User Reviews for Viorele

Birth Control
4.9

Summary of Viorele reviews 4.9 54 reviews

Reviews for Viorele

For Birth Control "I was on this medication for over a year and had an overall great experience with this medication. Before being on the pill, I had 4-5 day long periods that were EXTREMELY painful. I would have to pop 3-4 midols to get out of bed! After starting Viorele, I noticed that the length of my period maybe lessened by just a day, but it was not painful! Cramps were still there but bearable. Don't have to take any pain meds for the cramps anymore. Also LOST about ten pounds, have no acne (had minimal beforehand), have a VERY regular period. The only con for this brand of bc is that I experienced regular headaches/migraines that I never used to experience before, but I was able to deal with them for the most part."

alli (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on viorele for 3-4 years now and have had a somewhat okay experience with it. It has helped with my intense periods by A LOT and I don't get the infamous period pimples as often. But I have recently realized one thing that has been hurting in a more personal sense. I have been getting bad mood swings about 1-4 times a month, not just before my period either. It has been incredibly confusing and I feel has been hurting my relationship. I am generally more irritable and get random times ranging from a day to a few weeks of depression. I have also noticed that in the past year once I stop taking the white pills and start on the sugar pills, my period can take almost a week to come, where in earlier years if I missed for just a few hours or one day I would start immediately. I don't know what that could mean but just thought it was weird. Can't get off the pill or intense periods immediately start again. Scared to try other pills that may have different or worse side effects. :/"

... (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I have taken this for 3 months now, and did not like it. I should specify that my main reason for picking a hormonal contraceptive is because I have heavy painful periods. I’ve had incredible results with other pills, but this one was absolutely useless for that reason. I’m glad it’s worked for some, but I will be switching yet again."

BWee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been taking viroele for 6 months. Everything was great up until this last month. About 2 weeks into the new pack and I had breakthrough bleeding. I haven't missed a pill ever. I thought I was pregnant, took tests negative. Went to doctors for a test, also negative. I don't want to switch again so I'm hoping this was a one time occurrence but its lasted several days now and I am not happy with it. I don't know if they changed components in it since they changed their packaging and such, hopefully this is not what happened as it was doing fine before."

Whattheheck (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2018

For Birth Control "A lot of these comments on here are negative and complaining about the pill when only using it for a few weeks or so..it takes ages to get your body regulated with the pill and normal. I have been on this pill for 6 1/2 years, none-stop. I get some mood swings around my period time but that’s normal. The only thing I’d complain about is my sex drive is at an all time low..but my acne and period are so much better."

RTN (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been taking this bc for almost 4 months now and it's been amazing for me. I see a lot of negativity but everyone is different. I had been previously on several different bc pills plus before on the depo shot and with all the others I had so many issues. Breakthrough bleeding, acne, depression, anxiety, loss of energy and libido and focus, foggy type feeling and on the last birth control I took I had severe bleeding for 3 weeks which caused me to almost pass out several times. As soon as I finished the first pack of viorele my symptoms cleared up. I haven't had any issues with this pill except a little acne and gaining some cup size, but I actually lost weight with this pill which is amazing because on all the others it was impossible. I started taking bc after I had my son and was having 3 month long periods. This bc has regulated my periods so much and I have increased energy focus and libido."

LongRoad (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m beginning to think the cause of my low sex drive, depression and anxiety, and skin rash is due to this birth control. I always thought it was just me but after reading similar reviews I don’t think it’s just me"

Anonymous April 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I take Azurette and have no side effects other than breakthrough bleeding two days into a pack. My pharmacy just switched my birth control to viorele and I decided to give it a try. The first week I had increased facial acne. Week two of the pack brought excessive emotions and gas build up. My stomach is skinny fit looking. By lunch time I felt disgusting, I was burping a lot, and if you looked at my stomach I looked as if I was pregnant and starting to show. Yesterday was the first day of the third week. Same bloating. That night I was miserable. I looked in the mirror and I literally looked pregnant. I laid in bed on my side and brought my knees to my chest. After a minute, I felt the gas buildup release and could literally feel it move through my intestines. Today I refused to take it. No gas build up. No bloating. I am so relaxed. I would not recommend to anyone. I am taking my pack with me to my doctor to make talk about my reactions to make sure I'm never on it again."

Anonymous April 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I started taking this birth control in Fall of 2016 and was fine the first few months. By early 2017 I started to develop anxiety for the first time in my life at age 23. Throughout 2017 my sex drive noticeably decreased to the point of nonexistence and my anxiety worsened to the point where I was having panic attacks multiple times a week. I decided to stop taking my BC in December 2017, but now 2 months later I’m still dealing with health-related anxiety which I’m hoping lessens soon (panic attacks usually when I’m alone for no reason, heart palpitations, mood swings). This may not be the effect on everyone, but I wanted to post this to ensure others that if you’re feeling similar symptoms, you’re not alone."

BR (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 25, 2018

For Birth Control "My obgyn tried me on this bc due to heavy periods and the progestin from my previous bc was harsh on my stomach. My first pack, no issues but period was still a bit heavy. Second pack, extremely moody at PMS time and period came a day before I got to the sugar pills. At the end of my pack, period was ending. Started my third pack and period came back with a vengeance. Period is coming to an end but 9-10 days is ridiculous. My periods are usually no more than 7 days with or without the pill. One good thing is I didn't get pregnant. I will see what happens with one more pack. My obgyn might have to put me on one with a little more estrogen."

Linzee83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had a terrible time with birth controls, and this one was no different, except maybe the side effects were more extreme. Not only have I gained 10-20 pounds, but I have been extremely depressed and have had horrible nightmares. It took me a while to figure out that it was my bc, and I stopped immediately. My period was pretty regular and I did not get pregnant, but the mood swings, depression, nightmares and anxiety are unbearable. absolutely do not recommend."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I want to share a positive experience on Viorele. I've had a really difficult time finding a birth control that works for me. On other pills, I spot if I take my pill even hours late. I've had full week long heavy periods on other pills. With the arm implant, I spotted for two months straight. With Viorele, I have some cramping right before my period, but just one day and advil helps. And then my period is three days long and so light! I missed a pill just last week and no spotting which is huge for me. It's all about finding what works for you so i wanted to share my success story on it."

kathmac123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2018

For Birth Control "Haven’t gotten pregnant on this and my period is pretty light. It lasts about 5 days. My face is also pretty clear, except for random chin breakouts. However, I am SO moody/sporatically depressed, have gained 15 lbs, and have a severely decreased sex drive. I kept thinking something was wrong with me because I’ve always been very easy-going/positive but I’m beginning to think it’s this pill. Beware!"

Super Suspicious (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been taking this BC for 2 months. Horrible mood swings and depression since week 1. Definitely looking for a new BC."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I took Viorele for approximately 2 years. It worked great for clearing up my cystic acne and it did it’s job in preventing pregnancy; however, I’ve noticed the following for the past 2 years: -NO desire to be intimate/NO sex drive. This has hurt my relationship as I now have sex with my fiancé only once a month, if that! -UNRULY CRAVINGS which led to 25 lb. weight gain. Currently medically diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder -moody, irritable, and short tempered demeanor -increase in anxiety and depression The only reason I continued to take Viorele was because it was completely free with my insurance but it’s clearly not worth it. In my opinion, you should definitely consider another BC pill/method!"

NicoleVirgo (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2017

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control for 4 months and LOVED it. I’ve been through quite a few pills. It cleared my skin completely (I am prone to acne) and made my periods lighter and PMS was so better easier with fewer mood swings that were not even half as bad as they were before I started taking Viorele. I also went up two full cup sizes which was wonderful for me. Then all of a sudden, I started getting unbelievably painful pounding headaches. I was walking around work squeezing my head (since OTC pain meds didn’t help) and saying something is wrong with me. I was so scared. However, the only new change I had made in my life was this pill. So I stopped it. After about 10 more days of horrible debilitating headaches, they finally stopped."

TryingToBeHappy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2017

For Birth Control "I was switched from Azurette to Viorele by my pharmacy. Took Viorele for almost 3 months because I got 3 packs at a time. It gave me frequent headaches that I didn't experience on the azurette even though they are supposed to be the same. The biggest issue is I thought I had a UTI because it made me have to pee ALL the time. I had no other changes in my life except the pill so after going to the doctor and getting checked for UTI and it being negative I have switched back. My boobs were always sore but it made them look bigger so I didn't mind too much. If you have already big boobs though this might be a problem. Skin looks great on both pills. Period is light but cramps can be horrible sometimes."

aryah December 6, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on Viorele for over 2 years, and I do not have problems with it at all. No pregnancies, light menstruation and no cramping. No problems with moods swings at all!!!"

Tee86 November 13, 2017

For Birth Control "This drug is the absolute worst. Severe mood swings, depression, anxiety, constant gastrointestinal issues, zero sex drive, and the list goes on. Initially I️ thought there was something wrong with me, but then realized that my timeline of severe symptoms matched the timeframe of being on this awful pill. I️ stopped taking it about two months ago and haven’t turned back. Knowing how extreme the depression is, I️ encourage everyone to talk openly about these side effects and encourage anyone who is on this pill and is feeling a little off to make the switch to something else immediately."

KateB17 November 12, 2017

For Birth Control "I’ve really liked this BC. I haven’t had any weight gain or mood swings. The few things I have experienced is trouble wearing contacts, darkening of facial skin, and a little more acne around chin. Other than that can’t complain. Doctors would like me to switch from this BC to and IUD or implant due to the fact I’m on Lamotrigine. I’m pretty nervous about that."

Jayne42080 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 1, 2017

For Birth Control "This is the worst birth control I've ever taken. I have been on it for a few months now and it's making me miserable. Depression, constant aches and pains, bloating, decrease in sex drive, and yeast infections are most of my symptoms. Do not take this. I am going to quit taking birth control all together if I cannot replace this one because I would rather have awful periods than deal with all of these side effects."

haleyc (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

For Birth Control "This is the only bc that I have been able to tolerate since I had my first child over 10 years ago. I had no problems prior to pregnancy. I had a hard time after my 2nd child. No period, thyroiditis, mood swings, depression...yuck! I have evened out now. I did have headaches, nausea, breast tenderness and mood swings in the beginning. Currently on the 5th mo. I do suffer from insomnia but often wonder if Viorele is making it worse. I had many other symptoms that were way worse than starting on Viorele. It's calmed me and fatigue is trying to leave. My bowels are effected during the yellow pills and first few days of a new pack. Meds effect everyone differently. I was about out of options, glad the side effects are diminishing."

not that bad (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

For Birth Control "I was switched to Viorele from Azurette about 3-4 months ago. Azurette was amazing. Light periods, no cramps, no acne, no mood swings, no weight gain and did not mess with my Libido what so ever . It worked with my body perfectly. Since I've been put on Viorele, I've had the WORST mood swings, and bad depression. My boyfriend has even noticed that I never want to do anything anymore and am on the verge of crying/ having anger episodes. I have not been myself since I've been on Viorelle. I was on my period for literally the first 2 months of taking it. I also have had NO sex drive. Which is also affecting my relationship. I know different medications effect differently to each person, but I wanted to share mine with this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

For Birth Control "My daughter was switched from Azurette (no side effects) to Viorelle, by the pharmacy. She's miserable. Periods are still unstable, the breakouts have stopped but thats the only plus! Her periods last forever, she's always exhausted, looks like a zombie half the time, got sick with a cough and took a month to kick it, has NO energy, NO strength, gaining weight, Horrible headaches and period cramps. After reading the other problems ladies have had with this pill she will be STOPPING IT! Thanks ladies for coming on here to tell your stories!"

Barely Functioning Zombie October 5, 2017

For Birth Control "Took viorele for 2 months and I had to stop. Started taking the pill when my period started and my period went on for 4 weeks (medium bleeding). I also got nauseous after taking the first pack. Nausea and long bleedings stopped with the second pack. However, with the second pack I was very moody, I had this uncontrollable anger and being so angry made me cry so much. Planning to switch to a lower dose pill. Being off the pill for 2 weeks, I can feel the difference. Even my boyfriend notices. I feel like I am no longer angry and moody all the time."

First time user (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Page 1 2 3 Next

More about Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol)

Other brands: Apri, Enskyce, Kariva, Isibloom, ... +16 more