User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Sitavig, Zovirax

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Mononucleosis 3 reviews 0 medications

Herpes Simplex 59 reviews 7 medications

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Acyclovir reviews 107 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Acyclovir

For Cold Sores: "Forget the "take two pills when you first feel the tingle" crap you hear from the doc. I nuke it with about 800mg tablets right away then another 800 every 4 hours or so for at least another 24 hours. The key is to bombard the virus before it has much of a chance to form vesicles, which is what ends up making these things ugly. There of course is a chance for side effects with this large of a dose but you need it as the bioavailability of acyclovir is about a third of valacyclovir (valtrex). Taking these things for an active cold sore any more than about 36 hours from onset of symptoms is pretty much a waste of time - put your efforts (and pills) into that time frame and you will be very happy with the results."

Luke Skywalker July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex: "I'm 48 and I was diagnosed with genital herpes when I was 35. I started dating a new guy and within 2 weeks I felt horrible burning when I urinated. I went to my midwives and sure enough I had herpes. Funny thing is I wasn't with anyone prior to him and I was with him for 6 years and not once did he ever test positive. They actually claim I could have had it on my face touched it and touched my genitals without washing my hands and transferred it. The outbreaks are less and less over the years but when I feel one coming I take acyclovir 500mg 2x daily. It helps right away. And I use a squirt bottle with warm water as I urinated to help reduce the burning."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex: "Good day to every one reading this, I am here to give my testimony about a herbal doctor called dr tokubo who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX virus in 2015, i went to many hospitals for cure and they told me there was no solution for it, so I was thinking how i can get a solution so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution, Along the line a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX virus and gave me his email, so i mail him to order for his herbal medicine. After some series of questions fro"

lacybern6449 (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have found that acyclovir works better for me when I take pine cone extract. I believe this extract works as an adjuvant, increases the potency of this antiviral drug. I have been using this combination for several years and have had only two outbreaks in 3 years apposed to 3-4 a year when only using acyclovir 400 mg daily. This makes me believe that the extract is working. Research suggests that certain compounds found in pine cone extract increases specific Dendritic immune cells."

Sequentially (taken for 10 years or more) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "It gave me prostate issues and erection problems. I never had a breakout. The trade off wasn't worth it."

Robo obo May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex: "I found out I contracted genital herpes from an ex boyfriend about 5 years ago. It initially felt like a cut on my vagina that itched and burned. Went to Dr next day and sure enough- herpes (ugh). I take the medicine as needed and it works like a charm. If I do feel one coming I take 400mg three day for about 4-5 days. Clears right up. I also used to get cold sore a few times a year- haven't since taking this medicine. It's AMAZING. Just wish I never had to find out about it."

HSVSucks (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex: "At 29 weeks pregnant I had a fever. Thought I was leaking amniotic fluid. Went to the hospital and misdiagnosed with a UTI. Stayed overnight with IVF and antibiotics and checked, monitored and ultrasound before discharged the following day. 24 hours later still not having felt well went back to the hospital and rechecked, water broke dilated to 2 and Dr said she didn't think of it before, but was going to test and treat me for Genital Herpes. Right after the emergency c section. "

InfectedBabyMama April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex: "About 5 days ago I realized a cut, I thought I had cut myself while shaving... it then got very uncomfortable and burned while I urinated. Finally, I took my camera down there and wanted to look... I noticed a few more cuts that look like canker sores so I made an appointment right away. She told me it looked like genital herpes. She gave my the cream and the pills. It's only been a day and it doesn't feel like it's working. I know it's soon. But I still feel like I'm on fire, I'm itchy, and it still burns like crazy. Is there anything else I can do?"

Anonymous2733!! March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have found this drug to be very effective in controlling my IBS/ inflammatory bowel disease. Clearly it's possible herpes has a role to play in these conditions."

Ogyris March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex: "This is the only thing that works for myself stress induced break outs (college). I use both the pills and the cream. I believe when I first started using acyclovir it was more effective and now it can take a good 4-5 days to fully heal. This is nothing in comparison to a cold sore that lasted a month without the meds though! 400mg. Free with my healthcare for the pills, the cream was $25."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I started using acyclovir, 2 months ago. I had 9 separate mouth and tongue ulcers, and anal herpes at that time. Presently, I have no anal issues. But, I have two ulcers that just won't go away completely. What I believe to be hsv2 colitis, that was diagnosed as plain ulcerative colitis has improved, after having an acute flare up that has lasted several months."

Noni9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "I felt a fever blister (cold sore) coming on so I began 400 mg of acyclovir 3 times a day . After the second day I experienced a headache that was very uncomfortable. My early cold sore did not progress into an unsightly and painful sore. I am treating the headache with 500 mg Tylenol once a day ."

Richy C January 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex: "I got oral herpes on my face when I was in the orange in russia. I've had it seen I was younger. I'm 22 now and deal with this. I hate it. But the medication is very effective for me. I'm currently between doctors and ran our of my pills :(.. and I have a flare up. To much stress lately. I don't know how it feels to have genital herpes but I can tell you having it on my cheeks burns like crazy. Ugh..this cream isn't doing anything either."

Jeepgirl22 December 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex: "Since early childhood I've gotten painful and gross cold sores. Just awful. In my nose sometimes, down my chin...yuck. I hate this virus. I tried all the wacky home remedies...yeah that battery powered silvery piece of rubbish I figured I'd just be Quasimoto every 3 or 4 months and just deal with it. :( Until Acyclovir 800. What IS this stuff?!?! It's magic, that's what it is. YMMV, I personally have to take 4 at first tingle to stop it "cold." It never gets red, never gets to blister. Certainly not that fun cracked, bleeding horror show round about day 6 without this stuff. So to make a long story longer, get Acyclovir 800. An interesting side effect is that I also have fewer, and less severe outbreaks. Thanks for reading,"

Stillenduringthemat50 (taken for 10 years or more) December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "Was given this medication for cold sores which had gone down into my throat thanks to having a weak immune system from Lupus. This needs to be tested on viral bronchitis. I had a cold sore starting as the symptoms of viral bronchitis started so began taking the med yesterday (day 5 of cold) and took my first dose right at 24 hours ago. Im still very tired and feel a little feverish but my nose and chest are 90% better. My mom has had this cold/virus for 14 days and still fighting it, I have lupus so every cold takes me weeks to overcome. Im sure the med is helping with my cold."

MercysMom99221 December 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I am a Derm nurse. I used the coupon, got mine free plus got samples from office. If you use it at first sign of a flare it's great. It is kind of messy and I had white medicine on my teeth. 1 pill better than taking Valtrex up to 5 days."

Mxyla November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex: "A year and a half ago, my BF went to New Mexico. While he was there, he contracted HSV-2. When he came back, he was honest about having the virus. I never saw an outbreak on him, so I thought he was paranoid. Last weekend, I noticed that I had burning after intercourse. By Monday, I was sure I had an outbreak. It burned when I urinated and felt like the bottom of my vagina was on fire. Tuesday I went to the dr and she said it looked like Herpes. I'm 39 years old. She prescribed acyclovir 400mg 3x. This is my first day. So far the burning is persistent and the itchiness is driving me insane. Any ideas???"

DoeGirl77 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Mononucleosis: "This drug literally saved my life. I had a "low replication" chronic epstein barr virus infection for years without knowing it. This led to a very debilitating case of CFS for me. After 2 years I got to the point where I was so weak that I would go to sleep feeling like I might not ever wake up again. Then, I found a naturopath who put me on Acyclovir. The first two weeks were tough because it caused a severe herx reaction, but I have been on it for 8 months now, and I feel like a living energetic person again. This little pill literally saved me when countless doctors couldn't. If you would like to read about treatment for CFS with this drug: google valacyclovir and chronic fatigue"

Kkww September 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was diagnosed with genital herpes 30 years ago. My ex-husband gave it to me knowing he had it. He was having active sores but didn't tell me. I found out after my doctor did a test years later. At the time the only thing available was an ointment. It helped but I was having outbreaks about every 6 weeks & miserable. I was not sexually active during my outbreaks & only had one partner who knew. He did not get it. Generic acyclovir pills became available at a price I could afford, I started taking 400 mgs twice a day. I've been on it for 8 years &!have not had one outbreak. It's been great & I don't have side effects. I have MS which is an autoimmune disease. It may be why I had such severe outbreaks. I'm not ever going to stop taking it."

Josie Lynn (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I have had about four cold sores a year throughout my teens and through my twenties. My dentist had a Sitavig poster in his office and gave me a prescription when I asked about it. I got a cold sore over 4th of July while at the beach and quickly applied Sitavig. I didn't have any issues with tablet in my gum and was still able to eat and drink throughout the day. Best part was I didn't get a blister and haven't had one since. Copay for two tablets was $35 which I thought was fair for two treatments."

Greg1245 September 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I'm 32 years old and I first got outbreaks when I was about 13 or so. I would get them maybe once every year or so on my lip. They started getting more frequent, and I ended up getting outbreaks around my nostril too. Over the last few years they got very frequent, about every other month. I've tried lysine ointments, home remedies, nutritional supplements, Abreeva, but none prevent outbreaks. Then in Dec 2015 I had a horrible outbreak. The size of a quarter! I had enough. I read up on treatments and my doctor prescribed the Acyclovir suppressive therapy. I only take one 400mg tablet a day. It's August and I haven't had an outbreak since Dec! It's cheap, about $8 and change. I have no side effects at all. I am so happy I found this!"

GG Grey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex: "Can anybody tell me how to deal with a red, swollen eye with blurred vision 5 days after stopping using Zovirax eye ointment. Could anybody also tell me how to stop falling asleep while taking aciclovir tablets. I find this drug debilitating and will go to see an optician about my virus."

leachbutton1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax (acyclovir) for Herpes Simplex: "I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I am on immunosuppressants so my body just can't fight this virus on its own. After 5 days I went to my doctor. This medication was amazing- within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I am on 400 mg 3 x daily for 10 days. I am currently on day 6. For the first few days I would feel lightheaded (not dizzy) for a few hours after each dose, but that has gone away now. No nausea when taken with food. I did have a few mild headaches, but that was because I was not drinking enough fluid. As soon as I hydrated, headaches were gone. My doctor gave me 2 refills so next time I feel the onset I can start treatment right aw"

Krreno (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I get cold sores about every other month. I went to my Dermatologist and she gave a prescription for Sitavig. It sticks on your gum which is weird and takes getting used to, but she told me it is supposed to make you have fewer outbreaks. Sure enough, I went 5 months before my next one. When I saw her next I did complain that it took long time to dissolve. She said that was part of what made it work so well. Not sure how, but I will never go back to using my valtrex."

Nick1983 July 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "I've suffered with cold sores since I was about 6 years old, I am now 18 and when I was going through my final year of high school I had at least 1 cold sore a month because of the stress of things so I was prescribed acyclovir. I was told to take 2 a day for 3 months and then take a break and it dramatically improved my cold sores. They barely appeared but when they did they were half as big as usual and they healed within about 4 days. Now I only take acyclovir when I feel a cold sore coming on and it is honestly the best thing that I have used to help."

Bunny321 July 11, 2016