User Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

Pristiq has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 680 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 60% of those users who reviewed Pristiq reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Pristiq Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq

Kitten · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 31, 2020

“I have been on this drug for about 2 years. It certainly worked for treating anxiety as I never had a panic attack whilst on the drug. I am however in the process of stopping it due to the side effects. The main side effect that I am no longer wanting to put up with is always feeling hot. It is not pleasant. I have also put on 7 kg of weight over the 2 years but can’t be sure that this is linked to the drug. I will try a different medication as they all effect people differently.”

Jeery · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 29, 2020

“I'm on 100mg for 5 years - it is a life saver”

Spreels2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2020

“Pristiq not only help with my depression, but with chronic pain too. A LIFESAVER!!!”

Anonymous December 15, 2020

“Pristiq was very bad for me, 3 days in I started having psychotic episodes, within an hour of the tablet each night I would lose control, Eg, after trying to sleep for about 5 minutes, I'd get so frustrated I'd scream, Then I'd punch ten holes in the wall. Thing is I am an insomniac, I lay for 1-2 hrs every day to sleep, Next night I can't find a cigarette, So I kick a chair through a glass door, The next day Dr says "keep taking it" The next night I was walking into the toilet, saw a knife on the way, took it with me and cut lines in my leg, no thought process. Literally losing control and turning into a psychopath I didn't recognise for 3 minutes a day. That's a scary feeling!! Scared 8 years later to take any anti depressants because of this one.”

SC · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2020

“Here's some really important information for this med. I was given this med to combat depression and it caused some really aggressive side effects. Do your research! This medication is in the country's top 10 of all drug offenders for violent behavior! I had to do some research after I found myself in an aggressive situation without understanding why I was behaving the way I was. I found that some SNRI's can cause violent behavior. Please be careful with this drug!”

Suzyq September 19, 2020

“Just started Pristiq generic 50 Mg Hopefully with great results”

No_more_denial August 18, 2020

“Picture this: I am dressed and ready to sell someone’s house and before I can open the door and leave I freeze. I feel impending doom. I can’t move. I can not leave the house. So I undress with tears in my eyes, cancel my appointments and creep into bed. Completely ashamed and disappointed in myself. This has affected so many aspects of my life. Everyone sees a happy, confident person... which triggers the depression.... and denial. They don’t know the mental illness I hide. I couldn’t hide it any longer.I went on Pristiq 50mg two years ago. I would take it at night and sleep well & after 6 months I got off of... slowly but surely it came back. This time my dose is 100mg. I was in complete denial but I’ve been humbled and won’t take my mental health for granted. No more hiding in bed. No more fear of the mail man or someone knocking at my door. No more panic attacks. Don’t suffer. Live better and be well.”

gsodak · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 4, 2020

“Pristiq has benefits, BUT, be aware of serious long term use side effects. They are real. This is a powerful drug that affects many body systems. Don't ignore your side effects.”

Sayman · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2020

“Pristiq save my life. It is the only option I left in the world, it reduces my head pressure and anxiety. Just try it and see how you go. I am 100 mg on it.”

Billy · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 10, 2020

“Pristiq 50 mg is the ONLY medication which has worked for my depression. Good sleep Good appetite Upbeat, consistently good mood. I have tried everything else and nothing Worked OR I had bad experiences. This is my fifth year on Pristiq. If you’re without hope, ask your doctor. It’s been a lifesaver for me.”

Johney · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

“I found this drug to be extremely helpful. I haven't felt this good in years. I started with 25mg and it took approximately 4 weeks to start noticing the benefits. My therapist recommended I take the medication after having a serious panic attack that left me anxious and worried for my own personal safety. Never been that low before. Now about 5 weeks in, I'm feeling great and we decided to up my dosage to 50mg. I've had zero side effects as of yet. My advice to anyone on here who's curious about the drug to give it a try. And give the medicine time. It takes time to fully take effect. Like I said, it was weeks on end for me. Felt like an eternity. I'm more optimistic, motivated to accomplish goals, less anxiety, etc. Medications are like shoes; not every shoe is well suited for every single person on Earth. The same could be said with regard to medication. Take care all. Feel better.”

mtl222 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

“I have been on Pristiq for 1 month and a half. The first week felt weird : I had headaches, anxiety, couldn't eat, difficulty to sleep. Then the physical side effect went away and I started to feel better but it was very subtle and slow but steady change. After 1 month and a half I can say that I feel a lot better. I have more energy, more sense of control on my life. One thing that stays is that I have to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. I have skipped a dose once and it wasn't bad, I didn't cry or felt horrible.”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

“Had a DNA test to recommend what type of anti-depressant I should be taking....I had been on Venlafaxine for years after refusing others. Pristiq was recommended by this test for me to take. I did notice a number of positive changes taking Pristiq......Generic "Desvenlafax." I am more alert, Have somewhat more interest in life. No longer think about dying. It doesn't control my anxiety so therefore I take a mild dose of klonopin when needed. It did not give me energy but helps making me get up and around. I take 50 mg's a day. I do sleep 10 to 12 hours a day....sometimes not waking up during that time but I know that's the depression.I do take Amitriptyline for pain from Spinal Disk Degeneration pain.”

MAB · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

“Initially Pristiq kept me on an even keel. Then it didn’t seem to make a difference. I don’t feel interested in anything. I have gained 20 lbs in six months. I told my doctor and she said to stop taking it. Easier said than done. It made me extremely sick. Headache and nervousness were unbearable”

rbc123 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 16, 2020

“I never write reviews on ANYTHING online but after being precribed Pristiq for anxiety and reading multiple negative reviews I thought I'd write about my positive experiencing with this medication. I am 31 years old and have been experiencing moderate to severe anxiety my entire life. Last summer I began taking this medication and I won't lie... the first 4 weeks were rough. Decreased appetite, increased anxiety and just very spaced out. Saying this, once you get passed the 4-6 week adjustment period this medication is LIFE CHANGING. And yes I know that this medication does not help everyone who takes it but I encourage people to tough through the adjustment period. I honestly wish I knew about this medication earlier. And yes there are still lows you will feel, this is life. And this is not a magic pill... but completely takes the edge off. I wake up feeling great most days, I have increased motivation, little to no self doubt, increased appetite, increased sex drive, etc.... the list goes on.”

F*ckpristiq February 14, 2020

“I would not wish upon my worst enemy the hell I went through with this drug. My doctor at the time suggested this antidepressant to help maintain my growth & help my energy... this was the first year it existed and of course was expensive because there wasn’t a generic brand, it ruined my life. Everything in the small print happened to me. I slept on average 2 hours on my bathroom or kitchen floor because I felt suffocated in my bed. Everything irritated me physically. All I did was clean as if I was trying to get rid of something so toxic (pristiq) that my life depended on it (it did..) I lost a lot of my hair/eyebrows and I was going crazy, literally. Eventually I got off it, which was like detoxing from a hard drug, such as heroin or meth. I was on it for 6 months- I have been off it for many years, but I still struggle with the reality of what it took away from my life- so many years trying to pick up the pieces of the horrific reality I lived while on Pristiq.”

Niko · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2020

“I'm on Pristiq 50 for 9 months. I have had no negative side effects except brain drain when missing a dose. I like it so much that I want to try a higher dose. I've been depressed for decades. I've tried most other SSRIs antidepressants with mixed results. Pristiq is for me the best of the lot. I'm very surprised to read so many reports of adverse reactions.”

Crazybananas February 12, 2020

“So I had to share my experience because I’ve read so many reviews of so many different drugs. I was on every possible SSRI from primary care dr. The side effects were horrible. I mean HORRIBLE. Zoloft, lexapro, celexa, Prozac.....you name it I tried it. Finally got smart and went to a psychiatrist at the advice of my therapist. Hallelujah! He put me on pristiq and within days I felt better. It’s been two weeks now and he just doubled my dose. I take 25 mg at 7 pm and noticed by the next day around 2 I was getting anxious, clenching my teeth, etc. so he has upped it to 50mg. He also gave me Ativan for when my anxiety is at full tilt. I’ve had no side effects. I just want to give people hope. You can’t go by the reviews because we all react differently to medicine, but don’t give up. See the right professional. I also did the mouth swab thing to see what medicines might be a good fit. With the $$$$$. Good luck to whoever is reading this and stay strong”

MKate · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 8, 2020

“Pristiq has been a life changer for me. I know it gets a lot of bad reviews on here, because I looked at them before I started it lol. But it may be the med that works for you. I have not felt this good in years. My energy is good, I laugh way more now, I am able to recognize and replace old negative thoughts with more positive ones. I have gained a few lbs but it’s nothing compared to living in depression. I am so thankful for this medication after trying 3 other meds that weren’t very helpful. I hope the good effects continue. Only side effects are sweating and sometimes I’ll wake up in the night and be unable to fall back asleep for an hour or two.”

Missy January 26, 2020

“Awful I had all the side effects of Pristiq and have gone to the emergency room on four different occasions. I've been off Pristiq 3 weeks still having problems if they don’t subside I will file a lawsuit. It’s sad how you want people to check your Terms and Policy just to have their comments heard.”

JCU78 · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2020

“I just started Pristiq and slowly tapering off Paxil due to ED. It will probably take several weeks to work. I take other meds to treat panic attacks and hypomania so I am not worried. Depression is bad along with stress and it is important to find the right medication. If you are constipated then I recommend taking a stool softener- not laxative for constipation along with plenty of fiber. All meds take time to work, but only you and doctor can make that decision and no one else.”

Seaweed · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 19, 2020

“I did genetic testing and it showed I should use Pristiq for depression. For the first month it was wonderful. Then I stopped sleeping, would just start to drift off and then suddenly wide awake. I am trying to wean off been crying non-stop for weeks. Out of control anger and screaming. Suicidal thoughts are constant. This has never been me. I have always been joyful, optimistic and outgoing. I’m now locked inside afraid of going out in public due to erratic behavior. I am beginning to think the genetic testing is done by the makers of this drug”

Ratus · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 17, 2020

“I had tried a few other AD's Zoloft, sertraline being two I remember over the last 14 years. I put on 12kg but attribute this to the amount of beer I was consuming. My G.P suggested Pristiq which I have had good results from for the past three years. After two years of heartache following the collapse of my marriage my drug and alcohol nurse suggested that I should be on Citalopram. My G.P agreed to try it and after taking only 10 mg I felt fantastic. Little did I know I was under prescribed. I was mildly manic for 6 to 8 weeks and then the depression / anxiety and rumination set in. I went up to 20 then 30mg but couldn't concentrate at work and felt drowsy constantly. I went back to pristiq 75mg and after one week feel much better. I keep a diary of daily moods etc.”

Hans1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2020

“At 2 months on Pristiq. I switched to Pristiq from Lexapro because of slow weight gain and occasional brain fog on Lexapro. Gene testing indicated Pristiq should work for me and it has made my mood stable but has totally blunted any emotion I feel, good or bad. My doctor has added 2mg of Abilify to boost the effectiveness but I haven't noticed any difference from that yet. I can easily live with this compared to depression but I don't feel my pre-depression normal at all.”

TMc · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 10, 2020

“I tried many meds over the years that would only work for a short time. Started Pristiq one year ago. Iv'e stayed on 25mg which is normally a step-in dose. It works great for me. I was very tired the first three days but since that time I haven't had any side effects at all. This med has given me my life back!”