How does Rexulti work?
Rexulti is classified as a serotonin-dopamine activity modulator (SDAM) and works at serotonin and dopamine receptors in the brain. It is considered a second generation version of aripiprazole (Abilify), but has slightly different activity at the serotonin and dopamine receptors which may reduce certain side effects such as restlessness.
Elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis treated with antipsychotic drugs are at increased risk of death. Rexulti is not approved for the treatment of patients with dementia-related psychosis.
Safety and effectiveness of Rexulti in children have not been established.
This is not all the information you need to know about Rexulti (brexpiprazole) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Rexulti information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Rexulti (brexpiprazole) [product information]. Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc. Accessed Feb. 21, 2021 at https://www.drugs.com/pro/rexulti.html#s-34066-1
Related Medical Questions
- Why does Rexulti cause weight gain?
- How long does it take for Rexulti to work?
- What is Rexulti used for and how well does it work?
- How to sleep while taking Cymbalta?