What are the different brands of buprenorphine?
What are the different brands of buprenorphine? What are the different dosage forms? What are they used for?
Buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist used to treat opioid use disorder and severe pain. It is available in a number of dosage forms under the brand names Belbuca, Brixadi, Buprenex, Butrans, Probuphine (discontinued), Sublocade, and Subutex (discontinued).
Buprenorphine was first approved for medical use in the United States in 1981. It belongs to the class of drugs called narcotic analgesics and is listed under Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) due to its potential for abuse.
Buprenorphine Formulations Available in the United States
|Brand||Dosage Form||Administration||Use||Company||Approved||Generic Available|
|Brixadi||extended release injection (subcutaneous)||
every week or
|opioid use disorder||Braeburn Inc.||2023||No|
|Sublocade||extended release injection (subcutaneous)||every month||opioid use disorder||Indivior Inc.||2017||No|
|implant (subdermal)||every six months||opioid dependence||Titan Pharmaceuticals, Inc.||2016||No|
|Belbuca||buccal film||once daily or every 12 hours||severe pain||BioDelivery Sciences International Inc.||2015||No|
|Butrans||transdermal system||every seven days||severe pain||Purdue Pharma LP||2010||Yes|
|sublingual tablets||once daily||opioid dependence||Indivior Inc.||2002||Yes|
|Buprenex||injection (intravenous or intramuscular)||every 6 hours||severe pain||Indivior Inc.||1981||Yes|
For detailed information on buprenorphine dosage and administration, see Buprenorphine Dosage.
Related medical questions
- Can you take Subutex with opioids in your system?
- How long does Subutex stay in your system?
- Subutex vs Suboxone: What's the difference between them?
- Why was Subutex discontinued?
- What happens if you swallow Subutex?
- How long do you keep Subutex under your tongue?
- Does Subutex make you sleepy?
- How long does opioid withdrawal last?
- How long does buprenorphine stay in your system?
- Round white pill with 8 on one side and an arrow on the other side. Is it Subutex 8 mg?
- What is the difference between Sublocade and Brixadi?
Related support groups
- Subutex (50 questions, 1,219 members)
- Buprenorphine (34 questions, 326 members)
- Butrans (34 questions, 327 members)
- Sublocade (19 questions, 41 members)
- Belbuca (8 questions, 41 members)
- Probuphine (4 questions, 5 members)
- Buprenex (4 questions, 15 members)
- Pain (2,202 questions, 11,824 members)
- Chronic Pain (274 questions, 3,301 members)
- Opiate Dependence (149 questions, 2,351 members)
- Opiate Dependence - Maintenance (16 questions, 28 members)