User Reviews for Rexulti to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Rexulti has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 185 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 52% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Rexulti Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Rexulti

Kay February 12, 2021

“I used to endlessly read medication reviews for hours, just praying for a glimmer of hope in my future. It took me almost 2 years & many drugs until I was put on Rexulti, & it has honestly changed my life. I am happy, can take care of my children and most importantly I am not wanting to end my life anymore. I didn’t think a medication could help me. Depression is a very serious disease but there CAN be relief. It may not be Rexulti for you, your body chemistry may react better to something else, but please don’t give up hope and please take your meds as prescribed. For me I was mentally better in less than 1 week, but it can take up to 5. DON’T give up hope! A lot of people who get better don’t bother to go back & write reviews, therefore you see for tons of different meds tons of different bad reviews. I am a 33 year old woman diagnosed with severe severe depression and anxiety. Nothing else on the planet worked for me. Blessings and good luck.”

Volleyqtpye · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

“I’ve never written a review of a drug before, but Rexulti has changed my life. I have tried just about every medication on the market for my MDD and nothing seemed to make much of a difference until Rexulti. Since the beginning I’ve seen a huge difference in my ability to control my urges which has helped tremendously with my eating disorder! My sadness and motivation has improved so much and I just find getting out of bed in the morning so much easier! I never thought I could feel like this!”

Paxilman74 · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2019

“Been a week today, with 40mg of paxil and .5 rexulti. Best I have felt in 3 months. Don't give up! Took me 3 months of misery to feel close to myself again. Paxil quit its effectiveness after 19 yrs. Needed this boost, to claim my life back. Never stop fighting for mental health. Bless all that know the nightmare of anxiety and depression.”

Gigi1902 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2019

“I have been on Rexulti for more than 3 months now. I take wellbutrinxl (300mg), adderall (60mg), and rexulti( 4mg). This drug has help clear my depression and motivated me. This drug has given my life back. I can think clear, want to be around people and very motivated. I actually am pretty happy on this med. Yes, I have always struggled with my weight on meds. This is the first drug that I can take that I can loose weight on. I started weight watchers and lost 5lbs already.”

Belle · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 1, 2021

“I just want to say how amazing this drug is. I’ve been on antidepressants for most of my life. They stopped working at one point. My doctor added rexulti and I finally know what life is like without depression. This drug has honestly changed my life. I no longer deal with depression. I haven’t had any side effects from this medication whatsoever. I never usually write reviews, but I think it’s important people know how powerful this drug can be.”

anxioustrynachill · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 16, 2019

“I’ve been on Rexulti (had Anxiety and Depression) for about two years now and it has been an absolute miracle for me. I had been on Zoloft for 5 years prior and had been on Abilify before switching to Rexulti. They both seem to be equally as affective in treating my anxiety and depression however instead of gaining weight (50 pounds on Abilify), I have lost 80 pounds and have almost no diet. Maybe not a good thing for all, but it was for me!”

Anonymous May 16, 2019

“Rexulti was very effective as far as helping pull me out of the dark hole that I was in, however the weight gain has been detrimental to my self esteem and caused me extreme frustration. For that reason and because I feel like this medication has made me very fatigued I’m coming off it. I have a huge fat bloated flabby stomach now and no matter how strict I diet I can not budge any of the weight. I have never experienced weight gain from a medication like this. To be clear I’m being completely honest about my diet. I’m not over eating I maintain a low carb high protein diet around 1500 calories a day and I weigh 200 lbs!!! I was in extremely good shape before and now I’m just a fat swollen blob. I get puffiness in my face and I feel unrecognizable. There is definitely some kind of fat storing and retention of water caused by this drug. I think this is a horrible medication because of this awful side effect. Anyone going thru depression certainly doesn’t need to be excessively fat.”

A.j. · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

“I'm only on day 5 of .5 mg and I feel a significant difference. I had overwhelmed myself with responsibilities and crashed and burned, then had bottomed out completely, when another major event happened. I do not want to be on antidepressants again, after 15 years of them and 2 1/2 yrs off, but they are working. My anxiety was out of control and I was seriously sick because of Corona virus isolation and my stress. I hope it continues to work at low dose. I hope I don't gain huge amounts of weight. I do have a prescription that will slightly counteract the weight gain.”

Missy · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 19, 2019

“I've tried SO many meds and combinations over the last 30 years for MDD, Anxiety and Agoraphobia. I also tried ECT. I never felt better than the combination of Wellbutrin, Pristiq and Rexulti. Even managed to stop using Xanax and stop drinking without trying. A few months ago I quit the Rexulti, because my new insurance didn't cover much. I went spiralling down-hill fast! I said screw it, it's worth the money to feel normal. I'm back on it and I've never been happier. A slight weight gain in the beginning, but that went away and I lost the extra pounds.”

sementec · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 29, 2020

“I really like Rexulti. I take 2mg in the morning and it really adds benefit to the already beneficial combination of Cymbalta 60mg 2 capsules once a day and Wellbutrin Xl 150mg 1 tablet once a day in the morning. I experience no side effects whatsoever.”

Lisa June 20, 2019

“Well I just started taking this Rexulti yesterday June 19, today is June the 20. Before starting this I was on the verge of committing suicide and since I had 2 pills rexulti I no longer want to die. It is a okay pill. I hope I don't gain weight I'm 290lb I'm trying to go on diet I will give another review in December 2019.”

Ala5000 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2016

“I was severely depressed for several months. My Dr. Tried everything that I could tolerate. I am on Trintellix & Klonopin. I started on the sample pack up to 1 mg. I snapped out of the hard depression within 10 days. I felt super. I talked Dr. in to an increase to 2 mg. I was irritable and nervous. I went back on 1 mg. and was back to my happy self. I would highly recommend Rexulti to anyone with hard to treat depression. This medication gets a full 10.”

Gradstudent048 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 13, 2019

“Update from my last post on July 5, 2018. Things are still going well but I have now gained 30 pounds within the past year of being on Rexulti. It has almost spiralled me back into a depression gaining so much weight, as body image was something that made me anxious and depressed already. Just wanted to give an update because I hadn’t seen anyone else mention the weight gain.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2019

“I started Rexulti as an add on three months ago. Since taking the medication I have had more energy to get things done. I have been able to sleep better at night. I have been diagnosed as treatment resistant and this has been the best medication I have tried. (After numerous med trials). My weight has remained unchanged, which is great. I have had no side effects from this medication and I take it before bed.”

Jewelz · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2018

“Rexulti saved my life! I was diagnosed with MDD and my PCP tried all the regular antidepressants (buspar, effexor, wellbutrin). Those made me manic and worsened my depression. Dark cloud of gloom, not wanting to die, but not wanting to live like this. I found a Psychiatric NP who does medication management for people like me. She started me on 0.5 mg of Rexulti alone, no other meds and on day 4 my mo-jo came back. I am now in my 6 month of taking it in the a.m. and have a wonderful life again. Clear thoughts, happy, peaceful and content. Even though this medication is usually prescribed as an add on to a antidepressant this works beautifully for me alone. Ask your doc about it, you've got nothing to lose.”

clemencline November 7, 2016

“I've been on Rexulti for a month. It was added in addition to my Zoloft 150mg and Klonopin 1mg regimen after I told my psychiatrist that I felt like I was right on the brink of breaking out of my depression, but couldn't quite get there. I started with the sample pack, which consists of a week of .5mg tablets and a week of 1mg tablets. After about the 4th day, I started feeling better -- more energy, less anxiety. When I upped the dose to 1mg on the second week, I felt even better. At the end of the 2 weeks, I felt 100% myself. The only side effects I've experienced are slight insomnia (waking up in the middle of the night) and increased appetite. But I've got my life back, so it's worth it. I love this drug. It saved my life.”

CG · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 28, 2020

“Has helped me in stopping self harming behaviors such as cutting, hitting, and starving myself. No other medication has done this for me. After 10 years of trying different medicines and on and off again treatment, at 23 I am finally in a stable place.”

Birdy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2019

“Rexulti is great as in treating my major depression, anxiety and PTSD. However, I am coming off it because I have been suffering from many side effects that I can't cope. I sleep 15-18 hours a day when I am on 1mg only and then I am 50% awake for the rest of the day, too sleepy to do anything. So here is a list of the side effects that I am experiencing: 1. Blurred vision 2. Hypertension 3. High cholesterol 4. Fatigue 5. Oversleeping No weight gain for me because I only get a chance to eat dinner due to oversleeping.”

Lauren · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2020

“I have Bipolar II with major depressive & Borderline Disorder and I started on .5mg per day for two weeks. I couldn't handle it, brought on a lot side effects. Once doc reduced to .25mg/day, I am feeling very good. The side effects are almost gone. It has helped immensely improved my day to day life with depression which was causing anxiety and other triggers for my mood disorders. I was on lamictal and trileptal before this. I switched entirely to Rexulti 6 weeks ago. Great part of this is quick to help depression. Bad part, tolerance is a bit tricky. Restlessness, digestive, insomnia was horrible when I was on wrong dose. Also, HUNGER is huge. I see why people have gained weight. I don't think it's like SSRIs where it screws w/ your metabolism. It just makes you hungry. Try to get a schedule down for eating and only eat at those times normal amounts of food. This helped me avoid weight gain. Highly recommend.”

Finally1 March 11, 2016

“I have been on Rexulti .5mg now for over a month. I suffer from major depression and ptsd. I have tried over 30 different medications over the last 15 years and have either had no relief or terrible side effects. I also take 100mg of Zoloft. I no longer feel empty inside, I feel like I have some hope. I do have vivid dreams but I can handle that if it makes me feel so much better during the day. After many many years I may finally have gotten the right combo of meds. Good luck to all”

Rhonda · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2019

“I have been on rexulti for 1 month now. It is totally amazing for treatment resistant depression, I haven't felt this good in about 20 years, but am having massive weight gain issues. Can anyone tell me how to get the weight off, as, not eating or exercise is not helping. Would appreciate some advice..thank you”

Lafin · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2016

“I have been on Rexulti for 3 weeks as an add on to Wellbutrin XL 300mg for major depression disorder. I have battled this for years trying so many different meds, finally found WB worked for me, however I still felt like I had mild depression. I wanted to smile again, laugh again and this med has done that for me. On my 4th day, I laughed and thought, this is working, finally! I was prescribed 0.5 for a week to increase to 1.0 the start of the 2nd week. The first week I felt hyper, energetic, and happy.. I had to call my Dr because I felt if I went up on the dose I would start having panic attacks and anxiety. She told me to stay on the 0.5 and increase if I felt like I needed to. I am still on the low dose. I'm in my 3rd week.”

Sb April 24, 2019

“I was given Rexulti as an adjunct and it pulled me out of a dark hole pretty quickly (about 3 days). Dose of 1mg worked for about 6 months, relapse, went up to 2 mg then 3 mg— anxiety off the charts. Found the dosage of 1mg plus 0.5 mg (two prescriptions— cutting the higher dosages didn’t change the med on a molecular level) most effective. Great for a long time. It was also so much better than abilify (abilify gave me horrible nightmares). Fast forward to 1.5 years later— gained over 60 lbs (can’t lose anything either, even eating healthy foods— hunger unmanageable). So the weight gain is just as bad as Abilify. I am 2 weeks into tapering from 1.5 to 1 mg and have severe insomnia, body aches, joint pain, general sadness, lack of patience and interest in usual activities. Dr. won’t do a faster tapering. I want this med out of my body ASAP. I’m done. Great short term solution for depression, crappy for the long term. Get the manufacturer coupon.”

Melancholic · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2019

“Changed my life. Been on Prozac and Klonopin for years for depressive and anxiety disorders, added rexulti recently after I told my psych about how I'm not depressed, but I still feel "flat" very anhedonic. My sleep was also still bad despite being on trazodone. I feel pleasure again, and I laugh and my emotions range much more high than they previously did. Sleeping great. Was terrified to take since this is an "atypical antipsychotic" but alas, no side effects. I gained about 7 pounds, in which I'd say is from being happy and healthy and enjoying food again. Not sure how well this works for anxiety since Prozac and Klonopin already helped my anxiety tremendously. Give this a try.”

SophieSadie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2020

“Rexulti took time to start working and now I feel better than I have for awhile. I've lost my parents and my ESA in the last 6 years. The downside is the weight gain. I've gained 20 lbs in a short period of time. I can't afford to gain weight, I'm already big. I eat the same things, I don't snack. In comparison, before Rexulti I ate more than I do now and didn't gain weight. It's the weight gain that makes it problematic.”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder