User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Zovirax, Sitavig

Acyclovir has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 168 ratings on Drugs.com. 77% of those users who reviewed Acyclovir reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Herpes Simplex
Varicella-Zoster
Summary of Acyclovir reviews 8.2 168 reviews

Reviews for Acyclovir

raglan March 13, 2021

For Cold Sores: “I have taken acyclovir sporadically for the last two years. My blood cell count was low so I was forced to go off it for a number of months after beginning treatment. I resumed taking it two months ago and I must admit it has been very good. Before beginning acyclovir I had only 1-2 obs but almost constant nerve pain in the anal region. It had been like this (undiagnosed despite numerous doctor's visits) for around 17 years. After acyclovir began and then stopped because of blood cell count, it was however infinitely worse. I had permanent obs and permanent nerve pain in the anal region, and now I had permanent nerve pain in my vaginal area. my doctor originally prescribed me 400mg twice a day but I found I need to take it 3 times a day in order to quell the obs. I am hoping that in another 10-24 months it will be cured but I am suspending my belief as yet.”

ExpatThai · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 12, 2021

For Herpes Simplex: “Every few years it occurs, always keep it in reserve because if you are fast enough, a single 800mg can stop it in its tracks, maybe 2 or 3 just to be sure..”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2021

For Herpes Simplex: “I found out on Tuesday that I have herpes went to many doctors before got diagnosed with herpes started itching in 2014 didn't know what it was but can someone give me some advice on how to rid myself of it”

jobo60 November 20, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: “I'm 52 married and thought I had a UTI so my Dr was treating me for that, a year later I found out my husband gave me herpes. I had a small outbreak last year but through it was from my new soap and another out break this year. My husband never had a outbreak but tested positive and decided to share he had an affair. This medicine has been a true blessing to me because I don't have anymore pain or side effects. Now I can concentrate on my divorce.”

Wondergirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I ended up misdiagnosed on several occasions with what felt like a uti and or thrush. After five days of agony and burning fever I knew something was wrong. I had one sore which experts misdiagnosed as a cyst. Finally a GP confirmed my worst fears. An STD in my thirties. I can still count my encounters on one hand but anyone that has sex risk takes the virus and I was just unlucky. I was lucky my partner who was a week into our relationship was so supportive. I take acyclovir as a preventative medication to avoid more breakouts and it works a treat. I get the odd itch but no symtoms. I sometimes feel tired with it and alcohol I have to be careful with. Otherwise I really recommend it for self esteem getting back on your feet and with the whole acceptance aspect. One in six of us have it. This makes it manageable. A vaccine or cure would be better still... But out of all the illnesses and diseases this isn't the worst one.. Count the blessings x”

Healed and happy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 10, 2020

For Herpes Simplex: “I had back to back outbreaks after 8 years of no outbreaks at all. I take two 400mg tablets of aciclovir a day and I have not had an outbreak since. It has honestly saved my life. I forget I even carry the virus (I told my partner when we got together) and we have unprotected sex and have not passed it on (I have never transmitted to a partner) TRY THE MEDS THEY WORK.. thank god”

Itgetsbetter1234 February 26, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I have been taking acyclovair 800mg everyday for about 13 years and I never have outbreaks. I would suggest to everyone to take acyclovair as suppressive therapy rather than waiting to feel the tingle and then treating the virus. I forget it even exists as I never have outbreaks or suffer with any symptoms. If I don't take it, after about 1 week I will start to feel the tingle. Anyways this medicine has helped me live symptom free for many years. I highly suggest anyone suffering to take it as suppressive therapy. It's so much better never even having to deal with that first tingle! And to everyone experiencing an outbreak for the first time, rest assured the first time is the worst. It does get better and easier to manage. I feel for you!!”

lacybern6449 · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2017

For Herpes Simplex: “Good day to every one reading this, I am here to give my testimony about a herbal doctor called dr tokubo who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX virus in 2015, i went to many hospitals for cure and they told me there was no solution for it, so I was thinking how i can get a solution so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution, Along the line a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX virus and gave me his email, so i mail him to order for his herbal medicine. After some series of questions fro”

CharlotteLinnae January 21, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: “I used to get cold sores four or five times a year, sometimes more often (especially when I was dealing with the stress of college). They would appear at the most frustrating times! I tried a bunch of alternative remedies, per the recommendations of friends and family, including L-lysine and tea tree oil. I even found myself putting nail polish remover on my lips (word to the wise: don't do that). Finally, I explained to a doctor how often I was getting outbreaks and how bad they were, and they prescribed 200mg of acyclovir a day as a suppressant. It didn't seem to do anything; the cold sores kept coming. Then, another doctor upped my dose to 400mg twice a day. I didn't get a cold sore for almost five years!”

Anonymous November 16, 2011

For Herpes Simplex: “I had my first out vaginal herpes breakout three days ago, and it was the worst thing to ever go through. First I had a yeast infection, then started my period, then I contracted a UTI then I got treated for both yeast infection and UTI. However I went to the emergency room because I had itching extremely bad then my skin began to crack and then ulcer like open sores were there. It was painful to urinate. So the ER doctor treated me with Acyclovir 800 mg 1 tablet 5 times a day, in two days time all my symptoms were wiped out. The only side effect is that my joints ache which is very unusual for me.”

Candyy March 26, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: “I was prescribed this medication a few months ago and I absolutely love it. Whenever I feel a cold sore coming on, I take three 400mg tablets every 8 hours (the recommended dose by my doctor) and it stops the cold sore right in its tracks. If I'm lucky, I catch the cold sore in the tingling stage and immediently take the pills, and that usually stops the cold sore from breaking out. If I do end up getting a cold sore, I keep using the pills and it Speeds up the process and stops the cold sore from growing any bigger. This medication is amazing and I am so glad to finally have found something that actually works, as I am almost 20 years old and have been suffering from cold sores since age 4.”

niki · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

For Herpes Simplex: “I am 43 I just recently got diagnosed with HSV2 with two previous false negative tests. It sucks not 2 know when and where you got the infection from I've never seen any breakouts on any 1 I've been with but I'm seeing you can contract this even with a condom. I have breakouts in more than 1 place inner labial outer labial which I thought was a ingrown hair infection. Also have a breakout in the anal area but mostly the upper part of the crack which is weird. I hate this. I've been with my bf for 7 yrs he said he had a cold sore before but I don't think he gave it to me by me having 2 false tests. I'm so ashamed as I'd rather have had gonorrhea or chlamydia if I had to suffer from a STD as you can get rid of those. I haven't been able to share this news with my boyfriend as I'm afraid how he may react, he has really tripping about this COVID virus . But I may have had this 4 awhile and luckily I've never transmitted it and this is my first time with an actual blisters.”

Winnie the pooh · Taken for 10 years or more November 14, 2020

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I don't know how I got infected with genital herpes - I was with someone who didn't have it so can only assume it had laid dormant for a number of years when someone else had given it to me. The first outbreak was 10 years ago, but was just an itchy spot in my pubic area close to my panty line. The second outbreak came a month or so later and was just a couple of blisters. When I was diagnosed, my whole world collapsed. I was in therapy for 2 years, it really hit me hard. I've taken acyclovir twice a day since then. I haven't had an outbreak but some days I still get the tingling and ache around my pubic area. On those days, I get very low and upset. I may try a different drug.”

Liz730222 January 21, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: “I've experienced cold sores ever since i was 13 years old, but being a college student now and constantly stressed out ive been getting them more frequently. I tried everything from abreva, all the house remedies, and ointments, but none of them worked. So i got prescribed to the 400mg dose and these pills do wonders! I felt the bump yesterday and the first stage of the blister had started and i took the dosage i was prescribed and woke up today with the bump the same size. So i took another one and within two hours it was completely gone. I am so happy to have found something that finally works”

mlj27 June 21, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: “I started getting cold sores about 2 years ago. I have tried everything...rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, nail polish remover, L-Lysine, bactine, abreva, ice, biotin...you name it and I've tried it. Nothing worked for me. Finally I sucked it up and went to a doctor about it and was prescribed acylvoir. I don't get any kind of tingle, so at the very first sign of a bump, I take 2 400mg pills, and then about 2 hours later I take 2 more. Within hours the bump is gone. This drug is a miracle!”

DentalGuru89 June 27, 2019

For Herpes Simplex: “I am a 30 yr old woman and I recently became diagnosed with genital herpes a few days. I started seeing a guy that didn't know he's infected with it. We had sex one of the times without a condom and BOOM here I am. I started having a burning while peeing a few days later, vaginal irritation, stomach cramping ect. I was given a RX for an UTI. 3 days later, I broke out in a few painful little bumps, and the burning in my urination got worse. Then I got a fever. I went to the ER and the doctor diagnosed me genital herpes. Luckily it's a small localized area she said, and gave me Acyclovir 400 MG to take 3x a day. I'm on the 3rd day and it's a huge difference. The site is healing, it's not burning when I urinate, no more fever, and a lot less discharge. I've gotten some side effects of being very drowsy and tired, and tingling random places. The only thing I hate is the drowsiness. I've been fighting to stay awake at work the past 2 days of it really kicking in.”

Unavailablee January 9, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: “I have been plagued by cold sores since I was 14 years old and have struggled at finding any effective medication, including Abreva. A year ago I could feel an outbreak coming and did some research online and found acyclovir. I read the reviews and figured I'd try it. Within 24 hours my forming cold sore stopped and began to heal and shrink, within 3 days it was almost non existent. Yesterday I woke up and realized over night with no notice a huge sore had formed and the virus was on full unrestricted attack. Went out, got Acyclovir and again, within 24hours what was bound to be a huge long drawn out cold sore had stopped, shrunk and began healing. Acyclovir with Abreva has proved to be a miracle. TRY IT! P.S No side effects for me.”

Ballerina · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 19, 2020

For Herpes Simplex: “I was getting many cold sores every year. I would take Acyclovir as soon as the numbness started. It never shortened the duration; never had any effect on the pain. The cold sores just kept getting worse. The doctor finally put me on a stronger anti-viral. It did nothing either. I only got headaches from the anti-virals. I finally decided to try vitamin D. I haven't had a cold sore in at least 2 years.”

HAPPY! · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 10, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “First out break of HSV2 at 18, then I had NO symptoms at all for 8 YEARS! Then got back to back out breakouts at 26 years old for 3 months. Started taking aciclovir 400mg twice a day as suppressive therapy and have had NO symptoms since, for three months. Side effects minimal. My advice is just try it because it has saved me :) x”

DeezBurningNuttz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: “I got diagnosed with genital herpes last year around september and I got prescribed acyclovir and the initial outbreak was HELL! I was in so much pain with teeny tiny barely visible blisters around private area. But anyways, I started taking the pills, 3 a day and after a couple of days, the outbreak cleared up completely. I feel tingling around my bits like every month, when my period comes on and take the pills and the tingling goes away with a small blister barely noticeable. The pills don't cure the outbreaks but they do make them bare able and waaaaaaay less annoying. Sometimes you'll forget completely about it.”

anonmmmm March 4, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: “I was diagnosed with HSV-2 five years ago. I had hardly any symptoms until now. I was not in a sexual relationship but this week I had sex after my menstrual cycle. I had my first outbreak, it was horrible. I felt so depressed. I had all kinds of blisters in private places. Very very painful, it was hard to walk, sit sleep, go to the bathroom. I searched the web for treatment. First I tried tea tree oil, that was too harsh down there. Then I took 6,000 mg of Lysine, that did not help at all. Took 3,000 mg vitamin C, nothing. I felt that white vinegar helped a bit and cornstarch was soothing. I took 2 Epsom salt baths a day and that was soothing also. The only thing that helped was Acyclovir all symptoms went away right away.”

MissCatLady · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2018

For Herpes Simplex: “I had HSV-2 in my 20s. My doctor gave me a strong prescription of Zyclovair and I think it was for 30 days. I never had an outbreak again. The outbreak that I was seen for, was my first and only one and it was really quite bad. Now I am 49 without a herpes outbreak following the treatment.”

Jare · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2014

For Herpes Simplex: “I took acyclovir 400mg 5 times a day 4 hours after tingling. Completely gone in 2 days. But what is weird is it worked only one time, it never worked again. I have had ten more since the first time it worked. I did try it again on a few separate outbreaks it never even slowed it down.”

DoeGirl77 · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: “A year and a half ago, my BF went to New Mexico. While he was there, he contracted HSV-2. When he came back, he was honest about having the virus. I never saw an outbreak on him, so I thought he was paranoid. Last weekend, I noticed that I had burning after intercourse. By Monday, I was sure I had an outbreak. It burned when I urinated and felt like the bottom of my vagina was on fire. Tuesday I went to the dr and she said it looked like Herpes. I'm 39 years old. She prescribed acyclovir 400mg 3x. This is my first day. So far the burning is persistent and the itchiness is driving me insane. Any ideas???”

AprilLou November 13, 2014

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Love this medication has almost completely stopped all outbreaks, was having them about six to eight times a year mostly brought on by stress or my period, now taking acyclovir I'm outbreak free no side effects noticed.”

Occasional · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2013

For Herpes Simplex: “I woke up early in the morning and felt the tingle of a new cold sore. I went to the doc and got a prescription within the hour and took my first 400 mg pill of acyclovir. I used Abreva right when I felt it and a few times that night. I took 3 pills over the course of the first day. When I woke up the next morning the bump had not gotten bigger but had not gotten smaller either. It was hardly noticeable I should add. I took 3 more pills over the course of the second day and the bump has not grown any bigger. I woke up the 3rd morning and it has shrunk in size. I encourage everyone to get a large stock of acyclovir and take it IMMEDIATELY when the tingle is felt. Even if it is just maybe a cold sore. It is totally worth it.”

Southern Girl January 15, 2011

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I have had herpes for 30 years, had no outbreak for the last SIX years then suddenly I went through a very stressful period and bang. I immediately started suppressive therapy and will never stop again. My only fear is passing this along and am told that the suppressive therapy highly reduces the shedding thereby preventing transmission.”

Sadbuthopeful11 · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

For Herpes Simplex: “I became very irritated down there to the point it hurt to go to the bathroom I schedule an appointment for the doctor and they told me I had a yeast infection I then noticed bumps down there and they tested for HSV2 (herpes simplex 2) came back positive. Currently day 3 of acyclovir and I am so happy to almost be back to myself. The pain I went through was unbearable... had to call out of work several times because I could barely walk. We will see how this medicine works for me overtime”