User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

"Started on 50mg now up to 100mg. The main side effect I am experiencing is tingling and numbness of the face, head and ears. The sensations vary location and intensity, usually peaking in the afternoon/evening 6-8 hours after ingestion. The overall effectiveness of the medication is unclear due to concurrent methamphetamine use, however I am feeling better than I was prior to commencing treatment."

Freakin (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Pristiq for at least six years for post-menopausal anxiety/depression. I tried several other medications without success, but this one is great. No side effects other than headache and mild nausea the first couple days. I feel "normal" 99% of the time - moods have evened out, almost no anxiety/irritability and have an overall happy feeling. I would take it in the morning, as it can cause mild insomnia. I will stay with this one."

waffles62 February 5, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experience with this drug was definitely not positive. I was on 25mg for about 2 weeks and noticed little effect, so I increased to 50mg. About a week after increasing to the 50mg, I started having severe anxiety attacks for no reason. I am in college and I had to leave school because I couldn't handle it. It is so so horrible. This has continued for about a week now. I stopped taking it a few days ago and am still waiting for it to get out of my system because I feel so horrible. I am going back to my old drug, Zoloft, because I didn't have any issues."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"MY PCP prescribed pristiq for my depression, anxiety, mood issues etc. He told me that the drug takes a few weeks before you could see a difference but I feel like I experienced everything the first day I took the drug. Although my mood and energy improved and felt better overall the side effects were so severe I decided to discontinue after the first day. My side effects started with heart palpitations, sweating, dizziness and a faint feeling. This later subsided but turned into nausea and loss of appetite I couldn't eat anything that day and even water made me gag. That night I slept for a total of 3 hours I couldn't stay asleep and the time I did fall asleep it felt like I wasn't asleep at all. My body felt numb and my heart was racing."

SaraS19952009 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Psychotropic medications are appropriate for the small percentage of us who would literally die by our own hands if we didn't take them. For that reason, their relative levels of effectiveness are often viewed by us through a completely different lens (realistically) than by those who take them for less serious reasons. Even bouts of major depression don't constitute a definite reason for taking pharmaceuticals. If it keeps you alive & lets you to work towards having something better BEYOND just 'existing', it's working. Try to reevaluate the manner in which YOU are evaluating the medication's effectiveness based upon what it is TRULY intended to do. As with everything in life, maintaining realistic goals & expectations is key to happiness."

Candles17 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Pristiq changed my life for the good. I tried others, this was the only one that worked and worked wonders for me. The only downside was a weight gain first year or two which is now under control."

John1111 January 25, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For a few weeks I had a dry mouth. I still waken during the night but straight back to sleep again. At the beginning some brain zap things. But I love it! This medication makes me feel normal, happy, awake and life is much better. A little concerned about coming off it but I'll deal with that at the time."

NouraMcC January 19, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've tried many different medications over the years, and Pristiq has been the only one that I can seem to tolerate. I started on sample packs at 50 mg for a few months, and it was actually working, until my doctor's office conveniently ran out. I was forced to go on Effexor, and though it may be a similar drug, it is absolutely NOT the same. I felt shaky, agitated, and suicidal thoughts also came back while on it. Now finally back on Pristiq, and after two days, my anxiety/depression is almost completely gone. It's like some sort of "switch" went off in my brain. I don't feel desperate and I'm not texting someone 20 thousand times per day because I feel so suicidal and needy. I am a trashy mess without this drug."

Sarah F. January 18, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Anyone who appreciates their physical health as much as their mental health I'm warning/begging you not to take Pristiq. It's intolerable in every way. I've been on it 4 weeks and 2 days. NO POSITIVE BENEFITS! However I have experienced the following from Pristiq: severe nausea, vomiting, nightmares, night sweats, headaches and migraines, brain zaps, loss of concentration , blurred vision.... If I can help only one person to not put this horrid dug into their body this comment will be worth it. Please, do yourself a favor, ther are other drugs out there. I regret every single day on Pristiq. I feel even more depressed than when I began."

Jessthebest (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's an amazing drug. I have started having GAD due to the nature of my job, I had tried several meds and nothing worked for me. Pristiq made a huge difference in my life, where I felt alive again. For people afraid of withdrawal symptoms, I have weaned off Pristiq over a period of 2 months with no issues. Now after 2 months pristiq free , I am scheduling an appointment with my GP to go back on pristiq as stress levels has heightened again. The only side affect I had was lower sex drive which can be stressful, yet manageable. That's the only reason I have rated it 9"

Hassan1234 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just want to share my experience with Pristiq I had suffered depression since I was 15 and tried many antidepressants that made me hallucinate, gain weight and sleep all day. The day since my doctor changed my medicine to Pristiq my life has changed for ever I can safely say that my depression is completely gone. It also diminished my anxiety by 90%. I have absolutely no side effects no weight gain, tiredness, dizziness. On the contrary, it gives me energy, and I feel happy and calm all the time. I am more social, and I laugh and live life like I used to. Pristiq saved my life, and I know that for some people it may not be the best but if you are trying to look for a new antidepressant you should definitely try Pristiq."

Jessica Sanchez January 13, 2017

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This med works well for norepinephrine uptake inhibition which is my problem. However, it can cause anorgasmia in men over 50 years of age. I can have an erection and sexual intercourse but I never finish the job. One of the side effects listed for this drug if you read the small print. I stopped using it years ago and still have side effects."

Senior M January 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I know one week of treatment is not a fair chance to give a medication to judge its effectiveness, I'm only reviewing the side effects. I was on the 50mg dose and the first 2-3 days were fine; no side effects noticed. However, my appetite significantly decreased to the point where I had to force myself to eat or I would go an entire day without eating. And I couldn't eat much when I did eat. I had cloudy urine and didn't have a strong flow; which made me think I had a UTI without the burning. Lower abdominal pain, some diarrhea. Lethargic all the time, no motivation to do anything. Not depressed, just didn't wanna get out of bed. Felt sleepy but couldn't sleep even with sleep mess. When I did sleep, it was very broken."

PomMom (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking 100 mg for about 6 years. I had moderate OCD, high anxiety, and then a diagnosis of depression before I started taking Pristiq. I have found it has reduced my OCD, anxiety and depression very well. Lately though I have been experiencing intrusive self-critical thoughts and excessive bruxosis (teeth grinding). I am 62 and have a heavy work load. My libido has been hugely reduced since starting on Pristiq although this may in part be due to menopause. I also occasionally experience what I would call LSD flashbacks, of a benign nature. The images I see, only at night, are of extraordinary beauty and are extremely detailed. When I open my eyes, I can still see the images. Has anyone else experienced this?"

Bingybong (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I couldn't be happier with Pristiq as it has helped me get back in the game of life again. I started taking Pristiq six weeks ago, following its recommendations and those who have had success on it. While on daily Pristiq, I also do 30 minutes of exercise (rebounding, walking, swimming), drink 2 litres of water, only 1 cup of coffee/ tea a day and no alcohol. Regular bedtime/risetime (8 hours min sleep). Quick results help me to persevere for 3 weeks to form new habits and get control of my life again. The rebounding offset my dizziness, nausea, sluggishness, constipation and "I-don't-feel-like-it"s. Pristiq and a healthier lifestyle have me feeling like my old self again, enjoying life, friendships, good health and work again."

Back in the game (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this for 4 months. It gave me awful almost dangerous constipation . I felt dumb most of the time. I was never sad nor happy. I wouldn't recommend this unless nothing else worked."

Lefty448510 December 22, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For years I refused medication for my depression and anxiety disorder. I had tried a few in the past (Lexapro, Effexor etc) but they hadn't helped or caused me to gain weight. After having my baby my anxiety and depression became so bad I couldn't leave the house. I met another lady who suggested this medication. I was really hesitant but I had to try something for my babies sake. This medication has really changed my life. I am A different person completely. I feel strong and don't remember the last time I cried (I use to be a daily cryer!). I am still anxious sometimes but life doesn't seem so hard anymore. Everyone that knows me has noticed the difference in me. It took about three days to get use to it, but it's been great since."

Aubs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 11, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I know people react to medication differently, some have had great experience but most have seen the dark side of this medication. I've been on multiple medications, this is definitely the last one I will ever go on. My suicidal thoughts increased to almost daily, felt like self harming my self all the time. super irritable. I was only on the medication for 2 months, before I was on effexor for almost 2 years.. multiple medications before. I decided to wean off of it with the help of the pharmacist for a month.. after officially off of them I have never felt something so horrible as these withdrawal symptoms. so dizzy I couldn't get off out of bed for 4 days, brain zaps, shaking uncontrollably, hit and cold flashes.. ect. BE CAREFUL"

cookieee (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have tried Zoloft, lexapro, effexor and they made me feel horrible. Pristiq is different. I added it to my wellbutrin SR and Adderall daily. Calms me and drastically reduced my anxiety without making me drowsy. It works within a couple days! Worth a shot. Try it. It could change your life."

mamakitty3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Great drug!"

HTOOOOO November 3, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This poison never helped my anxiety or depression. I am currently weaning off & it is HELL. I do not recommended this med. I've also lost 1/2 my hair in the 6 months I've been on it. Only 22 years old."

Crzygirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 28, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I’m currently in month 11 of a Pristiq taper. I have tried several times over the past 20 years to stop SSRI or SNRI including Effexor and Pristiq but have experienced such horrible withdrawal symptoms that I have not been able to stop taking them. So basically I have been dependant on these drugs for 20 years, not because I really need them, but because my brain reacts violently due to withdrawal. This time I’m reducing the dose extremely slowly and it has been better than previous attempts, although I’m finding the past few weeks very, very difficult because I’m down to a quarter of a tablet every two days. I’ve been reducing the dose about 12mg-25mg at a time and staying on that dose for one month. This is the most horrible and difficult thing I have ever experienced in my life and my heart goes out to all of you who are suffering and fighting to survive this hell. I ‘m also astounded, disappointed and angry at all of the doctors and Psychiatrists who are so dismissive of this real condition and who have ignored my fears about the withdrawal syndrome and then labelled me as a ‘chronic depressive’. I hope one day this comes to public the attention and that the medical profession finally acknowledges the seriousness of this growing problem and that many people need help. The same kind of long term FREE medical rehabilitation that drug addicts and alcoholics are given."

Pink Slippers (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 15, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been on Prestiq 50 for 2 weeks, was previously on Effexor 75mg for 6 months. Doc has put me on the Prestiq because it is supposed to be easier to wean off of. I don't think these meds have helped my depression at all. The first few day on the Prestiq I was very dizzy, since then I am even more anxious and depressed. I am seeing my doc in a week to taper off these horrible meds. NEVER AGAIN. I also take Adderall XR 25mg twice daily for ADHD, these meds usually calm me. I am now having to take Klonopin daily just to get by. Also my hairdresser noticed how much HAIR LOSS I've had. I still don't know if this is from stress, the Effexor, Adderall or my birth control pills, since all meds can have this effect."

crazygirl66 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was started on Pristiq 50mg a year ago when my moods started to get out of control, as well as my anger. I was so angry all the time, and I felt like I was always on the verge of crying. I experienced no side effects whatsoever from the Pristiq, and felt a noticable difference within a week. I'm not angry for no reason any more, and I don't feel like I have to cry when I drop a spoon. This medication worked wonders for my depression, anxiety, anger and invasive thoughts. My doctor increased the dose to 100mg after I plummeted emotionally, despite the Pristiq. The increased dosage worked! I've been on 100mg for 6 months with no side effects and no complaints."

diceable (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wish i was told what would happen!!! The wonder drug. No depression. Little anxiety. Seemed like my problems were fixed with one little wonder pill. 50mg pristiq a day... Its been 8 months and i barely feel anything. This is no way to live life. Sure, im not as suisidal, not as anxious, not as depressed and im not flipping my lid every other day but i am numb, bored, barely characteristic, i dont find joy often nor do i care to create it. This is no quick fix!! Also, in that 8 months i have gone from 57kg to 66kg. Not a welcomed weight gain! Sex life is shit, affecting my relationship as my needs and wants have changed to nearly not caring wether i have it or not. But the worst part, IS MISSING A DOSE! I cant funtion without it.."

Jessgirl91 October 4, 2016