Is Adzenys XR-ODT the same as Adderall XR?
No, Adzenys XR-ODT is the first extended-release orally disintegrating amphetamine tablet approved by the FDA after it was established that it was bioequivalent to Adderall XR (mixed amphetamine salts extended-release capsule). Adzenys XR-ODT is a patented formulation and not a generic of Adderall XR. Adzenys XR-ODT is a mixture of immediate-release and polymer-coated, delayed-release resin particles.
Orally disintegrating tablets are formulated to dissolve in the mouth, rather than being swallowed whole like tablets or capsules. Extended-release tablets release the active drug throughout the day. Adzenys XR-ODT dissolves quickly in the mouth and can be taken without water.
What is Adzenys XR-ODT?
Once-daily Adzenys XR-ODT (generic name: amphetamine) is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant indicated for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in patients 6 years and older.
Adzenys XR-ODT may help improve attention and reduce impulsivity and hyperactivity in patients with ADHD.
The most common side effects reported with Adzenys XR-ODT are:
- dry mouth (xerostomia)
- loss of appetite
- trouble sleeping (insomnia)
- mood changes
- weight loss
- stomach pain
This is not all of the side effects reported with Adzenys XR-ODT. You can review a full listing of side effects and warnings found in the FDA-approved Medication Guide for Adzenys XR-ODT.
How does Adzenys XR-ODT come at the pharmacy?
Adzenys XR-ODT comes in six different orally disintegrating tablet strengths in blister packs (3.1, 6.3, 9.4, 12.5, 15.7, and 18.8 mg). This enables your doctor to individualize a specific dose for you or your child. It is usually taken once a day in the morning, but your doctor will tell you the correct dose and schedule.
Adzenys XR-ODT is a Schedule II controlled substance (CII) because it may be abused or lead to addiction. Keep it in a safe place to prevent misuse and abuse. Selling or giving away this drug may harm others and is against the law.
This is not all the information you need to know about Adzenys XR-ODT (amphetamine) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Adzenys XR-ODT information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Adzenys XR-ODT (amphetamine). [product information]. Neos Therapeutics, Grand Prairie, TX. Revised Dec. 2017. Accessed March 8, 2021 at https://www.neostxcontent.com/Labeling/Adzenys/Adzenys_PI.pdf
Related medical questions
- How long does Adderall stay in your system (urine drug test)?
- Adderall vs Vyvanse - What's the difference between them?
- How long does Adderall last?
- Modafinil vs Adderall: What's the difference?
- Does Adderall help with anxiety and depression?
- Focalin vs Adderall: What's the difference?
- How much Adderall can I take?
- Ritalin vs Adderall: What is the difference?
- Concerta vs Adderall - What's the difference between them?
- Strattera vs Adderall: What is the difference?
- Does Adderall help you lose weight?
- How is Mydayis different from Adderall XR?
- Can Adderall cause constipation?
- Azstarys vs Adderall, what is the difference?
- Can you get addicted to Adderall?