User Reviews for Apremilast to treat Plaque Psoriasis

Also known as: Otezla

Apremilast has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 239 ratings for the treatment of Plaque Psoriasis. 37% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Apremilast Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Plaque Psoriasis.

Reviews for Apremilast

J · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

Otezla (apremilast): “Suffered with Psoriasis for 13 years and I’m only 23. Literally got it when I was 10 & nothing worked for me. I already started to see results with Otezla within 1 week and now after 3 weeks I’m literally 95% cured. I’m beyond happy & I was told I wouldn’t see results for 3 months, but with me this worked IMMEDIATELY. I got intense migraines with this medicine the first 2 weeks. I’m on week 4 and the one symptom that hasn’t went away is the nausea, but it only lasts an hour after taking it... and to me it’s so worth it.”

Wt · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

Otezla (apremilast): “I have been on Otezla for 22 days for plaque psoriasis, I have been nauseous, had diarrhea, severe headaches and muscle aches with my legs, lower back and neck! Not able to sleep at night even with sleeping pills and using heating pad! I have missed several days of work. I decided today to go off the medication, I don’t feel I can tolerate the side effects. I don’t feel the psoriasis has improved that much. Not worth feeling rubbish like I am feeling!”

megatecmw · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

Otezla (apremilast): “I must say, I was disillusioned by the reviews I had seen on this site and others. I am glad I went with my doctors advice. I developed guttate psoriasis a year ago. It nearly covered all of my legs, feet, torso (front and back, and upper arms. I have not yet finished the two starter kits given to me by the doctor. So, after 24 days (15 days at full dosage) I have had no side effects and am 90% clear. The cream therapy that I started with a year ago had very little affect. Otezla has been amazing.”

RS44 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2015

Otezla (apremilast): “I have severe plaque psoriasis and in just 3 months it is like night and day with just a trace of it left. it is not a shot just 2 pills a day. I fell 99 better at this time. Much clearer then I was with Embrel. I gave it a 9 only because there is always something they will improve on but I am very happy with it.”

31yo · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

Otezla (apremilast): “This is the first serious health issue I’ve ever had. Never had surgery or anything like that and I’m an extremely active person. Was very scared to take the drug because of all the bad things I read, but then I figured that the only people that write reviews are people that experience bad side effects. Been on a Otezla for three weeks have experienced zero side effects whatsoever but have also experienced zero relief. Psoriasis is still getting worse. Will post another update in the next 10 weeks. I don’t like taking mediation ever, not even when I have a cold. So if this doesn’t work I will probably try a hardcore crash diet. My derm suggested to try gluten free and diary free. Note: I did phototherapy for 3 months and got complete remission, but when I was diagnosed with PsA we decided I needed to address that. Hope this helps anyone seeking help.”

Kgirl February 19, 2020

Otezla (apremilast): “I've been on Otezla for 3 months. Psoriasis cleared up within a month. Experienced weight loss, headaches (for the first few days) and diarrhea (for about a week) . Overall for me it's worth the side effects especially since they go away over time.”

JANJ · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

Otezla (apremilast): “I have been dealing with psoriasis for about 4 years now (started getting it at 38) and was considered "mild" so my previous derm only prescribed creams/ointments. My condition worsened and just this month I started seeing a new derm. She diagnosed me as "moderate" and did not think injections were right for me and prescribed Otezla as well as another cream. It's been 1 week today and so far I am extremely happy. The redness is starting to fade, I am no longer itchy and uncomfortable. I will admit I was a little freaked out about the side effects that people were experiencing and I have not had any so far. Remember, everyone is different and will respond how their body wants to. I'm positive that this will work for me as I am desperate to get my self esteem back and not have to cover up or hide any more! Good luck to all who are starting this treatment.”

Jimb0s · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 28, 2019

Otezla (apremilast): “Spontaneous remission! Well, almost. I have the pictures to prove it. Within a few weeks I went from worst in my 55 years of Psoriasis to overwhelming success. Once I made it through diarrhea I am stellar. I have next to nothing now. Okay, every once in a while I need a steroid on my butt crack and one stray dot here and there on a leg. One weird thing is because I had such bad P everywhere I never knew I also have Vitiligo, who would have guessed. I wish everyone would get my results. Thanks Otezla!!”

Sad and sore · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2015

Otezla (apremilast): “I have tried otezla twice the first time it cause horrible stomach pain and I had to discontinue it after three weeks. It worked miracles for my skin though almost all clear. I went to GI to get something to counteract the otezla. Went back on it and after two months on it I started having really bad panic attacks. I am not a panic person and have never had anxiety it got so bad I had to stop the pills. However be warned you can not just stop the pills you have to slowly decrease the dose the same way you have to increase in the beginning. I was not told this and ended up in the ER.”

Trish L. · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2015

Otezla (apremilast): “I have been on this medication for about 6 weeks and it is absolutely amazing. My legs have completely clear. The only sign of my plaque psoriasis is the hyper pigmentation and slowly but surely that is going away as well. I no longer itch either. All of my family and friends have noticed that drastic change in my skin. I even wore a dress for the first time in 4 years today. I could go on forever. Of course everyone's body is different, please keep this in mind.”

DJ in Dover · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2015

Otezla (apremilast): “I began this medication with a 28 day starter pack and transitioned from there. The first month my side effects were like "WHOA" (headache, nausea, gastic distress of epic proportions!) pretty much hell on earth. HOWEVER, here I am 5 months later and for the first time in my life I am completely clear. There is not a plaque to be seen or felt. No itching, no flaking, no cracking! If you're new to this med; don't give up. It gets better!! I'm 5 months into now and I don't have any of the side effects any longer.”

Crystalllllllllllll July 11, 2015

Otezla (apremilast): “I have been on Otezla for 10 weeks. I went from having plaques on the majority of my entire body, to having none at all by week 5. This week I had a flare up. And I am feeling really nauseuas this week. I am happy with the results so far Considering I have had this condition for 20 years and have never been so clear.”

Jord W July 30, 2015

Otezla (apremilast): “I have had severe plaque psoriasis on my scalp for 5 years and up until this medication literally nothing had helped me. I did every topical, several drugs and even a uv light to treat it. Once it spread to my body I had had enough and was put on this medication. It has almost cleared up my psoriasis completely, and it works fast. However the side effects for me have been horrific. I am terribly nausous and have diahrea literally every time I take it, this subsides within the hour and I can carry on with my day. Yes it's horrible and I've considered stopping the medication; however the fact that I haven't should be proof of just how well it works.”

Harry January 9, 2020

Otezla (apremilast): “The percentages here are pretty close to what the clinical trials have shown. Only about 30-35% of people get to 75% clear. That's roughly the same percentage of people who gave a 7 or higher review. But the severity of some of the side effects are certainly concerning, as is the development of even worse psoriasis when the drug is stopped (and sometimes before). At best, it is a tricky cost/benefit call. Mainly comes down to whether someone is feeling lucky! Or not.”

Irishguy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

Otezla (apremilast): “Was on vacation and developed a rash on legs. I knew my guttate psoriasis had returned. It had been about 20 years since my last episode. Psoriasis was on my legs, trunk and arms. Derm advised me of otezla and began treatment. After two weeks my skin was clear and no side effects. Very pleased with med.”

Mean Joe · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2015

Otezla (apremilast): “This medicine began to work almost immediately. Mostly clear now except for a few spots. First time like this in 35 years. Only side effects have been bathroom visits are 2-3 a day now, loose stool. No Nausea or anything else.”

Dallas, Texas · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2019

Otezla (apremilast): “I've been prescribed every topical, & spent so much on UV-therapy. I was then put on methotrexate. Had some good results, but constant liver & kidney functions/blood tests & the upcoming liver biopsy to check for damage was not worth it. I also started to lose my hair, it started to thin out terribly after a month. I went to another physician and was prescribed Otezla. I’ve been on this medication for about a month. Already, my knees, elbows, torso, crack of my ass (inverse psoriasis) & my penis (TMI) have clearing up well. The back of my scalp had flaky plaques & heavy dandruff, & it’s almost totally clear. Otezla also seems to boost the effectiveness of topical meds for really stubborn areas. Website & reviews warn of depression, headaches and GI upset. I haven’t experienced any of these but a little insomnia. I hope the results of this medication continue. I can't tell you how great it is to finally find a medication without endless monitoring. I am happy w/Otezla.”

big guy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

Otezla (apremilast): “Started Otezla for Psoriasis, and at first was convinced that finally after suffering with Psoriasis for over 50 years had discovered a cure. Well was I wrong. After 1 month of runny nose, and heartburn, and lower back pain I had sore throat and excessive mucus. Saw my PCP and she diagnosed me with upper respiratory infection and started to treat it with antibiotics for 10 days. After 3 days I had difficulty swallowing and felt worse. Re visited the PCP 2 more times and was not getting better. Out of desperation I discontinued the Otezla and after 2 days was much better, no more runny nose, no more heartburn and did not feel depressed by not feeling well. Unfortunately, within 4 days of stopping the Otezla my Psoriasis came back in places I never had it before, so don't know what's next. Prior to Otezla I had been on Enbrel for 20 years and it stopped being effective.”

Carrezee · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

Otezla (apremilast): “I have had psoriasis symptoms for 25 years. I tried Ultravate, Dovonex and light with no success. Change my diet, symptoms faded, a few spots here and there. I had Strep and developed guttate psoriasis. Tried Cyclosporine, was like dying each dose. BP climbed to 200/100 but cleared up. Strep throat again, onto prednisone. I gained weight, couldn't sleep and moody. Insurance refused Otezla. Doc put me on methotrexate. Methotrexate requires blood draws and liver biopsies; worked on the spots caused strong brain pain. Discontinued Methotrexate, started Otezla. Initially diarrhea and headaches, the headaches ended after two or three weeks, the diarrhea 3 weeks. The sores on my hands were the first to go, then the irritated skin on my forearms. Its been 4 weeks and the progress is slow but visible. I use the Gotezla app to track the spots using photos. The wife noted she is seeing clearer skin also.”

Hsam · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

Otezla (apremilast): “Today is day 10 of my starter pack I have to say that I was very afraid to take this medication because of the reviews. There was only a few that were positive. But so far so good. Small headaches but I get them anyways. I think I’ve ran to the bathroom once. I always take medicine after eating. It’s has definitely helped more than hurt. If it changes then I will re review this. But so far I’m happy and I can tell a change in my psoriasis this early. Nothing has helped as much as Otezla the creams are for the birds. CBD Didn’t help. Enbrel didn’t help and it hurt more than helped. The only thing that is relatable to this treatment is tanning bed sessions at the local parlor when I don’t do because that will hurt more than help in the end. So I’m very pleased . Don’t knock it before you try it. Trust me it’s helped and again I’m 10 days in.”

Chuck January 29, 2020

Otezla (apremilast): “My psoriasis healed quickly, however three weeks into the starter packs I developed what I can only describe is interior tremors. It's been 2 months with no medication I still feel like I'm shaking inside anytime that I sit still. It's hard to visually see but my wife can hold my arm and feel me shaking. I would not recommend this medication.”

Roseart · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2018

Otezla (apremilast): “I have been taking Otezla for approximately one month and I have to say there is nothing like it. My psoriasis has quickly gone into remission. My psoriasis was so bad at times that I would scratch until it bled. Additionally, it has helped my psoriatic arthritis considerably. I have not been waking up stiff and in pain, that in itself is glorious. I did have the nausea the first week, but adjusted that issue by eating a substantial meal prior to taking the medicine. Had a little bit of aching in parts I had not before, but that also subsided 2.5 weeks in. Overall, it has been a great experience. Using samples at this point while I fight with my insurance company.”

Jeff · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 16, 2019

Otezla (apremilast): “I have been on Otezla for almost a year now for skin psoriasis. At first it started working and clearing my skin, then it started to come back in the spring of 2019 then when August came around all of a sudden all my Psoriasis is gone even the pustules are gone! On my hands shins and elbows my hands have normal color and softness again. I take one pill a day I was prescribed to take 2 a day but with the side effects like diarrhea at times and some minor headaches. I have had more stiffness lately but my skin is clear and I don't use the topical creams anymore. I see my Dermatologist in January and will go from there.”

eeriddle · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2019

Otezla (apremilast): “I was ok with pushing through the vomiting, nausea, fatigue & headaches. Then all of a sudden the muscles in my legs cramped & seized up. Unrelenting, excruciating pain for 3 days. Went to a sports medicine clinic. They gave me a shot and muscle relaxers. Things started to improve. Well, yesterday, Christmas Eve, my muscles in my legs, then in my arms & hands started up. I started getting pustular psoriasis in places I never had it. Horrible. Cannot sleep. I purposefully missed a dose of this stuff to see what would happen and after about 12 hrs it faded. Needless to say, it ruined my Christmas and I’m stopping this drug.”

NoelNoel · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 7, 2018

Otezla (apremilast): “Wow, I guess I have been living in a bubble. I am stunned to read some of these negative comments. I have been on Otezla for over a couple years now. After the initial common short-term side effects, I have had continuous 90 to 95% clear skin. Psoriasis used to control so much of my life, keeping my dry patches covered in public. Now I just wear whatever I want. No more long sleeves all summer and I can wear sandals again. For me Otezla equals freedom. I am so grateful!”