User Reviews for Pristiq

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Depression

Major Depressive Disorder
5.8

Summary of Pristiq reviews 6.9 820 reviews

Reviews for Pristiq

McGhee · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder "Why is this a frontline anti-depressant? Yes you read of people having positive responses to it, but it's either this or profoundly negative responses. For me personally, it made my depression worse in terms of cognitive issues, fatigue and anxiety which isn't usually a big issue for me. I was obsessing about my girlfriend cheating on me non stop and had more frequent self harm ideations. I got off it after only 3 weeks and had night terrors and bouts of anger with motivations to ending my life stronger than any I've had before."

Gareth · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 25, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on many antidepressants and desvenlafaxine had the least side affects. Dose increased rapidly until I was on 100mg morning and night. Recently had some anxiety, paranoia and rage issues. Got a referral for a psychiatrist. He started me on taking the 200mg Pristiq in the morning and taking 30mg of mirtazapine in the evening. Increased my issues over the 2 weeks taking this combo. Now on 200mg in the morning as before and 100mg of quetiapine in the evening. My mood has stabilised but my social anxiety has increased (even with a Valium safety net) and have trouble getting back to work. I'm genuinely glad most of you have found peace but I'm yet to find mine- with a marriage hanging by a thread and a 1yo daughter relying on me, time is not on my side."

Bubbamingo · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder "The Pristiq nearly killed me. I have been off of it for four months and am just now seeing some light at the end of this tunnel caused by this awful medicine."

dptn May 9, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder "It is now 147 days since I first started taking Pristiq. I enjoy the small things. I was in Athens and I found myself enjoying the sight of the mountains in the distance and the sight of trees laden with oranges. I used to not enjoy these small things. I find it easier to stay motivated. I don’t feel listless very often anymore. I find it easier to set goals and to work towards them everyday. I find it easier to control my cravings. I am still not where I would like to be but it is now much easier for sure. I lost 7 kgs simply by moderating my diet. I don’t get angry at people anymore. I am actually happy throughout the day. Happiness is a real part of my being now. I find it easy to be happy even though I don’t have a promotion, we don’t have a house and our savings aren’t so great. My relationship with my wife has improved significantly."

Micah · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have tried a lot of different antidepressants/mood stabilizers for my Bipolar Disorder. Lexapro, Cymbalta, Trileptal,etc. Before Pristiq I was taking 150mg Lamictal and Venlafaxine 75mg. I was changed to Lamictal 200mg and Desvenlafaxine 50mg. At first, I loved Pristiq. It seemed to really help my anxiety. After 2.5 months, I started to feel tired all the time. No energy, no motivation, no drive. I had no interest in doing anything. Talked to my PCP and stopped Pristiq. Now trying Trintellix with the Lamictal 200mg. Hoping for the best."

gsodak · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 4, 2020

For Depression "Pristiq has benefits, BUT, be aware of serious long term use side effects. They are real. This is a powerful drug that affects many body systems. Don't ignore your side effects."

Sayman · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2020

For Depression "Pristiq save my life. It is the only option I left in the world, it reduces my head pressure and anxiety. Just try it and see how you go. I am 100 mg on it."

Thankful · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 10, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on many other medications, such as Abilify and Lamictal and Lexapro, but this was the one that finally helped me fully be better. It does have side effects yes, and missing doses aren't fun, but I'd say it has easily changed my life for the better. If I was at 30% before Pristiq, then I' am definitely at 90% right now."

ablawn April 9, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder "My dr had me do a genetic test to see how my DNA reacted and broke down medication. Genomind was the test used My DR was able to see my body doesn't respond to SSRI'S. My DNA synced with Pristiq. 1st day, I felt more uplifted. I do suffer with insomnia. 2nd morning, I woke up feeling refreshed. Smiling. BEST PART! I STAYED ON TASK! I have a hard time with that. After taking pristiq, I have motivation and not scatter brained. My thoughts are in place. I wake up less stressed now bc stuff is actually being done. Day 3, I was able to conquer a HUGE landscaping task that took me 6.5 hours to do. I felt healthy and my old self. I didn't feel tired. It was a huge difference. I felt good. So good I wanted to exercise. Who wants to exercise? It feels like that missing spark in my brain was reconnected and now I can function properly. I'm a little quick tempered, it's helped me w that too! Overall, this medicine has been a God send."

Liv March 25, 2020

"My doctor prescribed this Pristiq to me to treat anxiety and occasional panic attacks. I had been previously on Buspar. I took Pristiq one time, ONE pill, 50mg and felt fantastic that day. 12 hours later I started crashing. The next day and for 48 hours following, I was having the worst anxiety of my life. I could not even work nor eat. I believe that I was almost on a high of serotonin and then the following days I had none left. I have never experimented with drugs, but I feel like this was similar to a drug withdraw. I would suggest not letting a doctor give this to you to treat anxiety. I am now on 10mg Lexapro with 30mg Buspar."

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 21, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder "One of the worst experiences of my life. This drug should not be legal. Horrible side effects and did not treat my depression in anyway. Getting off of this drug was one of the worst pains I have ever felt. I was bedridden for almost a week due to extreme nausea, brain zaps, flu like symptoms, and horrible irritation. I was on it for 10 months at 100mg. If the antidepressant does not work 4-6 weeks please get off of it! It will be a lot easier with the discontinuation. Be prepared to take time off from work and have someone that can help you since the withdrawal was debilitating. I know with depression we just want something desperately to help us feel better, but Pristiq is not it. My psychiatrist did not help me get off of it until the whole left side of brain started to hurt. I believe it is not legal in Europe and should not be here either!"

JVHP · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was MUCH more happier, energetic and optimistic before taking Pristiq. Sorry, did not worked for me."

Billy · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 10, 2020

For Depression "Pristiq 50 mg is the ONLY medication which has worked for my depression. Good sleep Good appetite Upbeat, consistently good mood. I have tried everything else and nothing Worked OR I had bad experiences. This is my fifth year on Pristiq. If you’re without hope, ask your doctor. It’s been a lifesaver for me."

Bob_FL · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 4, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder "Over the last 25 years, I was on 20mg prozac for 7 years - stopped working; 20 mg. lexapro for 8 years - stopped working - and 50 mg. Pristiq for 10 years - just stopped working. Now, I'm on Trintellix 20mg. which I like better than the others. Tapering off Pristiq wasn't too bad. My Dr. prescribed the 25mg. tabs which helped to lower the dosage. After 3 weeks - finally off Pristiq! Meanwhile, I was building-up Trintellix from 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 mg. The best results are at 20mg. Also, Trintellix is not just an SSRI. It hits the other receptors that are targeted by SSNI's and Bupropion (dopamine). So, I was able to stop taking Wellbutrin as well after 25 years. Cost is $295 per month - but, worth it. Also, there's no time release (SR or XL) with Trintellex - so, this eliminates the release differences between generic and brand. This is just my experience as a veteran of anti-depressants."

Vick · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 4, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking this medication for a few years now. I am lowering my dosage and I am scared to get off of it. It has helped me so much, in my work place, dealing with emotions and daily chores. I do not want to be stuck on medication forever but I know this works for me. I rarely take any other medication such as Dayquil or Pain meds. I do not drink or do drugs. I do have a hard time when I miss my medication. I take it every morning so if I miss a morning I don't take one till the next day. If I miss more than a day I do have side affects such as dizziness, emotional, eating disorder. I was never a person to do something daily but I was desperate to get better. I have reached a level of steadiness with my medication and I am learning new coping skills to wing off of my medication. I suggest you try it."

Johney · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

For Depression "I found this drug to be extremely helpful. I haven't felt this good in years. I started with 25mg and it took approximately 4 weeks to start noticing the benefits. My therapist recommended I take the medication after having a serious panic attack that left me anxious and worried for my own personal safety. Never been that low before. Now about 5 weeks in, I'm feeling great and we decided to up my dosage to 50mg. I've had zero side effects as of yet. My advice to anyone on here who's curious about the drug to give it a try. And give the medicine time. It takes time to fully take effect. Like I said, it was weeks on end for me. Felt like an eternity. I'm more optimistic, motivated to accomplish goals, less anxiety, etc. Medications are like shoes; not every shoe is well suited for every single person on Earth. The same could be said with regard to medication. Take care all. Feel better."

mtl222 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

For Depression "I have been on Pristiq for 1 month and a half. The first week felt weird : I had headaches, anxiety, couldn't eat, difficulty to sleep. Then the physical side effect went away and I started to feel better but it was very subtle and slow but steady change. After 1 month and a half I can say that I feel a lot better. I have more energy, more sense of control on my life. One thing that stays is that I have to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. I have skipped a dose once and it wasn't bad, I didn't cry or felt horrible."

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

For Depression "Had a DNA test to recommend what type of anti-depressant I should be taking....I had been on Venlafaxine for years after refusing others. Pristiq was recommended by this test for me to take. I did notice a number of positive changes taking Pristiq......Generic "Desvenlafax." I am more alert, Have somewhat more interest in life. No longer think about dying. It doesn't control my anxiety so therefore I take a mild dose of klonopin when needed. It did not give me energy but helps making me get up and around. I take 50 mg's a day. I do sleep 10 to 12 hours a day....sometimes not waking up during that time but I know that's the depression.I do take Amitriptyline for pain from Spinal Disk Degeneration pain."

MAB · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

For Depression "Initially Pristiq kept me on an even keel. Then it didn’t seem to make a difference. I don’t feel interested in anything. I have gained 20 lbs in six months. I told my doctor and she said to stop taking it. Easier said than done. It made me extremely sick. Headache and nervousness were unbearable"

rbc123 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 16, 2020

For Depression "I never write reviews on ANYTHING online but after being precribed Pristiq for anxiety and reading multiple negative reviews I thought I'd write about my positive experiencing with this medication. I am 31 years old and have been experiencing moderate to severe anxiety my entire life. Last summer I began taking this medication and I won't lie... the first 4 weeks were rough. Decreased appetite, increased anxiety and just very spaced out. Saying this, once you get passed the 4-6 week adjustment period this medication is LIFE CHANGING. And yes I know that this medication does not help everyone who takes it but I encourage people to tough through the adjustment period. I honestly wish I knew about this medication earlier. And yes there are still lows you will feel, this is life. And this is not a magic pill... but completely takes the edge off. I wake up feeling great most days, I have increased motivation, little to no self doubt, increased appetite, increased sex drive, etc.... the list goes on."

F*ckpristiq February 14, 2020

For Depression "I would not wish upon my worst enemy the hell I went through with this drug. My doctor at the time suggested this antidepressant to help maintain my growth & help my energy... this was the first year it existed and of course was expensive because there wasn’t a generic brand, it ruined my life. Everything in the small print happened to me. I slept on average 2 hours on my bathroom or kitchen floor because I felt suffocated in my bed. Everything irritated me physically. All I did was clean as if I was trying to get rid of something so toxic (pristiq) that my life depended on it (it did..) I lost a lot of my hair/eyebrows and I was going crazy, literally. Eventually I got off it, which was like detoxing from a hard drug, such as heroin or meth. I was on it for 6 months- I have been off it for many years, but I still struggle with the reality of what it took away from my life- so many years trying to pick up the pieces of the horrific reality I lived while on Pristiq."

Niko · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2020

For Depression "I'm on Pristiq 50 for 9 months. I have had no negative side effects except brain drain when missing a dose. I like it so much that I want to try a higher dose. I've been depressed for decades. I've tried most other SSRIs antidepressants with mixed results. Pristiq is for me the best of the lot. I'm very surprised to read so many reports of adverse reactions."

Crazybananas February 12, 2020

For Depression "So I had to share my experience because I’ve read so many reviews of so many different drugs. I was on every possible SSRI from primary care dr. The side effects were horrible. I mean HORRIBLE. Zoloft, lexapro, celexa, Prozac.....you name it I tried it. Finally got smart and went to a psychiatrist at the advice of my therapist. Hallelujah! He put me on pristiq and within days I felt better. It’s been two weeks now and he just doubled my dose. I take 25 mg at 7 pm and noticed by the next day around 2 I was getting anxious, clenching my teeth, etc. so he has upped it to 50mg. He also gave me Ativan for when my anxiety is at full tilt. I’ve had no side effects. I just want to give people hope. You can’t go by the reviews because we all react differently to medicine, but don’t give up. See the right professional. I also did the mouth swab thing to see what medicines might be a good fit. With the $$$$$. Good luck to whoever is reading this and stay strong"

Anonymous February 8, 2020

For Anxiety "I'm in love with prestiq.I had a breakdown where I was just over stressed and I couldn't stay awake. I slept for 3 days straight. My doctor put me on lexapro which made me feel annoyed. I went back and asked him for some Valium. For 2 years I took Valium every couple of days but wanted to get off it as it's not good long term but I couldn't stay awake without it, and my anxiety was really peaking when I didn't have it. I was scared to try anti depressants again but my doctor said pristiq should work so I tried it and fell in love with it. I've been on it for 3 years and it has done wonders for me. I only take a 50mg dose which has really calmed my anxiety down and dulled my flight reflex. My doctor wanted me to start coming off it but I have no interest in doing so until my kids are big. I feel I cope so much better when I am on it. Im so grateful to that doctor for convincing me to try it. In the beginning I felt a bit out of it and high for about a week, the tight jaw and shaking that went away soon"

MKate · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 8, 2020

For Depression "Pristiq has been a life changer for me. I know it gets a lot of bad reviews on here, because I looked at them before I started it lol. But it may be the med that works for you. I have not felt this good in years. My energy is good, I laugh way more now, I am able to recognize and replace old negative thoughts with more positive ones. I have gained a few lbs but it’s nothing compared to living in depression. I am so thankful for this medication after trying 3 other meds that weren’t very helpful. I hope the good effects continue. Only side effects are sweating and sometimes I’ll wake up in the night and be unable to fall back asleep for an hour or two."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)