Does Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) show up on a drug test?
What does Vyvanse test positive for on a drug test?
Yes, Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) can cause a positive test for amphetamine on a standard work or U.S. Department of Transportation urine drug screening.
The most common drug screening panels test urine for a range of different drugs.
The top 5 substances that are tested for are:
- phencyclidine (PCP)
- marijuana (THC).
If you are having a drug screening it will most likely include a test for amphetamines.
The 5 panel test, which is often called a “DOT drug test”, tests urine for the above 5 substances, then there is also a 7 or 12 panel test that includes a greater range of substances that are tested for. The drug testing companies can also make drug testing kits tailored to a specific workplace, so not all drug panels tests are the same.
What is Vyvanse drug test detection time?
Once you take Vyvanse the average time it takes the active drug to leave the body, and be undetectable in a urine drug test is roughly 2.5 days (60 hours), but this time can vary from person-to-person, depending on:
- dose and how frequently it is taken
- other medications that you take
- kidney function.
The average time it stays in the body is worked out from the drugs half life.
In adults the half life is roughly 11 hours, you multiply this by 5.5 to work out how long on average it takes for most of it to leave the body, which in this case is 60 hours or 2.5 days (11 X 5.5 = 60 hours).
What if I am prescribed Vyvanse and have a drug screening?
If you are being prescribed this for hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or moderate to severe binge eating disorder, you should inform your employer in advance that you are prescribed this medicine.
If you have already had your drug screening and Vyvanse causes a positive test for amphetamine, you should be given the opportunity to provide proof of prescription, or have a letter from your prescriber verifying you are legitimately taking Vyvanse as a prescribed medication for your medical condition.
- Vyvanse can cause a positive test for amphetamines in drug screenings.
- Vyvanse's average time to leave the body is 2.5 days but varies person-to-person.
- If you test positive for amphetamines in a drug screening you should provide proof to your employer that you are legitimately taking Vyvanse as a prescribed medication.
- FDA Vyvanse Prescription Information: [Accessed October 27, 2021] https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2017/208510lbl.pdf
- Vyvanse Professional Medication Information: [Accessed October 27, 2021] https://www.drugs.com/pro/vyvanse.html
- How long does Vyvanse stay in your system? [Accessed October 27, 2021] https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/long-vyvanse-stay-system-3542662/
- U.S. Department of transportation, Office of Drug and Alcohol Policy & Compliance [Accessed October 27, 2021] https://www.transportation.gov/odapc/employee#drugalcohol
Related medical questions
- Adderall vs Vyvanse - What's the difference between them?
- How long does Vyvanse stay in your system?
- How soon for Vyvanse to start working and how long does it last?
- Is Vyvanse a controlled substance / narcotic drug?
- Is it okay to take Vyvanse while on birth control?
- Ritalin vs Vyvanse - What's the difference between them?
- Modafinil vs Adderall: What's the difference?
- Focalin vs Adderall: What's the difference?
- How much Adderall can I take?
- Ritalin vs Adderall: What is the difference?
- Concerta vs Adderall - What's the difference between them?