User Reviews for Viorele

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Viorele.

Birth Control
4.8

Summary of Viorele reviews 4.8 36 reviews

Reviews for Viorele

For Birth Control "I have been on Viorele for over 2 years, and I do not have problems with it at all. No pregnancies, light menstruation and no cramping. No problems with moods swings at all!!!"

Tee86 November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This drug is the absolute worst. Severe mood swings, depression, anxiety, constant gastrointestinal issues, zero sex drive, and the list goes on. Initially I️ thought there was something wrong with me, but then realized that my timeline of severe symptoms matched the timeframe of being on this awful pill. I️ stopped taking it about two months ago and haven’t turned back. Knowing how extreme the depression is, I️ encourage everyone to talk openly about these side effects and encourage anyone who is on this pill and is feeling a little off to make the switch to something else immediately."

KateB17 November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is the worst birth control I've ever taken. I have been on it for a few months now and it's making me miserable. Depression, constant aches and pains, bloating, decrease in sex drive, and yeast infections are most of my symptoms. Do not take this. I am going to quit taking birth control all together if I cannot replace this one because I would rather have awful periods than deal with all of these side effects."

haleyc (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is the only bc that I have been able to tolerate since I had my first child over 10 years ago. I had no problems prior to pregnancy. I had a hard time after my 2nd child. No period, thyroiditis, mood swings, depression...yuck! I have evened out now. I did have headaches, nausea, breast tenderness and mood swings in the beginning. Currently on the 5th mo. I do suffer from insomnia but often wonder if Viorele is making it worse. I had many other symptoms that were way worse than starting on Viorele. It's calmed me and fatigue is trying to leave. My bowels are effected during the yellow pills and first few days of a new pack. Meds effect everyone differently. I was about out of options, glad the side effects are diminishing."

not that bad (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was switched to Viorele from Azurette about 3-4 months ago. Azurette was amazing. Light periods, no cramps, no acne, no mood swings, no weight gain and did not mess with my Libido what so ever . It worked with my body perfectly. Since I've been put on Viorele, I've had the WORST mood swings, and bad depression. My boyfriend has even noticed that I never want to do anything anymore and am on the verge of crying/ having anger episodes. I have not been myself since I've been on Viorelle. I was on my period for literally the first 2 months of taking it. I also have had NO sex drive. Which is also affecting my relationship. I know different medications effect differently to each person, but I wanted to share mine with this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My daughter was switched from Azurette (no side effects) to Viorelle, by the pharmacy. She's miserable. Periods are still unstable, the breakouts have stopped but thats the only plus! Her periods last forever, she's always exhausted, looks like a zombie half the time, got sick with a cough and took a month to kick it, has NO energy, NO strength, gaining weight, Horrible headaches and period cramps. After reading the other problems ladies have had with this pill she will be STOPPING IT! Thanks ladies for coming on here to tell your stories!"

Barely Functioning Zombie October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Took viorele for 2 months and I had to stop. Started taking the pill when my period started and my period went on for 4 weeks (medium bleeding). I also got nauseous after taking the first pack. Nausea and long bleedings stopped with the second pack. However, with the second pack I was very moody, I had this uncontrollable anger and being so angry made me cry so much. Planning to switch to a lower dose pill. Being off the pill for 2 weeks, I can feel the difference. Even my boyfriend notices. I feel like I am no longer angry and moody all the time."

First time user (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on viorele for the past year and a half. At first, it was great! It got rid of my cramps, it regulated my period, and it worked in respects to preventing pregnancy, but for the past 6 months, I experienced a severe decrease in my libido, almost it was nonexistent. When I did want to have sex, I experienced severe pain, which I didn't experience prior. I was agitated and my anxiety and depression were worse. I'm now looking for a different birth control."

sadperson (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Pharmacy switched my pill from Azurette to Viorele and that was a big mistake! I was very emotional and depressed with severe anxiety. My appetite was low. I felt like crying everyday. Never again!"

noey7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I took Viorele for a single month. I have experienced the worst acne I've had in YEARS, my depression has gotten significantly worse, my blood pressure (which is usually spot on perfect) is frequently high, and my mood swings are horrible."

HeatherP19 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Kariva and Viorele are LITERALLY the same thing people."

duhhh (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm going into my fourth month taking Viorele, and I'm surprised at how well my body has reacted to this BC. I was on Lo Loestrin Fe (for about 6 Mo.) & Gildess Fe (about two years) prior to switching to Viorele. I haven't had any migraines, mood swings, or breakouts since starting the pill. I usually have all those symptoms when starting something new. Also, my period cramping, bloating, and pain has significantly decreased with the help of this pill. It also helped clear up my cystic acne, and my weight has remained stable. The only negative about Viorele for me was the extreme tenderness and soreness in my breasts. My breasts are the most painful upon waking up in the morning, but then the feeling somewhat subsides. I'm pretty happy."

Mónica Z. July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I really don't understand the negativity this birth control has. I started this in July 2016 and have had pretty much a standard experience in terms of taking bc. This isn't the first bc I've been on, but it's definitely the best. I suffer from PMDD so this bc is a life-saver. No longer am I on the floor in crippling pain, unable to move and/or walk. My periods are a lot lighter, as is the cramps/back&breast aches associated with it. & I don't understand 'this birth control made me gain weight!' It's been proven that birth control isn't the cause of weight gain. I'm still the size I've always been. I did, however, gain two cup sizes but shopping for cute bras is okay with me. It does it's job; unprotected sex with the fiance & not preggo."

Nikkkkaa (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This birth control changed my life. I suffered through menstrual migraines and headaches for years, for 3 weeks out of the month I had a headache almost every single day. I started this pill in October 2015 and have had THREE headaches. Amazing"

9056 January 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My doc prescribed this for endometriosis. I've tried other bc pills and right away they either made me depressed, nauseated, made my period last for weeks, gain weight, breasts ballooned up and were painful, cramps every day, acne, pretty much every awful side effect you can think of. But thankfully NOT on this pill. There has been zero side effects. Maybe for the first week I experienced mood swings at the same time at night when I took the pill but it didn't last if that was related to it. I only gave it 9 out of 10 because I've just started the second month and I'm keeping an open mind in case things were to change. But I'm so thrilled with it so far and I hope it holds up!"

Ames123 November 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been taking Viorele for a little over two years. I started out with a prescription for Kariva but CVS gave me the generic version which is Viorele. I was really impressed at first because my face was very clear and my horrible cramps and back aches from my period went away. After a few months I gained 20 pounds and 2 cup sizes and became very depressed and anxious. I did not know that Viorele was the cause of this until I went to my doctor. I just switched to a different birth control and I am waiting to see if there is a difference. Overall this was great for acne and cramping but the depression and weight gain was not worth it."

running247girl November 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "So, I took this birth control for 3 years. Did it's job in terms of preventing pregnancy, but at a horrible cost. I gained over 30 lbs, had terrible nausea, mood swings, anxiety, depression, headaches, almost NO libido, you name it. It wasn't until I got off the pill completely to give myself a break from the constant stream of hormones that is birth control that I realized all of the issues I was experiencing was all the pill, not me. After 2 months off of the pill, all of the aforementioned issues have disappeared. CONSUMER BEWARE. Not worth it. When I do decide to go back on birth control, it will NOT be Viorele."

Gigiii (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Been taking this medication for the past 2 weeks and I've expierenced nausea , dizziness, headaches and feeling depressed I'm currently seeking to change my b/c"

Regina413 October 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Worst birth control ever, make me sick, I have headaches since the day 1, mood swings, anxious , was feeling terrible, so I found out that a lot of people taking this birth control are having the same conditions, so I stoped, the next day my headache was gone."

Pam617love October 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been taking this BC for 3 months now and just had my gyno switch brands today. I have be incredibly irritable, anxious, and depressed. I feel like I'm PMS'ing 24/7. I've also experienced some pretty painful menstrual cramping. I do not recommend this brand at all."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started these pills because of a very irregular period, and once I started all my periods became regular and shorter. This pill cleared up my acne, as well. The second month taking it however I would feel nauseous, but it went away, and it also weirdly increased my sex drive. I did gain a little bit of weight in my stomach and my boobs grew 2 cup sizes larger. Overall this pill works for me and helped with my period and I would recommend it, although it works differently for everyone."

Anonymous July 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have attempted this pill once before and have it another go and I am unhappy with the side effects. I've experienced sore breasts, they have increased in size, severe dry eye, fatigue, depression, increased craving appetite of sugars and carbs than before like I feel pregnant, I have no drive or desire to exercise or do anything. I feel like a different person :("

Angela Fisher (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been taking it for over a year now (going on 2). I've really had no adverse side effects. I used to get hormonal acne the week before my period on my chin, and once I took the pills I stopped breaking out. I didn't gain weight. It also helped extremely for my mood swings that I used to get before my period. I would randomly get upset and the pill has really helped me control my emotions better. They only thing is you have to be consistent and not skip any days. As soon as I skipped a day, I noticed some side effects (ex. minor breakouts). Overall I really love it. Not everyone's body reacts the same."

StrawberryTea (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started the pill 3 weeks ago I'm about to begin the 4th week tomorrow, I've experienced breast tenderness since the first pill I've taken and it's been inconsistent and hasn't stopped yet, normally I'd just have breast soreness the week of my period then it would stop but when I took the pill it hasn't stopped, i did get acne the first week but it cleared up, I have noticed some mood swing change as i got closer to the 2 green pills, but I normally pms the week before my period, it seems as tho my patience is a lot thinner now though then it was before, I'm nervous for the yellow pills because my periods weren't ever bad before and I'm afraid there gonna be longer or something but i hope not. Overall i like the pill and would recommend it"

Paitent (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This pill is effective as a birth control pill but the side effects are absolutely miserable! Each month before my period, I get horribly depressed and incredibly emotional and irritable. I also get constant headaches on this pill. Would not recommend if you have anxiety or pmdd as it only seems to exacerbate these conditions."

SeaElle23 May 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

More about Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol)

Other brands: Apri, Reclipsen, Enskyce, Azurette, ... +16 more