Can you drink alcohol while taking acyclovir?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 6, 2023.
Alcohol will not interfere with the way the antiviral drugs works. Acyclovir will still be effective.
However, the general advice is if you are suffering from any type of infection is that you are best to avoid alcohol so that you can give your body the best chance to fight off the infection and to reduce the risk of side effects, such as dizziness, especially in older adults.
Related medical questions
- What would be the benefits of taking valacyclovir vs acyclovir?
- Cold sores vs. herpes: Are they the same?
- What dosage of lysine is best for herpes outbreaks?
- Acyclovir Information for Consumers
- Acyclovir prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Acyclovir (detailed)