User Reviews for Viorele to treat Birth Control

Viorele has an average rating of 5.0 out of 10 from a total of 91 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 29% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Viorele Rating Summary

5.0/10 average rating

Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Viorele

K July 12, 2021

“I’ve been on viorele for maybe two years now. Everything seemed to be fine up until the last year. My sex drive has been incredibly low and I’ve been getting re-occurring problems down there whether it’s BV or yeast infections I never know. I’ve been with the same partner for almost two years and I properly take care of my lady parts, however I keep getting extremely irritated down there. I don’t know if this has any correlation with the pill but despite taking antibiotics for BV I remains having issues. I noticed this past year my sex drive plummeted. I mean I never have the desire anymore. I am very much attracted to my partner but no matter what, unless I’m intoxicated I am not in the mood. Besides these two negative potential effects, I have had no other issues that I KNOW OF.”

BR · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 25, 2018

“I started taking this birth control in Fall of 2016 and was fine the first few months. By early 2017 I started to develop anxiety for the first time in my life at age 23. Throughout 2017 my sex drive noticeably decreased to the point of nonexistence and my anxiety worsened to the point where I was having panic attacks multiple times a week. I decided to stop taking my BC in December 2017, but now 2 months later I’m still dealing with health-related anxiety which I’m hoping lessens soon (panic attacks usually when I’m alone for no reason, heart palpitations, mood swings). This may not be the effect on everyone, but I wanted to post this to ensure others that if you’re feeling similar symptoms, you’re not alone.”

KateB17 November 12, 2017

“This drug is the absolute worst. Severe mood swings, depression, anxiety, constant gastrointestinal issues, zero sex drive, and the list goes on. Initially I️ thought there was something wrong with me, but then realized that my timeline of severe symptoms matched the timeframe of being on this awful pill. I️ stopped taking it about two months ago and haven’t turned back. Knowing how extreme the depression is, I️ encourage everyone to talk openly about these side effects and encourage anyone who is on this pill and is feeling a little off to make the switch to something else immediately.”

JuJu · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 22, 2020

“This Viorele pill worked wonders for me! I even lost weight with it. The first few months taking I did have nausea but after the 2nd-3rd month everything was fine. I didn’t get any sort of cramps during my period while on it, before my period started I would get very little cramping that felt like slight discomfort that one would feel when you have gas in your stomach but other than that, it was great!”

Mari · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2020

“I’ve been on Viorele for about three weeks and I can tell you that this has definitely caused side effects of a big spike in my anxiety, terrible mood swings and acne. Did not work for me hopefully I can find a brand that works for me.”

Nikkkkaa · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 31, 2017

“I really don't understand the negativity this birth control has. I started this in July 2016 and have had pretty much a standard experience in terms of taking bc. This isn't the first bc I've been on, but it's definitely the best. I suffer from PMDD so this bc is a life-saver. No longer am I on the floor in crippling pain, unable to move and/or walk. My periods are a lot lighter, as is the cramps/back&breast aches associated with it. & I don't understand 'this birth control made me gain weight!' It's been proven that birth control isn't the cause of weight gain. I'm still the size I've always been. I did, however, gain two cup sizes but shopping for cute bras is okay with me. It does it's job; unprotected sex with the fiance & not preggo.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 4, 2021

“I have gained 35 lbs in the last year on this pill. My acne is the worst it has ever been, and acne medication has not helped. This pill has made my periods light and I have no cramps, but the weight gain is crazy. No matter how hard I try, I can’t lose the weight.”

MK · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 21, 2021

“I dealt with constant bleeding for 2 years. All day, everyday. Non stop for 2 years. I was prescribed Viorele after having a horrible experience with Levora. For about 3 months I was skeptical because my period never regulated itself but I did have times where the bleeding stopped. However I'd have 2 week long periods and they'd be HEAVY. My gynecologist insisted I keep taking it to get my body used to it. Here I am 9 months later and though my period is still not regulated I have been 3 months without any bleeding. I have mild spotting about 5 days a month but I am SO grateful for this pill. I am no longer worried about having to buy a box of tampons all the time because of constant bleeding. And also importantly I'm not pregnant lol. I have had no other adverse affects. Also my acne has cleared up 100%”

Gigiii · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 17, 2016

“So, I took this birth control for 3 years. Did it's job in terms of preventing pregnancy, but at a horrible cost. I gained over 30 lbs, had terrible nausea, mood swings, anxiety, depression, headaches, almost NO libido, you name it. It wasn't until I got off the pill completely to give myself a break from the constant stream of hormones that is birth control that I realized all of the issues I was experiencing was all the pill, not me. After 2 months off of the pill, all of the aforementioned issues have disappeared. CONSUMER BEWARE. Not worth it. When I do decide to go back on birth control, it will NOT be Viorele.”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2020

“Viorele was the first birth control I tried. I started it in Feb 2020 and I just switched over to Sprintec, to give that one a whirl. Every single body is different, so it is so hard for you to base an opinion from what has happened to me. I hate birth control for this exact reason. It is so so hard to find one that works for your body. Trial and Error. But, my sex drive is LOW. I workout hard 5 days a week, the bare minimum of calories I burn a day is 800 and I cannot loose a single pound on this stuff, it is so frustrating! And I have also noticed that I am very tired and my temper is very short with my husband. I hate that birth control works different literally on everyone, so don't let this one post stop you from trying what might be the best BC for you! You have to try for yourself. The whole reason I started with this BC was because of how good the reviews were. I need to stay off of the reviews and trust what the DR says.”

Holly · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2020

“On Viorele I had horrible anxiety and depression after only taking it for a couple days, it’s been a little over a week now and it’s already caused me anxiety attacks and problems in my relationships and abdominal cramps... it made me dizzy and feel out of it too. After 9 day’s I’m already done I can’t continue to take it.”

StrawberryTea · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 30, 2016

“I've been taking it for over a year now (going on 2). I've really had no adverse side effects. I used to get hormonal acne the week before my period on my chin, and once I took the pills I stopped breaking out. I didn't gain weight. It also helped extremely for my mood swings that I used to get before my period. I would randomly get upset and the pill has really helped me control my emotions better. They only thing is you have to be consistent and not skip any days. As soon as I skipped a day, I noticed some side effects (ex. minor breakouts). Overall I really love it. Not everyone's body reacts the same.”

9056 January 15, 2017

“This birth control changed my life. I suffered through menstrual migraines and headaches for years, for 3 weeks out of the month I had a headache almost every single day. I started this pill in October 2015 and have had THREE headaches. Amazing”

picturerazzi October 14, 2015

“Holy no. I do NOT recommend this birth control medication. I've been on it for three months now and I've experienced: Bloating Breakthrough bleeding (heavy) Headaches Moodiness (anger) Crying Increase of Tourrettes' tics Anxiety 7/10 lower back pain Weight gain Increase desire for all things sugar :( And the blister pack itself is terrible! I've never had such a difficult pack to use. I wouldn't recommend this medication whatsoever.”

Andy · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 7, 2019

“I've been taking Viorele for a little over a year. It regulates my periods well, and they're only heavy the 2nd day, after that I barely need a tampon. No nausea, not much bloating. Its helped my acne somewhat. Although the minimal acne I had on my chest and back are gone, I don't feel it's helped my skin enough to be beneficial. My PMS is different before every period. Sometimes I'm fine, other times I'm super emotional. I will say that this pill has really affected my sex drive. I rarely think of sex, and it’s difficult for me to enjoy it. The only time I do feel the desire is if it's been awhile since I've had sex. Overall, I rate it on a scale of 1-10: ⬇️ Acne: 5 ⬇️ pms: 6 Regulated period: 9 Length of period: 8 Severity of period: 7 Breast tenderness: 2 Desire for sex: 1 I'm not sure if people can comment on these but if you have mild adult cystic and non-cystic acne and know a BC or other method that has really helped, please feel free to comment.”

SeaElle23 May 3, 2016

“This pill is effective as a birth control pill but the side effects are absolutely miserable! Each month before my period, I get horribly depressed and incredibly emotional and irritable. I also get constant headaches on this pill. Would not recommend if you have anxiety or pmdd as it only seems to exacerbate these conditions.”

kathmac123 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 7, 2018

“I want to share a positive experience on Viorele. I've had a really difficult time finding a birth control that works for me. On other pills, I spot if I take my pill even hours late. I've had full week long heavy periods on other pills. With the arm implant, I spotted for two months straight. With Viorele, I have some cramping right before my period, but just one day and advil helps. And then my period is three days long and so light! I missed a pill just last week and no spotting which is huge for me. It's all about finding what works for you so i wanted to share my success story on it.”

Super Suspicious · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 17, 2018

“Haven’t gotten pregnant on this and my period is pretty light. It lasts about 5 days. My face is also pretty clear, except for random chin breakouts. However, I am SO moody/sporatically depressed, have gained 15 lbs, and have a severely decreased sex drive. I kept thinking something was wrong with me because I’ve always been very easy-going/positive but I’m beginning to think it’s this pill. Beware!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2019

“Was switched to this Viorele from Azurette and it’s the worst . Horrible mood swings, fatigue, depression, and low sex drive. Only good thing is no acne but I’m only 20 and shouldn’t be tired all the time. I noticed this about a month after taking these and would rather stay off of them rather than put myself through that again.”

alli · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 8, 2018

“I was on this medication for over a year and had an overall great experience with this medication. Before being on the pill, I had 4-5 day long periods that were EXTREMELY painful. I would have to pop 3-4 midols to get out of bed! After starting Viorele, I noticed that the length of my period maybe lessened by just a day, but it was not painful! Cramps were still there but bearable. Don't have to take any pain meds for the cramps anymore. Also LOST about ten pounds, have no acne (had minimal beforehand), have a VERY regular period. The only con for this brand of bc is that I experienced regular headaches/migraines that I never used to experience before, but I was able to deal with them for the most part.”

Moongoddess · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2021

“I absolutely LOVE this pill!! I kept having to try different types of combination pills and they were all making me extremely hormonal/emotional and break out the worst I ever have. Finally I’ve found the pill that works well with my body!! I highly recommend it”

duck1970 November 21, 2013

“Horrible starting with the very first pill: severe cramping, migraine, lose bowels, tiredness, confusion, nausea. Had to stop after taking only three pills. Been on the pill off and on since the age of 19. I'm now 43 and this is the absolute worst experience I've had with a birth control pill.”

Angela Fisher · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2016

“I have attempted this pill once before and have it another go and I am unhappy with the side effects. I've experienced sore breasts, they have increased in size, severe dry eye, fatigue, depression, increased craving appetite of sugars and carbs than before like I feel pregnant, I have no drive or desire to exercise or do anything. I feel like a different person :(”

Mtorrey · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 24, 2018

“So I have been in this pill for about 6 months now. I’ve gained 15-20 lbs, I’m bloated 3 week out of every month and the week before and the week of my period I’m hormonal as heck!!! It is effective from not getting pregnant and I only bleed for a few days when I’m on my period, but not worth the weight gain and hormonal episodes, nope. Not for me.”

haleyc · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 29, 2017

“This is the worst birth control I've ever taken. I have been on it for a few months now and it's making me miserable. Depression, constant aches and pains, bloating, decrease in sex drive, and yeast infections are most of my symptoms. Do not take this. I am going to quit taking birth control all together if I cannot replace this one because I would rather have awful periods than deal with all of these side effects.”

More about Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol)

Other brands