User Reviews for Carvedilol to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Coreg, Coreg CR

Carvedilol Rating Summary

4.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Carvedilol

I'm off it March 12, 2020

“Took carvedelol for almost 2 years at a 12mg 2 times a day. All was fine until this past year: fatigue, diarrhea, back pain, bleeding gums, eye problems---felt like sandpaper in my eyes. After 2 days of non- stop diarrhea and being so week and dizzy barely making it to the bathroom, I stopped taking it. I expected that to be difficult but it wasn't at all and my Dr. didn't even check with me to see how it went. I'm thru with the Dr. and Carvedlol forever!”

Becky · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 27, 2020

“I have had a good experience with Carvedilol. I take it for HBP and a heart condition. At first a bit of dizziness, but that could have been the other meds causing this. I have less head rushes and anxiety. I feel more calm and at ease now.”

Teetee · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2019

“Involuntarly switched to this Aurobindo Pharma brand imprint E02 (I had to swapped brands because usual manufacturer stopped supply) on Monday the 23rd and ended up in hospital ICU on Thursday for two days with BP 201/101 and on critical watch!!! Still can't get BP regulated, I'm weary and frightened and the side effects are terrible! Now I have to take lisinopril to try to get it down. Another med with side effects! Never thought that so much difference in additives could make you so sick! 255 Coreg is my usual prescription brand and I never felt like I was on medication. (BP 120-135/75 on average) Good thing I keep a BP journal to show my PCM so they would not think I was imagining things. I will continue to ask for original brand that I took and search for a pharmacy who can hopefully provide the medication that I need.”

Georgia · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 22, 2019

“Refill from Walmart, of carvedilol 3.125mg. Felt bad for a few days. Finally went to urgent care thinking it was sinus infection. Bp 220/120. Sent to ER. Added amilodipine. Bp still high. Went to pcp changed carvedilol to 6.25, from CVS and different manufacturer. Bp is now 107/72. Never had BP that high. I’m convinced it’s the Walmart generic. Small round white pill. The first time I got this pill I called and advised them it was not the same as before. Bp and heart rate increased. Said different manufacturer. I’m going to see about getting it tested.”

Mike · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2019

“I was proscribed this drug carvedilol for high blood pressure. In short it is horrible. Chest pains, anxiety and headaches. Trying to get back off of with doctors help. Don't start this drug. Find something else.”

Joe · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 30, 2019

“Been taking Carvedilol 6.25 mg twice a day for years! Due to elevated BP numbers dr changed dosage to 12.5 in am and 6.35 in pm. BP is now extremely high in evenings! I’m convinced the ingredients are now different! Manufacturer says Mylan, ? Have been to drs, trips to ER, scans, MRI, all ok, so I’m convinced high BP caused by medicine! HELP!”

Scoop ( 59 year old male) · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2019

“After 10 years of doctors trying all kinds of bp meds. I gave up and refused to take them. My pharmacist finally recommended I try Carvedilol . While others caused depression and ED this med works for me without side effects. I had not had "Morning Wood" in at least five years and the second day I was on this medication I woke up with an erection and I have had no issues with keeping a strong erection for sex. I feel like me again. no depression no weakness and good stamina for my workouts/runs.”

Clickin'it · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 13, 2019

“Had mech valve implanted in aortic position and composite graft in ascending aorta done in April 2019 (to replace 16 year old tissue valve in same position). Was put on metoprolol succinate 50mg daily among other drugs for heart when discharged from the hospital. I was making progress until after week 12 when I had 2 medical emergencies. Long story short - all the symptoms I was experiencing; confusion, dizziness, anxiety, difficulty swallowing, vision issues, so called "seizures" - these were resolved when my cardiologist switched me over to Carvedilol 6.25mg 2x day after trying to reduce my metoprolol dosage. After taking the Carvedilol I feel like a new person. I have no more symptoms. I've heard that Carvedilol also has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Idk. Moral of the story - make sure that your Dr works with you to find a medication that suits you. Everybody is different.”

Mr. HBP · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2019

“Here's my experience with coreg. Took the minimum dose for hypertension (6.25 mg twice a day according to the doctor). Freaked me out at first during the first couple of weeks. Increased anxiety, felt somewhat fatigued. But after getting used to it, BP would be in the 110's/70's range so really good BP. However, if I got the slightest bit of anger or anxiety, BP would get elevated to the 130's/90's range. After 2 months of this, dumped my primary care doctor and switched to another one. New doctor prescribed 50 mg of metoprolol per day and 5 mg of lexapro to help with the anxiety. Tried lexapro before with the coreg but the third night I felt hot and felt weird heartbeat so I stopped. Told the new doctor what happened before with lexapro, but he said it wasn't the lexapro but the coreg. Start the metoprolol tomorrow and lexapro a couple days later, so hopefully this works. This is my experience so coreg may work for you but it didn't help much.”

new jersey September 16, 2019

“I was fine on 25 mg Carvedilol by aurolife pharma and teva pharma, but now Walmart uses Bluepoint Pharma and it no longer controls my blood pressure. Switching back to Aurolife resolves problem caused by Bluepoint? Evidently Walmart cannot order from other distributors so I must find a different pharmacy? Humana Walmart used in non walmart pharmacy is more expensive but necessary if their product doesn't work.”

Jes · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 13, 2019

“3 drug meds including Carvedilol after "fluke" heart attack 3 years ago from "plaque collapse" requiring stent. Surgeon said no permanent damage to my heart probably from years of working out regularly. Carvedilol up to 6.25MG 2x day and again to 12.50MG 2x day by cardiologist to try to get BP under 130.Just saw primary for annual physical. Exhausted. Drinking lots of caffeine to get any energy. Workouts ~10% of past ability and not obese, but weight higher than ever. Would NEVER suggest med change without doc approval, but just cut my pills in half back down to 6.25MG 2x per day to try to get energy back. Once primary gets blood work results, expect he'll get me off this med and onto a diuretic as discussed, but am personally making the decision to cut back my dosage on this one effective today. Bad enough to be fighting age to get back into shape, but now believe this drug is actively preventing me from working out harder which is making my physical condition worse.”

tired of being lightheaded · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 29, 2019

“I absolutely hate this drug - I constantly feel light headed and dizzy - doctors put me on this in August of 2018 after a heart attack at age 56. 13 months later I'm walking using a walker because the "waves" of vertigo and dizziness can be so severe. After reading the chat thread here of other peoples' experience with this drug, I am calling my doctor and demanding a review. If the doctor won't make changes, I'll change the doctor.”

Only 30 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 16, 2019

“I have been on Carvedilol for about a year now after suffering a panic attack (thought I was having a heart attack) and going to the ER. ER doctor suggested I go see a Cardiologist to help ease my mind (I had convinced myself something is wrong with my heart). After doing all the test (stress & ECG) everything looks good beside some minor swelling, but wanted to put me on BP medicine because I was averaging around 145/85-90 every time I saw him. I really, really, really don't like the side effects. I have constant heart burn, chest sore ness and muscle pain. Mainly in my left chest, shoulder and upper back. It has cause so much anxiety cause I'm constantly thinking my chest pain is heart related. I'm finally at the point where I think I'm going to go to a different doctor, because mine keeps saying all the side effects are just in my head. But it has cause real problems, I have gained 50lbs since being on the meds due to depression and fear of being active (cardio phobia). 30 y/o male 300lbs”

jasmin April 16, 2019

“I'm on carvedilol for my bp and my side effects are constipation, gas, bloating, dizziness and tiredness myDr said to me to keep taking it! So I changed Doctor's I wish I told him you take this poison! Unbelievable I would rather walk around with high blood pressure then take this garbage!!!”

Captain Clipboard March 26, 2019

“CARVEDILOL is a bad drug !!! I can't breath when on it. I've had 3 doctors tell me no its not causing your shortness of breath. Guess what? When I stopped it I was able to breath again.......each time”

Grama · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 29, 2018

“Over the last months my pharmacy changed from a brand I liked (white oval) to a brand that makes me feel "off". The newer brand is a round white tablet. I checked on line to compare the inactive ingredients and found that the new brand has sodium lauryl sulfate, corn starch, and microcrystalline cellulose amongst all the other common inactive ingredients. I'm searching for another pharmacy which has generic carvedilol which has similar inactive ingredients to the former white oval 12.5 mg carvedilol.”

Ackack October 3, 2018

Coreg (carvedilol): “Ok been on this since my valve repair in June. Stabilized now at 2 pills 2 x daily 12.5 mg. Since I left the hospital I noticed my BP had been rising up to 150/101 some days higher. I was following the directions. Dr. recently also put me on Lisinopril. I went off that after 2 weeks do to bad experience. Medications instructions on the label were to take with food. When I was in the hospital they were waking me at at 4 am and giving me this on an empty stomach and BP hovered around 120/85. So ok why not try that. Bingo back to corrected levels similar to when hospitalized range. This effect last for about 9 hours so adjusted my dose times. Just remember this is for me, and it is recommended to be taken with food, so you don't get the medication working to quickly which can cause dizziness etc for people.”

GrandPaMan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 1, 2018

“I've been taking carvedilol for almost a year, and after my dosage was regulated, I have had good results. My problem occurred when my pharmacy changed brands, from a small oval tablet to a round tablet, and is not as effective. When I talked with my pharmacist about it, he said to request the old style tablet when I refilled. I have 2 weeks before my refill and my diastolic has gone from 78 to 95+. If I was mean, I would be looking for an attorney to rectify this problem.”

Mountain Man · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 25, 2018

“Been taking 12.5mg BID for months now. No change in BP, it still soars to 190/115 at times. Finally after months I got my PCP to recommend a Cardiologist. Will see what they say this week and get back with another review! Worthless medication wondering how it got approved by the FDA?”

breanne September 9, 2018

“Dr. put me on this med , Carvedilol 2 years ago after aneurysm surgery, beginning with 12.5 mg, gradually increasing it to 25 mg. Two times each day along with this, also taking 50 mg Losartin each day. (Total of 100 mg of blood pressure medicine) I had always been active and physically fit before this, and started going downhill fast! After months of headaches- being dizzy - numbness/ tingling in hands and feet- dark urine- bruising on arms -blurred vision and most importantly, shortness of breath and cough! I cut each med in half and still didn't get better. I saw on computer, side effects for Carvidolol described what I had been experiencing. I saw my Dr. and told him I refused to take any more of these meds and he could either put me back on 25 mg. Atenolol (which I had been on for 16 years with no ill effects) or I wouldn't take anything. Today is day #5 on the Atenolol. I feel already I'm getting my life back. More energy, no dizziness and best of all I can breathe normal.”

Popeye · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 23, 2018

“I've been taking it since my heart attack in '13. It's never brought my BP down to acceptable levels. Told my doctor and she wants to keep adjusting the dose. Makes me wonder if she's giving me a placebo.”

MeMe · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2018

“I am about to take this right now for the first time. After reading all of your reviews I must say I'm nervous. But because my BP ranges from 170/200 at times I have no choice but to try it out. I'll send another review in a few days of taking this medication. Oh, and the mg that my PCP prescribed me is 12.5mg”

Insipid · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2018

“Placed on carvediol 12,5 mg bid. Side effects got progressively worse even with decreasing dose. By the end of 9 months I was on 3.25 mg twice daily and had missed 2 weeks of work, was nauseated, had diarrhea, vomiting, strange thoughts, anxious, scared to death of any noise, lost 28 lbs, throat and chest pain, and did not have enough energy to get out of bed. On the positive, side my BP went from 173 / 103 to 112/74 with a pulse in the 40 to 50 range. I have been off of it for about 2 days and although I had a BP spike, many of the side effects are mitigating. May be great for some, but I am thankful for being off of it.”

miketdc · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2018

“Carvedilol was added to current medication, Losartan, I am taking. It is NOT helping lowering my BP. And after having taken Carvedilol for three months, I started having terrible headache (back and both sides), upset stomach (feeling nauseous) issues. I plan to ask my doctor to approve me to stop Carvedilol.”

RCF60433 · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 26, 2018

“The worst drug I've ever been on. More side effects than beneficial effects. My doctor's solution, another beta blocker, Metoprolol! Even worse than Carvedilol. Going to gradually withdraw over 2 weeks on my own. Why do doctors believe the drug companies and not their patients?”