’s a different story my life has done a compete 180 degree turn"

KLW August 16, 2018

For Depression "Depression is like being dead while you're alive. It the most scary illness in the world. After doing a genetic test while on effexor (that made my depression worst) pristiq was the best result. I have no side effects, life is good again. Don't loose hope. This medication works, the side effects is due to interaction in the body chemistry, while you do a genetic test you'll find a drug that will balance your brain. I wish you all the best"

Johnny (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2018

For Depression "Recently got off of lexapro as it stopped working for me. I was put on Pristiq the side effects of pristiq lessed after a few days but were managable. The first month of use I felt little to no improvements in my mood and energy. I wanted to get off of it but wanted to try increasing 25 to 50mg. This really helped and changed my mind. I feel so much better and can finally get going. The depression doesn't feel totally gone but it is such a positive change in everything. I recommend to stay on this as in the first month you may not see a change but increasing can help. Best I've felt in months and really looking forward to things now. Recommend!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2018

For Depression "My doctor and I found, with genetic testing, that zoloft (sertraline) was contraindicated for me. I started taking Pristiq and it seemed to keep me on an even keel, although somewhat irritable. However, after about 10 weeks, I started to get bloody noses; not ordinary bloody noses_ but such severe bleeding that I swallowed the blood and started to drown__blood went into my bronchial tube. I could not stop the bleeding for a half hour or more and then it started again an hour later, and then again a few days later. I had to go back to zoloft. Not so sure about those genetic tests"

Annie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2018

For Depression "I had been on pristiq 50mg for around 5 years. It helped me dramatically to get my life back on track. I noticed within the past year that it was not working as effectively as my body had probably adjusted to it so my doctor upped the dosage to 100mg recently. At first I noticed some nausea, headaches and extreme tiredness. These side effects have now subsided after a week and I’m starting to feel the full effects of the increased dosage. I feel absolutely amazing, I am focused at work, I am getting back in to my study, I have started to lose weight again due to my appetite decreasing ( I was eating way too much before due to depression) I am much more sociable and exercising again. I was also having trouble with substance abuse and that has now also stopped. Everyone’s experience with a drug is going to be a different story but I personally am very grateful for pristiq."

Amber (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 10, 2018

For Depression "Highly recommended for those suffering anxiety panic attacks depression and substance abuse. I was medicating daily with alcohol due to so stress and being depressed. Since taking pristiq cravings for alcohol disappeared within days and now really focused at work and handling stress with ease. Pristiq has helped my life back on track. Feels as if I have access to my brain again without foggy and self doubt thoughts...I no longer drink alcohol."

Happier than before (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I would probably give pristiq a zero if I could. As far as antidepressants go it was average in terms of mood-boosting, energy-boosting etc. but the side effects ruined my life. I gained around 15 pounds I can’t lose regardless of diet and exercise within around 3 months. And tapering off made me sicker than I have ever been in my life, as well as lose total control of my emotions—crying, angry outbursts, etc. yes Between depression and these side effects, I would take the depression. By the way, I’ve been off the drug almost a month and am still dealing with residual effects of the drug."

Writingbug (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2018

For Depression "Used it for 3 months at 40mg. One of the least effective anti-depressants I’ve tried, plus one of the more expensive."

Aaron June 15, 2018

For Depression "After being on Pristiq for just over 2 weeks and endless migraines, I was rushed to emergency and had lost all feeling on the left side of my face and my left eye would not open, my blood pressure reached the danger zone, I thought I was having a stroke. After finally being diagnosed I had developed acute angular glaucoma brought on by these antidepressants. If it had been left undiagnosed I would have lost my sight. Please do not take this medication it should be taken of the market"

Retrowoman68 (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

"I've been through several SSRIs before going on a combination of Pristiq 50mg ER + Wellbutrin 150mg ER + Klonopin 0.75mg daily. The Wellbutrin did nothing for my anxiety, so my Psychiatrist prescribed Pristiq to me in conjunction. I've been on the medication for over a year now, and this is the only medication that has eliminated my symptoms fully without any descernable side effects. My biggest take away here: TAKE THE PHARMACOGENETICS TEST. I took the test, and found out that most of the medications I had been on in the past were incompatible with my genetics and had high rates of failure or adverse symptoms in similar individuals. The test cost me $200 out of pocket, but it's completely worth it. Not having to play games with my mental condition for months testing out new medications is worth it."

Jacob (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 7, 2018

For Depression "I have been on Pristiq 100mg for 4 years, I wanted to begin to taper off them and over the last few months have cut to 50mg and am now on my fourth day completely off the medication. I’m having extremely difficult withdrawals including sweating, feeling of hopelessness, crying spells up to 20 times a day, nausea, painful headaches, brain zaps ( sounds like zapping and poking behind my eyes), little to no energy, I’m also finding it hard to wake up in the morning. I have a very strong mindset of wanting to come off this medication and I realise the symptoms are my body trying to heal it’s self. I strongly urge anyone in wanting to taper off this medication to make sure you have support and someone to monitor you."

Kathug (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2018

For Depression "I am a healthy 49 yo female RN going through menopause. A family member noticed I cried too easily. HRT did not work for me, made hormonal swings worse. Dr prescribed Pristiq 25 mg & the next day, was not so "weepy." Depression is NOT an issue for me, it's the mood swings from going through early menopause. I took the 25 mg every day & felt great, but after a few weeks, started having insomnia & restless limbs at night. A little GI upset, but I take it in the AM with food. I exercise very hard, so no weight gain. However, the insomnia & restless limbs at night is starting to effect my quality of life. For a few months now, I only take the 25 mg every other day. Going to slowly taper down this medication as in my professional opinion, I have too much serotonin. I'm going to maybe take it 1-2x/week. My goal is to get off of it completely."

Bren (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "This drug killed the real me. I took it for three months for MDD. The first month of Pristiq was euphoric. The only side-effect was insomnia. Week six, I experienced anxiety and panic attacks. I went days without sleep. I asked my doctor if Pristiq caused anxiety. He told me that anti-depressants take time to work, and encouraged me to try the drug a bit longer. My behavior became erratic. I reacted dramatically, even to the good things. I didn’t feel like myself anymore. Week nine, I was noticably angrier. My overreactions worsened. Week twelve, I searched online for Pristiq. Anxiety showed up in each search. I decided to not take it the following Sunday. My mother wanted me to wait. I adamantly refused and do not regret this. I was considerably less anxious. I had no withdrawal symptoms. Come Tuesday, I saw my doctor. I asked about anxiety again. He confirmed that anxiety was a side-effect of Pristiq. I told him everything. I’m not on Pristiq anymore."

Clownose May 20, 2018

For Depression "I am not sure if this is useful (and this may be just my individual experience) but I was self medicating my anxiety and depression with illegal drugs and alcohol (abusing both) until Pristiq. My Psychiatrist prescribed me 100mg and not only did it curb my anxiety and depression it also removed the appetite for alcohol and drugs. It actually worked so well I have been abstinent from both for months now, so if you are using alcohol and drugs to medicate, a useful side effect of Pristiq is that you can get out of that abusive hole of yours."

Alpha (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Micromedex® Care Notes