What are the different brands of buprenorphine?
Medically reviewed by Judith Stewart, BPharm. Last updated on March 31, 2021.
What are the different brands of buprenorphine? What are the different dosage forms? What are they used for?
Buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist used to treat opioid use disorder and severe pain. It is available in a number of dosage forms under the brand names Sublocade, Probuphine, Belbuca, Butrans, Buprenex, and Subutex (discontinued).
Buprenorphine was first approved for medical use in the United States in 1981. It belongs to the class of drugs called narcotic analgesics and is listed under Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) due to its potential for abuse.
Buprenorphine Formulations Available in the United States
|Brand||Dosage Form||Administration||Use||Company||Approved||Generic Available|
|Sublocade||extended release injection (subcutaneous)||every month||opioid use disorder||Indivior Inc.||2017||No|
|implant (subdermal)||every six months||opioid dependence||Titan Pharmaceuticals, Inc.||2016||No|
|Belbuca||buccal film||once daily or every 12 hours||severe pain||BioDelivery Sciences International Inc.||2015||No|
|Butrans||transdermal system||every seven days||severe pain||Purdue Pharma LP||2010||Yes|
|sublingual tablets||once daily||opioid dependence||Indivior Inc.||2002||Yes|
|Buprenex||injection (intravenous or intramuscular)||every 6 hours||severe pain||Indivior Inc.||1981||Yes|
For detailed information on buprenorphine dosage and administration, see Buprenorphine Dosage.
Brixadi (buprenorphine) extended release injection (subcutaneous) was granted tentative approval for opioid use disorder by the FDA on December 21, 2018, however it is not eligible for marketing in the United States because of exclusivity considerations. If Brixadi does receive final approval, it will provide a long-acting injectable buprenorphine alternative to Sublocade, in both weekly and monthly formulations.
Related Medical Questions
- How long does Suboxone stay in your system?
- Sublocade vs Suboxone - What's the difference between them?
- Is Sublocade covered by Medicaid?
- Is Sublocade an addictive drug?
- Who makes Sublocade in the U.S?
- How does Sublocade work?
- Does Sublocade need to be refrigerated?
- How is Sublocade administered?
- Is buprenorphine an opiate / narcotic?
- Does Suboxone help with pain?
- Is buprenorphine the same as Suboxone?
- Can you take Subutex with opioids in your system?
- What are the different types of buprenorphine/naloxone?
- How long does Sublocade last?
- How long do you take buprenorphine for?
Related Support Groups
- Sublocade (18 questions, 22 members)
- Buprenorphine (35 questions, 303 members)
- Belbuca (10 questions, 34 members)
- Buprenex (6 questions, 15 members)
- Subutex (47 questions, 1194 members)
- Butrans (32 questions, 316 members)
- Probuphine (2 questions, 5 members)
- Pain (1873 questions, 11331 members)
- Opiate Dependence (129 questions, 2300 members)
- Chronic Pain (192 questions, 3108 members)
- Opiate Dependence - Maintenance (13 questions, 19 members)