User Reviews for Carvedilol

Also known as: Coreg, Coreg CR

Carvedilol has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 160 ratings on Drugs.com. 37% of those users who reviewed Carvedilol reported a positive effect, while 44% reported a negative effect.

Left Ventricular Dysfunction
High Blood Pressure
Summary of Carvedilol reviews 5.3 160 reviews

Reviews for Carvedilol

Reevesworx June 15, 2021

For Heart Failure: “I was diagnosed with CHF and EF less than 35% in March 2021.. 3.25mg of Carvedilol twice a day doubling dosage every two weeks until 25mg 2x a day was reached. Immediately starting this medication I felt like my heart was getting worse. I had read the side effects and I waited for my side effects to calm down. They didn't they got worse with good day tucked in here and there. The pain in my upper legs was unbearable and constant chest pains, the feeling of disconnect with my surroundings, constant fighting off dizzy spells and weakness. I went from doing handyman work up a ladder all day in January to barely able to get out of bed by the end of May. My blood glucose levels went completely nuts. Beware of this med I felt trapped and I was told I had to take it to help my heart but then felt as if it was really bad for me making me worse than I was. It made me completely nonfunctional in a matter of months. I felt so much better in a matter of hours after discontinuing its use.”

Cool j · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I’ve had just horrible side effects. My blood pressure would spike through out the day, getting as high as 184/94 which caused lots of anxiety. Trouble sleeping. Arrhythmia’s throughout the day which caused headaches at top of head and around carotid artery. Shortness of breath. Dizziness, nausea, weakness, bloody sinuses. At one point I thought I was going to have a stroke, or get kidney disease. It’s been 2 weeks and some of the symptoms have decreased, I don’t think I want to stay with this product. I hope there’s no damage to my arteries or organs. Time will tell but I hope the FDA take this one off the market! I prefer to go back to Metoprolol. It was a lot of praying day, noon and night that got me thru this!”

Vizsla April 11, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I was given carvedilol after aneurysm surgery. I understood it to be a temporary therapeutic drug needed to help recover from the surgery trauma to my heart. My surgeon said my heart was otherwise OK. When I got out of the hospital, I experienced major side effects including shaking, anxiety, panic attacks, dizziness, and mental confusion. I told my Cardiologist about the side effects but he said I should continue the carvedilol but cut back the dosage slightly which did not help. I also told my cardiologist my blood pressure was erratic After 4 months I told my cardiologist I would not take carvedilol anymore. He prescribed cardizem along with carvedilol. I took only the cardizem and all side effect went away except panic attacks but, blood pressure stayed high. After explaining the problem to my primary care, she prescribed losartan to take with cardizem which brought my blood pressure down to the 120/80 range.”

TMon · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2021

For Heart Failure: “Since taking carvedilol I have gained about 40 lbs.,without any change to my diet. My cardiologist says no, that doesn’t happen. However, I have seen this same complaint from thousands of online comments. What is a good alternative to Carvedilol that does not add excessive weight? Doctors, if you’re not taking the drug, do not make ridiculous comments about side effects. Your drug company rep isn’t going to tell you the truth on side effects.”

I'm off it March 12, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Took carvedelol for almost 2 years at a 12mg 2 times a day. All was fine until this past year: fatigue, diarrhea, back pain, bleeding gums, eye problems---felt like sandpaper in my eyes. After 2 days of non- stop diarrhea and being so week and dizzy barely making it to the bathroom, I stopped taking it. I expected that to be difficult but it wasn't at all and my Dr. didn't even check with me to see how it went. I'm thru with the Dr. and Carvedlol forever!”

Max October 25, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was prescribed Carvedilol 25 mg am/pm. I was popping pills all-day and feeling horrible...like I was going to have a heart attack at any moment. My PCP treated me by prescribing more medications. I was popping pills like candy and feeling like I was run over by a truck. I had extreme fatigue! I did my own research and learned that Calcium Channel Blockers (CCB) are best for African Americans. Which the PCP nor Cardiologist were giving me. I requested a CCB and told the doctor I did not want to take Carvedilol. Only to learn that I had to wean off of it because a sudden stop could cause a heart attack. I will NEVER take it again. BETA BLOCKERS do not work as well for black people to treat HBP and unfortunately, some of the prescribers are NOT aware of the critical detail.”

Georgia · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 22, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Refill from Walmart, of carvedilol 3.125mg. Felt bad for a few days. Finally went to urgent care thinking it was sinus infection. Bp 220/120. Sent to ER. Added amilodipine. Bp still high. Went to pcp changed carvedilol to 6.25, from CVS and different manufacturer. Bp is now 107/72. Never had BP that high. I’m convinced it’s the Walmart generic. Small round white pill. The first time I got this pill I called and advised them it was not the same as before. Bp and heart rate increased. Said different manufacturer. I’m going to see about getting it tested.”

Age 30 May 28, 2020

For Heart Failure: “I had a leg injury. Doctors would not give me a real pain pill. They only gave me over-the-counter naproxen sodium Aleve which does not control pain at all and caused stomach ache and mild heart failure. After some weeks of rest, my heart was perfectly good, back to normal. The problems did not start, until the doctor put me on Carvedilol Coreg which is a Beta Blocker, it blocks some brain chemicals and hormones, such as Adrenaline, and causes the heart to pump slower. After that, I went into a steady decline. Worse every month. My heart now feels that it struggles to pump, and blood pressure feels too low. Leg muscles are now too weak to do leg lifts. I feel less youthful, feel suddenly older, and my heart muscle struggles to pump strong enough. Heart is over exerting. I have sleep apnea and sometimes it is easier to sleep sitting up. Carvedilol Coreg makes my heart too weak to sleep in a sitting position, I need to be laying flat, for heart to pump comfortably.”

Saunttescue · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: “I was put on coreg 25 mg 2 daily after a heart stent. Day by day I felt worse. I was very short of breath and my abdomin starting bloating and felt a lot of pressure in my abdomin especially about 4 hours after taking the coreg. Called the cardiologist told them my concerns and told them I thought it was my meds, they said no that it was not the meds to call my PCP. The symptoms got so severe I ended up in the ER and after a CT scan and blood work I was told it was the coreg making me feel this way. Just a horrible med for me. Doctors need to listen to their patients.”

JAB · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 16, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I used carvedilol for years very successfully. My blood pressure was terrific. Then my pharmacist passed away and the drug store closed. My prescriptions were transferred to CVS. They give my carvedilol from Bayshore Pharmaceuticals and it is like I am taking sugar pills. The Bayshore Pharmaceutical Carvedilol does not work. I requested another generic from the CVS Pharmacist. I was told they purchase the drugs that give them the best deal. She stated that are drugs are created equal. Not true. It took me less than a week to determine the pills were not working.”

Becky · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 27, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have had a good experience with Carvedilol. I take it for HBP and a heart condition. At first a bit of dizziness, but that could have been the other meds causing this. I have less head rushes and anxiety. I feel more calm and at ease now.”

Mrs C. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 20, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: “I've been on carvedilol for 6 months, in conjunction with lisinopril, and it has worked well on lowering my blood pressure, where the lisinopril alone was barely fazing it. With no medicines my pressure was running around 200s/120s, on lisinopril alone it was only coming down to 180s/100s. Since being on carvedilol, it runs (in my opinion) a almost too low, around 90s to low 100s over 50s. This doesn't bother me so much, but occasionally, and for no reason I determine, it will either spike or plummet. It has been as high as 180/98 and as low as 86/38. THAT was scary. I also have nausea, dizziness upon standing or moving very suddenly, and nearly disabling headaches. I like what it does for my blood pressure, but not how it makes me feel.”

Only 30 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 16, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on Carvedilol for about a year now after suffering a panic attack (thought I was having a heart attack) and going to the ER. ER doctor suggested I go see a Cardiologist to help ease my mind (I had convinced myself something is wrong with my heart). After doing all the test (stress & ECG) everything looks good beside some minor swelling, but wanted to put me on BP medicine because I was averaging around 145/85-90 every time I saw him. I really, really, really don't like the side effects. I have constant heart burn, chest sore ness and muscle pain. Mainly in my left chest, shoulder and upper back. It has cause so much anxiety cause I'm constantly thinking my chest pain is heart related. I'm finally at the point where I think I'm going to go to a different doctor, because mine keeps saying all the side effects are just in my head. But it has cause real problems, I have gained 50lbs since being on the meds due to depression and fear of being active (cardio phobia). 30 y/o male 300lbs”

Mike · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I was proscribed this drug carvedilol for high blood pressure. In short it is horrible. Chest pains, anxiety and headaches. Trying to get back off of with doctors help. Don't start this drug. Find something else.”

tired of being lightheaded · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 29, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I absolutely hate this drug - I constantly feel light headed and dizzy - doctors put me on this in August of 2018 after a heart attack at age 56. 13 months later I'm walking using a walker because the "waves" of vertigo and dizziness can be so severe. After reading the chat thread here of other peoples' experience with this drug, I am calling my doctor and demanding a review. If the doctor won't make changes, I'll change the doctor.”

Thom · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 31, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Heart attack in 2013. Started taking Solco Healthcares Coreg (Carvedilol) Started with 3.25 twice a day. BP was average 140/90. Eventually went to 12.5 and now at 25 twice a day. Been 2 weeks of taking the 25mg and my BP averages 160/100 And I'm always tired. Blurred eyesight. Angina... Doctor thinks increasing dosage will be the answer to lowering BP. I disagree. I won't stop taking it on my own but quality of life isn't close to where it should be.”

jasmin April 16, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I'm on carvedilol for my bp and my side effects are constipation, gas, bloating, dizziness and tiredness myDr said to me to keep taking it! So I changed Doctor's I wish I told him you take this poison! Unbelievable I would rather walk around with high blood pressure then take this garbage!!!”

breanne September 9, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Dr. put me on this med , Carvedilol 2 years ago after aneurysm surgery, beginning with 12.5 mg, gradually increasing it to 25 mg. Two times each day along with this, also taking 50 mg Losartin each day. (Total of 100 mg of blood pressure medicine) I had always been active and physically fit before this, and started going downhill fast! After months of headaches- being dizzy - numbness/ tingling in hands and feet- dark urine- bruising on arms -blurred vision and most importantly, shortness of breath and cough! I cut each med in half and still didn't get better. I saw on computer, side effects for Carvidolol described what I had been experiencing. I saw my Dr. and told him I refused to take any more of these meds and he could either put me back on 25 mg. Atenolol (which I had been on for 16 years with no ill effects) or I wouldn't take anything. Today is day #5 on the Atenolol. I feel already I'm getting my life back. More energy, no dizziness and best of all I can breathe normal.”

Jus555 October 22, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on Coreg for a year while on it I had bad back pain & severe upper leg pain. It got to the point where I felt like I was being poisoned, as I kept getting worse. I could hardly walk or exist with the pain. I thought I was going to die as I got worse & worse. I went for acupuncture & that didn't help at all so I got to thinking-when did all this pain start . I figured it was when I went on coreg. I stopped the Corig & in one day I was so much better. I am now back to myself & am convinced the Corig was slowly killing me. Glad I used common sense as my doctor is SHOCKED that I said it's the Corig..”

KaycieD · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: “The lowest dose of Carvedilol 2 times per day was effective in lowering my moderately high blood pressure almost immediately (170/90 that shoots higher under stress). However, it has lowered my blood pressure too low when inactive (100/70 ave.). Sometimes when I sit still or wake up from sleep in the middle of the night or in morning I have a random moment of anxiety followed by extreme dizziness, disorientation and nausea that lasts a good period of time, sometimes 2-3 hours. Before I had a stress test & was cleared as 'perfect' this scared me terribly and my blood pressure would shoot up to 180 /100 . Sometimes after taking I'm drowsy but I'm exhausted from dealing with this and trying to continue with life. Hoping to get off of it asap, effective but horrible side effects.”

Teetee · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Involuntarly switched to this Aurobindo Pharma brand imprint E02 (I had to swapped brands because usual manufacturer stopped supply) on Monday the 23rd and ended up in hospital ICU on Thursday for two days with BP 201/101 and on critical watch!!! Still can't get BP regulated, I'm weary and frightened and the side effects are terrible! Now I have to take lisinopril to try to get it down. Another med with side effects! Never thought that so much difference in additives could make you so sick! 255 Coreg is my usual prescription brand and I never felt like I was on medication. (BP 120-135/75 on average) Good thing I keep a BP journal to show my PCM so they would not think I was imagining things. I will continue to ask for original brand that I took and search for a pharmacy who can hopefully provide the medication that I need.”

Clickin'it · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 13, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Had mech valve implanted in aortic position and composite graft in ascending aorta done in April 2019 (to replace 16 year old tissue valve in same position). Was put on metoprolol succinate 50mg daily among other drugs for heart when discharged from the hospital. I was making progress until after week 12 when I had 2 medical emergencies. Long story short - all the symptoms I was experiencing; confusion, dizziness, anxiety, difficulty swallowing, vision issues, so called "seizures" - these were resolved when my cardiologist switched me over to Carvedilol 6.25mg 2x day after trying to reduce my metoprolol dosage. After taking the Carvedilol I feel like a new person. I have no more symptoms. I've heard that Carvedilol also has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Idk. Moral of the story - make sure that your Dr works with you to find a medication that suits you. Everybody is different.”

Jes · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 13, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “3 drug meds including Carvedilol after "fluke" heart attack 3 years ago from "plaque collapse" requiring stent. Surgeon said no permanent damage to my heart probably from years of working out regularly. Carvedilol up to 6.25MG 2x day and again to 12.50MG 2x day by cardiologist to try to get BP under 130.Just saw primary for annual physical. Exhausted. Drinking lots of caffeine to get any energy. Workouts ~10% of past ability and not obese, but weight higher than ever. Would NEVER suggest med change without doc approval, but just cut my pills in half back down to 6.25MG 2x per day to try to get energy back. Once primary gets blood work results, expect he'll get me off this med and onto a diuretic as discussed, but am personally making the decision to cut back my dosage on this one effective today. Bad enough to be fighting age to get back into shape, but now believe this drug is actively preventing me from working out harder which is making my physical condition worse.”

RCF60433 · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 26, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “The worst drug I've ever been on. More side effects than beneficial effects. My doctor's solution, another beta blocker, Metoprolol! Even worse than Carvedilol. Going to gradually withdraw over 2 weeks on my own. Why do doctors believe the drug companies and not their patients?”

hkjrn · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “I was put on Carvedilol after a spontaneous coronary artery dissection (SCAD) as a way to lower my NEW hypertension. I had HYPOTENSION for 63 yrs...now suddenly it's high. They started out on 6.25mg. I immediately had fatigue & nausea. My BP stayed up so they doubled the dose....WORSENING both the fatigue & the nausea...as in I felt like I was pregnant nausea 24/7 and fatigue to where I could barely get out of bed and then moved to the sofa. YES!!!! I complained to my PCP & Cardiology md...they DOUBLED THE DOSE again to 25mg BID. At 12 weeks I said ENOUGH. I chose quality of my life VS quantity if that was to happen&stopped the Carvedilol. Within the week I felt 100% better + my BP came down to 100/60...where I normally 'live'. AWFUL DRUG!”

Beatcha! March 9, 2013

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: “I participated in the blind study at University hospital in Denver CO in the 90's. EF was 12% was given 6 months to live in 1992 at 24 yrs old, a 6 month old daughter. I must have gotten the actual medicine in the trial. I was glad to participate, and was excited when FDA approved Coreg. I had gotten to over 400lbs. Now 22 years later my EF is 52% and weight 165 and a B.S. M.S. degree and working on Ph.D and watching my daughter do wonderful things. I'm grateful for Coreg and my awesome cardiac and PCP team.”

Jelly Bean · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2019

For Heart Failure: “I was taking metoprolol for a couple of years for heart failure and high blood pressure with absolutely no problems. Then my cardiologist left the clinic and the new guy switched me to Carvedilol 25 mg twice a day. Immediately I suffered shortness of breath, profound weakness, and dizziness to the point where I almost passed out a few times. Demanded to be taken off it and put back on the metoprolol. This was just my experience with Carvedilol and yours may be different. But doctors who think nothing of playing with a patient’s medications for no good reason make me sick.”

gordonR54 March 20, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “Got severe neck pain the first time I took carvedilol. Now, more than a year after being put on it, I have terrible lightheadedness and gnawing headaches. I also have BP spikes and periods of low BP. Have been trying to get docs to switch medication but one will hand off to another and nothing gets done. NOT a reliable medication. Side-effects worse than benefits.”