Is Belbuca a controlled substance?
Medically reviewed by Judith Stewart, BPharm. Last updated on Feb 23, 2021.
Yes. Belbuca (buprenorphine) is a schedule III controlled substance.
What is Belbuca?
Belbuca is a partial opioid agonist indicated for the management of pain severe enough to require daily, around-the-clock, long-term opioid treatment and for which alternative treatment options are inadequate.
Belbuca is a buccal film formulation designed to allow the active ingredient buprenorphine to be absorbed through the inner lining of the cheek and into the bloodstream. Belbuca is administered every twelve hours. It is not indicated for use as an 'as-needed' analgesic.
What is a Schedule III Controlled Substance?
Drugs placed in Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) have a moderate potential for abuse and dependence.
Schedule III drugs have less abuse potential than Schedule II drugs (which includes most opioid analgesics).
Examples of Schedule III drugs include codeine (<90 mg per dosage unit), ketamine, anabolic steroids, testosterone, and buprenorphine.
- Belbuca should be stored securely, out of sight and reach of children, and in a location not accessible by others, including visitors to the home.
- Selling or giving Belbuca away may harm others and is against the law.
Related Medical Questions
- How long does Suboxone stay in your system?
- Is buprenorphine an opiate / narcotic?
- Does Suboxone help with pain?
- Is buprenorphine the same as Suboxone?
- Can you take Subutex with opioids in your system?
- What are the different brands of buprenorphine?
- What are the different types of buprenorphine/naloxone?
- How long does Sublocade last?
- Is Sublocade a controlled substance?
- How long do you take buprenorphine for?
- Is Buprenex safe for humans?
- How long does Sublocade take to work?
- Does Sublocade have naloxone in it?
- Is Buprenex the same as buprenorphine?
- How long does the Probuphine implant last?
- Belbuca Information for Consumers
- Belbuca Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Belbuca (detailed)