User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar

Buspirone has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 1,067 ratings on Drugs.com. 47% of those users who reviewed Buspirone reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
7.9
Summary of Buspirone reviews 5.8 1,067 reviews

Reviews for Buspirone

smh1993 June 21, 2021

For Anxiety: “Took for antenatal anxiety. My OB said it was one of the least likely meds to give side effects. After trying to give it a go, the side effects have gotten out of control, and I can’t do it. I’ve been waking up with intense nightmares, and been unable to fall back asleep, which isn’t helping my anxiety. My eyes have been itching nonstop since starting. The GI issues are terrible (nonstop nausea, burping, diarrhea, feeling dehydrated and unable to drink enough water). I’ve been insanely dizzy, exhausted and foggy headed to the point where I can’t get anything done or concentrate (also having ADHD, this is making it 10x worse), my chest keeps getting this weird pain shortly after I take it, I have ringing in my ears, and the headaches have been so severe I’ve had to take multiple headache pills every day. I also just feel really out of it and uncomfortable in my own skin. I do feel slightly happier from this medicine, but that slight pro is not worth all the cons.”

Wainey48 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “This medicine has made me so sick, it's given me terrible vertigo for months, the side effects have not stopped until I stopped taking it. Weight gain, very upset stomach, terrible vertigo and dizziness. I will never take this again, I'd rather have anxiety than this.”

Hfsjhf June 21, 2021

For Anxiety: “Love it”

Better · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Buspar from what I read is for anxiety directly related to over thinking. This is what causes my anxiety. It’s chronic. I’ve read reviews that it doesn’t work, but maybe other people get anxiety from triggers. I just constantly over think everything to the point I avoid certain situations because I fear the outcome. This drug has allowed me to overcome this and talk about issues I have with someone, resolve issues faster, be more productive, etc. it’s drastically changed my life. Friends say I’m more cordial. Basically makes you feel very calm and more carefree and to stop thinking 24/7 about silly things”

Bud · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I just wanted to say how UPSET I am that so many doctors are afraid to prescribe benzodiazepines for anxiety relief. They are putting us on meds such as Seroquel, and others that are NOT designed to treat anxiety. Buspar, like other SSRIs and SSDNRIs, are not effective to treat attacks of anxiety. It’s out of hand how too many docs are not prescribing REAL anxiolytics. Buspar did not help me. I only want a PRN dose— not a maintenance med.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I’m an Iraq Veteran who has been diagnosed with PTSD and chronic anxiety. When I first started taking the buspar it would generate some level of anxiety for me because it’s a new chemical being introduced into my body. I would fight through the anxiety and keep taking the pills. After about a week I no longer had to fight the anxiety that was generated by taking buspar. I started off at 5mg and now I’m up to 30mg a day. I’ve been taking it for about 4-5 months now and have seen great progress. I know the list of “potential” side effects can generate anxiety for you by just reading them. However, the only “side effects” I noticed was a little weight gain and an increase in my sex drive.( which isn’t bad for me and my spouse). I would recommend buspar to anyone. It’s one of those drugs that it will either work for you, or not.”

Ray December 27, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I’ve had anxiety for years and I kinda just live life with it , sucks but I just deal with it. I’ve taken Lexapro, Prozac and a few other ones for anxiety, they barely work for me. I finally told my doctor to please help, I’m tired of living with anxiety and she prescribed Zoloft and Buspar. It’s been 2 months and I can finally say I think I found my medication, they work for me, I feel more normal again, not worrying for no reason, not feeling like I wanna rip outta my skin, not feeling like why me . I’m thankful for these medications.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 8, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I didn't read all the reviews but I was surprised to see people with intense reactions to BuSpar, maybe they took higher doses than I did. I've taken this drug on and off for a few years and it kind of works - it's hard to explain. I have taken probably 15-20 anxiety and depression meds in the last 10 years and many have bad side effects, buspar had none of those other than drowsiness - the only reason I keep buspar around is that it is very mild in my book - the effect is mild but the side effects are also mild or nonexistent”

Anonymous January 13, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “In my experience the only think that works for anxiety is Benzodiazepines. I don't like how doctors are so quick to throw all sorts of different psychotic medications at patients when for the most part they don't really work. Just because something isn't a narcotic doesn't mean it should be overprescribed and just because Benzodiazepines are narcotics doesn't mean they shouldn't be prescribed.”

Z May 14, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: “During the current situation the world is in suddenly a month ago I woke up and found myself having panic attacks, it's been years since I had something like that happen to me, and never to that extent. I went through tests and doctors trying to figure out what was wrong with me when all of them agreed I was having anxiety that was even causing most of my physical symptoms, shortness of breath, chest tightness, which then led to panic attacks as those symptoms match up with what we're being told are symptoms of the new virus. Finally after multiple appointments I was given Buspar and was told to give it a shot. It didn't work immediately and for the first week I'd say I didn't notice much and it had bummed me out, STICK WITH IT. I'm on day 9 now I'd say and I finally feel like my old self. I can focus on my job without debilitating intrusive thoughts, my worry still comes and goes but it is not overwhelming me anymore, and I'm able to have a more positive outlook over time.”

Mmbwdpnz · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Do not take this drug. Had a horrible experience. Nightmares, intrusive thoughts, mood swings, apathy, angry, made me the opposite of who I am. Withdrawals are even worse so much buzzing and brain zaps. I would have rather had the anxiety/panic attacks! Still dealing with all the bizzare effects. This is coming from someone who never was on any medication. Have to take other meds just to sleep and make it through my day now. Hoping to be back to normal soon. Thank goodness for the ER staff who helped me!”

AnxietyMomma · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: “Ive had horrible anxiety my ENTIRE life. I’m 31. I’ve been on 40+ anti anxiety medications and tried countless other things to help my anxiety. Buspar has saved my life. My dr added Buspar to my Effexor 100mg and it has helped me tremendously. I’m a new person. I’m now on medications that take at least 4-6 weeks to work, but Buspar helped me day 1. I was so scared to try it at first, for two months actually, and now I could kick myself. It’s been a Godsend. Try. It. Don’t be scared. It could change your life for the better!!! You are not alone!!!! This will get better. Much love.”

California woman · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I took Buspirone when I had a back surgery and my father was sick from cancer, it was a very stressful time. I was in a panic. It helped me immediately (though I know it is supposed to take a few weeks). I remained on it for a few months as I dealt with the trauma of losing a parent. Then tapered off and went on about my business for a year. I’ve returned to the psych because I have regular anxiety and mild depression, he prescribed lexipro, I took that for 4 days and got increased anxiety and diarrhea, I decided to try to go back on the buspirone because I know that worked for me in the past. Here’s hoping it works again!”

Nat2019 · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: “Thank God for Buspar. I take Effexor 100mg twice daily, but it wasn't working like it once did. My doc added on Buspar 10mg three times a day in June, but thanks to my anxiety I was too scared to try it. I eventually had gotten so bad that I said screw it and took it towards the end of September. The first day I took it, BOOM, felt intensely better, and I truly didn't think that was even possible. It has changed my life for the GOOD. I am SUCH a nicer person now, anxiety is TONS better, and my libido is FABULOUS. Do not hesitate to try Buspar. It is the BEST, for me anyway. I was a miserable cow for almost six months. My anxiety was at its all time worst. Thanks to Buspar, I am a NEW Person.... To the person reading this, you CAN get better... FIGHT until you do... You are not alone!!! Much Love”

kkheflin3 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have been taking this medicine BuSpar for about 8 months. Because I also suffer from Bipolar I disorder I also take Lamictal, Provigil, and Seroquel. I take the Buspar three times a day and it took about a month to "kick in." I've been on several of the benzodiazepine group before for anxiety (Valium, Xanax, Ativan) and the only advantage to those is that you can take as needed for anxiety and they work quickly. They are also highly addictive. Buspar is not addictive but must be taken regularly--not just for an anxiety attack. It doesn't "work" for an immediate attack. But if you take it regularly three times a day you won't have anxiety and you won't need the benzos. I think it is wonderful!”

Mr K · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I started taking Buspirone last year 5 mg a day for BPD EUPD ADHD then I stopped now for the past 2 months. I take 5 mg 3 times a day my anxiety and my panic attacks are controllable I've tried many medications as doctors don't give benzodiazepines and this is the best alternative. I don't agree with a lot of the anti-anxiety medications out there. I personally I think this is a godsend. I tried over 60 different medications and doctors call it trial and error a phase I dislike. I will carry on taking this medication and I can lead a better life than I did before I was taking his medication”

Luke · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2020

For Anxiety: “Buspirone has been a life saver. I'm on 15 mg just began taking 2 weeks ago but noticed changes immediately. I'm a lot less focused on negativity and can blow off those unwanted thoughts. This stuff really works.”

Scottroxit · Taken for less than 1 month May 21, 2021

For Anxiety: “So my side effects of buspirone is that I am sick, just sick all over, my head feels sick, stomach feels sick, I am irritable, I can't sleep, I am shaky and my heart races. I feel as close to death as you can get without being dead.”

WapoIts · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 27, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “It's an excuse drug for doctor's to write because, because the drugs that actually work are controlled substances. Buspar does very little for anxiety and, depression. I feel you are better off smoking or drinking to calm you down. Thanks to government regulations everyone has to suffer.”

Nervous Rex · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 12, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Back in the early 90's I had been going through a few years of being a hypochondriac. I had had a severe depression, and just when I was starting to feel good, my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer and only lived about 4 more months. A year or so later I started to feel bumps and lumps and all sorts of "things"..driving to my doctors, walk-in clinics and hospitals over and over again...just to find out I was ok and this circle went on and off from 1988 - 1991. Thank goodness my doctor gave me a script for buspar. I don't remember what dose I was on. It wasn't a high dose. But 3 weeks after taking it I literally woke up one day feeling really good and realising I didn't have to fear being sick the way I had been. Like night and day. I have never been on an antidepressant or any similar drug that had such a major and wonderful effect. I didn't feel high or not myself, just the opposite. Please try it if you have crippling anxiety!”

ScooterO · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “For the first month it had no effect but after that, the results have been more than satisfactory. Before being prescribed Buspar, I was prescribed only Klonopin while was effective it had worse side effects. For me or anyone like me I cannot recommend this drug enough, it's actually changed my life, for the better.”

Bubbz · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “So far I've been on Buspar 10mg twice a day for a week. My anxiety is much better than it was. I talked to my psychiatrist about taking the evening dose early afternoon and she said it was ok. As long as I stick to the same times everyday it will be ok. So I take my 1st dose at 6:30am and my 2nd dose around 1:30pm. Side effects are very mild. I take my 2nd dose early because If I take it later in the evening I have a hard time sleeping. I'm still getting used to the medicine. I take vistral 25mg if I get anxious still, but overall my anxiety is much better than it was.”

Mg · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 31, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “My doctor said that is one of those drugs that work well or not at all. I was originally put on Prozac for anxiety, but couldn't tolerate the side effects. Lot of muscle twitching and jerky movements. I switched to Buspar and it worked great. I did have a problem with parasthesia for a while, and took gabapentin to relieve it. That went away after a couple of months, and I no longer take the gabapetin. My anxiety has virtually stopped and I feel really good. I would recommend giving it a try, and giving it time to work.”

Rooster February 25, 2020

For Anxiety: “After 6 months of meth use my brain chemistry changed dramatically. I went from a successful sales team manager to a mental wreck who couldn’t stand in line at a store for 2 minutes without having a panic attack. After a brief hospitalization I finally decided it was time to fix it. So I saw a psychiatrist who put me on buspar. With my history of drug abuse, he decided to steer clear of benzos. Prozac, which I had successfully taken in the past, made my anxiety 10x worse. After taking my 1st dose of Buspar, my shaking ceased. I’m quite familiar with the placebo effect and I guarantee you that was not what was happening. Even though all pharmacology info available says it’s not immediately effective for acute anxiety, it worked wonders for me. Maybe it’s the “re-wiring” of my brain after the meth use, maybe I’m just nuts. So far, it has re-introduced me to life’s pleasures. I even felt positive ASMR (Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR)) effects for the 1st time in years.”

Chas · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I took Buspar for two days. On the first day my sleep was not deep and a I had weird dreams. On the second day I had a massive panic attack after my third dose of 5mg, and was unable to sleep at all that night. It was a horrendous experience. It is an awful drug for me.”

Katie the grad student · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 27, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have anxiety from the time my eyes open to the time I close them to sleep (if I can). When I was prescribed buspar 10mg. My whole world changed. I can now function and my social anxiety is much better. My OCD is moderately managed along with therapy. But the anxiety is tremendously better. I do need to take it with food or I get very tried. But with a little food I don’t notice it. And it’s perfect for helping me sleep at night. I have panic attacks far less often now too and I’m more comfortable with this medication than the highly addictive benzodiazepines.”

Anonymous September 30, 2008

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I've been taking Buspar for two years to control the symptoms of anxiety. Buspar has worked well for me. I had strong physical sensations of anxiety such as a "knot in my stomach" and hot flushes (can't be menopause because I'm a guy). Also Buspar helps me control my thoughts that some terrible event is just around the corner and I've got to do something to prepare for this unknown event. I've not had any side effects.”

jah123 December 7, 2013

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Buspar has completely and utterly changed my life. I have struggled with generalized anxiety ever since I was a child, and I've never been able to find a permanent solution. I have taken Xanax and Klonopin, but those are short-acting, and you build resistance to them quickly, and they're habit-forming. Now that I'm on Buspar, I have no anxiety. None. Nada. Zip. No more butterflies in my stomach, no more hyperventilating, no more irrational thoughts. I can fall asleep at night no problem, and wake up in the morning and be excited about my day. It takes a while to start noticing (3 weeks for me), but it's completely worth the wait. I'm finally excited about my future, and I finally feel in control of my life.”