User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Herpes Zoster
7.9

Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 8.9 344 reviews

Reviews for Valacyclovir

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I took 500 MG Valtrex daily for almost a year while I had insurance back in 2005. I've had herpes since 1980 and I'm almost 59 now...I experienced outbreaks almost monthly for most of my adult life, and often several of them. Right after I got my last tattoo I got FIVE at once. In any case, during the entire time I was taking Valtrex, I experienced ZERO lesions. I finally have insurance again and I asked my doctor for a prescription, which she gave me, but is only to shorten episodes. I really want the daily doses so I can maybe even think about having a relationship with someone. In my book Valtrex is a miracle drug."

Sugar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2018

For Cold Sores: "Sad to say I thought this would work since many people claim its life saving. Took the 2 pills 2 x a day 1g each and it only made it worse. Even tried acyclavoir 400 mg and nothing helps. It has only gotten bigger and more fluid filled bumps visible. Also I never get it on my right lip only left side and after taking acyclavoir I got my first right side sore."

okay24i (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2018

For Cold Sores: "I've been getting cold sores ever since I was little and tried literally everything! Recently my doctor prescribed me valacyclovir and WOW! it's a life saver! As soon as I feel just a little bump forming I take 2 pills and it completely goes away as if I was never about to get one!"

Anonymous August 24, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Absolutely brilliant drug, tried everything calm this horrible disease over the last 6yrs. Started taking valtrex for last few months and feel amazing again, all the tingling and outbreaks have gone."

Jay75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2018

For Cold Sores: "So I was prescribed this medication to take everyday for cold sores on lip. Although I only take it when I feel I might have a sore coming. I probably take one pill a week. This stuff works incredibly well, only had one small break out since taking it (been over a year)."

MM (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2018

For Herpes Zoster: "I'm sure this medication works but I felt depressed shortly after taking it. Experienced periods of eerie confusion. Rapid heart beat. Anxiety. Felt like my throat was swelling up so I ran outside, phone in hand to take a walk and felt much better. Yeah, I won't be taking this one anymore... I am 29 years old, Shingles hit me out of nowhere!!"

Steven August 19, 2018

For Cold Sores: "Best medicine at first tingle or before I go to a dentist I'll take two 12 hours apart and most of the time I won't even get a cold sore if I catch it in time."

Buster72 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 15, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I’ve gotten horrific cold sores ever since I was a kid. There have been many times that I stayed home from work and school because I felt so disgusting, but thanks to this stuff I don’t have to worry about that so much anymore. I had a dermatologist that began prescribing me 1g tablets and instructed me to take 3 whenever I feel like a cold sore might be coming on. That helped me so much! I used to get outbreaks at least once a month and now I only get them 1-2 times a year! Amazing!"

Montyisthebest August 9, 2018

For Cold Sores: "Used the twice daily course of 2 valacyclovir 1 gram tablets on two separate occasions now at the first tingle and didn’t seem to make a difference"

poopjazz (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 9, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I started to get cold sores about 1x/year starting 10 years ago. Tried everything (Zovirax etc), nothing worked. I already had Valacyclovir on hand and ready though it had never worked because I hadn’t taken the right dosage. I would only take 500 mg 2x a day-no help! Friend told me I had to take more than 500 mg. I felt it tingling 3 nights ago, took 1g. Next morning was still tingling, took another 1g. Still tingled, and bumps were forming. Then found this thread, saw everyone took 2 g, so took 2 g that night (2 nights ago now). Next morning, tiny bumps were still there and it was swollen and tingling crazy. Took 2nd batch of 2g yesterday morn. Over the day the swelling went down, the bumps flattened. Tingling lessened a bit. It never turned bright red. Today it’s gone though I swear I can feel a slight tingle, may take a lighter dose to prevent it returning. I never thought it would work. Take 2 g twice. I have the generic brand, not actual “Valtrex”. Crisis diverted!"

Anony August 6, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Amazing drug, been using it during outbreaks for 2 years. Clears up within 3 days normally, and never get open sores while taking it. This drug has made my life so much better during outbreaks. If you don't have insurance though it can cost you $300 plus for a bottle. My advice is to shop around pharmacies first. I started out 1000 mg 3x a day first time. Now only takes 500mg 2x a day for 3 days and I'm good to go. All hope is not lost just because you were unlucky enough to get genital herpes. Each year the outbreaks happen less and less and are never as bad as the first two. It gets better, stay positive."

LivingNormal (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 2, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I recently used Valtrex for my cold sores. I was at work and some time after lunch around 1-2pm I felt a tingle and a weird sensation on my lip. When to the bathroom and saw a little tiny pustule in the center of my lip. I didn’t have any medicine with me at work and wasn’t able to get my first dosage of 2g until 6pm. I woke up and took the second dosage at 6:30am and now it’s gone! Whatever little swelling was there just disappeared. The cold sore never raised or formed. I was able to stop it right in its tracks! Btw I RARELY ever get cold sores. One maybe every 4 years or so but this year I had 2 wishing 4 months time so I was ready with medication on hand just in case and it literally was amazing. A non issue basically. Good stuff!"

Newbie (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 2, 2018

For Cold Sores: "Amazing medication. I took valacyclovir within a few hours of feeling the start of a cold sore. I was skeptical for sure but there was no pain and the skin never broke and developed the nasty painful sore. This medication works! And it’s cheap!!! I get a cold sore maybe once or twice a year. This is my go to medicine FOR SURE!"

Caramel Q (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2018

For Cold Sores: "This stuff is amazing!! Seriously, it is magical! I woke up with a tingling on Saturday morning, took one dose (my doctor suggested 1 pill every 12 hours instead of 2), and prayed for a speedy recovery. Unfortunately, I still got a small cluster of blisters, but by Sunday evening, they had receded! It was like they had shrunk back into themselves! I will have these meds with me at all times because this was such a lifesaver! It is now Monday afternoon and I am almost completely healed. Serious miracle worker! I only wish one of my previous doctors had given me this prescription earlier to save myself years of embarrassment and pain!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

For Cold Sores: "I never, EVER write reviews. But you guys.. these pills are AMAZING! I just had not one, but two cold sores about two months ago. (lucky me, right..?) anyway, the first sign on them I put abreva on my lips which by the way, made my lips 10x bigger. I had people ask if i’d been punched in the face. I never will I ever use abreva again. They both lasted for about 10 days. I woke up Friday morning and felt my lip and sure enough I had aother cold sore. I took four pills the second I feel that sucker and then four later on in the evening. My lip did not swell, it was not painful, and you couldn’t even tell I had a cold sore. It’s now Sunday and the cold sore is basically completely gone. These pills are a LIFE SAVER. I will ALWAYS make sure I have a some on me. 1000000/10 recommend these."

thisworks (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

For Cold Sores: "I'm 36, and started using acyclovir at the first sign of outbreak several years ago. I have since upgraded to valacyclovir. Acyclovir made me nauseous and valacyclovir does not (and I am very sensitive to drugs). I only get an outbreak every 6 months-3 years, but when I do, it dominates my life because it is just massive and cannot be covered with makeup. Now that I have a daughter, I need to be extra careful to protect her. FYI - You may be able to ask your dentist for a prescription for just in case you have an outbreak after dental work (due to strain on the lips). Mine gave me a huge bottle full, so I can dose them out as needed."

happylady June 5, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I just found out that I have genital herpes. I was depressed, my ex boyfriend accused me of getting it first where in fact I only had sex with him without contraceptive so for sure he got it first and gave it to me. So my obgyn prescribed me Valtrex Its definitely a life saver for me since the initial outbreak . Expensive but it works"

Helloworld (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: "After taking this for almost 3 years the side effects were hard to notice at first. Head aches was just one slight effect. My tendons in my feet ruptured? That's a strange effect. It isn't listed as even a chance on any side effects. Kidney issues, well what does that do. Effects minerals and bones in your body. After 6 months of messing around on crutches and tons of weird effects, finally figured out the problems is valtrex! Don't underestimate the damage on your kidneys from taking this drug."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "As an anxious person, I was worried when I saw how many pills to ingest and the possible side-effects. Decided to jump in and let me tell you, the benefits outweighed my fears. I could feel it erupting - took the medication and the very next day I was 95% healed. There will be no more Abreva / blistex for me. This is the way to go. Thank you Valtrex. (Took the generic form)"

Isabelle (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was diagnosed with HSV 2 in 2001 after having sex for the first time. I was in so much pain and suffered from urinary retention and had to wear a catheter for about 2 months. I was so embarrassed and depressed. My partner accused me of giving him the virus; however, I was a virgin. I take Valtrex prn and luckily I only have one to two outbreaks a year that last about 3 days and include one to two small blisters. No more urinary retention. I just wish I would have questioned my partner sooner related to a history of STDs."

Kim (taken for 10 years or more) April 16, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was diagnosed with hsv1 genitally and on the face. Just started on valtarex within a short time blisters started eating up. Mine you iIdo get a horrible stinging pain down below thought it was a UTI lab results proved otherwise. I'm struggling with dealing with the news as hsv1 down below is unusal to have. Anyone know of any great support groups. I'm in Perth haven't been able to find any locally"

Missy (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Hi, After suffering these horrid, sometimes extremely painful ugly blisters for years I am glad I found a doctor who prescribed this drug Valtrex. Sometimes my blister would last up to 10 days and then one on each side of bottom cheek! Now at the first niggle I start taking them. I only need to take Valtrex x 2 daily for 5 days and I have relief - until the next big stressful event. But I only need to take them again for 5 days. Happy."

Nemi (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I’ve been using Valtrex for the past 5 years, both episodically and for suppression. I’ve done a year of suppression twice now and have had excellent results both times. Used episodically, I’m always better within three days. It’s been a life saver for me. Just remember, you may have herpes, but it doesn’t have to have you. This isn’t a disease of dirty people or people with questionable morals. It doesn’t discriminate. People shouldn’t, either."

NurseLivesMatter (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I've had coldsores for as long as I can remember. I used to get it every few months until about grade 12 where I would get it 1-2 times every month (and they like to spread). They were so bad that my lips are permanently discoloured. It was a teacher that recommended me to ask my doctor about valtrex and every since then I finally have them under control with only one getting the best of me every few months. If you're someone that struggle taking pills it's going to be hard on you, but it's completely worth it."

Anne.T February 16, 2018

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I had never had an outbreak until I reached 71. I wish I had some exciting news about how I got Herpes Simplex. But alas, no. I made up for lost time and had 7 outbreaks in 5 months. Oooh the pain and ugliness. On 8-16-17 I received a shot of Valtrex. It was a miracle. I want to pass on the best treatment is to slather vaseline over all affected areas. It keeps it from spreading and helps the discomfort. Thx"

Big Red Bunny February 16, 2018