User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Also known as: Valtrex

Learn more about Valacyclovir.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome 1 reviews 10 medications

Cytomegalovirus Infection 1 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 255 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Valacyclovir

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I can remember getting my first outbreak around 14yrs old, I had suffered from chickenpox in my younger days. I didnt know what to do about these sores. I was so embarrassed going to school, would even cry. My parents never took me to the Dr. For this. This continued throughtout my adult life. In 2012 I went to the Bahamas for vacation. Laid out in the sun, enjoyed the ocean. Woke up to tingling...couple hrs later a gigantic blister. It was soooo ugly. Tried to supress it witb alcohol or seabreeze, thats all I had then. As I took flight, seemed like it got even bigger and the itching was unbearable. That was enough. The beginning of this year I finally seeked medical attention. When I say the generic Valtrex is great...! It is!"

LadyTrucker2000 (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've had HSV-1 (Cold Sores) for the past 10 years with a flare-up, in what seems, every 3-4 years so daily prevention was never a big deal to me. At first I'd just hit it with some Abreva and toss a bandaid to cover the unsightliness and in a about 3 weeks, it would go away. My last flare-up, I went to the medic who got me some Acyclovir. Honestly, taking acyclovir did seem to shorten the duration but my sores still lasted 2 weeks. This recent flare-up my doc prescribed me 1 gram of Valtrex, & the blisters appear to be healing after day 3, not week 3. Awesome stuff."

itscoolyo (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it for myself. So maybe you'll have to take my word on it. But this medicine is absolutely a lifesaver. This is my third cold sore. My first time was years ago I had no idea what it was or when I did it was to late and had to deal alone. The second time was a year ago I called my dr who prescribed a round of valtrex, because I caught it kinda early it still progressed but was nothing like the first time. So my third time is happening right now. But since my last outbreak I begged my dr for a daily script . Wednesday I woke with a small lump and I knew. I took 1000mg and watched it slightly raised and I could see the pustules under the bump.. I took another 1000 at night . It never progressed past that."

Hybrids September 9, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I found out I had genital hsv 1 about a month ago. I have never seen a sore or bump of any kind down there, but experienced a burning that I compared to being cut, literally. The doctor found a lesion by the vaginal opening, that looked like little paper cuts apparently. Anyhow the 500 mg Valtrex 1× daily started helping after 2 weeks. The weird nerve-like sensations I was experiencing were all gone after 3 weeks. The only negative side effect is fatigue after I take the dose."

Deet45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

For Cold Sores: "Fantastic! Same as the other reviewers. Take 2mg as soon as the tingling starts, and 2mg twelve hours later. All gone before it really starts. Don't leave home without them! :-)"

JeanSallyAnne August 23, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I would never take the time to do this if this pill didn't truly change my life. I have gotten cold sores for years now, just about every month. I finally asked my dentist if he could prescribe something for me because my wedding is coming up and I DID NOT want to have one on my big day. I have used the medicine twice now.. The first time a blister never even formed I just had the hard bump on my lip and it was gone by the second day. I felt my lip getting hard again Sunday so I immediately took 2 pills and then 2 more 12 hours later. Monday morning I woke up and a small blister had formed(didn't hurt or look bad but I was still worried.) It is now Tuesday morning and my lip is completely healed! This pill works miracles!"

ihatecoldsore (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

For Cold Sores: "This was prescribed by my Dentist. It took another 8 months before I could try it out. I woke up Monday morning to that little swollen hot spot on my lower lip so that was past the tingle phase. I took the medication as directed and upon waking on Tuesday morning it was like it had just stopped any progression. It is now Thursday and it is almost gone. Normally it would have been a mess of open blisters, oozing and bleeding and me knowing it would take another week to see healing start. This medication is almost a miracle as far as I'm concerned. I had no side effects that I know of and because it is a generic, it's not expensive. I would recommend this to anyone."

Millie Kirk (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2016

For Cold Sores: "About a year ago I had gone to my family doctor for another matter while I had this blistery mess on my lower lip. When we finished talking about the matter at hand she offered me a prescription to treat the next cold sore. July 27, 2016 I woke up with tingling and a blister starting to form. Right away I took one dose of my prescribed Valacyclovir and repeated the dose at bed time. This morning, July 28, my cold sore is almost gone. It's about 90% healed. I'll be going back to the pharmacy for a refill so I can have it right at hand in the event of another. One satisfied person here!"

GeoffsVixen (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

For Cold Sores: "I have been getting cold sores ever since I was 5 years old. The sores would pop up, swell and scab over. It was incredibly embarrassing to go to school with scabs on my lips for up to 2 weeks. When I was 14 my doctor prescribed me with Valtrex. It doesn't prevent the sores but does boost the healing time, and make them less painful. The healing time is only about 4 days!"

Macy B July 22, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I am 21 I've had herpes since I was 15 and these pills have saved my life 100% I am now engaged and live a normal life. I don't take them everyday just when I feel an outbreak coming and it doesn't happen! I haven't had an outbreak in 2 years! Strongly recommend valtrex :)"

Happygirl95 July 15, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Dark chocolate triggers it horribly as well as peanut butter. Taking one 500mg a day will supress it and prevent outbreaks but if you get a bad case due to a low immune system or something you ate with high Argine B then I've had to take 2 pills at 500 mg 3 tx a day to get this to work fast and alleviate painful systems within a week. I'm wondering if I would have to take less with more mg or with a brand rather than a generic"

Anonymous July 14, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I gotta say it really works - I thought I had a bad heat rash but it wasn't clearing up I finally asked my mom to take me to hospital and when they told me what it was I said no way and how - I still wonder why it was me out of everyone I got it - makes you feel horrible inside - but it's not the end - I've got a boyfriend who supports me through all this - thankfully he doesn't have it and doctors said I might have gotten it from a past boyfriend - but they gave me a shot in the hip and 4000 mg of valtrex - I went home still think I did not have it and that it was just a basic rash - stopped putting ointments on it and stopped all treatments I did it started to clear up - lab result later said I was positive - I cried - valtrex does work !"

The girl who didn't get away (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've been taking Valtrex for almost 18 years for suppression of cold sores. i would get them all the time before Valtrex, probably like 7 a year. I started with a daily dose of 500mg and would get one every now and again. I up it to 1 gram and haven't had an outbreak in more than 10 years! Now, I'm back down to 500mg and if i feel an olutbreak coming on I'll put a little zoviraz on it with some DMSO after and the sore goes away within 30 minutes. The combination works well. Hope this helps."

DD121212 June 30, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "The first time I tried this I had my first cold sore in months. It was so bad it caused my lymph node in my chin to swell. I took this and the cold sore healed so quickly. I woke up to a cold sore this past sunday took the pills on monday and it is now Tuesday and it is barely noticeable!"

Ashley710 June 15, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I take 500mg valtrex daily as a suppressant,and have done for past 4yrs.I still get the occasional small outbreak and apply wild oregano oil to the infected area.It stings but is absolutely amazing.Its anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal and it clears up the herpes outbreak in rapid time."

Mr H (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2016

For Varicella-Zoster: "Extreme fatigue, falling asleep while sitting, flu like symptoms, unusual dreams, pictures going through my mind, chills, loss of balance,runny nose, lack of appetite, creepy feeling in my scalp, slurring of speech. After the fifth day, I am feeling better, but can't sleep tonight. Blisters are breaking and drying."

Polcat (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "First time I used valtrex, I thaught I was done or almost done with cold sores, it healed up so fast I was really glad something was finally helping me for real. Abreva and all the other stuff don't really work, I'd even say abreva makes it worst. But in the last 5 months I had 2 cold sores unfortunatley, both time I took valtrex as soon as I felt a little tickling. No matter what, both time I woke up with a full blister and bigger. So people saying it stops it right in its track are wrong. But it does help for the healing time. In 5 days its gone. Still better then the 7-9 days i used to go through before. Can't wait till they find a real ''cure'' or at least something that kills the virus for real as soon as you take it."

Mary-Lise (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Zoster: "Discovered rash on a Thursday, prescribed Valtrex on a Friday. Woke up Saturday and rash was still spreading but stopped by that night and began to dry up by Tuesday- no blisters ever formed and itching/pain was very minimal! Side effects only the first day or so, but not positive it was from Valtrex- the sickness/headaches I felt could've easily been from my anxiety. By the third day, any side effects subsided completely and had no issues finishing the medication. After reading stories of shingles sufferers who did not take anti-virals, I am so happy my doctor prescribed this medication. Also, a suggestion, Burow's solution (sold as Domeboro in most pharmacies) helped soothe and dry up my rash quickly! Keep your head up! :)"

Willla (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I am 44. Had a 1st outbreak (genital) after having an UTI. It was a minor outbreak. Sm patch of raw skin and looked like one lesion. It never spread or got worse. I had never had any sort of outbreak ever oral or genital. So, I don't know if I already had it or my partner if 1.5yrs triggered an outbrk or whether it was dormant all this time and getting sick brought it out. I got blood & cult done for hsv 1 and 2 -3wks later but the patch was about 90% healed already w/ no meds but was still prescribed (the generic Valtrex) 1000mg 2x a day for 5 days. Ive been off the meds for 2 days now. I need to see if I get another outbreak B4 just taking meds daily. I had no side effects as I drank water like crazy as it said to do. I'm hoping for the best"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

For Cold Sores: "I have never reviewed anything in my life but had to here. yesterday at about 2pm I get what feels like a pimple coming in but it was right at the same spot I got the sore last year and as the hours past, I could tell from the quick swelling and pain it was a sore. I was soo worried because I wasn't home and had a few hours until I would be and thats where my pills were. I wound up taking two pills, using an orajel once daily AND topped with abreva. today I took one pill, another orajel application and abreva all day. took one more pill at 2pm. I was sure it wasnt going to work but the sore did not burst, still there but has gone down and pain subsided greatly. not sure if it was drugs or the combo but wanted to share what worked for me."

polly2865 April 29, 2016

For Cold Sores: "Amazing results, I am 35 and been getting these on my lips and Nose since I was 16. I always struggled to get them to heal, they usually take two weeks and leave a nasty scar afterwards. I recently went to the doctor because I was getting them more frequently this past year. She gave me the 1gm tablets and told me to take two right away on the onset of the cold sore (tingle stage and tiny bump) I felt it coming in the night while I was sleeping and went to look in the mirror and sure enough I had one popping up. I immediately took two valtrex then 12 hours later took two more, then repeat until all pills gone. The cold sore stopped growing in size. I used compeed patches also. The sore went away in 3-4 days."

nananabooboo April 28, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I took valtrex for about 3 years. I was having terrible side effects after about a year 1/2.. but I did not want an outbreak so I kept taking them. I felt like total crap almost everyday for months. one day and realized I was out of my script and had to call doc for my yearly refill. I stopped taking them! I am a completely different person off of the pills. I no longer feel depressed. I was having all the side effects. I had a dull ache in the right side of my body that radiated form my hip to my breast. A week after stopping the pills all my symptoms were gone and pain in my side gone. I think back to a few weeks ago and never want to wake up eveyday feeling the way I did.i will deal with outbreaks. No more valtrex."

Seriouslyfedup (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have been taking Valacyclovir everyday for 7 years and haven't had a outbreak since my very first outbreak. I'm almost happily married and haven't passed the virus to my wife of 5 years. We gave birth to my daughter who is also virus free. I have truly been blessed and thanks to God and this medicine."

BlessedEveryDay (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 27, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've been using Valtrex for suppression and have not had an outbreak in 1.5 years using it. It's a life saver. Hoping to take it daily for the rest of my life. If anyone has been taking it daily for suppression please chime in, I wanted to know if it has effected anyone in a bad way. I did read one review where someone was using it daily as a suppression for 14 years and it worked and he didn't have an outbreak once but he ended getting allergic reaction and had to stop using it. What a bummer! But yes Valtrex is a life saver."

Johnganonyy April 25, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "After being sick with bronchitis and upper respiratory infection for about 2 weeks, I woke up one morning with cold sores overtaking my whole top lip. I've always taken Lysine and that helps cut back on the length of time for healing when I just have one cold sore. This time, the swelling and pain of having multiple cold sores was just too much to handle. I phoned my dr. and explained that my top lip was so swollen and that eating and drink had become painful. Dr. called in a prescription of 2 a day Valtrex. I took the first one yesterday around noon, by 6 pm the swelling and pain had already gone down. This morning I woke up and while the blisters are still there, it's like it reversed all the sores. No pain or swelling. Just healing!!"

Ibellah80 April 7, 2016