User Reviews for Atorvastatin to treat High Cholesterol

Also known as: Lipitor

Atorvastatin Rating Summary

4.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 280 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Atorvastatin

Fen · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 16, 2020

“Been taking this drug for 4 yrs now after experiencing a TIA followed by emergency carotid endarterectomy, cholesterol levels are good and have not experienced any side effects at all , all annual blood tests have been all ok .”

JT · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “So I went to the doctor for peripheral neuropathy and back spasms. She does my bloodwork and my cholesterol is extremely high. She puts me on generic Lipitor and it made my back spasms even worse. Now my upper back has a tremor that still hasn't gone away even after quitting the drug 2 months ago. I have loss strength in my legs and I have terrible short term memory. It would give me dizzy spells and I just felt sick all the time. I'm still recovering from it and I told my doctor I quit taking it because it was making me shake. Now she wants me to start taking it again, but I'm not going to,”

Marty · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “After taking Lipitor for a few weeks I developed pain in both my legs ,arms and shoulders . After three months all my muscles were heavy and under powered I could hardly exercise . I stopped taking Lipitor and some three months later I am nearly back to normal! Don’t take these drugs because it defeats the object . You need to exercise to reduce cholesterol however these drugs prevent you from doing so!!!!”

Mtngirl June 2, 2020

“I am so happy to see that it’s just not me having a bad experience with this drug atorvastatin. My LDL in March was 201. This was the only abnormal lab result. She put me on 10mg of Atorvastatin, daily. I asked of side effects and after the first day I had indescribable deep muscle pain. At first I thought I was getting another round of Shingles! I of course stopped taking it but adhered to the Plant based diet. In preparation of this mornings f/u bloodwork I took another yesterday with supper. Needless to say up all night with abdominal cramps, stomach pain, loose stools and nausea! So mad I called the Doctors office and cancelled my appointment! Never again!”

Dan · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “Horrible drug! Was taking 40mg once a day. Side effects were just terrible. Headaches, nauseous, dizzy, spacey, and just felt terrible overall. After a few months I decided to cut my dose in half. The next morning still has some side effects but not near as bad as the prescribed dose I was on.”

Smoke May 3, 2020

“My cardiologist finally talked me into taking this poison after 5 years of trying. Took it for a month. The first week I had severe cramping of my hamstrings. The second week foot, ankle, and knee pain. Fourth week all the previous symptoms with myopathy, back pain ,and gout flare ups. Stopped taking the poison(feel stupid I waited so long to do it). I had to walk with crutches for a week and after weeks still having trouble. I read an article that said 1 in 4 Americans take statins. However because the “normal” cholesterol numbers are being lowered which means more people will be diagnosed with high cholesterol that statistic is going to change to 1 in 2 Americans. If I would have continued to take the poison it probably would have helped To prevent me from having a heart attack or stroke. What good does that do me if I have a terrible quality of life by being crippled and miserable. ”

Momma · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “Oour mom took Lipitor and had a lot of swelling around her eyes, pale, weak, and her skin was peeling on her face.”

jbart · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

“I was started on this on a Tuesday and stopped taking it by Friday. I was only prescribed 10 mg a day. The first day I started feeling nauseated all day and was unable to eat. I started getting headaches and was so sleepy I could barely keep my eyes open. I stopped taking it and still have muscle cramps and pains. I emailed my doctor. Never in my life have I had high cholesterol. Its only a little above 200. But my doctor seems super worried, so tried me on a statin. I do not recommend statins to anyone. This was SUCH an awful experience”

egore February 22, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “After first week 80mg Lipitor a day extreme arm pain from armpit to elbow. Tendon pain in top of hand burning sensation of skin on arm shoulder blade pain. 2 doctors refuse to consider its the drug but I never had a problem before. They are saying its a detoriated spine. This drug is making big business for doctors and the system, even if it killed you they would say its because you missed a dose”

Patient Zero · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “Terrible! After a few days on this drug, I started having moments of "spacing out" - it was like my brain would go offline for a minute or two and suddenly reboot. Horrible feeling! Also: it is important to note that this drug is known to worsen symptoms of GERD (which I have). Lipitor made my GERD so bad that I was violently vomiting for hours after eating or drinking anything. I have tried it twice and had the same reaction both times. No thanks!”

WJV January 27, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “I took Lipitor for three weeks. Three days into the treatment I had left knee and hip pain. I continued to take for another 2 and a half weeks in hopes the issues would resolve. My cholesterol was normal on a retest. However the extreme pain in my hip, groin and knee caused a severe limp. I stopped taking the drug and it took me 3 months and daily CoQ10 supplements to return my leg to normal. Since then I have gone on a diet, lost 10 pounds, eliminated white sugar and red meat from my diet. Hope that's enough. I would not recommend statins for anyone!”

T.C. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 16, 2020

“Amazing results! My doctor and I are thrilled. 6 months ago, my total cholesterol was still hovering just north of 300. Today it is 165. Over 100 points cut from my LDL, and Trigs (Lovaza alone got these down from 400 to 250) went down a good bit too. All lipids are in the normal range for the first time in my adult life. No side effects at all.”

Godzilla · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

“Wow! I was floored. Long time trying to do get my cholesterol low on my own with no medications. After finally trying atorvastatin 10 mg for the first time, it brought all cholesterol and triglycerides under control to more than acceptable levels. For now until my next lab test I will continue to stay on it. I am not experiencing any side effects.”

Tal · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “Taken before two other different times for high cholesterol, I quit because of stomach pains and bloating. This time I took 40 mg I took for a week it didn't seem to bother my stomach, I did notice gas, so I decided to quit again , just not worth the dangerous side effects. I'm not overweight I don't eat greasy foods , I do eat and drink sugar everyday. My cholesterol is very high , I'll ask my Dr. if there is another medicine to try, does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks”

LMG · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2019

“I started taking 20mg because my doctor suggested I should be taking this due to my abdominal aortic aneurysm. I do not have high cholesterol, in fact I'm in pretty decent shape for a 52 yr old (non-smoking) female. I'm the type of person who would rather not take meds unless absolutely necessary. I read the side effects and became paranoid it was destroying my liver. (Had blood test & my liver was fine.) I did however go to work and was noticeably spacey & unable to concentrate. I stopped taking it immediately after that. Now they are pushing it again post Triple A surgery, even though my arteries seemed fine and cholesterol is still ok. I'm hesitant to give it another try but going to see how it goes. I know some people get very bad muscle aches & I'm praying that doesn't happen. Wish I could get the truth on this med.”

Db · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2019

“After taking this medication I had a hard time swallowing and breathing. My tongue, lips and eyes were burning.I was not feeling well. I have not had this experience with other manufacturers.”

metaltech · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 12, 2019

“I was put on atorvastatin as a middle age male with a history of moderate hypertension. I had low cholesterol and lower good cholesterol but was put on it. Over a few years my blood sugar climbed to the point of being diagnosed as diabetic. Prior to starting taking atorvastatin I had very low blood sugar. The company's website tells you it will make your blood sugar rise but not make you a diabetic. I also had leg pain and cramping along with weight gain. I ended up with a rise in weight , cholesterol, blood sugar and then a heart attack. After convincing a new Dr. I was having issues with it I was taken off of it . My blood sugar has dropped out of the diabetic range, my cholesterol has dropped, my leg issues have subsided.I have lost weight. Thank you for listening Dr.”

twinkletoesnshoes November 26, 2019

“Female, mid 50's. Height to weight is decent. Winter 2019 blood work showed 235 cholesterol reading. Thyroid was good, good cholesterol NOT so good. Doc suggested atorvastatin. I agreed, sure why not if it helps my numbers. LETS DO IT. 25mg atorvastatin. 1st week I noticed that I have zero desire to get out of bed. I am usually the first UP. That was red flag 1. Getting out of bed brought aches and pains that I didn't feel before taking this med. I started feeling like I was 80 years old Joint pain, muscle pain. THE pain would change locations daily, from arms, thighs, back, hands, knees, neck TO arms, back, etc.. I read to add QQ10 which I did. No help. Next My nose would start to run as if someone turned on a switch. My hair started to fall out. Experienced feeling dizzy some times. Could be bp meds. Now about my head my thought process is fuzzy. Last is the itching...arms and legs. Doc took me off. Ya think???”

Citybird57 · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “Been on this horrible tablet two weeks never felt as ill in my life constantly feeling sick and dizzy and can’t lift my arms up and stop taking one for one day the next day I fell on top of the world top one the day after back to normal feeling sick dizzy sinus problems will never take them again will get my cholesterol down myself”

Alpha November 1, 2019

“I have been prescribed Atrovastatin for several years, and I have not had any problems with Apotex's product. The problem I have is my Pharmacy has closed. I wish to continue using Apotex's product, but none of the local Pharmacies ie Walgreens, CVS, Osco carry this product. I am retired US Army and Express Scripts does not carry this brand either. I refuse to accept any Atrovastatin manufactured in other countries. You are the only alternative.”

Geo October 11, 2019

“After using over 30 days my face skin got severe itching with dry skin. Without knowing this cause I continue to take for another 10 days and by then my face skin looks like burned and damaged altogether with severe dry skin and itching.”

Cat · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 4, 2019

“Been taking 80mg atorvastatin since 2016. Dr. lowered to 40mg. I took for two days and felt dizzy, had headache, felt lightheaded. Not feel very good! So I took another 40mg to make it 80mg like before. Within two hrs. my symptoms were gone. Think I will stay on 80 mg”

Tahoe929 October 3, 2019

“I have been on atorvastatin for a few months. Started out at 40mg per day. I had something going on with my legs to the point where I thought I had blood clots. I told my cardiologist that I had leg pain this past June (2019). I said it may be the medication, but he said I should not be having any muscle pains in my legs. He upped my dosage to 80mg per day. Well, I can barely walk and I mean barely. The leg cramps at night and the pain in my legs is terrible. I saw this website yesterday (10/2/19) and read some of the comments. I contacted my doctor immediately and told him what was going on. I feel like I'm an 80 year old woman and how painful it is in my legs. He took me off immediately and told me to never go back on atorvastatin again.”

Anonymous September 28, 2019

“atorvastatin worked bringing down my Triglycerides. But my joint pain forced me to change meds. My wrist have arthritis in them yes, but I never had pain until I took this med. The pain was unbearable.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 30, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin): “Delayed side effects. Took years to realize statins give MEMORY LOSS BIG TIME and muscle pain and mood issues. And now discovering risk from high LDL is massively exaggerated. Having sufficient HDL is what matters. IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE LOSING MEMORY ASK THEM TO THINK BACK IF IT STARTED GETTING WORSE WITHIN A YEAR OF STARTING STATINS. Someone once did that for me. ”