User Reviews for Cyclosporine ophthalmic to treat Dry Eye Disease

Also known as: Restasis, Cequa

Cyclosporine ophthalmic has an average rating of 4.3 out of 10 from a total of 171 ratings for the treatment of Dry Eye Disease. 25% of those users who reviewed Cyclosporine ophthalmic reported a positive effect, while 54% reported a negative effect.

Cyclosporine ophthalmic Rating Summary

4.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Dry Eye Disease.

15% 25
9% 15
39% 66

Reviews for Cyclosporine ophthalmic

Elen · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2021

Cequa (cyclosporine): “I was prescribed this medication by my eye doctor and after few days of use I had severe skin burns on eye lids and it cause blurred vision that incapacitated me from doing anything for couple of weeks. After treated with steroid medication I was able to recover But when I called costumer service of the company, their representatives where rude and sent me on the loop which give me no support and no refund for 3 months worth of product I can’t use. Worse costumer service I’ve ever encountered. I’ll never use this company ever again.”

Lor · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 21, 2021

Restasis (cyclosporine): “Multidose Restasis bottle sucks!!! I am dependent on Restasis for severe dry eye & uveitis prevention. My insurance dropped coverage of the vials which I used successfully for many years. Now I am likely to suffer rebound iritis when I run out of med before insurance will cover a refill. Have emailed the company but based on others' comments I doubt they have a solution to improve their poor bottle design.”

RetiredRN · Taken for 10 years or more January 19, 2021

Restasis (cyclosporine): “The mulitdose vial is a disaster as it fails to consistently deliver a drop no matter what I do. The medication appears to be too thick or the hole too small. My copay is $125 for 3 bottles, what a waste. I used the single dose vials for 12 years with excellent results, but my ophthalmologist retired & the new doctor prescribed the multiple dose. I will try and get a new rx for the single dose vials if still available. The manufacturer needs to return to the drawing board on the design of the multiple dose bottle. Hopefully they will do a roll out with a lot of advertising when this occurs so I may try again. I have never tried the competitors product, but now might be a good time.”

Trixie · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2021

Restasis (cyclosporine): “I started Restasis two weeks ago. The more I use it the more my eyes burn. I do not feel this medicine is helpful. I read the reviews below and see that most have bad experiences with this medicine, either method. My doctor had to cancel my appointment. I'll call tomorrow and see if she has a better suggestion. I want to mention the eye pads that gave good relief. Shaped to fit over the eyes and strap around the head, heat about 20 seconds in the microwave and place over the eyes a few seconds. It is comfortable and my eyes feel clearer and better after that. I will not be using Restasis again. I will probably go back to using Refresh.”

Dryeyegirl December 20, 2020

Cequa (cyclosporine): “I was on Restasis for over 10 years which allowed me to manage my dry eye syndrome. Once I went through menopause it was like my whole system changed and the Restasis no longer worked. I then tried Xiidra for maybe a year or so which also did not work. I was just getting ready to start the autologous tears, and my eye doctor said a new drug had been FDA approved a week before and to give that a try. I have been on Cequa ever since and my dry eyes have been the best they have been for many years. I am extremely happy with it. I have no burning, I get multiple drops out of each vial. I hated Xiidra because it left an oily film, I guess, on my eyes and affected my vision and also left a very strange metallic taste in my mouth. I have severe dry eye syndrome. At one point I had an attack that was so bad I lay on my bed and screamed for 24 hours. So, I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I am for Cequa. I also use an external spray on my eyes twice a day.”

Suzanne December 18, 2020

Cequa (cyclosporine): “I used Xiidra for 8 months with no noticeable results other than it drained my bank account. Cequa was just recommended but after reading nothing but negative results, I’m not going to spend $600 a month for 2 drops a day for 6 months to see if it helps. Thanks for the comments!”

Rosa · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine): “My eye doctor prescribed Restisis for my severe dry eyes due to Sjogrens disease. I share the opinion that the multi use container is a disaster, the rigid bottle either delivers no drops at all or too much which leaks out of your eyes onto your face. After only two weeks use the bottle feels almost empty, very distressing given the high cost of this product.”

Servivur October 19, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine): “The new multi dose bottles are horrid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dry eyes due to Sjogrens was under control finally after using the vials for a few years! I am now back to the painful dry eyes, which has also exacerbated my macular degeneration! I am angry about this change that is advancing the loss of my eye sight! To my knowledge there is no way to have the dr increase the prescription. If anyone else has any experience like this please let me know.”

Summer · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2020

Cequa (cyclosporine): “Just started using Cequa about 1 week ago. My doctor told me to expect burning which I have, especially at night. I had begun to notice less or no burning in the morning which did not surprise me. I thought my eyes were closed and less subject to drying. I also noticed the closer I kept to the 12 hours between drops the less burning, tearing and running nose I experienced. Also I have noticed every application I have a slight headache over my left eye. Nothing really painful and doesn’t last very long....maybe 15 minutes. After the burning and excessive tearing stops, my vision is very comfortable all day. There is more burning at night but again I think that is from my eyes being open and more subject to drying. I have to say I don’t like putting something in my eyes that make them burn and water. I have samples to try so the vote is still out on long term use.”

RHGirl · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2020

Cequa (cyclosporine): “Used Restasis but MD didn't see remarkable difference, so recommended Cequa. Could not tolerate drug at all. Immediate pain upon putting eye drops in, extreme redness and burning. Received coupon for one month supply so there were no out of pocket expenses. Never went through the insurance process to see if drug would have been covered.”

Liz August 22, 2020

Cequa (cyclosporine): “I started Cequa for dry eyes and it seems to help tremendously but I am noticing vision changes where it’s hard to see up close and at night. I never had an issue before. I’m going to stop the drops and tell my Opthamologist.”

Vee · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2020

Cequa (cyclosporine): “My eyes stings using Cequa. I have not been consistent using it because of the stings. I think I’m going to stop using it.”

sambomaster · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2020

“I only used this for two days and stopped. My doctor gave samples to me and told me to try them out. After only two days my eyes felt terrible. Burning lasted the whole day for me and my vision is now blurry. Eyes also feel even drier...it's like I took 1 step forward 10 steps back. I'm not using this anymore. My eyes feel terrible.. I will be sticking to just artificial tears for now.”

nickname · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

Cequa (cyclosporine): “After 3 days of using Cequa my left eye got infected.”

Gravester · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine): “My eyes were so dry I had to pry them open every hour and douse with eye drops trying to sleep. With restasis, I can usually sleep all night now, or only find my eyes are stuck upon awakening in the morning. I also have Graves’ disease, so these dry eyes may be related to that, but for now I find great relief with these drops. I have no side effects, just very slight burning it’s not bothersome at all. I was scared to try them at first, so I only did one eye. Guess which one got better...the one I used restasis on. I’m so glad my insurance is willing to cover them and the copay is $40”

Tee March 4, 2020

Cequa (cyclosporine): “I was given Cequa to use after I stopped using Restasis because it burned/stung everytime I used it. I don't really see any difference. The Cequa stings and causes my eyes to water all night long, making my nose run as well. Lately my vision seems to have gotten really blurry, and I am wondering if this is some reaction to the Cequa. My eye doctor told me to stop using it for now.”

Very Unhappy New Bottle User · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 20, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine): “I have used single dose Restasis vials for over 6 years and have been pleased with this product. I just started using the new multi dose bottle. This design is a disaster. I am very careful using it but I wind up getting many drops on my cheek and excessively large drops in my eyes. I suspect Allergan changed the design because users were using the single vials for two daily doses instead of just one. I would suggest Allergan not pin its hopes on the new multi dose bottle unless they improve the design of this bottle. I will request the single use vials as long as they are available. In the meantime I will be researching other medications. I may just discontinue this medication entirely and rely on artificial tears.”

jessi · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 31, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine): “Have been using Restasis in the vial form for a couple of years. Have had no side effects, no problem putting this vial form in my eyes. I was coming to the end of this prescription. I have a new ophthalmologist and was ordered the Restasis multi dose. This bottle form did not work for me. Could not get the drops to squeeze out and when the drops did squeeze out, it was too late, I already moved the bottle away from my eye and it dropped on my face, therefore was a wasted expensive drop. Sometimes I would squeeze the bottle and the bottle would stay formed in the squeeze position. The bottle just did not work for me. So I’ve had my ophthalmologist prescribe the vial form. I have not gotten these yet but I know they will work much better.”

Anonymous January 28, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine): “My mom has been using Restasis for over 12 years. She is now 104 and found out it would cost her $275 for a one month supply. I do not even think it helps her.....I use over the counter eye drops Genteal on her often and they help more and much much more affordable. If you are not a wealthy person, try those.”

PJ January 18, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine): “Made my eyes, and especially my eyelids, way more irritated and very uncomfortable.”

Click January 6, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine): “I was prescribed restasis along with the steroid drop by my eye doctor for severe dry eye. This medication was really rough on my eyes. It did not burn the inside of my eyes per se, but did burn around the eyelids leaving a dark mark as if my eye is charred, swelling redness, excessive watering, and a high mucus buildup. It still looks as if I have a black eye on my right eye. It had no benefit whatsoever and the doctor stopped it after about 3 weeks of treatment because of the bad side effects just started Xiidra today the reviews on it's page are just as bad as the reviews on this page for restasis. I'm not feeling very hopeful.”

MP · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2020

Cequa (cyclosporine): “I used Xiidra for 3 years and had excellent results until I became allergic to it. Cequa has just come out and I have been on it one month. I do not have any pain with use, vials are easy to use. The medication is not costing me a lot of money, just 30 a month. The bad news is that it does not work as well as Xiidra. My eye doc likes what she is seeing as she thinks it will be a good drug for me but I still have dry eye symptoms. I am hoping these will ease up the longer I use the drug.”

Barb · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine): “My eyes are so sensitive using Restasis for dry eye that I have to cover my eyes with my hands and use sunglasses at all times or I can’t go outside. The pain is nearly extreme every time I use it so I’m going to stop. I don’t care how expensive it was! I have the bottle and they said it was expensive. I just can’t use it anymore without so much pain and sensitivity to light. It was prescribed after surgery with my Salzman‘s disease which is nodules on the cornea from nerve damage. I can see fine without the Restasis but not well with it ...so I will use an eyedrop that is meant for dry eye instead: vials of Refresh because those work very well and they’re not loaded with preservatives. Enough for a month is $15 and you can use a vile three or four times each.”

Dinkie December 16, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine): “When I was first diagnosed with dry eye syndrome (DES) doc prescribed restasis worked beautifully that is until it stopped working. Now what? Had all four tear ducts burnt shut didn’t help I’m beyond help so I suffer anyway restasis helped my DES for five years wish they would come out with a more powerful formula for people like me who has tried everything and beyond please restasis get in that lab and come out with a drop to help people with severe DES”

RC · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine): “Very effective for me, but must be used for at least 4 months to have any chance. Came close to stopping after 3 months. Works by suppressing the immune response to what the body perceives as an attack on the surface of the eye from dry eye. I get it in Canada and US, so not true that only US approves for dry eye. I do reuse the individual vials and get about 3-4 doses per. My cost in either country, with the card, is about $80 per month.”

Learn more about Dry Eye Disease