User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Also known as: Valtrex

Valacyclovir has an average rating of 8.6 out of 10 from a total of 423 ratings on Drugs.com. 84% of those users who reviewed Valacyclovir reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompromised Host   10.0
Herpes Simplex   4.5
Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 8.6 423 reviews

Reviews for Valacyclovir

Judi · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2021

For Herpes Zoster: “Shingles of the eye misdiagnosed for 8 days--excruciating pain akin to acute appendicitis and childbirth except it lasted for 8 days. Valtrex started probably 5 days after rash appeared. I was 60% better within two hours of the first dose. 7 days later I'm 90% better. I'm going to continue it for 10 days. Valtrex saved my life, I couldn't have continued the way I was going. I have multiple allergic reactions and intolerable side effects with many drugs so at 74, I only take a reflux med--tried going off it 4 times and just couldn't. I see no reactions to the Valtrex except I'm fatigued--don't know if that's the Valtrex or carry over from shingles attack.”

Chishine · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 25, 2021

For Cold Sores: “I am 59 years old and have suffered with cold sores as long as I can remember, several a year. My last one was so horrible, climbing from my top lip into my nose and to the side of my cheek. My doctor prescribed this medication to me but it was the blue oblong pill. I took it 2 x day for 30 days and have had only a few tingles the past 10 years. I now have the white ones on hand and when I feel the tingle I take 2 x day for a couple of days and the tingle does not flair into the sore. I am very happy with it. I only don't like that it is prescription because my Dr. only prescribes me 4 at a time.”

Confusedlady · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 19, 2021

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Well I don’t know when I contracted it but I got my diagnosis while in nursing school. I got a lesion on my clitoris and my doctor took a sample and sure enough it was hsv 2 . I was sooooo upset , sad . I was always the careful person but I guess not. I was having outbreaks for years but didn’t know it was and outbreak because it was always by my anus. So I thought it was my hemorrhoids acting up. I now know I had it for years. I do take Valacyclovir and lysine as soon as I start having that tingle. By the next day I can feel it subsiding. I take another dose the next day and I’m good. That pain is something I don’t want to go through. It last for 7 days and using the bathroom is soo difficult. I can’t tell last I had an actual outbreak since I’ve been combining it with lysine. Miracle worker those two .”

Andre · Taken for 10 years or more February 4, 2021

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I have been using Valtrex daily since I was 19, now I am 36. It has been a life saver. I only breakout a couple times a year. Once a day and good healthy diet will really help with reducing your outbreaks and most importantly take it as proven to protect 50% to giving to your partner.”

Jenda · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2021

For Cold Sores: “So, I had the itch/tingle thing and was sooooooo bummed. Last time that happened, I took the pills after a cold and when I felt barely a tingle and I had no eruption. This time, I didn't do it quite soon enough and sure enough, my nose (where I happen to get my cold sores annually, it seems) got red, tingly/itchy, just awful. I started the Valacyclovir protocol—and while I had a few white blisters, it interrupted the process and turned into a scab almost immediately. I can't tell you how relieved I am. My last terrible cold sore before Valacyclovir resulted in a facial ulcer—no joke—that was like a blobby hitler mustache. So painful and so unattractive. This time, it seems to have turned it around completely and it mostly not visible. I am THRILLED.”

Lippy · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 29, 2021

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: “Valtrex is amazing! I take 2,000mg 2x a day 12hrs apart at first outbreak & it either completely goes away or only lasts a few days instead of 2 weeks. If you get it early at burning, tingling stage, you won't get one at all. Prior to Valtrex I was taking Famvir, but they didn't work for me. So glad my doctor prescribed this medication... I only buy the brand as I find the efficacy better than generics”

Swan lady · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 16, 2021

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: “This Valtrex is an amazing drug for cold sores! Will stop it cold sores it’s tracks if taken early enough. The only thing I have ever found that actually works!”

HerpDerp January 1, 2021

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Okay. I long suspected I had herpes, I’d notice single outbreaks any time I had a cold. Then when I turned 30 I had an outbreak not associated with a cold at all. I got on 500mg Valtrex immediately and still I was having 1-2 outbreaks a month. So based on that I switched to acyclovir 400mg 2x a day because 500mg valtrex was already more expensive, I didn’t want to pay for the 1G. I did some digging and finally found that this actually is a documented medical experience, published in a couple journal articles. For people with high outbreak numbers 500mg valtrex is ineffective, while acyclovir, 1G valtrex, and famicyclovir are. It would certainly shorten the length of the outbreak to 3-5 days when I took the treatment dose, but did not prevent. With 400mg acyclovir 2x a day, I still get tingling and itching sometimes but it’s been two months and I haven’t had any outbreaks.”

Niki · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 27, 2020

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: “I was diagnosed with HSV 1 and 2, I'm so puzzled to how I got this my last two partner took blood test and neither has it, should they be retested? Back to me I'm on valacyclovir which I take during outbreak 2 for 3 days it helps and I am so happy for that. I can't explain how I hate having anything uncurable and want this to go away. I just try to stay happy although it's super hard my husband does not have it and our sex life has completely stopped. I just want to feel love again.”

Word of caution · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 24, 2020

For Herpes Simplex: “I have been on prophylactic valacyclovir for genital hsv for 2 years without any flares! Before I was getting them every three-four months. I was getting blue pills and it was great but this batch is white and I’ve had 2 flares in the last two weeks. This batch is generic from camber pharmaceutical. Beware, I don’t think it’s effective.”

Anonymous December 24, 2020

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Vatrex is a miracle worker.”

Katherine · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2020

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: “I haven't had a cold sore in years and they put me on valtrex because I was pregnant and I kid you not I started taking it and a week later I got two cold sores near my mouth.”

AnneB · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2020

For Varicella-Zoster: “I started valacyclovir and I am about 2 days into extreme rash, and though it's taken a while for that to dry out, I am now severely nauseated and unsteady. I know steroids can do this, so am drinking plenty of water, and going to cut the dose by a third. The nausea, in particular, is just too much with this drug. (Maybe smaller adults should take less than all adults?)”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2020

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Hey guys, so in July 2019 I had my first outbreak & it was literal the biggest nightmare, I had lesions inside my urethra so peeing was the worst. I had went to the doctors and I was misdiagnosed! They told me it was a yeast infection and gave me medicine for that. Fast forward to October 2020, I had my second outbreak, not as intense as the first but still bad, went to my regular doctor this time and boom, tested positive for type 1 herpes. I had just gotten out of an abusive relationship with my boyfriend and I automatically knew I'd gotten the virus from him. I was broken, depressed and thought my life was over. But valtrex is really a life saver, after 3 days my symptoms started to disappear. Reading you guys’ messages brings me to tears. It lets me know that I'm not alone and my life isn't over. This virus doesn’t define us!! We are just as worthy, just as beautiful as we were before all this. Sending you guys all my love and support.”

Positive in WI · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2020

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I have been on Valtrex for 5 months but still have symptoms. I really wish more was done to find a cure for this. My doctor said they don't even test for it with routine STD testing. I feel like the doctors are failing us when it comes to this. It's a shame.”

Blondie · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 6, 2020

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I'm 23 and I've been taking valacyclovir daily for over 5 years. It's a miracle. I really just wanted to share this hopefully helpful tip with ya'll: I would run out of my script all the time due to various reasons and it would result in a breakout after a day or two of missing my dose. So I told my doctor that I needed to raise/double my daily dose. She did. So now I keep taking the same amount that I've always taken AND I SAVE THE REST OF THEM. THAT WAY I NEVER RUN OUT. I have a few extra bottles full of valacyclovir. That way if anything ever happens I know that I won't have to go without. Because this medication is something most of us will be on for the rest of our lives. So why deal with running out forever if you don't have too? I hope this helps.”

OneQuill · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 5, 2020

For Herpes Simplex: “This stuff valacyclovir does NOT work AT ALL for my cold sores. I've been fighting cold sores for almost a year. Been on this stuff for about 6 months and nothing. Doctor said to increase dosage, still nothing, said to add Abreva topically to it, still nothing. Mine never develop past a blister no matter what I do, just kind of ebbs and flows. C'Mon world there has to be something that works.”

Cheap alan October 5, 2020

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Many comments about the cost of valacyclovir, but do you know that if you cannot afford the drug, you can call the drug manufacturer for major assistance with the cost. Most have a compassionate care department for this. Just ask until you get to the proper place then it is effortless.”

AHW September 30, 2020

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: “Woke to a hard lump which was a few small lumps about to turn into a big cold sore. Took the Valtrex right away and every 12 hours and it never even busted open or got bigger. Been 24 hours and it’s barely noticeable. Best thing for HSV1!”

Sue September 19, 2020

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I got herpes 2 from a guy who said he was STD free and even showed me his results. But of course no herpes results as they don't test for it routinely, it's only accurate when you have an outbreak. I got my tests and all clear. But this guy had herpes and he did not tell me. Cruel and unusual and malicious thing to do. He knowingly gave me herpes. He knew he had it. He told me afterwards. I have been in constant pain for months. Valtrex seems to work. I may have to take it permanently as I just can't stand the agony any more. So much pain.”

D · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 13, 2020

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Generic Valtrex - valacyclovir from Camber does not work for me. I took it for months with nothing changing. I had outbreaks even while on the suggested daily recommendation and when I began breaking out, I’d take heavy doses hoping it would help. It didn’t. As other reviewers have said - it basically appears to be placebo pill. Unless you have insurance and can get the real valtrex - do not support Camber manufacturing. They’ve taken so much money from me and it never worked or gave me relief. I’ve switched over to acyclovir and believe I am noticing relief.”

Flowergirl August 29, 2020

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: “My sister and I have always gotten fever blisters. I’m convinced that we got them from our mom when we were babies because she has the same issue. We both get them on our chins, cheeks, foreheads, nose, lips...you name it! They are very embarrassing and even more painful. They were all over my face, like multiple blisters when I went for my Pap smear years ago. When he saw them, my OBGYN gave me a prescription for once a day Valtrex. I took it daily for a year and didn’t get an outbreak for 3 years. Then, I had to start taking it daily again. After stopping for another year, I started getting them on my cheeks and mouth again. Taking 4 twice a day for one day at the first sight of one hasn’t been helping and another just comes back somewhere else, so I have obtained a 90 day prescription and plan on taking it daily for longer than a year for suppression. I’m so sick of dealing with HSV-1 it’s unreal! Valtrex works if you’re consistent with it and are aware of your body.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2020

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I was diagnosed with hsv 1 &2 1 year ago. I Had my first outbreak when I hit a vaccine shot. I was experiencing outbreaks twice a month so I decided to get on medication daily. I started taking 1g Valaciclovir. Yet, on medication I was still experiencing outbreaks usually during the time I was ending my menstrual cycle. I do have an auto immune condition might this be the reason why I’m having constant outbreaks? Does this occurs to anyone else ?”

Sillybean · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2020

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: “THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT HELPED SHORTEN THE LIFE OF MY COLD SORE so I felt I had to share because I tried it after reading a review similar to mine! Instead of the usual 2 weeks it takes to get rid of mine, it took 6 days!!!! Life changing. Good luck! You’re not alone! So many people have this! I took 2 of the pills twice a day for 2 days I think. The. I took one everyday after even though my doc told me to take one twice a day for 2 days and that was it. But I read other people’s reviews and they took it the way I did- and their doc told them to take that way. If it stops multiplying and changing then stop taking it. If it starts to flare up again, take another.”

Young Shingle · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2020

For Varicella-Zoster: “I am 25 years old and have Shingles for the first time. On day four of taking this valacyclovir medication. While this has certainly reduced the spread of the shingles to a small rash on my side, I have had very low energy, been very nauseous, had headaches and have lost quite a bit of hair from one of the more rare side effects. I do not feel myself and am on edge and in a fog. Just be heads up for some of these symptoms.”