User Reviews for Atorvastatin

3.8

Summary of Atorvastatin reviews 5.1 174 reviews

Reviews for Atorvastatin

Product user · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "I was put on Lipitor after a mild heart attack and stent placement. A short time after starting the script, my hands started hurting daily. They woke me up at night. Then the pain spread through out my body . It got so bad I could not push up off a chair or bed. Nothing helped. It was nerve and muscle pain. Took it for a year before the doctor finally heard me and took me off Lipitor to see if that was the cause. Within days the paint started letting up . Now 4 months later I’m back to normal. The pain was so bad I thought I was dying and felt that way to the point of writing out a will . Not everyone has this reaction . But pay attention if you start taking it and then have body pain. It can be dangerous. I don’t know what long term effect may show up later from it. Now my hands still hurt daily from it . But less than when I was on the pill."

Tj · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "Worst side effects I could imagine. The pelvic and leg pain was so bad I couldn't sleep for six days until my Dr told me to stop!! The pain was worse than anything I have experienced. Including child birth!!! Drs should not be so quick to jump to this drug!!!!! It also messed with my kidneys have been on antibiotics for 2 weeks trying to get them back to a normal level. My opinion BAD DRUG!!!!!!"

Al · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 23, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I have tried on several occasions to stick with a daily dose. But each time I had to back off due to muscle pain and severe diarrhea. The diarrhea got so bad (needed to go urgently) that I found myself not wanting to socialize as much or leave the house for long periods. Several close calls made me apprehensive. When I did take this starting my lipid panel was back to normal. But the side effects were to much to stand. So I will be not be going back to daily statin doses. And yes I have tried other stations down through the years. Same negative results."

Lyn June 22, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I have experienced light coughing that slowly advanced over 18 months to wheezing, hoarseness, uncontrollably coughing. I was treated for asthma and allergies with no relief. I researched this medicine and had all the side effects. This week I stopped taking it and all asthma treatments. After 5 days I'm breathing much better and not using inhaler or breathing treatments. I sleep through the night without gasping and coughing. I fully believe 18 months of this medication has taken a harsh toll on my lungs. I'm seeing my doctor this week and can't wait to see what she thinks about my changes and findings"

Not impressed · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 18, 2019

For Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "I started on 80 mg of atorvastatin after receiving a stent following a blocked coronary artery . " After researching . I told GP I wasn't happy , and she suggested a lower dose 40 mg. After one and a half years I ended up with diabetes 2, memory problems , heartburn , blurred vision , joint pain , stiffness , cramping . My memory recovered as did digestive problems a few weeks after stopping them . I wish I hadn't taken them at all .horrible !"

Boxers2 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 30, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I have been on this this for several years. I have felt nothing but miserable while taking it. I have had the cramping, muscle pain in legs, stomach issues, headaches and pain in arms. Kept asking my primary doctor if this could be the cause of all this and he kept saying no. Well I have changes my primary doctor and done away with this terrible medication.!!"

changed · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 27, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "The Lipitor worked for years then suddenly I had upper arm pains and couldn't move my arms without crying. I couldn't get up from the toilet or bathtub etc. I was a cripple. My cardiologist took me off the drug immediately and said not to every go back to it. After months the pain subsided a little but never came back to my original health. Can't walk much and have to stop every minute or so to rest my aching legs etc. Can't take care of my apartment anymore."

Steffan · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "Side effects of atorvastatin included weight gain, muscle cramps, constant sore throat and digestion/gas issues. Have stopped taking after 3 months of these issues - it's taken another 4 weeks of stomach pains to make a recovery. They did do the job as readings reduced from 6.1 to 4.1, but not worth the pain."

Suzie · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 5, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "Atorvastatin lowered my cholesterol but the leg pain I had was unbearable. I went off it because of my legs hurting enough that it was interfering with my day to day life."

Cathy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I have been on Atorvastatin for about three months . I kept telling my doctor that my legs hurt. So she ordered a EMG [Electromyography measures muscle response] which I refused. She’s trying to make it sound like I’m crazy and it’s all in my head that my legs hurt or that there something else wrong when in fact it’s from the atorvastatin . I’m sorry to say this but I think doctors are all about the money because if she would’ve told me the side effects of this drug I wouldn’t of taken it in the first place. I feel horrible all the time I feel like I have to throw up all the time my legs hurt my foot is numb I called her up today and said I’m not taking that medicine ever again I’ll be taking niacin instead that also helps to lower your cholesterol"

Rossy April 1, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "How is this stuff legal? 5 urgent care and 2 ER trips, and no one related the Lipitor to my pains. I had severe muscle cramps everywhere. Deep excruciating pain in glute muscles that had me in physical therapy. Itching and tingling on face and extremities. Stabbing pain in various muscles that concludes with lasting aches and difficulty with motion. Fatigue too. Been on for over a year then looked up side effects and called my doctor. Took statin specific blood test and have to have test to see if my muscle fibers have broken down. I'm a walking side effect commercial...and it's not fun."

USC · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 31, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I have had high cholesterol for years so was put on Atorvistatin and it was a nightmare. Besides muscle pain and aches, the worst side effect is muscle weakness. I'm talking flat out atrophy of my leg muscles. I'm in my 50's, and the effect has been horrible on quality of life. I fall easily. I finally got off of this drug and switched to another Statin"

Beanee · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "Have been taking lipitor for for 2 months. Went to Dr for yearly check up and blood work. My white blood count was low at 2.8 the only changes I have made since last check up is the addition of lipitor and Keto diet. The last 2 weeks I have been dizzy and have headaches and insomnia. Not sure if I should quit taking the drug or quit my diet."

sadie51 March 21, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "My Dr prescribed me atorvastatin 10mg, 8 weeks ago. My numbers are in the 200's. I was very hesitant because of the bad side effects I have heard other people tell me about but everyone is different, so I decided to give it a try. As of today, I took myself off of it. I have gained 12 lbs, experienced muscle weakness, muscle aches, back pain, brain fog, memory issues, confusion, headaches, and fatigue. I explained to my Dr that I was having bad side effects and she told me to stay on it and just "wait it out" and the good will outweigh the bad. I have become very inactive and sleep all the time. I haven't exercised at all and with the weight gain, that has made my health deteriorate....not improve. I am going to try Niacin instead. In the long run, I realize that eating healthy and exercise is the best way to keep my body in the best shape possible. My health is important to me, but so is my quality of life. Try this drug at your own risk."

PJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 1, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I believe atorvastatin caused me to have restless legs and adversely effected my sleep. My RLS is much better since I quit taking it."

rivervan February 20, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "Wish I could rate this a zero. After only 3 days on atorvastatin 20mg I experienced constant headache, muscle pain and weakness, dizziness, couldn't sleep, tingling in the arms and legs and ringing in the ears. Well turns out after doing more research into these toxic drugs I was indeed being slowly poisoned. Stopped after 9 days and things are improving slowly. These drugs stop the essential HMG-CoA pathway in the body which produces many molecules that are essential for cellular health. They also build up in muscle tissue in their toxic lactone form. This is especially serious if you have an acidic blood pH. There are genetic variations in the bodies ability to clear these through the liver that can lead to a dangerous build-up of these drugs in your body. This basic biology is all hard science and confirmed by peer-reviewed studies. Educate yourself and make your own decision before letting your doctor scare you into taking these dangerous drugs."

billie February 7, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I live in Australia. I am 74. On 29th January had a cardiac stent in left circumflex artery. I was on Crestor 10mg daily, Prior to procedure I had no symptoms, went to gym for an hour 3-4 times a week. After successful procedure at the hospital my meds were changed including changing Crestor to 80 mg Atrovastatin daily. As I was walking out of the hospital I felt a little breathless. So went to the emegency dept at local hospital. Nothing much was done there. My wife told me that my skin colour was strange and yellowish. When discharged, because of the coincidence between feeling unwell and change in medication, and as I could not see a doctor straight away I took myself off the new meds and reverted back to the old one and went to see a dr the next day. He told me I did the right thing. Now, after taking Atrovastatin for four days and not having it for the past four days, I feel fit but still a bit tired, but people at work still comment about my yellowish skin colour."

Lilwsky · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 4, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I’ve been on Pravastatins 20 mg. For 5 yrs. Cholesterol was 225. It never went down. I do enjoy my cocktails, wine in the evening..nothing changed. My liver enzymes for 18 years always stayed at 20-21 ( range is 4-43) in August 2018, went in for my quarterly bloodwork..no change. Doctor put me on Lipitor 20 mg with next bloodwork to be done in January. Well, I also started the Keto diet in January..high fat, protein diet..low carbs, sugar. Surprise!! My cholesterol went from 226 to 165! Glucose was down and very good! However..it compromised my liver.. my enzymes skyrocketed to 99 and 110 (again range 4-43) he immediately took me off Lipitor...now, he doesn’t want me to drink any alcohol for 2 months..test will be in March..so, what’s the culprit?? Diet or Lipitor? He said to continue with diet, just cut the fat down.."

Bobbie · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 2, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I was on this medication for close to ten years I've had problems with it -cramps and muscles weakness. Went to my doctor and told him about the problems I was having and they said it couldn't be the cholesterol medicine I've been on it too long."

Leisa · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 31, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Severe muscle pain, and skin pain couldn’t stand my bra touching my skin, my Dr. took me off of it, she said I should have let her know sooner she would have changed it."

henryn46 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking Atorvastatin 10 Mg along with Olmesartan 40 mg. for 3.5 months. About one month ago I started waking up with my right hand almost locked in a semi-closed fist. In particular, the middle finger could not be straightened for at least 30 mins and was very painful. In the past two weeks, I have experienced serious muscles and joint pains all over my body. I thought it was caused by the Olmesartan and with the doctors, approval started taking 20mg rather than 40mg. This did not help so I was told to stop taking Atorvastatin for the next couple of day. Well, one day off the Atorvastatin has given me real relief from the serious pain that was making life miserable and keeping me from sleeping The pain in the right hand is still there but it is less painful. I am due to see the Doctor on 11/5/2018, to discuss the issues and find a drug without the serious side effects. I hope this helps everyone on these drugs."

Vic · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Horrible drug !!!! Felt dizzy all the time, blurred vision. Seen halos around lights, light sensitivity!!! Felt weak couldn’t focus on anything, could barely get out of bed . Never again."

Totally frustrated October 7, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I took 10mg atorvastatin for 8 months. During that time I slowly had the following side effects; extreme tiredness. Memory loss and confusion. Muscle weakness trouble walking. My arm muscles became useless. Joint pain in my middle finger where I had trouble bending my finger. Facial twitching. Pressure in my chest Thyroid nodule swelling. Blurred vision off and on and extreme sensitivity to light. Uncontrollable eye jumping. I have been diagnosed with Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) which I fully believe that due to the sensitivity of light. The LED lighting in a grocery store damaged my retinas. But what I can't understand is out of all the doctors through out all my symptoms not one connected it to atorvastatin! I was drinking gallons of water, I began to have trouble urinating. That is when I started researching the detailed side effects of atorvastatin! I was completely horrified of the dangers and I stopped taking it."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 5, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Went on atorvastatin because I had a fully blocked vertebral artery in the back of my neck and a partially blocked vertebral artery that required a stent. Within three days, I started getting a flushing of the skin of face and neck. Then the muscle soreness kicked in along with stiffness in other muscles. This gradually increased into neck muscles and finger muscles. I also developed weakness in all extremities. I was also in a fog at times and it was difficult to concentrate at work. I also had trouble focusing my vision. All of this happened over the six weeks that I was taking the drug. Have to be on something to lower cholesterol until stent is placed so doctor put me on another statin. However, I believe in quality of life over quantity of life so if the new statin continues like the old one, I will stop taking them and switch to berberine, which the scientific studies I have seen show to be just as effective at reducing cholesterol. My doctor is okay with this plan."

Sharky · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I had a TIA August 11th and the Dr. prescribed 40 mg of Atorvastin. I became so tired and had blood work done and my ALT level was 488! Thankfully my ALT is down to 192 since stopping it 15 days ago. I would never take another medication that you need to check liver levels. Who knows what lasting effects this could have in my future. Very Scary."