User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Depression 577 reviews 79 medications

7.3
Major Depressive Disorder 43 reviews 46 medications

6.3
Summary of Pristiq reviews 620 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Pristiq

For Depression "I thought I could manage without medication but after 2 months I fell into the black hole yet again. This time my Doctor put me on Pristiq and it gave me an unexpected benefit. A few years ago I had a right hip replacement but it kept pulling out and I would fall down. It then dislocated altogether and I had to have another operation and after a year it dislocated again. This year Jan 2017 I had my other hip replaced. Not surprisingly the fear of falling was extreme. After 4 weeks on Pristiq I found I can walk without aids. I would like Pristiq to help stop the negative thoughts that roll around my head however I will stay on Pristiq regardless because it is the difference in being able to walk or be incapacitated by fear and anxiety."

Whirling dervish September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This medicine has changed my life! I feel like I am living life again instead of surviving. I used to wake up every day fearful of everything. It was so bad that I had to take 6 weeks off work. This medicine has changed me. I wake up every morning happy and very energized. I started taking this medicine in April of 2017 and its the best decision I have ever made. I was always skeptical of taking medicine but I am so glad I decided to."

Anonymous September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This drug has changed me back to the person I recall being 20 yrs ago. For the first time in years I've been waking up early with energy ready to take on the day. I have a 1 year old toddler and a beautiful wife and I want to be all I can for them and I don't think it would be possible without the assistance of this medication. I am also a surgeon and lead a stressful lifestyle so I need all the help I can get. There's been a lot of trial error along the way... My Advice: keep trying different anti-depressants and by 12 months there is a 90% chance you'll find the right one for you. If the medication gives you a significant improvement (but falls short of 100%) stick with it and sort the rest out with psychotherapy."

ChloeDrugs (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "SCARIEST ANTI-DEPPRESANT I'VE EVER TRIED! Put me into the stratosphere of anxiety/depression-became suicidal-anything-or nothing is better than this!"

ebelle (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Pristiq has been the most effective drug I've came across in my life for this mental illness! Only side effect is because it's a timed release, if you miss 1 day taking it you will feel like a train hit you. Otherwise it's the most stable I've ever felt!"

Clinical depression sucks (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am 34, its my first week on it. I didn't realise how bad things really were inside my head until now. At first I had 2 days of nauseous bouts but by the third day I felt less caught in a loop and yesterday I went to 100mg and while thinking of an old friend I had a slip back in a moment of time and with a good memory in my brain I felt a rush of elation inside me like butterflies. I actually felt something. I've been suffering for so long and it almost seems too good to be true. I'm so thankful."

Annarexsickk (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Its been nearly 2 years on various doses of Pristiq, and 100mg each day works best for my mind. Thankfully. I have some side effects that annoy me a lot, like no appetite, nausea, gut problems & worst of all- killed my libido this whole time. It simply ceased to exist. I continue to take my meds. I'm a widow raising a 12 year old for last 7 years after my Husband died suddenly very suddenly of swine flu. So much has been lost from that day. Inevitably it took its toll on me. Not a complete person anymore. Its like I feel asexual... But I am alive and kicking"

Elaine is my real name (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This drug made my executive functioning a lot better, but it also almost immediately made me super down and caused partial seizures (I have no history of epilepsy). It may have triggered an episode of psychosis as well but I am still uncertain whether it was a psychotic episode or a seizure as I also lost control and sensation in my limbs while hallucinating before losing consciousness completely. I would not recommend this drug."

rongeromy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Pristiq, BRAND NAME ONLY, I give 10 plus. Best thing out there for me. 50mg - barely any side effects, crazy night sweats, but sex drive in check - key for happy soul and relationships. Do not take generic, I had a serious relapse in depression almost put me in the hospital. Mind you, it took 3 months for us to realize what was happening so be careful! The generic is too new to find much information and if you goggle how inadequate testing is, you'll be persuaded not to use. Found Pristiq after decades of different cocktails until my new DR. had me take a genetic test - not ancestry test. I highly suggest, super informative regarding how your body breakdown psych. Meds. Thank you for sharing - today I live because I am not alone"

DD in the rabbithole (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This was a big change in life with 50 mg taken at night for one week then went to 25mg in am. It's been 6 months and things are great. I take also First Nutrients Nutrivie a natural plant base every day with 5 oz of water and that has been the best thing for depression and anxiety! I wish more people new! It gives you your life back. Hoping everyone can feel good again."

Kingbear67 July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I started pristiq 3 months ago and it has changed my life! I finally feel like I want to live. It all started with taking a DNA test and it recommended pristiq. I don't get those really low days anymore. I love pristiq! I never thought I would feel better after trying medication after medication."

Katie4717 July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on 100mg of Pristiq for three years for depression and anxiety. Without question it has changed my life incredibly. I waited 47 years to have the courage to take an antidepressant and wish with all my heart I had met this medication in my 20's. I started on 50mg but after a two months reluctantly headed up to 100 ... my reservations were for nothing ... this medication has worked beautifully for me. I did have side effects in the first few weeks, beating heart, very thirsty and slight headaches, but they passed quickly and I have been amazed by its strength ever since. I have had some serious life crises to deal with in the past three years ... and often feared the medication would not be able to 'hold' me ... it always has. I have an amazing therapist who I saw for the first two years but no longer need that support, the medication is enough. I used to have so many concerns about taking any such medications - was frequently turned away from them by what I'd read as horror stories online ... I wanted to let you know ... it's not for all of us ... some of us do have great reviews ... maybe not enough of us drop back to pass them on because we got busy with our new lives where wellness is the new normal. I never worry about coming off them, I don't care if I have to take them forever ... as long as I feel this good I'm not ending my relationship with them ..."

Finally healthy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "After five antidepressants this is the one that brought me back to myself. I'm not 100%, but I was at 40% and now 80% myself. I am able to laugh again, appreciate the beauty of the out doors, and to enjoy my kids without yelling due to being constantly overwhelmed. My insurance switched me to generic pristiq and within a month I started feeling the anxiety and depression return. I was back to feeling like a zombie and in addition had withdraw symptoms from stopping the name brand pristiq including headaches, fatigue, muscle aches, and insomnia. I have switched back to name brand 4 days ago and feel a tiny bit better, but praying name brand pristiq kicks back in quicker. No generic!"

Plutohomer (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Originally I would have given this drug 10/10. I had anxiety so bad that at one point I could not even leave the house without having a panic attack. On Pristiq, from my experience, a few wonderful things will happen: 1. You couldn't have a panic attack if you tried to talk yourself into it. 2. You will not gain weight (I lost weight originally and then went back to normal after 6 months). 3. Your depression will subside - though there is a BUT with that. The not great: 1. It is really hard to get off of, brain zaps, no step down options. 2. You become a bit zombie-like, lost creativity etc. A lot of not caring so much. 3. Sexual side-effects, though they do improve over time. Solid 5/10"

beesy24 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I took one dose and ended up in the ER with a horrible pounding, predominately right sided migraine. Along with about 6 hours of vomiting. It had to have been the worst migraine of my life."

xixi (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking this medication for almost a year. I have tried every depression medication on the planet. Seriously, I have tried ALL of them. I suffer from crippling anxiety so I needed something that would help my depression and my anxiety. This medication has worked quite well for both. I have noticed a few things since I started taking these. My sex drive is completely gone. I have constipation issues and quite a dry mouth. Losing my sex drive has been completely terrible, I can't deal with crippling anxiety any longer, so it was worth it. This medication is pretty pricey, about $45 a month with insurance. Before I was taking this, I paid about $4 for 3 months. My doctor gave me a coupon/card, so when I use that it only costs me $4"

CallieAllieCat June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been on 100mg Pristiq for 6 years for panic and depression. Prior, I had been on 150mg Effexor XR for 7 years. For panic, this drug is excellent. If you've experienced "brain shivers" or "shocks" when missing a dose on other medications, this one has managed to remove them, which I feel is great. I want to note, that you will get withdrawal headaches every so often on Pristiq which can be slept off. Over the years, I found that I had a more stable experience when taking my 100mg dose at intervals of 50mg at breakfast and the other 50mg at bedtime. This strategy attempts to keep your body with a consistent supply so you are "topped up" to minimize the withdrawl effects."

ExerciseToo June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on pretty much every antidepressant that is out there. Nothing has really helped and the few times I felt a slight improvement in my condition, the side effects outweighed the benefits. Pristiq has been totally different. Within a week of starting it I see a positive change. My overall mood is better, I have more energy, and I am more productive. Also, when my mood does take a dip, it seems that the "bottom" has been raised. In other words, the lows aren't as low as they once were. I have only been on it a couple of weeks and I am told that I still may not be experiencing the full benefit, which is great considering how much better I already feel. No side effects whatsoever. Very grateful for this medication."

Much Better (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I started on lexapro in my early diagnoses with depression it worked but then I became immune to the drug. Then my psychiatrist recommended Effexor which also worked for the short term. However that was in the early years. For the past few years I have been on pristiq I started on 50mg which did a good job of controlling the anxiety and lifting me out of depression, last week my psychiatrist upped my dose to 100mgs so see how I go with this. I am also on epilim 1000mgs daily as well as 200mgs of seroquel for sleep disorder. I think taking extra pristiq will help though see how I go."

Theo Chara (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking Pristiq for 5 years it took a month to get used to but after that the anger, depression and anxiety was almost completely gone. I was very calm and not much rattled me. Then surprise I was given the generic about 2 months ago, the anger and anxiety is back full force. Now I am going to have to try something else because the generic doesn't work. Sorry world I'm full of anger and anxious, here we go again."

DD0 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Originally went on Pristiq when I was 19, definitely didn't give it long enough to work and swore it off. I am now 22 and have been on the 100mg for 4 months after easily the most traumatic and worst year of my life. As reluctant as I was at first this medicine has been an incredible assistant in rebuilding my life. I did start off with awful side effects including nausea, headaches, shaking/twitching, always tired, waking up during at he night. I decided to stick it out and I'm so glad I did. Although it was hard after a month my body adjusted and my moods were noticeably more balanced. I felt more in control of my reactions to situations and it aided me to rebuild my life one step at a time. I just need to give it a month for side effects to calm down."

Demm May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was on Celexa for 5 years before it stopped working. Took the DNA test and celexa and others were in red but pristiq was green. Pristiq I took for 2 months and it was the worst hell I've ever gone through. Ditched the DNA test as it's garbage and been on zoloft for 5 months with good results again"

Matt4567 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I am almost 24 and have been on pristiq for about 5 weeks. I am now up to 100 mg but started at 50. I have no negative side effects besides maybe a light headache. I have been on over 10 anti-depressents in the past with nothing but bad side effects and had sworn them off 6 years ago. Nothing worked for my anxiety and depression in the past besides of course my take as needed klonopin. Pristig has been good. No side effects or appetite increase. I am also going through an extremely tough and stressful time in life at this point and once I was upped to 100 mg, I have noticed an increase in my mood positively. Like I said, I had sworn off meds for years, but I feel like this one may be working. Give it a try and work with your doctor"

Nat attack (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I tried Pristiq, which had been listed on my Genesight review in the positive column. Was on it for three weeks and had to stop as I had developed hypermania: no sleep, talkative, spending, messy, walking around confused and generally felt very high. Felt very unsafe driving and was also eating everything in sight until I had a stomach ache. Gained weight and just felt plain bloated. While I recognized that something was wrong, I was not thinking straight enough too judge. Fortunately, the prescriber recognized it and I am now stopped 3 days. Don't feel great, but I am glad I was not on it long enough to have withdrawal problems."

jmsagain April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I'm taking Pristiq for the second time, I have experienced episodes of depression since 14 or 15 but always managed to come out eventually by my own means. When I was 28 I took Pristiq for the first time because I had a lot of anxiety and was depressed. My side effects were some mild headaches, feeling sleepy during the day, waking up during night. Now I'm 31 and was feeling very angry, anxious and depressed because a "professional failure". I'm on day 3 taking 50mg in the morning and my mood and anxiety are better already but feel sleepy during the day and wake up in the middle of the night feeling ready to go for a full day. "

I know I have potential but... (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017