User Reviews for Cyclosporine ophthalmic

Dry Eye Disease
4.2

Reviews for Cyclosporine ophthalmic

Ali · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2021

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I developed bizarre seizures from this medication. Any intense emotion, such as laughing or enjoying food or getting angry would result in a "hiccup" of sorts where I would my head would reset and I would feel nothing. Felt similar to a brain-zap from psychiatric med withdrawal but even worse. And yes, this also impacted sexual function. Imagine not being able to enjoy anything or feel any significant emotion in any way. This particular side effect continued for about 4 months after stopping the medication. I was terrified it wouldn't, and made me suicidal. Oh, and there was no relief from dry eye, either.”

Do not take Restasis · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2021

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I was diagnosed with dry eye disease and MGD. My doc prescribed it and said it would take 3 months to kick in. I took it for almost 3 months and it made my eyes drier than they were before! I stopped taking it. Then my eye lids got really bad. Very swollen and caused by eyes to burn for weeks. It also made my MGD worse! My eyes started to feel better a few months later and still have some side effects of it today, but I wanted to let you know NOT TO TAKE THIS! Just keep up on the artificial tears and start watching your diet! Watch your sugar and coffee and take more vitamin D and B vitamins.”

LS · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2021

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I’ve been using Restasis for about a week and it has made a tremendous difference. Eyes are not nearly as dry and itchy as before. It stings a bit just after you put in the drops but goes away quickly. Very happy!”

Melg · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 5, 2021

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I was hoping to find better information here. I’ve been using this for 2+ years routinely, with absolutely no positive experience. When first stated using, all symptoms immediately become worse, which I wrote off as get going accustomed to a new medication. However, once we got past the original introductory phase, I expected to find, at least, moderate improvement. Not the case - absolutely no improvement. Does anyone have another option? I feel like I’ve tried everything, bit my eyes only continue to get worse regardless of all the effort to improve.”

Very Unhappy New Bottle User · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 20, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I have used single dose Restasis vials for over 6 years and have been pleased with this product. I just started using the new multi dose bottle. This design is a disaster. I am very careful using it but I wind up getting many drops on my cheek and excessively large drops in my eyes. I suspect Allergan changed the design because users were using the single vials for two daily doses instead of just one. I would suggest Allergan not pin its hopes on the new multi dose bottle unless they improve the design of this bottle. I will request the single use vials as long as they are available. In the meantime I will be researching other medications. I may just discontinue this medication entirely and rely on artificial tears.”

Elle · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “My doctor prescribed Restasis as part of a treatment plan for my chronic dry eye, which has caused some damage to my cornea and also deterioration of my vision. I used it twice a day but had to discontinue after 3 weeks because of severe side effects. These included pain, discomfort, feeling of a foreign object and increased sensitivity to light. In other words, it caused an increase in the symptoms it was supposed to treat! The day I stopped using the drops, the side effects diminished, and the day after they disappeared. I was happy to be back to the condition I had had previously. That's the only positive effect of Restasis - realizing how much better you feel NOT using it. I can't imagine for the life of me why this product is on the market and is being prescribed by physicians.”

Frustrated June 19, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I read the studies & user reviews and I wonder are doctors getting kick backs from Allergan?! Week 2 of Restasis use my eye is dryer, stings/aches throughout the day, and the dryness and feeling of foreign object in my eye is so bad it wakes me at night. What drug worsens your condition before it gets better and takes months before benefit can be seen? Will I even experience positive effects of the drug or just return to baseline or habituate to this useless drug? Restasis is only approved in the US. Foreign drug administrations don’t consider 15% user improvement as enough to justify it with it bad side effects as a treatment for chronic dry eye or MGD. I expressed all of these concerns to my doc and she says stick with it and now take a steroid eye gel to to help the eyes tolerate the Restasis! I honestly hope that in a few weeks I will have to eat my words but as of this moment based on my own experience, user reviews, limited empirical data in support of this medication’s efficacy I am far from optimistic.”

No name · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “After reading the many reviews that sound really similar to my negative experience, I felt like I needed to enter my own review. My opthamologist prescribed Restasis for my extreme dry eye saying that it could take up to 4 months to start having a positive effect. First, I was shocked at the copay expense of about $500 for a 3 month supply of the daily single dose drops. After six months I told my doctor that I didn't feel any improvement from the drops. She flippantly said to stop taking them then & come back in a year. It made me think that perhaps there was a kick back that had already been paid.”

Maxie · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 7, 2021

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I have been using Restasis for 2.5 years. Yes it burned at first for the first month but it got so much better after that. About 2 months ago I noticed that the drops were not as effective as they once were. Went to an ophthalmologist and he prescribed me a steroid for 2 weeks —that helped tremendously, but then after that to use cequa. A higher dose of the active ingredient in restasis. My eyes burned so bad. Much worse than they ever did. I went back to restasis, burning continued. Worse than I’ve ever had. I want to rip my eyes out. So I haven’t used anything in a couple weeks but the thera tears and I’m better but not 100%. The dr has suspected Sjögren’s syndrome but they don’t know for sure if that’s my problem.”

Jimbo · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I have dry eyes so I was prescribed the Restatasis one week ago. I was told it would take months to really kick in to be effective. The Restatasis caused the side effects of my eyes got bloodshot, teared for no reason and overall a general discomfort. I stopped them today and went back to Systane Ultra and my eyes feel so much better. When it comes to my eyes I'm not messing around with something for months to see if it even works. I do not recommend this drug.”

RC · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “Very effective for me, but must be used for at least 4 months to have any chance. Came close to stopping after 3 months. Works by suppressing the immune response to what the body perceives as an attack on the surface of the eye from dry eye. I get it in Canada and US, so not true that only US approves for dry eye. I do reuse the individual vials and get about 3-4 doses per. My cost in either country, with the card, is about $80 per month.”

SherylR · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I was prescribed this Restasis for dry eye and cataract surgery. Over time (3+mos), my eyes were inflamed, irritated and painful. It also felt like something was poking my eyeball under my eyelid. I wanted to rip out my eyeballs. I stopped the drops and within 2 days, symptoms are almost gone. Eyes feel almost normal. I'll stick to OTC dry eye drops. I used the single use vials. (use a discount card off their website)”

jessi · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 31, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “Have been using Restasis in the vial form for a couple of years. Have had no side effects, no problem putting this vial form in my eyes. I was coming to the end of this prescription. I have a new ophthalmologist and was ordered the Restasis multi dose. This bottle form did not work for me. Could not get the drops to squeeze out and when the drops did squeeze out, it was too late, I already moved the bottle away from my eye and it dropped on my face, therefore was a wasted expensive drop. Sometimes I would squeeze the bottle and the bottle would stay formed in the squeeze position. The bottle just did not work for me. So I’ve had my ophthalmologist prescribe the vial form. I have not gotten these yet but I know they will work much better.”

Ted · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 21, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “My doctor botched my multifocal cataract surgery and convinced me that I have dry eye. Recommended Restasis 4.5 years ago - I have seen no improvement - what a ripoff for what should have been a very simple operation. My eyes were done in Rochester, NY and he was a real con artist.”

Bemopan · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2015

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I used Restasis for extreme dry eyes. After 2 years and no relief I gave up. Restasis didn't do a thing! I now use Retaine available on line or at pharmacy. It's new...and works great! No prescription needed...and only about $20 for 30 containers. Use just like Restasis.”

Gravester · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “My eyes were so dry I had to pry them open every hour and douse with eye drops trying to sleep. With restasis, I can usually sleep all night now, or only find my eyes are stuck upon awakening in the morning. I also have Graves’ disease, so these dry eyes may be related to that, but for now I find great relief with these drops. I have no side effects, just very slight burning it’s not bothersome at all. I was scared to try them at first, so I only did one eye. Guess which one got better...the one I used restasis on. I’m so glad my insurance is willing to cover them and the copay is $40”

Birdwatcher · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 28, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I've been using Restasis for about a year. My doctor said there is some improvement with my vision, but I still have side effects. I have arthritic hands and squeezing either the single dose or multidose versions is extremely difficult, but the multidose is slightly easier. I even called the company about it. My way around getting the multidose bottle to work better involves taking a sterile syringe needle (ask your doctor) and enlarging the dropper hole. Each bottle barely lasts a month. Now I learned that the multidose bottle is not available, just the singles. No drug store or prescription service has it currently. My doctor also said that a generic version is about to be released in much larger bottles. As for the side effects, my eyes continue to burn and my sinus problems have escalated to a point that I may stop using the medication and go back to using liquid tears 24/7.”

Faithnh November 26, 2016

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “Yes, it burns. Get over it. This is the only medication that's an actual SOLUTION, and not just a bandaid on the problem like lubricants. You will suffer for a month, get used to it because it's worth it. Restasis works, if you'd rather complain and not find a solution than go through a month uncomfortable I am speechless. You can not use inflammatory eye drops, it negates restasis. Be prepared for no makeup, and to look bloodshot for a bit. After a cpl months I'm loving the effect Restasis has had on my eyes. Pro-tip: Stick vials in the fridge, when you put a couple drops in each eye place the topper back on. ONE vial will last 3-4 days, that's putting 2 drops in each eye 2x a day. Recommended is 2 vials a day, bullshit.”

Rosa · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “My eye doctor prescribed Restisis for my severe dry eyes due to Sjogrens disease. I share the opinion that the multi use container is a disaster, the rigid bottle either delivers no drops at all or too much which leaks out of your eyes onto your face. After only two weeks use the bottle feels almost empty, very distressing given the high cost of this product.”

MP · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2020

Cequa (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I used Xiidra for 3 years and had excellent results until I became allergic to it. Cequa has just come out and I have been on it one month. I do not have any pain with use, vials are easy to use. The medication is not costing me a lot of money, just 30 a month. The bad news is that it does not work as well as Xiidra. My eye doc likes what she is seeing as she thinks it will be a good drug for me but I still have dry eye symptoms. I am hoping these will ease up the longer I use the drug.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2012

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I have been using Restasis for months combined with Azasite. I have been very pleased with the relief it has given my eyes after decades of dealing with painfully dry eyes. I am lucky to have great insurance. The drops are extremely expensive without insurance or good coverage.”

Anonymous January 28, 2020

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “My mom has been using Restasis for over 12 years. She is now 104 and found out it would cost her $275 for a one month supply. I do not even think it helps her.....I use over the counter eye drops Genteal on her often and they help more and much much more affordable. If you are not a wealthy person, try those.”

Pa · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “OMG. $457.00 paid for initial script of Restasis multi dose after insurance. $40.00 for each month there after. The bottle is a disaster. Almost impossible to squeeze the drop out. It takes 30 seconds minimum and a great deal of pressure has to be used. Sometimes nothing and other times too much. Wasteful to say the least. How can Allergan charge this much money for something with an extreme design flaw. I really want this to work but I don’t see the vial lasting 30 days. Is the company going to help? Or answer the complaints?”

Summer · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2020

Cequa (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “Just started using Cequa about 1 week ago. My doctor told me to expect burning which I have, especially at night. I had begun to notice less or no burning in the morning which did not surprise me. I thought my eyes were closed and less subject to drying. I also noticed the closer I kept to the 12 hours between drops the less burning, tearing and running nose I experienced. Also I have noticed every application I have a slight headache over my left eye. Nothing really painful and doesn’t last very long....maybe 15 minutes. After the burning and excessive tearing stops, my vision is very comfortable all day. There is more burning at night but again I think that is from my eyes being open and more subject to drying. I have to say I don’t like putting something in my eyes that make them burn and water. I have samples to try so the vote is still out on long term use.”

RHGirl · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2020

Cequa (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “Used Restasis but MD didn't see remarkable difference, so recommended Cequa. Could not tolerate drug at all. Immediate pain upon putting eye drops in, extreme redness and burning. Received coupon for one month supply so there were no out of pocket expenses. Never went through the insurance process to see if drug would have been covered.”

Wolfgirl · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 16, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I used Restasis with great results for over 8 years. Last week it stopped working and my eyes started hurting worse than ever. Not sure if perhaps pharmacy or the manufacturer sold a contaminated or defective drops. Anyway I went to see my doctor and he suggested I stop Restasis and prescribed something new. Will let you know if they work after a day or two.”

Barb · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2019

Restasis (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “My eyes are so sensitive using Restasis for dry eye that I have to cover my eyes with my hands and use sunglasses at all times or I can’t go outside. The pain is nearly extreme every time I use it so I’m going to stop. I don’t care how expensive it was! I have the bottle and they said it was expensive. I just can’t use it anymore without so much pain and sensitivity to light. It was prescribed after surgery with my Salzman‘s disease which is nodules on the cornea from nerve damage. I can see fine without the Restasis but not well with it ...so I will use an eyedrop that is meant for dry eye instead: vials of Refresh because those work very well and they’re not loaded with preservatives. Enough for a month is $15 and you can use a vile three or four times each.”

Elen · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2021

Cequa (cyclosporine) for Dry Eye Disease: “I was prescribed this medication by my eye doctor and after few days of use I had severe skin burns on eye lids and it cause blurred vision that incapacitated me from doing anything for couple of weeks. After treated with steroid medication I was able to recover But when I called costumer service of the company, their representatives where rude and sent me on the loop which give me no support and no refund for 3 months worth of product I can’t use. Worse costumer service I’ve ever encountered. I’ll never use this company ever again.”