How is Mydayis different from Adderall XR?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on April 8, 2021.
- Mydayis is formulated to last up to 16 hours, while Adderall XR lasts up to 12 hours. Both products are extended-release products given once daily to help control ADHD and contain similar active ingredients such as mixed amphetamine salts.
- Adderall XR can be used in patients 6 years of age and older, while Mydayis is used in patients 13 years and older.
- Mydayis capsule offers a triple-bead release formulation, while Adderall XR capsules contains a two bead formulation for pulsed delivery to deliver the product slowly over time.
- Mydayis comes as a 12 mg, 25 mg 37.5 mg and 50 mg capsule, while Adderall XR comes as a 5 mg 10 mg, 15 mg, 20 mg 25 mg or 30 mg capsule.
- Adderall XR is now available in a generic, cost-saving option, but a generic for Mydayis is not on the market yet.
Mydayis and Adderall XR are both long-acting, once daily stimulants indicated for the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Mydayis (amphetamine and dextroamphetamine) was first FDA-approved in June 2017 and Adderall XR receive clearance from the FDA in 2001.
How are prices different between Mydayis and Adderall XR?
Adderall XR can be purchased in a cost-saving generic formulation, but Mydayis is not yet available as a generic option. Using the generic for Adderall XR, if approved by your doctor, could save you hundreds of dollars per month.
Are Mydayis and Adderall XR formulations different?
Both Mydayis and Adderall XR come in special formulation to slowly release the medication over time.
Mydayis has a triple-bead release formulation for long action.
- It contains equal amounts (by weight) of four salts: dextroamphetamine sulfate and amphetamine sulfate, dextroamphetamine saccharate and amphetamine aspartate monohydrate.
- This results in a 3:1 mixture of dextro-to levo-amphetamine base equivalent.
Adderall XR combines the neutral sulfate salts of dextroamphetamine and amphetamine, with the dextro isomer of amphetamine saccharate and d,l-amphetamine aspartate monohydrate.
- Adderall XR capsule contains two types of drug-containing beads designed to give a double-pulsed delivery of amphetamines.
- This action prolongs the release of amphetamine from Adderall XR compared to the conventional immediate-release tablet formulation.
This is not all the information you need to know about Mydayis or Adderall XR for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full product information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Mydayis (mixed salts of a single-entity amphetamine product) extended-release capsules. Shire. Lexington, MA. Accessed April 8, 2021 at http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/Mydayis_USA_ENG.pdf
- Adderall XR (mixed salts of a single-entity amphetamine product)
extended release capsules. Shire. Lexington, MA. Accessed April 8, 2021 at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2019/021303s034lbl.pdf
Related Medical Questions
- How long does Adderall stay in your system (urine drug test)?
- Adderall vs Vyvanse - What's the difference between them?
- Modafinil vs Adderall: What's the difference?
- Focalin vs Adderall: What's the difference?
- Ritalin vs Adderall: What is the difference?
- Concerta vs Adderall - What's the difference between them?
- Strattera vs Adderall: What is the difference?
- Can Adderall cause constipation?
- Is Adzenys XR-ODT the same as Adderall XR?