User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome

1 review 10 medications
Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 8.9 331 reviews

Reviews for Valacyclovir

For Cold Sores: "This stuff is amazing!! Seriously, it is magical! I woke up with a tingling on Saturday morning, took one dose (my doctor suggested 1 pill every 12 hours instead of 2), and prayed for a speedy recovery. Unfortunately, I still got a small cluster of blisters, but by Sunday evening, they had receded! It was like they had shrunk back into themselves! I will have these meds with me at all times because this was such a lifesaver! It is now Monday afternoon and I am almost completely healed. Serious miracle worker! I only wish one of my previous doctors had given me this prescription earlier to save myself years of embarrassment and pain!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

For Cold Sores: "I never, EVER write reviews. But you guys.. these pills are AMAZING! I just had not one, but two cold sores about two months ago. (lucky me, right..?) anyway, the first sign on them I put abreva on my lips which by the way, made my lips 10x bigger. I had people ask if i’d been punched in the face. I never will I ever use abreva again. They both lasted for about 10 days. I woke up Friday morning and felt my lip and sure enough I had aother cold sore. I took four pills the second I feel that sucker and then four later on in the evening. My lip did not swell, it was not painful, and you couldn’t even tell I had a cold sore. It’s now Sunday and the cold sore is basically completely gone. These pills are a LIFE SAVER. I will ALWAYS make sure I have a some on me. 1000000/10 recommend these."

thisworks (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

For Cold Sores: "I'm 36, and started using acyclovir at the first sign of outbreak several years ago. I have since upgraded to valacyclovir. Acyclovir made me nauseous and valacyclovir does not (and I am very sensitive to drugs). I only get an outbreak every 6 months-3 years, but when I do, it dominates my life because it is just massive and cannot be covered with makeup. Now that I have a daughter, I need to be extra careful to protect her. FYI - You may be able to ask your dentist for a prescription for just in case you have an outbreak after dental work (due to strain on the lips). Mine gave me a huge bottle full, so I can dose them out as needed."

happylady June 5, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I just found out that I have genital herpes. I was depressed, my ex boyfriend accused me of getting it first where in fact I only had sex with him without contraceptive so for sure he got it first and gave it to me. So my obgyn prescribed me Valtrex Its definitely a life saver for me since the initial outbreak . Expensive but it works"

Helloworld (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: "After taking this for almost 3 years the side effects were hard to notice at first. Head aches was just one slight effect. My tendons in my feet ruptured? That's a strange effect. It isn't listed as even a chance on any side effects. Kidney issues, well what does that do. Effects minerals and bones in your body. After 6 months of messing around on crutches and tons of weird effects, finally figured out the problems is valtrex! Don't underestimate the damage on your kidneys from taking this drug."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "As an anxious person, I was worried when I saw how many pills to ingest and the possible side-effects. Decided to jump in and let me tell you, the benefits outweighed my fears. I could feel it erupting - took the medication and the very next day I was 95% healed. There will be no more Abreva / blistex for me. This is the way to go. Thank you Valtrex. (Took the generic form)"

Isabelle (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was diagnosed with HSV 2 in 2001 after having sex for the first time. I was in so much pain and suffered from urinary retention and had to wear a catheter for about 2 months. I was so embarrassed and depressed. My partner accused me of giving him the virus; however, I was a virgin. I take Valtrex prn and luckily I only have one to two outbreaks a year that last about 3 days and include one to two small blisters. No more urinary retention. I just wish I would have questioned my partner sooner related to a history of STDs."

Kim (taken for 10 years or more) April 16, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was diagnosed with hsv1 genitally and on the face. Just started on valtarex within a short time blisters started eating up. Mine you iIdo get a horrible stinging pain down below thought it was a UTI lab results proved otherwise. I'm struggling with dealing with the news as hsv1 down below is unusal to have. Anyone know of any great support groups. I'm in Perth haven't been able to find any locally"

Missy (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Hi, After suffering these horrid, sometimes extremely painful ugly blisters for years I am glad I found a doctor who prescribed this drug Valtrex. Sometimes my blister would last up to 10 days and then one on each side of bottom cheek! Now at the first niggle I start taking them. I only need to take Valtrex x 2 daily for 5 days and I have relief - until the next big stressful event. But I only need to take them again for 5 days. Happy."

Nemi (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I’ve been using Valtrex for the past 5 years, both episodically and for suppression. I’ve done a year of suppression twice now and have had excellent results both times. Used episodically, I’m always better within three days. It’s been a life saver for me. Just remember, you may have herpes, but it doesn’t have to have you. This isn’t a disease of dirty people or people with questionable morals. It doesn’t discriminate. People shouldn’t, either."

NurseLivesMatter (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I've had coldsores for as long as I can remember. I used to get it every few months until about grade 12 where I would get it 1-2 times every month (and they like to spread). They were so bad that my lips are permanently discoloured. It was a teacher that recommended me to ask my doctor about valtrex and every since then I finally have them under control with only one getting the best of me every few months. If you're someone that struggle taking pills it's going to be hard on you, but it's completely worth it."

Anne.T February 16, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I had never had an outbreak until I reached 71. I wish I had some exciting news about how I got Herpes Simplex. But alas, no. I made up for lost time and had 7 outbreaks in 5 months. Oooh the pain and ugliness. On 8-16-17 I received a shot of Valtrex. It was a miracle. I want to pass on the best treatment is to slather vaseline over all affected areas. It keeps it from spreading and helps the discomfort. Thx"

Big Red Bunny February 16, 2018

For Cold Sores: "I haven't had a cold sore in about 5 years until last fall. Since then I have had 3 and they are so embarrassing and painful. The second recent one I rushed to urgent care after learning about this medicine and was able to get my hands on a prescription (take 1 every day for 5 days). The cold sore had erupted so I missed the tingle stage but it significantly reduced the size, pain and duration of the cold sore. It went through all phases but at a quicker, less noticeable rate. This time I finally noticed the tingle stage and took 1 right away, then a few days later I noticed some bumps but couldn't tell if it was chapped lips or what. Got another prescription (take 2 now, then 2 more 12 hours later). My lips are still a bit chapped feeling but the bumps never filled with fluid or popped. Has just stayed in this stage and now I'm on day 3. This medication is amazing and it may not cure them completely but they come pretty damn close! It's the best and only option for cold sore treatment"

Anonymous February 7, 2018

For Cold Sores: "This generic is so inferior to the name Brand Valtrex . You get what you pay for."

poo poo February 2, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: "Please note that not all generic Valcyclovir are created equal. I have taken brand Valtrex 1000 mg/day for several years. My insurance switched and they will now only cover generic/ValAcyclovir. I tried Milan, Sandoz, Aurobindo and Tera pharmaceutical and had no luck. I finally read a blog where a consumer mentioned that Northstar Pharmaceutical of Valcyclovir was the only one that worked. I tried it and it did work much better than the other manufacturers. Still not as well as brand Valtrex."

Many yrs January 4, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "This has been a wonder drug for me! I acquired this affliction as a teenager, I am now 50. I would get a swollen lymph node in my neck, so I go to my ear, nose and throat doc and he tells me to not be alarmed but I have the virus stored in my neck. He prescribed valtrex around 15 years ago. I take 500mg at bedtime to avoid feeling the side effects. Thank you to the investors of this drug! You have saved me from years of pain!!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2018

For Cold Sores: "Many people said taking Valacyclovir or Valtrex only works if taken at first signs (the dreaded tingles), well obviously it was impossible to take it at the first sign for me since I had to call for an appt with the doc, go to the doc, get a prescription, go to the pharmacy & wait for it to be filled. By the time I had the meds on hand, it was day 2 of a horrible outbreak (7 blisters all over my mouth, filled with fluids and swollen lips) and even though the blisters had formed - I took my doses, & by the next day ALL the swelling was gone, most of them were barely noticeable, and the big ones were already stabbing over and less noticeable. Usually it takes 6 days to scab over & heal & I'm only on day 3."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2017

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Thank you for this medicine! It works unbelievably well. I get mega cold sores they can take over my entire bottom lip. Not only are they embarrassing but also incredibly painful. This medicine works miracles. As soon as I feel that awful itch that indicates the cold sore coming through I take one of these pills and a second 12 hours later. They will either completely prevent the cold sore from coming through or at the very least minimize the appearance and speed up recovery time. Not only that, I used to get a cold sore at least every three months. Now I’m down to about every six months or so. This medicine has changed my life."

Over cold sores November 14, 2017

For Cold Sores: "I've been using this for cold sore outbreaks for about 5 years now. When I feel a cold sore appearing (hopefully before it actually surfaces), I take the standard 2g immediately and 2g 12 hours later. So far, it has worked like magic every time. If I catch it early enough, I see the effect shortly after the second dose. I'll have some swelling and redness, but within a day it kind of shrinks back into my skin and gradually disappears. However, if blisters already appeared and the damage to the skin has been done, I'll have a scab. Either way, the cold sore heals much faster and I've had no side effects."

ihatecoldsores October 18, 2017

For Cold Sores: "So mad, felt what I originally thought was a bump from an allergic reaction to something on my lip turned out to be a cold sore. Ok fine I had just had a fever was sick so I immediately rushed over to the pharmacy got some of these. I took 3000 mg or 3 gm , thinking that it would take it away, mind you I first felt the cold sore maybe an hour at the most before this and still NOTHING helped it from coming!!! Then 4 or 5 hours after I went back to the store to get some aBrieva still didn’t help ! I’ve been taking 2 gms every 12 hours plus the aBrieva and still do not see any type of decrease in my cold sore. Honestly doesn’t work in my opinion."

Mkikk (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2017

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompromised Host: "I caught genital herpes from my Ex wife in 2015, she never told me about the virus. I had it for 2 years with so many outbreaks, and it affected my life.. People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation but herpes has a long term effects on health. The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. Most people have herpes in one form or another, I was first taking Antiviral medicines, such as acyclovir(Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex), are recommended for treating primary genital herpes outbreaks. This medicine can be taken when an outbreak occurs. It can also be taken every day to help prevent outbreaks, it is not a total cure but sure helps"

alexandersam (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Absolutely LIFE CHANGING. I suffered from severe cold sores that would stick around for 3 weeks at a time. I immediately take 2 when I feel one coming on and it INSTANTLY stops it from growing. The last cold sore I had was back in September of 2016, so over a year ago. That's a HUGE win for me. And I was prescribed this drug after I had that last cold sore. I'm not one to write reviews but this has changed my life and I hope it can change yours. I know how awful and depressing it is to get a cold sore so there is hope for us!"

Arnogr09 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2017

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've been taking 500mg a day for about a year now. I couldn't be much more pleased! Before taking this I would start with 1 sore on my lip, then on the other side, then in my sinus (The pain once one's far enough back you can't medicate it- I don't know that words exist for that. It basically shuts you down.) then the other side, or maybe my lip, or maybe down below it is not genital herpes They are small, like the ones on my face.) 2 months, then in another 2-3 months, here we go again. Since being on this they hardly turn up anymore! It might not be a cure, but it's damn close as far as I am concerned. Tiny tingly spots, never break into sores, maybe three times, months apart!"

pmbourque (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 13, 2017

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I just want to say that this med has gave me my life back. I have read some of the other reviews and if you having trouble with side effects from this pill please try a different pill made from a different manufacturer. All of them are different. I hated the Mylan (122) brand. It gave me a headache, couldn't sleep and couldn't focus. I switched to one made by teva and it has been great. No side effects at all."

Lauren558 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 11, 2017

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was supposed to take this for supressive therapy, but I stopped after my outbreak because I couldn't stand the side effects. This pill made me dizzy and I could hardly function at work. I don't know if this or the HSV 1 is worse."

CJ1234 August 30, 2017