User Reviews for Atorvastatin systemic

High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous
3.8

Summary of Atorvastatin reviews 5.4 154 reviews

Reviews for Atorvastatin

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking Atorvastatin 10 Mg along with Olmesartan 40 mg. for 3.5 months. About one month ago I started waking up with my right hand almost locked in a semi-closed fist. In particular, the middle finger could not be straightened for at least 30 mins and was very painful. In the past two weeks, I have experienced serious muscles and joint pains all over my body. I thought it was caused by the Olmesartan and with the doctors, approval started taking 20mg rather than 40mg. This did not help so I was told to stop taking Atorvastatin for the next couple of day. Well, one day off the Atorvastatin has given me real relief from the serious pain that was making life miserable and keeping me from sleeping The pain in the right hand is still there but it is less painful. I am due to see the Doctor on 11/5/2018, to discuss the issues and find a drug without the serious side effects. I hope this helps everyone on these drugs."

henryn46 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Horrible drug !!!! Felt dizzy all the time, blurred vision. Seen halos around lights, light sensitivity!!! Felt weak couldn’t focus on anything, could barely get out of bed . Never again."

Vic (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I took 10mg atorvastatin for 8 months. During that time I slowly had the following side effects; extreme tiredness. Memory loss and confusion. Muscle weakness trouble walking. My arm muscles became useless. Joint pain in my middle finger where I had trouble bending my finger. Facial twitching. Pressure in my chest Thyroid nodule swelling. Blurred vision off and on and extreme sensitivity to light. Uncontrollable eye jumping. I have been diagnosed with Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) which I fully believe that due to the sensitivity of light. The LED lighting in a grocery store damaged my retinas. But what I can't understand is out of all the doctors through out all my symptoms not one connected it to atorvastatin! I was drinking gallons of water, I began to have trouble urinating. That is when I started researching the detailed side effects of atorvastatin! I was completely horrified of the dangers and I stopped taking it."

Totally frustrated October 7, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Went on atorvastatin because I had a fully blocked vertebral artery in the back of my neck and a partially blocked vertebral artery that required a stent. Within three days, I started getting a flushing of the skin of face and neck. Then the muscle soreness kicked in along with stiffness in other muscles. This gradually increased into neck muscles and finger muscles. I also developed weakness in all extremities. I was also in a fog at times and it was difficult to concentrate at work. I also had trouble focusing my vision. All of this happened over the six weeks that I was taking the drug. Have to be on something to lower cholesterol until stent is placed so doctor put me on another statin. However, I believe in quality of life over quantity of life so if the new statin continues like the old one, I will stop taking them and switch to berberine, which the scientific studies I have seen show to be just as effective at reducing cholesterol. My doctor is okay with this plan."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I had a TIA August 11th and the Dr. prescribed 40 mg of Atorvastin. I became so tired and had blood work done and my ALT level was 488! Thankfully my ALT is down to 192 since stopping it 15 days ago. I would never take another medication that you need to check liver levels. Who knows what lasting effects this could have in my future. Very Scary."

Sharky (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I am 50 years old, soon as I started to take these tablets , I have felt weak and have not been able to ejaculate when having sex with my partner. My cholesterol isn't that high either. So if you are still sexually active , keep away from this!"

Davy (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "This drug caused Shortness of breath,. Sleep Apnea and Cramps. I could not walk 50 feet without resting from the shortness of breath. Taking Co Q 10 helped with the cramps. I tried different statins and they all did the same thing to me. For 6 months doctors tried to find a cure. I stopped taking the statins and and the sleep apnea and shortness of breath went away in 5 days. Doctor had a hard time believing it was the statin. I hope this helps someone. "

Sal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking statins for 3 years now and this site rates up there as a good resource for medication experience. There seems to be medication manufacturer/retail people posting here touting how great medications are. My advice is to be aware of anyone making statements that taking medications over lifestyle change is the answer. In 10 years from now if we have 10's of millions of people with cancer and liver disease what will they say then. Health care employs more people with very high salaries than any other profession and to keep it going there is no telling what they may do. Be careful and take care of your health and by that I do not mean taking more medications. It saddens me to see young people under 35 years old taking this drug. Please try all the lifestyle options before drugs."

wiggles (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I am an otherwise healthy 23 year old female. My new doctor ran a battery of blood tests and discovered my total cholesterol was 272! Started me on 20mg lipitor which brought it down to 202 after 2 months. Dosage was increased to 80mg since I have experienced no side effects. It is now at 142 after 4 months in total. Doctor is considering adding something else to get it down a bit more in 2 more months."

Beth233 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Get off this medication as quickly as you can, and do NOT take another statin ever. I was on a dose of 40mg daily for 2.5 years. I experienced muscle weakness, although I exercised daily, sexual dysfunction, memory lapses, joint pains, and many other symptoms associated with statin use. The topper: three months ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Only after doing a little research on statins did I understand that cholesterol is essential for health and actually protects against cancer, among other things. It's necessary for the formation of brain cells, muscle tissue, and sex hormones. I stopped taking my statins about 6 weeks ago and already feel better, though it will take some time to fully recover. So do your research, people. I believe this is a truly dangerous drug, as are all statins. And it does nothing to increase length of life."

Gourdman (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Prescribed 10mg daily but experienced muscle pains. I talked to my doctor and we agreed to splitting the 10mg pill in half. I take 5mg per day with no side effects. Cholesterol levels have dropped to almost near normal range."

COOKIE (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I'm 81 years old and have been on 40mg to 80 mg of lipitor for at least 10 years. It works wonders. No side effects."

whitehead (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I did not have a clue that Lipitor could give me so many severe side effects! Lower back, back of my legs, headaches, running nose, memory lost. I go blank for a few seconds, & lastly, speech impediment!!!! I have a medical appointment w/ my prime doctor next week & I will discuss w/him...."

Tainbow (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Been taking 20mg for 3 months. Zero side effects. Triglycerides were 311. Most recent blood test showed 125, which is in normal range. Good cholesterol was 23. Now is 50. Very effective drug. Sorry to all those people who are having negative side effects. Try something else and good luck. All medications work for some and not others. Telling people not to try this drug because it didn't work for you is just plain ignorant. The world doesn't revolve around you."

DUKSTER (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I can only speak for 6 days as atorvastatin is the 1st statin I have taken. My Dr. prescribed the 40 mg pill to lower my cholesterol. So far no side effects, other then that my dreams at night are move vivid, but I still am sleeping pretty well."

Steve G (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I too am taking lipitor. But my problem is how they change the shape and color. Now they are giving me peach and oval shape ones. I would like to know if anybody has these kind before."

Meanmawmaw (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 10, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Being treated for high Cholesterol and high blood pressure, Atorvastatin is one of the drugs I have been on for over four years now. Results have been positive for me and my Doctor has lowered my prescription from forty to twenty mg per day. I take one Atorvastatin at night, since I was told that the body produce Cholesterol at night time. So to get the full benefit of the statin I take it now, once a night with my medication for high blood pressure, Amlodipine. Which is another story, but positive, anyway I am positive about Atorvastatin and would recommend it. While at the same time, I would suggest that you watch your own reaction to any medication. Mostly any medication that deals with your heart, be careful. God Bless."

Zegota (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "My old Doctor felt my cholesterol, while a little high, did not warrant taking a medication. He retired and the interim Dr. said she felt my numbers would be better by taking atorvastatin 10 mg daily. My numbers came down, not as far as she would like, but good enough. I had no side effects so I have stayed on it for over a year. My new Dr. ran more tests and upped my dosage to 20 mg and numbers are down close to where he feels they should be. Still no side effects. Next refill, he wants to see how 40 mg does for lowering to where he wants me to be. I'm hopeful it will work and still no side effects. After reading what some other people's reactions to this medication, I feel pretty lucky."

Greybeard48 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 26, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I have been on Lipitor for 6 months. My cholesterol went down from 220 to 156, I was tested 2 months ago, therefore I hope it is going down. Fortunately, I don't have any side effect, Thank goodness."

Rlanguasco (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "My cholesterol level was 322 and my doctor prescribed Lipitor. I started to feel very weak. I was in pain constantly and I felt very tired and sore. I could not even do my daily chores. I thought I had some kind of flu. I continued to take Lipitor for about a year, and the symptoms just got worse. After the second year of taking Lipitor and my constant pain, soreness, and tiredness, and I lost my appetite. The doctor ordered a liver enzyme test. Lipitor was damaging my liver and I also was experiencing trouble with my kidneys. Though I didn't realized it then, Lipitor was the culprit of my aches and weakness, and was not effective in lowering my cholesterol much (only to 308 after taking Lipitor for more than two years.) I am not taking Lipitor anymore and I don't feel tired and exhausted. My doctor continues to ordered a liver enzyme test every year. It has never come back normal anymore. Please be careful!"

Be aware! (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Made my left cheek contract and twitch and my upper right arm after 2 doses waited 10 days then 2 more doses right hand fell asleep for 5 hours with right fore arm twitching all day so I'll ask for something different. Guess I'm an isolated case."

Spacecadet2020 January 17, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Have been taking low dosage of this drug for 10 years. It's very effective. Has lowered my cholesterol dramatically, combined with exercise and low fat diet."

S.R. January 11, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I had tried about 3 statins and could not take them due to the aches and energy loss. I them was given lipitor. I took it for 3 months with no problem, then I start having memory loss. I stopped the drug and that had now been about 2 years. The loss is better but still comes and goes. Being a pharmacist I am keenly aware of side effects and that is major!!"

MsAnniee (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Had by pass surgery, six of them, and was put on an 80MG dose of atorvastatin. Before surgery my LDL was 114, total was 214, HDL was 82 and triglyceride was 88. After one week on an 80 mg dose my values were 73, 166, 80 and 65. I was pleased and no side effects. Then after 5 months I began getting itching on my back and arms that drove me batty. My memory seemed to be suffering. The final straw was a complete loss of strength in my left leg, near the calf muscle. I could not even walk up my stairs. I immediately stopped taking atorvastatin and within two days the muscle returned to normal and the itching got way less severe. Memory also improved. I am 77 years old and have always been a runner so am in very good shape."

ELSAELSA (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Been on atorvastin for about 3 -4 weeks the first couple of weeks felt very fuzzy and light headed eyes wouldn’t focus additionally had sharp stabbing pain in my back. Stopped taking them for a week then started again now I’m getting chest tightness aches around chest and back plus heart pounding all the time esp at night which is messing with my sleep ( haven’t slept much at all since taking this drug come to think of it) Also had bad farts embarrassing as I don’t know when it will happen. Sick of being a test patient for my doctor ... stopping tomorrow"

Hugh gasm (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2017