User Reviews for Atorvastatin

Also known as: Lipitor

Atorvastatin Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 305 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Atorvastatin to treat High Cholesterol

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I too am taking lipitor. But my problem is how they change the shape and color. Now they are giving me peach and oval shape ones. I would like to know if anybody has these kind before."

Meanmawmaw (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 10, 2018

"Being treated for high Cholesterol and high blood pressure, Atorvastatin is one of the drugs I have been on for over four years now. Results have been positive for me and my Doctor has lowered my prescription from forty to twenty mg per day. I take one Atorvastatin at night, since I was told that the body produce Cholesterol at night time. So to get the full benefit of the statin I take it now, once a night with my medication for high blood pressure, Amlodipine. Which is another story, but positive, anyway I am positive about Atorvastatin and would recommend it. While at the same time, I would suggest that you watch your own reaction to any medication. Mostly any medication that deals with your heart, be careful. God Bless."

Zegota (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2018

"My old Doctor felt my cholesterol, while a little high, did not warrant taking a medication. He retired and the interim Dr. said she felt my numbers would be better by taking atorvastatin 10 mg daily. My numbers came down, not as far as she would like, but good enough. I had no side effects so I have stayed on it for over a year. My new Dr. ran more tests and upped my dosage to 20 mg and numbers are down close to where he feels they should be. Still no side effects. Next refill, he wants to see how 40 mg does for lowering to where he wants me to be. I'm hopeful it will work and still no side effects. After reading what some other people's reactions to this medication, I feel pretty lucky."

Greybeard48 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 26, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I have been on Lipitor for 6 months. My cholesterol went down from 220 to 156, I was tested 2 months ago, therefore I hope it is going down. Fortunately, I don't have any side effect, Thank goodness."

Rlanguasco (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "My cholesterol level was 322 and my doctor prescribed Lipitor. I started to feel very weak. I was in pain constantly and I felt very tired and sore. I could not even do my daily chores. I thought I had some kind of flu. I continued to take Lipitor for about a year, and the symptoms just got worse. After the second year of taking Lipitor and my constant pain, soreness, and tiredness, and I lost my appetite. The doctor ordered a liver enzyme test. Lipitor was damaging my liver and I also was experiencing trouble with my kidneys. Though I didn't realized it then, Lipitor was the culprit of my aches and weakness, and was not effective in lowering my cholesterol much (only to 308 after taking Lipitor for more than two years.) I am not taking Lipitor anymore and I don't feel tired and exhausted. My doctor continues to ordered a liver enzyme test every year. It has never come back normal anymore. Please be careful!"

Be aware! (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2018

"Made my left cheek contract and twitch and my upper right arm after 2 doses waited 10 days then 2 more doses right hand fell asleep for 5 hours with right fore arm twitching all day so I'll ask for something different. Guess I'm an isolated case."

Spacecadet2020 January 17, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "Have been taking low dosage of this drug for 10 years. It's very effective. Has lowered my cholesterol dramatically, combined with exercise and low fat diet."

S.R. January 11, 2018

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I had tried about 3 statins and could not take them due to the aches and energy loss. I them was given lipitor. I took it for 3 months with no problem, then I start having memory loss. I stopped the drug and that had now been about 2 years. The loss is better but still comes and goes. Being a pharmacist I am keenly aware of side effects and that is major!!"

MsAnniee (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2018

"Had by pass surgery, six of them, and was put on an 80MG dose of atorvastatin. Before surgery my LDL was 114, total was 214, HDL was 82 and triglyceride was 88. After one week on an 80 mg dose my values were 73, 166, 80 and 65. I was pleased and no side effects. Then after 5 months I began getting itching on my back and arms that drove me batty. My memory seemed to be suffering. The final straw was a complete loss of strength in my left leg, near the calf muscle. I could not even walk up my stairs. I immediately stopped taking atorvastatin and within two days the muscle returned to normal and the itching got way less severe. Memory also improved. I am 77 years old and have always been a runner so am in very good shape."

ELSAELSA (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2018

"Been on atorvastin for about 3 -4 weeks the first couple of weeks felt very fuzzy and light headed eyes wouldn’t focus additionally had sharp stabbing pain in my back. Stopped taking them for a week then started again now I’m getting chest tightness aches around chest and back plus heart pounding all the time esp at night which is messing with my sleep ( haven’t slept much at all since taking this drug come to think of it) Also had bad farts embarrassing as I don’t know when it will happen. Sick of being a test patient for my doctor ... stopping tomorrow"

Hugh gasm (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2017

"I've only been on atorvastatin calcium for 8 days and I have the WORST muscle pain. I could barely sit up straight on the toilet, let alone bend my legs. I feel stinging sensations and I'm itching like crazy."

pookie132 December 5, 2017

"After a single bypass I was put on Atonvastatin in end of May. My first blood test after being on the drug was total= 147, HDL 56, LDL 70 and tri glycerides 106. I went on vacation and did not take the drug for 3 to 4 weeks - also not the best eating habits on vacation - but felt good. Then had my second test and went up total 220 - HDL 66 , LDL 133, and tri 103. Dr said to get back on the med. I only take 10mg a day but I always feel tired now that I am back on. What I don't like is my Dr says they want my LDL down to 50 ?? To put thing in perspective - my test 9 month before surgery was total 212, HDL 57 LDL 143 tri 62 - also I am 68 and had been very active."

superempi December 4, 2017

"So I've only been on this a few weeks, but it makes me feel awful. My cholesterol is very high, and I haven't been retested yet (a few more weeks) but I want to sleep all day, I feel off (kind of dizzy and nauseated) I get majorly constipated to the point that I can't go for a few days, which is very unusual for me. When I lay down or sit up (not even fast) the ceiling spins as if I were drunk. I took it upon myself to cut it in half and take it every other day instead. That is better, but I still feel off and worse on the mornings after I take it. My dose was 20mg a day. As far as diet and exercise, that's out because I can barely wake up, and have NO energy. Once I do get up and do things, I want to pass out or vomit."

fattysox November 24, 2017

"My Dr has me on Atorvastatin 80 mgs. I did not see one person here with a dosage this high. I am miserable. My stomach rumbles all day and night. I have uncontrollable gas all day and night. I am afraid to have company or to go out because I cannot hold this gas. My legs and back hurt and my memory is pitiful. I did not know that Atorvastatin was Lipitor. I do know that I was prescribed Lipitor 20 years ago and got very sick. I will be asking my Dr to change this medication. I am done."

JeanieBoo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2017

"Started taking Atorvastatin because the Crestor I was taking previously became far too expensive for me to afford after the promotional discounts ran out and my insurance plan changed, resulting in my having to pick up the entire tab of $920 every 3 months. Atorvastatin, on the other hand, while not quite as effective, was far cheaper, at $30 per 90 days. The test results, while not nearly as good as Crestor (which was AMAZING),but are still acceptable, with some results a bit beyond the normal ranges, while with Crestor, every result was perfect. Zero side effects. Considering the very low cost of Atorvastatin, I am overall quite happy with it. Age 57. Started taking after a massive heart attack and quintuple bypass surgery."

Giles Habibula (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 13, 2017

"Dad died of heart attack three years ago. Then two years later my brother had heart attack from blockage and almost died. My cholesterol is 512. Been taking this statin about 3 weeks. I'm miserable. Leg pain/ cramps. Pain down both arms but mainly left one. Totally weak all over. Lower leg pain both sides. Tight chest every night. Heat pounds all the time now. Barely can sleep a couple hours a night if I'm lucky. Sour stomach every night have to take antacids at bedtime. Can't function during the day. I gotta go see my Doc now that I know this med is the cause. 43 year old fairly active, average weight male."

Big Al 1701 October 9, 2017

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "About 2 weeks ago my Dr put me on Lipitor for my cholesterol. I've been having all kinds of side effects from it but I didn't realize it until today, I've been beside myself with itching, I keep getting these stinging sensations, like I'm being attacked by a colony of fire ants, I'm prone to insomnia (very severe) and it made it so much worse, despite the fact that I have been feeling I was coming down with something serious (constantly exhausted). I've even developed blisters in my NOSE! and I have the red spots it's insane. No joke I seriously have about 80% of the listed side effects even the unreported and rare. I hope no one ever has to deal with this craziness."

breezyzmoon (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2017

"54 YO WM, former distance runner who sustained a career ending injury, and over a 3 year period, my Cholesterol slowly climbed to an unacceptable level. 210ish (with an HDL of 75) to 290. I have a family history but still that was a scary and surprising discovery. My last Lipid panel before starting 20mg of Atorvastatin daily was: Total Cholesterol: 290; HDL: 43; LDL: 210; Non-HDL: 247; Triglycerides: 185. 8 months later after the atorvastatin, Total: 189; HDL: 47; LDL:114; Non HDL: 142; Triglycerides: 138. Zero side effects except for some weight gain that I can't totally pin back to the medication, and my Doc wants to up my dosage to 40MG per day to bring everything down another 25% or so, and to try to get my HDL into the 50s. Perfect drug for me."

JHR September 25, 2017

"I had a TIA, put on statin age 72, after about 7 months on Atorvastatin 40 mg daily very unpleasant pains etc upper right arm etc. I stopped taking drug, then a different doctor at the practice who was very persuasive and I agreed to go back on statin, however my own experience and dare I say common sense, prevailed and I have NOT gone back on the statin ! 5 weeks after having stopped the statin the upper arm pain is substantially diminished -- not gone completely yet. Now with a bit of pain I can get my right hand in my right hand trouser hip pocket ! Impossible because of pain 5 weeks ago.Getting slowly better --I will never take statin again. Maybe the wrong statin but who knows? I am not convinced. Are we all just guinea pigs ? average weight, ex sportsman"

Michael Hunterxyz September 15, 2017

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I have been on Lipitor for two weeks and will stop tomorrow. My legs are hurting and cannot sleep. For the first few days I was fine but now I ache from my hips down to my calfs. I also have stomach cramps. This is not for me, will tell Dr. this week and hopefully can try something else."

Beach Tower September 8, 2017

"My Tyiglycerids were over 400. One year later they are down to 112. HdL 35 LDL 66"

Johnchimpo (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2017

"My cholesterol has been lowered 50% by this medication. Very happy,no side effects."

Mitra.p July 2, 2017

"Difficulty commencing in meds, but eventually settled down. I have been on this medication, for 12 months, after 2 months developed neuropathy, but it wasn't considered that this may be the cause. This week after being on it for 12 months, the GP has stopped it to see if there are any change to symptoms. What I would like to know if anyone has any experience of withdrawal effects from this as I feel dreadful after being off it 5 days. Legs are like jelly, wobbly, nausea, headache, and extremely tired."

Janine456 June 27, 2017

"My husband has had high cholesterol for about 15 years tried to take Simvastatin but had bad side effects ... he is 64 and in quite good health he takes garlic. plant sterols and lecithin in his diet but now Dr wants him to try Artovastatin he really doesn't want to but I think maybe he should try it out"

TinaTuck June 25, 2017

"Switched from Lovastatin to Atorvastatin with Gemfibrozil, resulting in much better numbers and no side effects."

JM2326 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017