User Reviews for Acyclovir

Herpes Simplex - CongenitalNot rated - Add rating1 review 1 medications
Summary of Acyclovir reviews 8.5 136 reviews

Reviews for Acyclovir

Sadbuthopeful11 · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

For Herpes Simplex: "I became very irritated down there to the point it hurt to go to the bathroom I schedule an appointment for the doctor and they told me I had a yeast infection I then noticed bumps down there and they tested for HSV2 (herpes simplex 2) came back positive. Currently day 3 of acyclovir and I am so happy to almost be back to myself. The pain I went through was unbearable... had to call out of work several times because I could barely walk. We will see how this medicine works for me overtime"

doctorW · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 14, 2019

Zovirax (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I get coldsores mainly in the summer, my symptoms start of with dry and itchy lips, and then they start to blister and swell, I recommend if you have the same symptoms as me then put the Zovirax on as SOON AS POSSIBLE! The cold sore feels much better as soon as it’s on, the healing begins straight away, the blister on the mouth begins to dry out so it may feel uncomfortable, because of this I also use Carmex Lip Balm to keep my lips moisturised. I use Zovirax every time I get a cold sore and they heal much faster, for me it’s max 4 days. Amazing product and definietely worth the money!"

HeyLouie · Taken for 10 years or more April 8, 2019

For Herpes Simplex: "Have had HSV2 for 30 years and take Acyclovir 400 mg for episodic outbreaks. In the "early years",I used Zovirax ointment, which is very good, but the tablets are betteras you take the medication early, before the dreadful outbreak, in the form of Acyclovir 400mg/2-3x daily for 3-5 days has been an unbelievable blessing. It IS a horrible disease, but Acyclovir makes it bearable."

BusinessTraveler · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2019

For Cold Sores: "Summary - If you get a cold sore, use Valacyclovir and Xerese ASAP and don't stop until it is gone!!! Details - My nose (area between the two nostrils) started getting red Tuesday morning. I just put Neosporin on it Tuesday night. I woke up Wed realizing it was a cold sore issue. I was out of town and didn't have the cold sore meds with me. I got Valacyclovir filled and immediately starting taking 2 pills in the AM and PM. I then got Acyclovir cream filled (as Xerese was not available). I used that cream almost every two hours. It is very good, but not as optimal as Xerese. I kept taking both drugs all day Wed and Thursday, even though for Valacyclovir you can stop after 1 day. I didn't want to chance it. I got home late Thursday from traveling and swapped out Acyclovir for Xerese. Results - AMAZING! All I had was a very tiny scar on Friday afternoon."

Ems · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was diagnosed with HSV-2 six months ago. The guy I was seeing had told me before we slept together, and we always used condoms, but it was still transmitted. First outbreak was grim and lasted for about a month, huge blisters on my thighs rendered me unable to walk. I stopped dating for a long time because I couldn't seem to control the outbreaks, and it seemed I was getting them back-to-back every week (although they never came out as full sores, just slight itching and discomfort). I started taking suppressive acyclovir (2 x 400mg per day) after 4 months, and so far the 'outbreaks' have just been itchy with no visible sores. Though I do still get them frequently despite leading a healthy, for the most part stress-free lifestyle. I will continue to take suppressive acyclovir for the foreseeable future to see if my body can eventually adjust to the virus."

JB January 25, 2019

For Herpes Simplex: "When using oral and cream at onset gets rid of them fast. But remember this oral stuff really bad on the liver. If outbreaks are like a few times a year not to worry. If down in Mexico can get for a fraction of the cost then in the states."

Jen January 19, 2019

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "This stuff is amazing! At first it was difficult to apply to gums (it is a tablet you stick on your gums and you don't swallow it). It say sto use round side to apply to gums but I found it easier to use flat side of tablet. If you catch it in time you just get a tiny bump and it goes down by the next day. I haven't had a bad blister in over a year. Use to get them 3 to 4 times a year. Now, maybe 2. If u don't have insurance this medication will be expensive unfortunately."

Loved01 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 5, 2018

For Herpes Simplex: "My fiance and I discovered, in the beginning of our relationship, that we both had genital herpes. My first outbreak was the ABSOLUTE worst experience, I was so sick. We suffered for 2 years, had constant breakouts and then finally we decided to both respectively take acyclovir. Doses are 800 mg tablet every day, and honest to goodness it was a miracle drug. We have been on it for 3 months now and except for an occasional itch here and there that lasts for a day and then goes away, neither of us have had the lesions or the terrible symptoms. We do not take it when we feel symptoms; instead, we take 800mg every day, possibly for the rest of our lives but that's okay so long as we never have to experience another outbreak!!"

Lizz November 29, 2018

For Cold Sores: "Its no exaggeration that cold sores on my lips has in a way, been ruining my life. It has ended relationships, and I've learned to become ashamed. I had a boyfriend in high school who kissed me with one and now I get them several times a year, and in the winter its back to back. Its horrible. But this drug is a life saver. I wake up with mine, no tingles. I blast them instantly with 2 at a time ever few hours, and by the end of the night the blisters will cease. What took a week to two weeks to heal now only takes days, sometimes its not even noticeable at all. I now take this everyday to prevent outbreaks. This is a huge relief in my life. I recommend for anyone who suffers like me!"

star · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 30, 2018

For Herpes Simplex: "taking 400mg once a day works for me to prevent outbreaks"

Hol · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 30, 2018

For Cold Sores: "I'm a 35 year old female who has suffered from cold sores for so long I have pictures of me as a 3 year old with them, almost every year book picture, me with a cold sore. Every period, stressed, every Holiday. I was prescribed Acyclovir at 33 years old after giving birth to my first child. I had an outbreak and worried about my son catching the virus from me (Herpes is dangerous/deadly for infants) as my mother was so irresponsible when I caught it young. It's amazing, I remember thinking as a small child If given 3 wishes, one would be never get Cold sores again. I'd been on it and hadn't experienced one in almost 2 years. I'm very grateful l I'd never experienced ocular or genital herpes and have great sympathy for those who do. Acyclovir is a miracle for me"

Tammi · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 19, 2018

For Cold Sores: "I use this drug for the occasional cold sore that I get on and/or around my mouth. I live in Mexico and found this drug over the counter. Super sad to hear the cream costs $200 !! Here a 5g tube and 50 tabs of 400 mg tablets cost me a whopping $7 USD. I have a few different tubes so I can have it available if I ever feel a tingle. And since it’s so cheap if I see even a stranger with a cold sore I offer it to them. It is a miracle worker for me. If I am fortunate enough to catch it in time to take a pill it rarely goes to a full blister. And if it does it is contained to a very slight bump. For me it also relieves any discomfort."

Hang in there · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 5, 2018

For Herpes Simplex: "After trying A LOT of different things Acyclovir is definitely what you need to be taking ASAP. As soon as you feel any tingling at all. If you are unfortunate enough to have reached the weeping sores phase I found the only thing to soothe the pain was salt water with black tea. Pop a tea bag in with hot very salty water and cleanse your intimate area once cool enough. Sounds mad but you'll thank me after!"

kunnu · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2018

For Herpes Zoster: "I had herpes zoster in April 2017, was prescribed acyclovir 400mg x2 with anti-allergic tabs for seven days and was cured although after-effects were felt for long. Interestingly, I also got rid of another medical condition that had been bothering me for more than a year prior to the herpes attack. After one year, symptoms of old problem (not herpes) developed again. I told doctor about the effect acyclovir tabs had on it a year ago. But the doctor laughed away my observations and prescribed other medicines. When I didn't get relief even after my third visit to her, she reluctantly prescribed acyclovir tabs. I was completely cured after eight days. Before going public with full details, I would like to share it with manufacturers of acyclovir tabs. They may like to initiate some more research on this wonderful drug and arrive at a definitive conclusion vis-a-vis my observations. I may offer myself for clinical trials, if necessary."

Beloved Salsa · Taken for less than 1 month July 9, 2018

Zovirax (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Took one ten day course of this anti-viral over seven years ago and have never had even a hint of another fever blister symptom ever since. I felt better after first week, and remarkably stronger after completing the 10 day prescription . Next best thing to a cure."

Smiff · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2018

For Cold Sores: "This medication is great! I can't believe it works so fast.. I will definitely recommend it!"

Denny May 6, 2018

For Herpes Simplex: "Great drug .. it’s a shame the cream is so expensive. Tablet for relatively inexpensive. Why is the ointment so expensive?"

K. Turner · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "My first outbreak was horrific. I could not walk for a week the pain was so unbearable. I laid in bed the whole time with cold packs between my legs and dreaded when having to use the bathroom because the pain was excruciating. I started this medication 4 days after I was infected and had symptoms. It did help and I have been on it for a couple of months now and no side effects. My doctor wants me to be on it for 2 years for suppressive therapy and then try to get off of it. She did inform me however that if I had several outbreaks, she had no problem putting me back on it. She assured me it was safe longterm. There have been times I have forgotten to take my meds and within a few days I have some symptoms, but then I start back up again and in a few days, I am feeling better. This medicine truly allows me to forget that I have HSV-2, other than when I take my meds. It’s been a miracle for me."

pinky March 25, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've had fever blisters since I was a child. When I was a teenager I got fever blisters a lot. As I got older usually just in the summer. About 4 years ago I was getting them every other month. Dr put me on 400mg twice daily. Have not had any in the last year and a half. What a difference its made in my life!"

Questeffa · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2018

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Works wonders, but takes a full 24 hours of awkwardly sitting on my gums before dissolving."

Little old me · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2018

For Cold Sores: "16 years ago I was accidentally poked in my eye. The following day my eye flared up very inflamed and painful. I was diagnosed with viral keratitis (cold sore virus in the eye). About 5 years later they finally put me on zovirax tablets 800mg. I found them great. Didn't take long for to clear it up while also using zovirax eye ointment I have had less breakouts over the years compared to the 3 or 4 a year I had been experiencing before be I got prescribed this. These tablets were the answer to my prayers as it's extremely painful when I have an outbreak in my eyes. I currently have an outbreak and my doctor has me on 400mg five times a day as well as the eye ointment. I've found with this medication the breakouts are less frequent and the symptoms less severe. Also this is free for me as it's cover by medical card which is great. No side effects. For me I would highly recommend zovirax aka adviclor to anyone wanting to treat an outbreak"

ZoviraxQueen February 19, 2018

For Herpes Simplex: "For the last year I've been plagued with severe cold sore/herpes outbreaks around my lips, chin and nose. A never ending cycle of breakout, heal, breakout. After one day of using the cream and Acyclovir the large bump on the side of my lip flattened to the point of not noticing it. Day six and I haven't seen my face look this clear in years. One little teeny whitehead popped up last night below my lip but you can't tell its a herpes sore. It kind of seemed like a final whimper. If I could rate prior breakouts as a 10 for worst case scenario, this little guy would be a 1. And I'd even thank someone for it. One last thing, If you're insured look around for community health centers, call them and ask for a low cost pharmacy to fill your prescription. I've read online the same Zovirax cream prescription goes for $200, and Acyclovir anywhere from $80-200. I paid $100 for both. Do some research!"

Louisa bello February 1, 2018

For Cold Sores: "Great medicine I've never experienced side effects that I'm aware of and took while pregnant."

MissCatLady · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2018

For Herpes Simplex: "I had HSV-2 in my 20s. My doctor gave me a strong prescription of Zyclovair and I think it was for 30 days. I never had an outbreak again. The outbreak that I was seen for, was my first and only one and it was really quite bad. Now I am 49 without a herpes outbreak following the treatment."

Not bad · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 22, 2017

For Herpes Simplex: "I’ve been having cold sores since I was 12 on my lips and face. I tried everything and nothing would work. My doctor prescribed me this when he realized how serious it was. I was getting them sometimes one right after the other one! I’m supposed to take one gram a day, but I found that when I did that I still got them frequently. So I only take it when I feel a tingle , I take about 4 and it never comes out. What sucks is when I don’t get the tingle and I just wake up with a full blow on sore/sores. Overall medicine really helps though! Completely free with my insurance as well!"

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)