User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Also known as: Valtrex

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Valacyclovir.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome

1 review 10 medications
Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 9.0 315 reviews

Reviews for Valacyclovir

For Cold Sores: "Many people said taking Valacyclovir or Valtrex only works if taken at first signs (the dreaded tingles), well obviously it was impossible to take it at the first sign for me since I had to call for an appt with the doc, go to the doc, get a prescription, go to the pharmacy & wait for it to be filled. By the time I had the meds on hand, it was day 2 of a horrible outbreak (7 blisters all over my mouth, filled with fluids and swollen lips) and even though the blisters had formed - I took my doses, & by the next day ALL the swelling was gone, most of them were barely noticeable, and the big ones were already stabbing over and less noticeable. Usually it takes 6 days to scab over & heal & I'm only on day 3."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Thank you for this medicine! It works unbelievably well. I get mega cold sores they can take over my entire bottom lip. Not only are they embarrassing but also incredibly painful. This medicine works miracles. As soon as I feel that awful itch that indicates the cold sore coming through I take one of these pills and a second 12 hours later. They will either completely prevent the cold sore from coming through or at the very least minimize the appearance and speed up recovery time. Not only that, I used to get a cold sore at least every three months. Now I’m down to about every six months or so. This medicine has changed my life."

Over cold sores November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "I've been using this for cold sore outbreaks for about 5 years now. When I feel a cold sore appearing (hopefully before it actually surfaces), I take the standard 2g immediately and 2g 12 hours later. So far, it has worked like magic every time. If I catch it early enough, I see the effect shortly after the second dose. I'll have some swelling and redness, but within a day it kind of shrinks back into my skin and gradually disappears. However, if blisters already appeared and the damage to the skin has been done, I'll have a scab. Either way, the cold sore heals much faster and I've had no side effects."

ihatecoldsores October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "So mad, felt what I originally thought was a bump from an allergic reaction to something on my lip turned out to be a cold sore. Ok fine I had just had a fever was sick so I immediately rushed over to the pharmacy got some of these. I took 3000 mg or 3 gm , thinking that it would take it away, mind you I first felt the cold sore maybe an hour at the most before this and still NOTHING helped it from coming!!! Then 4 or 5 hours after I went back to the store to get some aBrieva still didn’t help ! I’ve been taking 2 gms every 12 hours plus the aBrieva and still do not see any type of decrease in my cold sore. Honestly doesn’t work in my opinion."

Mkikk (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompromised Host: "I caught genital herpes from my Ex wife in 2015, she never told me about the virus. I had it for 2 years with so many outbreaks, and it affected my life.. People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation but herpes has a long term effects on health. The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. Most people have herpes in one form or another, I was first taking Antiviral medicines, such as acyclovir(Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex), are recommended for treating primary genital herpes outbreaks. This medicine can be taken when an outbreak occurs. It can also be taken every day to help prevent outbreaks, it is not a total cure but sure helps"

alexandersam (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Absolutely LIFE CHANGING. I suffered from severe cold sores that would stick around for 3 weeks at a time. I immediately take 2 when I feel one coming on and it INSTANTLY stops it from growing. The last cold sore I had was back in September of 2016, so over a year ago. That's a HUGE win for me. And I was prescribed this drug after I had that last cold sore. I'm not one to write reviews but this has changed my life and I hope it can change yours. I know how awful and depressing it is to get a cold sore so there is hope for us!"

Arnogr09 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've been taking 500mg a day for about a year now. I couldn't be much more pleased! Before taking this I would start with 1 sore on my lip, then on the other side, then in my sinus (The pain once one's far enough back you can't medicate it- I don't know that words exist for that. It basically shuts you down.) then the other side, or maybe my lip, or maybe down below it is not genital herpes They are small, like the ones on my face.) 2 months, then in another 2-3 months, here we go again. Since being on this they hardly turn up anymore! It might not be a cure, but it's damn close as far as I am concerned. Tiny tingly spots, never break into sores, maybe three times, months apart!"

pmbourque (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I just want to say that this med has gave me my life back. I have read some of the other reviews and if you having trouble with side effects from this pill please try a different pill made from a different manufacturer. All of them are different. I hated the Mylan (122) brand. It gave me a headache, couldn't sleep and couldn't focus. I switched to one made by teva and it has been great. No side effects at all."

Lauren558 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was supposed to take this for supressive therapy, but I stopped after my outbreak because I couldn't stand the side effects. This pill made me dizzy and I could hardly function at work. I don't know if this or the HSV 1 is worse."

CJ1234 August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "I am 32 I've tried abreva orajel one dose lysine camphor and I would still suffer from horrible cold sores. These sore would swell the right half of my upper lip. I felt like TwoFace. Sometimes I would get one and as soon as it healed another would pop up. I would get very depressed. Last month I got a cold sore I stayed home from work and needed a note to return during this visit she gave me a prescription for valtrex. I filled it even though my cold sore was healing. That day Another one was about to form. I felt it tingle and looked in the mirror and there were 2 small blisters so I hurried up and took my meds. It was amazing it worked so good. I had a tiny bump for 2 days and then it was gone."

Embarrassedduringoutbreaks (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Generic does not work as well as trade brand, Valtrex - not even close"

coldsoresyears (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I contracted herpes 3 years ago at age 38 and was absolutely devastated after having a fun and fancy free sex life my whole adult life. I felt like my life was over. I took a natural antiviral which helped block outbreaks from eating foods high in arginine . But as my job got very stressful, the natural antiviral couldn't block that, and I was getting a breakout every few weeks. I suddenly felt like I had no control. And I was fine until I'd get an outbreak, and then it was an ugly reminder of the person who gave it to me. I went to my doctor and got 500mg per day and it really was a lifesaver! It's great for suppression and I recommend. It gives self esteem back!"

Carmen j (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Hey all! I'm 62 and have lived with it since June of 1978...almost 40 years! Just started Valtrex this summer because outbreaks were literally constant with 3 to 5 lesions at once! The itching...omg! Had to numb with a ice cube in a plastic bag and it worked, too! For some reason, this disease has became worse in the last few years which my ob-gyn cannot understand. Back in the early 80s, Time mag wrote a long article on it as it was newer and b4 the Aids epidemic hit. In it was a line that said, "this thing has a mind of it's own," and "u won't kill it but it won't kill u either!" So true!! Google the article as I found it online a few months ago. And...take care."

Black cats July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "For the last 10 yrs every 4 months the Devils Kiss (aka cold sore) starts generally in the same region of my lower lip. I tried everything under the sun and was prescribed ACYCLOVIR in the past with mild results. I went to Doctor and got this drug prescribed to me, but by this time my CS was already gone as I was traveling, just leaving pink scar for months. I waited and last night I noticed the red bump forming around midnight. Took 2 grams immediately and went to bed with fingers crossed. Woke up, and the sore had not progressed, was tingling but no swelling, no blister cluster, SHUT THE FRONT DOOR. If you are reading this, MUST TRY."

10yr devil kiss (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've been taking the 500mg for 4 years straight now with out one outbreak. So grateful to have found something that works before this I would get outbreaks once every 2 months it was the worst. I would recommend this daily to anyone who has this problem."

Nooutbreaks (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Zoster: "I'm not sure if this medication is working. My oncologist prescribed it to prevent getting shingles (herpes Zoster prevention)"

LSG July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have had herpes simplex for at least 40 years. I also have genital herpes. I used to get terrible cold sores on my lips and face that made me sick, really sick. I have also gotten sores on my arms and back as well as the genital area. I started taking Valtrex about 10 years ago. I now take valcyclovir which is much less expensive. For about the past 8 years, I have been on suppression therapy, 500 mg daily, and I haven't had one outbreak at all, neither on my lips or in the genital area. Before going on suppression therapy, I used to get outbreaks every once in a while. I would never know when it was going to happen and sometimes the outbreaks were so bad I became physically sick. I'm so glad those days are gone."

Great Results (taken for 10 years or more) June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "I have unfortunately been suffering from cold sores since my first outbreak when I was 1 year old and being 34 now a lot has changed. Back in my younger years I was bullied because of these sores that would appear around my mouth. carmex or Blistex did not work and Lysine only assisted a bit. When abreva came out $30 a small tube back then I jumped at the chance to try it and it did help me keep the blisters in one area instead of them spreading more. It wasn't until a year ago "seriously" that I finally brought something up to my doctor who told me about valtrex and I was under the impression this was for genital herpes only. Living in hot AZ has been tough on handling my outbreaks but with Valtrex I can manage them more and love that"

IrishEyez (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I'm 19 years old and I've been getting cold sores ever since I was young...the last few years I would get them a couple times a month sometimes a new one every week. I've been taking valtrex for a few months now and I've gotten only 3 times (which is a major improvement) because I was sick and my immune system was down. But they went away after a day or so. I'm so so happy"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Been taking Daily 4+ years living normal life Had one bad outbreak fall 2012 and then little sensations/paranoid so requested to go on daily suppression and for my boyfriend - he doesn't have and check with my doctor every year Totally safe to continue"

Cutie231 June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Zoster: "Was feeling pain in my back under right shoulder blade for about a week. The pain meds I'm on for chronic back pain didn't even help. Stepping into the shower I noticed a rash and knew what I had... Shingles at 53—and no stress in my life. Never had chickenpox either. Called doctor next morning and given script. Took first two doses day after rash/blisters appeared. Been on for 48 hours (eight doses) and rash hasn't spread, but itching and mild pain persist. I could not imagine the pain I'd have had if I hadn't been taking Norco, cymbalta, and robaxin already. Fingers crossed this continues to rapidly get better."

Bill623 May 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "In my experience this drug made 0 impact at improving the herpes. Additionally it causes non stop panic attacks and real negative feelings I would not recommend this medication to anyone."

Anonymous May 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I can't afford this medication. No insurance and it is ridiculously expensive even though I would love to try it as suppressive therapy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've use this med when I was in high school, it dosen't work at all for me . I was following the dosage and nothing happen at all. With this med I've had the worst and longest outbreak so far it lasted for about 20+ day . I tried polysporin patch it works a little bit. The main thing that I do to heal the outbreak , its taking 750 mg of magnesium a day with L lysine 2000 mg a day with zinc 50 mg a day, potassium works too. The main thing you should focus on its your diet I put some garlic on the sore when it appears but like HELL but it seem to work. For the sleeping time I put ( de l'argile blanc ) from Lancome its a mask that if you apply on the lips and sores it will keep it dry. This is what works for me now. I hope to discover some new remedy in the future. Sorry for my bad english I'm french from Canada and I wish nothing but the best for you all."

Deacon F May 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: "We have had the worse run in our house, our 15months old twins have HSV1 in there mouth!! They were so sick, I caught it off them! Being there mum I would have to apply gel in there mouth, so I did so as normal and then with out thinking I have had to race to the bathroom to use the loo and forgot to wash my hands, now as a result of that I have given myself genital herpes and boy am I mad!! This is the most disgusting thing and painful thing that has ever happened to me! Now hubby and I are worried hubby's going to catch it off me! I'm just guttered by this!! Docs given me some valacyclovir to use but we are 2 days in and my mouth and down stairs areas are still only getting worse! I'm praying things are going to get better really soon!"

Alice glider April 27, 2017