User Reviews for Pristiq

Pristiq Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

"I had been on pristiq 50mg for around 5 years. It helped me dramatically to get my life back on track. I noticed within the past year that it was not working as effectively as my body had probably adjusted to it so my doctor upped the dosage to 100mg recently. At first I noticed some nausea, headaches and extreme tiredness. These side effects have now subsided after a week and I’m starting to feel the full effects of the increased dosage. I feel absolutely amazing, I am focused at work, I am getting back in to my study, I have started to lose weight again due to my appetite decreasing ( I was eating way too much before due to depression) I am much more sociable and exercising again. I was also having trouble with substance abuse and that has now also stopped. Everyone’s experience with a drug is going to be a different story but I personally am very grateful for pristiq."

Amber (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 10, 2018

"Highly recommended for those suffering anxiety panic attacks depression and substance abuse. I was medicating daily with alcohol due to so stress and being depressed. Since taking pristiq cravings for alcohol disappeared within days and now really focused at work and handling stress with ease. Pristiq has helped my life back on track. Feels as if I have access to my brain again without foggy and self doubt thoughts...I no longer drink alcohol."

Happier than before (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018

"Used it for 3 months at 40mg. One of the least effective anti-depressants I’ve tried, plus one of the more expensive."

Aaron June 15, 2018

"After being on Pristiq for just over 2 weeks and endless migraines, I was rushed to emergency and had lost all feeling on the left side of my face and my left eye would not open, my blood pressure reached the danger zone, I thought I was having a stroke. After finally being diagnosed I had developed acute angular glaucoma brought on by these antidepressants. If it had been left undiagnosed I would have lost my sight. Please do not take this medication it should be taken of the market"

Retrowoman68 (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

"I have been on Pristiq 100mg for 4 years, I wanted to begin to taper off them and over the last few months have cut to 50mg and am now on my fourth day completely off the medication. I’m having extremely difficult withdrawals including sweating, feeling of hopelessness, crying spells up to 20 times a day, nausea, painful headaches, brain zaps ( sounds like zapping and poking behind my eyes), little to no energy, I’m also finding it hard to wake up in the morning. I have a very strong mindset of wanting to come off this medication and I realise the symptoms are my body trying to heal it’s self. I strongly urge anyone in wanting to taper off this medication to make sure you have support and someone to monitor you."

Kathug (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2018

"I am a healthy 49 yo female RN going through menopause. A family member noticed I cried too easily. HRT did not work for me, made hormonal swings worse. Dr prescribed Pristiq 25 mg & the next day, was not so "weepy." Depression is NOT an issue for me, it's the mood swings from going through early menopause. I took the 25 mg every day & felt great, but after a few weeks, started having insomnia & restless limbs at night. A little GI upset, but I take it in the AM with food. I exercise very hard, so no weight gain. However, the insomnia & restless limbs at night is starting to effect my quality of life. For a few months now, I only take the 25 mg every other day. Going to slowly taper down this medication as in my professional opinion, I have too much serotonin. I'm going to maybe take it 1-2x/week. My goal is to get off of it completely."

Bren (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

"I am not sure if this is useful (and this may be just my individual experience) but I was self medicating my anxiety and depression with illegal drugs and alcohol (abusing both) until Pristiq. My Psychiatrist prescribed me 100mg and not only did it curb my anxiety and depression it also removed the appetite for alcohol and drugs. It actually worked so well I have been abstinent from both for months now, so if you are using alcohol and drugs to medicate, a useful side effect of Pristiq is that you can get out of that abusive hole of yours."

Alpha (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2018

"Unexpected side effect while taking Pristiq; not only does it have no negative side effects for me unlike other antidepressants that I have tried that have made me tired or gain weight, Pristiq has by far been the 1 that's helped me the most. I had been taking Pristiq last year & then had to go off due to high co-pay costs (switched to Effexor but wasn't as helpful). Recently the cost of Prestiq went down & so I wanted to switch back to it. I wasn't positive if this specific side effect was related to taking the Pristiq last year, but I feel VERY confidant saying I believe it was, because when I stopped taking it I could tell & then when I started taking it again- I have much longer & intense oragasms while taking Pristiq! I've always had a good sex life with my husband, except I have taken meds in the past that I thought slowed my libido down so I stopped, but Pristiq does NOT interfere with my sex drive! It has improved sexual satisfication for me even more!"

Lindsay (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2018

"Avoid at all costs. This drug has been awful, on it and coming off it. I would not recommend it to anyone. I had high hopes, but was lethargic for months on it, barely able to get out of bed, now coming off it for the last month I am like a bear, snapping at the smallest things and if this continues I will lose my relationship"

X (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2018

"Taking the drug wasn't too bad. Experienced some minor constipation and case of dry mouth. However, when I tried to stop taking it I experienced the worst insomnia I have ever had in my life which led to intense depressive feelings. I was never warned the drug would be such a horror to try to quit and am upset I was not given this information. Perhaps not the greatest for short term use due to withdrawal problems."

Leesh (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

"Very effective when taken with Remeron. I was on Prozac, Zoloft, and Paxil prior to this. Zoloft and Paxil gave me horrible side effects, and Prozac stopped working. I was put on Pristiq last year and noticed an improvement, but experienced mood swings. Once I added Remeron to the mix, everything evened our and I feel genuinely happy for the first time in my life."

Jenny (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2018

"Fantastic medication with virtually no side effects"

JJ (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 17, 2018

"I took this drug for about six months. Headaches, weight gain, nausea, dizzy and head spins, sleepless nights and my libido went out the window and I haven't found it since. When I finally went off the drug, the withdrawal was so bad that I wanted the world to know this drug should not be on the market. It is horrible and it messes you up. Yes it did help with the depression a bit, but no better then some of the other ones out there. Worst drug I have ever been on, including my RA drugs."

shareene (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

"The first time I was put on this it worked perfectly I wasn't depressed, wasn't suicidal, no side effects at all, then a stupid doctor took me off them because he thought I shouldn't be on them, now I'm back on them again and having the WORST side effects uncontrollable shaking, head spinning like crazy, nausea, blurred vision, all around sick feeling, it was horrible it scared the crap out of me and I will NOT be taking it again. I am not going through that pain again it was to much. Felt like my heart was going to give out"

Anonymous March 6, 2018

"I have been on Pristiq for more than a month. It works immediately within a few days. I am someone who has depression on and off during course of my life (at hindsight) that I should have taken antidepressant especially my adolescent years when I was really down. Doctor suggested Lexapro 3 years ago when another episode happened but I changed my job. This time with another job issue, he suggested Pristiq instead. I looked up all the experience from here and was skeptical for a week before I took the leap and started taking the medication. I was unable to sleep for the first 2 nights that I changed to take it once I wake up and it worked! Headaches come and go. That's it for the side effect. I did not gain weight and not affecting sex life. I have never felt this happy or NORMAL before for the longest time. No temper at all that I was . I feel new again!!"

AHA (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

"Horrible medication with tons of severe side effects and even worse withdrawal symptoms."

PBJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2018

"I suffered from depression when I was in high school , it have improved for some time , then in college I started having Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) with panic attacks and depression I have tried zoloft before which I have not find to be effective . Before I used pristiq, I used to have irritable mood, short temper, no concentration, poor sleep, low appetite, anhedonia, social anxiety , depression isolated , I was afraid to give speeches, and had poor expression of emotions. Now on Pristiq I am more social, funnier, more energetic having good appetite , more happy, more self confident and having better self esteem, I am not sensitive for rejection and I give my opinion without thinking twice . It has helped me a lot . The only draw back that it cause loss of libido and erectile dysfunction I am taking it for 2 years now ."

Soma February 25, 2018

"When I first started this drug I was on 25mg for a week. Day 1 I felt like there were no voices in my head. The rest of the week I was back to my depression and was starting to get a yeast infection. The next week I bumped up to 50mg and could barely stop moving I felt super jittery and could not focus AT ALL and was super emotional. Will stop taking this and move to something else. I recommend this drug for anyone who really enjoys the way they feel when you drink too much coffee. I do not recommend this drug for anyone who has anxiety. Even though I was restless and jittery I still felt incredibly exhausted and sleepy but was unable to sleep. Also had sexual problems. Again not a good drug to use for people with GAD or Panic disorder. Not looking forward to stopping it either because the withdraw symptoms are said to be horrible."

Slc531995 (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2018

"I just wanted to share as when I started pristiq I googled so much about how long it would take to work. I was actually prescribed in for anxiety and panic. I had awful side effects full on for the first week, dizzy, drowsy, I felt really isolated as I felt so out of it and pretty much took the week off work and stayed in bed all day and night. I am going into my 8th week and it is only now that I can honestly say I am feeling close to being the old me- I have also started seeing a psychologist. If anyone out there is struggling I would give it at least this time. It is so hard but to persevere will be worth it hopefully."

Kelly Sydney February 10, 2018

"Helped my depression a little but not spectacularly. Did little for my anxiety. At 200mg, I put on a substantial amount of weight and had a much larger appetite than usual."

Puffy1100 February 7, 2018

"Works great for me! Tried other anti depressants and they are not as effective or have worse side effects, cymbalta works for me except that I get the worst dry mouth on it. Pristiq doesn’t do that. The bad? When I stopped taking it I had the worst withdrawal symptoms, horrid headache, queasy and overall feeling super rubbishy. So be aware when you want to go off it you will likely have to deal with that for me it lasted about 5 days?"

Xayanth (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 4, 2018

"I wish to make your readers aware if I may of the addictive nature of 'Pristiq'. I was unfortunately placed on Pristqe by my (past) Dr. This drug did assist me in recovering from depression. However, when the time came time for me to 'stop' using this drug it became glaringly, and painfully obvious to me how addictive this drug is; the withdrawal symptoms are more painful than the original symptoms! Unfortunately for me I was not informed re: the addictive nature of this drug. If I had been informed re its addictive nature I would have categorically refused to take it! At present I am reducing my dose to 1 every second day and am still feeling the affects. Please be aware !!!"

Nickipoo January 22, 2018

"The first 3 weeks I had side effects like anorexia, constipation and insomnia but then they all went away and now I am soooo happy I found Pristique. Literally no side effects anymore, sleep great and feel happier and calmer. I am going through a lot of life changes right now which would normally make me need hospitalization but I've been able to stay calm and work through the situations instead of turning off."

Grateful79 December 31, 2017

"Beyond horrible! It made me feel the worst I've ever felt in my entire life. Even worse than when my mother passed away. A few hours after taking my first dose I was wrought with extreme panic and a horrific sense of doom. The next few hours were spent trying desperately to calm down and none stop bawling my eyes out wishing it will stop. I got a fever and felt like I'd also just been slammed by a strong flu. It took a while to be able to sleep that night as I was still shaking from fear. When I woke up I felt a tiny bit better so thought maybe my 2nd dose may go better.. Mistake! Repeated the exact same thing. Threw the rest in the trash and spent the day crying none stop and feeling absolutely horrendous!"

Draqen45 December 27, 2017

"Feel down and nervous on higher dose. Stick with 100mg or less for a while. Over 100mg might be too much, for me it is. I take klonopin, prazosin for PTSD, and latuda for mood swings. Don't give up unless it makes you horribly sick to your stomach or other side effects, but talk to your doctor first."

DownUpper (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017