User Reviews for Celebrex to treat Osteoarthritis

Celebrex Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Celebrex

Jeff · Taken for 10 years or more June 23, 2020

“I have been taking Celebrex for osteo for about 25 years. I was taking up to 400mg a day for the last 15 years. If I wasn’t I would not have been able to work. The only side effects I have noticed are heartburn and a rash that may be from Celebrex. I have had two total knee replacements and an operation on an elbow for osteo. I have osteo in the lower back that they will not operate on as there is nothing they say they can do that will get rid off the pain. The doctor I’m seeing now has cut me back to 1x100mg a day and says he is taking me off it altogether. I don’t even feel like getting out of bed because of the pain. I’ll be changing doctors. It also helps a lot with pain from toothache infections.”

Mary · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 29, 2020

“This medication celebrex has been a life changer for me. I was in excruciating pain prior (osteo arthritis) and no other medication helped. This has made me be able to have a normal life.”

Sue B · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2020

“I tried Celecoxib because my gastroenterologist said to minimize my NSAIDs and not wanting to get started on opiates. I have only used it for two days and the stomach pain is horrible even with my ulcer meds. Also, heart palpitations very unsettling. Two doses and two doses too many! Very disappointed that my Rheumatologist thought it was a good idea!”

Davy Jones · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2020

“Celebrex ate a hole in my stomach. I had to take carafate for three months and eat very bland food. Baby food at first the very bland vegetables. I was passing blood clots that kept increasing in size.”

Saro August 17, 2019

“Celcbrex worked well. But after reading Vanderbilt Univ. study, I would NOT touch this medicine. Stick with Aleve.”

jane62 · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2019

“Taken celebrex three times now, keeps my awake, I can't sleep for over 24 hours. It is like taking speed but in a bad way. Does nothing for my pain.”

Aman June 25, 2019

“I have osteoarthritis of the right hip and I've been taking 100mg of celebrex once daily for 8 weeks. Just last week after 7 weeks on celebrex I can report that although I still limp and have some stiffness, my hip pain is significantly reduced and the only side effect I've noticed is that my blood pressure has increased to 138/87 (before celebrex my usual blood pressure was 132/84). I will continue monitoring my blood pressure and am also hopeful that Celebrex is also acting as a "joint preserving" drug as well as a pain reliever. The orthopaedic surgeon who assessed me said that there is research that suggests that although taking celebrex "will not" reverse the damage already done by osteoarthritis there is some evidence that it can significantly help "delay the progress of joint deterioration" for some people. Fingers crossed!”

Chela · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2019

“I have cervical spondylitic myelopathy, osteoarthritis, cervical and lumbar stenosis. My primary prescribed celebrex. I experienced no pain relief after a week on celebrex. Instead I experienced debilitating brain fog, dizziness, stomach pain and palpitations. I stopped taking celebrex. I would never ever recommend this drug.”

Nemo · Taken for 10 years or more October 28, 2018

“The brand is the only medication that works for me. It allows me to function during cold, rainy days without joint pain and osteoarthritis. The generic is worthless.”

Loulou · Taken for 10 years or more September 27, 2018

“I was on Vioxx, then switched to Celebrex. I took 200 mg daily for 14 years. On 7-5-16 I had a heart attack. My right ventricle was full of blood clots. I had NO plaque. I had 3 blockages, 80%, 90% and 100 % blockage. My cardiologist took me off it immediately. Celebrex DID take care of most of my pain. Taking it is not worth dying.”

Jillyn31 · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2018

“My rheumatologist prescribed this for my osteoarthritis & told me to take it as little as possible because of the potential for kidney & liver damage. Initially, I took it 1-2x/wk but then stopped taking it for a while. Started taking it again last week & after several days, I noticed constipation, my stomach being very bloated & a burning sensation in my stomach that nothing could relieve for about 36 hrs. I thought there many have been very slight pain relief, but nothing is worth the stomach issues, so I'm not taking it anymore.”

Dawn · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2018

“I felt a difference immediately! I felt like a new woman! But by day 3 the itching started, and I was told to stop.”

Cathiiannii · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2017

“Worked well for pain but after a month got breathless and my heart raced at high speed. Thought I was having a heart attack.. Was given Noten to bring my heart rate back to normal. Still felt breathless.. On stopping the drug my heart and breathing slowly went back to normal. Scarey...”

emsp · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2017

“53 year old male with bad knee. I was prescribed this for my knee. With in two days of 200 mg once a day, I woke up and had joint and muscle pain in my ankles, feet, arms, wrists and elbows. In addition I had sinus pressure so bad that it hurt to touch my face. I immediately quit taking and the symptoms are receding but still there two days later.”

Suzie Babe September 10, 2017

“Have been taking for 30 yrs! Told to stop by pharmacist . Just stop? Yes ! Surviving on 6 Panadol oesteo and Lyrica . Quite draining though. No sign of internal damage. Haven't seen doctor yet. Thought I'd give it some time. Been two weeks. Anyone else had similar experience???”

63galxy · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 28, 2017

“Generally has been effective in treating osteoarthritis pain/ inflammation. For me it worked noticeably better than meloxicam. I have taken it on an as needed basis for at least 5 years and have had no appreciable side effects.”

M.Stone · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2017

“After the results of the latest 10 year study came out in late 2016 claiming the safety of the product, I decided to ask my doctor to put me on it for my Osteoarthritis. It helped immensely! I am sure my pain was decreased by at LEAST 30-40% if not more! When you're in constant pain and discomfort, that amount is a huge relief! I started just a few weeks before my hip replacement due to "bone on bone" caused by my osteoarthritis. ANY relief is welcome! I would most definitely recommend this to anyone to at least try! I use the generic brand.”

Ranch girl · Taken for 10 years or more December 11, 2016

“Celebrex allows me to go day to day almost pain free. Nothing else fights my pain caused by osteoarthritis of the upper spine. I have taken 200 mg once a day on and off for over 15 years. Occasionally I do need to take it daily for a few weeks. I am so grateful for this med and for the doctors who prescribe it. I strongly recommend it.”

using celebrex November 28, 2016

“Ive been taking celebrex for a couple of yrs, I always thought it made me too tired, about a wk ago it made me so tired I fell and hit my ribs and now I have pain in my ribs that probably won't go away for wks, I decided not to refill it and just take stuff like aleve instead, all it did was create more pain by cracking my ribs or whatever it did to it, thought people should know about this side effect especially since my doctor didnt tell me about it, then I wouldnt have hurt my ribs in vain knowing that I've helped others know this information”

1strangepuppy · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2016

“What a JOKE! Doesn't do anything unless you count the side effects! You'll only accept constructive criticism, so, avoid a gut ache added to pain, slow burning urination when you NEVER before had an issue. Doctors really need to LISTEN to patients, and stop assuming that they know more about my body than I do. This MAY work for some, or it may be a placebo effect, but for me it did nothing but add to my problems! Doctors also need to consider QUALITY of life over QUANTITY. I do NOT want to live with this pain, and if they can't or won't give me what works, then let me go. I have enough without risking a stroke too!”

PNS · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2016

“I am suffering with, swelling in right leg ankle, but however, there is no pain. I was prescribed 200 mg of this capsule, to be taken twice a day by my doctor. Took the dosage as prescribed by the doctor for two days, and noticed light-headedness, palpation and difficulty in remembering.”

Lilly Anne November 17, 2016

“First one I took my heart was racing I thought I just had to get use to medication.second one the same the third one I had a severe allergic reaction ended up in the hospital thought I was going to die.I would not recommend anyone ever take this terrible medication.”

Josie4020 · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2016

“I just started using celebrex a few days ago.i was taking 1600-3200 mg daily for severe knee pain. It barely helped, and I have had stomach ulcers, so my pcp recommend this med. It's only helped a little but,but I'd like to give it a few months. Today I woke up feeling sick.i have a hot, flushed face and just feel terrible. and I have not been feeling well lately anyway and have wheezing and a cough ..but i hope this isn't a side effect.”

Oleh August 20, 2016

“I am 82 yr old retired scientist, walking daily 4 miles in 1 hr. Suddenly I developed extreme arthritic pain in my right hip. Pain was unbearable at night. No pain killers helped including morphine. My doctor prescribed 200 mg Celebrex for 14 days. It helped instantly, particularly at night. Believe it or not, now I have pain in me left hip, my shoulders, elbows, and even severe pain in my left wrist! I have been off Celebrex for one week and I am relying on physical therapy to minimize the arthritic pain. No more Celebrex.”

White Eagle June 17, 2016

“5 weeks ago I had a full knee replacement. The going was tough but I started taking celebrex and with therapy I jogged down my driveway tonight. (UNBELIEVABLE) I stopped taking oxycodone. I couldn't be more happier. Now going back for a hip replacement. All of this and I am 79 years old.”

Learn more about Osteoarthritis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)