User Reviews for Docosanol

Also known as: Abreva

Learn more about Docosanol.

Herpes Simplex 214 reviews 7 medications

6.1
Summary of Docosanol reviews 214 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Docosanol

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I have been using abreva for four days. The second day I noticed it was getting better. Today on the fourth day I noticed that smaller bumps around my cold sore are starting to form. It made my cold sores smaller but now I have to deal with what it caused. Very disappointed because having a cold sore isn't pretty. Just when I thought it was getting better, something else pops up. It was very expensive so I was really looking forward to a better experience."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I've had cold sores come up before but normally treating the area with ice and lemon juice stopped it from coming out but this time I didn't have the chance to do that so it ended up sprouting out. It started off small and I applied abreva but it just got bigger and bigger. I don't think that's the abreva's fault because it was bound to get bigger but I think it may be spreading because of it. It honestly doesn't do much and it also doesn't feel like anything is happening. I prefer using vanilla extract, ice, lemon juice, advil paste and cornstarch paste to help because I actually feel it working."

Juila Mickel October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I've always suspected that when I use abreva, while it may shorten the life of one cold sore, another often developed right after it. It happened this time, so now I'm convinced. I had 3 different spots that took 9 days to heal and now that those are gone, I have another popping up! I'm thinking you just have to let them run their course- maybe use a lysine product to reduce pain."

Bananabrain (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Abreva always worked for me but this time I think I started too late. I woke up with a cold sore it was not big but red and past the tingly stage "

Nanania September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I, too, thought Abreva was magic.. for awhile. It was so reliable. If I caught the tingle early enough, no cold sore developed. If it was already in progress, it healed so quickly and painlessly. It always worked and so I gladly paid the high price. A little over a year ago, I got one that started on my nose and took over half of my face. It got infected and I needed two types of antibiotics. I didn't suspect the Abreva, until now. This week, I used Abreva on a really small one on my lip, and now it's all the space between my lip and nose, advancing toward my eye, and I'm so swollen I can't eat. Antibiotics again. Goodbye Abreva. Forever."

LAMarky September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I've been using it for 4 days and hasn't made the sores any better only worse . Waste of my hard earned money ."

Nick Denaril September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Starting getting cold sores a few years ago and Abreva used to work but now I have used it last time and this time and not only does not work but appears to make it worse. I usually only have one small one the whole time and it is gone in a few days. Now, both times I have used it, the one cold sore tripled and it bigger than ever. Will not waste my money on this product anymore. They have definitely changed something and not for the better."

lesjumar August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I got a cold sore yesterday morning, it was quite small and barely noticeable. I put abreva on and put it on like 10 times and when I woke up this morning it was bigger and more painful. It does not work. I don't get cold sores quite often, only when I'm very sick or physically drained (I'm a lifeguard and swim teacher). This was a huge disappointment, especially for how expensive it was."

Livieeeee August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I have taken this medicine since it first came out. I felt the tingle of a new sore the other day and bought a bottle of Abreva (this bottle has a pump to supply the medication which is more liquidish). After 2 days of use I realized that no only had the Abreva NOT worked, my cold sore had spread to 3 times the original size and was still contagious (tingly and sore). I mentioned this to my husband who said we had an older squeeze tube of Abreva (paste consistency) in his bathroom and he suggested I try that instead. After 12 hours, 2 applications, the cold sore is already getting better. My guess is that the makers of Abreva have watered down the active ingredient so much that it is no longer effective so they make more money."

Greedsux (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I tried this for the first time on Wednesday afternoon as a sore was rapidly starting. It's now Friday night and it's a tiny dry speck. It has also worked on some weird unknown irritation on my face. This is the quickest I can remember having one resolve. I applied a tiny bit probably every hour or whenever I became aware of it again, and it worked very well."

HinCA (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I have been using abreva for years and it is incredibly good. I got off a phone call with the bank and within minutes the cold sore was starting to form and my bottom lip was beginning to tingle and itch. At that point I knew - so I drove as quickly as I could to the pharmacy and purchased a bottle. Applied it immediately and the cold sore literally stopped in its tracks. I put it on at least 3 times that day and by the next morning (today) it almost looks as if nothing is there. No red spot near the edge of my lip. Now just a very small bump that is already beginning to get smaller and smaller. I would recommend this stuff to anyone. It works like magic if you put it on right when you feel the cold sore start to come in."

United Deca July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Abreva was a god-send. I to apply at the first tingle and cold sore would not even develop . Fast forward a couple of years , (about 1-2 sores tried to come out per year but I was successful in full stop) Abreva no longer works. It even appears to spread the blisters? I no longer feel the numbing sensation that I used to from the abreva cream. I'm so disappointed ! I feel like I may have become immune to the cream or else the formula has changed."

FloorPisser (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Abreva use to work, not anymore. It appears they have changed the formula. It has been a few years since I've had a cold sore or fever blister. Years ago when I used Abreva, I could feel a tingling sensation when I applied it. Within 24 hours you could tell a difference ~ the fever blister was not spreading but getting smaller. The Abreva purchased in 2017 you feel nothing when you put it on.... Does not work like it use to. Please bring back the old formula."

Linda in Georgia July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Abreva used to work for me very well, but it no longer does. I used to put it on and it would shorten healing time significantly, and if I caught it early enough would go away before blistering. The last couple of times I caught one right away and put it on at the first tiny tingle. It still spread to a huge multi-blister sore and took 2 weeks to heal. Either my body has grown resistant to the active ingredient in Abreva that used to work, or they have changed their formula. Very disappointed."

Aubrey2017 July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "My immune system has been stressed by pregnancy and all of a sudden I started getting cold sores. The first one I immediately used carmex like my dad did when I was a kid and it blistered and popped within a few days and took almost the full 2 weeks to heal completely. This time I was far enough in the pregnancy that I was okay using medication and boy was it one hell of a blister by the time I applied the abreva. Dead center upper lip was just one solid mass of blisters. I used it the recommended five times a day. That was yesterday. Today the blister is gone, not popped but deflated and hardened in that spot. No pain. But the medicine makes my whole mouth feel funky, even inside, not just where I've applied the ointment."

WillowStarfire (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Started to feel the tingle and put some abreva on. Within 2 hours I had 3 small visible blisters. Continued to treat with abreva hoping that it would make it stop growing but it soon grew to nearly half of my lower lip with 8 separate sores. I'm very swollen and have never experienced this degree of cold sore discomfort before. Switching back to my expensive prescription meds, as abreva did not work for me."

Temagami (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Felt a little numb on the top of my lip, so I ran to put some Abreva on it. I used it for about a day and a half as directed (5x daily) with quite a healthy amount each time. I realized after the day and a half that anywhere I put the Abreva, the cold sore had spread to and was now blistering. It did the exact opposite of what it said it was supposed to do. Will never use again."

Cass94 May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Abreva worked for me up until now. It seems to make it worse. I have tried other things lately because the Abreva isn't cutting the healing time at all. Note, I have been soaking a cotton ball in whole milk and applying it for 5-10 minutes every 2 hours. It takes away the inflammation of the cold sore, feels much more better, blends in with my skin... The milk has antiviral and bacterial properties that help. Try it!"

anonymouz (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "When I apply Abreva at the very first tingle, it drastically reduces the amount that the cold sore grows to, and reduces my healing time in half. (Without Abreva, my cold sores usually last about 2 weeks from initial tingle to completely healed, and with Abreva only one week.) I get twice yearly outbreaks. Abreva would be more worth it if it were not so over priced."

Happy with Abreva, not price May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex: "I get cold sores once or twice a year . The sun usually is the cause. Usually I take acyclovir orally which works great if taken within the first day of the tingle warning sign. This time I was traveling and I had no refills from the pharmacy. After 3 days the herpes popped out on my lower lip. I felt a lot of pain, and I had trouble eating and drinking. I bought Abreva at 10:30 last night. The pain has been reduced dramatically. The lip still looks horrible , but it feels a lot better. I spent $ 17 on Abreva, but it was worth it. I will refill my prescription for acyclovir so that I can take it right away next time I get the tingle after being in the sun . The acyclovir taken orally actually can prevent the herpes from erupting. But if you wait"

Walter s (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex: "I use this medication daily and by doing this I have found it drastically reduces healing time, but MORE IMPORTANT is the fact that is significantly reduces future outbreaks!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Made it worse probably better off just seeing it through and eating healthy to prevent them"

Cumfunkle May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Tried it many time, even use it as a preventing fact, still got them and it didn't make them heal any faster, the bottle is package to look bigger than it actually is. I think its a total expensive scam!"

Jayhem May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Abreva helps with the pain and itching that cold sores can cause. But that's it. The herpes virus is internal. It sheds during times of stress or sickness. No topical medication is going to stop the herpes virus from running its course internally. Only oral medications taken by mouth can shorten the cycle of the herpes virus when it sheds. Personally, I take Acyclovir, prescribed by my dermatologist, upon feeling the first tingle of a herpes cold sore. I have found that It cuts the cycle in half. Other people prefer Valtrex. If you want real results during a herpes outbreak, you need an oral medication. Keep it handy in your prescription cabinet. Not a topical cream. Herpes is an internal virus. Talk to your doctor."

Propagandhi (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I get a cold sore every May and December... Last December I used Abreva " At the first tingle " and it just never developed and was totally healed in 2 days. Now it's May and I cut this one off at the pass even sooner but the results are totally opposite. It does seen smaller and less painful then if I didn't use anything but it's still a full blown cold sore. The jury is still out on this subject. I really can't tell with just 2 uses. But the good news is I have the rest of my life to do more research. I'll update my review next December."

AnthraxB May 4, 2017