User Reviews for Atorvastatin

Also known as: Lipitor

Learn more about Atorvastatin.

Atorvastatin Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 297 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Atorvastatin to treat High Cholesterol

"I had a TIA, put on statin age 72, after about 7 months on Atorvastatin 40 mg daily very unpleasant pains etc upper right arm etc. I stopped taking drug, then a different doctor at the practice who was very persuasive and I agreed to go back on statin, however my own experience and dare I say common sense, prevailed and I have NOT gone back on the statin ! 5 weeks after having stopped the statin the upper arm pain is substantially diminished -- not gone completely yet. Now with a bit of pain I can get my right hand in my right hand trouser hip pocket ! Impossible because of pain 5 weeks ago.Getting slowly better --I will never take statin again. Maybe the wrong statin but who knows? I am not convinced. Are we all just guinea pigs ? average weight, ex sportsman"

Michael Hunterxyz September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I have been on Lipitor for two weeks and will stop tomorrow. My legs are hurting and cannot sleep. For the first few days I was fine but now I ache from my hips down to my calfs. I also have stomach cramps. This is not for me, will tell Dr. this week and hopefully can try something else."

Beach Tower September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Tyiglycerids were over 400. One year later they are down to 112. HdL 35 LDL 66"

Johnchimpo (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My cholesterol has been lowered 50% by this medication. Very happy,no side effects."

Mitra.p July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Difficulty commencing in meds, but eventually settled down. I have been on this medication, for 12 months, after 2 months developed neuropathy, but it wasn't considered that this may be the cause. This week after being on it for 12 months, the GP has stopped it to see if there are any change to symptoms. What I would like to know if anyone has any experience of withdrawal effects from this as I feel dreadful after being off it 5 days. Legs are like jelly, wobbly, nausea, headache, and extremely tired."

Janine456 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My husband has had high cholesterol for about 15 years tried to take Simvastatin but had bad side effects ... he is 64 and in quite good health he takes garlic. plant sterols and lecithin in his diet but now Dr wants him to try Artovastatin he really doesn't want to but I think maybe he should try it out"

TinaTuck June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Switched from Lovastatin to Atorvastatin with Gemfibrozil, resulting in much better numbers and no side effects."

JM2326 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, I can't rate this medicine yet as I have only been on it 8 days,, I don't know my ratios but I know my cholesterol was 6.3, I haven't noticed any side effects yet but have to get another liver test in six weeks and a cholesterol test after my 3 month course of atoravastatin,hope all goes well and don't get all these cramps, pain etc which I have read about on this forum. I will let you know my results in 3 months,,"

Terry1000 (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Atorvastatin for a couple of weeks now,,,HATE IT AND WILL STOP TODAY!!.I have a cough and stuffy nose (side effect) tight chest, tired all the time, muscle cramps, off and on diarrhea, sore throat, no need to say anymore. I've been put on several different kinds of meds for high cholesterol and they all have side effects that I can't deal with. It's sad but every Dr I've had has wanted to put me on these meds that make me sick. I'm gonna find foods that may help"

Ezell E June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I started taking generic lipitor in February/March 2017. My lab work came back and total cholesterol was 311. At first I started taking 20mg a day. By the 9th day I was an emotional mess. Anxiety, anger, confusion, leg pain, stomach pain and heartburn. I decided to take the 20mg every other day. All the side effects disappeared. Works great. I heard back from my Dr who says to continue the every other day dosage because its working and its tolerable for me."

Sensitive to all meds (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "My Dr prescribed Lipitor (40mg) four months ago for high cholesterol of 342. I started feeling like my lower legs weighed a ton. Then it also went into my knees and behind the knees. The pain was unbearable, especially in the muscles circling the knee with more severe pain above and towards the outer side of both knees. My doctor thinks it's from an injury I suffered 11 years ago and sent me for X-rays. I tried telling him it felt more like muscle than joint pain, but at this point, the pain was so bad that I wasn't even sure anymore. Confusion started a few weeks ago, where I was struggling to think of words. 3 days ago, I quit taking it, and I slowly am feeling better. Thankfully I found these reviews today. Things are making more sense"

56 year old female May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Felt I was having a heart attack but without the chest pain. Every muscle in my body seemed to go into rigidity and I could not move. Heavy sweating. Severe pain in muscles and joints. Difficulty breathing that turned into wheezing and gasping for breath. Panic. Dizziness. This was my THIRD dose of medication."

spd1275 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well, got my lab results and my cholesterol is 311. Not good. Dr put me on 20mg generic lipitor daily. By the 9th day oh man I was a mess. Brain fog, stomach pain, dizzy and kind of angry. So I decided to take the pill every other day. I read that it could be just as effective. It works wonders! No side effects taking 20mg every other day. My Dr don't know that I dropped down to every other day. She will know soon. I sent her an email just waiting for her to read it. So if daily dose is too much, try every other day or ask for the lower dose"

Sensitive to all meds May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on liptitor for 2 months. Woke up on Monday with problems with my hands, memory loss, mood swings, and loss of thoughts. Doctor told me to discontinue. Hope everyday I get back to normal."

Mike 1 April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been taking 10mg of atorvastatin for six months now. LDL was 188 now is 95 so a 50% drop. Total cholesterol from 263 to 136, again nearly 50%. Triglycerides from 154 to 40 which is like 75%. The only not stellar number was my HDL (the good cholesterol) which actually dropped from 44 to 33. Even though most peoples goes up slightly. While that is a concern overall the improvement in my numbers has my cardiologist pleased enough to continue the protocol. For everyone who complains of the muscle aches and pains, you need to be taking ubiquinol, not simply coQ10. I know if I go too many days without my ubiquinol I can be susceptible to the muscle issues too. 200mg of ubiquinol every day prevents this."

saps (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At age 48 and good health, I took Atorvastatin/10mg for 1 year without symptoms. It lowered my bad cholesterol. Near the 1st year, I began experiencing significant/unusual leg weakness and knee pain when standing from a kneeling position. It got to the point that I always needed to brace myself on the sofa or coffee table when getting up after playing with my dog or toddler son. Rising from my desk required a push on the desk top. Then weakness and pain to my finger/shoulder joints and a "forgetfulness." Overall, I felt "Rickety." My MD said to stay on it. I decided otherwise and went off cold turkey one day. I've been off 2 years and I feel normal again, except for residual and reduced effect on my shoulder and hands."

Brian20176 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a heart attack and my doc gave me this to take .Within days was worse off than before my heart attack. Always dizzy, confused, diarrhea, muscle cramps, short of breath, insomnia. I quit taking them and I feel so much better now and its only been 4 days since I quit taking them. This script is horrible and needs to be taken off the market!!Oh also headaches every damn day which i never ever had them before."

Anonymous March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, my doctor prescribed me lipitor 10 mg. I have been taking it for 2 months. My cholesterol level was 210 total, now my total level is 167, LDL is lower and my HDL the same. I'm please to say that I don't or have had any side effects. I see many of you with side effects, I suggest exercise and drink lots of water. No side effects here, I'm happy."

Mr. Antonio (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No doubt Lipitor at any dose does lowers your numbers. But what does that really mean, has plaque in your arteries reduced by same percentage ? I think not. Still statins might have their place but who can tolerate them, very few if you research. I just wish the doctors would push and insist on diet/exercise plans before prescribing statins. Was on Liptor only 10 mg for 18 months, numbers down but felt like crap. The usual intense body muscle aches. Off for a week now and my body is telling me already it needs a break from statin drugs. I'm totally satisfied to move forward and roll dice with diet/exercise. Doctor is in full agreement to drop statin for now. 66 year old male and still very active despite some heart failure."

Jimmy Don March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "When I was originally put on this statin it was on a low dose of 10 mg a day to reduce cholesterol. I had or recall very few side effects. I combined the drug with exercise and diet. My cholesterol was lowered and remained low. Doctors have kept me on the drug and now at the age of 71 I now experience headaches a bloated rumbling and very uncomfortable digestive system, hives, muscle aches and other adverse effects that now interfere with my diet and exercise. Doctors seem to be reluctant to lower doses but these adverse effects now materially are affecting my quality of life."

Eric1234 March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lipitor (atorvastatin): "I had extremely high hopes for this cholesterol buster and had the best attitude and hopes for this medication but definitely did not work out. My cholesterol level was 225 and my left carotid artery via a Doppler was 50-70 percent narrowed. Changed my diet immediately, started exercising, put plans in play to stop smoking and in thinking with Lipitor I'd give myself the best possible chance to reverse the plaque. Doctor prescribed 10mg, was only able to tolerate it a week. The first 4 days, no side effects, excited as heck, the 5th day off and on I started experiencing a twighlight zone brain fog that would last 10-15 minutes. Felt like a couldn't clinch a thought, felt foggy, happened 2x the 5th day, 4x the 6th day, no more......"

Cindy707 March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"67 years old reasonably fit male until I had a mini stroke in Jan 17. In hospital they put me on 80mg atorvastatin once a day. Within four weeks every muscle in my body ached. Went to the doctors and he reduced the dose to 40mg a day. Another three weeks later I couldn't get out of bed or walk due to aching muscles. Stopped taking them completely and within three days felt thirty per cent better. Another three weeks have gone bye and still ache like hell. They might lower cholesterol for some people and be a godsend but I never want to see another one in my life. They have ruined my way of life."

Pearcey49 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been taking 20mg atovastatin for 7.5 years with no ill effects but I also take coq10 daily . Total cholesterol 213 to 112 , LDL 119 to 42"

Sabrina1234 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on 20mg atorvastatin for 2 months.From the first couple weeks I noticed a rise in my blood pressure every three days with severe cramping up my left arm to my head and down my left leg. Most times I get so fearful that I might be about to suffer a stroke. I noticed that my memory sometimes goes hay wire and now I am beginning to have difficulties in swallowing my own saliva during resting periods. I am also suffering from discharging of clear salty phlegm via spitting when I do not have a cold. I have to put up with constant dizzy spells,muscle pain and muscle twitching but I am still taking the drug due to the fact that I really wanna get my total cholesterol down from 329 and most importantly my bad cholesterol down from 265."

Aloy. February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had very high cholesterol, 280. Prescribed Atorvastatin 20 mg, Began to have erratic blood pressure within a week of taking it going as high as 190 over 100, sending me rushing to the ER. Doctor put me on BP meds and upped my Atorvastatin to 40MG. Within a week the erratic BP continued and I developed a cough with Phlegm most noticeable at night before sleep and when I awoke. I then developed acute dizziness, severe soreness in chest and lungs, significant pain in my surgically repaired tendon in my hand, numbness that ran up my arm to my head on one side of my body. My labs came back with my total cholesterol reduced to 125. But I became prediabetic, liver function abnormal, and creative protein rising from 1 to 6. I stopped taking it."

taxmeless February 19, 2017