Viorele User Reviews & Ratings

Viorele has an average rating of 4.8 out of 10 from a total of 118 reviews on Drugs.com. 27% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 45% reported a negative experience.

Birth Control
4.8
118 reviews for Birth Control 347 medications
Add your review

Reviews for Viorele

• BRano
  • March 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I started taking this birth control in Fall of 2016 and was fine the first few months. By early 2017 I started to develop anxiety for the first time in my life at age 23. Throughout 2017 my sex drive noticeably decreased to the point of nonexistence and my anxiety worsened to the point where I was having panic attacks multiple times a week. I decided to stop taking my BC in December 2017, but now 2 months later I’m still dealing with health-related anxiety which I’m hoping lessens soon (panic attacks usually when I’m alone for no reason, heart palpitations, mood swings). This may not be the effect on everyone, but I wanted to post this to ensure others that if you’re feeling similar symptoms, you’re not alone."

31 Report
  • KateB
  • November 12, 2017

For Birth Control "This drug is the absolute worst. Severe mood swings, depression, anxiety, constant gastrointestinal issues, zero sex drive, and the list goes on. Initially I️ thought there was something wrong with me, but then realized that my timeline of severe symptoms matched the timeframe of being on this awful pill. I️ stopped taking it about two months ago and haven’t turned back. Knowing how extreme the depression is, I️ encourage everyone to talk openly about these side effects and encourage anyone who is on this pill and is feeling a little off to make the switch to something else immediately."

24 Report
  • Nikkk...
  • January 31, 2017

For Birth Control "I really don't understand the negativity this birth control has. I started this in July 2016 and have had pretty much a standard experience in terms of taking bc. This isn't the first bc I've been on, but it's definitely the best. I suffer from PMDD so this bc is a life-saver. No longer am I on the floor in crippling pain, unable to move and/or walk. My periods are a lot lighter, as is the cramps/back&breast aches associated with it. & I don't understand 'this birth control made me gain weight!' It's been proven that birth control isn't the cause of weight gain. I'm still the size I've always been. I did, however, gain two cup sizes but shopping for cute bras is okay with me. It does it's job; unprotected sex with the fiance & not preggo."

19 Report
  • Mari
  • Taken for less than 1 month
  • July 18, 2020

For Birth Control "I’ve been on Viorele for about three weeks and I can tell you that this has definitely caused side effects of a big spike in my anxiety, terrible mood swings and acne. Did not work for me hopefully I can find a brand that works for me."

11 Report
  • Gigiii
  • Taken for 2 to 5 years
  • November 17, 2016

For Birth Control "So, I took this birth control for 3 years. Did it's job in terms of preventing pregnancy, but at a horrible cost. I gained over 30 lbs, had terrible nausea, mood swings, anxiety, depression, headaches, almost NO libido, you name it. It wasn't until I got off the pill completely to give myself a break from the constant stream of hormones that is birth control that I realized all of the issues I was experiencing was all the pill, not me. After 2 months off of the pill, all of the aforementioned issues have disappeared. CONSUMER BEWARE. Not worth it. When I do decide to go back on birth control, it will NOT be Viorele."

15 Report

Are you taking this medicine?

• pictu...
  • October 14, 2015

For Birth Control "Holy no. I do NOT recommend this birth control medication. I've been on it for three months now and I've experienced: Bloating Breakthrough bleeding (heavy) Headaches Moodiness (anger) Crying Increase of Tourrettes' tics Anxiety 7/10 lower back pain Weight gain Increase desire for all things sugar :( And the blister pack itself is terrible! I've never had such a difficult pack to use. I wouldn't recommend this medication whatsoever."

14 Report
  • 9056
  • January 15, 2017

For Birth Control "This birth control changed my life. I suffered through menstrual migraines and headaches for years, for 3 weeks out of the month I had a headache almost every single day. I started this pill in October 2015 and have had THREE headaches. Amazing"

• Straw...
  • June 30, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been taking it for over a year now (going on 2). I've really had no adverse side effects. I used to get hormonal acne the week before my period on my chin, and once I took the pills I stopped breaking out. I didn't gain weight. It also helped extremely for my mood swings that I used to get before my period. I would randomly get upset and the pill has really helped me control my emotions better. They only thing is you have to be consistent and not skip any days. As soon as I skipped a day, I noticed some side effects (ex. minor breakouts). Overall I really love it. Not everyone's body reacts the same."

• SeaElle
  • May 3, 2016

For Birth Control "This pill is effective as a birth control pill but the side effects are absolutely miserable! Each month before my period, I get horribly depressed and incredibly emotional and irritable. I also get constant headaches on this pill. Would not recommend if you have anxiety or pmdd as it only seems to exacerbate these conditions."

• Ginger
  • Taken for less than 1 month
  • August 16, 2021

For Birth Control "Been on this for a week so far and have asked to stop immediately. On day four, I started feeling really sluggish and when I woke up on day five my mouth was covered in canker sores and my lymph nodes were enlarged to almost the size of limes. I usually tend to go more holistic with my body, so it was very easy to tell the cause for this one. I chatted online with two different docs(it’s a Sunday) and sure enough this is a VERY RARE side effect but my body found it. I am so uncomfortable and in pain, I can’t wait for this stuff to leave my system so I can start to heal again."

5 Report
  • duck
  • November 21, 2013

For Birth Control "Horrible starting with the very first pill: severe cramping, migraine, lose bowels, tiredness, confusion, nausea. Had to stop after taking only three pills. Been on the pill off and on since the age of 19. I'm now 43 and this is the absolute worst experience I've had with a birth control pill."

14 Report
  • Kelse...
  • April 18, 2016

For Birth Control "This pill made me nauseous the first 2 months I took it. I gave it awhile to kick in after that, it works wonderful. My acne has gone away, I do not have any weight gain, decreasing weight actually. My breast have enlarged somewhat. Overall it's a great pill and very effective. The only downside is I can get emotional but that's every girl right? ;)"

11 Report
  • Andy
  • November 7, 2019

For Birth Control "I've been taking Viorele for a little over a year. It regulates my periods well, and they're only heavy the 2nd day, after that I barely need a tampon. No nausea, not much bloating. Its helped my acne somewhat. Although the minimal acne I had on my chest and back are gone, I don't feel it's helped my skin enough to be beneficial. My PMS is different before every period. Sometimes I'm fine, other times I'm super emotional. I will say that this pill has really affected my sex drive. I rarely think of sex, and it’s difficult for me to enjoy it. The only time I do feel the desire is if it's been awhile since I've had sex. Overall, I rate it on a scale of 1-10: ⬇️ Acne: 5 ⬇️ pms: 6 Regulated period: 9 Length of period: 8 Severity of period: 7 Breast tenderness: 2 Desire for sex: 1 I'm not sure if people can comment on these but if you have mild adult cystic and non-cystic acne and know a BC or other method that has really helped, please feel free to comment."

7 Report
  • idsha...
  • May 3, 2021

For Birth Control "I did not believe the reviews when they said there sex drive was next to nothing on this pill because I was a very active person, but low and behold. My boyfriend thinks I don’t want him anymore and the mood swings and blind rage I experience on this pill does not help. The only reason he stayed is because he knew what I was like before this pill. I just switched birth control so I’m hoping for the best"

5 Report
  • runni...
  • November 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been taking Viorele for a little over two years. I started out with a prescription for Kariva but CVS gave me the generic version which is Viorele. I was really impressed at first because my face was very clear and my horrible cramps and back aches from my period went away. After a few months I gained 20 pounds and 2 cup sizes and became very depressed and anxious. I did not know that Viorele was the cause of this until I went to my doctor. I just switched to a different birth control and I am waiting to see if there is a difference. Overall this was great for acne and cramping but the depression and weight gain was not worth it."

• kathmac
  • Taken for 6 months to 1 year
  • February 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I want to share a positive experience on Viorele. I've had a really difficult time finding a birth control that works for me. On other pills, I spot if I take my pill even hours late. I've had full week long heavy periods on other pills. With the arm implant, I spotted for two months straight. With Viorele, I have some cramping right before my period, but just one day and advil helps. And then my period is three days long and so light! I missed a pill just last week and no spotting which is huge for me. It's all about finding what works for you so i wanted to share my success story on it."

9 Report
  • Ames
  • November 21, 2016

For Birth Control "My doc prescribed this for endometriosis. I've tried other bc pills and right away they either made me depressed, nauseated, made my period last for weeks, gain weight, breasts ballooned up and were painful, cramps every day, acne, pretty much every awful side effect you can think of. But thankfully NOT on this pill. There has been zero side effects. Maybe for the first week I experienced mood swings at the same time at night when I took the pill but it didn't last if that was related to it. I only gave it 9 out of 10 because I've just started the second month and I'm keeping an open mind in case things were to change. But I'm so thrilled with it so far and I hope it holds up!"

• Angela...
  • July 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I have attempted this pill once before and have it another go and I am unhappy with the side effects. I've experienced sore breasts, they have increased in size, severe dry eye, fatigue, depression, increased craving appetite of sugars and carbs than before like I feel pregnant, I have no drive or desire to exercise or do anything. I feel like a different person :("

• alli
  • August 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this medication for over a year and had an overall great experience with this medication. Before being on the pill, I had 4-5 day long periods that were EXTREMELY painful. I would have to pop 3-4 midols to get out of bed! After starting Viorele, I noticed that the length of my period maybe lessened by just a day, but it was not painful! Cramps were still there but bearable. Don't have to take any pain meds for the cramps anymore. Also LOST about ten pounds, have no acne (had minimal beforehand), have a VERY regular period. The only con for this brand of bc is that I experienced regular headaches/migraines that I never used to experience before, but I was able to deal with them for the most part."

• haleyc
  • October 29, 2017

For Birth Control "This is the worst birth control I've ever taken. I have been on it for a few months now and it's making me miserable. Depression, constant aches and pains, bloating, decrease in sex drive, and yeast infections are most of my symptoms. Do not take this. I am going to quit taking birth control all together if I cannot replace this one because I would rather have awful periods than deal with all of these side effects."

9 Report
  • Anonymous
  • April 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m beginning to think the cause of my low sex drive, depression and anxiety, and skin rash is due to this birth control. I always thought it was just me but after reading similar reviews I don’t think it’s just me"

• LongR...
  • April 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been taking this bc for almost 4 months now and it's been amazing for me. I see a lot of negativity but everyone is different. I had been previously on several different bc pills plus before on the depo shot and with all the others I had so many issues. Breakthrough bleeding, acne, depression, anxiety, loss of energy and libido and focus, foggy type feeling and on the last birth control I took I had severe bleeding for 3 weeks which caused me to almost pass out several times. As soon as I finished the first pack of viorele my symptoms cleared up. I haven't had any issues with this pill except a little acne and gaining some cup size, but I actually lost weight with this pill which is amazing because on all the others it was impossible. I started taking bc after I had my son and was having 3 month long periods. This bc has regulated my periods so much and I have increased energy focus and libido."

• RTN
  • Taken for 5 to 10 years
  • May 8, 2018

For Birth Control "A lot of these comments on here are negative and complaining about the pill when only using it for a few weeks or so..it takes ages to get your body regulated with the pill and normal. I have been on this pill for 6 1/2 years, none-stop. I get some mood swings around my period time but that’s normal. The only thing I’d complain about is my sex drive is at an all time low..but my acne and period are so much better."

• Anonymous
  • January 25, 2016

For Birth Control "Absolutely horrible. Been on Viorelle for 4 months now. I get severe headaches for a week, very lightheaded and dizzy.I havnt been able to get out of bed for the past 2 day's, my body feels very weak, I can't get my excercise in, I feel very down. I feel this way every 3 weeks. I want to tell the entire world not to take these pills. I'm fine all month until the 3rd and 4th week and then I experience all this. Awful. I can't wait to let my doctor know on Monday and can't wait to try something else."

• Mtorrey
  • Taken for 6 months to 1 year
  • December 24, 2018

For Birth Control "So I have been in this pill for about 6 months now. I’ve gained 15-20 lbs, I’m bloated 3 week out of every month and the week before and the week of my period I’m hormonal as heck!!! It is effective from not getting pregnant and I only bleed for a few days when I’m on my period, but not worth the weight gain and hormonal episodes, nope. Not for me."

7 Report

Reviews may be edited to correct grammar/spelling or to remove inappropriate language and content. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest are not published. This information is not intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews may be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, knowledge, and judgement of healthcare professionals.