User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clarithromycin / lansoprazole to treat Helicobacter Pylori Infection

Also known as: Prevpac

Amoxicillin/clarithromycin/lansoprazole Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Helicobacter Pylori Infection.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clarithromycin/lansoprazole

"I began my treatment of H Pylori 3 days ago. I was prescribed Amoxicilin 2,000 mg/per day, Clarithromycin 1,000 mg/per day and pantoprazole 80mg/day. Like everyone else I find the metallic taste the worst. It keeps me up at night so I am lacking sleep. I have the bloating and the diarrhea started today although its not too bad. I am concerned that my doctor didn't prescribe lansoprazole but but gave me the pantoprazole instead it seems my other medication dosages are quite high. I take 10 pills a day. I do better with less food in my stomach. I am using an excellent protein supplement drink with added yoghurt and fruit. I replace one meal a day with that. I sip on almond milk throughout the day. I am edgy and emotional and have retreated to my room to avoid annoyances beyond my door. I am trying to stay positive knowing that I will probably feel so much better when this is all over. While I take to my bed I visualize the antibiotics killing off these nasty little beasts. That helps too. Good luck everyone"

pacsnack56 May 18, 2019

Prevpac (amoxicillin / clarithromycin / lansoprazole): "Have completed the 14 day Prevpac treatment....I started the first day expecting horrible side effects. That didn't happen, I had a few nausea moments that lasted only seconds, my bowel motions were totally normal. I will say I became very fatigued, but I slept well and generally felt very good during the entire 14 days. I did have a bit of depression but, I assumed it was caused by the treatment so I just ignored that. It was 8 pills a day, plus a probiotic...that's 126 pills in two weeks! As you can see it didn't affect my mathematic skills!!...Today is the 2nd day pill free and done with Prevpac. I don't remember feeling this good in a long while. The treatment appears to have worked extremely well. So....do I recommend Prevpac - that is a resounding YES. And, the best of luck to you all."

Mack6 (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2019

Prevpac (amoxicillin / clarithromycin / lansoprazole): "So, started off pretty confident. No problems here, what's the big deal? Day 7 projectile vomiting for 24 hours, followed by fatigue, my bits felt on fire, couldn't get out of bed, couldn't work, no appetite, should have gone to ER for IV fluids. Finished last dose night before, nurse said cure is often feels worse than the bug (but the bug can increase risk of stomach cancer). I hope H Pylori is gone because I'm really not sure I can do it again. Of course everyone's experiences are different, wishing you all the best."

Painful (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2019

"I was a bit shocked when I picked up my prescription to see what is in a Prevpac, it was amoxicillin, clarithromycin, lansoprazole all neatly packed in blisters. I called the specialist and asked for confirmation that I had the right stuff. To my chagrin, the answer was 'yes'! It had to be taken for 14 long days. How I had to take it was one lansoprazole 30mg, two amoxycillin 500mg, and one clarithromycin 500mg and I had to do that twice a day. The next day after starting the regimen, I felt fine. Scorned myself for being apprehensive. 2nd day the dreaded after taste started and is still here accompanied with lightheadedness, like being on a bender but without the fun. 9 very long days to go. But if after all the pills, I never get a repeat of what caused the problem in the first place, it will be well worth the misery. I am in the old age category so if the reader is also, I hope this paragraph helps to make the experience a little less lonely! "

Davo (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2019

Prevpac (amoxicillin / clarithromycin / lansoprazole): "I’m on day 9 of this horrible medicine. It’s horrible to me because I got hit with side effects of diarrhea, fatigue, loss of appetite, followed with anxiety and even an episode of depression which I’m still recovering from. It’s scary to deal with but I haven’t had heartburn since beginning this and have been able to eat. Before taking the medicine the infection made me not even want to chew. It is very rough but I’m almost at the end and that’s what’s helping me pull through all this. Some tips is to take a probiotic like lactobacillus to help with diarrhea (it’s helped somewhat for me) avoid any acidic foods sugars and salty stuff. I’ve searched through many others reviews of this medicine to make sure I’m not the only one with anxiety and panic attacks If you take this medicine and go through serious anxiety please talk to someone about your thoughts it’ll help. Before this medicine I’ve never had anxiety or depression. Those side effects are killing me."

Joe March 30, 2019

"This is a message for everyone who freaks out after reading these reviews. I just finished the 14 day treatment and have to say that the only side effect I experienced was the weird (but mild) metal taste in my mouth. No diarrhea, no nausea, no insomnia, no headaches, no pain whatsoever. You'll be fine!! :)"

Jane (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2019

"Day 14, and I'm done with the protocol!!!!! At 62 yrs old, I never experienced anything that even resembled acid reflux, which brought me to my knees during the 3-4 am for several days. For temporary survival, I was able to block the symptoms with Zantac. Then my endoscopy results showed positive for h pylori. So even with the consumer reviews of serious side effects with two weeks of antibiotics, I had no choice with such horrific acid reflux. Fortunately, I was extremely blessed during the 14 days of antibiotic treatment with only periodic bad taste and dryness in my mouth. I was careful in daily diet to avoid any greasy/fatty/spicy foods and always to complete a full meal before ingesting the antibiotics and the lansoprazole twice a day. I suppose it's hardly worth mentioning that I never drank any alcohol or took other prescription drugs during the 14 days."

Newbie56 (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2019

"My H. Pylori treatment differs from most since I am allergic to amoxicillin, I take 6 pills a day. 3 in morning 3 at night for 2 weeks, which are lansoprazole, flagyl, and Clarithromycin. First day I had bloating and that horrible taste in my mouth, didn’t taste metallic but very sour. 2nd day I felt dizzy and nauseous and a racing heart beat when I tried to go to bed, I’m halfway through and I still have bloating, little appetite, nausea and the after taste, no racing heart since the 2nd day though. Yogurt and milk are helpful to settle your tummy. I’m hoping after the pills are all done I will feel much better! Since I use to get on and off nausea and heartburn before I started treatment. Just keep taking the meds and suffer through the side effects. And also the 3 meds I was prescribed cost me $122, I do not have insurance."

Kayte (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2019

Prevpac (amoxicillin / clarithromycin / lansoprazole): "Hello everyone - I was tested for the dreaded Pylori and the doc said I had a high amount in my gut. I was prescribed the triple therapy all prescribed separately so the cost was generic - $22 with insurance. I dreaded starting this regime from all the horrific reviews - but I'm on day 2 and so far so good. I do have some explosive diarrhea times, churning stomach, mild headache and very tired. I'm hoping the rest of the 12 days will go this smoothly. I'm on holiday break so I'm taking the time off - I don't see how someone could work a stressful or manual labor job on these drugs. I did take all the advice from this forum - I am taking two Align probiotics a day with several glasses of kefir and yogurt and eating small veggie meals and crackers - nothing acid or spicey or carb heavy."

tommy (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2018

"I was very dubious and anxious at taking this cocktail of tablets. I always tell myself not to read reviews but I always end up reading anyway. I've read a lot of horror stories from allergic reactions to not being able to get out of bed. However, I've had no major side effects from this treatment. The only side effect I had was a a metallic taste in the mouth, I suggest getting a pack of polo's as it really helps. I have two days left of taking these antibiotics and I feel completely normal. I've not had loose stools or any stomach cramps. I've not been fatigued either, the only thing is a lot of gas but its not been crippling like others have experienced. I suggest drinking a lot of water to flush the system and eating before taking the medication. I urge people not to feel worried at completing treatment or stop because they've read a bad review because I can say that I'd rather have a bit of metallic taste and gas than go through the pain I was in with helicobacter pylori."

Samistart51 December 15, 2018

"First day I took the drug I was already feeling like not eating which was a bad idea because my blood sugar dropped twice but I got better after eating some desserts. That was only the first day though the next morning I feel instantly better. Also experience a odd bitter taste in the mouth every day now. Around day 5 I had this weird thick film of yellow stuff on my tongue and I had to use a towel to scrape it completely off. I feel weak from taking this medication and have trouble getting out of bed which makes driving pretty dangerous. Terrible hiccups and burps the first few days which I hated but that has gone before day 6. I still feel discomfort if I don't eat. My taste buds are completely changed I've been craving spicy foods and my tolerance for them went up significantly. The bloating in my stomach went down since day 2 for the first time in years my belly is squishy to the touch. Currently on day 7 will update later."

Rose (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2018

Prevpac (amoxicillin / clarithromycin / lansoprazole): "I was VERY hesitant to take the meds due to the horror stories and I'm glad I actually went through with it!!! Everyone reacts different to the meds and it's not as bad as I read it would be!!! I'm currently on Day 10 of 14(Almost there...Kudos to me!!!) 1st couple days I felt nothing...By Day 4 I notice the dark stool, and I'm still having dark stools...By Day 8 I'm a bit nauseous at times and would feel better after eating. So far, yesterday which was Day 9 for me I felt the worst of it...I was nauseous all day, light headache, frequently BMs, and exhausted. Today Day 10, a little nauseous earlier around breakfast and a little bit now...but better after eating!!! Also, my sense of smell seem to have heightened which also makes me nauseous...But overall, it's definitely not as bad as I read or as bad as the doctor told me it would be...But honestly I can't wait to finish!!!"

Creole_Beauty_504 October 28, 2018

Prevpac (amoxicillin / clarithromycin / lansoprazole): "I took the prevpak many years ago after suffering with sharp abdominal pain, cramping, nausea, severe heartburn and probably other symptoms I can't remember. I had no issues with the medication whatsoever. I encourage those of you who are reading negative comments to put your health first as allowing this infection to persist can lead to conditions much worse than simply having a bacteria in your stomach. If you should get any symptoms with the medications, rest assured you are probably already having them now! You will feel back to normal again after a few days. I have read some comments where some have stated they have other issues with their backs, neck etc etc. From a medical and professional standpoint, these symptoms are not related. I recommend you eat some yogurt with the treatment throughout the course to help with symptoms if you are more sensitive to medications."

Healthy again! October 15, 2018

"I started this treatment 2 days ago. The first day, I had abdominal cramps and nausea but no vomiting, thankfully. I also felt very dizzy and hazy but I had a chocolate bar which really helped. The second morning, I woke up with an extremely bitter taste in my mouth and diarrhea. The dizziness, cramps and nausea went away though. I also have a bigger appetite than before. Overall, the symptoms that I was feeling before starting the medications such as cramps and nausea while hungry, abdominal pain after fried foods, and a persistent dull stomachache are pretty much gone. I was also losing weight and could barely eat! I just hope these little bugs are dead after my treatment. (amoxicillin/clarithromycin/lasoprazole under the brand name "HP PAC")."

NotYourAverageGal October 5, 2018

"Was diagnosed with H pylori and given amoxicillin, clarithromycin and omeprazole to take for 14 days. First day my only side effect was extreme fatigue. Second day no side effect expect a headache. By the 5th day I started to experience diarrhea. That was my only side effect and the bitter taste in my mouth off and on for the rest of my treatment. I did do as others mentioned and took a probiotic between doses. Make sure you remember to throw away your tooth brushes and buy new ones after treatment! All in all treatment wasn't bad. Don't let other people's experiences scare you."

Dog lover (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2018

"I started treatment 3 days ago and it hasn't been bad at all. I'm doing the Omeprazole, amoxicillin, clarithromycin treatment. First day first dose I experienced a little bit on nausea but nothing bad enough to make me vomit. Came and went I did experience extreme fatigue. My entire body was weak and tired. After a nap I felt fine! I ate activia yogurt 4 hours after taking it. It also caused a pretty bad migraine. Second dose wasn't bad at all started to experience the nasty taste in my mouth which isn't even that bad and it only lasted about 5 mins It tastes like when a pill dissolves in your mouth but after drinking water it went away. The 2nd day same thing fatigue for about 2 hours and a migraine.. nothing that bad at all day 3 slight headache and a little few pains in my gut that come and go. Again nothing that affected my daily life. No diarrhea yet but I am constipated! I've been eating activia yogurt twice daily which has been a huge help. I'm also taking zofran to prevent the nausea."

Amy September 3, 2018

"I’m on my 3 day and I’m glad I’m not the only one that have experienced the horrible metal taste. The first day was bad I couldn’t sleep and I felt tired, my stomach was hurting really bad for the past 2 days but now I feel better. I’m just worry about getting and yeast infection."

Hachi July 28, 2018

"I'm on day 7 and have 7 days to go. From what I understand, after an infection like this it's best to take it easy on your stomach and eat things that are easy to process. To the poster who said they have painful gas and bloating, I would consider drinking broth for a couple of days instead of solid foods and give your bowels and stomach a chance to really rest. Some foods can be intolerable to a body after this infection and can be too hard to deal with. Give it a few days or a week of soups and stewed fruits and that should help. The diarrhea is likely going to continue while on these meds because they are really powerful and all of them list that as a common side effect. Hang in there. I am half way though and already feel fantastic if I don't count the heinous taste in my mouth, night and day. If your mouth tastes like someone dumped a load of bitter garbage into it, try some gum, don't eat sweets. Sweets are just what H. Pylori like and are hard to digest. Good luck!"

just another case (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

Prevpac (amoxicillin / clarithromycin / lansoprazole): "I took this pack and after the 2nd day on the meds I felt I was gonna die, I tried to relax myself and have faith it would work. After the 4th day, I started feeling better and everyday after that. I finished the meds and now I am 2 weeks since finished the pack. I have not felt this great in years. I urge you all that are taking it or consider taking it to let the meds run its course. Yes there is side effects but as for my part, I felt those side effects out weigh the pain I had been having for years. Now I can eat, whatever I want and I have not gotten sick. By the way, doctors here in the USA could not diagnose this infection, I live next to the border of Mexico, so I sought treatment there and within one day, he gave the results and treatment. Its the same treatment from Mexico and the USA."

jesse (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2018

"I was struggling with acid reflux for 2 months so finally got the endoscopy and biopsy done. It was H Pylori unfortunately. I am on day 2 of my 14 days medication and these medicines have given me diarrhoea, bloating, gas (slight irritating pain in chest), headache, weakness, bitter taste etc. Its really annoying to eat so many medicines, I really hope I get better after this. Does anyone have any idea for how to reduce bloating and gas when on this medication?"

Shahansha Khan (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

Prevpac (amoxicillin / clarithromycin / lansoprazole): "Day 5. My neck hurts and my back and chest hurt and it's hard to breathe . I have insomnia and no appetite, diarrhea and chills every time I take it. I remember the Dr saying some people body can't handle it - if you feel weak then skip a dosage and start again. Doesn't stop the side effects along with all that I have headaches and a shooting pain in my left arm from time to time. I also feel weak and even dizzy along with a sore throat that's red in places . I'm going to go see the Dr when I get off work cause I think it could be infection and that scares me so maybe I'll go maybe I'll suck it up and finish it."

Hurts May 11, 2018

"The bitter taste in my mouth! Omg! I've taken Chinese herbal medicine in the past, and those are known to be bitter. But THIS is a different ball game! I'm only on my 2nd day and I've been eating all sorts of sweets to try to keep the bitterness at bay. The bitterness is most potent around 2-3 hrs after taking a dose, & lasts for hours & hours. Finally, when the bitterness is pretty much gone, it's time for the next dose!"

ChelleBelle (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

"I was diagnosed with h pylori and I am on 3rd day med .. my mouth taste so bitter and I am also having problem urinating. Does any one had these kind of issues"

K.d (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

Prevpac (amoxicillin / clarithromycin / lansoprazole): "Given Prevpac for H. Pylori. Within 48 hrs of ending the full course of medication I experienced an anaphylactic reaction. Large, round, flat hives formed on the soft of my arms and inner thighs. My hands began to swell, and then I felt my face begin to swell. The swelling moved from left to right across my face, and it eventually began to close my throat and enlarge my tongue. My husband drove me to an urgent care center where I received a shot of Kenalog and a Medrol dose pack. I always list Prevpac as a medicine of which I am allergic."

tulsa gal November 15, 2017

"I tested positive for H pylori with a value of 2.07. Everyones comment were so helpful. I was searching for side effect information on this treatment medicines and I didn't find anything on it. I read your comments and I'm glad to find that the symptom in my mouth is common. I' m on day 2/14 day treatment and I'm experiencing a nasty bitter (Medicine) taste in my mouth!! It's horrible and never goes away. I literally sleep with a mint gum in my mouth because I just can't stand it. I was about to hit the dentist, thought it had something to do with a mouth infection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017