User Reviews for Atorvastatin

Also known as: Lipitor

Learn more about Atorvastatin.

High Cholesterol, Fa...ial Heterozygous 3 reviews 16 medications

High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous 3 reviews 10 medications

3.8
Summary of Atorvastatin reviews 106 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Atorvastatin

For Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "Six days on 20mg and I could not walk from pain in my feet! The pain in my arms, legs and back are horrendous. This drug may be good for others but it is poison for this 81 yr. old. I question why my Dr. Prescribed it for me. It was not for cholesterol, my numbers are good. Have very small amount of heart disease that I am willing to live with. I hope that the damage done in six days will be history soon. Can you believe I went from being very active to unable to barely function in just six days, and now they say it will be 3 to 4 weeks before I will be back to normal, I pray."

Pat53 April 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "Been on liptitor for 2 months. Woke up on Monday with problems with my hands, memory loss, mood swings, and loss of thoughts. Doctor told me to discontinue. Hope everyday I get back to normal."

Mike 1 April 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "Been taking 10mg of atorvastatin for six months now. LDL was 188 now is 95 so a 50% drop. Total cholesterol from 263 to 136, again nearly 50%. Triglycerides from 154 to 40 which is like 75%. The only not stellar number was my HDL (the good cholesterol) which actually dropped from 44 to 33. Even though most peoples goes up slightly. While that is a concern overall the improvement in my numbers has my cardiologist pleased enough to continue the protocol. For everyone who complains of the muscle aches and pains, you need to be taking ubiquinol, not simply coQ10. I know if I go too many days without my ubiquinol I can be susceptible to the muscle issues too. 200mg of ubiquinol every day prevents this."

saps (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "At age 48 and good health, I took Atorvastatin/10mg for 1 year without symptoms. It lowered my bad cholesterol. Near the 1st year, I began experiencing significant/unusual leg weakness and knee pain when standing from a kneeling position. It got to the point that I always needed to brace myself on the sofa or coffee table when getting up after playing with my dog or toddler son. Rising from my desk required a push on the desk top. Then weakness and pain to my finger/shoulder joints and a "forgetfulness." Overall, I felt "Rickety." My MD said to stay on it. I decided otherwise and went off cold turkey one day. I've been off 2 years and I feel normal again, except for residual and reduced effect on my shoulder and hands."

Brian20176 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "I had a heart attack and my doc gave me this to take .Within days was worse off than before my heart attack. Always dizzy, confused, diarrhea, muscle cramps, short of breath, insomnia. I quit taking them and I feel so much better now and its only been 4 days since I quit taking them. This script is horrible and needs to be taken off the market!!Oh also headaches every damn day which i never ever had them before."

Anonymous March 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "Hi, my doctor prescribed me lipitor 10 mg. I have been taking it for 2 months. My cholesterol level was 210 total, now my total level is 167, LDL is lower and my HDL the same. I'm please to say that I don't or have had any side effects. I see many of you with side effects, I suggest exercise and drink lots of water. No side effects here, I'm happy."

Mr. Antonio (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "No doubt Lipitor at any dose does lowers your numbers. But what does that really mean, has plaque in your arteries reduced by same percentage ? I think not. Still statins might have their place but who can tolerate them, very few if you research. I just wish the doctors would push and insist on diet/exercise plans before prescribing statins. Was on Liptor only 10 mg for 18 months, numbers down but felt like crap. The usual intense body muscle aches. Off for a week now and my body is telling me already it needs a break from statin drugs. I'm totally satisfied to move forward and roll dice with diet/exercise. Doctor is in full agreement to drop statin for now. 66 year old male and still very active despite some heart failure."

Jimmy Don March 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "When I was originally put on this statin it was on a low dose of 10 mg a day to reduce cholesterol. I had or recall very few side effects. I combined the drug with exercise and diet. My cholesterol was lowered and remained low. Doctors have kept me on the drug and now at the age of 71 I now experience headaches a bloated rumbling and very uncomfortable digestive system, hives, muscle aches and other adverse effects that now interfere with my diet and exercise. Doctors seem to be reluctant to lower doses but these adverse effects now materially are affecting my quality of life."

Eric1234 March 17, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I had extremely high hopes for this cholesterol buster and had the best attitude and hopes for this medication but definitely did not work out. My cholesterol level was 225 and my left carotid artery via a Doppler was 50-70 percent narrowed. Changed my diet immediately, started exercising, put plans in play to stop smoking and in thinking with Lipitor I'd give myself the best possible chance to reverse the plaque. Doctor prescribed 10mg, was only able to tolerate it a week. The first 4 days, no side effects, excited as heck, the 5th day off and on I started experiencing a twighlight zone brain fog that would last 10-15 minutes. Felt like a couldn't clinch a thought, felt foggy, happened 2x the 5th day, 4x the 6th day, no more......"

Cindy707 March 15, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "67 years old reasonably fit male until I had a mini stroke in Jan 17. In hospital they put me on 80mg atorvastatin once a day. Within four weeks every muscle in my body ached. Went to the doctors and he reduced the dose to 40mg a day. Another three weeks later I couldn't get out of bed or walk due to aching muscles. Stopped taking them completely and within three days felt thirty per cent better. Another three weeks have gone bye and still ache like hell. They might lower cholesterol for some people and be a godsend but I never want to see another one in my life. They have ruined my way of life."

Pearcey49 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "Been taking 20mg atovastatin for 7.5 years with no ill effects but I also take coq10 daily . Total cholesterol 213 to 112 , LDL 119 to 42"

Sabrina1234 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 6, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "I was put on 20mg atorvastatin for 2 months.From the first couple weeks I noticed a rise in my blood pressure every three days with severe cramping up my left arm to my head and down my left leg. Most times I get so fearful that I might be about to suffer a stroke. I noticed that my memory sometimes goes hay wire and now I am beginning to have difficulties in swallowing my own saliva during resting periods. I am also suffering from discharging of clear salty phlegm via spitting when I do not have a cold. I have to put up with constant dizzy spells,muscle pain and muscle twitching but I am still taking the drug due to the fact that I really wanna get my total cholesterol down from 329 and most importantly my bad cholesterol down from 265."

Aloy. February 28, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "I had very high cholesterol, 280. Prescribed Atorvastatin 20 mg, Began to have erratic blood pressure within a week of taking it going as high as 190 over 100, sending me rushing to the ER. Doctor put me on BP meds and upped my Atorvastatin to 40MG. Within a week the erratic BP continued and I developed a cough with Phlegm most noticeable at night before sleep and when I awoke. I then developed acute dizziness, severe soreness in chest and lungs, significant pain in my surgically repaired tendon in my hand, numbness that ran up my arm to my head on one side of my body. My labs came back with my total cholesterol reduced to 125. But I became prediabetic, liver function abnormal, and creative protein rising from 1 to 6. I stopped taking it."

taxmeless February 19, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "My doctor put me on 10 mg of Atorvastatin and after checking my cholesterol after 3 months increases my Atorvastatin to 20 mg. I didn't feel the side effects right away perhaps 3 months after taking them my feet felt like bricks and it was harder to walk because I had neuropathy I just thought it was just getting worse, we have stairs and I felt like my femur muscle was rubbing against my bone, just a slight sensation there, I knew this was different but what can I do, was I just getting older? I had with in the next few days both my knees would give out with pain behind them hard to get off toilet with out pain, Got off Atorvastatin on my own.. notice I was getting better, OFF 2 WEEKS NOW 99.9% BETTER! It was Atorvastain!"

Suseee January 23, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "Prescribed 10mg. Side effects started with upset stomach (improved with always taking with food). Within a couple weeks, the side effects exploded. No idea of whether or not it improved my labs (they were not supposed to be drawn for 2 more weeks).I am a vegetarian (no meat of any kind, no dairy milk, do eat some dairy cheese and eggs) and also a licensed massage therapist (so I know "normal" muscle tension or joint pain and how to improve it). My side effects (in no particular order): muscle cramps/pain/weakness/swelling/tightness, tiredness, diarrhea/intestinal cramping, increased ringing in the ears, and depression/angry mood swings. 3 days without med- pain, etc continues to improve."

cholab7 January 19, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "I was prescribed statins. Side effects were many of those listed here by other users so I stopped taking them. I can, with 80 percent confidence say within 5 years statins will be banned or have the famous black label warning box."

No Koolaide January 2, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Started with 10mg daily. After 3 months my cholesterol level just in borderline, so the dosage was increased to 40mg daily. This dose gave me muscle tissue pain on my right knee so I self discontinued."

cholblood December 30, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "A drug with many side effects. I had migraine, painful headaches. I don't want to see this drug again!! It's really too bad."

Claudia Rod November 23, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "I have been on this drug atorvastin 10mgfor about 2years after taking one year I developed so many side effects which I don't know they were due to this drug I developed severe headache,dizziness,migrane,hortflushes,sweating,chill,shivering one side body pains,sinus pain,sore,eyes I ruin my life I wasted lot of money hoping for a cure to ent doctors cardiologist,physician neurologist etc. Nobody listen to me only prescribe pain killers,nerve tablets I used to cry all the time I wondered if I would die. Finally I came to research and got the reviews of patients decided myself to quit this medicine which is poison. After one month I am slowly improving thank to this site which is helping the patients as today's doctors have no time to listen."

Farruq November 1, 2016

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Atorvastatin did lower my cholesterol quite a bit, but within the first couple of weeks I developed muscle pain in the back of one knee. After another week, I developed muscle pain in the calf of the other leg. My doctor doesn't think this was caused by Atorvastatin. He believes it is arthritis. He ordered an xray of knee and blood test for liver function. Waiting for results. If pain is from arthritis. I will continue taking medicine. If Atorvastatin is affecting muscles or liver, I may discontinue or ask to switch to another statin."

Senor Citizen (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "69 year old male. New to statins. Have started on Atorvastatin and in the first 80 days, with no side effects, cholesterol has dropped from 258 to 179, LDL to 100, and LDL/HDL ratio to 2.2. So... success! Very pleased."

Js1000 October 30, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "Im a 51yr old male prescribed 10mg of Atorvastatin. I sleep much better with little leg cramps if any at all. I drink plenty of water which helps with cramps and dehydration which is my cause of leg cramps. I have no side effects of nightmares only good dreams that I can remember."

Man Squito (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "I was given 10 mg atorvasatin by my doctor who say my cholesterol was high, took them for 2 months now, I felt sweaty on my neck and backache . Didn't know what causes all these symptoms . I'm 56 yrs old, came into this forum to check the side effect of satin, now I know after reading similar stories, I also have chills at night too. Going to see my Gp soon whether to stop taking them atorvasatin. Going to try natural ways for my well being ,"

Jan Yeo October 5, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: "This drug is the absolute worst in the world for me. I have been on it for five years or more and being in excruciating pain for three of those years. I have been on Tylenol three, Codiene contin and hydromorphone and the doctor argued every time when I went in to get more pain meds. My legs have been in unbelievable pain for so long I can't honestly think of the time when I was not in pain. I just started reading about this and stopped taking Lipitor and told the doctor that I would never go back on it again. In about a month I have started to feel better but I am left with weak legs and a huge bill from the chiropractor, massage therapist, acupuncturist, exercise therapist and naturopathic doctor. I have had three trips to the hospital emergency department with no help in the long run. I am very very angry. I hope my lingering pain goes away soon."

Lollipop 2 September 14, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Here is the trouble with these sites - the skew towards horror stories. There is also a handful who claim that statins are "poison" and "should be taken off the market". This is, clearly, an overreaction by those who have the adverse reaction, which - despite what you would think from reading these reviews - are very low frequency events. Statins are probably as close to a wonder drug as modern pharmacology has ever gotten. Yes, there are those who are intolerant, allergic, or simply confused as to the genesis of their symptoms. The truth is, statins work for the vast majority of people taking them, and they work well. Having said this, I am also perplexed as to why some folks in their later 70s or even 80s are taking them?"

98zeitgeist78 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2016