User Reviews for Atorvastatin to treat Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease

Also known as: Lipitor

Atorvastatin Rating Summary

4.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 41 medications used in the treatment of Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease.

Reviews for Atorvastatin

Bones · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 30, 2020

“I was on statins for about 3 years. My cholesterol was never that high but my doctor was concerned about build up of bad cholesterol affecting my heart. Started zocor at 20mg and after 3 years 40mg. I had an experience of blurred vision and thought maybe should go to ER. They did MRI of brain and found I had very small old stroke. Before I was discharged Doctor changed me to Lipitor 40mg. Saw a neurologist and he did more brain scans with dye this time and also did a MRA of the veins from my neck. All looked good with no blockage and veins to brain looked good too with no narrowing. After about 3 weeks on Lipitor I got bad side effects with headache, brain fog and muscle ache in legs and back pain and dizzy. Played golf that day and was barely able to finish. Came home and after doing a lot of research decided to stop taking statins. The long term side effects are scary. I will watch my diet and control my cholesterol that way. Will never do statins again.”

Sky December 16, 2019

“After carotid artery surgery my doctor Prescribed atorvastatin 80mg. After awhile I began having leg, buttocks and back pain. I started feeling light headed and very tired. Wondering if this product causes muscle pain.?”

Sphen October 5, 2019

“I was diagnosed with heart disease 10 weeks ago with main artery blocked 90%, other blocked 70% and some others 40% and 30%. Underwent a stent for main blockage and cardiologist put me straight on medication including 80mg of Lipitor. I suffer from reaction to medication and straight away had back pain mainly in middle and down right side. The plain was not good, but I decided I needed to beat this thing and the best way was to push through hoping my body would adjust. I underwent major lifestyle changes in what I ate and drank, exercised at least 150minutes a week and keep taking the Lipitor dispute the pain. I can say that after about 10 weeks I have started to feel better. Cholesterol is down to 2.8, numbness on soul of feet is 90% better, back pain is also 80% better. Feeling the best I have for years. ”

Product user · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “I was put on Lipitor after a mild heart-attack and stent placement. A short time after starting the script, my hands started hurting daily. They woke me up at night. Then the pain spread through out my body . It got so bad I could not push up off a chair or bed. Nothing helped. It was nerve and muscle pain. Took it for a year before the doctor finally heard me and took me off Lipitor to see if that was the cause. Within days the pain started letting up . Now 4 months later I’m back to normal. The pain was so bad I thought I was terminal and felt that way to the point of writing out a will . Not everyone has this reaction . But pay attention if you start taking it and then have body pain. It can be dangerous. I don’t know what long term effect may show up later from it. Now my hands still hurt daily from it . But less than when I was on the pill.”

Tj · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “Worst side effects I could imagine. The pelvic and leg pain was so bad I couldn't sleep for six days until my Dr told me to stop!! The pain was worse than anything I have experienced. Including child birth!!! Drs should not be so quick to jump to this drug!!!!! It also messed with my kidneys have been on antibiotics for 2 weeks trying to get them back to a normal level. My opinion BAD DRUG!!!!!!”

Not impressed · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 18, 2019

“I started on 80 mg of atorvastatin after receiving a stent following a blocked coronary artery . " After researching . I told GP I wasn't happy , and she suggested a lower dose 40 mg. After one and a half years I ended up with diabetes 2, memory problems , heartburn , blurred vision , joint pain , stiffness , cramping . My memory recovered as did digestive problems a few weeks after stopping them . I wish I hadn't taken them at all .horrible !”

Miniek · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2017

“Doctor put me on a 20mg dosage because I have diabetes 2. He said that my numbers are not that high but to prevent a heart attack. I been taking them for three days and I'm feeling depressed my legs feel heavy the back of my neck is killing me . I wake up with my left hand numb. I really don't know what should I do.”

Pat53 April 21, 2017

“Six days on 20mg and I could not walk from pain in my feet! The pain in my arms, legs and back are horrendous. This drug may be good for others but it is poison for this 81 yr. old. I question why my Dr. Prescribed it for me. It was not for cholesterol, my numbers are good. Have very small amount of heart disease that I am willing to live with. I hope that the damage done in six days will be history soon. Can you believe I went from being very active to unable to barely function in just six days, and now they say it will be 3 to 4 weeks before I will be back to normal, I pray.”

Lollipop 2 September 14, 2016

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “This drug is the absolute worst in the world for me. I have been on it for five years or more and being in excruciating pain for three of those years. I have been on Tylenol three, Codiene contin and hydromorphone and the doctor argued every time when I went in to get more pain meds. My legs have been in unbelievable pain for so long I can't honestly think of the time when I was not in pain. I just started reading about this and stopped taking Lipitor and told the doctor that I would never go back on it again. In about a month I have started to feel better but I am left with weak legs and a huge bill from the chiropractor, massage therapist, acupuncturist, exercise therapist and naturopathic doctor. I have had three trips to the hospital emergency department with no help in the long run. I am very very angry. I hope my lingering pain goes away soon.”

old joe · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 13, 2016

“4 yrs of pure hell, bladder damage, leaky heart valve ,damage to joints,eyes,liver,stopped taking it getting better every day”

Dhjyytffghuy October 28, 2015

“20mg a day gave me stomach pains. Went to 10mg. Works good, no side effects.”

Kpreuss · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 26, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “Continuous muscle pain on back of both thighs. Discontinued use after two weeks & a few days and the pain is gone.”

Anonymous September 11, 2009

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “I used Zocor for first statin follin angioplasty December 2009. I must state that I have a high degree of sensitivity to medications and high degree of allergies. With Zocor, I experienced abdominal cramps increasing daily, muscle pain and off and on nausea. The cramps were a concern because I have experienced anemia in the past. My doctor, whom I trust with my life, suggested that I not take Zocor. After several months I had blood work, my LDH still higher than doctor wanted, so he prescribed Lipitor. I had same bad effects, but on a higher level. Fortunately, my doctor trusts my reports. There is one "weird" change that I have not shared with my doctor, but I am sharing with all of you. In several days, and increasingly, I am losing hair. Help me!”

user797271 August 4, 2009

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “I have taken Lipitor for over two years. HDL are 76 total cholesterol is 147. Appears to be working properly. Have full blood tests every six months.”

Learn more about Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease