User Reviews for Apremilast systemic

Psoriatic Arthritis
5.2

Summary of Apremilast reviews 5.4 286 reviews

Reviews for Apremilast

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "I had psoriasis since I was 15 or so. My psoriasis was never too bad. I am 35 years old. Last year, I had psoriasis under my fingernails along with some mild joint pain. My dermatologist and my rheumatologist both suggested I try Otezla. Both to help with the areas under the fingernails and to prevent future joint pain as part of arthritis psoriasis. I tried the medicine almost for about a year. I didn't have bad side effects, I didn't lose weight either. After the first month, my fingernails cleared. But the plaques on other parts of my body didn't get better much. So I kept using the topicals. After 6 months or so, my psoriasis went so bad. I started having plaques on my body which I had never had before. My scalp is so bad shape. I stopped using it a few months ago. It is worth to mention that I got sick so many more times."

david117 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "I have been taking Otezla for over a year. Usually take 30 mg daily, but sometimes 60 mg when skin gets worse, and sometimes 15 mg when side effects are too awful and/or skin is better. Worked amazing for me in the beginning and totally cleared my skin, including scalp plaque that I've had since a teenager (I'm 45 yo). However, side effects have been bad and have never let up. Did not have depression, but definitely lots of reflux, with burping, burning etc, especially at night. Gross watery stool with constant urgency and having to race to the toilet after everything I eat. Sometimes helps to take the pill with a big meal - but not always. Have also had some headaches. Also, just a weird feeling of nausea and unwellness - usually passes after a few hours. Recently developed an extremely itchy rash (torso, arms and legs, feet) and this may be the last straw for this drug."

dbk (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Psoriatic Arthritis: "I’ve been on Otezla for almost 6 weeks for psoriatic arthritis. It improved my psoriasis almost immediately, but then the change slowed way down. No patches have totally cleared yet, though they do look better. No noticeable effect on pain yet. Unfortunately, the GI side effects seem to be getting worse instead of better, to the point where I don’t want to eat anything. I’m also consistently having headaches and increased fatigue. I’m going to try taking only one pill a day, but if that doesn’t get the side effects to a manageable level, I’ll have to stop."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "Day 10 of the starter pack, headaches are horrific. I'll try to finish the first month out but I'm not going to go thru the rest of my life with daily migraines. I'd rather be itchy."

SarahKatherine (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "The drug worked pretty well about 80% clear except that my insurance won’t pay for it and the bridge program helped me for 6 months stopped now I’m screwed out on my own. I'm going to try talz at least I can get that at my pharmacy"

Kc (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "I have been taking Otezla for approximately one month and I have to say there is nothing like it. My psoriasis has quickly gone into remission. My psoriasis was so bad at times that I would scratch until it bled. Additionally, it has helped my psoriatic arthritis considerably. I have not been waking up stiff and in pain, that in itself is glorious. I did have the nausea the first week, but adjusted that issue by eating a substantial meal prior to taking the medicine. Had a little bit of aching in parts I had not before, but that also subsided 2.5 weeks in. Overall, it has been a great experience. Using samples at this point while I fight with my insurance company."

Roseart (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "I have been taking this for a month now and it has not made my skin sores any better, maybe worse. The pill packets are easy to use and keep track of if you have taken it today or not. Going back to thr Dr. to try something else"

barnyardsavage (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "Whelp, the psoriasis cleared (mostly) after having it on my arms, neck, stomach, and scalp (lost a lot of hair) so I broke down and started Otezla. I’ve been on it for almost a year & after being an active & healthy adult (psoriasis aside), I’ve had the worst health issues I could imagine. The nausea, loss of appetite (lost 25 lbs in a year), depression and immediate, runny bowel movements after eating have all driven me crazy. I hated the psoriasis more than anything (which kept me on the med this long) & my dermatologists (that’s right, there have been two) convincingly told me none of these were side effects & advised me to change other aspects of my life (stress levels, diet - which has always been healthy & balanced, etc) as those were to blame for what I was experiencing. I’m sad that it’s taken me this long to do my own in-depth research only to find out these are common & ARE in fact side effects. I need my health back! Even if it means I’m itchy and bald!"

BB Ash October 31, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Psoriatic Arthritis: "My dr put me on Otezla for psoriatic arthritis over a year ago. The results were absolutely amazing! I had terrible itchy, scaly patches on my scalp and all in and outside of my ears. Also had a lot of joint pain. This drug eliminated all of that PLUS I lost 45 lbs. Now, it did cause diarrhea, but it wasn't unmanageable. I felt better than I have felt in years. I was lucky at that time to get this for a zero co-pay and stayed on it for a year. Unfortunately, I went on medicare this year and am no longer eligible for the zero copay and now my co-pay will be over $1,200/month, which I cannot possibly afford. I am heartbroken and all broken out again after getting off of it (plus gaining some of the weight back). I wish the drug manufacturer could somehow reduce the cost so it would be more affordable. Hopefully as time goes by, they will. But, if you can get it, please try it. I know you will be pleased."

Liza (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "Third day in the starter pack. Marked improvement in scale and red cracked skin on my face, scalp and belly button. Slight stomach discomfort on day one, barely noticed. I work out riding a bike 21 miles, 1.2 hours daily, which I feel may help me also. Hopeful. I can see people now, and not feel judged for my skin."

Iron fist (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Psoriatic Arthritis: "My dermatologist put me on Otezla for Granuloma Annulare. Mine is rare in that it is widespread and "recalcitrant." I have been on it for almost 2 weeks now. I have nausea and bathroom urgency throughout the day, though it is lessening as the days go by. I have not yet reached to full dose as I was instructed to take a dose only on a full stomach and I am too nauseous to eat two large meals a day. So I'm up to 30 mg once a day. The headaches have mostly subsided so it gives me hope that I will get acclimated to the other side effects. However I am so uncomfortable and full of aches and pains and exhaustion that I can't tell if I'm depressed or not! I sure don't feel like doing anything at all. So time will tell. I revisit the derm at 5 weeks. So far, I have not noticed any changes in my GA lesions."

GAgirl (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "Otezla worked great...for a while. Started in February few side effects was completely clear in months. Unfortunately it seems to have stopped working and psoriasis is returning."

Sometime (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "My main issue is Palmoplantar Pustular Psoriatic Arthritis, along with inverse and plaque psoriasis. I took Otezla for 59 days before calling it quits because it did nothing for my psoriasis but the nausea was 24 hr 7 days a week. Doc wanted me to stay on it but too sick to my stomach to go any longer. Exactly what is the timeframe to see improvement anyway?? I thought 59 days was enough! Barf."

Boo0202 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "My doc treated me for psoriatic arthritis & psoriasis. He started me on both Cosentyx & Otezla. After 3 doses of Cosentyx & 6 weeks of Otezla, my psoriasis was completely gone & my ankles & fingers felt better. He stopped the Cosentyx and got the Otezla approved. I was lucky as I didn't have any side effects. Not sure how I would have know which drug was causing something anyway. I have now been on Otezla for 2 years. Only once have a had a flare with my ankles and my doc just added Cosentyx for 3 more doses and then stopped it while keeping me on Otezla. Did the trick. I have lost about 10 pounds but I think that is because I feel so good and can walk the dogs again. Funny thing is that my LDLs have gone down a bunch. Thankfully, I get Otezla through their zero dollar deal. My only compliant is the jokers at the Otezla Support Hot Line. They are rude and it took my doc a long time to get it approved so he had to give me samples for about the first 6 months."

Tom from NC September 24, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "Been psoriatic since 1999, sometimes very bad. I am 51 year old. I have been on Otezla for about 3 months and skin has cleared. Initially it was bad when I followed a timed regime to take the medicine twice daily. I changed that (my decision) to take it along with two large meals which for me is brunch and dinner. Since my stomach movements are now too frequent, my skin is clear besides significant loss of weight, good bpm score, lesser exhaustion and more energy for exercise! Good job Celgene"

Bamiyan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Psoriatic Arthritis: "I've been taking Otezla since June 29th 2018. I was prescribed Otezla by the dermatologist but plaque was not present just dry skin. A small small patch of dry skin on my arm prompted a biopsy and that's how I got my Psoriatic arthritis diagnosis. My issue is I do not and never had any plaque skin issues just joint pain and I don't find this medication handling the joint pain on a daily basis. Every so often I'll get a severe pain in a finger joint, a bone in my foot or shoulder pain. I'm not sure if I need to continue taking this. I also have osteoarthritis have had knee replacement and now was told I need hip replacement. I'm going to give this medication one more month and see what the outcome will be. One good thing is I had no side effects at all."

Mimi (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "I’ve been on Otezla for about 4-5 months now. The first month I definitely saw some clearing in my original areas which were always on the upper part of my feet, scalp and a bit on my knees every now and then. Now starting my 5th month on it, I’ve begun to get breakouts in places I’ve never ever had problems like my fingers, wrists and as of the past couple days the soles of my feet. I’ve never had so many breakout areas...when I told my dermatologist in my follow up that I wasn’t cómpletely sure it was working, her first reaction was to keep me on Otezla until the end of the year to give it time to work. When I told her I’d been feeling a bit down and had nausea...she told me straight up that statistically most people suffer from depression so not to worry. I really got the vibe that she didn’t care and that she’s probably getting a commission from Otezla for keeping me on it. I’m really considering getting off it...Otezla for me has done more bad than good."

CVL September 16, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "I started taking Otezla in 2015 for inverse psoriasis. I experienced nausea, diarrhea, migraine headaches, and extreme fatigue for the first 6 months. The intragluteal fold fissures and fissures under my breast and arms were gone in less than a month. I had plaque on my shins that were spreading painfully and rapidly and my skin cleared in less than 3 months. The side effects were horrible, but tolerable. I reported the extreme fatigue because I was unable to drive a full ride home without calling for a ride when I was driving. I found myself pulling over to sleep because I couldn't keep my eyes open. I'm taking a stimulant now, and my skin remains clear. This medication has really helped me and the side effects are now tolerable. I get sporadic headaches, nausea every day, but my skin is not open any more."

Maria September 9, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "I am day 5 into the starter pack and I have to tap out. It gives me headaches. It causes nausea and the second I eat something, it causes loose, somewhat urgent bowel movements. The worst part though is the acid reflux thing going on. I am burping often and cannot sleep due to the burn. It's so uncomfortable and I have been popping Rolaids like tic tacs. My doctor thought it would help with my nail psoriasis since it is so difficult to get rid of. I did did have pretty stubborn psoriasis on my elbows that has never gone away with anything and it took about a month for my insurance to approve the Otezla so in the meantime he did give me Clobex spray to try that and it's the best thing I've ever used. My elbows we're clear in two weeks as well as the rest of my body and I have not used in a week since we starting Otezla and nothing has come back. I am going to ask for more of this and try to use it more aggressive on the nails."

Courtlynn September 3, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "I've just started Otezla and have had only the second day with some vomiting but other than that no real side effects. I'm hoping this is easier than I have read regarding the side effects. Will keep updating as I get further down the road"

Oliver (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "Some temporary improvement with the medication for 6-8 months, then stopped helping and plaques returned or increased"

Mid west doc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "Otezla, ;( my back hurts again, daily headaches, and feel so tired every day! Wake up with leg cramps every night.. Like jumping out of bed cause they hurt so bad. I'm a painting contractor on ladders everyday, my legs feel very weak and shaky. Besides that, my teeth and nails throb. Back pain! it's absurd how bad it hurts.. My energies are so low..."

just me (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "I hated this drug! I made me feel depressed, feel sick, and tired all the time! I would rather have what it is supposed to temporarily relieve symptoms of- than to go through all of the side effects. why do the pharmaceutical corporations always try just try to rent us reductions to symptoms rather than cure the problem? One word; "Profit!""

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "1 year on Otezla and my TSA, ALT, and glucose levels have all doubled. While Otezla does not indicate the need to have monthly liver tests I strongly encourage anybody starting to take this medication to discuss with their doctor getting baseline and reoccurring blood work done for at least the first year. I started Otezla in July of 2017. The reasons for taking it was to treat psoriasis of the nails, dactylitis (swollen fingers), and a few stubborn psoriasis patches in the hair line, in ear, and a patch of inverse psoriasis. Pros: Dactylitis gone in a month, 1 year nail psoriasis improved 60%. I still have psoriasis patches but they are smaller and less frequent. There is slight reduction in inverse psoriasis. Cons: TSA, ALT and glucose levels doubled in a year. Bowel movements occur within an hour after eating anything and really any other time of day including waking you up in the middle of the night."

middle aged guy (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 10, 2018

Otezla (apremilast) for Plaque Psoriasis: "Wow, I guess I have been living in a bubble. I am stunned to read some of these negative comments. I have been on Otezla for over a couple years now. After the initial common short-term side effects, I have had continuous 90 to 95% clear skin. Psoriasis used to control so much of my life, keeping my dry patches covered in public. Now I just wear whatever I want. No more long sleeves all summer and I can wear sandals again. For me Otezla equals freedom. I am so grateful!"

NoelNoel (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2018