User Reviews for Acyclovir to treat Herpes Simplex

Also known as: Zovirax, Sitavig

Acyclovir has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 79 ratings for the treatment of Herpes Simplex. 71% of those users who reviewed Acyclovir reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Acyclovir Rating Summary

7.9/10 average rating

Compare all 45 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Acyclovir

ExpatThai · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 12, 2021

“Every few years it occurs, always keep it in reserve because if you are fast enough, a single 800mg can stop it in its tracks, maybe 2 or 3 just to be sure..”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2021

“I found out on Tuesday that I have herpes went to many doctors before got diagnosed with herpes started itching in 2014 didn't know what it was but can someone give me some advice on how to rid myself of it”

Child · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 5, 2020

“My child caught rash on skin. I don’t know where she came in contact with it. We had been on vacations and she was in swimming. It comes back often times every two months. It stays longer when acyclovir is used. I used the cream and the oral liquid and it the outbreak lasted for a long time and it comes back as soon as treatment stops. I’m currently trying essential oils and it clears up faster but I don’t know about the recurrences yet.”

jobo60 November 20, 2015

“I'm 52 married and thought I had a UTI so my Dr was treating me for that, a year later I found out my husband gave me herpes. I had a small outbreak last year but through it was from my new soap and another out break this year. My husband never had a outbreak but tested positive and decided to share he had an affair. This medicine has been a true blessing to me because I don't have anymore pain or side effects. Now I can concentrate on my divorce.”

Healed and happy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 10, 2020

“I had back to back outbreaks after 8 years of no outbreaks at all. I take two 400mg tablets of aciclovir a day and I have not had an outbreak since. It has honestly saved my life. I forget I even carry the virus (I told my partner when we got together) and we have unprotected sex and have not passed it on (I have never transmitted to a partner) TRY THE MEDS THEY WORK.. thank god”

lacybern6449 · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2017

“Good day to every one reading this, I am here to give my testimony about a herbal doctor called dr tokubo who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX virus in 2015, i went to many hospitals for cure and they told me there was no solution for it, so I was thinking how i can get a solution so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution, Along the line a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX virus and gave me his email, so i mail him to order for his herbal medicine. After some series of questions fro”

CharlotteLinnae January 21, 2015

“I used to get cold sores four or five times a year, sometimes more often (especially when I was dealing with the stress of college). They would appear at the most frustrating times! I tried a bunch of alternative remedies, per the recommendations of friends and family, including L-lysine and tea tree oil. I even found myself putting nail polish remover on my lips (word to the wise: don't do that). Finally, I explained to a doctor how often I was getting outbreaks and how bad they were, and they prescribed 200mg of acyclovir a day as a suppressant. It didn't seem to do anything; the cold sores kept coming. Then, another doctor upped my dose to 400mg twice a day. I didn't get a cold sore for almost five years!”

Anonymous November 16, 2011

“I had my first out vaginal herpes breakout three days ago, and it was the worst thing to ever go through. First I had a yeast infection, then started my period, then I contracted a UTI then I got treated for both yeast infection and UTI. However I went to the emergency room because I had itching extremely bad then my skin began to crack and then ulcer like open sores were there. It was painful to urinate. So the ER doctor treated me with Acyclovir 800 mg 1 tablet 5 times a day, in two days time all my symptoms were wiped out. The only side effect is that my joints ache which is very unusual for me.”

Candyy March 26, 2014

“I was prescribed this medication a few months ago and I absolutely love it. Whenever I feel a cold sore coming on, I take three 400mg tablets every 8 hours (the recommended dose by my doctor) and it stops the cold sore right in its tracks. If I'm lucky, I catch the cold sore in the tingling stage and immediently take the pills, and that usually stops the cold sore from breaking out. If I do end up getting a cold sore, I keep using the pills and it Speeds up the process and stops the cold sore from growing any bigger. This medication is amazing and I am so glad to finally have found something that actually works, as I am almost 20 years old and have been suffering from cold sores since age 4.”

niki · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

“I am 43 I just recently got diagnosed with HSV2 with two previous false negative tests. It sucks not 2 know when and where you got the infection from I've never seen any breakouts on any 1 I've been with but I'm seeing you can contract this even with a condom. I have breakouts in more than 1 place inner labial outer labial which I thought was a ingrown hair infection. Also have a breakout in the anal area but mostly the upper part of the crack which is weird. I hate this. I've been with my bf for 7 yrs he said he had a cold sore before but I don't think he gave it to me by me having 2 false tests. I'm so ashamed as I'd rather have had gonorrhea or chlamydia if I had to suffer from a STD as you can get rid of those. I haven't been able to share this news with my boyfriend as I'm afraid how he may react, he has really tripping about this COVID virus . But I may have had this 4 awhile and luckily I've never transmitted it and this is my first time with an actual blisters.”

Liz730222 January 21, 2014

“I've experienced cold sores ever since i was 13 years old, but being a college student now and constantly stressed out ive been getting them more frequently. I tried everything from abreva, all the house remedies, and ointments, but none of them worked. So i got prescribed to the 400mg dose and these pills do wonders! I felt the bump yesterday and the first stage of the blister had started and i took the dosage i was prescribed and woke up today with the bump the same size. So i took another one and within two hours it was completely gone. I am so happy to have found something that finally works”

mlj27 June 21, 2015

“I started getting cold sores about 2 years ago. I have tried everything...rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, nail polish remover, L-Lysine, bactine, abreva, ice, biotin...you name it and I've tried it. Nothing worked for me. Finally I sucked it up and went to a doctor about it and was prescribed acylvoir. I don't get any kind of tingle, so at the very first sign of a bump, I take 2 400mg pills, and then about 2 hours later I take 2 more. Within hours the bump is gone. This drug is a miracle!”

Ballerina · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 19, 2020

“I was getting many cold sores every year. I would take Acyclovir as soon as the numbness started. It never shortened the duration; never had any effect on the pain. The cold sores just kept getting worse. The doctor finally put me on a stronger anti-viral. It did nothing either. I only got headaches from the anti-virals. I finally decided to try vitamin D. I haven't had a cold sore in at least 2 years.”

DentalGuru89 June 27, 2019

“I am a 30 yr old woman and I recently became diagnosed with genital herpes a few days. I started seeing a guy that didn't know he's infected with it. We had sex one of the times without a condom and BOOM here I am. I started having a burning while peeing a few days later, vaginal irritation, stomach cramping ect. I was given a RX for an UTI. 3 days later, I broke out in a few painful little bumps, and the burning in my urination got worse. Then I got a fever. I went to the ER and the doctor diagnosed me genital herpes. Luckily it's a small localized area she said, and gave me Acyclovir 400 MG to take 3x a day. I'm on the 3rd day and it's a huge difference. The site is healing, it's not burning when I urinate, no more fever, and a lot less discharge. I've gotten some side effects of being very drowsy and tired, and tingling random places. The only thing I hate is the drowsiness. I've been fighting to stay awake at work the past 2 days of it really kicking in.”

Unavailablee January 9, 2014

“I have been plagued by cold sores since I was 14 years old and have struggled at finding any effective medication, including Abreva. A year ago I could feel an outbreak coming and did some research online and found acyclovir. I read the reviews and figured I'd try it. Within 24 hours my forming cold sore stopped and began to heal and shrink, within 3 days it was almost non existent. Yesterday I woke up and realized over night with no notice a huge sore had formed and the virus was on full unrestricted attack. Went out, got Acyclovir and again, within 24hours what was bound to be a huge long drawn out cold sore had stopped, shrunk and began healing. Acyclovir with Abreva has proved to be a miracle. TRY IT! P.S No side effects for me.”

DeezBurningNuttz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2015

“I got diagnosed with genital herpes last year around september and I got prescribed acyclovir and the initial outbreak was HELL! I was in so much pain with teeny tiny barely visible blisters around private area. But anyways, I started taking the pills, 3 a day and after a couple of days, the outbreak cleared up completely. I feel tingling around my bits like every month, when my period comes on and take the pills and the tingling goes away with a small blister barely noticeable. The pills don't cure the outbreaks but they do make them bare able and waaaaaaay less annoying. Sometimes you'll forget completely about it.”

MissCatLady · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2018

“I had HSV-2 in my 20s. My doctor gave me a strong prescription of Zyclovair and I think it was for 30 days. I never had an outbreak again. The outbreak that I was seen for, was my first and only one and it was really quite bad. Now I am 49 without a herpes outbreak following the treatment.”

anonmmmm March 4, 2016

“I was diagnosed with HSV-2 five years ago. I had hardly any symptoms until now. I was not in a sexual relationship but this week I had sex after my menstrual cycle. I had my first outbreak, it was horrible. I felt so depressed. I had all kinds of blisters in private places. Very very painful, it was hard to walk, sit sleep, go to the bathroom. I searched the web for treatment. First I tried tea tree oil, that was too harsh down there. Then I took 6,000 mg of Lysine, that did not help at all. Took 3,000 mg vitamin C, nothing. I felt that white vinegar helped a bit and cornstarch was soothing. I took 2 Epsom salt baths a day and that was soothing also. The only thing that helped was Acyclovir all symptoms went away right away.”

Jare · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2014

“I took acyclovir 400mg 5 times a day 4 hours after tingling. Completely gone in 2 days. But what is weird is it worked only one time, it never worked again. I have had ten more since the first time it worked. I did try it again on a few separate outbreaks it never even slowed it down.”

DoeGirl77 · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2016

“A year and a half ago, my BF went to New Mexico. While he was there, he contracted HSV-2. When he came back, he was honest about having the virus. I never saw an outbreak on him, so I thought he was paranoid. Last weekend, I noticed that I had burning after intercourse. By Monday, I was sure I had an outbreak. It burned when I urinated and felt like the bottom of my vagina was on fire. Tuesday I went to the dr and she said it looked like Herpes. I'm 39 years old. She prescribed acyclovir 400mg 3x. This is my first day. So far the burning is persistent and the itchiness is driving me insane. Any ideas???”

Sadbuthopeful11 · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

“I became very irritated down there to the point it hurt to go to the bathroom I schedule an appointment for the doctor and they told me I had a yeast infection I then noticed bumps down there and they tested for HSV2 (herpes simplex 2) came back positive. Currently day 3 of acyclovir and I am so happy to almost be back to myself. The pain I went through was unbearable... had to call out of work several times because I could barely walk. We will see how this medicine works for me overtime”

2xday · Taken for 10 years or more December 6, 2015

“This drug has helped keep outbreaks to a minimum. I rarely, if ever suffer with this horrible disease anymore. I'm 68, and had my first outbreak at age 28. At first I only took the medicine when I noticed the first signs of an outbreak. For me, that was a pain in my upper leg, like I had pulled a muscle. It worked ok, but didn't completely keep the outbreak from happening. For more than 20 years now, I've been taking 400MG's 2 times a day. Good effective medicine? Perhaps. It could also mean that when I was younger there was more sexual activity and more stress = more outbreaks.”

Occasional · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2013

“I woke up early in the morning and felt the tingle of a new cold sore. I went to the doc and got a prescription within the hour and took my first 400 mg pill of acyclovir. I used Abreva right when I felt it and a few times that night. I took 3 pills over the course of the first day. When I woke up the next morning the bump had not gotten bigger but had not gotten smaller either. It was hardly noticeable I should add. I took 3 more pills over the course of the second day and the bump has not grown any bigger. I woke up the 3rd morning and it has shrunk in size. I encourage everyone to get a large stock of acyclovir and take it IMMEDIATELY when the tingle is felt. Even if it is just maybe a cold sore. It is totally worth it.”

Jack August 28, 2019

“Prescribed for cold sore outbreaks, three 400mg tabs per day, took for 2 days; my heart is racing, cannot concentrate, blood pressure 157/91, my blood pressure was 120/74 two days prior to using this medication, a general feeling of unwellness, ”

anonymous 327 · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2014

“I started taking acyclovir 2 days ago and I Already feel better my outbreak is 90% clear and so far no side effects. I take 800mg 5 times a day for 7 days...O and I take it for having the shingles which is like herpes”

Loved01 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 5, 2018

“My fiance and I discovered, in the beginning of our relationship, that we both had genital herpes. My first outbreak was the ABSOLUTE worst experience, I was so sick. We suffered for 2 years, had constant breakouts and then finally we decided to both respectively take acyclovir. Doses are 800 mg tablet every day, and honest to goodness it was a miracle drug. We have been on it for 3 months now and except for an occasional itch here and there that lasts for a day and then goes away, neither of us have had the lesions or the terrible symptoms. We do not take it when we feel symptoms; instead, we take 800mg every day, possibly for the rest of our lives but that's okay so long as we never have to experience another outbreak!!”

Dada1111 · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2015

“It is an effective remedy but the side effects in my case were worse than the problem. There was a point after about a week on the drug that I thought I was going to die. Daily it got worse and I felt very tired all the time and it caused severe dizziness, trouble breathing and while I was lying in bed I was woke up with a terrible feeling that I was passing out and could not go back to sleep and just lay there with the feeling of my head swirling.”

katdef124 January 13, 2016

“I have been on Acyclovir for 3 days following a first outbreak of genital herpes - having never suffered with anxiety or depression, I've been crying about an hour after taking each pill. Feeling anxious, depressed , sweating, abdominal pain, short-tempered and very nauseous. Mood swings aren't in the side effects but they should be, as countless other people on similar forums have experienced the same.”

Learn more about Herpes Simplex