User Reviews for Valacyclovir to treat Cold Sores

Also known as: Valtrex

Valacyclovir has an average rating of 9.0 out of 10 from a total of 232 ratings for the treatment of Cold Sores. 88% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 6% reported a negative effect.

Valacyclovir Rating Summary

9.0/10 average rating

Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Cold Sores.

Reviews for Valacyclovir

Anon · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 5, 2019

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I’m 26. I was diagnosed with Herpes 2 years ago. This is my third time having an outbreak on my face, normally it’s just one cold sore that is gone within days thanks to Valtrex. This time, I’m broken out from my nose to my chin. Bumps everywhere! On my lips, above my lips. This is also the first time I’ve experienced the horrible pain associated with oral herpes. It’s dry and feels scabby. I’m three days in, and actually went to urgent care because my mouth was swollen this morning. The doctor told me to take my 500mg Valtrex 3x a day. I’m praying this clears soon because I’m at the point where I don’t want any human interactions, I’m so embarrassed and feel so ugly. Glad to see there’s others out there struggling just like me. Hang in there!”

Anonymous October 29, 2008

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “My face started tingling while I was at work and I had a couple of little pustules starting to form. I put denavir on my cold sore until I could make it to the doctor. 9 hours later my cold sore was more full and I went to the doctor and received a prescription for valtrex. I took my first dose and went to sleep. Later that day I took my second dose and I noticed after my second dose the pustules started to dry up. I read a lot of material saying that you need to take Valtrex before the cold sore actually appears for it to be most effective, but I can truly say that it still works even if the cold sore is visible. I never new that I could get rid of a cold sore so fast. Definitely try Valtrex.”

Desperate Cold Sore Removal · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2013

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “You should only read this review if you have a cold sore that you need to have removed ASAP. I am 18 and in high school so there is nothing worse than walking around school with one. In my situation, I woke up in the middle of the Monday morning with a tingle on my lip. Prom is Friday. I was in panic mode because mine usually last 1-2 weeks. In this desperate measure, my mom called and got prescribed Valtex. I didn't think it would work because the cold sore was completely out and I missed the pre-forming stage. I took 2 Valtex on Monday at around 2 p.m and another 2 before I went to bed. I also applied Denavir. It is Tuesday night and the cold sore is completely gone! It's a miracle!”

runnerguyntx March 10, 2020

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “51 year old healthy male. In my 30's and 40's, I would get the worst cold sores. I was prescribed Valtrex about 10 years ago as needed for outbreaks. The outbreaks lessened in recent years, to maybe 1-2 a year, and shorter/less painful. However, in the last 6 months I've started having recurrent outbreaks, about once every 4-6 weeks, age, stress most likely. My doctor started prescribing me valtrex daily. Today, I got up from bed and had a very small cold sore on the corner of my mouth. Very frustrated and took an additional 1g tablet to help, and thankfully, it hasn't become worse. Will see over time if it works on frequency. I will say, valtrex has helped shorten the duration (now just a few days compared to weeks before), lessen the severity and pain (now small, barely there ones). In rare occasions, I've been able to stop an outbreak before it occurs, but that's so hard to do. I am very empathetic to my fellow cold sore strugglers, and to me the best cold sore is NO cold sore at all.”

Person2Person · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 16, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “Hi! I've had fever blisters/cold sores/herpes of the mouth, etc since I was about 2 years old.So I know the horrible way it affects your self esteem. Not sure who kissed me as a baby , but may they forever burn! Ps...don't kiss your babies or let anyone else do it. I've learned a lot about the virus and could tell you many facts, such as its really just a virus. You get it , your immune system fights it , and it dies... but not with out leaving some of its DNA in your body. If you get cold sores, the DNA lingers in a big nerve ganglia in your neck. And no you can't have it removed ,I asked! Valtrex is a life saver. Tell your doctor right away you need a script for 30 w 5 rfls. Be firm. Don't be swayed. Always have 2 on you.Take ASAP.”

mawatson147 August 6, 2009

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I went to the doctor with a bottom lip full of cold sores. I was swollen beyond anything (anyone remember Bubba from Forest Gump?). The doctor prescribed Valtrex 1 gram, 3 times a day (every 8 hours). Well, 24 hours have passed, my swelling is down to almost normal, and I'm already in the scab stage. AMAZING! I will be keeping this on hand all the time. By the way, I have been suffering with cold sores for 20 years, and have used everything from Abreva to L-Lysine to other homeopathic remedies. These are the quickest results EVER. Definitely worth the money.”

Anonymous July 30, 2008

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I take Valtrex for cold sores. Just taking 2, twice a day for one day, and the next day it is gone. It is really a life saver. Anyone who has ever had a cold sore should really talk to your doctor about keeping Valtrex on hand.”

nursevicccccc October 11, 2013

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “Every time I tell someone about this miracle medicine, I am hoping that they are listening to me. If you get cold sores this is ESSENTIAL. I never leave home without it. I use it in combination with L-Lysine to reduce symptoms. I am getting one right now and did not feel the tingle so I am hoping it will still work. Sometimes there is just no getting rid of a nasty tough one. I am 23 years old and when I have a cold sore I absolutely obsess over it and I try to hide my face as much as possible. I hope they someday find a CURE for this virus but in the meantime Valtrex is amazing!”

JamieMW August 15, 2013

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I was one of those "just live with your cold sore outbreaks" people until I was introduced to Valtrex. Stress triggers my cold sores and I tried everything over the counter. Abreva made my outbreaks worse and I became pretty hopeless at this point. Long story short, at college I had such a big outbreak I decided to see the Health Center & I was prescribed just 1 Valtrex tab about 2 days into the outbreak. The morning after I took the pill, I felt like days had gone by because it had healed so fast. If you get cold sores, you do not need to deal for 10 days. If you take a Valtrex at the first sign of symptoms, either your blister does not even form, or you're looking at a 2 day hassle as opposed to a day 10 disaster.”

VNParker · Taken for 10 years or more November 13, 2014

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I'd suffered quite a few breakouts of cold sore before discovering Valtrex so I know the pain and the lengthy healing process all too well. This literally stops cold sore in its track the moment you take it. Whatever condition the cold sore is in when you take the medicine, it would not get worse, only better so the sooner the better. If you take it AFTER the cold sore has become blister(s), it will stop the blister from multiplying BUT you would have to deal with the blisters bursting exposing the ulcer and then the healing of the ulcer. If you take it at the tingling/itchy stage of the cold sore BEFORE any blister is formed, you should be able to get away with the break out altogether. Goodluck!”

Barbobaby · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 19, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I take Valtrex on a semi-regular basis to help my immune system. For example, I take one per day plus vitamin D and never get a cold sore. I did this for six months so I wouldn't have one at my daughters wedding! They always appear when I am stressed or in the sun. I still take them a few times a week and use an SPF sunscreen everyday which helps a lot. It can be expensive but I will pay anything if it works, forget the over counter stuff.”

mb979877989 December 29, 2014

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I used to get cold sores frequently and have become so anxious about getting them that I keep a script for Valtrex in my wallet. After three years being cold sore free, I felt the burn and saw a patch of redness on my top lip. I immediately went to the pharmacy, filled the script and took my first gram of Valtrex within an hour of the first tingling/burning. I went to bed and woke up perfectly fine [and took the second dosage nonetheless]. I have no cold sore, no redness, nothing. I can't begin to tell you how much of a relief it was to wake up without that horrible throbbing swollen blister. I so highly recommend this. I can't imagine being without it now.”

52yearOld · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “Awesome results. I rarely have cold sores. Roughly one every 2-3 years. Never have had ANY relief from various home remedies or OTC solutions. Cold sore forms in the same place on the upper lip just below my mustache which can be confused in the initial stages with an ingrown hair/pimple. Difference being that hair doesn't form on the lips! Ha. Outbreak swells quickly within 2 days to a nickel sized dimension with an actual open sore (yellow/white) 1/3 the size. I took 2 doses of 2mg 12 hours apart after swelling had started. A small yellow outline was already forming under the skin of the lip and I thought I was going to have another 2 week episode. Woke up this morning and the swelling was down and yellow gone! Really amazing!”

First timerq December 15, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “First time using valtrex(generic) after mixed results with every single treatment out there. First sign was a very small red bump at 9pm, missed the tingle stage. Took 2 1g tablets and started using ice to not let it grow. Fell asleep around 11pm and applied some tea tree oil. Woke up to almost nothing. Small red mark that was not raised or tender. Unnoticeable. Forgotten by next day. Worth every penny”

JoyfulJane April 11, 2015

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “This medication is amazing! My doctor prescribed it to because of the anxiety/depression I had from getting my first cold sore. I went to a baseball game (cold and windy), got drunk and the next day I felt a bump on my lip. I took 4 pills (500mg) immediately then another 4 pills 12 hours later. The sore never progressed and after a few hours the bump was gone! You MUST take them at the first sign of the sore for them to work!! There were no sides effects. These pills are expensive but worth keeping 8 of them on you at all times. They helped me. I hope this helps someone!”

Tee July 11, 2019

“I’ve been getting cold sores since I was a kid. Never bugged me until adulthood, where it became 2 weeks of feeling really sad and unlike myself. After talking to my doctor he prescribed me Valacyclovir and I decided to keep a refill with me. This week I woke up with tingling on Monday. Took my first dose 6 hrs after (4 caps, 500mg). Another dose 12 hrs later. While a small cluster of blisters formed, they were hardly noticeable at all. Today is Wed. evening and the sore is pretty much flat. Never got red, bigger or reached the weepy oozing stage. A little over 48 hrs later and it’s literally gone. Just a small dry patch. I came across this forum the last time I had one and didn’t have access to a prescription. If that’s you, ride it out, but know a game changer is available. See your doctor ASAP & keep capsules handy. Don’t let cold sores rule your life. I never write reviews, but if this can help anyone who struggles and feels hopeless when a sore pops up, I’m happy.”

Hybrids September 9, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it for myself. So maybe you'll have to take my word on it. But this medicine is absolutely a lifesaver. This is my third cold sore. My first time was years ago I had no idea what it was or when I did it was to late and had to deal alone. The second time was a year ago I called my dr who prescribed a round of valtrex, because I caught it kinda early it still progressed but was nothing like the first time. So my third time is happening right now. But since my last outbreak I begged my dr for a daily script . Wednesday I woke with a small lump and I knew. I took 1000mg and watched it slightly raised and I could see the pustules under the bump.. I took another 1000 at night . It never progressed past that.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more January 10, 2014

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I have had cold sores for my entire life. When I was a baby, I used to get them in and around my eyes, which was a terrifying experience for my parents, as I could have lost my sight. I was prescribed Valtrex after I had reached the beginning stages of puberty, and it is absolutely amazing! If you take it right when you feel the tingle, the cold sore will not even appear, and if you take it when the blisters have just formed, they will not worsen. And for those who have a fully formed monster cold sore, never fear! Valtrex will shorten the healing time drastically, for me about 3 days.”

hsvguy March 11, 2014

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “Valtrex is truly the only cold sore medication that will act fast and diminish your pain and blisters within days You will start feeling relief in hours. No other cold sore medication can compete. The only downside is you have to get a prescription for it. Depending on your insurance it could be fair to pricey. If you are like me and suffer from HSV 1 & 2 ask your doctor for 30-60 tablets. Most doctors will only prescribe the recommended dosage for treatment. (5 tablets) with 1 refill. It's such a pain having to go back to doctors when you have a simple outbreak. This will ensure a good supply for whenever you might need it. Always works FASTEST when taken at first sign of sore.”

sylgui · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 31, 2019

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “My dentist prescribed me Valtrex for cold sores I get on my gums (and occasionally on the lips, though that is much less frequent). At the first sign of outbreak, usually a small blister or a couple of them, I take 2000mg every 12 hours for one day. Valtrex keeps it from spreading; I never get any more blisters than on first onset. They also never crack or crust over. Within about 3 days they're completely gone. I swear by this medication for intra-oral cold sores. The only side effect I seem to get is a bad headache. Definitely worth it.”

Anonymous February 24, 2014

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I've had HSV1 ever since I was 2. I had an outbreak then and again when I was 9 or 10. I'd forgotten that I even had the virus until a week ago. I got a new lip piercing and 3 days into the healing, my lip blistered. It had been 25 years since my last cold sore but I remembered what those blisters meant. I wasn't able to get to the doctor until two days later. By then, the blisters had broken open and were all crusted over. I took 2 of the Valtrex as soon as I got them and another 2, 12 hours later. Within a few hours the pain started going away. The terrible burning was gone. It's been 2 days since my last dose and my cold sore is in it's final healing stage. With the little scabs. My lip is flat again & the only pain is from the piercing.”

Lightblueroses · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2019

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I actually am not sure if what I had was herpes but the side effects I experienced from just taking one dose of this drug were scary. I could barely wake up in the morning my head was hurting so much, I felt sick all day, like I was going to throw up, and I took three naps and STILL felt exhausted. I ran to the bathroom a few times thinking I was about to throw up, leaving my 4 month old alone while I did so. And I could not eat anything all day because of the nausea.”

Doc2be · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2016

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “You guys, this medication deserves some kind of award. I have this random patch of HSV 1 on my eyebrow. It flares up a couple times a year. Previously, I have been prescribed acyclovir for breakouts. I wasn't too convinced it really did anything at all, but maybe it reduced my breakout time by half a day. This time, I happened to have a doctor's appointment that fell on day 3 of a breakout, so I mentioned that I wanted some acyclovir to help. My doctor said that was an older medication, and Valtrex was newer and better, so he gave me that. WITHIN 24 HOURS THE BLISTERS ARE NO LONGER BLISTERS AT ALL AND I AM HEALING. They did not burst, they just totally regressed. I took 2 2g pills twice a day for one day. This is a miracle drug. 10/10”

SMM23 July 25, 2019

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I am so happy I found this! Or rather, found a doctor that prescribed it. It’s a Miracle drug! I get probably 4-5 cold sores a year particularly when I’m extra stressed which is always the worst time for a cold sore. I never feel them coming the night before. I always wake up with several blisters that formed overnight. Anyway, I immediately take 2 grams of Valtrex (I always have it on hand! I get my prescription refilled immediately after I use it in prep for the next one). By mid afternoon, it’s stopped itching. I take 2 more grams before bed. The next morning it’s grown a little but not bad. 2 more grams that second morning. By the afternoon of the second day, the blisters are mostly gone and only slight scabs remain. I’m lucky that mine are in the corner of my mouth. You can’t even see it by the second afternoon. I then reduce to 1 gram morning and night for a week just to be sure it’s totally gone (I’ve had them come back!)”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 14, 2013

Valtrex (valacyclovir): “I'm 27 years old and been a cold sore sufferer ever since I can remember. I've Tried everything under the sun to keep my outbreaks under control but nothing seemed to work. I went to my dermatologist and he prescribed this medicine. I usually get about 4 cold sores a year and since I have been prescribed this medicine I literally have not had one! I take 2 pills when I feel it coming on and it stops it dead in its tracks. This medication is a miracle to me, as we all know how embarrassing having a cold sore is. It has saved me from many Friday nights spent in bed hiding my face while all my friends are out and having fun. 10 out of 10!”