User Reviews for Atorvastatin

High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous
3.8

Summary of Atorvastatin reviews 5.2 164 reviews

Reviews for Atorvastatin

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "How is this stuff legal? 5 urgent care and 2 ER trips, and no one related the Lipitor to my pains. I had severe muscle cramps everywhere. Deep excruciating pain in glute muscles that had me in physical therapy. Itching and tingling on face and extremities. Stabbing pain in various muscles that concludes with lasting aches and difficulty with motion. Fatigue too. Been on for over a year then looked up side effects and called my doctor. Took statin specific blood test and have to have test to see if my muscle fibers have broken down. I'm a walking side effect commercial...and it's not fun."

Rossy April 1, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I have had high cholesterol for years so was put on Atorvistatin and it was a nightmare. Besides muscle pain and aches, the worst side effect is muscle weakness. I'm talking flat out atrophy of my leg muscles. I'm in my 50's, and the effect has been horrible on quality of life. I fall easily. I finally got off of this drug and switched to another Statin"

USC (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 31, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "Have been taking lipitor for for 2 months. Went to Dr for yearly check up and blood work. My white blood count was low at 2.8 the only changes I have made since last check up is the addition of lipitor and Keto diet. The last 2 weeks I have been dizzy and have headaches and insomnia. Not sure if I should quit taking the drug or quit my diet."

Beanee (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "My Dr prescribed me atorvastatin 10mg, 8 weeks ago. My numbers are in the 200's. I was very hesitant because of the bad side effects I have heard other people tell me about but everyone is different, so I decided to give it a try. As of today, I took myself off of it. I have gained 12 lbs, experienced muscle weakness, muscle aches, back pain, brain fog, memory issues, confusion, headaches, and fatigue. I explained to my Dr that I was having bad side effects and she told me to stay on it and just "wait it out" and the good will outweigh the bad. I have become very inactive and sleep all the time. I haven't exercised at all and with the weight gain, that has made my health deteriorate....not improve. I am going to try Niacin instead. In the long run, I realize that eating healthy and exercise is the best way to keep my body in the best shape possible. My health is important to me, but so is my quality of life. Try this drug at your own risk."

sadie51 March 21, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I believe atorvastatin caused me to have restless legs and adversely effected my sleep. My RLS is much better since I quit taking it."

PJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "Wish I could rate this a zero. After only 3 days on atorvastatin 20mg I experienced constant headache, muscle pain and weakness, dizziness, couldn't sleep, tingling in the arms and legs and ringing in the ears. Well turns out after doing more research into these toxic drugs I was indeed being slowly poisoned. Stopped after 9 days and things are improving slowly. These drugs stop the essential HMG-CoA pathway in the body which produces many molecules that are essential for cellular health. They also build up in muscle tissue in their toxic lactone form. This is especially serious if you have an acidic blood pH. There are genetic variations in the bodies ability to clear these through the liver that can lead to a dangerous build-up of these drugs in your body. This basic biology is all hard science and confirmed by peer-reviewed studies. Educate yourself and make your own decision before letting your doctor scare you into taking these dangerous drugs."

rivervan February 20, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I live in Australia. I am 74. On 29th January had a cardiac stent in left circumflex artery. I was on Crestor 10mg daily, Prior to procedure I had no symptoms, went to gym for an hour 3-4 times a week. After successful procedure at the hospital my meds were changed including changing Crestor to 80 mg Atrovastatin daily. As I was walking out of the hospital I felt a little breathless. So went to the emegency dept at local hospital. Nothing much was done there. My wife told me that my skin colour was strange and yellowish. When discharged, because of the coincidence between feeling unwell and change in medication, and as I could not see a doctor straight away I took myself off the new meds and reverted back to the old one and went to see a dr the next day. He told me I did the right thing. Now, after taking Atrovastatin for four days and not having it for the past four days, I feel fit but still a bit tired, but people at work still comment about my yellowish skin colour."

billie February 7, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I’ve been on Pravastatins 20 mg. For 5 yrs. Cholesterol was 225. It never went down. I do enjoy my cocktails, wine in the evening..nothing changed. My liver enzymes for 18 years always stayed at 20-21 ( range is 4-43) in August 2018, went in for my quarterly bloodwork..no change. Doctor put me on Lipitor 20 mg with next bloodwork to be done in January. Well, I also started the Keto diet in January..high fat, protein diet..low carbs, sugar. Surprise!! My cholesterol went from 226 to 165! Glucose was down and very good! However..it compromised my liver.. my enzymes skyrocketed to 99 and 110 (again range 4-43) he immediately took me off Lipitor...now, he doesn’t want me to drink any alcohol for 2 months..test will be in March..so, what’s the culprit?? Diet or Lipitor? He said to continue with diet, just cut the fat down.."

Lilwsky (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I was on this medication for close to ten years I've had problems with it -cramps and muscles weakness. Went to my doctor and told him about the problems I was having and they said it couldn't be the cholesterol medicine I've been on it too long."

Bobbie (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 2, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Severe muscle pain, and skin pain couldn’t stand my bra touching my skin, my Dr. took me off of it, she said I should have let her know sooner she would have changed it."

Leisa (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 31, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking Atorvastatin 10 Mg along with Olmesartan 40 mg. for 3.5 months. About one month ago I started waking up with my right hand almost locked in a semi-closed fist. In particular, the middle finger could not be straightened for at least 30 mins and was very painful. In the past two weeks, I have experienced serious muscles and joint pains all over my body. I thought it was caused by the Olmesartan and with the doctors, approval started taking 20mg rather than 40mg. This did not help so I was told to stop taking Atorvastatin for the next couple of day. Well, one day off the Atorvastatin has given me real relief from the serious pain that was making life miserable and keeping me from sleeping The pain in the right hand is still there but it is less painful. I am due to see the Doctor on 11/5/2018, to discuss the issues and find a drug without the serious side effects. I hope this helps everyone on these drugs."

henryn46 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Horrible drug !!!! Felt dizzy all the time, blurred vision. Seen halos around lights, light sensitivity!!! Felt weak couldn’t focus on anything, could barely get out of bed . Never again."

Vic (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I took 10mg atorvastatin for 8 months. During that time I slowly had the following side effects; extreme tiredness. Memory loss and confusion. Muscle weakness trouble walking. My arm muscles became useless. Joint pain in my middle finger where I had trouble bending my finger. Facial twitching. Pressure in my chest Thyroid nodule swelling. Blurred vision off and on and extreme sensitivity to light. Uncontrollable eye jumping. I have been diagnosed with Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) which I fully believe that due to the sensitivity of light. The LED lighting in a grocery store damaged my retinas. But what I can't understand is out of all the doctors through out all my symptoms not one connected it to atorvastatin! I was drinking gallons of water, I began to have trouble urinating. That is when I started researching the detailed side effects of atorvastatin! I was completely horrified of the dangers and I stopped taking it."

Totally frustrated October 7, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Went on atorvastatin because I had a fully blocked vertebral artery in the back of my neck and a partially blocked vertebral artery that required a stent. Within three days, I started getting a flushing of the skin of face and neck. Then the muscle soreness kicked in along with stiffness in other muscles. This gradually increased into neck muscles and finger muscles. I also developed weakness in all extremities. I was also in a fog at times and it was difficult to concentrate at work. I also had trouble focusing my vision. All of this happened over the six weeks that I was taking the drug. Have to be on something to lower cholesterol until stent is placed so doctor put me on another statin. However, I believe in quality of life over quantity of life so if the new statin continues like the old one, I will stop taking them and switch to berberine, which the scientific studies I have seen show to be just as effective at reducing cholesterol. My doctor is okay with this plan."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I had a TIA August 11th and the Dr. prescribed 40 mg of Atorvastin. I became so tired and had blood work done and my ALT level was 488! Thankfully my ALT is down to 192 since stopping it 15 days ago. I would never take another medication that you need to check liver levels. Who knows what lasting effects this could have in my future. Very Scary."

Sharky (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I am 50 years old, soon as I started to take these tablets , I have felt weak and have not been able to ejaculate when having sex with my partner. My cholesterol isn't that high either. So if you are still sexually active , keep away from this!"

Davy (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "This drug caused Shortness of breath,. Sleep Apnea and Cramps. I could not walk 50 feet without resting from the shortness of breath. Taking Co Q 10 helped with the cramps. I tried different statins and they all did the same thing to me. For 6 months doctors tried to find a cure. I stopped taking the statins and and the sleep apnea and shortness of breath went away in 5 days. Doctor had a hard time believing it was the statin. I hope this helps someone. "

Sal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking statins for 3 years now and this site rates up there as a good resource for medication experience. There seems to be medication manufacturer/retail people posting here touting how great medications are. My advice is to be aware of anyone making statements that taking medications over lifestyle change is the answer. In 10 years from now if we have 10's of millions of people with cancer and liver disease what will they say then. Health care employs more people with very high salaries than any other profession and to keep it going there is no telling what they may do. Be careful and take care of your health and by that I do not mean taking more medications. It saddens me to see young people under 35 years old taking this drug. Please try all the lifestyle options before drugs."

wiggles (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I am an otherwise healthy 23 year old female. My new doctor ran a battery of blood tests and discovered my total cholesterol was 272! Started me on 20mg lipitor which brought it down to 202 after 2 months. Dosage was increased to 80mg since I have experienced no side effects. It is now at 142 after 4 months in total. Doctor is considering adding something else to get it down a bit more in 2 more months."

Beth233 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Get off this medication as quickly as you can, and do NOT take another statin ever. I was on a dose of 40mg daily for 2.5 years. I experienced muscle weakness, although I exercised daily, sexual dysfunction, memory lapses, joint pains, and many other symptoms associated with statin use. The topper: three months ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Only after doing a little research on statins did I understand that cholesterol is essential for health and actually protects against cancer, among other things. It's necessary for the formation of brain cells, muscle tissue, and sex hormones. I stopped taking my statins about 6 weeks ago and already feel better, though it will take some time to fully recover. So do your research, people. I believe this is a truly dangerous drug, as are all statins. And it does nothing to increase length of life."

Gourdman (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Prescribed 10mg daily but experienced muscle pains. I talked to my doctor and we agreed to splitting the 10mg pill in half. I take 5mg per day with no side effects. Cholesterol levels have dropped to almost near normal range."

COOKIE (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I'm 81 years old and have been on 40mg to 80 mg of lipitor for at least 10 years. It works wonders. No side effects."

whitehead (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I did not have a clue that Lipitor could give me so many severe side effects! Lower back, back of my legs, headaches, running nose, memory lost. I go blank for a few seconds, & lastly, speech impediment!!!! I have a medical appointment w/ my prime doctor next week & I will discuss w/him...."

Tainbow (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Been taking 20mg for 3 months. Zero side effects. Triglycerides were 311. Most recent blood test showed 125, which is in normal range. Good cholesterol was 23. Now is 50. Very effective drug. Sorry to all those people who are having negative side effects. Try something else and good luck. All medications work for some and not others. Telling people not to try this drug because it didn't work for you is just plain ignorant. The world doesn't revolve around you."

DUKSTER (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I can only speak for 6 days as atorvastatin is the 1st statin I have taken. My Dr. prescribed the 40 mg pill to lower my cholesterol. So far no side effects, other then that my dreams at night are move vivid, but I still am sleeping pretty well."

Steve G (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2018