User Reviews for Atorvastatin

Also known as: Lipitor

Learn more about Atorvastatin.

Atorvastatin Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 304 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Atorvastatin to treat High Cholesterol

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "When I was originally put on this statin it was on a low dose of 10 mg a day to reduce cholesterol. I had or recall very few side effects. I combined the drug with exercise and diet. My cholesterol was lowered and remained low. Doctors have kept me on the drug and now at the age of 71 I now experience headaches a bloated rumbling and very uncomfortable digestive system, hives, muscle aches and other adverse effects that now interfere with my diet and exercise. Doctors seem to be reluctant to lower doses but these adverse effects now materially are affecting my quality of life."

Eric1234 March 17, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I had extremely high hopes for this cholesterol buster and had the best attitude and hopes for this medication but definitely did not work out. My cholesterol level was 225 and my left carotid artery via a Doppler was 50-70 percent narrowed. Changed my diet immediately, started exercising, put plans in play to stop smoking and in thinking with Lipitor I'd give myself the best possible chance to reverse the plaque. Doctor prescribed 10mg, was only able to tolerate it a week. The first 4 days, no side effects, excited as heck, the 5th day off and on I started experiencing a twighlight zone brain fog that would last 10-15 minutes. Felt like a couldn't clinch a thought, felt foggy, happened 2x the 5th day, 4x the 6th day, no more......"

Cindy707 March 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"67 years old reasonably fit male until I had a mini stroke in Jan 17. In hospital they put me on 80mg atorvastatin once a day. Within four weeks every muscle in my body ached. Went to the doctors and he reduced the dose to 40mg a day. Another three weeks later I couldn't get out of bed or walk due to aching muscles. Stopped taking them completely and within three days felt thirty per cent better. Another three weeks have gone bye and still ache like hell. They might lower cholesterol for some people and be a godsend but I never want to see another one in my life. They have ruined my way of life."

Pearcey49 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been taking 20mg atovastatin for 7.5 years with no ill effects but I also take coq10 daily . Total cholesterol 213 to 112 , LDL 119 to 42"

Sabrina1234 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on 20mg atorvastatin for 2 months.From the first couple weeks I noticed a rise in my blood pressure every three days with severe cramping up my left arm to my head and down my left leg. Most times I get so fearful that I might be about to suffer a stroke. I noticed that my memory sometimes goes hay wire and now I am beginning to have difficulties in swallowing my own saliva during resting periods. I am also suffering from discharging of clear salty phlegm via spitting when I do not have a cold. I have to put up with constant dizzy spells,muscle pain and muscle twitching but I am still taking the drug due to the fact that I really wanna get my total cholesterol down from 329 and most importantly my bad cholesterol down from 265."

Aloy. February 28, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had very high cholesterol, 280. Prescribed Atorvastatin 20 mg, Began to have erratic blood pressure within a week of taking it going as high as 190 over 100, sending me rushing to the ER. Doctor put me on BP meds and upped my Atorvastatin to 40MG. Within a week the erratic BP continued and I developed a cough with Phlegm most noticeable at night before sleep and when I awoke. I then developed acute dizziness, severe soreness in chest and lungs, significant pain in my surgically repaired tendon in my hand, numbness that ran up my arm to my head on one side of my body. My labs came back with my total cholesterol reduced to 125. But I became prediabetic, liver function abnormal, and creative protein rising from 1 to 6. I stopped taking it."

taxmeless February 19, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor put me on 10 mg of Atorvastatin and after checking my cholesterol after 3 months increases my Atorvastatin to 20 mg. I didn't feel the side effects right away perhaps 3 months after taking them my feet felt like bricks and it was harder to walk because I had neuropathy I just thought it was just getting worse, we have stairs and I felt like my femur muscle was rubbing against my bone, just a slight sensation there, I knew this was different but what can I do, was I just getting older? I had with in the next few days both my knees would give out with pain behind them hard to get off toilet with out pain, Got off Atorvastatin on my own.. notice I was getting better, OFF 2 WEEKS NOW 99.9% BETTER! It was Atorvastain!"

Suseee January 23, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prescribed 10mg. Side effects started with upset stomach (improved with always taking with food). Within a couple weeks, the side effects exploded. No idea of whether or not it improved my labs (they were not supposed to be drawn for 2 more weeks).I am a vegetarian (no meat of any kind, no dairy milk, do eat some dairy cheese and eggs) and also a licensed massage therapist (so I know "normal" muscle tension or joint pain and how to improve it). My side effects (in no particular order): muscle cramps/pain/weakness/swelling/tightness, tiredness, diarrhea/intestinal cramping, increased ringing in the ears, and depression/angry mood swings. 3 days without med- pain, etc continues to improve."

cholab7 January 19, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed statins. Side effects were many of those listed here by other users so I stopped taking them. I can, with 80 percent confidence say within 5 years statins will be banned or have the famous black label warning box."

No Koolaide January 2, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "Started with 10mg daily. After 3 months my cholesterol level just in borderline, so the dosage was increased to 40mg daily. This dose gave me muscle tissue pain on my right knee so I self discontinued."

cholblood December 30, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"A drug with many side effects. I had migraine, painful headaches. I don't want to see this drug again!! It's really too bad."

Claudia Rod November 23, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on this drug atorvastin 10mgfor about 2years after taking one year I developed so many side effects which I don't know they were due to this drug I developed severe headache,dizziness,migrane,hortflushes,sweating,chill,shivering one side body pains,sinus pain,sore,eyes I ruin my life I wasted lot of money hoping for a cure to ent doctors cardiologist,physician neurologist etc. Nobody listen to me only prescribe pain killers,nerve tablets I used to cry all the time I wondered if I would die. Finally I came to research and got the reviews of patients decided myself to quit this medicine which is poison. After one month I am slowly improving thank to this site which is helping the patients as today's doctors have no time to listen."

Farruq November 1, 2016

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "Atorvastatin did lower my cholesterol quite a bit, but within the first couple of weeks I developed muscle pain in the back of one knee. After another week, I developed muscle pain in the calf of the other leg. My doctor doesn't think this was caused by Atorvastatin. He believes it is arthritis. He ordered an xray of knee and blood test for liver function. Waiting for results. If pain is from arthritis. I will continue taking medicine. If Atorvastatin is affecting muscles or liver, I may discontinue or ask to switch to another statin."

Senor Citizen (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"69 year old male. New to statins. Have started on Atorvastatin and in the first 80 days, with no side effects, cholesterol has dropped from 258 to 179, LDL to 100, and LDL/HDL ratio to 2.2. So... success! Very pleased."

Js1000 October 30, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Im a 51yr old male prescribed 10mg of Atorvastatin. I sleep much better with little leg cramps if any at all. I drink plenty of water which helps with cramps and dehydration which is my cause of leg cramps. I have no side effects of nightmares only good dreams that I can remember."

Man Squito (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given 10 mg atorvasatin by my doctor who say my cholesterol was high, took them for 2 months now, I felt sweaty on my neck and backache . Didn't know what causes all these symptoms . I'm 56 yrs old, came into this forum to check the side effect of satin, now I know after reading similar stories, I also have chills at night too. Going to see my Gp soon whether to stop taking them atorvasatin. Going to try natural ways for my well being ,"

Jan Yeo October 5, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "Here is the trouble with these sites - the skew towards horror stories. There is also a handful who claim that statins are "poison" and "should be taken off the market". This is, clearly, an overreaction by those who have the adverse reaction, which - despite what you would think from reading these reviews - are very low frequency events. Statins are probably as close to a wonder drug as modern pharmacology has ever gotten. Yes, there are those who are intolerant, allergic, or simply confused as to the genesis of their symptoms. The truth is, statins work for the vast majority of people taking them, and they work well. Having said this, I am also perplexed as to why some folks in their later 70s or even 80s are taking them?"

98zeitgeist78 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2016

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have experienced severe heartburn since increased dosage from 40to 80 mg."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started this drug a few months back and started having health problems; did not associate with the meds. The list is long on the adverse effects. dizzy, loss of balance, pain in head, ringing in ears, pressure in ears (went to ear noise and throat, said it was not in my ears. I have heaviness and weakness in my legs, hard to walk far. Sleep problems, walking and talking while asleep, seizures Lasting a few seconds. this week other joints started hurting as well. Hey the good news is, My cholesterol went way down. I quit taking this med yesterday. Lowering my cholesterol is not worth all the side affects. I am glad it works for some, but have researched this drug and so many have had a bad reaction."

dorathy57 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking 10MG of Lipitor for about 18 years, it has worked wonderful for me no problems at all with the drug."

Retiredrcr (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"On it for 6 years. Adverse affects sneak up on you. It makes you old before your time. I had neuropathy in feet and finally in hands, pain in neck and legs. I dragged my feet when I walked, finally my mind was so foggy I couldn't remember what I saw the instant before or remember what I read . I would fall asleep in a instant after sitting down. My wife wouldn't let me drive except in the neighborhood for fear I would doze off- (I wonder how many 'old' people have caused auto accidents because of statins). I could not do simple arithmetic. I am off of it as of 2 months ago and am slowly improving. This stuff is poison and should be taken off the market. I rate it 0."

Nhbgfdxsetyy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 29, 2016

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In the first few days of taking Lipitor I was unbelievably tired, weak and dizzy. I had muscle aches,dry mouth and a headache. I felt on the verge of having a heart attack. I felt nauseous and these symptoms just got worse the longer I took it. It got to the point where I was so dizzy I couldn't drive my car . I had to get off it immediately"

Lipitor for high cholesterol (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very good and effective"

Sendhil (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a 47 yr old overweight female. I've had high blood pressure my entire life but never cholesterol issues. I went in for blood work in Jan. 16 and was shocked to learn my LDL-p (particle count) was off the charts at 2,800 (should be 700 range) and my LDL small particle count was 1,500 (should be under 500). Additionally all my blood lipids were way out of range. I was given 40 mg of atorvastatin but after reading how horrible statins were, I got scared and only took 1/2 daily. I just got my labs redone and since January-April (3 full months), all my blood lipids are in normal, optimal range. I did alot of research on the effectiveness of lower dose statins and have not had any issues with taking 1/2 my pill daily. Results speak."

TRu1647 April 29, 2016

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I am 65 and active, to include hiking, walking in the gym yard work, etc.. Been on 10 mg of Lipitor or generic for 20 years. Within the past 2 years I have experienced increased lower leg discomfort and within the past year what appears to be lower leg muscle loss, chronic plantar fascia, leg muscle tingling, and a feeling of weakness in my lower legs. My primary care doc, who is Lipitor intolerant, attributed it all to age, cervicle stenosis, etc. Have quit Lipitor and Prylosec (been on this for 10 years) and will readdress with my doctor (who's an internal medicine doctor) when I can get in to see him again in 3 weeks. Some remediation of mental fogginess which has plagued me recently, but to date no releaf on leg issues."

Skip69 April 28, 2016