Can you drink alcohol while taking acyclovir?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Sep 26, 2018.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Alcohol will not interfere with the way the antiviral drugs works. Acyclovir will still be effective.
However, the general advice is if you are suffering from any type of infection is that you are best to avoid alcohol so that you can give your body the best chance to fight off the infection and to reduce the risk of side effects, such as dizziness, especially in older adults.
Related Medical Questions
- What would be the benefits of taking valacyclovir vs acyclovir?
- If you have the herpes simplex outbreaks, what dosage of lysine do you recommend?
- Acyclovir Information for Consumers
- Acyclovir Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Acyclovir (detailed)