User Reviews for Viorele

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Viorele.

Birth Control
4.8

Summary of Viorele reviews 4.8 44 reviews

Reviews for Viorele

For Birth Control "I have had a terrible time with birth controls, and this one was no different, except maybe the side effects were more extreme. Not only have I gained 10-20 pounds, but I have been extremely depressed and have had horrible nightmares. It took me a while to figure out that it was my bc, and I stopped immediately. My period was pretty regular and I did not get pregnant, but the mood swings, depression, nightmares and anxiety are unbearable. absolutely do not recommend."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I want to share a positive experience on Viorele. I've had a really difficult time finding a birth control that works for me. On other pills, I spot if I take my pill even hours late. I've had full week long heavy periods on other pills. With the arm implant, I spotted for two months straight. With Viorele, I have some cramping right before my period, but just one day and advil helps. And then my period is three days long and so light! I missed a pill just last week and no spotting which is huge for me. It's all about finding what works for you so i wanted to share my success story on it."

kathmac123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2018

For Birth Control "Haven’t gotten pregnant on this and my period is pretty light. It lasts about 5 days. My face is also pretty clear, except for random chin breakouts. However, I am SO moody/sporatically depressed, have gained 15 lbs, and have a severely decreased sex drive. I kept thinking something was wrong with me because I’ve always been very easy-going/positive but I’m beginning to think it’s this pill. Beware!"

Super Suspicious (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been taking this BC for 2 months. Horrible mood swings and depression since week 1. Definitely looking for a new BC."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I took Viorele for approximately 2 years. It worked great for clearing up my cystic acne and it did it’s job in preventing pregnancy; however, I’ve noticed the following for the past 2 years: -NO desire to be intimate/NO sex drive. This has hurt my relationship as I now have sex with my fiancé only once a month, if that! -UNRULY CRAVINGS which led to 25 lb. weight gain. Currently medically diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder -moody, irritable, and short tempered demeanor -increase in anxiety and depression The only reason I continued to take Viorele was because it was completely free with my insurance but it’s clearly not worth it. In my opinion, you should definitely consider another BC pill/method!"

NicoleVirgo (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2017

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control for 4 months and LOVED it. I’ve been through quite a few pills. It cleared my skin completely (I am prone to acne) and made my periods lighter and PMS was so better easier with fewer mood swings that were not even half as bad as they were before I started taking Viorele. I also went up two full cup sizes which was wonderful for me. Then all of a sudden, I started getting unbelievably painful pounding headaches. I was walking around work squeezing my head (since OTC pain meds didn’t help) and saying something is wrong with me. I was so scared. However, the only new change I had made in my life was this pill. So I stopped it. After about 10 more days of horrible debilitating headaches, they finally stopped."

TryingToBeHappy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2017

For Birth Control "I was switched from Azurette to Viorele by my pharmacy. Took Viorele for almost 3 months because I got 3 packs at a time. It gave me frequent headaches that I didn't experience on the azurette even though they are supposed to be the same. The biggest issue is I thought I had a UTI because it made me have to pee ALL the time. I had no other changes in my life except the pill so after going to the doctor and getting checked for UTI and it being negative I have switched back. My boobs were always sore but it made them look bigger so I didn't mind too much. If you have already big boobs though this might be a problem. Skin looks great on both pills. Period is light but cramps can be horrible sometimes."

aryah December 6, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on Viorele for over 2 years, and I do not have problems with it at all. No pregnancies, light menstruation and no cramping. No problems with moods swings at all!!!"

Tee86 November 13, 2017

For Birth Control "This drug is the absolute worst. Severe mood swings, depression, anxiety, constant gastrointestinal issues, zero sex drive, and the list goes on. Initially I️ thought there was something wrong with me, but then realized that my timeline of severe symptoms matched the timeframe of being on this awful pill. I️ stopped taking it about two months ago and haven’t turned back. Knowing how extreme the depression is, I️ encourage everyone to talk openly about these side effects and encourage anyone who is on this pill and is feeling a little off to make the switch to something else immediately."

KateB17 November 12, 2017

For Birth Control "I’ve really liked this BC. I haven’t had any weight gain or mood swings. The few things I have experienced is trouble wearing contacts, darkening of facial skin, and a little more acne around chin. Other than that can’t complain. Doctors would like me to switch from this BC to and IUD or implant due to the fact I’m on Lamotrigine. I’m pretty nervous about that."

Jayne42080 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 1, 2017

For Birth Control "This is the worst birth control I've ever taken. I have been on it for a few months now and it's making me miserable. Depression, constant aches and pains, bloating, decrease in sex drive, and yeast infections are most of my symptoms. Do not take this. I am going to quit taking birth control all together if I cannot replace this one because I would rather have awful periods than deal with all of these side effects."

haleyc (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

For Birth Control "This is the only bc that I have been able to tolerate since I had my first child over 10 years ago. I had no problems prior to pregnancy. I had a hard time after my 2nd child. No period, thyroiditis, mood swings, depression...yuck! I have evened out now. I did have headaches, nausea, breast tenderness and mood swings in the beginning. Currently on the 5th mo. I do suffer from insomnia but often wonder if Viorele is making it worse. I had many other symptoms that were way worse than starting on Viorele. It's calmed me and fatigue is trying to leave. My bowels are effected during the yellow pills and first few days of a new pack. Meds effect everyone differently. I was about out of options, glad the side effects are diminishing."

not that bad (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

For Birth Control "I was switched to Viorele from Azurette about 3-4 months ago. Azurette was amazing. Light periods, no cramps, no acne, no mood swings, no weight gain and did not mess with my Libido what so ever . It worked with my body perfectly. Since I've been put on Viorele, I've had the WORST mood swings, and bad depression. My boyfriend has even noticed that I never want to do anything anymore and am on the verge of crying/ having anger episodes. I have not been myself since I've been on Viorelle. I was on my period for literally the first 2 months of taking it. I also have had NO sex drive. Which is also affecting my relationship. I know different medications effect differently to each person, but I wanted to share mine with this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

For Birth Control "My daughter was switched from Azurette (no side effects) to Viorelle, by the pharmacy. She's miserable. Periods are still unstable, the breakouts have stopped but thats the only plus! Her periods last forever, she's always exhausted, looks like a zombie half the time, got sick with a cough and took a month to kick it, has NO energy, NO strength, gaining weight, Horrible headaches and period cramps. After reading the other problems ladies have had with this pill she will be STOPPING IT! Thanks ladies for coming on here to tell your stories!"

Barely Functioning Zombie October 5, 2017

For Birth Control "Took viorele for 2 months and I had to stop. Started taking the pill when my period started and my period went on for 4 weeks (medium bleeding). I also got nauseous after taking the first pack. Nausea and long bleedings stopped with the second pack. However, with the second pack I was very moody, I had this uncontrollable anger and being so angry made me cry so much. Planning to switch to a lower dose pill. Being off the pill for 2 weeks, I can feel the difference. Even my boyfriend notices. I feel like I am no longer angry and moody all the time."

First time user (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

For Birth Control "I've been on viorele for the past year and a half. At first, it was great! It got rid of my cramps, it regulated my period, and it worked in respects to preventing pregnancy, but for the past 6 months, I experienced a severe decrease in my libido, almost it was nonexistent. When I did want to have sex, I experienced severe pain, which I didn't experience prior. I was agitated and my anxiety and depression were worse. I'm now looking for a different birth control."

sadperson (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2017

For Birth Control "Pharmacy switched my pill from Azurette to Viorele and that was a big mistake! I was very emotional and depressed with severe anxiety. My appetite was low. I felt like crying everyday. Never again!"

noey7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2017

For Birth Control "I took Viorele for a single month. I have experienced the worst acne I've had in YEARS, my depression has gotten significantly worse, my blood pressure (which is usually spot on perfect) is frequently high, and my mood swings are horrible."

HeatherP19 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

For Birth Control "Kariva and Viorele are LITERALLY the same thing people."

duhhh (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2017

For Birth Control "I'm going into my fourth month taking Viorele, and I'm surprised at how well my body has reacted to this BC. I was on Lo Loestrin Fe (for about 6 Mo.) & Gildess Fe (about two years) prior to switching to Viorele. I haven't had any migraines, mood swings, or breakouts since starting the pill. I usually have all those symptoms when starting something new. Also, my period cramping, bloating, and pain has significantly decreased with the help of this pill. It also helped clear up my cystic acne, and my weight has remained stable. The only negative about Viorele for me was the extreme tenderness and soreness in my breasts. My breasts are the most painful upon waking up in the morning, but then the feeling somewhat subsides. I'm pretty happy."

Mónica Z. July 26, 2017

For Birth Control "I really don't understand the negativity this birth control has. I started this in July 2016 and have had pretty much a standard experience in terms of taking bc. This isn't the first bc I've been on, but it's definitely the best. I suffer from PMDD so this bc is a life-saver. No longer am I on the floor in crippling pain, unable to move and/or walk. My periods are a lot lighter, as is the cramps/back&breast aches associated with it. & I don't understand 'this birth control made me gain weight!' It's been proven that birth control isn't the cause of weight gain. I'm still the size I've always been. I did, however, gain two cup sizes but shopping for cute bras is okay with me. It does it's job; unprotected sex with the fiance & not preggo."

Nikkkkaa (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2017

For Birth Control "This birth control changed my life. I suffered through menstrual migraines and headaches for years, for 3 weeks out of the month I had a headache almost every single day. I started this pill in October 2015 and have had THREE headaches. Amazing"

9056 January 15, 2017

For Birth Control "My doc prescribed this for endometriosis. I've tried other bc pills and right away they either made me depressed, nauseated, made my period last for weeks, gain weight, breasts ballooned up and were painful, cramps every day, acne, pretty much every awful side effect you can think of. But thankfully NOT on this pill. There has been zero side effects. Maybe for the first week I experienced mood swings at the same time at night when I took the pill but it didn't last if that was related to it. I only gave it 9 out of 10 because I've just started the second month and I'm keeping an open mind in case things were to change. But I'm so thrilled with it so far and I hope it holds up!"

Ames123 November 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been taking Viorele for a little over two years. I started out with a prescription for Kariva but CVS gave me the generic version which is Viorele. I was really impressed at first because my face was very clear and my horrible cramps and back aches from my period went away. After a few months I gained 20 pounds and 2 cup sizes and became very depressed and anxious. I did not know that Viorele was the cause of this until I went to my doctor. I just switched to a different birth control and I am waiting to see if there is a difference. Overall this was great for acne and cramping but the depression and weight gain was not worth it."

running247girl November 17, 2016

For Birth Control "So, I took this birth control for 3 years. Did it's job in terms of preventing pregnancy, but at a horrible cost. I gained over 30 lbs, had terrible nausea, mood swings, anxiety, depression, headaches, almost NO libido, you name it. It wasn't until I got off the pill completely to give myself a break from the constant stream of hormones that is birth control that I realized all of the issues I was experiencing was all the pill, not me. After 2 months off of the pill, all of the aforementioned issues have disappeared. CONSUMER BEWARE. Not worth it. When I do decide to go back on birth control, it will NOT be Viorele."

Gigiii (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2016

More about Viorele (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol)

Other brands: Apri, Reclipsen, Mircette, Azurette, ... +16 more