User Reviews for Valacyclovir

Also known as: Valtrex

Learn more about Valacyclovir.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

8.3
Ramsay Hunt Syndrome 1 reviews 10 medications

Summary of Valacyclovir reviews 302 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Valacyclovir

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "For the last 10 yrs every 4 months the Devils Kiss (aka cold sore) starts generally in the same region of my lower lip. I tried everything under the sun and was prescribed ACYCLOVIR in the past with mild results. I went to Doctor and got this drug prescribed to me, but by this time my CS was already gone as I was traveling, just leaving pink scar for months. I waited and last night I noticed the red bump forming around midnight. Took 2 grams immediately and went to bed with fingers crossed. Woke up, and the sore had not progressed, was tingling but no swelling, no blister cluster, SHUT THE FRONT DOOR. If you are reading this, MUST TRY."

10yr devil kiss (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've been taking the 500mg for 4 years straight now with out one outbreak. So grateful to have found something that works before this I would get outbreaks once every 2 months it was the worst. I would recommend this daily to anyone who has this problem."

Nooutbreaks (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Zoster: "I'm not sure if this medication is working. My oncologist prescribed it to prevent getting shingles (herpes Zoster prevention)"

LSG July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have had herpes simplex for at least 40 years. I also have genital herpes. I used to get terrible cold sores on my lips and face that made me sick, really sick. I have also gotten sores on my arms and back as well as the genital area. I started taking Valtrex about 10 years ago. I now take valcyclovir which is much less expensive. For about the past 8 years, I have been on suppression therapy, 500 mg daily, and I haven't had one outbreak at all, neither on my lips or in the genital area. Before going on suppression therapy, I used to get outbreaks every once in a while. I would never know when it was going to happen and sometimes the outbreaks were so bad I became physically sick. I'm so glad those days are gone."

Great Results (taken for 10 years or more) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "I have unfortunately been suffering from cold sores since my first outbreak when I was 1 year old and being 34 now a lot has changed. Back in my younger years I was bullied because of these sores that would appear around my mouth. carmex or Blistex did not work and Lysine only assisted a bit. When abreva came out $30 a small tube back then I jumped at the chance to try it and it did help me keep the blisters in one area instead of them spreading more. It wasn't until a year ago "seriously" that I finally brought something up to my doctor who told me about valtrex and I was under the impression this was for genital herpes only. Living in hot AZ has been tough on handling my outbreaks but with Valtrex I can manage them more and love that"

IrishEyez (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "I'm 19 years old and I've been getting cold sores ever since I was young...the last few years I would get them a couple times a month sometimes a new one every week. I've been taking valtrex for a few months now and I've gotten only 3 times (which is a major improvement) because I was sick and my immune system was down. But they went away after a day or so. I'm so so happy"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Been taking Daily 4+ years living normal life Had one bad outbreak fall 2012 and then little sensations/paranoid so requested to go on daily suppression and for my boyfriend - he doesn't have and check with my doctor every year Totally safe to continue"

Cutie231 June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Zoster: "Was feeling pain in my back under right shoulder blade for about a week. The pain meds I'm on for chronic back pain didn't even help. Stepping into the shower I noticed a rash and knew what I had... Shingles at 53—and no stress in my life. Never had chickenpox either. Called doctor next morning and given script. Took first two doses day after rash/blisters appeared. Been on for 48 hours (eight doses) and rash hasn't spread, but itching and mild pain persist. I could not imagine the pain I'd have had if I hadn't been taking Norco, cymbalta, and robaxin already. Fingers crossed this continues to rapidly get better."

Bill623 May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "In my experience this drug made 0 impact at improving the herpes. Additionally it causes non stop panic attacks and real negative feelings I would not recommend this medication to anyone."

Anonymous May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I can't afford this medication. No insurance and it is ridiculously expensive even though I would love to try it as suppressive therapy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've use this med when I was in high school, it dosen't work at all for me . I was following the dosage and nothing happen at all. With this med I've had the worst and longest outbreak so far it lasted for about 20+ day . I tried polysporin patch it works a little bit. The main thing that I do to heal the outbreak , its taking 750 mg of magnesium a day with L lysine 2000 mg a day with zinc 50 mg a day, potassium works too. The main thing you should focus on its your diet I put some garlic on the sore when it appears but like HELL but it seem to work. For the sleeping time I put ( de l'argile blanc ) from Lancome its a mask that if you apply on the lips and sores it will keep it dry. This is what works for me now. I hope to discover some new remedy in the future. Sorry for my bad english I'm french from Canada and I wish nothing but the best for you all."

Deacon F May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host: "We have had the worse run in our house, our 15months old twins have HSV1 in there mouth!! They were so sick, I caught it off them! Being there mum I would have to apply gel in there mouth, so I did so as normal and then with out thinking I have had to race to the bathroom to use the loo and forgot to wash my hands, now as a result of that I have given myself genital herpes and boy am I mad!! This is the most disgusting thing and painful thing that has ever happened to me! Now hubby and I are worried hubby's going to catch it off me! I'm just guttered by this!! Docs given me some valacyclovir to use but we are 2 days in and my mouth and down stairs areas are still only getting worse! I'm praying things are going to get better really soon!"

Alice glider April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I only take this medication when I feel an outbreak coming. It's a burning sensation in my Vagina. I take two 500mg daily for about a week and a half. I wind down to 1 pill by day 5. I'm in the clear by day 8. The outbreak never comes to blisters. Its like a home run. I only catch an outbreaks once or twice a year. I actually forget I have it until I get the sad reminder. It is usually stimulated by my stress. Hope this was helpful."

Keep the Faith April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Valtrex is amazing! I have suffered my whole life from cold sores, usually covering with makeup, alcohol, abreva (obviously nothing worked) then my doctor suggested valtrex which is phenomenal!!!! My outbreaks only last maybe 3 days compared to 8-12!"

Daniellem88 April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "This drug has been 100% effective, I first start taking 500mg and had just had mild out breaks, decided to up the dose to 1mg a day and had no outbreaks since then. Highly recommend taking it for those who experience more than 12 outbreaks a year."

Joana M April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cold Sores: "Had cold sores all my life... got my first breakout at age 15 and it was terrifying I had no idea what they were. Used everything and tried everything and nothing worked! It was hell. In January I went to the dermatologist and he saw that I had cold sores so he prescribed me valtrex. It's life changing, and what I love most is I actually see a change within the first day or second day. It stops the swelling and stops the cold sores from growing... it's amazing. Call your doctor and ask him for some valtrex!"

Lizzy M. March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Cytomegalovirus Infection: "I am immune-compromised from ME/CFS for 17 years. This drug at a dose of 1500 mg/day restored my cognitive clarity to 100%. At only 1000 mg/day my cognitive clarity fell off substantially...a 20 point IQ drop, perhaps. When my MD took away my Valtrex one time because she thought my kidneys were at risk after I had white cells in a urine test, I became pseudo-demented and had to use a three-wheeled walker without Valtrex! I also have vestibular migraine that is treated with 350 mg/day of topamax and it gets worse without the Valtrex. As soon as I went back on the Valtrex, I perked up immediately and didn't need the walker."

Seizethecarp (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I was diagnosed w hsv1 + 2 around my buttocks about a year and a half ago. Ever since my initial outbreak I've been taking 500mg of Valtrex daily. I've never experience any side effects -- I also take birth control and drink regularly. I've never experienced a full outbreak since the initial one. Sometimes when I go out of town I'm not great about taking meds and I'll feel symptoms coming on after a few days of missing it, so I'll take 1g for a couple days and then that makes it go away. I don't *think* I have a severe case -- the initial outbreak was extremely uncomfortable, but immediately after taking meds the pain went away followed by the blisters healing. Quick recovery w valtrex -- I doubt I'll ever go off!"

KeepingOn (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "I LOVE this medication!!! I have suffered with cold sores since I was an infant, and it has always been something I just "dealt with"... AKA stay home from school, miss work, hide from the world for 2 weeks 2-4 times a year.. I was prescribed this medication in my late teens and it truly is a miracle drug! I take it as soon as I feel a tingle, or as soon as I see something pop up and it will either A: Get rid of it before it pops up, or B: limit it to the size it is currently and make it go away fast! I always keep some on hand!"

ValtrexLover (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've suffered with severe cold sores all my life. When I was a kid they robbed me of all confidence and severely influenced the choices I made in life. In my mid-20s I realized that if I avoided UV and certain foods (tomatoes, citrus, chocolate) I could reduce the number of outbreaks, but I still suffered horribly on a monthly basis. Then I had to have eye surgery, and I was prescribed Valtrex to get rid of a cold sore I had at the time. The surgery didn't work out, but I would have gone through the whole painful process again just to find out about this drug. For the past 4 years, if I experience any tingle I take around 10 pills over 36 hours and the outbreak halts in its tracks. Almost no visible problems. Absolutely life changing!"

Born Again (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I don't tend to write reviews but this medication has been such a blessing. It is a horrible feeling knowing that you have this STI but I just keep reminding myself that it is so common. I have been on this medication since July 2016. I was prescribed it after my 1st breakout in June 2016. I have not had a breakout since my initial breakout. My husband has not contracted herpes. I didn't have any side effects when starting the medication. I usually take it faithfully during the week but on weekends I tend to forget to take it."

ONTARIOGIRL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I've suffered from cold sore since I was a baby. I remember having 3 at once in middle school and a huge one my senior year. In my 20s, I started to get them 5 or more times per year. The pain was unbearable sometimes as they flared up and weeped. I finally asked my doctor if there was something I could do. She gave me a 90 day script for valtrex and it's been amazing. If I catch it in the tingle stage, it barely forms. One time, I've missed the tingle and a blister has started to form.. it was puffy the next day and then It was flat and not puffy the NEXT DAY! Never broke and weeped, but just gradually went away. I recommend this a million times over."

Leigh18 February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Valtrex (valacyclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "I have been taking Valtrex as a suppression for 2 years right after my initial Hsv2 outbreak, which was THE WORST pain of my life, urinary retention, had to wear a catheter. I refuse to come off this drug because it scared the living heck out of me. I never want to go through that EVER again. Valtrex is my savior drug. My gyno put me on it right after the initial. Cleared me up fast and I have zero side effects (I literally don't even know I've taken the drug) I asked if I can stay on it, as I am more terrified of getting anything like my initial outbreak. Since I have been on Valtrex I have not had any outbreaks but 1 little sore per year will pop up.I even skip days sometimes, but if I do I have this constant itch. Keeps Hsv2 away."

jc22 February 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Zoster: "I had shingles for 3 months"

Spacy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "Just started using Valtrex for cold sores, I'm 36 and suffered since I was young with these nasty little buggers. I can remember calling off work cuz they are so embarrasing, painful, and just gross in general. I've tried everything over the counter and have read so many reviews and advice on how to shorten the cold sore, I've spent hundreds of dollars experimenting to stop them. I finally went to my doctor and she gave me Valtrex and said take two immediately at first onset like tingle or little bump. Just yesterday I was sitting at my desk and I felt the tingle and tiny bump, I took two valtrex right away, then put a compeed patch over it, took another Valtrex 12 hours later and woke up to lil bump, have to take it right away to work best"

Jennananabooboo February 8, 2017