User Reviews for Benzocaine topical

Also known as: Orajel, Dermoplast, Anbesol, Hurricaine, Topical Anesthetic Dental Gel, Cepacol Ultra, Benzodent, Lanacane, Americaine, Bicozene, Americaine Hemorrhoidal, Skeeter Stik, Orabase, Chloraseptic Sore Throat Relief Strips, Cepacol Sensations Warming, Cepacol Sore Throat & Coating, Sting Relief, Cepacol Fizzlers, Cepacol Dual Relief Sore Throat, Kank-a, Cepacol Sensations Hydra, BeeGentle, OraMagic Plus, Opahl, Precaine B, Denti-Care Denti-Freeze, Benzo-Jel, Super Dent Topical Anesthetic Gel, Dent-O-Kain, Anacaine, Laryngesic, Americaine Anesthetic Lubricant, Ora film, Chiggerex, Numzident, Num-Zit, Medicone, Orajel Baby, Detane, Foille Plus, Gelato Topical Anesthetic Gel, Outgro Pain Relief, Solarcaine First Aid Medicated Spray, Babee Teething Lotion, Chigger-Tox Zilactin-B Anbesol Cold Sore Retre-Gel Boil Ease Pain Relieving Anbesol Baby Topex Benz-O-Sthetic Orajel Denture Plus Caine Tips Oral Pain Relief Orajel Overnight Cold Sore Patch …show all brand names

Benzocaine topical has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 30 ratings on Drugs.com. 57% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 23% reported a negative experience.

Oral and Dental Conditions
Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis
Summary of Benzocaine topical reviews 6.8 30 reviews

Reviews for Benzocaine topical

trudimiller333 · January 18, 2011

Retre-Gel (benzocaine) for Cold Sores: “I have tried all kinds of treatments for my cold sores. None seem to help, until I found Retre gel. This product is great! It stops the growth of the lesion from the start. The benzocaine helps to numb the area, which helps to keep your fingers and tongue away from the sore. I love this product and will tell others about it and I'll use it always.”

Jam · Taken for less than 1 month · January 1, 2019

Orajel (benzocaine) for Oral and Dental Conditions: “Bought this medicine after reading about it. Tried it on the areas needed but it took forty five minutes before it took effect. I've only done this twice today after buying it but have now noticed a rash on my cheeks and around my mouth. Will not be using anytime soon and will be returning it back to HEB for complete refund!”

Country · Taken for less than 1 month · September 1, 2021

Chiggerex (benzocaine) for Insect Bites: “Excellent relief from chiggers. No side effects. Family ages 50-75. No more daily usage than 4 times for 1 week. Purchased in small quantity as not much is needed. Followed directions, especially hand washing after use.”

momOf4 · August 19, 2020

Orajel (benzocaine) for Oral and Dental Conditions: “I used orajel after I needed to have a tooth pulled and had to use it along my entire bottom gum. It numbed the area very quickly, but it went away just as fast. It lasted maybe two minutes. I would not recommend the product to anyone.”

Samd1983 · Taken for less than 1 month · March 30, 2018

Orajel (benzocaine) for Oral and Dental Conditions: “I had a tooth ache after a deep filling I figured it was from a high bite but orajel didn't seem to ease it much but the new orajel toothache mouth wash did take pain away. I did swish it about 5 times a day but it did help 60%.”

Glymmer · Taken for less than 1 month · March 13, 2020

Kank-a (benzocaine) for Oral and Dental Conditions: “I have a bad toothache and have tried almost every mouth numbing medicine on the market. Kanka works the best out of any I've tried and the kind that comes in the bottle lasts the longest. (Though it burns at first and can be sticky and messy), I recommend for any mouth or tooth pain .”

GuyH · March 15, 2009

Lanacane (benzocaine) for Pruritus: “I am diabetic and have itches over several parts of the body. I discovered Lanacane by accident and it works wonders for me. The problem with Lanacane is that body heat makes it melt and it runs off on the bed, in the clothing, etc, therefore the duration on the skin is reduced. Also, I have discovered that with repeated use, the skin became red. I am now applying a generous layer of body powder (talc) over Lanacane. This prevents Lanacane from melting and running off the skin. The duration is about tripled, and there is no more irritated, red skin. The more powder you apply the better. You end up looking like fried chicken but you will feel much much better.”

Java-Jave · June 20, 2015

Topical Anesthetic Dental Gel (benzocaine) for Oral and Dental Conditions: “This product was used by my dentist in the office. Immediately, the excessive amount of gel started running down the back of my throat. I was nauseated, vomited later, my throat was numb, I had profuse increase in saliva, coughing, then wheezing and began to break out in hives. I found a 25 mg Benadryl, took it, drank several cups of water and eventually the symptoms improved.”

Gran75 · January 23, 2017

For Oral and Dental Conditions: “My dentist used Benzocaine gel/ointment to numb my gum prior to dental filling. Within half an hour, my tongue, cheek,gum,lip, complete side of face had swollen to painful gigantic proportions. I had to attend hospital as an emergency arranged by dentist , to see a max.facial consultant who had to prescribe an anti-histamine. The swelling took well over a week to gradually subside to normal, but completely ruined my 65th family birthday party, a few days after, as I could barely speak and could have no photos taken !!! I now check every medical spray or ointment/cream to ensure I am not using this chemical......”

hgram · February 12, 2013

Lanacane (benzocaine) for Pain: “Peripheral Neuropathy : Used Lanacane on area of leg and several toes during the day for relief over and above four pain medications I take. In spring of 2012 I developed a low red blood count (5) and needed transfusion. After many tests including bone biopsy was diagnosed with MDS and set up for Procrit . I had 1 injection and started researching my disease & quickly discovered info on benzocaine. I stopped using immediately & have had normal tests since then. I lay no blame on anyone but myself because this cream is meant for temporary use only and I used it for probably 5 or 6 yrs. Thank you for your interest. I am a 74 yr female.”

AV · Taken for less than 1 month · April 26, 2021

Chiggerex (benzocaine) for Insect Bites: “I bought this and was hopeful it would work, I get mosquito bites that swell and itch so badly and stay "active" for several weeks. I immediately take benadryl (orally) but the itching can still be intense. The chiggerex cream was one of my last hopes, but it only brought temporary relief as I was rubbing it on. It has small grains in it which helps with the itching WHILE YOU ARE USING IT. When you stop rubbing the grainy liquidy cream in , the itching comes back. I would say it is a "5" along with the majority of mosquito itch ointments on the market today.”

L · Taken for less than 1 month · March 4, 2021

Orajel (benzocaine) for Aphthous Ulcer: “I had a sore on the inner part of my bottom lip, and of course right where my retainer likes to rub. I only need to wear my retainer at night so Orajel was a huge help numbing and reducing the swelling so that I could wear my retainer and fall asleep. Definite life saver.”

dollylee · April 17, 2008

Solarcaine First Aid Medicated Spray (benzocaine) for Burns, External: “I had a third degree sunburn once and used this - it's the best for a sunburn. I couldn't even wear clothes. This was a life saver. It helped me to get back to normal quickly and to tolerate the pain. I am really careful as to not get sunburnt now but I keep Solarcaine on hand.”

WindyCityBri23 · September 6, 2017

For Oral and Dental Conditions: “I purchased the topical cream to help with pain from a canker sore in my mouth. I applied the medication myself, putting the tube over the affected area. I didn't see how much came out, so I could've given myself too much. But, immediately, I started dealing with an increase in saliva that became uncomfortable and made it hard to sleep. I tried to rinse my mouth with water multiple times, but it left my throat feeling clogged up with saliva. Even now, after several hours sleep, the symptoms persist, leaving an uncomfortable feeling in my mouth. I'm just hoping I didn't swallow too much and cause any damage. My recommendation: use very very small amounts, or not at all.”

Waifu · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 9, 2017

Lanacane (benzocaine) for Pruritus: “My thighs rubbed together all the time and wearing skirts or dresses or even going to sleep made me uncomfortable...applying the gel made me comfortable...no side effects.... I am happy I found this product and my skin is alot better... I used to use powder and found that my skin got worse and hurt... After using this gel my skin is so much better...as for a primer... No thanks.... I use witch hazel as a cleaner and first aide... Anyway... Once again I am so happy I found this product....”

J0ann · November 25, 2016

Cepacol Dual Relief Sore Throat (benzocaine) for Sore Throat: “Cepacol spray has worked for me better than any spray or lozenge. Its effectiveness is almost immediate. My problem is that I haven't been able to find this product for a few years. When I didn't have a bottle with me and I bought the other brand of spray, the results were not nearly as effective. I continue to look for Cepacol spray.”

Craig · Taken for 10 years or more · October 13, 2021

Chiggerex (benzocaine) for Insect Bites: “Great stuff. I use it all the time for fire ant and mosquito bites. Rub it in really good and hard, like scratching the itch. Quick relief and lasts all nite. (Or all day). Walmart has some gooey stuff supposed to be the same, band it works, but the original chiggerex "mousse" is way better to apply and not messy at all. The Walmart imitation is runny and sticky, etc.”

Marie · Taken for less than 1 month · December 11, 2021

Lanacane (benzocaine) for Pruritus: “I only used Lanacane when had itchiness on my vagina, once every 18 months or so, but it was perfect to stop that. Best I’ve ever known, better than Vagisil, but appears is no longer available in the UK certainly. We don’t pay insurance here as we don’t pay for healthcare, we get it free. I pay for cream, costs around £5 but one I buy lasts a few years as I do not use regularly.”

ry · Taken for less than 1 month · September 28, 2020

Anbesol (benzocaine) for Oral and Dental Conditions: “Anbesol DOES anesthetize a cold sore, but for some reason it always seems to make the sore worse by widening or deepening it.”

Anonymous · November 30, 2009

Anbesol Cold Sore (benzocaine) for Cold Sores: “I've used this to help with the pain associated with cold sores and along with helping manage the pain it seems to speed up the healing time. I'd recommend it!”

Johnny Cakes · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 27, 2019

Orabase (benzocaine) for Pain: “Pain relief was immediate. Orabase is extremely effective for both gun and lip discomfort.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years · September 21, 2019

Chiggerex (benzocaine) for Insect Bites: “stops mesquito itch”

Meg · Taken for 2 to 5 years · March 9, 2020

For Cold Sores: “Lanacane has benzocaine and benzethonium chloride. I find this works wonders with my cold sores. I apply every half hour and the sore is very quick to heal.”

Onniehun · April 15, 2015

Orajel (benzocaine) for Cold Sores: “I put some Orajel on my lip, as soon as I felt the cold sore coming on. It instantly numbed it and I can go on with my day without thinking about it.”

A · Taken for less than 1 month · February 27, 2018

Orajel (benzocaine) for Oral and Dental Conditions: “Did very little for painful mouth”