User Reviews for Celecoxib to treat Osteoarthritis

Also known as: Celebrex, Elyxyb

Celecoxib Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Celecoxib

Jeff · Taken for 10 years or more June 23, 2020

Celebrex (celecoxib): “I have been taking Celebrex for osteo for about 25 years. I was taking up to 400mg a day for the last 15 years. If I wasn’t I would not have been able to work. The only side effects I have noticed are heartburn and a rash that may be from Celebrex. I have had two total knee replacements and an operation on an elbow for osteo. I have osteo in the lower back that they will not operate on as there is nothing they say they can do that will get rid off the pain. The doctor I’m seeing now has cut me back to 1x100mg a day and says he is taking me off it altogether. I don’t even feel like getting out of bed because of the pain. I’ll be changing doctors. It also helps a lot with pain from toothache infections.”

Mary · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 29, 2020

Celebrex (celecoxib): “This medication celebrex has been a life changer for me. I was in excruciating pain prior (osteo arthritis) and no other medication helped. This has made me be able to have a normal life.”

Sue B · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2020

Celebrex (celecoxib): “I tried Celecoxib because my gastroenterologist said to minimize my NSAIDs and not wanting to get started on opiates. I have only used it for two days and the stomach pain is horrible even with my ulcer meds. Also, heart palpitations very unsettling. Two doses and two doses too many! Very disappointed that my Rheumatologist thought it was a good idea!”

Davy Jones · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2020

Celebrex (celecoxib): “Celebrex ate a hole in my stomach. I had to take carafate for three months and eat very bland food. Baby food at first the very bland vegetables. I was passing blood clots that kept increasing in size.”

Hannibal · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 23, 2019

“Celebrex (200 mgs) worked wonders for my osteoarthritis. But after reading the Vanderbilt Study, I stopped taking the drug, and switched to naproxen, which in the Precision Study was just about as good at controlling pain. Take naproxen, however, with a small dose of famotidine for stomach protection. Remember that all NSAIDs (not aspirin) can bring about heart problems. The Vanderbilt Study added a NEW and additional troubling factor that might affect the heart.”

Saro August 17, 2019

Celebrex (celecoxib): “Celcbrex worked well. But after reading Vanderbilt Univ. study, I would NOT touch this medicine. Stick with Aleve.”

jane62 · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2019

Celebrex (celecoxib): “Taken celebrex three times now, keeps my awake, I can't sleep for over 24 hours. It is like taking speed but in a bad way. Does nothing for my pain.”

Aman June 25, 2019

Celebrex (celecoxib): “I have osteoarthritis of the right hip and I've been taking 100mg of celebrex once daily for 8 weeks. Just last week after 7 weeks on celebrex I can report that although I still limp and have some stiffness, my hip pain is significantly reduced and the only side effect I've noticed is that my blood pressure has increased to 138/87 (before celebrex my usual blood pressure was 132/84). I will continue monitoring my blood pressure and am also hopeful that Celebrex is also acting as a "joint preserving" drug as well as a pain reliever. The orthopaedic surgeon who assessed me said that there is research that suggests that although taking celebrex "will not" reverse the damage already done by osteoarthritis there is some evidence that it can significantly help "delay the progress of joint deterioration" for some people. Fingers crossed!”

Chela · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2019

Celebrex (celecoxib): “I have cervical spondylitic myelopathy, osteoarthritis, cervical and lumbar stenosis. My primary prescribed celebrex. I experienced no pain relief after a week on celebrex. Instead I experienced debilitating brain fog, dizziness, stomach pain and palpitations. I stopped taking celebrex. I would never ever recommend this drug.”

Nemo · Taken for 10 years or more October 28, 2018

Celebrex (celecoxib): “The brand is the only medication that works for me. It allows me to function during cold, rainy days without joint pain and osteoarthritis. The generic is worthless.”

Loulou · Taken for 10 years or more September 27, 2018

Celebrex (celecoxib): “I was on Vioxx, then switched to Celebrex. I took 200 mg daily for 14 years. On 7-5-16 I had a heart attack. My right ventricle was full of blood clots. I had NO plaque. I had 3 blockages, 80%, 90% and 100 % blockage. My cardiologist took me off it immediately. Celebrex DID take care of most of my pain. Taking it is not worth dying.”

Azdoug · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 3, 2018

“400 mg daily...carpel tunnel in both wrists. Diagnosed by a nerve test and I poo-pooed it. Then I ran out of celecoxib for six days. I could not use my right hand to push my self out of my recliner, typing was tough, painting my neighbors house was way more work. That is when I went to max dose. I have lived way longer than ever expected (70) and evidently I need this drug. No rash- no stomach pain. My collapsing discs and bad arthritis seem to be helped too.”

Jillyn31 · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2018

Celebrex (celecoxib): “My rheumatologist prescribed this for my osteoarthritis & told me to take it as little as possible because of the potential for kidney & liver damage. Initially, I took it 1-2x/wk but then stopped taking it for a while. Started taking it again last week & after several days, I noticed constipation, my stomach being very bloated & a burning sensation in my stomach that nothing could relieve for about 36 hrs. I thought there many have been very slight pain relief, but nothing is worth the stomach issues, so I'm not taking it anymore.”

Dawn · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2018

Celebrex (celecoxib): “I felt a difference immediately! I felt like a new woman! But by day 3 the itching started, and I was told to stop.”

scott · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2018

“I was prescribed this (celecoxib) because I have osteoarthritis in both knees, and I'm allergic to other nsaids. The first two weeks were great! I felt 10 years younger, started going back to the gym, and was able to move easily. And then 2.5 weeks in, I woke up one morning with my chest and back covered in 1/2 inch wide red spots, and yellow spots appearing on my eyelids with some swelling on the eyelids. I stopped taking it, took some Benadryl, and it took about 36 hours for the red spots to subside. Still some yellow on my eyelids.”

Edaba · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2018

“I have been taking Celecoxib for approximately two weeks now. Having osteoarthritis in my knees and feet for as long as I can remember, I can tell you I haven't felt this good in a long time. I am encouraged!”

Cathiiannii · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2017

Celebrex (celecoxib): “Worked well for pain but after a month got breathless and my heart raced at high speed. Thought I was having a heart attack.. Was given Noten to bring my heart rate back to normal. Still felt breathless.. On stopping the drug my heart and breathing slowly went back to normal. Scarey...”

emsp · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2017

Celebrex (celecoxib): “53 year old male with bad knee. I was prescribed this for my knee. With in two days of 200 mg once a day, I woke up and had joint and muscle pain in my ankles, feet, arms, wrists and elbows. In addition I had sinus pressure so bad that it hurt to touch my face. I immediately quit taking and the symptoms are receding but still there two days later.”

Suzie Babe September 10, 2017

Celebrex (celecoxib): “Have been taking for 30 yrs! Told to stop by pharmacist . Just stop? Yes ! Surviving on 6 Panadol oesteo and Lyrica . Quite draining though. No sign of internal damage. Haven't seen doctor yet. Thought I'd give it some time. Been two weeks. Anyone else had similar experience???”

63galxy · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 28, 2017

Celebrex (celecoxib): “Generally has been effective in treating osteoarthritis pain/ inflammation. For me it worked noticeably better than meloxicam. I have taken it on an as needed basis for at least 5 years and have had no appreciable side effects.”

M.Stone · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2017

Celebrex (celecoxib): “After the results of the latest 10 year study came out in late 2016 claiming the safety of the product, I decided to ask my doctor to put me on it for my Osteoarthritis. It helped immensely! I am sure my pain was decreased by at LEAST 30-40% if not more! When you're in constant pain and discomfort, that amount is a huge relief! I started just a few weeks before my hip replacement due to "bone on bone" caused by my osteoarthritis. ANY relief is welcome! I would most definitely recommend this to anyone to at least try! I use the generic brand.”

Ranch girl · Taken for 10 years or more December 11, 2016

Celebrex (celecoxib): “Celebrex allows me to go day to day almost pain free. Nothing else fights my pain caused by osteoarthritis of the upper spine. I have taken 200 mg once a day on and off for over 15 years. Occasionally I do need to take it daily for a few weeks. I am so grateful for this med and for the doctors who prescribe it. I strongly recommend it.”

using celebrex November 28, 2016

Celebrex (celecoxib): “Ive been taking celebrex for a couple of yrs, I always thought it made me too tired, about a wk ago it made me so tired I fell and hit my ribs and now I have pain in my ribs that probably won't go away for wks, I decided not to refill it and just take stuff like aleve instead, all it did was create more pain by cracking my ribs or whatever it did to it, thought people should know about this side effect especially since my doctor didnt tell me about it, then I wouldnt have hurt my ribs in vain knowing that I've helped others know this information”

1strangepuppy · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2016

Celebrex (celecoxib): “What a JOKE! Doesn't do anything unless you count the side effects! You'll only accept constructive criticism, so, avoid a gut ache added to pain, slow burning urination when you NEVER before had an issue. Doctors really need to LISTEN to patients, and stop assuming that they know more about my body than I do. This MAY work for some, or it may be a placebo effect, but for me it did nothing but add to my problems! Doctors also need to consider QUALITY of life over QUANTITY. I do NOT want to live with this pain, and if they can't or won't give me what works, then let me go. I have enough without risking a stroke too!”

PNS · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2016

Celebrex (celecoxib): “I am suffering with, swelling in right leg ankle, but however, there is no pain. I was prescribed 200 mg of this capsule, to be taken twice a day by my doctor. Took the dosage as prescribed by the doctor for two days, and noticed light-headedness, palpation and difficulty in remembering.”

Learn more about Osteoarthritis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)