User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Depression 560 reviews 79 medications

7.3
Major Depressive Disorder 36 reviews 46 medications

6.1
Summary of Pristiq reviews 596 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Pristiq

For Depression "I'm taking Pristiq for the second time, I have experienced episodes of depression since 14 or 15 but always managed to come out eventually by my own means. When I was 28 I took Pristiq for the first time because I had a lot of anxiety and was depressed. My side effects were some mild headaches, feeling sleepy during the day, waking up during night. Now I'm 31 and was feeling very angry, anxious and depressed because a "professional failure". I'm on day 3 taking 50mg in the morning and my mood and anxiety are better already but feel sleepy during the day and wake up in the middle of the night feeling ready to go for a full day. "

I know I have potential but... (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have BPD II, PTSD & anxiety with agoraphobia. I've tried a LOT of different meds & gone unmedicated as well, probably over the last 15 years or so. Right now, I'm on Lithium 900mg. Just stopped Gabapentin 900-1200mg. On Desvenlafaxine 100mg (start, 50mg) about 1 year - Since I started, I've been lifted out of a suicidal & debilitating depression. Take into consideration lithium, my moods are more levelled out and I don't feel like crying at the drop of a hat. I don't feel completely hopeless. However, I do feel unnecessarily agitated, sleep issues - too much or insomnia, low energy, incessant nausea. I've also gained an incredible amount of weight, without appetite. DNA test "Green-lit" Pristiqu... Going to see Dr. today."

S Dove April 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I recently took a DNA test which determines which best antidepressants​ that your most compatible with since I'm very extremely sensitive to meds and pristiq was listed in the green column that would give no side effects, yeah right after nearly giving this med a fair two months trial of hell being on this toxic chemical I've encountered practically all the severe side effects reported from worsening depression of feeling hopeless and being in a thick fog everyday that made it almost impossible to hold a conversation and more like a robot, depersonalization / derealization, blurred vision along with seeing distorted objects and shapes that makes me sensitive to light, mood swings, horrible word finding difficulties, this med ain't me!"

kevin572 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Pristiq was great for me but seem to stop working after 5 years. Definitely start on the 25mg dose. Let your body get use to it, before increasing. I went to 50 mg but didn't like the side effects, so went back to 25 mg. Nothing else has worked as well, so I am thinking of giving Pristiq another try after trying numerous other drugs."

Ryskke10 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Gained 30 pounds while on prednisone. It was my 5th medicine to try. I was skeptical but it actually worked. Pristiq made me so sleepy and in a constant state of lala land. Gained 30 pounds while on prednisone and Started pristiq at the same time. I have gone a year and a half and still haven't lost the weight. It's different for everyone, and weight gain isn't normal, apparently. I tapered off the 100mg almost a month ago and now I have so much energy! On the meds I was still depressed but was ok with it. off the meds, I'm attacking the issues head on and trying to make up for the last 1.5 year stupor. I'd just had enough of missing out on life. Good meds if you want to sleep thru life and just not have to think about issues anymore."

Blondie80 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was prescribed Pristiq about 6 months ago and am currently on the highest dose. It took me awhile to commit to taking it because the side effects were awful. Headaches, groggy feeling, dry mouth, and constipation. I've been on it consistently now and the only difference I see is that I feel more numb. I still feel and think the same but my outbursts have calmed down since the medicine makes me so exhausted. I have also gained a lot of weight from this medication. The good part about this medicine for me is I get coupons for it and basically get it for free."

Toucat March 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Started on 50mg now up to 100mg. The main side effect I am experiencing is tingling and numbness of the face, head and ears. The sensations vary location and intensity, usually peaking in the afternoon/evening 6-8 hours after ingestion. The overall effectiveness of the medication is unclear due to concurrent methamphetamine use, however I am feeling better than I was prior to commencing treatment."

Freakin (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "After reading the reviews of Pristiq, I am amazed at the number of people that have had the DNA test and end up on Pristiq. When I took the DNA test, Pristiq was the "only" antidepressant found suitable for me. I have been on several antidepressants one being Prozac that worked very well for me for years with no noticeable side effects. I began to wonder why Prozac was in the list of antidepressants NOT to use when it had worked so well for me? I took the Pristiq for a few days and the side effects were so horrendous that I had to discontinue. The cost is also prohibitive for some people. My co-pay with insurance was about $300. I have a very dim view of the drug and the DNA test that shows only Pristiq as suitable for my gene makeup!"

Anonymous March 2, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking Pristiq 200mg for over 2 years and it has worked well for me. I have tried a number of SSRIs and this has been the best but isn't perfect. If I forget to take my tablets at breakfast time by mid afternoon I feel very nauseous, lose balance and feel tired. Routine is important with these tablets. Side effects for me include, some sexual performance issues, some weight gain and poor short term memory. I have had problems with generic versions of pristiq so stick to the real stuff now."

MickGP (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 10, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have been on Pristiq for at least six years for post-menopausal anxiety/depression. I tried several other medications without success, but this one is great. No side effects other than headache and mild nausea the first couple days. I feel "normal" 99% of the time - moods have evened out, almost no anxiety/irritability and have an overall happy feeling. I would take it in the morning, as it can cause mild insomnia. I will stay with this one."

waffles62 February 5, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "My experience with this drug was definitely not positive. I was on 25mg for about 2 weeks and noticed little effect, so I increased to 50mg. About a week after increasing to the 50mg, I started having severe anxiety attacks for no reason. I am in college and I had to leave school because I couldn't handle it. It is so so horrible. This has continued for about a week now. I stopped taking it a few days ago and am still waiting for it to get out of my system because I feel so horrible. I am going back to my old drug, Zoloft, because I didn't have any issues."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "MY PCP prescribed pristiq for my depression, anxiety, mood issues etc. He told me that the drug takes a few weeks before you could see a difference but I feel like I experienced everything the first day I took the drug. Although my mood and energy improved and felt better overall the side effects were so severe I decided to discontinue after the first day. My side effects started with heart palpitations, sweating, dizziness and a faint feeling. This later subsided but turned into nausea and loss of appetite I couldn't eat anything that day and even water made me gag. That night I slept for a total of 3 hours I couldn't stay asleep and the time I did fall asleep it felt like I wasn't asleep at all. My body felt numb and my heart was racing."

SaraS19952009 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Psychotropic medications are appropriate for the small percentage of us who would literally die by our own hands if we didn't take them. For that reason, their relative levels of effectiveness are often viewed by us through a completely different lens (realistically) than by those who take them for less serious reasons. Even bouts of major depression don't constitute a definite reason for taking pharmaceuticals. If it keeps you alive & lets you to work towards having something better BEYOND just 'existing', it's working. Try to reevaluate the manner in which YOU are evaluating the medication's effectiveness based upon what it is TRULY intended to do. As with everything in life, maintaining realistic goals & expectations is key to happiness."

Candles17 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Pristiq changed my life for the good. I tried others, this was the only one that worked and worked wonders for me. The only downside was a weight gain first year or two which is now under control."

John1111 January 25, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "For a few weeks I had a dry mouth. I still waken during the night but straight back to sleep again. At the beginning some brain zap things. But I love it! This medication makes me feel normal, happy, awake and life is much better. A little concerned about coming off it but I'll deal with that at the time."

NouraMcC January 19, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I've tried many different medications over the years, and Pristiq has been the only one that I can seem to tolerate. I started on sample packs at 50 mg for a few months, and it was actually working, until my doctor's office conveniently ran out. I was forced to go on Effexor, and though it may be a similar drug, it is absolutely NOT the same. I felt shaky, agitated, and suicidal thoughts also came back while on it. Now finally back on Pristiq, and after two days, my anxiety/depression is almost completely gone. It's like some sort of "switch" went off in my brain. I don't feel desperate and I'm not texting someone 20 thousand times per day because I feel so suicidal and needy. I am a trashy mess without this drug."

Sarah F. January 18, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Anyone who appreciates their physical health as much as their mental health I'm warning/begging you not to take Pristiq. It's intolerable in every way. I've been on it 4 weeks and 2 days. NO POSITIVE BENEFITS! However I have experienced the following from Pristiq: severe nausea, vomiting, nightmares, night sweats, headaches and migraines, brain zaps, loss of concentration , blurred vision.... If I can help only one person to not put this horrid dug into their body this comment will be worth it. Please, do yourself a favor, ther are other drugs out there. I regret every single day on Pristiq. I feel even more depressed than when I began."

Jessthebest (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "It's an amazing drug. I have started having GAD due to the nature of my job, I had tried several meds and nothing worked for me. Pristiq made a huge difference in my life, where I felt alive again. For people afraid of withdrawal symptoms, I have weaned off Pristiq over a period of 2 months with no issues. Now after 2 months pristiq free , I am scheduling an appointment with my GP to go back on pristiq as stress levels has heightened again. The only side affect I had was lower sex drive which can be stressful, yet manageable. That's the only reason I have rated it 9"

Hassan1234 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I just want to share my experience with Pristiq I had suffered depression since I was 15 and tried many antidepressants that made me hallucinate, gain weight and sleep all day. The day since my doctor changed my medicine to Pristiq my life has changed for ever I can safely say that my depression is completely gone. It also diminished my anxiety by 90%. I have absolutely no side effects no weight gain, tiredness, dizziness. On the contrary, it gives me energy, and I feel happy and calm all the time. I am more social, and I laugh and live life like I used to. Pristiq saved my life, and I know that for some people it may not be the best but if you are trying to look for a new antidepressant you should definitely try Pristiq."

Jessica Sanchez January 13, 2017

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "This med works well for norepinephrine uptake inhibition which is my problem. However, it can cause anorgasmia in men over 50 years of age. I can have an erection and sexual intercourse but I never finish the job. One of the side effects listed for this drug if you read the small print. I stopped using it years ago and still have side effects."

Senior M January 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I know one week of treatment is not a fair chance to give a medication to judge its effectiveness, I'm only reviewing the side effects. I was on the 50mg dose and the first 2-3 days were fine; no side effects noticed. However, my appetite significantly decreased to the point where I had to force myself to eat or I would go an entire day without eating. And I couldn't eat much when I did eat. I had cloudy urine and didn't have a strong flow; which made me think I had a UTI without the burning. Lower abdominal pain, some diarrhea. Lethargic all the time, no motivation to do anything. Not depressed, just didn't wanna get out of bed. Felt sleepy but couldn't sleep even with sleep mess. When I did sleep, it was very broken."

PomMom (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have been taking 100 mg for about 6 years. I had moderate OCD, high anxiety, and then a diagnosis of depression before I started taking Pristiq. I have found it has reduced my OCD, anxiety and depression very well. Lately though I have been experiencing intrusive self-critical thoughts and excessive bruxosis (teeth grinding). I am 62 and have a heavy work load. My libido has been hugely reduced since starting on Pristiq although this may in part be due to menopause. I also occasionally experience what I would call LSD flashbacks, of a benign nature. The images I see, only at night, are of extraordinary beauty and are extremely detailed. When I open my eyes, I can still see the images. Has anyone else experienced this?"

Bingybong (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I couldn't be happier with Pristiq as it has helped me get back in the game of life again. I started taking Pristiq six weeks ago, following its recommendations and those who have had success on it. While on daily Pristiq, I also do 30 minutes of exercise (rebounding, walking, swimming), drink 2 litres of water, only 1 cup of coffee/ tea a day and no alcohol. Regular bedtime/risetime (8 hours min sleep). Quick results help me to persevere for 3 weeks to form new habits and get control of my life again. The rebounding offset my dizziness, nausea, sluggishness, constipation and "I-don't-feel-like-it"s. Pristiq and a healthier lifestyle have me feeling like my old self again, enjoying life, friendships, good health and work again."

Back in the game (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I took this for 4 months. It gave me awful almost dangerous constipation . I felt dumb most of the time. I was never sad nor happy. I wouldn't recommend this unless nothing else worked."

Lefty448510 December 22, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "Has worked for 9 years. A very good treatment for my serious, persistent major depression with psychotic features. No psychosis or depression."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 22, 2016