User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Sitavig, Zovirax

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Mononucleosis 3 reviews 0 medications

8.2
Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Acyclovir reviews 98 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Acyclovir

For Herpes Simplex: "This is the only thing that works for myself stress induced break outs (college). I use both the pills and the cream. I believe when I first started using acyclovir it was more effective and now it can take a good 4-5 days to fully heal. This is nothing in comparison to a cold sore that lasted a month without the meds though! 400mg. Free with my healthcare for the pills, the cream was $25."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I started using acyclovir, 2 months ago. I had 9 separate mouth and tongue ulcers, and anal herpes at that time. Presently, I have no anal issues. But, I have two ulcers that just won't go away completely. What I believe to be hsv2 colitis, that was diagnosed as plain ulcerative colitis has improved, after having an acute flare up that has lasted several months."

Noni9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cold Sores: "I felt a fever blister (cold sore) coming on so I began 400 mg of acyclovir 3 times a day . After the second day I experienced a headache that was very uncomfortable. My early cold sore did not progress into an unsightly and painful sore. I am treating the headache with 500 mg Tylenol once a day ."

Richy C January 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex: "I got oral herpes on my face when I was in the orange in russia. I've had it seen I was younger. I'm 22 now and deal with this. I hate it. But the medication is very effective for me. I'm currently between doctors and ran our of my pills :(.. and I have a flare up. To much stress lately. I don't know how it feels to have genital herpes but I can tell you having it on my cheeks burns like crazy. Ugh..this cream isn't doing anything either."

Jeepgirl22 December 30, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex: "Since early childhood I've gotten painful and gross cold sores. Just awful. In my nose sometimes, down my chin...yuck. I hate this virus. I tried all the wacky home remedies...yeah that battery powered silvery piece of rubbish I figured I'd just be Quasimoto every 3 or 4 months and just deal with it. :( Until Acyclovir 800. What IS this stuff?!?! It's magic, that's what it is. YMMV, I personally have to take 4 at first tingle to stop it "cold." It never gets red, never gets to blister. Certainly not that fun cracked, bleeding horror show round about day 6 without this stuff. So to make a long story longer, get Acyclovir 800. An interesting side effect is that I also have fewer, and less severe outbreaks. Thanks for reading,"

Stillenduringthemat50 (taken for 10 years or more) December 23, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cold Sores: "Was given this medication for cold sores which had gone down into my throat thanks to having a weak immune system from Lupus. This needs to be tested on viral bronchitis. I had a cold sore starting as the symptoms of viral bronchitis started so began taking the med yesterday (day 5 of cold) and took my first dose right at 24 hours ago. Im still very tired and feel a little feverish but my nose and chest are 90% better. My mom has had this cold/virus for 14 days and still fighting it, I have lupus so every cold takes me weeks to overcome. Im sure the med is helping with my cold."

MercysMom99221 December 5, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I am a Derm nurse. I used the coupon, got mine free plus got samples from office. If you use it at first sign of a flare it's great. It is kind of messy and I had white medicine on my teeth. 1 pill better than taking Valtrex up to 5 days."

Mxyla November 21, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex: "A year and a half ago, my BF went to New Mexico. While he was there, he contracted HSV-2. When he came back, he was honest about having the virus. I never saw an outbreak on him, so I thought he was paranoid. Last weekend, I noticed that I had burning after intercourse. By Monday, I was sure I had an outbreak. It burned when I urinated and felt like the bottom of my vagina was on fire. Tuesday I went to the dr and she said it looked like Herpes. I'm 39 years old. She prescribed acyclovir 400mg 3x. This is my first day. So far the burning is persistent and the itchiness is driving me insane. Any ideas???"

DoeGirl77 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Mononucleosis: "This drug literally saved my life. I had a "low replication" chronic epstein barr virus infection for years without knowing it. This led to a very debilitating case of CFS for me. After 2 years I got to the point where I was so weak that I would go to sleep feeling like I might not ever wake up again. Then, I found a naturopath who put me on Acyclovir. The first two weeks were tough because it caused a severe herx reaction, but I have been on it for 8 months now, and I feel like a living energetic person again. This little pill literally saved me when countless doctors couldn't. If you would like to read about treatment for CFS with this drug: google valacyclovir and chronic fatigue"

Kkww September 30, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was diagnosed with genital herpes 30 years ago. My ex-husband gave it to me knowing he had it. He was having active sores but didn't tell me. I found out after my doctor did a test years later. At the time the only thing available was an ointment. It helped but I was having outbreaks about every 6 weeks & miserable. I was not sexually active during my outbreaks & only had one partner who knew. He did not get it. Generic acyclovir pills became available at a price I could afford, I started taking 400 mgs twice a day. I've been on it for 8 years &!have not had one outbreak. It's been great & I don't have side effects. I have MS which is an autoimmune disease. It may be why I had such severe outbreaks. I'm not ever going to stop taking it."

Josie Lynn (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 23, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I have had about four cold sores a year throughout my teens and through my twenties. My dentist had a Sitavig poster in his office and gave me a prescription when I asked about it. I got a cold sore over 4th of July while at the beach and quickly applied Sitavig. I didn't have any issues with tablet in my gum and was still able to eat and drink throughout the day. Best part was I didn't get a blister and haven't had one since. Copay for two tablets was $35 which I thought was fair for two treatments."

Greg1245 September 21, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I'm 32 years old and I first got outbreaks when I was about 13 or so. I would get them maybe once every year or so on my lip. They started getting more frequent, and I ended up getting outbreaks around my nostril too. Over the last few years they got very frequent, about every other month. I've tried lysine ointments, home remedies, nutritional supplements, Abreeva, but none prevent outbreaks. Then in Dec 2015 I had a horrible outbreak. The size of a quarter! I had enough. I read up on treatments and my doctor prescribed the Acyclovir suppressive therapy. I only take one 400mg tablet a day. It's August and I haven't had an outbreak since Dec! It's cheap, about $8 and change. I have no side effects at all. I am so happy I found this!"

GG Grey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex: "Can anybody tell me how to deal with a red, swollen eye with blurred vision 5 days after stopping using Zovirax eye ointment. Could anybody also tell me how to stop falling asleep while taking aciclovir tablets. I find this drug debilitating and will go to see an optician about my virus."

leachbutton1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zovirax (acyclovir) for Herpes Simplex: "I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I am on immunosuppressants so my body just can't fight this virus on its own. After 5 days I went to my doctor. This medication was amazing- within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I am on 400 mg 3 x daily for 10 days. I am currently on day 6. For the first few days I would feel lightheaded (not dizzy) for a few hours after each dose, but that has gone away now. No nausea when taken with food. I did have a few mild headaches, but that was because I was not drinking enough fluid. As soon as I hydrated, headaches were gone. My doctor gave me 2 refills so next time I feel the onset I can start treatment right aw"

Krreno (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I get cold sores about every other month. I went to my Dermatologist and she gave a prescription for Sitavig. It sticks on your gum which is weird and takes getting used to, but she told me it is supposed to make you have fewer outbreaks. Sure enough, I went 5 months before my next one. When I saw her next I did complain that it took long time to dissolve. She said that was part of what made it work so well. Not sure how, but I will never go back to using my valtrex."

Nick1983 July 14, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cold Sores: "I've suffered with cold sores since I was about 6 years old, I am now 18 and when I was going through my final year of high school I had at least 1 cold sore a month because of the stress of things so I was prescribed acyclovir. I was told to take 2 a day for 3 months and then take a break and it dramatically improved my cold sores. They barely appeared but when they did they were half as big as usual and they healed within about 4 days. Now I only take acyclovir when I feel a cold sore coming on and it is honestly the best thing that I have used to help."

Bunny321 July 11, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex: "This stuff works great. I had my initial outbreak last year and thankfully had no pain, just itchiness. Got the sores and went to the doc- 800mg 3 times a day for 10 days. Within three days, maybe even two, they completely shrank and i could barely see them. By the 5th day completely gone. Few days ago 3 bumps appeared and I got another RX. On the third day and it is completely gone. Maybe some gastrointestinal discomfort as a side effect but that might have been to my crappy diet the last few days too :)"

HSVSucks99 July 1, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex: "I'm 57 and got herpes 35 years ago when I was cheating on my wife. I find that the meds work in 3 days if you take it at the very first sign."

Roger N June 21, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cold Sores: "Tried this for CS outbreak. I'll keep it simple and to the point Pros: -Works a lot better than any OTC (throw that junk out waste of $) -Cheap...compared to other drugs -Fast acting ...even if caught later will still work -Can stop/reduce symptoms -Convenient vs any cream -Side affects nothing like Famvir Cons: -Not as good as Famvir(holy grail to knockout cold sores) -It appears you need to double the dose to really get an affect -Maybe slight headache -You need to take a lot, its not just 3 pills and done... -no advancement in this drug and its been around for how long?? -Did get a second outbreak while taking...but cleared up quick."

RGate June 16, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex: "Unfortunately my ex-boyfriend intentionally & knowingly gave me Herpes. The first breakout was horrible, I had to go to the Emergency room. They prescribed me Acyclovir 400 mg 4x daily. It definitely works and it works fast. I had no side effects at all. I always keep it on me and I am to take 200mg 5x daily if I start to have another breakout."

lexus985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex: "I suddenly keep getn these horrible cold sores like I was slit with a razor outside in like half inch splits that sting so bad n a couple times I've gotten a single sore down unda that hurts n is red. I go as long as I can bare it n sometimes it goes away on its own quickly but wen It doesn't I take one of my sisters acyclovir's a day n 9times outa 10 it goes away within a few days. I now take lysine with my daily vitamins. U cant just take vitamins wen u need em u gota take em daily so wen u get sick or watever they've already built up in ur system. I skipped a few days last week n i already got 2cold sores. Abreva only works if u use it at the 1st sign of a cold sore, once the sores there it will not work n that's a big waist of money"

cold sore queen (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex: "Ive been diagnosed with this about 2 maybe 3 weeks ago ...my boyfriend gave it to me i found out when he had a breakout....the night before we had sex so we both went to the er to find out whats wrong ....I have not had a break out was on the 5 pill a day thing but my body couldnt handle it so the doctor put me on the pill i time a day ....idk whats going on but now I cant pee ive been trying to pee for 14 hours...ut feels like I have to go then when I sit on the toilet nothing but a few drops come out"

Leah211 (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I have used this product for a year. The biggest problem with this medication is finding a pharmacy that can get it. I have only had to order it twice. The first time was from one big pharmacy. When I went to get it refilled, they couldn't get it. I then found a local small town pharmacy. I was able to order it one time, tried to re-order it and they can no longer get it. I WILL find another place to buy it. This is the only thing that I can honestly say works. I have had 4 flare ups in a year. Only one time did it not take it away within a few hours. And, that is because I didn't catch it soon enough. It does work better when you use it as soon as you feel a cold sore coming on. I highly recommend this pill if you can get it. Use the coupon."

Bobbiejd March 7, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex: "I was diagnosed with HSV-2 five years ago. I had hardly any symptoms until now. I was not in a sexual relationship but this week I had sex after my menstrual cycle. I had my first outbreak, it was horrible. I felt so depressed. I had all kinds of blisters in private places. Very very painful, it was hard to walk, sit sleep, go to the bathroom. I searched the web for treatment. First I tried tea tree oil, that was too harsh down there. Then I took 6,000 mg of Lysine, that did not help at all. Took 3,000 mg vitamin C, nothing. I felt that white vinegar helped a bit and cornstarch was soothing. I took 2 Epsom salt baths a day and that was soothing also. The only thing that helped was Acyclovir all symptoms went away right away."

anonmmmm March 4, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have been taking acyclovair 800mg everyday for about 13 years and I never have outbreaks. I would suggest to everyone to take acyclovair as suppressive therapy rather than waiting to feel the tingle and then treating the virus. I forget it even exists as I never have outbreaks or suffer with any symptoms. If I don't take it, after about 1 week I will start to feel the tingle. Anyways this medicine has helped me live symptom free for many years. I highly suggest anyone suffering to take it as suppressive therapy. It's so much better never even having to deal with that first tingle! And to everyone experiencing an outbreak for the first time, rest assured the first time is the worst. It does get better and easier to manage. I feel for you!!"

Itgetsbetter1234 February 26, 2016