User Reviews for Atorvastatin

Also known as: Lipitor

Learn more about Atorvastatin.

Atorvastatin Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 301 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Atorvastatin to treat High Cholesterol

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "Here is the trouble with these sites - the skew towards horror stories. There is also a handful who claim that statins are "poison" and "should be taken off the market". This is, clearly, an overreaction by those who have the adverse reaction, which - despite what you would think from reading these reviews - are very low frequency events. Statins are probably as close to a wonder drug as modern pharmacology has ever gotten. Yes, there are those who are intolerant, allergic, or simply confused as to the genesis of their symptoms. The truth is, statins work for the vast majority of people taking them, and they work well. Having said this, I am also perplexed as to why some folks in their later 70s or even 80s are taking them?"

98zeitgeist78 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2016

"I have experienced severe heartburn since increased dosage from 40to 80 mg."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2016

"Started this drug a few months back and started having health problems; did not associate with the meds. The list is long on the adverse effects. dizzy, loss of balance, pain in head, ringing in ears, pressure in ears (went to ear noise and throat, said it was not in my ears. I have heaviness and weakness in my legs, hard to walk far. Sleep problems, walking and talking while asleep, seizures Lasting a few seconds. this week other joints started hurting as well. Hey the good news is, My cholesterol went way down. I quit taking this med yesterday. Lowering my cholesterol is not worth all the side affects. I am glad it works for some, but have researched this drug and so many have had a bad reaction."

dorathy57 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

"I have been taking 10MG of Lipitor for about 18 years, it has worked wonderful for me no problems at all with the drug."

Retiredrcr (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2016

"On it for 6 years. Adverse affects sneak up on you. It makes you old before your time. I had neuropathy in feet and finally in hands, pain in neck and legs. I dragged my feet when I walked, finally my mind was so foggy I couldn't remember what I saw the instant before or remember what I read . I would fall asleep in a instant after sitting down. My wife wouldn't let me drive except in the neighborhood for fear I would doze off- (I wonder how many 'old' people have caused auto accidents because of statins). I could not do simple arithmetic. I am off of it as of 2 months ago and am slowly improving. This stuff is poison and should be taken off the market. I rate it 0."

Nhbgfdxsetyy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 29, 2016

"In the first few days of taking Lipitor I was unbelievably tired, weak and dizzy. I had muscle aches,dry mouth and a headache. I felt on the verge of having a heart attack. I felt nauseous and these symptoms just got worse the longer I took it. It got to the point where I was so dizzy I couldn't drive my car . I had to get off it immediately"

Lipitor for high cholesterol (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

"Very good and effective"

Sendhil (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2016

"I'm a 47 yr old overweight female. I've had high blood pressure my entire life but never cholesterol issues. I went in for blood work in Jan. 16 and was shocked to learn my LDL-p (particle count) was off the charts at 2,800 (should be 700 range) and my LDL small particle count was 1,500 (should be under 500). Additionally all my blood lipids were way out of range. I was given 40 mg of atorvastatin but after reading how horrible statins were, I got scared and only took 1/2 daily. I just got my labs redone and since January-April (3 full months), all my blood lipids are in normal, optimal range. I did alot of research on the effectiveness of lower dose statins and have not had any issues with taking 1/2 my pill daily. Results speak."

TRu1647 April 29, 2016

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I am 65 and active, to include hiking, walking in the gym yard work, etc.. Been on 10 mg of Lipitor or generic for 20 years. Within the past 2 years I have experienced increased lower leg discomfort and within the past year what appears to be lower leg muscle loss, chronic plantar fascia, leg muscle tingling, and a feeling of weakness in my lower legs. My primary care doc, who is Lipitor intolerant, attributed it all to age, cervicle stenosis, etc. Have quit Lipitor and Prylosec (been on this for 10 years) and will readdress with my doctor (who's an internal medicine doctor) when I can get in to see him again in 3 weeks. Some remediation of mental fogginess which has plagued me recently, but to date no releaf on leg issues."

Skip69 April 28, 2016

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "This medicine did a number on my legs. Had numbness, the legs felt like led, wobbly. I had been a mail carrier and walked 10-11 miles and day, retired but continued to walk 4-5 miles a day besides being very active with DIY projects and part time job. Took Lipitor earlier this year. It got the numbers down, but I had 3 ER visits in one week and spent the night in the hospital because my legs were acting up and it scared me and my heart did weird things. Lot of stress for me and my family. We have good insurance, but this will still probably be around $2000. I would not recommend Lipitor to anyone-there are other cholesterol meds out there."

former mail man April 17, 2016

"Atorvastatin ensures a great night of sleep but I am very upset about my weight loss:(( almost a pound per week. Plan to ask my doctor what my options are. It has lowered my cholesterol significantly but still need to watch what I eat. This is my first time ever on meds."

lilvix (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2016

"After his 5th heart attack My hubby has been on 80mg of these for nearly months and he suffers pain and is now waking up with yellow bruises on him the hospital say he can't come off them. They are the only new thing hes had so know they are the problems"

Silvo65 February 14, 2016

"I took both simvastatin (got a rash/hives) and Lipitor (even worse rash/hives) which I'm still plagued by even though I went off Lipitor more than a month ago. The rash comes and goes; some days unbearable and others barely noticeable. My urine also developed a foul and toxic odor along with changes in urinary habits/timing. I think these statins ought to be banned."

Denny0522 February 7, 2016

"I have only been on for a week and a half. I have not had any side effects. I take 10mg every day. For a little background on myself. My Total Cholesterol has been over 400 for a long time. I was pretty adamant about reducing my TC without statins. Finally I decided to give them a try. My last blood test had my Cholesterol in the 300 zone which is an improvement for me. I am into bodybuilding, and that entails me to Bulk up and then Diet down. Weirdly enough my >300 Cholesterol reading was in my Bulk up Phase where I am 260lbs and carrying more Bodyfat than normal. I low carb during my lean phases where I cut out all starch carbs and sugars. Doctor thinks its a hereditary Cholesterol problem. I never get over 15% bf."

DRACOMACHINE (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

"First I was on Simvastatin, then I had a Dr. change and he put me on Atorvastatin, my blood sugar levels went up for no reason, then I started having cramps, told the Dr. and he said just watch my diet. So I did, the cramps were almost every day and getting me very upset. So called the Dr. again. He finally told me to stop the meds for 14 days and then start again. The cramps went away until I started taking them again. Don't know what the Dr. will do next."

GrandmaDeeDee January 12, 2016

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I took 40mgs. Lipitor daily for 2 weeks & experienced complete muscle paralysis in my legs & arms. Had to stop taking Lipitor. Next Dr prescribed Crestor. Crestor worked alright for 1 month. Then again I had paralysis in my arms & legs. The paralysis disappeared in several days after stopping the cholesterol lowering meds. Dr. Then prescribed Niaspan (prescription strength Niacin) that also produced the paralysis in my thighs and arms , within 2 weeks . Paralysis disappeared in 2 to 3 days after stopping each med. Dr. Decided I need to take 500 mgs. Niacin with food 4 times per day & that has helped me greatly, w/o any paralysis. I also decreased foods that are high in cholesterol & exercise more often. I am 72 yrs of age."

MartinelliHazabelli December 23, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "My doc says I may be the 1 in 100,000 that just can't take it. My liver enzymes went off the chart and I am still recovering from acute hepatitus and muscle pain."

Lindylou123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 12, 2015

"I was given Lipitor 20 mg. 8 days ago,last night I found a rash under my left breast the size of a half dollar,it does not itch or anything,the only thing that has changed is the lipitor,I will NOT take it any more.I knew it had to be something new I had done & this was it. After my research on here,I am sure that is what it is.I have never had chicken pox,I know it can NOT be shingles. Since I have never had a heat rash in the summer & now it is cooler weather,it has to be the lipitor.I have some other my Dr. gave me a couple of years back & I only took 14 but noticed no side affects.The pharmasist said maybe wait a couple of days to start the other.Never knew my cholesterol was as high as 381 till recently!Lipitor is NOT FOR ME!"

CameoLadyTX December 10, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I have been using a Lipitor for only one week but am feeling fatigue and muscle pains, my cholesterol drops down from 130 to 100, but too much side effect, I decided to stop and now am feeling OK"

Dereya November 14, 2015

"I took 10mg for a week. Severe stomach pains, muscle pains and joint pain. It felt like I had body aches from the flu! So tired wiped out my energy. Also, where I broke my wrist I was getting sharp stabbing pains there. Called the doctor and he said stop taking it immediately. Thank god because these side effects were horrible. Going to try exercise, green tea and essentials oils before I even give another brand a try."

Bad side effects October 20, 2015

"Started on 10mg daily in May. Began having headaches daily and my joints in my hands increased in pain, especially in the am. I am in my 4th month now headaches are much better. Hands still hurt but seem a little better. Now my back aches a lot and I feel tired every morning. It's like I stayed up half the night making it a chore to get up and get ready for work. I worry about all the things this drug may be doing to my kidneys, liver and muscles. However, after 3 months my cholesterol and LDL dropped significantly. I would like to maybe decrease to every other day or maybe try diet and exercise again."

Creolamama September 24, 2015

"I was only on this med for about 6 weeks when I finally figured out it was causing severe joint pain in my knees and feet. Stopped taking it and the pain went away after one day. Also caused diahrea. I'm going to try lowering my cholesterol with diet and exersize. Too many risks of side effects with statins."

Jeff 54 August 30, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "In the past year I have experienced four occasions of hyperlipidemia, rhabdomylosis, and acute renal failure. All four times I woke up in ICU and had a lengthy stay in the hospital. I am still taking atorvastin, have muscle aches and pains, with weakness, joint pain and stiffness, and restless legs, with no control of movement. I am miserable most of the time. Recently my doctor stopped the lipitor for the next six weeks to see what changes may happen."

pj1962 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 6, 2015

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "At 40 mg, lipitor was too effective for me. My Total Cholesterol dropped from the 230's down to 138 in 4 weeks. The doctor covering for my regular doctor was thrilled. Then the other nasty effect of the Lipitor kicked in, the anger. It made me want yell and scream how much of an idiot he was when he disagreed that my cholesterol was too low. How dare that man question me about my mood? It is a very aggressive anger that makes you want to snap. I suggested reducing the dose by half and retesting. 4 weeks later my TC was 158 and my LDL was still less 100, my regular doctor was happy with that. The best part was anger was gone and I felt better. My regular doctor never heard about this anger side effect."

Reruho (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"When taking Atorvastatin I have developed many side effects. I have had headaches, dizziness, lack of energy, weakness, like I'm always tired, chills, fever, cramps, sore eyes, and mood swings. Although this medication seems to work well."

Unknown1100 August 2, 2015