User Reviews for Aripiprazole to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Also known as: Abilify, Aristada, Abilify Maintena, Abilify MyCite, Aristada Initio

Aripiprazole Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Aripiprazole

arunde1598 · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2020

“aripiprazole is very effective at reducing intensity and duration of intrusive thoughts... HOWEVER, at about Day 11 started having dystonia/twitching in my legs; I discontinued the drug.”

Blaze · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 3, 2019

“I was on Wellbutrin and Zoloft and still experiencing severe chest crushing anxiety daily. This turned into what was eventually diagnosed as suicidal OCD. This was the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced and it literally immobilized me and put me on suicide watch on and off for a month. Finally got an appt with a psychiatrist who started me on 2mg of abilify. The difference was incredible. The spinning obsessive thoughts and suicide planning came to an abrupt halt a few days after starting. It saved my life. I’ve been able to stay on the same dosage for 6 months now with everything remaining stable and no side effects. It has changed my life.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2018

“The side effects are intolerable and nasty. Drowsiness, restlessness, the feeling where something is going to burst from me. I couldn’t go to class because of the drug. Also, Uncontrollable appetite, binge eating. Gained almost 10lbs in 2weeks. Made me super sleepy. It does nothing about alleviating my OCD. It only made it worse. I took two 5 mg a day with 250 Luvox.”

eddiekilby · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2015

“I had a bad time with Obsessive thinking. It almost wrecked my life and my family and love relationship. They put me on it in the hospital and in five days my obsessive thinking was gone. It's still a work in progress I've only been on it for a little over a week now. Haven't noticed any side effects but they'll have to be pretty bad to outweigh the good.”

Sara326 October 4, 2015

“I'm currently on 10 mg to help with OCD and some depression. I mainly wanted to say to everyone who has gained weight -- my doctor told me that it's known to make you dehydrated so you need to drink A LOT of water. You typically feel hungry when you are dehydrated and eat more, but if you just drink more water, you're fine. To everyone with insomnia - have you tried taking it at a different time of day? I was taking it at night and couldn't sleep. I switched to mornings and wala! I can sleep so much better! Different times needed for every person. It's helped somewhat over the last 3 months, but definitely not a magical drug that stops my OCD. I may be taking too low a dosage. Still figuring that out.”

hasoyik June 28, 2015

“Abilify is a wonder pill for my depression (as an add on to Zoloft) and OCD. I do not have any side effects at this point but I am a bit worried about them over a long time.”

muchbetter · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 16, 2014

“I've wrote a review when I first started Abilify. I still take 2 mg and 20 Mg of Lexapro. I was the person who wrote it kicked in within 24 hours. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder barely bothers me now. It's under really good control between medicines and therapy. I give Abilify a 10! I originally rated it a 9.”

Anonymous July 18, 2012

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I have been on Abilify for about 5 months now. It works wonders for my OCD but it makes me restless and non-emotional. It might sound good to not be emotional but when I say that I mean happiness too. It numbs me. I have also gained 15 pounds and so I am coming off the medicine slowly.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2012

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I have severe obsessive compulsive disorder. I had been on Lexapro, AND I was doing well after 2 years I went off it. I was doing well for a few months, and then my OCD spiraled out of control. I started taking Lexapro again 3 weeks ago. Last week I was still doing horribly. My Psychiatrist put me on 2 MG of Abilify and it seemed to kick in for me the next day. I'm not perfect, but my OCD thoughts are much less. I'm not ruminating. I don't have rituals, just obsessive thoughts. They're practically gone in one week. This medicine seems to have done the trick for me thus far. I have just started CBT therapy too. My appetite has increased. I don't know if it's actually from the Abilify.”

arickp January 19, 2012

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I have been going through a tough time in my life, and Prozac wasn't cutting it. A psychiatrist gave me a sample of Abilify. I'm glad it was just a free sample, because this was NOT the medicine for me. I would bounce between feeling OK and being suicidal (I have never contemplated suicide before). Things went really haywire the morning after taking my first dose. My legs felt so weak that I could not even get out of bed. It has been about 20 hours since my last dose, and I still feel like I'm going to collapse whenever I stand up. My brain feels like it's turned to mush - I stutter, and I'm very clumsy. The pharmacist said that 2% of people experienced muscle stiffness/myalgia with this medicine so I guess I'm one of the 2%.”

Anonymous January 18, 2012

Abilify (aripiprazole): “My daughter was taking 10mg for OCD hair pulling, while it did help with the pulling she gained 20kg and could not stay awake which is not a good thing in school. She had no motivation for anything but to eat and sleep. I have taken her off the medication. ”

Anonymous November 20, 2009

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I take 12 mg per day. Side effects are minimal - slight nausea, slight diarrhea, loss of appetite, insomnia. I'm also taking NuVigil to deal with any sedation, and Ambien for the insomnia. I feel like a stable, grounded human being again!”

Anonymous October 24, 2009

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Was prescribed this medicine as an adjunct to Paxil. Too many side effects, insomnia, blurry vision, etc. but I did notice that my compulsion to double-check things has almost disappeared.”

Anonymous June 19, 2009

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Abilify works wonders for my OCD, Bipolar disorder, and anxiety disorders, but what's not listed is how much it helps with my eating disorder, which is Purge-Type Anorexia Nervosa, and body dysmorphia. With such low side effects, and such a wide range of disorders treatable with this medication, I consider Abilify a miracle pill for people with mental health problems of many kinds. Several of my friends, including my boyfriend, are also currently prescribed Abilify for a wide range of disorders and we all love it.”

Anonymous June 3, 2009

Abilify (aripiprazole): “My husband has been taking Abilify in conjunction with Effexor and Lexapro, for obsessive compulsive disorder. It's amazing - he gets going and out-of-the-house much easier, and has actually been on-time for the first time in his life. His productivity is hugely improved and his compulsions are fewer/shorter. First success we have seen.”

Anonymous June 16, 2008

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I have been taking abilify for OCD and Body Dysmophic Disorder for about 2 months and it has helped but I do have a few small side effects like insomnia and a feeling of restlessness but I feel the help outweighs my side effects.”

Anonymous April 27, 2008

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I've tried a lot of meds for my compulsive/obsessive tendencies and Abilify is the only one that seems to work.”

linds April 3, 2008

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I took Abilify for my OCD symptoms. Though it worked as far as my obsessive thoughts go. However, I gained 50 pounds while on this medicine. I am currently off of Abilify (no withdrawl symptoms)and have slowly been losing the weight.”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder