User Reviews for Atorvastatin

Also known as: Lipitor

Learn more about Atorvastatin.

High Cholesterol, Fa...ial Heterozygous 3 reviews 16 medications

High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous 3 reviews 10 medications

3.8
Summary of Atorvastatin reviews 83 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Atorvastatin

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "This drug is the absolute worst in the world for me. I have been on it for five years or more and being in excruciating pain for three of those years. I have been on Tylenol three, Codiene contin and hydromorphone and the doctor argued every time when I went in to get more pain meds. My legs have been in unbelievable pain for so long I can't honestly think of the time when I was not in pain. I just started reading about this and stopped taking Lipitor and told the doctor that I would never go back on it again. In about a month I have started to feel better but I am left with weak legs and a huge bill from the chiropractor, massage therapist, acupuncturist, exercise therapist and naturopathic doctor. I have had three trips to the hospital emergency department with no help in the long run. I am very very angry. I hope my lingering pain goes away soon."

Lollipop 2 September 14, 2016

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Here is the trouble with these sites - the skew towards horror stories. There is also a handful who claim that statins are "poison" and "should be taken off the market". This is, clearly, an overreaction by those who have the adverse reaction, which - despite what you would think from reading these reviews - are very low frequency events. Statins are probably as close to a wonder drug as modern pharmacology has ever gotten. Yes, there are those who are intolerant, allergic, or simply confused as to the genesis of their symptoms. The truth is, statins work for the vast majority of people taking them, and they work well. Having said this, I am also perplexed as to why some folks in their later 70s or even 80s are taking them?"

98zeitgeist78 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2016

For Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "4 yrs of pure hell, bladder damage, leaky heart valve ,damage to joints,eyes,liver,stopped taking it getting better every day"

old joe (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "I have experienced severe heartburn since increased dosage from 40to 80 mg."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "Started this drug a few months back and started having health problems; did not associate with the meds. The list is long on the adverse effects. dizzy, loss of balance, pain in head, ringing in ears, pressure in ears (went to ear noise and throat, said it was not in my ears. I have heaviness and weakness in my legs, hard to walk far. Sleep problems, walking and talking while asleep, seizures Lasting a few seconds. this week other joints started hurting as well. Hey the good news is, My cholesterol went way down. I quit taking this med yesterday. Lowering my cholesterol is not worth all the side affects. I am glad it works for some, but have researched this drug and so many have had a bad reaction."

dorathy57 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking 10MG of Lipitor for about 18 years, it has worked wonderful for me no problems at all with the drug."

Retiredrcr (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "On it for 6 years. Adverse affects sneak up on you. It makes you old before your time. I had neuropathy in feet and finally in hands, pain in neck and legs. I dragged my feet when I walked, finally my mind was so foggy I couldn't remember what I saw the instant before or remember what I read . I would fall asleep in a instant after sitting down. My wife wouldn't let me drive except in the neighborhood for fear I would doze off- (I wonder how many 'old' people have caused auto accidents because of statins). I could not do simple arithmetic. I am off of it as of 2 months ago and am slowly improving. This stuff is poison and should be taken off the market. I rate it 0."

Nhbgfdxsetyy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 29, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "In the first few days of taking Lipitor I was unbelievably tired, weak and dizzy. I had muscle aches,dry mouth and a headache. I felt on the verge of having a heart attack. I felt nauseous and these symptoms just got worse the longer I took it. It got to the point where I was so dizzy I couldn't drive my car . I had to get off it immediately"

Lipitor for high cholesterol (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "Very good and effective"

Sendhil (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "I'm a 47 yr old overweight female. I've had high blood pressure my entire life but never cholesterol issues. I went in for blood work in Jan. 16 and was shocked to learn my LDL-p (particle count) was off the charts at 2,800 (should be 700 range) and my LDL small particle count was 1,500 (should be under 500). Additionally all my blood lipids were way out of range. I was given 40 mg of atorvastatin but after reading how horrible statins were, I got scared and only took 1/2 daily. I just got my labs redone and since January-April (3 full months), all my blood lipids are in normal, optimal range. I did alot of research on the effectiveness of lower dose statins and have not had any issues with taking 1/2 my pill daily. Results speak."

TRu1647 April 29, 2016

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I am 65 and active, to include hiking, walking in the gym yard work, etc.. Been on 10 mg of Lipitor or generic for 20 years. Within the past 2 years I have experienced increased lower leg discomfort and within the past year what appears to be lower leg muscle loss, chronic plantar fascia, leg muscle tingling, and a feeling of weakness in my lower legs. My primary care doc, who is Lipitor intolerant, attributed it all to age, cervicle stenosis, etc. Have quit Lipitor and Prylosec (been on this for 10 years) and will readdress with my doctor (who's an internal medicine doctor) when I can get in to see him again in 3 weeks. Some remediation of mental fogginess which has plagued me recently, but to date no releaf on leg issues."

Skip69 April 28, 2016

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "This medicine did a number on my legs. Had numbness, the legs felt like led, wobbly. I had been a mail carrier and walked 10-11 miles and day, retired but continued to walk 4-5 miles a day besides being very active with DIY projects and part time job. Took Lipitor earlier this year. It got the numbers down, but I had 3 ER visits in one week and spent the night in the hospital because my legs were acting up and it scared me and my heart did weird things. Lot of stress for me and my family. We have good insurance, but this will still probably be around $2000. I would not recommend Lipitor to anyone-there are other cholesterol meds out there."

former mail man April 17, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "Atorvastatin ensures a great night of sleep but I am very upset about my weight loss:(( almost a pound per week. Plan to ask my doctor what my options are. It has lowered my cholesterol significantly but still need to watch what I eat. This is my first time ever on meds."

lilvix (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "After his 5th heart attack My hubby has been on 80mg of these for nearly months and he suffers pain and is now waking up with yellow bruises on him the hospital say he can't come off them. They are the only new thing hes had so know they are the problems"

Silvo65 February 14, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "I took both simvastatin (got a rash/hives) and Lipitor (even worse rash/hives) which I'm still plagued by even though I went off Lipitor more than a month ago. The rash comes and goes; some days unbearable and others barely noticeable. My urine also developed a foul and toxic odor along with changes in urinary habits/timing. I think these statins ought to be banned."

Denny0522 February 7, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "I have only been on for a week and a half. I have not had any side effects. I take 10mg every day. For a little background on myself. My Total Cholesterol has been over 400 for a long time. I was pretty adamant about reducing my TC without statins. Finally I decided to give them a try. My last blood test had my Cholesterol in the 300 zone which is an improvement for me. I am into bodybuilding, and that entails me to Bulk up and then Diet down. Weirdly enough my >300 Cholesterol reading was in my Bulk up Phase where I am 260lbs and carrying more Bodyfat than normal. I low carb during my lean phases where I cut out all starch carbs and sugars. Doctor thinks its a hereditary Cholesterol problem. I never get over 15% bf."

DRACOMACHINE (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "First I was on Simvastatin, then I had a Dr. change and he put me on Atorvastatin, my blood sugar levels went up for no reason, then I started having cramps, told the Dr. and he said just watch my diet. So I did, the cramps were almost every day and getting me very upset. So called the Dr. again. He finally told me to stop the meds for 14 days and then start again. The cramps went away until I started taking them again. Don't know what the Dr. will do next."

GrandmaDeeDee January 12, 2016

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous: "This caused me severe muscle pain and cramps ."

Andyman January 10, 2016

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I took 40mgs. Lipitor daily for 2 weeks & experienced complete muscle paralysis in my legs & arms. Had to stop taking Lipitor. Next Dr prescribed Crestor. Crestor worked alright for 1 month. Then again I had paralysis in my arms & legs. The paralysis disappeared in several days after stopping the cholesterol lowering meds. Dr. Then prescribed Niaspan (prescription strength Niacin) that also produced the paralysis in my thighs and arms , within 2 weeks . Paralysis disappeared in 2 to 3 days after stopping each med. Dr. Decided I need to take 500 mgs. Niacin with food 4 times per day & that has helped me greatly, w/o any paralysis. I also decreased foods that are high in cholesterol & exercise more often. I am 72 yrs of age."

MartinelliHazabelli December 23, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "My doc says I may be the 1 in 100,000 that just can't take it. My liver enzymes went off the chart and I am still recovering from acute hepatitus and muscle pain."

Lindylou123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 12, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I was given Lipitor 20 mg. 8 days ago,last night I found a rash under my left breast the size of a half dollar,it does not itch or anything,the only thing that has changed is the lipitor,I will NOT take it any more.I knew it had to be something new I had done & this was it. After my research on here,I am sure that is what it is.I have never had chicken pox,I know it can NOT be shingles. Since I have never had a heat rash in the summer & now it is cooler weather,it has to be the lipitor.I have some other my Dr. gave me a couple of years back & I only took 14 but noticed no side affects.The pharmasist said maybe wait a couple of days to start the other.Never knew my cholesterol was as high as 381 till recently!Lipitor is NOT FOR ME!"

CameoLadyTX December 10, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I have been using a Lipitor for only one week but am feeling fatigue and muscle pains, my cholesterol drops down from 130 to 100, but too much side effect, I decided to stop and now am feeling OK"

Dereya November 14, 2015

For Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "20mg a day gave me stomach pains. Went to 10mg. Works good, no side effects."

Dhjyytffghuy October 28, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "I took 10mg for a week. Severe stomach pains, muscle pains and joint pain. It felt like I had body aches from the flu! So tired wiped out my energy. Also, where I broke my wrist I was getting sharp stabbing pains there. Called the doctor and he said stop taking it immediately. Thank god because these side effects were horrible. Going to try exercise, green tea and essentials oils before I even give another brand a try."

Bad side effects October 20, 2015

For High Cholesterol: "Started on 10mg daily in May. Began having headaches daily and my joints in my hands increased in pain, especially in the am. I am in my 4th month now headaches are much better. Hands still hurt but seem a little better. Now my back aches a lot and I feel tired every morning. It's like I stayed up half the night making it a chore to get up and get ready for work. I worry about all the things this drug may be doing to my kidneys, liver and muscles. However, after 3 months my cholesterol and LDL dropped significantly. I would like to maybe decrease to every other day or maybe try diet and exercise again."

Creolamama September 24, 2015