User Reviews for Acyclovir

Also known as: Sitavig, Zovirax

Learn more about Acyclovir.

Acyclovir Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Acyclovir to treat Herpes Simplex

"I'm 48 and I was diagnosed with genital herpes when I was 35. I started dating a new guy and within 2 weeks I felt horrible burning when I urinated. I went to my midwives and sure enough I had herpes. Funny thing is I wasn't with anyone prior to him and I was with him for 6 years and not once did he ever test positive. They actually claim I could have had it on my face touched it and touched my genitals without washing my hands and transferred it. The outbreaks are less and less over the years but when I feel one coming I take acyclovir 500mg 2x daily. It helps right away. And I use a squirt bottle with warm water as I urinated to help reduce the burning."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Good day to every one reading this, I am here to give my testimony about a herbal doctor called dr tokubo who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX virus in 2015, i went to many hospitals for cure and they told me there was no solution for it, so I was thinking how i can get a solution so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution, Along the line a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX virus and gave me his email, so i mail him to order for his herbal medicine. After some series of questions fro"

lacybern6449 (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I found out I contracted genital herpes from an ex boyfriend about 5 years ago. It initially felt like a cut on my vagina that itched and burned. Went to Dr next day and sure enough- herpes (ugh). I take the medicine as needed and it works like a charm. If I do feel one coming I take 400mg three day for about 4-5 days. Clears right up. I also used to get cold sore a few times a year- haven't since taking this medicine. It's AMAZING. Just wish I never had to find out about it."

HSVSucks (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At 29 weeks pregnant I had a fever. Thought I was leaking amniotic fluid. Went to the hospital and misdiagnosed with a UTI. Stayed overnight with IVF and antibiotics and checked, monitored and ultrasound before discharged the following day. 24 hours later still not having felt well went back to the hospital and rechecked, water broke dilated to 2 and Dr said she didn't think of it before, but was going to test and treat me for Genital Herpes. Right after the emergency c section. "

InfectedBabyMama April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"About 5 days ago I realized a cut, I thought I had cut myself while shaving... it then got very uncomfortable and burned while I urinated. Finally, I took my camera down there and wanted to look... I noticed a few more cuts that look like canker sores so I made an appointment right away. She told me it looked like genital herpes. She gave my the cream and the pills. It's only been a day and it doesn't feel like it's working. I know it's soon. But I still feel like I'm on fire, I'm itchy, and it still burns like crazy. Is there anything else I can do?"

Anonymous2733!! March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the only thing that works for myself stress induced break outs (college). I use both the pills and the cream. I believe when I first started using acyclovir it was more effective and now it can take a good 4-5 days to fully heal. This is nothing in comparison to a cold sore that lasted a month without the meds though! 400mg. Free with my healthcare for the pills, the cream was $25."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got oral herpes on my face when I was in the orange in russia. I've had it seen I was younger. I'm 22 now and deal with this. I hate it. But the medication is very effective for me. I'm currently between doctors and ran our of my pills :(.. and I have a flare up. To much stress lately. I don't know how it feels to have genital herpes but I can tell you having it on my cheeks burns like crazy. Ugh..this cream isn't doing anything either."

Jeepgirl22 December 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Since early childhood I've gotten painful and gross cold sores. Just awful. In my nose sometimes, down my chin...yuck. I hate this virus. I tried all the wacky home remedies...yeah that battery powered silvery piece of rubbish I figured I'd just be Quasimoto every 3 or 4 months and just deal with it. :( Until Acyclovir 800. What IS this stuff?!?! It's magic, that's what it is. YMMV, I personally have to take 4 at first tingle to stop it "cold." It never gets red, never gets to blister. Certainly not that fun cracked, bleeding horror show round about day 6 without this stuff. So to make a long story longer, get Acyclovir 800. An interesting side effect is that I also have fewer, and less severe outbreaks. Thanks for reading,"

Stillenduringthemat50 (taken for 10 years or more) December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A year and a half ago, my BF went to New Mexico. While he was there, he contracted HSV-2. When he came back, he was honest about having the virus. I never saw an outbreak on him, so I thought he was paranoid. Last weekend, I noticed that I had burning after intercourse. By Monday, I was sure I had an outbreak. It burned when I urinated and felt like the bottom of my vagina was on fire. Tuesday I went to the dr and she said it looked like Herpes. I'm 39 years old. She prescribed acyclovir 400mg 3x. This is my first day. So far the burning is persistent and the itchiness is driving me insane. Any ideas???"

DoeGirl77 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Can anybody tell me how to deal with a red, swollen eye with blurred vision 5 days after stopping using Zovirax eye ointment. Could anybody also tell me how to stop falling asleep while taking aciclovir tablets. I find this drug debilitating and will go to see an optician about my virus."

leachbutton1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zovirax (acyclovir): "I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I am on immunosuppressants so my body just can't fight this virus on its own. After 5 days I went to my doctor. This medication was amazing- within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I am on 400 mg 3 x daily for 10 days. I am currently on day 6. For the first few days I would feel lightheaded (not dizzy) for a few hours after each dose, but that has gone away now. No nausea when taken with food. I did have a few mild headaches, but that was because I was not drinking enough fluid. As soon as I hydrated, headaches were gone. My doctor gave me 2 refills so next time I feel the onset I can start treatment right aw"

Krreno (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This stuff works great. I had my initial outbreak last year and thankfully had no pain, just itchiness. Got the sores and went to the doc- 800mg 3 times a day for 10 days. Within three days, maybe even two, they completely shrank and i could barely see them. By the 5th day completely gone. Few days ago 3 bumps appeared and I got another RX. On the third day and it is completely gone. Maybe some gastrointestinal discomfort as a side effect but that might have been to my crappy diet the last few days too :)"

HSVSucks99 July 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 57 and got herpes 35 years ago when I was cheating on my wife. I find that the meds work in 3 days if you take it at the very first sign."

Roger N June 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Unfortunately my ex-boyfriend intentionally & knowingly gave me Herpes. The first breakout was horrible, I had to go to the Emergency room. They prescribed me Acyclovir 400 mg 4x daily. It definitely works and it works fast. I had no side effects at all. I always keep it on me and I am to take 200mg 5x daily if I start to have another breakout."

lexus985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suddenly keep getn these horrible cold sores like I was slit with a razor outside in like half inch splits that sting so bad n a couple times I've gotten a single sore down unda that hurts n is red. I go as long as I can bare it n sometimes it goes away on its own quickly but wen It doesn't I take one of my sisters acyclovir's a day n 9times outa 10 it goes away within a few days. I now take lysine with my daily vitamins. U cant just take vitamins wen u need em u gota take em daily so wen u get sick or watever they've already built up in ur system. I skipped a few days last week n i already got 2cold sores. Abreva only works if u use it at the 1st sign of a cold sore, once the sores there it will not work n that's a big waist of money"

cold sore queen (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ive been diagnosed with this about 2 maybe 3 weeks ago ...my boyfriend gave it to me i found out when he had a breakout....the night before we had sex so we both went to the er to find out whats wrong ....I have not had a break out was on the 5 pill a day thing but my body couldnt handle it so the doctor put me on the pill i time a day ....idk whats going on but now I cant pee ive been trying to pee for 14 hours...ut feels like I have to go then when I sit on the toilet nothing but a few drops come out"

Leah211 (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with HSV-2 five years ago. I had hardly any symptoms until now. I was not in a sexual relationship but this week I had sex after my menstrual cycle. I had my first outbreak, it was horrible. I felt so depressed. I had all kinds of blisters in private places. Very very painful, it was hard to walk, sit sleep, go to the bathroom. I searched the web for treatment. First I tried tea tree oil, that was too harsh down there. Then I took 6,000 mg of Lysine, that did not help at all. Took 3,000 mg vitamin C, nothing. I felt that white vinegar helped a bit and cornstarch was soothing. I took 2 Epsom salt baths a day and that was soothing also. The only thing that helped was Acyclovir all symptoms went away right away."

anonmmmm March 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking generic (cheap) acyclovir for 52 years. I am 67 and contracted the herpes simplex while out in the sun at age 15. Consequently, I have not been sunbathing for 52 years and look like I am 50. There have been no side effects and I take this every day--800 mg. When I stop, I get an outbreak. Tried to go off it last year and had 5 outbreaks in 4 months. So now back on. Take it the minute I feel a tingle, 5 a day for 5 days and no problems. But still wear 70 sunscreen."

suporto February 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Acyclovir for 3 days following a first outbreak of genital herpes - having never suffered with anxiety or depression, I've been crying about an hour after taking each pill. Feeling anxious, depressed , sweating, abdominal pain, short-tempered and very nauseous. Mood swings aren't in the side effects but they should be, as countless other people on similar forums have experienced the same."

katdef124 January 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have breakouts on my nose, I used to dance and thought it would be cute to bend down, while on stage and brush there nose with mine. That turned out not so good, I wish I wasn't so nieve. I've been living with them for about 6 years and when they came out with sitavig, that's really good. I only breakout about every 2 years, when stressed or if it's really hot."

Somebody that has it January 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 19 years old and I just got diagnosed this 2 days ago. Someone took advantage because I was drunk he began stroking and I jumped up about 2 minutes into it. He was a creep all the way around but that's the only person I've could've got it from and I'm positive about that. Now I can't get in contact with the boy and my life is torn apart. I honestly so upset about this because this pain is so unbearable it hurts, burns, and itches to stand up, sit down, walk, etc. when I urine it burns super bad, and I am in misery. I can't deal with this for the rest of my life. I haven't even been showering because it burns so bad. I just started the meds 400 mg/8 hrs no progress yet though. Any suggestions???"

Tamekiaa (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug has helped keep outbreaks to a minimum. I rarely, if ever suffer with this horrible disease anymore. I'm 68, and had my first outbreak at age 28. At first I only took the medicine when I noticed the first signs of an outbreak. For me, that was a pain in my upper leg, like I had pulled a muscle. It worked ok, but didn't completely keep the outbreak from happening. For more than 20 years now, I've been taking 400MG's 2 times a day. Good effective medicine? Perhaps. It could also mean that when I was younger there was more sexual activity and more stress = more outbreaks."

2xday (taken for 10 years or more) December 6, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love this medication. I've always used abreva but decided to get a prescription because abreva took forever to kick in. I recently had an outbreak because of stress at work. It started with one blister. I put the ointment and it went away in 24 hours with a minimal scab. I then had another outbreak 2 days after. This one also went away immediately with a minimal scab. The same weekend I got a bad outbreak where my lip swole up as well. I applied the ointment at night. The next day by 6pm the swelling was gone and the blisters became a tiny scab. I LOVE this ointment."

SmileA December 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 52 married and thought I had a UTI so my Dr was treating me for that, a year later I found out my husband gave me herpes. I had a small outbreak last year but through it was from my new soap and another out break this year. My husband never had a outbreak but tested positive and decided to share he had an affair. This medicine has been a true blessing to me because I don't have anymore pain or side effects. Now I can concentrate on my divorce."

jobo60 November 20, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started with feeling like I had a cut in my genitial area at first, was tested at urgent care for herpes (doctor said it doesn't look like herpes) he came back telling me I had herpes two days later, I was then explained I have genital herpes, went to my gyn and was told I don't have genital herpes but herpes simplex. I was prescribed this drug and have never had an outbreak on my mouth before and so far I have had three oral outbreaks while taking 400mg twice daily. Within 23 days of use....? I want to try taking 400mg in the morning and 800mg at night now because this is not helping me. Haven't had any breakouts anywhere else though. Now bf has a cold sore as well. I need more than this."

SDRV (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2015