User Reviews for Docosanol

Also known as: Abreva

Learn more about Docosanol.

Herpes Simplex 149 reviews 7 medications

6.7
Summary of Docosanol reviews 149 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Docosanol

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Does not work at all!!!!!!!!! I started using Abreva at the first sign of a cold sore and less than 4 hours later I had a small bump appear. I was using Abreva all day but by bedtime ( 12 hour's after I first applied ) I had a full blown cold sore. 2 days later and now my whole top lip is broke out. I washed the area and used Q tips to apply but for some reason it still spread. I have never had one to spread before so I will never use this again. I will just stick with tea tree oil."

Ms.X November 19, 2016

For Herpes Simplex: "Abreva (docosanol) is the only over-the-counter anti-viral cold sore treatment available in the US. Most other over-the-counter brands will not have any effect on the duration and severity of the blister(s), other than treating the symptoms which include pain, itchiness etc. You should apply anti-virals once you start to feel the "tingly", warm feeling in your lip before the blister arrives. This will inhibit the virus particles to replicate and infect more cells, which would have made your sore bigger, more painful and longer lasting. That being said, this doesn't work perfectly, all the time. I swear by this, and I will NEVER waste money on anything that does not contain anti-virals. Read the content label before you purchase and google!"

NeuroPhD (taken for 10 years or more) November 17, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Doesn't work at all. I've been getting cold sores for my entire life and my mom always got me Areva because it's supposed to be "the best" but it never worked- just a waste of money. It makes your cold sore very gooey and gross. I highly recommend Campho-Phenique Cold Sore Treatment which is a little less than $4 and works wonders."

Nikkkkk November 7, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Abreva works wonders! Put it on your cold sore the minute you notice it coming. Make sure you clean the area and your fingers prior to use. Mine was gone after two days!!! I always get these sores due to overexposure to sun or stress and never was able to find something that would help. I've tried orajel, ice,saltwater and it just made it worse! It's a virus so it will spread if you "pop" one of the liquid filled bumps. Do not touch it unless you're putting abreva on. I cleaned the area and reapplied Abreva 5-7 times for two days. Try to do it as gently as possible and it will be gone. Hope this helps."

Thisreallyworks! October 22, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Followed instructions on package. Put it on before broke through. Didn't work any better then other products and cost 3 times as much."

1 st time user (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "It's a scam and a total waste of money, all cold sores will start healing itself in 3 days. I speak from 70 years of experience. Save your money. When I feel the first tingling of a cold sore I use Blistex and use it continually for 2 or 3 days and the blister doesn't even form. It's quite obvious that you don't accept comments that are truthful and affect your monetary bottom line. Another evidence of a scam."

stickit (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I experience cold sores 3-4 times a year. My RX acyclovir was long expired, so I tried abreva. Walgreens only had the pump bottle available. It was almost as effective as RX. My complaint is that the amount dispensed is at least 3 times what is needed...so much waste considering the cost!!"

Cindy128 October 3, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I experience cold sores 3-4 times a year. I'd run out of my prescription acyclovir which works the best for me. Walgreens only had the pump dispensed available. The product worked fairly well, but the pump dispenses 3-4 times the amount needed. It's very expensive, so too much uncontrolled wasted product!!"

Cindyag October 3, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Does not work one bit. I get coldsores quite often. I've been trying Abreva for a few years now and it's a complete waste of money. Felt one come on. ..put Abreva literally every 15min and now it's bigger and it spread. ...don't waste your hard earned $25"

AlinaT (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Its just a placebo just meant to slightly reduce the discomfort associated to an herpes outbreak. Has no effect whatsoever on the root cause, which is the virus itself, and therefore it does not shorten the course of the outbreak as other more effective over-the-counter medicines do."

new0rlens September 29, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I have never wanted to try anything else than Abreva. I really like this product. I have cold sores often because of a lot of different reasons, but it world for me every time. Usually they last for about 2 weeks and they get really big and really gross, but if I put Abreva on even only once a day, it lasts for about a week and it stays lip colored and you can barely see it. And to be honest. It may or may not work for you but then again, everyone reacts different to things. So you can't really refer yourself to comments, you just need to try it for yourself. I like it. Some people don't. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. I really hope, whoever you are, that abreva will work for you."

AnonymousCupcake (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Don't waste your money on this. All this product does is take away the pain. I got this as soon as i felt a cold sore coming and applied it religiously and it did nothing for me. On the 4th day of my outbreak someone told me to try "New Skin" its a type of liquid bandaid, got it at wallmart for 4$. Less than 12 hours after putting new skin on the outbreak has drastically gone down in size and the nasty scabs were gone. It just looked like a small burn."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "It works great! It helps numbs the pain a lot which helps. It also speeds up the healing process. If I start using it the second I feel the tingle sometimes the blister doesn't even form! If I can't get another tube before it starts to blister but I can get to it within a day, it shortens the time I have it from 7 days to only 2 maybe 3. Totally worth it! I've dealt with these all my life, it's nice to have something out there that works."

Sweetshaunna (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 17, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "So I started getting cold sores when I was young but as I grew older I had stopped getting them. Anyway I got a cold sore 2 days before my 20th birthday, right? I mean I was completely devastated so I searched online and found some reviews on Abreva. I headed out to purchase it (yes, small tube, very expensive). I thought it was worth the try but I wasn't expecting much. Two days later my cold sore was barely visible and to be honest, I'm only doing this review because I do think the product was worth the price and it actually works."

Anonymous September 10, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I usually use acyclovir to treat my cold sores. Didn't have it with me and bought abreva. This product didn't have any effect. Cold sore kept getting bigger, forming new blisters. This is the worst, more and bigger blisters than I ever had. A waste of money."

Kfvugdd September 9, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "this and campho phenique are the best cold sore medicines you can get, or at least for me they work. The catch is I have to apply them immediately after I feel the uncomfortable tingling, even before it breaks through the skin. If I wait for even a small bump to form before applying it, it will take at least 5-6 days before it starts to disappear. But if I do it immediately, the cold sore won't form. I'm on day 3 and my cold sore is almost gone. It bumped up very slightly the 2nd day but it wasn't even noticeable. It didn't turn red or white or that gross yellow color when it scabs over. Just looked like an incredibly tiny skin toned pimple. And now it's smaller and flat and almost completely gone. But tonight it will be none existent "

Samlovesham September 8, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Didn't work. Put it on the moment I got a tingle. 2 days later I still broke out . Day 8 now and it's still here. Waste of money for what you get."

Dougve September 7, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I'm on day 5 and it's scabbing, thinking it will be here until day 8-10, it didn't really help speed up healing, and I used it before the blisters appeared, when my lips felt tight in one spot..."

Didn't really speed healing September 2, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "This product definitely works! Please be forewarned that the pump style tube may stop working. Since mine stopped working before I could use it a second time, I decided to take it apart to pull out the medicine. What I found was a small pea sized amount within the overly long casing. Don't mistake the outer case as the amount you get because you are being ripped off! I bought the tube style & it has 3x more product even though both styles claim to have the same amount."

Cmariek August 29, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "So worth it. No product has helped except abreva. I put it on as soon as I realize I'm getting a cold sore and within 2-4 days its gone. Tip don't let your thing burst or this product can't help you. Only works if used before you pop the blister and the blister won't pop."

George l (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "This product does not work. At all. Do NOT spend money on this product!!!!! It works no better than a .99 cent chapstick. Complete waste of money!!!!!!!"

Cuttyj (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Absolute rip off and scam. You pay 20-30 USD for this. this medication is no better than hydrogen paroxide which actually gives you more superior results and costs you nothing at all. A bottle of hydrogen peroxide can last you for years and costs 50 cents. anti viral cream has no effect on virus I can assure you that."

The Physician August 21, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "This product didn't work. Felt a little bump in the morning, applied Abreva throughout the day. My blister is full blown. This product is garbage."

1976Pa (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "I think this product works to some extent. It isn't a magic bullet for me, but maybe cuts down on the length of a cold sore by perhaps 2 days. It is quite expensive for the extremely tiny amount of product you get. I would caution against buying the pump version of this product, it dispenses far too much of the preciously priced cream and you end up wasting it. Buy the old fashioned squeeze tube instead and apply as directed."

Shane0001 (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2016

Abreva (docosanol) for Herpes Simplex: "Did not work. I used it a day after I felt a small bump. I bought first thing in the morning, used it accordingly and did not see any quicker than usual improvement. Expensive for a very small bottle. I suppose it it did work for me it would be worth it and I would use it at least 3 cycles. However, it did nothing. My advice let it run its course. I'm day 12 now and it's almost gone. Not completely. Highly disappointed with the product."

Claire Davis August 14, 2016