User Reviews for Atorvastatin

Also known as: Lipitor

Learn more about Atorvastatin.

High Cholesterol, Fa...ial Heterozygous 4 reviews 17 medications

High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous 3 reviews 11 medications

3.8
Summary of Atorvastatin reviews 125 reviews 5.4

Reviews for Atorvastatin

For High Cholesterol: "Started taking Atorvastatin because the Crestor I was taking previously became far too expensive for me to afford after the promotional discounts ran out and my insurance plan changed, resulting in my having to pick up the entire tab of $920 every 3 months. Atorvastatin, on the other hand, while not quite as effective, was far cheaper, at $30 per 90 days. The test results, while not nearly as good as Crestor (which was AMAZING),but are still acceptable, with some results a bit beyond the normal ranges, while with Crestor, every result was perfect. Zero side effects. Considering the very low cost of Atorvastatin, I am overall quite happy with it. Age 57. Started taking after a massive heart attack and quintuple bypass surgery."

Giles Habibula (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Dad died of heart attack three years ago. Then two years later my brother had heart attack from blockage and almost died. My cholesterol is 512. Been taking this statin about 3 weeks. I'm miserable. Leg pain/ cramps. Pain down both arms but mainly left one. Totally weak all over. Lower leg pain both sides. Tight chest every night. Heat pounds all the time now. Barely can sleep a couple hours a night if I'm lucky. Sour stomach every night have to take antacids at bedtime. Can't function during the day. I gotta go see my Doc now that I know this med is the cause. 43 year old fairly active, average weight male."

Big Al 1701 October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "About 2 weeks ago my Dr put me on Lipitor for my cholesterol. I've been having all kinds of side effects from it but I didn't realize it until today, I've been beside myself with itching, I keep getting these stinging sensations, like I'm being attacked by a colony of fire ants, I'm prone to insomnia (very severe) and it made it so much worse, despite the fact that I have been feeling I was coming down with something serious (constantly exhausted). I've even developed blisters in my NOSE! and I have the red spots it's insane. No joke I seriously have about 80% of the listed side effects even the unreported and rare. I hope no one ever has to deal with this craziness."

breezyzmoon (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "54 YO WM, former distance runner who sustained a career ending injury, and over a 3 year period, my Cholesterol slowly climbed to an unacceptable level. 210ish (with an HDL of 75) to 290. I have a family history but still that was a scary and surprising discovery. My last Lipid panel before starting 20mg of Atorvastatin daily was: Total Cholesterol: 290; HDL: 43; LDL: 210; Non-HDL: 247; Triglycerides: 185. 8 months later after the atorvastatin, Total: 189; HDL: 47; LDL:114; Non HDL: 142; Triglycerides: 138. Zero side effects except for some weight gain that I can't totally pin back to the medication, and my Doc wants to up my dosage to 40MG per day to bring everything down another 25% or so, and to try to get my HDL into the 50s. Perfect drug for me."

JHR September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "I had a TIA, put on statin age 72, after about 7 months on Atorvastatin 40 mg daily very unpleasant pains etc upper right arm etc. I stopped taking drug, then a different doctor at the practice who was very persuasive and I agreed to go back on statin, however my own experience and dare I say common sense, prevailed and I have NOT gone back on the statin ! 5 weeks after having stopped the statin the upper arm pain is substantially diminished -- not gone completely yet. Now with a bit of pain I can get my right hand in my right hand trouser hip pocket ! Impossible because of pain 5 weeks ago.Getting slowly better --I will never take statin again. Maybe the wrong statin but who knows? I am not convinced. Are we all just guinea pigs ? average weight, ex sportsman"

Michael Hunterxyz September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I have been on Lipitor for two weeks and will stop tomorrow. My legs are hurting and cannot sleep. For the first few days I was fine but now I ache from my hips down to my calfs. I also have stomach cramps. This is not for me, will tell Dr. this week and hopefully can try something else."

Beach Tower September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "Doctor put me on a 20mg dosage because I have diabetes 2. He said that my numbers are not that high but to prevent a heart attack. I been taking them for three days and I'm feeling depressed my legs feel heavy the back of my neck is killing me . I wake up with my left hand numb. I really don't know what should I do."

Miniek (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "My Tyiglycerids were over 400. One year later they are down to 112. HdL 35 LDL 66"

Johnchimpo (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "My cholesterol has been lowered 50% by this medication. Very happy,no side effects."

Mitra.p July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Difficulty commencing in meds, but eventually settled down. I have been on this medication, for 12 months, after 2 months developed neuropathy, but it wasn't considered that this may be the cause. This week after being on it for 12 months, the GP has stopped it to see if there are any change to symptoms. What I would like to know if anyone has any experience of withdrawal effects from this as I feel dreadful after being off it 5 days. Legs are like jelly, wobbly, nausea, headache, and extremely tired."

Janine456 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "My husband has had high cholesterol for about 15 years tried to take Simvastatin but had bad side effects ... he is 64 and in quite good health he takes garlic. plant sterols and lecithin in his diet but now Dr wants him to try Artovastatin he really doesn't want to but I think maybe he should try it out"

TinaTuck June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Switched from Lovastatin to Atorvastatin with Gemfibrozil, resulting in much better numbers and no side effects."

JM2326 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Hi, I can't rate this medicine yet as I have only been on it 8 days,, I don't know my ratios but I know my cholesterol was 6.3, I haven't noticed any side effects yet but have to get another liver test in six weeks and a cholesterol test after my 3 month course of atoravastatin,hope all goes well and don't get all these cramps, pain etc which I have read about on this forum. I will let you know my results in 3 months,,"

Terry1000 (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "I've been taking Atorvastatin for a couple of weeks now,,,HATE IT AND WILL STOP TODAY!!.I have a cough and stuffy nose (side effect) tight chest, tired all the time, muscle cramps, off and on diarrhea, sore throat, no need to say anymore. I've been put on several different kinds of meds for high cholesterol and they all have side effects that I can't deal with. It's sad but every Dr I've had has wanted to put me on these meds that make me sick. I'm gonna find foods that may help"

Ezell E June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I started taking generic lipitor in February/March 2017. My lab work came back and total cholesterol was 311. At first I started taking 20mg a day. By the 9th day I was an emotional mess. Anxiety, anger, confusion, leg pain, stomach pain and heartburn. I decided to take the 20mg every other day. All the side effects disappeared. Works great. I heard back from my Dr who says to continue the every other day dosage because its working and its tolerable for me."

Sensitive to all meds (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "My Dr prescribed Lipitor (40mg) four months ago for high cholesterol of 342. I started feeling like my lower legs weighed a ton. Then it also went into my knees and behind the knees. The pain was unbearable, especially in the muscles circling the knee with more severe pain above and towards the outer side of both knees. My doctor thinks it's from an injury I suffered 11 years ago and sent me for X-rays. I tried telling him it felt more like muscle than joint pain, but at this point, the pain was so bad that I wasn't even sure anymore. Confusion started a few weeks ago, where I was struggling to think of words. 3 days ago, I quit taking it, and I slowly am feeling better. Thankfully I found these reviews today. Things are making more sense"

56 year old female May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Felt I was having a heart attack but without the chest pain. Every muscle in my body seemed to go into rigidity and I could not move. Heavy sweating. Severe pain in muscles and joints. Difficulty breathing that turned into wheezing and gasping for breath. Panic. Dizziness. This was my THIRD dose of medication."

spd1275 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Well, got my lab results and my cholesterol is 311. Not good. Dr put me on 20mg generic lipitor daily. By the 9th day oh man I was a mess. Brain fog, stomach pain, dizzy and kind of angry. So I decided to take the pill every other day. I read that it could be just as effective. It works wonders! No side effects taking 20mg every other day. My Dr don't know that I dropped down to every other day. She will know soon. I sent her an email just waiting for her to read it. So if daily dose is too much, try every other day or ask for the lower dose"

Sensitive to all meds May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "This drug does lower cholesterol levels. My high levels are genetic and I have stents from a heart attack at age 64. I'm 68 now and changing my diet has helped me feel better and lose weight, but I just can't take Lipitor for my higher than normal levels. The problem is the side affects. I suffer with allergies which cause me to cough and sneeze. I also have previously suffered with colitis which still acts up. I've been told that the drug is not related, but I've tried it for periods of about 3 to 5 months to get cholesterol levels in check. It works, but every time I take it I feel listless and depressed. Worst of all when I sneeze or cough from allergies I suffer anal leakage. When I stop it, I'm okay. It's just not worth it."

Mookie Wilson May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "Six days on 20mg and I could not walk from pain in my feet! The pain in my arms, legs and back are horrendous. This drug may be good for others but it is poison for this 81 yr. old. I question why my Dr. Prescribed it for me. It was not for cholesterol, my numbers are good. Have very small amount of heart disease that I am willing to live with. I hope that the damage done in six days will be history soon. Can you believe I went from being very active to unable to barely function in just six days, and now they say it will be 3 to 4 weeks before I will be back to normal, I pray."

Pat53 April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Been on liptitor for 2 months. Woke up on Monday with problems with my hands, memory loss, mood swings, and loss of thoughts. Doctor told me to discontinue. Hope everyday I get back to normal."

Mike 1 April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Been taking 10mg of atorvastatin for six months now. LDL was 188 now is 95 so a 50% drop. Total cholesterol from 263 to 136, again nearly 50%. Triglycerides from 154 to 40 which is like 75%. The only not stellar number was my HDL (the good cholesterol) which actually dropped from 44 to 33. Even though most peoples goes up slightly. While that is a concern overall the improvement in my numbers has my cardiologist pleased enough to continue the protocol. For everyone who complains of the muscle aches and pains, you need to be taking ubiquinol, not simply coQ10. I know if I go too many days without my ubiquinol I can be susceptible to the muscle issues too. 200mg of ubiquinol every day prevents this."

saps (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "At age 48 and good health, I took Atorvastatin/10mg for 1 year without symptoms. It lowered my bad cholesterol. Near the 1st year, I began experiencing significant/unusual leg weakness and knee pain when standing from a kneeling position. It got to the point that I always needed to brace myself on the sofa or coffee table when getting up after playing with my dog or toddler son. Rising from my desk required a push on the desk top. Then weakness and pain to my finger/shoulder joints and a "forgetfulness." Overall, I felt "Rickety." My MD said to stay on it. I decided otherwise and went off cold turkey one day. I've been off 2 years and I feel normal again, except for residual and reduced effect on my shoulder and hands."

Brian20176 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "I had a heart attack and my doc gave me this to take .Within days was worse off than before my heart attack. Always dizzy, confused, diarrhea, muscle cramps, short of breath, insomnia. I quit taking them and I feel so much better now and its only been 4 days since I quit taking them. This script is horrible and needs to be taken off the market!!Oh also headaches every damn day which i never ever had them before."

Anonymous March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Hi, my doctor prescribed me lipitor 10 mg. I have been taking it for 2 months. My cholesterol level was 210 total, now my total level is 167, LDL is lower and my HDL the same. I'm please to say that I don't or have had any side effects. I see many of you with side effects, I suggest exercise and drink lots of water. No side effects here, I'm happy."

Mr. Antonio (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2017