User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Also known as: Valtrex

Learn more about Valacyclovir.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

8.2
Ramsay Hunt Syndrome 1 reviews 10 medications

Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 287 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Valacyclovir

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Had cold sores all my life... got my first breakout at age 15 and it was terrifying I had no idea what they were. Used everything and tried everything and nothing worked! It was hell. In January I went to the dermatologist and he saw that I had cold sores so he prescribed me valtrex. It's life changing, and what I love most is I actually see a change within the first day or second day. It stops the swelling and stops the cold sores from growing... it's amazing. Call your doctor and ask him for some valtrex!"

Lizzy M. March 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cytomegalovirus Infection: "I am immune-compromised from ME/CFS for 17 years. This drug at a dose of 1500 mg/day restored my cognitive clarity to 100%. At only 1000 mg/day my cognitive clarity fell off substantially...a 20 point IQ drop, perhaps. When my MD took away my Valtrex one time because she thought my kidneys were at risk after I had white cells in a urine test, I became pseudo-demented and had to use a three-wheeled walker without Valtrex! I also have vestibular migraine that is treated with 350 mg/day of topamax and it gets worse without the Valtrex. As soon as I went back on the Valtrex, I perked up immediately and didn't need the walker."

Seizethecarp (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was diagnosed w hsv1 + 2 around my buttocks about a year and a half ago. Ever since my initial outbreak I've been taking 500mg of Valtrex daily. I've never experience any side effects -- I also take birth control and drink regularly. I've never experienced a full outbreak since the initial one. Sometimes when I go out of town I'm not great about taking meds and I'll feel symptoms coming on after a few days of missing it, so I'll take 1g for a couple days and then that makes it go away. I don't *think* I have a severe case -- the initial outbreak was extremely uncomfortable, but immediately after taking meds the pain went away followed by the blisters healing. Quick recovery w valtrex -- I doubt I'll ever go off!"

KeepingOn (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cold Sores: "I LOVE this medication!!! I have suffered with cold sores since I was an infant, and it has always been something I just "dealt with"... AKA stay home from school, miss work, hide from the world for 2 weeks 2-4 times a year.. I was prescribed this medication in my late teens and it truly is a miracle drug! I take it as soon as I feel a tingle, or as soon as I see something pop up and it will either A: Get rid of it before it pops up, or B: limit it to the size it is currently and make it go away fast! I always keep some on hand!"

ValtrexLover (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 27, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've suffered with severe cold sores all my life. When I was a kid they robbed me of all confidence and severely influenced the choices I made in life. In my mid-20s I realized that if I avoided UV and certain foods (tomatoes, citrus, chocolate) I could reduce the number of outbreaks, but I still suffered horribly on a monthly basis. Then I had to have eye surgery, and I was prescribed Valtrex to get rid of a cold sore I had at the time. The surgery didn't work out, but I would have gone through the whole painful process again just to find out about this drug. For the past 4 years, if I experience any tingle I take around 10 pills over 36 hours and the outbreak halts in its tracks. Almost no visible problems. Absolutely life changing!"

Born Again (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I don't tend to write reviews but this medication has been such a blessing. It is a horrible feeling knowing that you have this STI but I just keep reminding myself that it is so common. I have been on this medication since July 2016. I was prescribed it after my 1st breakout in June 2016. I have not had a breakout since my initial breakout. My husband has not contracted herpes. I didn't have any side effects when starting the medication. I usually take it faithfully during the week but on weekends I tend to forget to take it."

ONTARIOGIRL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've suffered from cold sore since I was a baby. I remember having 3 at once in middle school and a huge one my senior year. In my 20s, I started to get them 5 or more times per year. The pain was unbearable sometimes as they flared up and weeped. I finally asked my doctor if there was something I could do. She gave me a 90 day script for valtrex and it's been amazing. If I catch it in the tingle stage, it barely forms. One time, I've missed the tingle and a blister has started to form.. it was puffy the next day and then It was flat and not puffy the NEXT DAY! Never broke and weeped, but just gradually went away. I recommend this a million times over."

Leigh18 February 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have been taking Valtrex as a suppression for 2 years right after my initial Hsv2 outbreak, which was THE WORST pain of my life, urinary retention, had to wear a catheter. I refuse to come off this drug because it scared the living heck out of me. I never want to go through that EVER again. Valtrex is my savior drug. My gyno put me on it right after the initial. Cleared me up fast and I have zero side effects (I literally don't even know I've taken the drug) I asked if I can stay on it, as I am more terrified of getting anything like my initial outbreak. Since I have been on Valtrex I have not had any outbreaks but 1 little sore per year will pop up.I even skip days sometimes, but if I do I have this constant itch. Keeps Hsv2 away."

jc22 February 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Herpes Zoster: "I had shingles for 3 months"

Spacy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cold Sores: "Just started using Valtrex for cold sores, I'm 36 and suffered since I was young with these nasty little buggers. I can remember calling off work cuz they are so embarrasing, painful, and just gross in general. I've tried everything over the counter and have read so many reviews and advice on how to shorten the cold sore, I've spent hundreds of dollars experimenting to stop them. I finally went to my doctor and she gave me Valtrex and said take two immediately at first onset like tingle or little bump. Just yesterday I was sitting at my desk and I felt the tingle and tiny bump, I took two valtrex right away, then put a compeed patch over it, took another Valtrex 12 hours later and woke up to lil bump, have to take it right away to work best"

Jennananabooboo February 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Hey everyone So I contracted HSV2 about two and a half years ago. Devastating but my life is not over. I began taking Acyclovir when I had outbreaks, but the occurred about every two months in the beginning, which is not ideal. I started taking Valacyclovir 500 mg daily. It worked (mostly) but I would get one or two outbreaks every couple months. I finally switched to 1g a day. I have not had an outbreak since and I feel absolutely AMAZING. I have been on Valacyclovir for I would say about a year and 4 months. My boyfriend is so supportive and does not have it. I only take it now so that I don't transmit to him. I have a question though: How long can people take it DAILY? Not just for outbreaks? I have been trying to do some research.THANK"

stilllovemyself (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Had a colds for about week tried using abreva didn't help it went to the emergency they prescribed me valtrex right after the first dose you see a major progress the way it looks I may be healed completely in 3days this stuff does work don't waste money on abreva just call your doctor for some valtrex!!!!!"

Female 26 (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Hello, all. I was diagnosed with Herpes Simplex 1 early 2016. Began taking Valacyclovir everyday once diagnosed. It has completely saved my life and my confidence. It's an easy pill to take and haven't had any outbreaks or symptoms since the initial outbreak. If you're suffering... this is the medication to take! Best wishes to all!"

Stoney G January 28, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I am experiencing severe hair loss and breaking of hair and severe dry skin"

ddst January 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cold Sores: "I suffer from chronic cold sores for 18 years. I used to just get them on my lips. The last 5 years I noticed it spread to different locations, but I stopped getting them on my lips (unless I use chap sticks, lip sticks, or etc). My nostrils were constantly afflicted and my nose hurt all the time. In last 3 years I noticed sores on my body that would not heal! My first doctor did nothing to help me, but a year ago new doctor put me on 1G valtrex generic.... after that everything stopped, everything healed. After 3 months we lowered it to 500 mg. I take it daily! Best medicine to help me..... no outbreaks and it has been 1 year and 2 months!"

Jmoreland1982 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Male with genital herpes. One valacyclovir hcl 500mg tablet per day. Never tested one way or another but the doctors indicated the patient is the better judge of the better treatment. The option exists to only take the medicine at the time of an outbreak but the suppression works well without obvious side effects. Best guess 10 years worth of suppression treatment without obvious side effects. And for those rating the drug with a low score please do research on the herpes and valacyclaovir/ Valtrex / Acyclovir. Acyclovir is the least cost 2-3 X a day option but Valtrex (or the generic Valtrex) is a once a day option at a higher cost. Herpes is managed, not cured. Occasionally I forget to take the medicine without issue."

works without issues December 18, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "First time using valtrex(generic) after mixed results with every single treatment out there. First sign was a very small red bump at 9pm, missed the tingle stage. Took 2 1g tablets and started using ice to not let it grow. Fell asleep around 11pm and applied some tea tree oil. Woke up to almost nothing. Small red mark that was not raised or tender. Unnoticeable. Forgotten by next day. Worth every penny"

First timerq December 15, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I've gotten cold sores for years. I've had some disfiguring experiences with larger ones that scab over on or around my lips. They started in my 30's and over thirty years, have always been with me. Sometimes I go for 7-8 months without being affected but they never cease completely. There are times when I get one, it runs its course for about 10 days, then in a week or two, get another that can be more severe. Generally, it works well. Although it is still effective at controlling an outbreak and reducing healing time, it is far from a cure and outbreaks can still result in blisters even when taken A.S.A.P. after first signs. TIMING IS IMPORTANT. Take at first tingle is a good rule but if outbreak occurs during sleep, not much can be done."

ABfan December 9, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Does anyone else take Valtrex everyday for prevention? I am not so sure about Valtrex working for me. When I first started taking Valtrex, over two years ago, my dentist told me to take 4 pills at the first tingle sign and then again 4 pills a certain amount of time later. I always followed the directions. It never really seemed to make a difference, a cluster of blisters always showed up. It might have shortened the healing time. After three months in a row of sores, I called my family doctor in tears. So for over a year and half now, I have been taking a Valtrex everyday as prevention. I think I had an outbreak in the early part of the year and one in November and now one in December. It just STINKS!!"

Kandcats December 7, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Had to stop taking this medicine after 2 pills. Severe side effects included abdominal boating, gas, nausea, and pain. Also had increase tinnitus and head ache. Almost went to "Urgent Care," but symptoms decreased very slowly after 2 days."

skalenACS.net (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I had my first outbreak at 19 and maybe 1-2 minor outbreaks. At 38, my outbreaks became noticeable and frequent- as soon as the itching subsided, it would appear again 3 days later. Then my anus started to itch. After a visit to my gynecologist, I walked away with a prescription for 500 mg of valacyclovir to be taken daily. One week later I had an outbreak similar to my first, except now my buttocks and thighs were included. I had a 1 inch lesion on my inner buttocks and my vagina was swollen and weeping (the itching was unlike anything I've ever experienced). I stopped the valacyclovir after about 20 days. The symptoms abated 3 days later."

CinciTucky November 17, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Hi! I've had fever blisters/cold sores/herpes of the mouth, etc since I was about 2 years old.So I know the horrible way it affects your self esteem. Not sure who kissed me as a baby , but may they forever burn! Ps...don't kiss your babies or let anyone else do it. I've learned a lot about the virus and could tell you many facts, such as its really just a virus. You get it , your immune system fights it , and it dies... but not with out leaving some of its DNA in your body. If you get cold sores, the DNA lingers in a big nerve ganglia in your neck. And no you can't have it removed ,I asked! Valtrex is a life saver. Tell your doctor right away you need a script for 30 w 5 rfls. Be firm. Don't be swayed. Always have 2 on you.Take ASAP."

Person2Person (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cold Sores: "I get a cold sore 1 or 2 times a year, and it quickly spreads to a big sore and then leaves scars. I began taking Valtrex and immediately within 2 days it was under control. The next time I felt that tingling I began using it right away and the next day it was pretty much gone. My Doctor also gave the the ointment to put on my lip which helped 2 x. This is a great medication."

Dancey (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 12, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Herpes Zoster: "I have recurring shingles brought on by stress. The pain lasts for weeks into months and wearing clothes can be agony. It zaps my energy and all I feel is lightning under my skin. It's usually garnished with fever blisters in my nose and left eye and left ear. 3 outbreaks a year was too much emotionally. I take valtrex now as suppressant with no side effects. I recently had a very stressful event that brought them out of hiding and I quickly went to a treatment dose and withing 3 days the blisters were scabbed over and the pain never really got a chance to crescendo . IT'S been 6 days and I feel normal. The higher dose makes me a bit cranky but it's nothing like living with shingles. I feel like I have my life back."

Alex the groomer November 8, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I recently started taking valtrex again for prevention/treatment of genital herpes flare ups and every time I take one I get a cold sore on my mouth. Didn't take valtrex for a few years and never had a cold sore, I had other outbreaks but no cold sores. I got back on valtrex to control the other outbreaks about three months ago and cold sores have been a constant threat."

Fun guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2016