User Reviews for Pristiq

Major Depressive Disorder
5.9

Reviews for Pristiq

ombrelle · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 9, 2021

For Depression: “I have been taking Pristiq for more than a year now for anxiety and depression. The first month wasn't great, my anxiety increased, had trouble falling asleep, feeling nauseous. After that, these were the side effects that stuck : sweats, it takes more time to orgasm, brain zap when I forget a dose. I definitely feel better, I have a better feeling of control over my life. I don't have suicidal thoughts anymore. It gave me hope that change is possible and we don't have to accept feeling that way for our whole life.”

emmy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 8, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I took this for a period of time when I was in high school and then went to take other medications because I didn't think this would work for me. During the pandemic while in college my MDD and anxiety got worse I decided I had enough of this and I went to my doctor to get a new medication she put me on Cymbalta. I tried it for 4 days and got so sick so I went off of it I went into my medication cabinet and saw Pristiq and I was like I have nothing left to lose and it worked so well and actually helped my mood and intrusive thoughts I went back and told my doctor and she did end up getting put on a higher dose 100mg but Honestly give this medication a try not just a week like I did the first time give it at least a month it saved me.”

Bri April 5, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I have Bipolar Disorder I and severe depression, along with anxiety. I was on Prozac for many months and it didn't help at all. I was SO TIRED of feeling this way and I said ENOUGH! I've been on several different antidepressants (Latuda, Seroquel, Geodon, Abilify, and Prozac), and now my doctor just switched me over to Pristiq. He put me on 25mg, while weaning me off of the Prozac. At first, Pristiq made me mentally foggy and dizzy. I've actually been reading good reviews for this medication and decided to give it a try. I know that it takes some time for meds to get used to your body, so you have to give it some time. As of right now, I'm not feeling suicidal and I'm crying at the drop of a hat anymore, which is awesome to me. I will be patient with this medication to see what else happens and if I notice anymore improvements. I have a good feeling about this medication. So, if you're debating on whether or not you should take it, just take a risk and see what happens.”

No_more_denial August 18, 2020

For Depression: “Picture this: I am dressed and ready to sell someone’s house and before I can open the door and leave I freeze. I feel impending doom. I can’t move. I can not leave the house. So I undress with tears in my eyes, cancel my appointments and creep into bed. Completely ashamed and disappointed in myself. This has affected so many aspects of my life. Everyone sees a happy, confident person... which triggers the depression.... and denial. They don’t know the mental illness I hide. I couldn’t hide it any longer.I went on Pristiq 50mg two years ago. I would take it at night and sleep well & after 6 months I got off of... slowly but surely it came back. This time my dose is 100mg. I was in complete denial but I’ve been humbled and won’t take my mental health for granted. No more hiding in bed. No more fear of the mail man or someone knocking at my door. No more panic attacks. Don’t suffer. Live better and be well.”

rbc123 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 16, 2020

For Depression: “I never write reviews on ANYTHING online but after being precribed Pristiq for anxiety and reading multiple negative reviews I thought I'd write about my positive experiencing with this medication. I am 31 years old and have been experiencing moderate to severe anxiety my entire life. Last summer I began taking this medication and I won't lie... the first 4 weeks were rough. Decreased appetite, increased anxiety and just very spaced out. Saying this, once you get passed the 4-6 week adjustment period this medication is LIFE CHANGING. And yes I know that this medication does not help everyone who takes it but I encourage people to tough through the adjustment period. I honestly wish I knew about this medication earlier. And yes there are still lows you will feel, this is life. And this is not a magic pill... but completely takes the edge off. I wake up feeling great most days, I have increased motivation, little to no self doubt, increased appetite, increased sex drive, etc.... the list goes on.”

munik July 9, 2010

For Depression: “Give Pristiq time. I've been on Pristiq for 3 and 1/2 weeks and the first 2 weeks I had hot sweats, nightmares, irritability and increased anxiety. I wanted to quit but I resisted, and then WOW the 3rd week I started feeling WONDERFUL! Side effects disappeared, lost 7 pounds, and have sex drive again. As a mother of 3 little kids and working, I felt more optimistic, energetic and enthusiastic! I love my work again, which I did a long time ago and I am much more loving with my kids and husband and show much more affection to everyone. This is who I really am and was 5 years ago! It has made me want to exercise and play with my kids again! Dont quit early give it TIME to Work. I thank God and pray for all of you that you find peace , happiness”

Johney · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

For Depression: “I found this drug to be extremely helpful. I haven't felt this good in years. I started with 25mg and it took approximately 4 weeks to start noticing the benefits. My therapist recommended I take the medication after having a serious panic attack that left me anxious and worried for my own personal safety. Never been that low before. Now about 5 weeks in, I'm feeling great and we decided to up my dosage to 50mg. I've had zero side effects as of yet. My advice to anyone on here who's curious about the drug to give it a try. And give the medicine time. It takes time to fully take effect. Like I said, it was weeks on end for me. Felt like an eternity. I'm more optimistic, motivated to accomplish goals, less anxiety, etc. Medications are like shoes; not every shoe is well suited for every single person on Earth. The same could be said with regard to medication. Take care all. Feel better.”

ablawn April 9, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “My dr had me do a genetic test to see how my DNA reacted and broke down medication. Genomind was the test used My DR was able to see my body doesn't respond to SSRI'S. My DNA synced with Pristiq. 1st day, I felt more uplifted. I do suffer with insomnia. 2nd morning, I woke up feeling refreshed. Smiling. BEST PART! I STAYED ON TASK! I have a hard time with that. After taking pristiq, I have motivation and not scatter brained. My thoughts are in place. I wake up less stressed now bc stuff is actually being done. Day 3, I was able to conquer a HUGE landscaping task that took me 6.5 hours to do. I felt healthy and my old self. I didn't feel tired. It was a huge difference. I felt good. So good I wanted to exercise. Who wants to exercise? It feels like that missing spark in my brain was reconnected and now I can function properly. I'm a little quick tempered, it's helped me w that too! Overall, this medicine has been a God send.”

Crazybananas February 12, 2020

For Depression: “So I had to share my experience because I’ve read so many reviews of so many different drugs. I was on every possible SSRI from primary care dr. The side effects were horrible. I mean HORRIBLE. Zoloft, lexapro, celexa, Prozac.....you name it I tried it. Finally got smart and went to a psychiatrist at the advice of my therapist. Hallelujah! He put me on pristiq and within days I felt better. It’s been two weeks now and he just doubled my dose. I take 25 mg at 7 pm and noticed by the next day around 2 I was getting anxious, clenching my teeth, etc. so he has upped it to 50mg. He also gave me Ativan for when my anxiety is at full tilt. I’ve had no side effects. I just want to give people hope. You can’t go by the reviews because we all react differently to medicine, but don’t give up. See the right professional. I also did the mouth swab thing to see what medicines might be a good fit. With the $$$$$. Good luck to whoever is reading this and stay strong”

v · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 27, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Pristiq genuinely saved my life, but it shouldn't be used as a frontline treatment like many are reporting. SNRIs aren't for everybody, so if this isn't your perfect match, move along. To everybody reading reviews because they were prescribed this: try it out, and if it doesn't work, try something else. It's not the end of the world, you'll find what works for you.”

Billy · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 10, 2020

For Depression: “Pristiq 50 mg is the ONLY medication which has worked for my depression. Good sleep Good appetite Upbeat, consistently good mood. I have tried everything else and nothing Worked OR I had bad experiences. This is my fifth year on Pristiq. If you’re without hope, ask your doctor. It’s been a lifesaver for me.”

dptn May 9, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “It is now 147 days since I first started taking Pristiq. I enjoy the small things. I was in Athens and I found myself enjoying the sight of the mountains in the distance and the sight of trees laden with oranges. I used to not enjoy these small things. I find it easier to stay motivated. I don’t feel listless very often anymore. I find it easier to set goals and to work towards them everyday. I find it easier to control my cravings. I am still not where I would like to be but it is now much easier for sure. I lost 7 kgs simply by moderating my diet. I don’t get angry at people anymore. I am actually happy throughout the day. Happiness is a real part of my being now. I find it easy to be happy even though I don’t have a promotion, we don’t have a house and our savings aren’t so great. My relationship with my wife has improved significantly.”

Shell · Taken for 10 years or more January 5, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “Pristiq literally saved my life!! Diagnosed with major depression (although more so undiagnosed bipolar II), I started on a controversial 300mg daily nearly 14 years ago now. I’ve reduced to 200mg daily and will stay on it for life absolutely no side effects whatsoever. I am happy, social productive and successful and at complete peace within myself. I spent almost 10 years on the medication roller coaster before an amazing GP took a special interest in my case whilst co authoring the book “Brain Fuel Depletion” I was so lucky to be under his care, I owe him my life! Pristiq may not be for everyone but may my story inspire you to persevere and keep on trialling different meds until you find your right fit.....I promise you, it’s worth it”

ecalho01 June 24, 2008

For Depression: “After trying several of the top ten antidepressants and never feeling exactly right - and gaining at least 30 pounds per episode - after only 2 weeks on Pristiq I have never felt better and have energy and the desire to live and exercise.”

mtl222 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

For Depression: “I have been on Pristiq for 1 month and a half. The first week felt weird : I had headaches, anxiety, couldn't eat, difficulty to sleep. Then the physical side effect went away and I started to feel better but it was very subtle and slow but steady change. After 1 month and a half I can say that I feel a lot better. I have more energy, more sense of control on my life. One thing that stays is that I have to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. I have skipped a dose once and it wasn't bad, I didn't cry or felt horrible.”

Full of Life again March 10, 2010

For Depression: “I suffer from Dysthymic Depression and had been on Prozac until it stopped working and I started having suicidal thoughts. I've been on Pristiq for 3 months and it has changed my life for the better. I take it in the morning so I sleep at night. I am no longer tired. I have tons of energy and have a zest for living again. I have dropped 12 lbs and it does not affect my energy levels for running, biking and weight training. I can focus better at work and my sex drive has returned after being dulled for the past 7 years. My husband is thrilled. This drug has been a positive step for me.”

Niko · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2020

For Depression: “I'm on Pristiq 50 for 9 months. I have had no negative side effects except brain drain when missing a dose. I like it so much that I want to try a higher dose. I've been depressed for decades. I've tried most other SSRIs antidepressants with mixed results. Pristiq is for me the best of the lot. I'm very surprised to read so many reports of adverse reactions.”

Thankful · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 10, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I have been on many other medications, such as Abilify and Lamictal and Lexapro, but this was the one that finally helped me fully be better. It does have side effects yes, and missing doses aren't fun, but I'd say it has easily changed my life for the better. If I was at 30% before Pristiq, then I' am definitely at 90% right now.”

butterfly72 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2019

For Depression: “Don’t be too scared to try Pristiq. Give it a chance. Everyone comes here to write horror stories but for me this really helped with my anxiety. If it works really well for people they don't tend to return to review as they are busy enjoying there lives. It also really helped me sleep and made me sleep feel more restful. The first few days taking it I had kind of migraine like symptoms, very tired, but just plan accordingly and know that will all most likely pass. Any antidepressant will have an adjustment period. The only lingering side effects I have are dry eyes and mouth especially in the morning. Good luck!”

Anonymous February 8, 2020

For Anxiety: “I'm in love with prestiq.I had a breakdown where I was just over stressed and I couldn't stay awake. I slept for 3 days straight. My doctor put me on lexapro which made me feel annoyed. I went back and asked him for some Valium. For 2 years I took Valium every couple of days but wanted to get off it as it's not good long term but I couldn't stay awake without it, and my anxiety was really peaking when I didn't have it. I was scared to try anti depressants again but my doctor said pristiq should work so I tried it and fell in love with it. I've been on it for 3 years and it has done wonders for me. I only take a 50mg dose which has really calmed my anxiety down and dulled my flight reflex. My doctor wanted me to start coming off it but I have no interest in doing so until my kids are big. I feel I cope so much better when I am on it. Im so grateful to that doctor for convincing me to try it. In the beginning I felt a bit out of it and high for about a week, the tight jaw and shaking that went away soon”

Gareth · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 25, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I've been on many antidepressants and desvenlafaxine had the least side affects. Dose increased rapidly until I was on 100mg morning and night. Recently had some anxiety, paranoia and rage issues. Got a referral for a psychiatrist. He started me on taking the 200mg Pristiq in the morning and taking 30mg of mirtazapine in the evening. Increased my issues over the 2 weeks taking this combo. Now on 200mg in the morning as before and 100mg of quetiapine in the evening. My mood has stabilised but my social anxiety has increased (even with a Valium safety net) and have trouble getting back to work. I'm genuinely glad most of you have found peace but I'm yet to find mine- with a marriage hanging by a thread and a 1yo daughter relying on me, time is not on my side.”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

For Depression: “Had a DNA test to recommend what type of anti-depressant I should be taking....I had been on Venlafaxine for years after refusing others. Pristiq was recommended by this test for me to take. I did notice a number of positive changes taking Pristiq......Generic "Desvenlafax." I am more alert, Have somewhat more interest in life. No longer think about dying. It doesn't control my anxiety so therefore I take a mild dose of klonopin when needed. It did not give me energy but helps making me get up and around. I take 50 mg's a day. I do sleep 10 to 12 hours a day....sometimes not waking up during that time but I know that's the depression.I do take Amitriptyline for pain from Spinal Disk Degeneration pain.”

Anonymous February 15, 2010

For Depression: “I am a 77 year old male. My Grandfather and my Father suffered from Depression. I have suffered from depression all of my life. I was first diagnosed with severe clinical depression about 1975. I was put on ELAVIL and the results were very good and I took it for about 12 years. At that time the ELAVIL stopped working and my Doctor put me on NORTRIPTYLINE. That seemed to stop the depression and worked for a long time. When it stopped working, my Doctor put me on PAXCIL. Then, a Psychiatrist added WELLBUTRIN XL. Then my PDOC replaced the generic PAXCIL with PRISTIQ. For the first time in 40 years, my depression has gone!”

SC · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2020

For Depression: “Here's some really important information for this med. I was given this med to combat depression and it caused some really aggressive side effects. Do your research! This medication is in the country's top 10 of all drug offenders for violent behavior! I had to do some research after I found myself in an aggressive situation without understanding why I was behaving the way I was. I found that some SNRI's can cause violent behavior. Please be careful with this drug!”

JanLeigh October 4, 2008

For Depression: “I just started Pristiq Exrelease 50mg about 6 days ago. I am just learning more about this drug. All these comments are very helpful, I have much, much hope. I have anxiety issues, panic disorder, and some depression. I have also noticed decreased hunger. Please continue writing in it can make a big difference to people like me. Thank you!”

Anonymous January 31, 2010

For Depression: “Started with Wellbutrin 300mg - I was way to agitated -- went to Cymbalta - loved it except for the lack of ability in the sack. Went to Celexa - worked okay stayed on it for 3 months but never felt anything. So during the 3 months doctor added Wellbutrin - does not help. Celexa made me feel - no sorry it didn't make me feel anything but overall in some ways I kind of liked not feeling but that is not life. So the doctor changed to Pristiq -- WOW I feel alive, energetic, really great. I hope this continues. Oh yea .. no lack in the sack on this one. My real message here is that I hope each of you continues to work with you doctor and find the right medicine.”

F*ckpristiq February 14, 2020

For Depression: “I would not wish upon my worst enemy the hell I went through with this drug. My doctor at the time suggested this antidepressant to help maintain my growth & help my energy... this was the first year it existed and of course was expensive because there wasn’t a generic brand, it ruined my life. Everything in the small print happened to me. I slept on average 2 hours on my bathroom or kitchen floor because I felt suffocated in my bed. Everything irritated me physically. All I did was clean as if I was trying to get rid of something so toxic (pristiq) that my life depended on it (it did..) I lost a lot of my hair/eyebrows and I was going crazy, literally. Eventually I got off it, which was like detoxing from a hard drug, such as heroin or meth. I was on it for 6 months- I have been off it for many years, but I still struggle with the reality of what it took away from my life- so many years trying to pick up the pieces of the horrific reality I lived while on Pristiq.”

Mutaza · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2019

For Depression: “Update on my experience with Pristiq, I’ve been taking 50mg for over 2 weeks now for depression and I am incredibly happy with the results no negative thoughts or depressing thoughts, so it is working. I can honestly say if I didn’t find this drug I would be dead In 5 years. Sad but true. I have everything anyone could ask for but my mind tells me otherwise, so selfish considering others in this world have to deal with a hell of a lot more!”