User Reviews for Anafranil to treat Depression

Anafranil has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 78% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Anafranil Rating Summary

7.9/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

alon22 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 6, 2013

“After 6 years with very strong depression that nothing helps, this medicine saved my life. It takes more then a month to kick in and it continues to grow for full year but after you use it you fill strong and don't think about depression anymore. If you have resistant depression you must try this. It's a totally different class than the rest. I also tried all the natural 5HTP, St. John's Wort and the rest and nothing helped.”

Gegernye · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 3, 2021

“I had tried escilatopram (Scippa) and vortioxetine (Trintellix) before, practically both were ineffective. Anafranil has been a miracle for me, within a month it reduced my severe suffering very effectively, and made me much better for 90% of my time. And it was reached quickly with very small dosage: 20 mg a day. Minor side effects occurred during the first couple of weeks, the most unpleasant was the dry mouth and reduced libido, but it bounced back within weaks.”

Cheesus July 13, 2016

“I've been taking this medication for major depression for 14 years now. 17 years ago I was given big doses of steroids due to problems resulting from back surgery. Those high doses of steroids pushed me into major depression. After 3 1/2 years of trying to find a medication that worked for me, I was prescribed Anafranil. Within two days I was seeing positive results. Within a year of taking Anafranil I was free of depression. I've been taking Anafranil ever since - somewhat afraid to stop. There are many side effects - that I often get tired of - but they pale compared to the relief I received from this medication. It is the most serotonergic of the tricyclics and I feel should be more widely tried for major depression.”

Betty · Taken for 10 years or more July 31, 2018

“I have been using Anafranil (clomipramine) for more than 10 years. It has done wonders. I only take 25mg, but that is enough for my OCD. I can take more if I want but don't want any side effects. Anafranil did what no other antidepressant could do. It is an older drug but for me it's better.”

Man U Fan · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 10, 2017

“Was on Effexor, Seroquel and Prothiaden but could not shift the constant thoughts of killing myself. Driving became a night mare, just leaving the house was impossible as my thoughts kept telling me to walk in front of a bus etc etc. Anafranil literally saved my life and gave me back the wish to live. Most effective drug I have ever used and gradual withdrawal worked really well. Thoughts not completely gone but no pressure anymore, they just drive on by.”

Push91 September 14, 2017

“I got prescribed Anafranil after not impressive effects of tritico and zoloft, and yeah, it worked for a few months, but I had to up my dosage every now and then. However after around 4 months of taking it, it stopped working, I capped the dosage, and had to switch therapists, as the former had no idea what to do with severe depression. However what I'd like to share is the withdrawal part. In the time I was off it, it was really bad, imagine being constantly drunk. You can not focus, your view is shifting, everything seems to be floating, also like a lagging game, it feels as the visual part comes later than the audio. Really weird, so if you are on it or planning to try, ask your doctor for a way to take it out gradually.”

cier · Taken for 10 years or more January 26, 2019

“This excellent for depression, but use of the established big names such as NOVARTIS or CIBA GEIGY. I found the anafranil from ALFASIGMA in Milan, Italy not good and believe that this brand has INFERIOR pills.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2018

“I was prescribed Anafranil for depression after having a stillborn baby. It was given to me intravenously and during one treatment I had a fit which caused my shoulder to dislocate. Following this I was prescribed a smaller dose in tablet form which made no difference to my depression. Not long after I had another fit which again resulted in a dislocated shoulder! Following this second incident I stopped taking the drug. All in all my shoulder dislocated 14 times due to damage caused by this drug until it was finally operated on but I never gained full use of the arm and still experience pain at times. I felt my personality had changed and I was unable to function and finally got better by talking to a very understanding psychologist . I still have episodes of depression but have learned to cope with them with determination and the help of relatives and friend. Needless to say I was not impressed with Anafranil in my case.”

JW 84020 September 3, 2014

“This medicine has minimal side effects. It makes me less sad or reduces obsessive worry. It lowers my anxiety. It also helps with digestion regularity.”