User Reviews for Carvedilol

Also known as: Coreg, Coreg CR

Learn more about Carvedilol.

Carvedilol Rating Summary

4.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 336 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Carvedilol to treat High Blood Pressure

"Started on carvedilol 6.25mg 3 weeks ago. Have had serious issues with dizziness, nausea and severe pressure in the back of my head and neck. When I am laying down the pressure is not as bad but if I am trying to read anything, the pressure gets severe."

Angeloram (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with heart failure back in 2002. The doctors started me on coreg and it definitely worked. My EF went from 39 to 56 over time. I have been on coreg since that time to treat my blood pressure problems and my EF has been normal since. I will always be on high blood pressure pills because even with a weight loss of 90 lbs since 2002, I still have high BP. Coreg is one of the few meds that does not give me any side effects and works great."

littlelamb3 (taken for 10 years or more) April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While being care giver for my dying husband I rarely remembered to take BP meds. One day I felt terrible and checked my BP. It was 120/111. Trip to doc. Put on increasing doses of Carvedilol, up to 25mg twice a day with zero results. Lowest BP 147/89 usually 190/86. Do not feel this is working and have asked doctor to try something else. Problem is systolic is much higher but diastolic is not. Doctor says my heart is good and lungs clear despite having the flu. I am 82 years old. Had a stress test two years ago, which was perfect. I am hoping she may add something to bring down the systolic. I have had few side effects"

ccpoodle1000 February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am taking generic Carvedilol for 3 days now, perhaps I should wait a week or two before I can make a fair assessment of this medication, but I felt I should start by saying that I am only on 6.25 once a day due to hypertension. Never had high blood pressure in my life even when I was pregnant and gained 105 lbs after being only 115 lbs before I got pregnant. The only things I feel as for side effects are pain in my right knee, ringing in my ears and gas. I must say that my 175/110 bp went down to 130/ 75 but does jump up during the afternoon. I am one of those people who is paradoxical meaning I get the opposite effect of every side effect. I am going to write another review after 2 weeks, but for now pretty good."

TheDstar January 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My High Blood Pressure started getting bad in the last year Dr. tried 2 different Meds and they almost killed me. But I was desperate to feel better and tried again Dr. gave me Carvedilol 6.25mg BID the first dose made me dizzy for about 45 Min. the 2nd dose did Nothing ! Next day Nothing again still felt, weak, shaky, dizzy, ED, NO motivation, Sleeping way to much. Day 3 (Without Doctors permission) I Doubled dose to 12.5 mg BID (Twice Daily) And Wow BP Dropped from 185/112 to 124/78 after one hour, and I feel like Im 35 again happy, strong, active, and my girlfriend is very happy if you know what I mean. Dizziness is gone and so far (1 Month) I have not noticed any side effects. It really helped me !"

MaleAge55 December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"extensive harmless negative affects"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on Carvedilol after a spontaneous coronary artery dissection (SCAD) as a way to lower my NEW hypertension. I had HYPOTENSION for 63 yrs...now suddenly it's high. They started out on 6.25mg. I immediately had fatigue & nausea. My BP stayed up so they doubled the dose....WORSENING both the fatigue & the nausea...as in I felt like I was pregnant nausea 24/7 and fatigue to where I could barely get out of bed and then moved to the sofa. YES!!!! I complained to my PCP & Cardiology md...they DOUBLED THE DOSE again to 25mg BID. At 12 weeks I said ENOUGH. I chose quality of my life VS quantity if that was to happen&stopped the Carvedilol. Within the week I felt 100% better + my BP came down to 100/60...where I normally 'live'. AWFUL DRUG!"

hkjrn (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ruined everything!after being healthy and taking Zestril for 25years for moderate blood pressure, the doctor suggested I try Coreg! Within 6-8 weeks, I passed out face down while golfing with friends! I would pass out in my chair, several times a day?!! Only two months before, I visited the Napa wine country with my son & wife. My wife was in a wheelchair, & I pushed her all through the airport, lifted luggage , ate whatever I wanted,salt was not a restriction!!! Coreg changed all this! After 8 weeks! I ended up developing bradycardia ! (Slow heartbeat) I could inot ever get it irnyoressure back! Now they tell me I have developed amyloidosis(? I feel that slowing my heart rate had something to do with this, no matter what they say!"

Martuccia August 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ruined everything!after being healthy and taking Zestril for 25years for moderate blood pressure, the doctor suggested I try Coreg! Within 6-8 weeks, I passed out face down while golfing with friends! I would pass out in my chair, several times a day?!! Only two months before, I visited the Napa wine country with my son & wife. My wife was in a wheelchair, & I pushed her all through the airport, lifted luggage , ate whatever I wanted,salt was not a restriction!!! Coreg changed all thr At in 8 weeks! I ended up developing bradycardia ! (Slow heartbeat) I could it rt it back! Now they tell me I have developed amyloidosis(?) overly hat slowing my heart rate had something to do with this, no matter what they say!"

Martuccia August 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Bystolic for several years with no side effects. BCBS stopped paying so had to go on Coreg. This is a horrible drug. It causes me to be disoriented, dizzy, lightheaded, nauseous. I feel bad all the time!!"

Metalartist007 April 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Got severe neck pain the first time I took carvedilol. Now, more than a year after being put on it, I have terrible lightheadedness and gnawing headaches. I also have BP spikes and periods of low BP. Have been trying to get docs to switch medication but one will hand off to another and nothing gets done. NOT a reliable medication. Side-effects worse than benefits."

gordonR54 March 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Fine...a bit of nausea and headache to start im on the lowest dose. nothing else. made my bp optimal."

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had dizzy spells, blepharospasms, ocular migraine and some other eye problem that made my eyes close. The symptoms stopped, when I stopped using the medication."

Arete December 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Coreg for a year while on it I had bad back pain & severe upper leg pain. It got to the point where I felt like I was being poisoned, as I kept getting worse. I could hardly walk or exist with the pain. I thought I was going to die as I got worse & worse. I went for acupuncture & that didn't help at all so I got to thinking-when did all this pain start . I figured it was when I went on coreg. I stopped the Corig & in one day I was so much better. I am now back to myself & am convinced the Corig was slowly killing me. Glad I used common sense as my doctor is SHOCKED that I said it's the Corig.."

Jus555 October 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"i was on atenolol for a year 25 mg prn for palpitations. Then i felt like crap without it. Started experiencing more palpitations, doc put me on it twice a day. after a bout with ED, I asked to be put on something else, doc didn't budge. I was diagnosed with mild aortic valve regurg. new doc, reluctantly switched me to coreg 12.5 2xday. No longer ED, but it makes my heart rate go from 72 w/bp 126/69 at rest to 50 with bp raised to 149/78 with that low a pulse. Horrible bouts of light-headedness, subdermal rashes that won't go away, 50 pounds gained with even more exercise and closely monitored diet than before, and blood pressure that will not stay regulated. Never had high bp before getting on beta blockers. stay away unless absolutely necessary!!!!"

avrnaturalist October 4, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on Coreg for unexplained rapid heart rate. My blood pressure was mostly controlled with lisinopril. I have been on it for about two years and now I am having side effects like shortness of breath and low systolic blood pressure 100/72 with 60-70bpm. I don't know whether or not I can get off of it due to my rapid heart rate."

GILTOM September 28, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking coreg for 3 yrs now. I was taking other high blood pressure meds that didn't seen to work very well. Since I have been on coreg my bp stay 130/80 and I have no side effects."

SK206 September 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"terrible body pain, fatigue, constant urinating and shortness of breath. This is a terrible medicine. It should be taken off of the market. My insurance only covered the generic."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on coreg 25 mg 2 daily after a heart stent. Day by day I felt worse. I was very short of breath and my abdomin starting bloating and felt a lot of pressure in my abdomin especially about 4 hours after taking the coreg. Called the cardiologist told them my concerns and told them I thought it was my meds, they said no that it was not the meds to call my PCP. The symptoms got so severe I ended up in the ER and after a CT scan and blood work I was told it was the coreg making me feel this way. Just a horrible med for me. Doctors need to listen to their patients."

Saunttescue (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on carvedilol for 6 months, in conjunction with lisinopril, and it has worked well on lowering my blood pressure, where the lisinopril alone was barely fazing it. With no medicines my pressure was running around 200s/120s, on lisinopril alone it was only coming down to 180s/100s. Since being on carvedilol, it runs (in my opinion) a almost too low, around 90s to low 100s over 50s. This doesn't bother me so much, but occasionally, and for no reason I determine, it will either spike or plummet. It has been as high as 180/98 and as low as 86/38. THAT was scary. I also have nausea, dizziness upon standing or moving very suddenly, and nearly disabling headaches. I like what it does for my blood pressure, but not how it makes me feel."

Mrs C. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The lowest dose of Carvedilol 2 times per day was effective in lowering my moderately high blood pressure almost immediately (170/90 that shoots higher under stress). However, it has lowered my blood pressure too low when inactive (100/70 ave.). Sometimes when I sit still or wake up from sleep in the middle of the night or in morning I have a random moment of anxiety followed by extreme dizziness, disorientation and nausea that lasts a good period of time, sometimes 2-3 hours. Before I had a stress test & was cleared as 'perfect' this scared me terribly and my blood pressure would shoot up to 180 /100 . Sometimes after taking I'm drowsy but I'm exhausted from dealing with this and trying to continue with life. Hoping to get off of it asap, effective but horrible side effects."

KaycieD (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking carvedilol for three months, it works really good for my extremely high blood pressure. I have experienced rapid weight gain, but I can't be completely sure if the carvedilol is the blame as I am on other medications. It causes sudden dizziness even without standing up to quickly . I'm going to try something else because of the rapid weight gain and out of no where dizziness. I gave it a 7 rating because it works well with lowering my stubborn high blood pressure."

Sis363 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Since being put on 6 months ago (severe, resistant hypertension), along with diet and exercise, I have lost 60 lbs and my heart rate is usually in the mid -40s to low 50s when and complete rest (evenings) and in the high 50s - low 60s during the day. I have experienced no negative side effects. Drowsiness was present for the first week or two, but after that I adjusted and feel no side effects. Most important thing - if you are doing aerobic exercise while on this medication, DO NOT USE A HEART MONITOR as it does reduce heart rate. Normal heart rate ranges while on this medication to not apply and can cause damage if you attempt to the normal 180bpm. Consult a physician for activity restrictions while taking Carvedilol."

Young-in (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been put on carvedilol along with valsartan 160/25. It worked for blood pressure, however my cardiologist advised me that it was a significant contributor to my erectile dysfunction. After various trials in dosage, we eliminated carvedilol altogether and went to Bystolic with good BP results and no erectile dysfunction complications. Carvedilol may be good for those with actual heart problems, but just for control of BP, we found a great substitute without all the side effects."

cachef1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Coreg (carvedilol): "I have had great results with Coreg . My blood pressure was high and heart rate and now my pressure is normal and heart rate is much slower."

JerryDhutch March 8, 2013