User Reviews for Atorvastatin

High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous
3.8

Summary of Atorvastatin reviews 5.5 148 reviews

Reviews for Atorvastatin

For High Cholesterol: "This drug caused Shortness of breath,. Sleep Apnea and Cramps. I could not walk 50 feet without resting from the shortness of breath. Taking Co Q 10 helped with the cramps. I tried different statins and they all did the same thing to me. For 6 months doctors tried to find a cure. I stopped taking the statins and and the sleep apnea and shortness of breath went away in 5 days. Doctor had a hard time believing it was the statin. I hope this helps someone. "

Sal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking statins for 3 years now and this site rates up there as a good resource for medication experience. There seems to be medication manufacturer/retail people posting here touting how great medications are. My advice is to be aware of anyone making statements that taking medications over lifestyle change is the answer. In 10 years from now if we have 10's of millions of people with cancer and liver disease what will they say then. Health care employs more people with very high salaries than any other profession and to keep it going there is no telling what they may do. Be careful and take care of your health and by that I do not mean taking more medications. It saddens me to see young people under 35 years old taking this drug. Please try all the lifestyle options before drugs."

wiggles (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I am an otherwise healthy 23 year old female. My new doctor ran a battery of blood tests and discovered my total cholesterol was 272! Started me on 20mg lipitor which brought it down to 202 after 2 months. Dosage was increased to 80mg since I have experienced no side effects. It is now at 142 after 4 months in total. Doctor is considering adding something else to get it down a bit more in 2 more months."

Beth233 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Get off this medication as quickly as you can, and do NOT take another statin ever. I was on a dose of 40mg daily for 2.5 years. I experienced muscle weakness, although I exercised daily, sexual dysfunction, memory lapses, joint pains, and many other symptoms associated with statin use. The topper: three months ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Only after doing a little research on statins did I understand that cholesterol is essential for health and actually protects against cancer, among other things. It's necessary for the formation of brain cells, muscle tissue, and sex hormones. I stopped taking my statins about 6 weeks ago and already feel better, though it will take some time to fully recover. So do your research, people. I believe this is a truly dangerous drug, as are all statins. And it does nothing to increase length of life."

Gourdman (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Prescribed 10mg daily but experienced muscle pains. I talked to my doctor and we agreed to splitting the 10mg pill in half. I take 5mg per day with no side effects. Cholesterol levels have dropped to almost near normal range."

COOKIE (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I'm 81 years old and have been on 40mg to 80 mg of lipitor for at least 10 years. It works wonders. No side effects."

whitehead (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I did not have a clue that Lipitor could give me so many severe side effects! Lower back, back of my legs, headaches, running nose, memory lost. I go blank for a few seconds, & lastly, speech impediment!!!! I have a medical appointment w/ my prime doctor next week & I will discuss w/him...."

Tainbow (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Been taking 20mg for 3 months. Zero side effects. Triglycerides were 311. Most recent blood test showed 125, which is in normal range. Good cholesterol was 23. Now is 50. Very effective drug. Sorry to all those people who are having negative side effects. Try something else and good luck. All medications work for some and not others. Telling people not to try this drug because it didn't work for you is just plain ignorant. The world doesn't revolve around you."

DUKSTER (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I can only speak for 6 days as atorvastatin is the 1st statin I have taken. My Dr. prescribed the 40 mg pill to lower my cholesterol. So far no side effects, other then that my dreams at night are move vivid, but I still am sleeping pretty well."

Steve G (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I too am taking lipitor. But my problem is how they change the shape and color. Now they are giving me peach and oval shape ones. I would like to know if anybody has these kind before."

Meanmawmaw (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 10, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Being treated for high Cholesterol and high blood pressure, Atorvastatin is one of the drugs I have been on for over four years now. Results have been positive for me and my Doctor has lowered my prescription from forty to twenty mg per day. I take one Atorvastatin at night, since I was told that the body produce Cholesterol at night time. So to get the full benefit of the statin I take it now, once a night with my medication for high blood pressure, Amlodipine. Which is another story, but positive, anyway I am positive about Atorvastatin and would recommend it. While at the same time, I would suggest that you watch your own reaction to any medication. Mostly any medication that deals with your heart, be careful. God Bless."

Zegota (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "My old Doctor felt my cholesterol, while a little high, did not warrant taking a medication. He retired and the interim Dr. said she felt my numbers would be better by taking atorvastatin 10 mg daily. My numbers came down, not as far as she would like, but good enough. I had no side effects so I have stayed on it for over a year. My new Dr. ran more tests and upped my dosage to 20 mg and numbers are down close to where he feels they should be. Still no side effects. Next refill, he wants to see how 40 mg does for lowering to where he wants me to be. I'm hopeful it will work and still no side effects. After reading what some other people's reactions to this medication, I feel pretty lucky."

Greybeard48 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 26, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I have been on Lipitor for 6 months. My cholesterol went down from 220 to 156, I was tested 2 months ago, therefore I hope it is going down. Fortunately, I don't have any side effect, Thank goodness."

Rlanguasco (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "My cholesterol level was 322 and my doctor prescribed Lipitor. I started to feel very weak. I was in pain constantly and I felt very tired and sore. I could not even do my daily chores. I thought I had some kind of flu. I continued to take Lipitor for about a year, and the symptoms just got worse. After the second year of taking Lipitor and my constant pain, soreness, and tiredness, and I lost my appetite. The doctor ordered a liver enzyme test. Lipitor was damaging my liver and I also was experiencing trouble with my kidneys. Though I didn't realized it then, Lipitor was the culprit of my aches and weakness, and was not effective in lowering my cholesterol much (only to 308 after taking Lipitor for more than two years.) I am not taking Lipitor anymore and I don't feel tired and exhausted. My doctor continues to ordered a liver enzyme test every year. It has never come back normal anymore. Please be careful!"

Be aware! (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Made my left cheek contract and twitch and my upper right arm after 2 doses waited 10 days then 2 more doses right hand fell asleep for 5 hours with right fore arm twitching all day so I'll ask for something different. Guess I'm an isolated case."

Spacecadet2020 January 17, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Have been taking low dosage of this drug for 10 years. It's very effective. Has lowered my cholesterol dramatically, combined with exercise and low fat diet."

S.R. January 11, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I had tried about 3 statins and could not take them due to the aches and energy loss. I them was given lipitor. I took it for 3 months with no problem, then I start having memory loss. I stopped the drug and that had now been about 2 years. The loss is better but still comes and goes. Being a pharmacist I am keenly aware of side effects and that is major!!"

MsAnniee (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Had by pass surgery, six of them, and was put on an 80MG dose of atorvastatin. Before surgery my LDL was 114, total was 214, HDL was 82 and triglyceride was 88. After one week on an 80 mg dose my values were 73, 166, 80 and 65. I was pleased and no side effects. Then after 5 months I began getting itching on my back and arms that drove me batty. My memory seemed to be suffering. The final straw was a complete loss of strength in my left leg, near the calf muscle. I could not even walk up my stairs. I immediately stopped taking atorvastatin and within two days the muscle returned to normal and the itching got way less severe. Memory also improved. I am 77 years old and have always been a runner so am in very good shape."

ELSAELSA (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Been on atorvastin for about 3 -4 weeks the first couple of weeks felt very fuzzy and light headed eyes wouldn’t focus additionally had sharp stabbing pain in my back. Stopped taking them for a week then started again now I’m getting chest tightness aches around chest and back plus heart pounding all the time esp at night which is messing with my sleep ( haven’t slept much at all since taking this drug come to think of it) Also had bad farts embarrassing as I don’t know when it will happen. Sick of being a test patient for my doctor ... stopping tomorrow"

Hugh gasm (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "I've only been on atorvastatin calcium for 8 days and I have the WORST muscle pain. I could barely sit up straight on the toilet, let alone bend my legs. I feel stinging sensations and I'm itching like crazy."

pookie132 December 5, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "After a single bypass I was put on Atonvastatin in end of May. My first blood test after being on the drug was total= 147, HDL 56, LDL 70 and tri glycerides 106. I went on vacation and did not take the drug for 3 to 4 weeks - also not the best eating habits on vacation - but felt good. Then had my second test and went up total 220 - HDL 66 , LDL 133, and tri 103. Dr said to get back on the med. I only take 10mg a day but I always feel tired now that I am back on. What I don't like is my Dr says they want my LDL down to 50 ?? To put thing in perspective - my test 9 month before surgery was total 212, HDL 57 LDL 143 tri 62 - also I am 68 and had been very active."

superempi December 4, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "So I've only been on this a few weeks, but it makes me feel awful. My cholesterol is very high, and I haven't been retested yet (a few more weeks) but I want to sleep all day, I feel off (kind of dizzy and nauseated) I get majorly constipated to the point that I can't go for a few days, which is very unusual for me. When I lay down or sit up (not even fast) the ceiling spins as if I were drunk. I took it upon myself to cut it in half and take it every other day instead. That is better, but I still feel off and worse on the mornings after I take it. My dose was 20mg a day. As far as diet and exercise, that's out because I can barely wake up, and have NO energy. Once I do get up and do things, I want to pass out or vomit."

fattysox November 24, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "My Dr has me on Atorvastatin 80 mgs. I did not see one person here with a dosage this high. I am miserable. My stomach rumbles all day and night. I have uncontrollable gas all day and night. I am afraid to have company or to go out because I cannot hold this gas. My legs and back hurt and my memory is pitiful. I did not know that Atorvastatin was Lipitor. I do know that I was prescribed Lipitor 20 years ago and got very sick. I will be asking my Dr to change this medication. I am done."

JeanieBoo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "Started taking Atorvastatin because the Crestor I was taking previously became far too expensive for me to afford after the promotional discounts ran out and my insurance plan changed, resulting in my having to pick up the entire tab of $920 every 3 months. Atorvastatin, on the other hand, while not quite as effective, was far cheaper, at $30 per 90 days. The test results, while not nearly as good as Crestor (which was AMAZING),but are still acceptable, with some results a bit beyond the normal ranges, while with Crestor, every result was perfect. Zero side effects. Considering the very low cost of Atorvastatin, I am overall quite happy with it. Age 57. Started taking after a massive heart attack and quintuple bypass surgery."

Giles Habibula (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 13, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "Dad died of heart attack three years ago. Then two years later my brother had heart attack from blockage and almost died. My cholesterol is 512. Been taking this statin about 3 weeks. I'm miserable. Leg pain/ cramps. Pain down both arms but mainly left one. Totally weak all over. Lower leg pain both sides. Tight chest every night. Heat pounds all the time now. Barely can sleep a couple hours a night if I'm lucky. Sour stomach every night have to take antacids at bedtime. Can't function during the day. I gotta go see my Doc now that I know this med is the cause. 43 year old fairly active, average weight male."

Big Al 1701 October 9, 2017