User Reviews for Pristiq

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"I was switched to this drug because Effexor made me the meanest person on the planet, my doctor told me this was a cousin to effexor so I wasn't very thrilled to be put on it, but she really wanted me to try it. It did the same exact thing effexor did, made me very irritable and added anxiety on me. Every time I smoked a cigarette it would put me in almost a panic attack. Then tapering off the drug was a nightmare. I had the worst headaches and brain zaps you can even imagine. Along with twitching and tremors... for me, prestiq did not work."

Blondebabe22 November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doc did a gene study on me and Pristiq is the only one recommended to be best. Effexor was a second...but it's not helping much. I will comment again, but I'd recommend you get a gene study done."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pristiq changed my life. Made me feel like a normal happy person. Side effects were an annoying headache for the first 2 days. No more symptoms once I had come off it."

DeeDee1388 October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 34, its my first week on it. I didn't realise how bad things really were inside my head until now. At first I had 2 days of nauseous bouts but by the third day I felt less caught in a loop and yesterday I went to 100mg and while thinking of an old friend I had a slip back in a moment of time and with a good memory in my brain I felt a rush of elation inside me like butterflies. I actually felt something. I've been suffering for so long and it almost seems too good to be true. I'm so thankful."

Annarexsickk (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Its been nearly 2 years on various doses of Pristiq, and 100mg each day works best for my mind. Thankfully. I have some side effects that annoy me a lot, like no appetite, nausea, gut problems & worst of all- killed my libido this whole time. It simply ceased to exist. I continue to take my meds. I'm a widow raising a 12 year old for last 7 years after my Husband died suddenly very suddenly of swine flu. So much has been lost from that day. Inevitably it took its toll on me. Not a complete person anymore. Its like I feel asexual... But I am alive and kicking"

Elaine is my real name (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pristiq, BRAND NAME ONLY, I give 10 plus. Best thing out there for me. 50mg - barely any side effects, crazy night sweats, but sex drive in check - key for happy soul and relationships. Do not take generic, I had a serious relapse in depression almost put me in the hospital. Mind you, it took 3 months for us to realize what was happening so be careful! The generic is too new to find much information and if you goggle how inadequate testing is, you'll be persuaded not to use. Found Pristiq after decades of different cocktails until my new DR. had me take a genetic test - not ancestry test. I highly suggest, super informative regarding how your body breakdown psych. Meds. Thank you for sharing - today I live because I am not alone"

DD in the rabbithole (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this medication for almost a year. I have tried every depression medication on the planet. Seriously, I have tried ALL of them. I suffer from crippling anxiety so I needed something that would help my depression and my anxiety. This medication has worked quite well for both. I have noticed a few things since I started taking these. My sex drive is completely gone. I have constipation issues and quite a dry mouth. Losing my sex drive has been completely terrible, I can't deal with crippling anxiety any longer, so it was worth it. This medication is pretty pricey, about $45 a month with insurance. Before I was taking this, I paid about $4 for 3 months. My doctor gave me a coupon/card, so when I use that it only costs me $4"

CallieAllieCat June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on lexapro in my early diagnoses with depression it worked but then I became immune to the drug. Then my psychiatrist recommended Effexor which also worked for the short term. However that was in the early years. For the past few years I have been on pristiq I started on 50mg which did a good job of controlling the anxiety and lifting me out of depression, last week my psychiatrist upped my dose to 100mgs so see how I go with this. I am also on epilim 1000mgs daily as well as 200mgs of seroquel for sleep disorder. I think taking extra pristiq will help though see how I go."

Theo Chara (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Pristiq for 5 years it took a month to get used to but after that the anger, depression and anxiety was almost completely gone. I was very calm and not much rattled me. Then surprise I was given the generic about 2 months ago, the anger and anxiety is back full force. Now I am going to have to try something else because the generic doesn't work. Sorry world I'm full of anger and anxious, here we go again."

DD0 June 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Originally went on Pristiq when I was 19, definitely didn't give it long enough to work and swore it off. I am now 22 and have been on the 100mg for 4 months after easily the most traumatic and worst year of my life. As reluctant as I was at first this medicine has been an incredible assistant in rebuilding my life. I did start off with awful side effects including nausea, headaches, shaking/twitching, always tired, waking up during at he night. I decided to stick it out and I'm so glad I did. Although it was hard after a month my body adjusted and my moods were noticeably more balanced. I felt more in control of my reactions to situations and it aided me to rebuild my life one step at a time. I just need to give it a month for side effects to calm down."

Demm May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Pristiq about 6 months ago and am currently on the highest dose. It took me awhile to commit to taking it because the side effects were awful. Headaches, groggy feeling, dry mouth, and constipation. I've been on it consistently now and the only difference I see is that I feel more numb. I still feel and think the same but my outbursts have calmed down since the medicine makes me so exhausted. I have also gained a lot of weight from this medication. The good part about this medicine for me is I get coupons for it and basically get it for free."

Toucat March 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After reading the reviews of Pristiq, I am amazed at the number of people that have had the DNA test and end up on Pristiq. When I took the DNA test, Pristiq was the "only" antidepressant found suitable for me. I have been on several antidepressants one being Prozac that worked very well for me for years with no noticeable side effects. I began to wonder why Prozac was in the list of antidepressants NOT to use when it had worked so well for me? I took the Pristiq for a few days and the side effects were so horrendous that I had to discontinue. The cost is also prohibitive for some people. My co-pay with insurance was about $300. I have a very dim view of the drug and the DNA test that shows only Pristiq as suitable for my gene makeup!"

Anonymous March 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Pristiq 200mg for over 2 years and it has worked well for me. I have tried a number of SSRIs and this has been the best but isn't perfect. If I forget to take my tablets at breakfast time by mid afternoon I feel very nauseous, lose balance and feel tired. Routine is important with these tablets. Side effects for me include, some sexual performance issues, some weight gain and poor short term memory. I have had problems with generic versions of pristiq so stick to the real stuff now."

MickGP (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Has worked for 9 years. A very good treatment for my serious, persistent major depression with psychotic features. No psychosis or depression."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I technically have bipolar II disorder and I'm a rapid-cycler, but most of the time I experience crippling depression. I take this along with Trileptal to curb any possible hypomanic side effects. I took a genetic test and this showed up on my list of drugs that were okay to take. I'm on 25 mg, which is technically a starter dose but I've found that it's more than plenty to help with my symptoms. Within the first couple of days, my depressive thinking (intrusive thoughts, suicidal thoughts, paranoia, etc.) and daily panic attacks went down to basically nothing. I have relatively low energy still, but it sure beats feeling suicidal and anxious all the time. The only side effects I have is constipation and if I take it too late, insomnia."

Catman22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Im 28 years old.. always been anxious, depressed and I have ADHD. I tried medication for my deficit disorder before ( concerta, vyvanse, ritalin ) I always had major heart palpitation on them and always had to stop. ( took it max for 2 weeks ) About 1 month ago I lived a shitty separation and I was very depressed, the worst breakup I experienced in my life.. i was constantly anxious, no appetite, concerned, couldnt work couldnt sleep, constantly sad and miserable... I went to see my doctor and asked for help... for something to boost my mood, control my anxiety and the most important..no weight gain. Im on it since a month and honestly I lost 10 pounds. I have no side effects and I feel better than ever. Im happy and smiling all the time"

Marylenaaaa November 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Almost a year ago, I suffered a major depressive episode and I have tried mulriple medications. Although I experienced some minimal success at being able to easy again and get out of bed, I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder as well as Generalized Anxiety. Being on a leave from work for months, I felt pretty defeated that I would be able to get back to "normal". I took a DNA test and my doctors and I decided to try Prestiq. In the first two weeks, I has almost no side effects but it did little for my mood too. Now that I am finishing up my 4th week, I am finally seeing good results. It's early, so I couldn't rate this med a 10 but I am hopeful. This CAN work but it's not a quick response! I think this one requires patience."

Ardelean32 November 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Effexor and Wellbutrin for several years and I have gained 20 lbs. That made me more depressed about myself. I told the PA I would like to try a new generation of anti depressants to see if anything changes. It has been a week and I feel great ! My anxiety has been greatly reduced! It is like how amazing life is without being afraid or worrying about everything. I still take the Wellbutrin and that is all I want to take. She wants to add Ability, that has so many bad side effects...it something to celebrate to not force a smile....good luck"

Raejebro November 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Switched to Pristiq from SSRI after burning through most of the SSRIs and finding Wellbutrin was great but not enough. I had GeneSight and Pristiq and Fetzima were the only green a/ds that were green lighted. Started with 50, side effects waned after a few weeks, but didn't really kick in, so upped to 100 and lowered WB. It was awful. My memory has been destroyed on Pristiq, so I can't tell you what specifically but all of my symptoms worsened. Went right back to 50 and WB 450. Pristiq is ok. It helped the incredible sadness and hopelessness and affect/flatness, nothingness. Didn't help with motivation, getting out of bed, happiness, socialization, cognition. Switching to Fetzima and crossing fingers."

MDDMom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello all, I was prescribed Pristiq (50mg) for Major Depressive Disorder and severe OCD. Before going on the meds about 12weeks ago I read a lot of online forums and was terrified after reading innumerable horrible reviews! I have to say that this medication has changed my life, I feel normal again; I have energy, I am happy, I am motivated and my relationship has improved drastically! Everyone reacts differently to medications but do not be scared to try it based on the reviews you see. I experienced moderate side effects for the first 4 weeks; drowsiness (really strong in the first week), nausea, insomnia and headaches. I never experienced the 'brain zaps' and most side effects went away after week 4."

Leena Hei September 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pristq. Well. It's still early days but I'd like to share my experience already with this medication. (I'm only on 50mg, no idea how in the world people are surviving on 100mg). The first few days can be described basically as absolute hell on earth. The side effects kicked in almost immediately after waking up the morning after taking it (night dose). It honestly felt exactly like coming down hard off ecstasy. I had absolutely no ability to function for hours. Then the nausea, the dizziness, the headaches, the jaw clenching, out of body feeling, feelings of euphoria and depression all at once. In short it was an absolute joy! But it does get better! And it really works a treat. I find myself laughing a lot more, anxiety is half as bad."

Abs9456 August 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pristiq has helped me tremendously. I tried other drugs prior and they did not help me out of my depression. Thank you Pristiq!"

Anonymous7 August 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just horrible. Sweating, panic attacks, diarrhea, limb jerkiness, tooth grinding, worse insomnia, feelings of unreality and incidentally I have taken this for several months and the side effects are still there, just milder. No idea why this was even approved in the first place since it's just a "patent extender" for the almost identical drug effexor (venlafaxine)."

James Holden (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the 4th medication I've been on and the hardest one to work through. I suffer from mainly anxiety and PTSD not so much depression. I am also extremely sensitive to medication and have experienced all of the side effects. Pristiq made me more depressed than ever, and knew this was not me. I was always tired, then I halved the pill and its worked wonders!! Anyone suffering mainly anxiety I suggest you do this before jumping ship. I have my energy back, and going to the gym almost everyday. I also dropped weight using this medication. I'm getting back my life after losing to this drug for almost 3 months. Please Try HALVING the tablet- best advice ever given :) Now I can go back on teaching rounds without suffering social anxiety."

Wildflower91 July 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started prestiq on Tuesday July 5th 2016 again. And I have lost 9lbs already. I feel less depressed however I've been on it before and I will warn you do not skip taking it. The withdrawals are HELL!!"

Shelbryn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2016