User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Sitavig, Zovirax

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Mononucleosis 2 reviews 0 medications

8.2
Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Acyclovir reviews 87 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Acyclovir

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I'm 32 years old and I first got outbreaks when I was about 13 or so. I would get them maybe once every year or so on my lip. They started getting more frequent, and I ended up getting outbreaks around my nostril too. Over the last few years they got very frequent, about every other month. I've tried lysine ointments, home remedies, nutritional supplements, Abreeva, but none prevent outbreaks. Then in Dec 2015 I had a horrible outbreak. The size of a quarter! I had enough. I read up on treatments and my doctor prescribed the Acyclovir suppressive therapy. I only take one 400mg tablet a day. It's August and I haven't had an outbreak since Dec! It's cheap, about $8 and change. I have no side effects at all. I am so happy I found this!"

GG Grey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "Can anybody tell me how to deal with a red, swollen eye with blurred vision 5 days after stopping using Zovirax eye ointment. Could anybody also tell me how to stop falling asleep while taking aciclovir tablets. I find this drug debilitating and will go to see an optician about my virus."

leachbutton1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

Zovirax (acyclovir) for Herpes Simplex: "I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I am on immunosuppressants so my body just can't fight this virus on its own. After 5 days I went to my doctor. This medication was amazing- within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I am on 400 mg 3 x daily for 10 days. I am currently on day 6. For the first few days I would feel lightheaded (not dizzy) for a few hours after each dose, but that has gone away now. No nausea when taken with food. I did have a few mild headaches, but that was because I was not drinking enough fluid. As soon as I hydrated, headaches were gone. My doctor gave me 2 refills so next time I feel the onset I can start treatment right aw"

Krreno (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I get cold sores about every other month. I went to my Dermatologist and she gave a prescription for Sitavig. It sticks on your gum which is weird and takes getting used to, but she told me it is supposed to make you have fewer outbreaks. Sure enough, I went 5 months before my next one. When I saw her next I did complain that it took long time to dissolve. She said that was part of what made it work so well. Not sure how, but I will never go back to using my valtrex."

Nick1983 July 14, 2016

For Cold Sores: "I've suffered with cold sores since I was about 6 years old, I am now 18 and when I was going through my final year of high school I had at least 1 cold sore a month because of the stress of things so I was prescribed acyclovir. I was told to take 2 a day for 3 months and then take a break and it dramatically improved my cold sores. They barely appeared but when they did they were half as big as usual and they healed within about 4 days. Now I only take acyclovir when I feel a cold sore coming on and it is honestly the best thing that I have used to help."

Bunny321 July 11, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "This stuff works great. I had my initial outbreak last year and thankfully had no pain, just itchiness. Got the sores and went to the doc- 800mg 3 times a day for 10 days. Within three days, maybe even two, they completely shrank and i could barely see them. By the 5th day completely gone. Few days ago 3 bumps appeared and I got another RX. On the third day and it is completely gone. Maybe some gastrointestinal discomfort as a side effect but that might have been to my crappy diet the last few days too :)"

HSVSucks99 July 1, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "I'm 57 and got herpes 35 years ago when I was cheating on my wife. I find that the meds work in 3 days if you take it at the very first sign."

Roger N June 21, 2016

For Cold Sores: "Tried this for CS outbreak. I'll keep it simple and to the point Pros: -Works a lot better than any OTC (throw that junk out waste of $) -Cheap...compared to other drugs -Fast acting ...even if caught later will still work -Can stop/reduce symptoms -Convenient vs any cream -Side affects nothing like Famvir Cons: -Not as good as Famvir(holy grail to knockout cold sores) -It appears you need to double the dose to really get an affect -Maybe slight headache -You need to take a lot, its not just 3 pills and done... -no advancement in this drug and its been around for how long?? -Did get a second outbreak while taking...but cleared up quick."

RGate June 16, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "Unfortunately my ex-boyfriend intentionally & knowingly gave me Herpes. The first breakout was horrible, I had to go to the Emergency room. They prescribed me Acyclovir 400 mg 4x daily. It definitely works and it works fast. I had no side effects at all. I always keep it on me and I am to take 200mg 5x daily if I start to have another breakout."

lexus985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "I suddenly keep getn these horrible cold sores like I was slit with a razor outside in like half inch splits that sting so bad n a couple times I've gotten a single sore down unda that hurts n is red. I go as long as I can bare it n sometimes it goes away on its own quickly but wen It doesn't I take one of my sisters acyclovir's a day n 9times outa 10 it goes away within a few days. I now take lysine with my daily vitamins. U cant just take vitamins wen u need em u gota take em daily so wen u get sick or watever they've already built up in ur system. I skipped a few days last week n i already got 2cold sores. Abreva only works if u use it at the 1st sign of a cold sore, once the sores there it will not work n that's a big waist of money"

cold sore queen (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "Ive been diagnosed with this about 2 maybe 3 weeks ago ...my boyfriend gave it to me i found out when he had a breakout....the night before we had sex so we both went to the er to find out whats wrong ....I have not had a break out was on the 5 pill a day thing but my body couldnt handle it so the doctor put me on the pill i time a day ....idk whats going on but now I cant pee ive been trying to pee for 14 hours...ut feels like I have to go then when I sit on the toilet nothing but a few drops come out"

Leah211 (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I have used this product for a year. The biggest problem with this medication is finding a pharmacy that can get it. I have only had to order it twice. The first time was from one big pharmacy. When I went to get it refilled, they couldn't get it. I then found a local small town pharmacy. I was able to order it one time, tried to re-order it and they can no longer get it. I WILL find another place to buy it. This is the only thing that I can honestly say works. I have had 4 flare ups in a year. Only one time did it not take it away within a few hours. And, that is because I didn't catch it soon enough. It does work better when you use it as soon as you feel a cold sore coming on. I highly recommend this pill if you can get it. Use the coupon."

Bobbiejd March 7, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "I was diagnosed with HSV-2 five years ago. I had hardly any symptoms until now. I was not in a sexual relationship but this week I had sex after my menstrual cycle. I had my first outbreak, it was horrible. I felt so depressed. I had all kinds of blisters in private places. Very very painful, it was hard to walk, sit sleep, go to the bathroom. I searched the web for treatment. First I tried tea tree oil, that was too harsh down there. Then I took 6,000 mg of Lysine, that did not help at all. Took 3,000 mg vitamin C, nothing. I felt that white vinegar helped a bit and cornstarch was soothing. I took 2 Epsom salt baths a day and that was soothing also. The only thing that helped was Acyclovir all symptoms went away right away."

anonmmmm March 4, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have been taking acyclovair 800mg everyday for about 13 years and I never have outbreaks. I would suggest to everyone to take acyclovair as suppressive therapy rather than waiting to feel the tingle and then treating the virus. I forget it even exists as I never have outbreaks or suffer with any symptoms. If I don't take it, after about 1 week I will start to feel the tingle. Anyways this medicine has helped me live symptom free for many years. I highly suggest anyone suffering to take it as suppressive therapy. It's so much better never even having to deal with that first tingle! And to everyone experiencing an outbreak for the first time, rest assured the first time is the worst. It does get better and easier to manage. I feel for you!!"

Itgetsbetter1234 February 26, 2016

For Cold Sores: "Skip the Abreva and ask your doctor to prescribe a bottle of this stuff instead. It's the only thing that really works. I rarely get BAD cold sores, but I just got hit with a really terrible one. Came on so fast I barely had time to take this pill in time. I've read that Acyclovir only works if you haven't blistered yet, which had already happened. IT STILL WORKED PRETTY WELL. It definitely changed how the cold sore is healing. It went straight from "puffing" up into a blister, to scabbing over. It also seems to be reducing the redness and swelling. I'm taking it 3x daily in conjunction with L-Lysine, and occasionally dabbing the cold sore with alcohol to dry it up. Overall, really happy with this medication."

Emma Ann February 26, 2016

Sitavig (acyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I took it to the pharmacy and I was told it was going to be $400. I called my dermatologist and they told me to use the rebate card and it should be $35. I went back to the pharmacy and sure enough after I insisted what the cost should be I got two tablets for $35. I have not had a cold sore in six months which is unusual because I usually get one every 2 to 3 months."

Brad1992 February 26, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been taking generic (cheap) acyclovir for 52 years. I am 67 and contracted the herpes simplex while out in the sun at age 15. Consequently, I have not been sunbathing for 52 years and look like I am 50. There have been no side effects and I take this every day--800 mg. When I stop, I get an outbreak. Tried to go off it last year and had 5 outbreaks in 4 months. So now back on. Take it the minute I feel a tingle, 5 a day for 5 days and no problems. But still wear 70 sunscreen."

suporto February 19, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "I have been on Acyclovir for 3 days following a first outbreak of genital herpes - having never suffered with anxiety or depression, I've been crying about an hour after taking each pill. Feeling anxious, depressed , sweating, abdominal pain, short-tempered and very nauseous. Mood swings aren't in the side effects but they should be, as countless other people on similar forums have experienced the same."

katdef124 January 13, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "I have breakouts on my nose, I used to dance and thought it would be cute to bend down, while on stage and brush there nose with mine. That turned out not so good, I wish I wasn't so nieve. I've been living with them for about 6 years and when they came out with sitavig, that's really good. I only breakout about every 2 years, when stressed or if it's really hot."

Somebody that has it January 13, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "I am 19 years old and I just got diagnosed this 2 days ago. Someone took advantage because I was drunk he began stroking and I jumped up about 2 minutes into it. He was a creep all the way around but that's the only person I've could've got it from and I'm positive about that. Now I can't get in contact with the boy and my life is torn apart. I honestly so upset about this because this pain is so unbearable it hurts, burns, and itches to stand up, sit down, walk, etc. when I urine it burns super bad, and I am in misery. I can't deal with this for the rest of my life. I haven't even been showering because it burns so bad. I just started the meds 400 mg/8 hrs no progress yet though. Any suggestions???"

Tamekiaa (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was diagnosed almost 2 and a half years ago and have been taking daily suppression since. This medicine works like a charm. I haven't had any full on outbreaks since taking it, and sometimes I would even forget to take it for a few days with no issue. There have been a couple of instances where I felt one coming on, but that only ever happened during the "few days I didn't take it". When that happened, I would just double up on the dosage until I didn't feel it anymore. The only reason I give it a 9 is because you have to take it twice daily, whereas for Valacyclovir, you only need it once daily. However, valocyclovir is a lot more expensive, and taking acyclovir twice daily will do the same thing. Just have to remember to take them!"

kayjay123 January 5, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "This drug has helped keep outbreaks to a minimum. I rarely, if ever suffer with this horrible disease anymore. I'm 68, and had my first outbreak at age 28. At first I only took the medicine when I noticed the first signs of an outbreak. For me, that was a pain in my upper leg, like I had pulled a muscle. It worked ok, but didn't completely keep the outbreak from happening. For more than 20 years now, I've been taking 400MG's 2 times a day. Good effective medicine? Perhaps. It could also mean that when I was younger there was more sexual activity and more stress = more outbreaks."

2xday (taken for 10 years or more) December 6, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I love this medication. I've always used abreva but decided to get a prescription because abreva took forever to kick in. I recently had an outbreak because of stress at work. It started with one blister. I put the ointment and it went away in 24 hours with a minimal scab. I then had another outbreak 2 days after. This one also went away immediately with a minimal scab. The same weekend I got a bad outbreak where my lip swole up as well. I applied the ointment at night. The next day by 6pm the swelling was gone and the blisters became a tiny scab. I LOVE this ointment."

SmileA December 1, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "complete waste of time to take this stuff. doesnt do anything"

bullinski November 24, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: "I'm 52 married and thought I had a UTI so my Dr was treating me for that, a year later I found out my husband gave me herpes. I had a small outbreak last year but through it was from my new soap and another out break this year. My husband never had a outbreak but tested positive and decided to share he had an affair. This medicine has been a true blessing to me because I don't have anymore pain or side effects. Now I can concentrate on my divorce."

jobo60 November 20, 2015