User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Also known as: Valtrex

Learn more about Valacyclovir.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome 1 reviews 10 medications

Cytomegalovirus Infection 1 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 273 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Valacyclovir

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I am experiencing severe hair loss and breaking of hair and severe dry skin"

ddst January 23, 2017

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Male with genital herpes. One valacyclovir hcl 500mg tablet per day. Never tested one way or another but the doctors indicated the patient is the better judge of the better treatment. The option exists to only take the medicine at the time of an outbreak but the suppression works well without obvious side effects. Best guess 10 years worth of suppression treatment without obvious side effects. And for those rating the drug with a low score please do research on the herpes and valacyclaovir/ Valtrex / Acyclovir. Acyclovir is the least cost 2-3 X a day option but Valtrex (or the generic Valtrex) is a once a day option at a higher cost. Herpes is managed, not cured. Occasionally I forget to take the medicine without issue."

works without issues December 18, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "First time using valtrex(generic) after mixed results with every single treatment out there. First sign was a very small red bump at 9pm, missed the tingle stage. Took 2 1g tablets and started using ice to not let it grow. Fell asleep around 11pm and applied some tea tree oil. Woke up to almost nothing. Small red mark that was not raised or tender. Unnoticeable. Forgotten by next day. Worth every penny"

First timerq December 15, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I've gotten cold sores for years. I've had some disfiguring experiences with larger ones that scab over on or around my lips. They started in my 30's and over thirty years, have always been with me. Sometimes I go for 7-8 months without being affected but they never cease completely. There are times when I get one, it runs its course for about 10 days, then in a week or two, get another that can be more severe. Generally, it works well. Although it is still effective at controlling an outbreak and reducing healing time, it is far from a cure and outbreaks can still result in blisters even when taken A.S.A.P. after first signs. TIMING IS IMPORTANT. Take at first tingle is a good rule but if outbreak occurs during sleep, not much can be done."

ABfan December 9, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Does anyone else take Valtrex everyday for prevention? I am not so sure about Valtrex working for me. When I first started taking Valtrex, over two years ago, my dentist told me to take 4 pills at the first tingle sign and then again 4 pills a certain amount of time later. I always followed the directions. It never really seemed to make a difference, a cluster of blisters always showed up. It might have shortened the healing time. After three months in a row of sores, I called my family doctor in tears. So for over a year and half now, I have been taking a Valtrex everyday as prevention. I think I had an outbreak in the early part of the year and one in November and now one in December. It just STINKS!!"

Kandcats December 7, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Had to stop taking this medicine after 2 pills. Severe side effects included abdominal boating, gas, nausea, and pain. Also had increase tinnitus and head ache. Almost went to "Urgent Care," but symptoms decreased very slowly after 2 days."

skalenACS.net (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I had my first outbreak at 19 and maybe 1-2 minor outbreaks. At 38, my outbreaks became noticeable and frequent- as soon as the itching subsided, it would appear again 3 days later. Then my anus started to itch. After a visit to my gynecologist, I walked away with a prescription for 500 mg of valacyclovir to be taken daily. One week later I had an outbreak similar to my first, except now my buttocks and thighs were included. I had a 1 inch lesion on my inner buttocks and my vagina was swollen and weeping (the itching was unlike anything I've ever experienced). I stopped the valacyclovir after about 20 days. The symptoms abated 3 days later."

CinciTucky November 17, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Hi! I've had fever blisters/cold sores/herpes of the mouth, etc since I was about 2 years old.So I know the horrible way it affects your self esteem. Not sure who kissed me as a baby , but may they forever burn! Ps...don't kiss your babies or let anyone else do it. I've learned a lot about the virus and could tell you many facts, such as its really just a virus. You get it , your immune system fights it , and it dies... but not with out leaving some of its DNA in your body. If you get cold sores, the DNA lingers in a big nerve ganglia in your neck. And no you can't have it removed ,I asked! Valtrex is a life saver. Tell your doctor right away you need a script for 30 w 5 rfls. Be firm. Don't be swayed. Always have 2 on you.Take ASAP."

Person2Person (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2016

For Cold Sores: "I get a cold sore 1 or 2 times a year, and it quickly spreads to a big sore and then leaves scars. I began taking Valtrex and immediately within 2 days it was under control. The next time I felt that tingling I began using it right away and the next day it was pretty much gone. My Doctor also gave the the ointment to put on my lip which helped 2 x. This is a great medication."

Dancey (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 12, 2016

For Herpes Zoster: "I have recurring shingles brought on by stress. The pain lasts for weeks into months and wearing clothes can be agony. It zaps my energy and all I feel is lightning under my skin. It's usually garnished with fever blisters in my nose and left eye and left ear. 3 outbreaks a year was too much emotionally. I take valtrex now as suppressant with no side effects. I recently had a very stressful event that brought them out of hiding and I quickly went to a treatment dose and withing 3 days the blisters were scabbed over and the pain never really got a chance to crescendo . IT'S been 6 days and I feel normal. The higher dose makes me a bit cranky but it's nothing like living with shingles. I feel like I have my life back."

Alex the groomer November 8, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I recently started taking valtrex again for prevention/treatment of genital herpes flare ups and every time I take one I get a cold sore on my mouth. Didn't take valtrex for a few years and never had a cold sore, I had other outbreaks but no cold sores. I got back on valtrex to control the other outbreaks about three months ago and cold sores have been a constant threat."

Fun guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I typically don't write reviews. But almost a year of taking and not any outbreaks. Great med. And gave me my life back. I am healed in Jesus' name. Hsv- 2 survivor."

Thankful4grace42 November 3, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "have been on Valtrex for about a year on suppressive therapy. works like a charm. no outbreaks. noo side effects. i feel so much better about this."

525i (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I had suffered through many cold sores, and spent tons of money on abreva. When my doctor prescribed me valtrex I was finally satisfied because within the first tingling feeling , and me taking valtrex most times the cold sore just disappears. I can take valtrex at the first symptom , and it's no longer an issue. Most times not even my boyfriend will see the bump , and I have to point it out. I love valtrex, and am extremely happy with my results."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 31, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I have had intermitant Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) since 2012 presenting with viral-like symptoms. My ID Dr. found that a local reknowned University is treating CFS with Anti-Virals and we decided to give it a shot. It took about 4 months to work but at the moment I am currently in a 7 month remission which is unprecedented(the longest remission previous was 2 months.) I still have the fear that my symptoms may one day return but at the moment it looks like Valtrex is keeping them at bay. For CFS sufferers who test positive for HSV-1, HHV 6, EBV etc., I would recommend asking your Dr. about this medicine."

Max7766 October 27, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I got diagnosed with genital herpes in February 2016. I did 500mg for 7 days when I was expecting an outbreak. But I kept getting them. They switched me to 1g daily about 6 months ago and I'm still non stop getting them. I've had 3 that have been so bad and they've left scars. I'm in extreme pain and don't know what to do. Why isn't my medication working?"

Please give suggestions (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have had genital herpes for the past 6 years. I caught it from my partner so I didn't feel the need to use suppression and my outbreaks did get less severe and less frequent over time. I recently got divorced so I got on Valacyclovir as a daily suppressant since it can reduce my risk of passing it to s new partner (using condoms and paying attention to symptoms) to about 1%. I stayed talking it about 2 days into an outbreak and noticed a reduction in symptoms in a matter of hours. The only side effects I've had are a bit of fatigue and dizziness (I also take other meds that cause that so it may be cumulative) and the occasional headache if I don't stay hydrated enough. Totally worth it to feel more normal though."

HSV2 (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "This generic form does not work at all, may be better not not using this drug. Brand name valtrex will clear up the herpes virus infection used for genital herpes suppression but the generic does not. I used brand name before and had up increase dosage one year, I can not help but to think the manufacture has cut some corners in effort to lower the price for patients. Still insurance will not cover the price for a brand name and it's very expensive. I wish the generic work as good as brand name for suppression therapy."

The fact (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 28, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I can remember getting my first outbreak around 14yrs old, I had suffered from chickenpox in my younger days. I didnt know what to do about these sores. I was so embarrassed going to school, would even cry. My parents never took me to the Dr. For this. This continued throughtout my adult life. In 2012 I went to the Bahamas for vacation. Laid out in the sun, enjoyed the ocean. Woke up to tingling...couple hrs later a gigantic blister. It was soooo ugly. Tried to supress it witb alcohol or seabreeze, thats all I had then. As I took flight, seemed like it got even bigger and the itching was unbearable. That was enough. The beginning of this year I finally seeked medical attention. When I say the generic Valtrex is great...! It is!"

LadyTrucker2000 (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've had HSV-1 (Cold Sores) for the past 10 years with a flare-up, in what seems, every 3-4 years so daily prevention was never a big deal to me. At first I'd just hit it with some Abreva and toss a bandaid to cover the unsightliness and in a about 3 weeks, it would go away. My last flare-up, I went to the medic who got me some Acyclovir. Honestly, taking acyclovir did seem to shorten the duration but my sores still lasted 2 weeks. This recent flare-up my doc prescribed me 1 gram of Valtrex, & the blisters appear to be healing after day 3, not week 3. Awesome stuff."

itscoolyo (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it for myself. So maybe you'll have to take my word on it. But this medicine is absolutely a lifesaver. This is my third cold sore. My first time was years ago I had no idea what it was or when I did it was to late and had to deal alone. The second time was a year ago I called my dr who prescribed a round of valtrex, because I caught it kinda early it still progressed but was nothing like the first time. So my third time is happening right now. But since my last outbreak I begged my dr for a daily script . Wednesday I woke with a small lump and I knew. I took 1000mg and watched it slightly raised and I could see the pustules under the bump.. I took another 1000 at night . It never progressed past that."

Hybrids September 9, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I found out I had genital hsv 1 about a month ago. I have never seen a sore or bump of any kind down there, but experienced a burning that I compared to being cut, literally. The doctor found a lesion by the vaginal opening, that looked like little paper cuts apparently. Anyhow the 500 mg Valtrex 1× daily started helping after 2 weeks. The weird nerve-like sensations I was experiencing were all gone after 3 weeks. The only negative side effect is fatigue after I take the dose."

Deet45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

For Cold Sores: "Fantastic! Same as the other reviewers. Take 2mg as soon as the tingling starts, and 2mg twelve hours later. All gone before it really starts. Don't leave home without them! :-)"

JeanSallyAnne August 23, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I would never take the time to do this if this pill didn't truly change my life. I have gotten cold sores for years now, just about every month. I finally asked my dentist if he could prescribe something for me because my wedding is coming up and I DID NOT want to have one on my big day. I have used the medicine twice now.. The first time a blister never even formed I just had the hard bump on my lip and it was gone by the second day. I felt my lip getting hard again Sunday so I immediately took 2 pills and then 2 more 12 hours later. Monday morning I woke up and a small blister had formed(didn't hurt or look bad but I was still worried.) It is now Tuesday morning and my lip is completely healed! This pill works miracles!"

ihatecoldsore (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

For Cold Sores: "This was prescribed by my Dentist. It took another 8 months before I could try it out. I woke up Monday morning to that little swollen hot spot on my lower lip so that was past the tingle phase. I took the medication as directed and upon waking on Tuesday morning it was like it had just stopped any progression. It is now Thursday and it is almost gone. Normally it would have been a mess of open blisters, oozing and bleeding and me knowing it would take another week to see healing start. This medication is almost a miracle as far as I'm concerned. I had no side effects that I know of and because it is a generic, it's not expensive. I would recommend this to anyone."

Millie Kirk (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2016