User Reviews for Buprenorphine

Also known as: Belbuca, Butrans, Sublocade Buprenex

Buprenorphine has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 851 ratings on Drugs.com. 59% of those users who reviewed Buprenorphine reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Chronic Pain
7.1
Summary of Buprenorphine reviews 6.7 851 reviews

Reviews for Buprenorphine

Rome · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2021

Sublocade (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “Got my first 300 injection today about 5 hours ago after only taking 8 mg today and taking 32 mg daily until today for over 20 years and I feel normal. I got the lidocaine injection a few minutes before to numb it and I felt nothing. I’m hoping to jump off after one or 2 or maybe even after the 100mg one which is the third. Tired of being on subs and feeling depressed and numb and angry and gaining weight and constipated and losing teeth thus awful drug! Heard it’s easier to come off of than the sublingual buprenorphine so fingers crossed”

Gigi May 6, 2021

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: “I've been on belbuca about 3 years the 450. My pain doctor was closed suddenly and I'm in the process of finding a new one. A doctor gave me percocet 10 to use till I get to my new doctor but couldn't prescribe belbuca because of all the regulations. The Belbucca causes no high and actually for me works better for my pain. I was given morphine at one time and I know I shouldn't but weaned myself off it because it made me feel like a zombie. I know it doesn't work for everyone but it's been the best for me and I have a lot if pain issues. I didn't take morphine long but it was horrible so I do prefer the belbuca.”

Mo · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 6, 2021

Subutex (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “I was on subutex for 3 years because Suboxone gives me migraines. I was an IV heroin addict for 6 years before starting subutex. In 3 years I had zero cravings, got my life together, and had a beautiful son who experienced minimal withdrawal symptoms after being born. Subutex changed my life. The only negative side effects were a lack of sex drive and constipation. I weaned from 16mg to .25 mg in about 5 months. I stopped taking subutex 18 days ago. Withdrawal symptoms didn't start until day 7. Withdrawal was minimal after tapering so low. I am experiencing some depression now, but the cravings are non existent still. Subutex gave me the clean time I needed to stay clean after subutex. I would recommend this medication to anyone trying to stop taking opioids or heroin. Many of my friends from addiction are now functional adults as well. Subutex and Suboxone are miracle medications.”

Kingbuba · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 24, 2021

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: “It has done well with pain but due to tolerance I only have one dose increase left. Also, it has caused TERRIBLE insomnia. Sometimes it is every other night sometimes it is staying awake 2 of 3 days, which worsens the pain. I will take it as long as I can. Above 900 mcg it messes with your heart’s QT interval.”

Missy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: “I have been stuck with horrible chronic pain from PLDS (post-Lyme disease syndrome). first I was prescribed oxycodone, I hated the side effects. Apathy, brain fog, severe constipation, sweats, nausea, headaches... I was miserable. I fired my pain Dr and signed up for a chronic pain MAT program. They prescribed Belbuca and I’m very satisfied with my experience. It helps with pain as well as the oxy did, but the apathy and brain fog are pretty much gone. On my correct dose I have no nausea, headaches or other icky side effects. I’m free from the endless rollercoaster of pain and withdrawals between doses, and having to make sure I have opiates with me at all times just in case. A word of caution regarding the bad reviews. Some of them may not have given the medication enough time to find the right dose for them. Others it may not work for, but for me Belbuca controls pain and doesn’t make you high - to me that’s a good thing, I can be a full participant in my life again.”

Sevy January 9, 2020

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: “I like many others here have chronic pain 21 yrs now lots of pain meds and government decide that we have to have our meds lowered because of people who became addicted. If you have real pain you don't become addicted. Anyways I am now on belbuca a massive dose twice daily along with oxycodone 4 times a day and muscle relaxers. They have to change laws for those of us who have chronic pain and will the rest of our lives, because we really aren't living! We're existing in pain which is no way to live, as I have no life anymore .”

bkuyk369 December 9, 2020

Sublocade (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “I was on Suboxone for roughly 5 years after being addicted to opiates. Suboxone was a life saver but was also such a pain in the ass. I wanted to get off badly, but was so terrified of the withdrawals that everyone on the web said could last 1-6 months. So my Dr. suggested Sublocade, and I agreed to give it a try. The injection stung but I immediately felt great, and no issues going from Suboxone (8mg’s a day) to Sublocade. After being on Sublocade for about a year feeling so much better I started reading all the great reviews about Sublocade stating the withdrawals are very minimal if any at all, I plan to take my last injection on the 13th of December and I know I will do great! I will update in a couple months. Wish me luck.”

Abandoned Pain Patient · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 27, 2019

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: “13+ years being STABLE on 150 + MME oxycodone and Morphine. Dr. Retires and the APRN I was left with refused to continue my care. Forced into a Pain Clinic and due to the torturous CDC “guidelines” and the FAKE opioid crisis (Fentanyl/Heroin is the real problem) I was given Belbuca as the ONLY option. I’m now at max dose of 900 mcg. It does work on nerve pain but has zero affect on bone pain. Headache is common and severe in the beginning but they do go away. Supposed to last 12 hours but consistently last only 6. After only a few months the dosage stops working. Now I’m at the top with no where to go. It also costs over $900.00 a MONTH. My old reliable meds cost $7 and $10 bucks a month. THANKS A LOT ! You’ve successfully DESTROYED patients lives, MANY have committed suicide due to your reckless recommendations. DAMN YOU ALL!”

Bree January 24, 2021

Sublocade (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “This medication Sublocade saved my life!!! 14 years I lost to heroin addiction! I had tried suboxone, methadone, rehabs, drug courts I tried it all with short success! I used sublocade for an entire year on a grant knowing there was no way I could ever afford it. But I am living proof there is a new and successful way to get your life back. I not only feel the best I've felt since I tried heroin I also have my 4 year old child back. I will forever thank the maker of this miracle medication and I hope someone out there considering the chance to take this....to do it and not for one month like an entire year! My first 2 injections were 300 mg the next 10 months my injection was 100 mg! The grant is now finished and I have been without any opiate blocker for 6 days and feel the same as with the treatment! I have not had one craving one thought one withdrawal so far! I wish anyone out there good luck on there journey to recovery !”

Jane Doe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 14, 2019

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: “My insurance company just canceled me. Pretty sure it was do to the HUGE cost of this medication. Different pharmacies charge from $900 to $1500 per month. I have NEVER abused any medications. Ever. Yet I am made to feel like some kind of drug addict. I have had multiple surgeries on my knees, shoulders, ankle, back etc. Metal Plates and Pins. This drug gives me headaches, constipation, and I can't sleep. I am exhausted all the time. What the Government has done to people who need pain medication is ABUSE. They need to go after the illegal Heroin, Fentanyl, and whatever else. Leave the people who REALLY do need pain medication alone. Let our doctor's do their jobs! This drug is a joke. And yet again the pharmaceutical companies are getting rich off of Americans who have worked their whole lives. I just want to be able to function again. Belbuca is not the answer for my pain. Maybe it works for others.”

HD · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2020

Sublocade (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “Sublocade saved my life! I was on suboxone for 2 years and my Dr suggested I switch to sublocade, I was sold when he told me I’d only have to come in once every 4 weeks. After getting 3 sublocade injections I stopped cold turkey because I just wanted my life back. To my surprise it has now been 4 months since my last dose and I have had ZERO withdrawals, that’s right, none!!! I had tried to ween off of suboxone and even the 2mg shift made me ill but stopping sublocade cold turkey I had no withdrawals. It’s seriously a miracle. If you have been wanting to quit but you can’t bare the withdrawals, or if you’re feeling hopeless that you’re going to be on opiate blockers for the rest of your life I strongly encourage you to get 1 sublocade injection and see how you feel. Out of 12 of my Drs patients who have stopped sublocade cold turkey not one of them has been back to the clinic, they’re all living opiate free lives now, including me! It has truly given me my life back.”

Mr. C · Taken for 10 years or more December 3, 2019

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: “They began with 450 but work Comp insurance would not cover it. Work Comp finally covered it in April, when raised to 750. It is not effective & I am in constant pain. I want the 900 to see if it would work. Before CDC decided we were all addicts & abusers, I had finally got meds to balance (Morphone, Oxycodone & Norco) to live as close to a normal life as is possible. Now I take Belbuca - it does not work! It took years to get meds balanced. The media lied and chronic pain sufferers are paying for it! Now insurance adjusts the Rx’s written by Dr, changing the amounts! INSURANCE STOPPED APPROVAL OF ALL MY PAIN MEDICATIONS FOR TWO WEEKS! Called attorney & said not sure life was worth living in such pain — got meds approved iso I wouldn’t end myself cuz pain doesn’t stop…EVER. LAWS NEED TO CHANGE FOR CHRONIC PAIN SUFFERERS!”

W.b. June 9, 2020

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Pain: “Belbuca is expensive for and has a horrible, horrible side effect of not sleep and my knees are absolutely killing me. Worst pain pill I've ever bought that I paid money at a drugstore for as much money as I paid it's insane how expensive it is. We need to take our government back over for people in pain.”

NatesMawMaw August 9, 2019

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: “I am upset, depressed, angry because of Belbuca. I was so excited to start Belbuca. I was on Fentanyl patch for 14 years. It was perfect EXCEPT it would occasionally come off. I’ve been on Belbuca for 5 weeks now. It has only taken my pain from a 9 to 7.5. I’m on 600 strength. I have broken Harrington rods in my back and nerves & scar tissue has grown around them. I wish the people complaining about opioids use lived 1 week my pain. The secret they have to think the pain will never leave. They have to know just 3 blocks away at a pharmacy is something to help them BUT they can’t have it. IF you are reading this and U can help people who R suffering needlessly...plz help with a voice. ”

Peachfire · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2019

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: “This medication Belbuca can & is helping me to control my pain and lowering my dependence on the previous meds such as morphine/Oxicontin/Oxycodone. Please DON'T READ the negative reviews that I did and scared me so much to start these meds! Unlike the government who thinks we all fit into one box, we DO NOT! Please give these meds a chance, they don't make you get high (euphoria) like pills will. So if you are a TRUE pain patient, try this & don't turn it down because the bad reviews out there. I was scared to take it, but it has given me my life back. Due to the "guidelines" which have become the rule book. I am not mentally addicted to these medications, however, my body is. It is impossible for me, due to severe nerve damage. To ever live opiod free. However, when they cut my meds in half & I was forced to "medically resign" from my job because my pain levels were through the roof! I am ALWAYS in pain. Belbuca has given me my life back!”

Brian · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2020

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: “Ive tried Belbuca 75 mg patches for twenty five days now. It simply will not stick to the inside of a "moistened cheek" as indicated. If it does stick for more than 5 minutes it then releases and sticks to a tooth. I know it is not being absorbed because I can't feel anything. I honestly don't understand why they made this.”

Highway · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2021

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: “Have not tried yet but I have been abandoned by pain doctors and don’t know what to do. Withdrawal debilitating pain I can’t go on like this. I do know people say that film eats your stomach and teeth. The Laws on opioids need to change today. The pain situation is hopeless.”

Nh · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 1, 2020

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Chronic Pain: “I am now on 750 mg of belbuca. Been taking it for about 8 months now and it still doesn't help the severe pain I feel everyday. I understand that all the doctors want to get you off the oxycodones but how can you handle the pain without it. I also take tizanidine and gabapentin.. and some days the pain is too much.”

Married28 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 6, 2020

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Pain: “I am SO glad I looked at these reviews. I thought I was just being whiney about the effectiveness of this med, because Belbuca is barely taking my pain from a level 7 down to a 5. I promise I am not one to exaggerate my pain or complain but this med is not very much help for me at least. The package is difficult to open. It’s thin and you have to be careful when cutting it so that you don’t cut thru the patch. Pharmacies don’t keep much (if any) stock of Belbuca. Be prepared to wait for the pharmacy to order it. I don’t have a problem with the patch not sticking (thank goodness). I can sense minor relief in about 45-90 mins. And the relief does not last for 12 hour doses. ...unfortunately. I have broken Harrington rods in my back I’ve been in pain management for the last 23 years. I just always figured they would have some type of great miracle med for serious chronic pain... this Belbuca certainly not it...for me but I hope it helps you.”

Markie September 19, 2020

Sublocade (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “Update: Stopped Sublocade injection in early March. It’s now been seven months since my last injection. My opiate issue was I was on heroin, then methadone, then suboxone since the late 1990s. I was very stable on the methadone and suboxone , and was on 8 mgs when I started sublocade in summer 2019. I had 7 or 8 injections up till early March 2020. Then , I decided to stop the injection to see if I could finally get off the merry-go-round. I have to say it was pretty much a piece of cake.... mild symptoms here and there but NOTHING compared to suboxone withdrawal. I essentially had some sweating here and there, some lack of energy sometimes but was pretty much normal. Libido returned after about 3 months (thank god) and now I think I’m pretty much back to normal. Slept every night during entire time. So happy”

Creole Queen March 10, 2021

Sublocade (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “I was on opioids for 8 years, I recently checked myself into a facility for 30 days which had me on a total of 12mg Subs a day. I recently received my sublocade injection 2 weeks ago.There was a slight sensation upon injection (lasted maybe 20 seconds), which I felt at at the end. I haven't had any cravings at all what so ever. My injection site is perfectly fine (I have very sensitive skin). Little bump that's it. I feel so free! I hope this information inspires someone on their journey or about to start.”

Markie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 22, 2020

Sublocade (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “I’ve been on heroin, then methadone and finally suboxone for nearly 2 decades. My dose has been one 8mg strip a day for several years. I had nasty withdrawals trying to lower my dose. I became resigned to a life long dependence on suboxone. About 9 months ago switched to Sublocade injection. Two months at 300mgs then four months of 100mgs. I decided to discontinue the injections in early March. It’s now late June and Im finally off bupe . I have to say I had very little withdrawals . It almost seems too good to be true. All the lumps from the injections have finally disappeared, and I think I’m about 95% through it. Very very easy kick compared to trying to wean down off Suboxone strips. I’ve been 3 1/2 months without an injection and I’ve achieved what I thought was impossible. I thought I would be hooked on Suboxone strips for the rest of my life.”

Jersey Grl · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2020

Sublocade (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “I have been on medication for opiate dependence since 2007. The majority of that time spent on Suboxone 8mg. But as much as 16mg daily and for a short time 4mg daily. About 6 weeks ago my doctor suggested Sublocade due to the fact that I was unable to make it to my WEEKLY appts for a Suboxone Rx and treatment with Sublocade meant I only needed to come into the office monthly. With some hesitation and reluctance I finally agreed, as the alternative was discharge from my program. I understood my biggest fears to be not having the medication in my possession to feed the habit of taking something EVERYDAY. And also the fear that it wouldn't last 30 days, being sick with withdrawals and not having anything to stop that. Well, I was beyond pleasantly surprised by how my body took to this drug. I cannot say enough positive things about the medication. I would recommend this medication to anybody who has found trouble with the alternative, Suboxone.”

Free · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2019

Sublocade (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “I have tried everything to stop using heroin. 2 grams a day for 15 years. I’ve done multiple rehabs, cold turkey, methadone, suboxone strips. You name it and I have failed at it. I got 1 shot of the 300 mg and have never gotten another shot. It’s 4 months later and I HAVE HAD ZERO WITHDRAWALS!!! This drug is amazing.”

Skeetz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 29, 2020

Belbuca (buprenorphine) for Pain: “Was on the Belbuca 7 day patch but suffered from withdrawals every 5.5 days. If not complete withdrawals then pain all day in the sixth day. Got tired of it and changed to the 12 hour film. No matter how hard you try, it sticks to your teeth and takes about an hour to go away. I found it took care of my sciatica but didn't do a thing for stretched nerve pain. It would break through the Belbuca at about 11 am and screaming breakout pain would be with me for 12 hours. So I couldn't tell if it worked at all. Either my breakout pain was a hundred and the Belbuca was a ten, but I could not tell if I was on the medication or not. I hurt every day.”

Anth January 19, 2021

Sublocade (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “I struggled with a severe heroin/fentanyl addiction for 10 plus years. I had been to at least 14 rehabs not counting detoxes and incarcerations. I've overdosed so many times that I had lost count. I had hit my "rock bottom" and made the decision to stop only to later relapse and find out that my bottom could always be a dug a little deeper. I had truly lost the will to live. I had destroyed everything that I had ever loved or cared about. I had contemplated and attempted suicide via o.d.ing. I've went the suboxone and methadone routes to inevitably end up right back where I started. I was stuck in what seemed to be a ground hogs day in the deepest crevices of mental, physical, and emotional never ending nightmare. I came to truly understand through witnessing the outcomes of other addicts that my two options were death or prison. I've been on sublocade for I believe 11 months now. I have a life that I am grateful for today. No NA rehab or incarceration involved. This medication saved my life.”

AddictedToItAll January 24, 2021

Sublocade (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “I had been prescribed Suboxone for opioid use disorder for the last 5 years. I got the sublocade shot 3 months ago and I have to say, my life is overall better since switching to the shot. I never woke up feeling like this, normal, on suboxone, until after I had taken a dosage. Now there are no ups and downs. I feel the same all the time, no matter what, thanks to the injection. I got on the injection because my husband was abusing part of my prescription of suboxone so in order for me to get out of this cycle, my doctor recommended the injection after I finally came clean about him. This way, no one can take advantage of me for having pills they want. I can’t say enough good about sublocade. It is impossible to abuse given that it has to be administered by a health care professional, there are absolutely no ups and downs, you feel the same normal way all the time, and it’s only a once a month commitment.”

Dooder March 29, 2020

Sublocade (buprenorphine) for Opiate Dependence: “I have been a heroin/ benzo/ whatever you got type of drug user for over 25 years. Done methadone/ suboxone maintenance for years at a time over the years. Started a buprenorphine program and my Dr. told me about Sublocade. Decided to give it a try..... My first 2 months were 300 mg shots. I started to participate and get involved in 12 step meetings again, exercising daily and other spiritual type exercises, meditation etc... Got a 100 mg shot my 3rd month and decided to try to just let myself detox after the 30 day shot wore off. I had extra suboxone/ bupe just in case. That was 3 months ago. Never needed the aid of the Suboxone / buprenorphine...and NO noticeable detox, WHATSOEVER! Take it from someone with a 25 year habit, hope to die, heroin addict (Anybody who knows me can vouch...) if you want freedom from active drug addiction...Sublocade will take you there but it's up to you to stay there. It works if you work it. Amazing drug.”