User Reviews for Docosanol topical

Herpes Simplex
4.6

Reviews for Docosanol topical

Happy May 7, 2021

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I've only had a cold sore two separate times. The first time I wasn't too sure what it was. My outbreak wasn't too bad but lasted a couple days. This time I applied it when I felt the tingling and could see something was starting to flare up. It's been one day and already went through the fluid filled stage and burst. It's very small and pretty unnoticeable after applying Abreva periodically all day. Everyone reacts differently but its definitely worth a try. I think a lot of people saying that Abreva made their case worse don't realize that cold sores get worse and can spread on their own. Abreva needs to be used at the first sign of an outbreak. I'd say it can't do miracles, but for me, it has. Saves a lot of embarrassment.”

Lunara · Taken for 10 years or more April 26, 2021

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I've had herpes simplex for as long as I can remember. I get at least 1-2 outbreaks a year and it always springs up in the fall and the spring. I always put Abreva on the area as soon as I feel some tingling going on. Anyone who gets cold sores knows the feeling I'm talking about. The little stabby pain that tells you something viral is happening. I put Abreva on the affected area every hour. A thick layer to keep the lips moist and to numb the area a little. Most of the time, Abreva keeps me from getting a terrible outbreak that spreads. It will keep the cold sore mostly under the skin, so I don't have any weeping or crusting. It really is a miracle cream for me.”

Jay April 15, 2021

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I have used Abreva for years and it seems to work well for me. Caution here, is that you must use it at the sign of a cold sore, to relieve the itch and not touch the area. It works very quickly (overnight), if applied to a sore that is already drained. As someone mentioned, it would be nice if the medication could be made transparent”

Dusss · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2012

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “Got a cold sore at the worst possible time.. Met a chick.. Cute chick.. Everything was perfect...really like her.. (who knows I might marry her). Anyway, after our first date I started getting a fever blister. She wanted me to come to her place the next day....Of course I couldn't do so...Checked into how to remove the blisters, found some Abreva and paid $20.. reluctantly for a small tube. Used it for 2 days.. using it almost every 2 hours. On the 3rd day its totally gone. No Blister at all. Could have lost the lady of my dreams. Woohoo Thanks Abreva.”

Bomer-Hob October 23, 2014

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “It does work fast. Usually I can get rid of it in 2-4 days. The only issue I have is the cream is a dark white color so if I apply it to my lip, the white cream is very noticeable on my lip. In public, I would have to wipe part of it off so no one would see that I have white cream on my lip. I wish this cream was more transparent.”

Shiori March 10, 2020

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “Every few years I seem to forget why I quit buying abreva. Normally my coldsores last 3-4days, don't get very big etc. . But EVERY SINGLE TIME I give abreva a try, 1 small bump turns into 5 or 6 huge blisters so bad I can barely talk . Literally have only had that happen when using abreva. I don't know why I keep going back to it. It's horrible.”

K · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 16, 2019

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “So unfortunately I have had cold sore outbreaks for years. I hate the stigma attached to them. But I've always used Abreva. From the pump or the tube. Both worked great... However.....this time I'm currently laid up in bed unable to speak because my cold sore has literally multiplied into several little bumps it's incredibly painful to do anything and my lip look so swollen I feel like I was punched in the lip. I don't know what happen to Abreva but it use to be good. This time has almost got me wanting to go to the hospital ”

Halestorm · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2020

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I’ve been getting fever blisters for years, usually 1-2x a year now and I’m fairly good at getting them to die down within 2-5 days. I see a lot of negative comments about Abreva, I decided to try it because I really need this blister gone QUICK this time. I started using it in the first stage of a little bump yesterday - along side lysine rich foods ONLY during my outbreaks, extra lysine supplements and my valacyclovir - with my whole regimen my blister has already began to shrink and crust over within 24 hours - making this the quickest time I’ve made it basically disappear and I think a huge part of that is the Abreva I added to the mix. You cannot solely rely on medication to aid in your outbreak - you must also watch your diet, your stress levels and any triggers - such as heat, wind, sweating - anything that can irritate the virus infected cells must be avoided or the medications are just a weak band aid.”

Steffii November 6, 2014

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I skipped the tingle stage all together. My lips had been really dry and I was using Chapstick when all of a sudden there was a random blister on my lip. I immediately went and bought some Abreva. It never got past the blister stage. It has been 2 days and it just looks like a dry patch now. No scab. No oozing. Can't even tell it's there if you didn't know.”

T · Taken for 10 years or more December 27, 2020

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “The negative reviews are wild to me. I've been using this for 20 years. I don't get them often enough to use the same tube twice, but the moment I feel even the slightest tingle, I am at a pharmacy within 10 minutes buying this. It works if you use it RIGHT away. The giant blister clump won't form. That is exactly how it is advertised. If the blisters have already formed, it will be as effective as mayonnaise, just go ahead and cancel your plans, you're done for a couple of weeks.”

Hannah March 8, 2020

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I started using the very first day I felt that tingle and within 4 days I had another blister, and then just as the first one was starting to clear up, along came a third. It’s been 7 days since I started using this product and I now have 3 blisters that don’t look like they’re going anywhere soon. I’m so disappointed.”

Muminah · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2014

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I honestly didn't think Abreva would work. I got the first signs of a cold sore on a Thursday morning and applied the Abreva immediately. On Friday, my cold sore blistered just a little bit and was somewhat itchy but the Abreva definitely kept the cold sore from getting any bigger and under control. By Saturday, I noticed that the blisters were already drying out and on the way to healing well. One Sunday, it was gone completely! I'd definitely use Abreba again! Without it, I'd have to face a whole week or more of enduring a very itchy, fast growing and ugly cold sore that would make me feel ugly and very self-conscious.”

PRMAR · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2020

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “This is my first outbreak. The pain is unbearable. Started using abreva and I feel like it just made my sores worse and it also caused them to get bigger. Now I have two huge scabs that look absolutely disgusting. I wonder if leaving it alone would've been a better option.”

Leelee · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 8, 2019

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “Okay peeps here's the thing, cold sores don't always act the same way every time. It's possible that you are used to it looking a certain way every time it appears (like a small circle) but years later it can make you look like you got punched in the mouth and then go back to a small circle like you are used to. It's not the product that makes your cold sore worse unless you have an allergic reaction to the chemical make up of the product but that would result in hives. Abreva is a great topical option to use ALONG with other treatment. There are medications you can use to cut the cold sore short. Do a little research and talk to your doctor to see about getting a script. In my opinion Abreva isn't strong enough to deal with the cold sore on its own; but it is definitely beneficial when you use it along with medication.”

Don't Buy (Please read) · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2020

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “If you already have blisters or lesions, go to the doctor... do not buy Abreva. Just like you, I hoped it would fix the problem in 2 1/2 days as advertised and didn't really have time for a trip to the doctor's office. I wasted $30 and prolonged my face deformity by relying on Abreva. New blisters actually popped up after I started using it! Only after I got proper anti-virals did the blister (and its Abreva friends) begin to heal. The doctor actually told me, "I've never had much luck with patients who use Abreva." Get anti-virals if you need to show your face in public anytime soon.”

Trupes · Taken for 10 years or more March 25, 2014

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I have been effected by this virus all my life. I found Abreva and the blisters disappear within a few days of treatment. I have no side effects from this cream. The key is to catch it early and treat the blister(s) promptly and as prescribed. I am grateful for Abreva being an over the counter medication.”

Dontbuythis November 17, 2019

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “Abreva was used at the very beginning before I even felt a tingle. I used it and it spread the cold sore terribly. Now I have two outbreak spots which is very rare for how I get them. Never buying this again. Con product that doesn’t do anything but make it way worse.”

Cindy128 October 3, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I experience cold sores 3-4 times a year. My RX acyclovir was long expired, so I tried abreva. Walgreens only had the pump bottle available. It was almost as effective as RX. My complaint is that the amount dispensed is at least 3 times what is needed...so much waste considering the cost!!”

Jess893478274 January 31, 2014

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I was in Mexico and spent the whole day drinking at the pool (I think they did not wash glasses properly and I contracted it there). I went for dinner and just as I finished my meal I licked my lips and right away could feel the tingle, then bit my bottom lip where it was and had that very sharp pain. Could tell right away, having had several when I was younger. A single small blister had formed on my lip already and luckily I carry Abreva everywhere so I put some of that on right away. Next day it had "popped", I soaked that and put more Abreva. Was starting to heal and crust within 2 days. This is why the ladies in my family carry it everywhere. You have to use it straight away to stop the spreading, but its a life saver.”

Smpm · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 17, 2019

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “Abreva has worked for me every time. If you use it at first sign, and rub it in until the product disappears every time you use it, it will stop the virus from growing and spreading. My outbreaks are gone in 3 to 4 days. If you dab it on and don’t rub it in, it won’t work. If you use it after the blister has begun to form, it won’t work. Also, even if you use it at first sign, the blister will form, but it won’t be as big.”

Girl · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2020

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I used Abreva when I was younger and it really helped a lot. Now I recently saw a fever blister on the corner of my lip so I went and bought Abreva right away and applied it to both sides of the corners of my lip. The next morning both corners of my lip was super swollen and there were several blisters!!! I couldn’t even close my mouth without being in such pain. Definitely won’t be ever using Abreva again. Very expensive and I can’t even go out in public like this!”

Aref October 31, 2019

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “Ok... Guys... This cream may work only at the very beginning of this awful sickness hahaha... Was reading the reviews... Found this salt water recipe which works. Seriously it burns your lips but it is good. You see I applied this cream many times but it only worsen my condition. My blister was getting bigger. Till I made a very strong salt water mix and washed my mouth with it couple times. My blister skin peeled off. Ou yea. You betcha. It works. Couple more times and I'm all good... Try it!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I thought I had a cold sore but I think it was actually just a crack at the corner of my mouth from dry skin. I started applying Abreva and began to get little red bumps around my mouth, mostly where I was applying the Abreva. The rash spread and now I have blistery red bumps all around my mouth, and a split lip. I will never buy this stuff again.”

Linda in Georgia July 10, 2017

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “Abreva use to work, not anymore. It appears they have changed the formula. It has been a few years since I've had a cold sore or fever blister. Years ago when I used Abreva, I could feel a tingling sensation when I applied it. Within 24 hours you could tell a difference ~ the fever blister was not spreading but getting smaller. The Abreva purchased in 2017 you feel nothing when you put it on.... Does not work like it use to. Please bring back the old formula.”

OneQuill · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 5, 2020

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I agree with the first few I've read. Abreva does NOT work and its WAY overpriced. Been to see the doctor who gave me valtrex for the cold sores and said to use Abreva topically also. Guess what? Months later I still have them. I've experimented and neither works, either together or on its own. No matter what I do it never develops beyond a blister, just kind of ebbs and flows in severity. I'm so frustrated I could scream. Been fighting the dang things for almost a year now. Ridiculous that there isn't something out there that works.”

Anonymous September 10, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “So I started getting cold sores when I was young but as I grew older I had stopped getting them. Anyway I got a cold sore 2 days before my 20th birthday, right? I mean I was completely devastated so I searched online and found some reviews on Abreva. I headed out to purchase it (yes, small tube, very expensive). I thought it was worth the try but I wasn't expecting much. Two days later my cold sore was barely visible and to be honest, I'm only doing this review because I do think the product was worth the price and it actually works.”

Joesk007 May 1, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “Best product out there however dont buy the pump bottle it is very wasteful .It pumps out 4 times more than you need and the tip clogged overnight and hardens ,more waste.Its very expencive for the amount you get so no use to be wasteful .Buy the squeeze tube instead”

Zeebra · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2019

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: “I had a tingle on my lower lip and felt a bump forming. I decided to get Abreva because I’ve used it years before and it worked for cold sores. I always use Q-tips to apply and made sure no double dipping. BUT this time it made it 100x worse. Blister Bumps formed all over my bottom lip and spread to my upper lip and to the nose. I had to go to the doctor to get oral medication. Don’t ever use this product !!!!”