User Reviews for Docosanol

Also known as: Abreva

Learn more about Docosanol.

Herpes Simplex 180 reviews 7 medications

6.6
Summary of Docosanol reviews 180 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Docosanol

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "The tube is a pump Fake. Used it for one day , and next day its gone. It seems like its more than how much is actually in there. Use sparingly. I'd just recommend the push tube , because then you can monitor how much you're actually using. This stuff works well I swear by it. Go get it. The doctors tried to give me a 200 dollar medication -- hahaha not this time. I'd rather pay 40 dollars for two of these."

c square (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "One morning I woke up with a tiny unnoticeable cold sore so I decided to get abreva and so I cleaned the area of the sore an put it on with clean hands an went to bed. I woke up this morning with a huge cold sore that is now spreading bad . Never use it again"

NessaW March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I'm surprised to see any negative reviews, I guess everyone's body reacts differently and Abreva is no different. It works for me. I've been using it for the past 6 years or more at the first sign I get, usually a tingle or tenderness on the lip. Even if a sore has already formed it seems to quickly stop it in its tracks. Definitely pricey, but the little bottle lasts me years. Love Abreva for doing what it's advertised to do!"

Cza (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "My doctor recommended I buy abrevea. I used it several times and it did temporarily help with the pain however when I woke up in the morning my sore was gooey and looked like it had melted all over it cause it to spread on other parts of my lip."

Tdp2345 February 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I am so impressed with this product. Thursday morning started to get tingling and bubbles, went to the pharmacy and purchased abreva in the afternoon and applied as Directed since then... Here I am Saturday afternoon and already scabbing and drying up. Wow, thanks Abreva !"

Julydream (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "This product saves me all the time, if any one has issues they should be sure to consider how to maintain your lip on the path of healing. Examples: DO NOT LICK LIPS, it is such a terrible way to spread to the other parts of your lips and also the inside. I also advise to make sure you put chap-stick to moisten the rest of your lips but not including the infected area because you will spread it. Best advise I can give you is apply Abreva as soon as you feel even the slightest bump. It helps it prevent it and quicken the process. Make sure you use a Q-tip because I think the best way to cure a cold sore is being very clean with it and fast to cure. Abreva is probably best in the market and the first to consider."

Abreva is my best friend February 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I woke up in the morning with redness at the site and a very slight bump that I could tell would soon form into a blister. I immediately applied Abreva to the site as instructed, and continued re-applying every 40 minutes or so within 3 hours the cold sore erupted into a full blown multi-blister sore. I quickly removed what ever was there and began to apply Zovirax. I have used it before but wanted to give Abreva a try. I WILL THROW AWAY WHATEVER I HAVE BOUGHT AND WILL NEVER USE ABREVA Again. It literally made it 100 times worse."

MasinMary February 16, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "THIS STUFF IS GREAT. Everyone's experiance with coldsores is different but with Abreva mine never turns into a scab. AS SOON AS YOU FEEL A TINGLE USE THE CREAM. The faster the better. It's expensive but works. ITS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS "

Cold sore guy (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "got my first cold sore in 2010. started first with a tingle, then itchy, then inflammation as the blister tried to make it to the surface. There was a raised, circular shape where I knew the cold sore was coming. Rushed to Walmart to get abreva (back then it was still in the tube and $16) and applied it about every 2-3 hrs that day. The blister itself never actually was able to form into an unsightly sore (no scab), though I still saw the circular, raised area which took about 3-4 days to fully disappear. Over the course of a year, I had about 3 more cold sores in the same spot, always applied abreva at the first tingle and it never surfaced. This week got a cold sore for the first time in 7 years, put on abreva and again, never surfaced"

Annie1234578 February 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Don't buy the abreva pump. It's a rip off. I've used abreva for years. The pump gives the impression of being more. There scam is when you push the pump way more cream gets expelled than needed. I'm half way through my outbreak and totally out of cream. Just open it up and see the tiny tiny little tube Time to go on prescription . To bad for this corporate company I'm tired of being ripped off by these thieves."

Anonymous February 9, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I am so happy with this products. Everytime I get a high fever which is usually once or twice and year I always have a break out of fever blisters. I have tried everything under the sun from ice, tea bags, herpicin L, releev, carmex... Anything and it would always take a 3-4 weeks to just see it start to scab. I bought Abreva yesterday morning and it is already at the scabbing stage and I had a fever blister start the day before. I apply every 2-3 hours and its working great! I do make sure the wash and dry hands before and after applying abreva."

Total Embarrassment (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Works pretty darn good. You have to apply it diligently though- every 2 hours. Do not apply gobs of it but a thin layer with a Q-tip. Throw away the Q-tip so you don't cross contaminate!! Use Abreva right when you notice your lip tingle or itch. I also ice my lip for as long as I can stand to prevent the virus from replicating. It loves a warm environment. Ice kills it. I recommend icing, then applying a fresh layer of Abreva and taking Valtrex or acyclovir (1G). It should prevent your sore from growing and possibly eliminate it entirely if you catch it quickly enough."

MsRainbowBrite99 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Herpes Simplex: "I have suffered from cold sores my entire life. Abreva is the only thing that works for me. It is a miracle drug! I also start taking L-lysine at the first sign of a cold sore. the two things in combination have turned me lifelong suffering into a barely noticeable minor irritation. The only complaint I have is the new pump bottle which dispenses more cream than needed. The medicine is too expensive to waste like that."

WhateverJ January 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "This stuff is seriously the best thing I've tried. I applied it within the first couple hours of noticing a cold sore bump start to grow and it never even developed into a full blown cold sore. It was completely gone in 3 days, and during those 3 days it wasnt even bad or noticeable. Absolutely worth the price. will repurchase when I run out."

GG55xo January 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "100% works for me! and my family! thank you for this wonderful cream! "

svetochkaG January 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I have suffered from cold sores since I was a toddler. It was miserable getting them several times a year as a child with no remedy. Just two+ weeks of misery and embarassment because those suckers would always sit right in the middle of my bottom lip. When abreva came out I was so desparate to try it and it works for me. If you use it the 2nd day of getting a cold sore , no it is not going to work as well because the virus is now going nice and strong. It will help with the pain and aggravation and will still help shorten its life span a bit but not as much as within the first 8hrs of getting one. I also use it in conjunction with vicks vapor rub. Sucker dies in under a week and def cuts a lot of the painful scab stage out!"

Katte13 January 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Abreva is the only cold sore cream I have found that works. I've been getting outbreaks my entire life. More so when I was a kid, now I get one outbreak about once a year. I apply the cream at the first sign of tingling and use it every 2 hours the first day while applying with a finger and washing my hands before and after. The second day I apply it every 3-4 hours. Abreva stops the spreading for me, the earlier I catch it the better. It also takes about 5 days to fully go away, if I don't use abreva it will stick around for up to two weeks."

Happy customer (taken for 10 years or more) January 14, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "This stuff is the bomb. As soon as I get any feeling like a cold sore I apply it and boom it goes away! I have prescription pills to get rid of it but don't see the point taking meds when this does the trick!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I've really have hoped this would work. I've tried it each time I get that twitch for a cold sore. Applying it as directed. Have not seen a shortened healing time. It is more of a medicated moisturizer cream. I keep hoping for it to work as marketed but the concentration of the medication is not strong enough. Consider a more cost effective, moisturizer lip balm."

Was Hoping it Would Work (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I was surprised to see quite a few negative reviews of Abreva. It works great for me. As soon as I noticed the itching I put it on right away and as often as I can throughout the day. There've been some times where you can barely notice there's anything on my lip. It heals up quickly and numbs the pain. I remember the old days when it would take two weeks or more to fully heal, and it would be a big, awful sore on your lip. I don't get cold sores that often, but I always have Abreva on hand. One thing I did notice is that when I had a tube for a long time that was six months or more until the expiration date it didn't work as well as a new tube. It's expensive, but I think it's totally worth it!"

Halo 7 January 3, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Herpes Simplex: "From my experience abreva is expensive and does not work. It has caused me to have additional out breaks which I have never experienced before. However campho phenique is cost effective and does work. When I have run out of campho phenique I have used calamine lotion because it contains zinc along with a multi vitamin, vitamin C, and i have incorporated eating avacado and yogurt. By the 2nd day no more pain,my swelling has gone down and im on my way to feeling confident."

Anonymous December 29, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I only had ONE cold sore on my bottom lip right in the middle. I used over 6 home remedies the day I saw a tiny bump with some bubbles, the next day abreva was the only thing I was using and 2 days later I noticed the cold sore as spread underneath my lip. I have over 6 little cold sores. I am so mad I spent $20 on this cream. I am visiting a dermatologist to help me because it's been over a week and all of my cold sores are not gone. You're better off with home remedies such as the following: ketchup, garlic, tea tree oil, ice, vanilla extract, doterra oils (on guard oil), alcohol, etc. anything that will dry it out. Overall abreva helped me in the past once but now I'm done with it. Over priced and spreads more cold sores, don't buy."

Cinthia10 December 26, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I've been using Abreva for about 10 years now. What does that tell you? I'm amazed at how good it works. 4 or 5 times a day and I can see it start working. after 4 or 5 days, it's pretty much gone. If you're persistent with your application, you shouldn't get any red scabby blister. My one problem with the product is that you changed the container from a thin opening to a wider opening, therefore having to use more of the product. Why can't you go back to the original container with the thin neck...therefore preventing waste."

Earl T December 23, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "What a waste of 20dollars. Overpriced medication to catch customer one time because its so ineffective, follow up sales unlikely. This is a scam."

dwfish December 22, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I upset that they even get a 1! Doesn't work! Cold sore only got worse!"

Shan27 December 21, 2016