User Reviews for Zovirax Cream

Zovirax Cream has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 42 ratings on Drugs.com. 68% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Cold Sores
7.4
Herpes Simplex
9.3
Summary of Zovirax Cream reviews 7.6 42 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Zovirax Cream

John · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 16, 2021

For Cold Sores: “I'm from the UK, and have had cold sores all my life (40s) Zovirax is a complete waste of money. For years I used it because I believed the marketing - and i thought that cold sores just got bigger, but about 5 years ago I tried just leaving well alone. Without Zovirax, they crust faster, don't spread and heal faster and more naturally. With Zovirax, I find it burns the skin, they spread (keep popping up outside the original zone) and scar for longer. I've also not really found that Zovirax prevents them if you get there during the original tingling either. Also - the tube size is a scandal.”

Kirsty123 May 9, 2016

For Cold Sores: “I do suffer from cold sores, especially when I'm stressed. Unfortuently I don't get the tingling stage, I just wake up to a bump on my lip. For anyone that knows me, I absolutely hate cold sores! It makes me feel so crap about myself. I used to suffer really bad to the point it would spread, and it would have 3-4 coldsores on my lips very painful! Nothing would help. Until I found this cream! It is an angel from above, a God send. This cream clears my coldsores up within a day!! So next morning I wake up and it's gone, even when it's blistered, it's gone! It's expensive for a tiny tube but defiantly worth it!!”

Deedee111 November 22, 2015

For Cold Sores: “I have been suffering with cold sores for 20 years now, they usually happen once a year. I am so horrified when they happen, I take work off, and basically live in my house for 2 weeks. I came across a YouTube video after feeling a bump coming on and that's when I came across Zovirax. I thought what the heck I've tried everything else. I went to my doctor same day (thank god I got in). It cost me about 90$ but it was worth it. This stuff is a god send! My cold sore was already at the blister stage so it was day 2. Applied the cream all day for 2 days, you can't even tell I have a cold sore! There is nothing! I wish I knew about this stuff years ago. Would have saved me a lot of agony.”

Cold · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

For Cold Sores: “I'm also from the UK and like most of the comments from the UK, the cream does not help. Again bought some and it seems to make it spread. I'm sure if I didn't use it it would not be as bad as it is this morning. Maybe there IS a difference between US and UK . I must remind myself not to bother with this again.... try something else... pity”

Arjun · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2020

For Cold Sores: “The worst stuff I have ever used. It burnt and scarred my skin. The cold sore was almost invisible, and Zovirax burnt it and thee surrounding skin. It made it look awful, and made it painful, and took three weeks to heal. NEVER AGAIN, Beware!”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2021

For Cold Sores: “Best cold sore cream I've used. Suffer from cold sores frequently and no other treatment has really worked. This, however, eases pain and stops spread and growth in just a few days. As well as this it's so cheap only a few quid. Would highly recommend it.”

Sunny · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2021

For Cold Sores: “Zovirax burnt my skin around the cold sore leaving a red mark 2-3 times larger than my cold sore! It also caused this skin to peel. My cold sore is essentially gone after approximately 6 days but now I am left with a very obvious and huge red mark. If you use this cream and it stings or burns at all when you apply it I would suggest stopping usage straight away. It says that this may be a “mild” symptom of using the cream. I wish I had stopped using it as soon as I felt the stinging sensation.”

Very satisfied! · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 8, 2015

For Herpes Simplex: “I have lived 14 years with cold sores from HSV 1, spending $20/tube on Abreva and suffering from annual break outs, some worse than others, but all embarrassing and painful! I never thought to ask for an prescfription, but coincidentally had a cold sore on my lip when I went to see my OBGYN last year. She noticed it and wrote me an Rx for Zovirax cream, and I let it sit in my wallet for a couple months until I felt the tell-tale "tingling". This stuff really works, and if you apply it early enough, the sore won't even really form or blister and will completely disappear within 3-5 days. It's amazing, and totally worth it. Do yourself a favor and get it! It was only $30, and the tube is bigger than a tube of Abreva.”

Shannon110992 February 4, 2016

For Cold Sores: “living in UK i doubt if the ingredients are changed in zovirax here but I've been getting cold sores (mayby 10-15 a year..) since I was little and have always been using zovirax and now more commonly the compeed patches. The stuff is useless if anything it spreads it around even though I keep immaculate hygene with them, only using cotton but to apply etc. The only thing the cream seems to do is hold it at the stage its at and as soon as the cream is off for more than half a day it erupts again... I can have the cream on for ten days at a time. NOT CHEAP AND NOT EFFECTIVE. HELP”

Jzee · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2018

For Cold Sores: “Zorvirax duo honestly works wonders! As soon as I feel the tingling I lather it on and it’s gone the next day! There are also tablets that you can take but they only work if the cold sore hasn’t appeared yet and you’re only getting the tingling sensation. Just ask for them at your chemist. They’re 3 pills and you take them all at once and the cold sore doesn’t even come up. I got my lips done and I got a cold sore the next day used the cream and it was gone. I went to get them done a second time and took the tablets as a precaution and no cold sore even appeared! Love love love the cream!”

K-Pop · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2015

For Cold Sores: “Honestly one of the best treatments for HSV or coldsores around! I start feeling a cold sore coming on (a tingling, burning sensation) and on goes the Zovirax. Instant relief from the pain and the sore stops in it's tracks! Definitely worth every penny of that ”

Justmakingendsmeet1 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 30, 2017

For Herpes Simplex: “I first contracted G. Herpes and where the semen contacted my skin and I've had eruptions of horrible painful blistering sores. It's first a tingle and I immediately know... I have Valtrex but it takes longer to work even if I take it at first tingle. For my cold sores I used to get sores on my chin, but no longer. I get them on my ear... uh huh that's right. My ear and the small of my back, right where my jeans hit. Once my ear swelled up so much and my neck too, nothing helped but this cream. It stopped my chin sores (underneath where a second neck would be if I had one) altogether. My back sores happen at severe stress, ugh, abreva doesn't help. This cream does 100% for me.”

Girl December 14, 2019

For Herpes Simplex: “I have had a spot come up twice in 14 years on my index finger. Index finger on right hand, infected when worked as a dental assistant on patients. This time they prescribed this cream and I noticed a great change. You never know what you're exposed to in the medical/ dental field. Gloves still tear. But luckily they are Meds to help. This product has lessened the swelling and throbbing.”

AmazedinCanada · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 2, 2018

For Cold Sores: “Zovirax cream is amazing. I hardly ever get an actual cold sore anymore, because I apply the cream as soon as I feel any tingle and it prevents the outbreak. Well, 3 days ago, I missed the tingle because I had a huge pimple forming on my chin, just under my lip, and it was so painful that it masked the tingle on my lip. By the time I woke up & realized what was happening, my lip had already swollen quite badly. I was horrified & thought the battle was already lost, but I immediately started applying Zovirax. My lip still swelled up to 3 times its size over the next 36 hours, but then it started to recede and never even blistered! It is now 3 days after it started & my lip is almost back to normal. I cannot believe it worked when the cold sore had already taken hold, and stopped the blisters from erupting. I love this stuff so much! It cost about $80 for a 5g tube the last time I bought it, but it lasts a long time for me. I always carry it in my purse so I am armed for battle.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 17, 2018

For Cold Sores: “Zovirax does work. The trick is to apply small amounts as soon as possible and as often as possible. The more times you apply the more chances you have of healing quicker. Applying 3 x a day just aint going to cut it. (Every hour or less if you have to)”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 19, 2018

For Cold Sores: “The cold sores usually don't even appear if I apply the cream at the first signs of tingling. Once, I failed to catch the tingly symptoms at the start, and only realised when my lips began to harden and split. I rushed to the pharmacy to purchase Zovirax, and I managed to dodge the embarrassing process of allowing the cold sore to fully blister and crust. I bet no one even suspected I had cold sores. I don't know why everyone is comparing prices here, but it costs approximately USD $15 for a 2g tube where I come from. Just apply a little will do, I'm not sure why someone mentioned finishing the 2g tube within 3 days. It can last me two years, before it expires. Read the directions that it comes with.”

betterdays39 November 17, 2011

For Herpes Simplex: “I got HSV-1 in 2008 from my cheating on my now ex-wife. It was never a problem until a breakout in 2010. I never went on antivirals until this breakout and I now know why this was so bad. In summer of 2010 I had neck surgery and had 4 fusions from c4-c7 and after reviewing this, the virus lies dormant in the base of the neck in nerve are called the ganglion. If you have HSV-2 (genital) herpes it lies in the lower back dormant. So, my first breakout 6 months ago in June 2011 gave me the worst ever making not only a cold sore but fever blister clusters on top and middle lip. Been on acyclovir since July 400mg twice daily. Still barely helped. 3 days ago got Zovirax cream and after 6 months its finally gone. This works awesome.”

HF · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2020

For Cold Sores: “Would highly recommend giving this a go. Was diagnosed with HSV1 cold sores last year and this has by far been my best experience. Had a cold sore first appear yesterday and has pretty much already cleared up after using this Zovirax Duo a few times over the course of 24 hours. Love this stuff!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 16, 2017

For Cold Sores: “OMG LOL extremely ridiculous how Zovirax cream expensive in USA $700 plus! Zovirax cream It costs in other countries less than $20.00 It's very sad how they take advantage of people here in USA. Less than $20. Lol same Zovirax cream. Have mercy on people and stop using them like this!”

NotSpankysGirlAnymore · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2017

For Cold Sores: “Zovirax cream has 50mg of acyclovir in it -doesn't it? It was in the contents ingredients information list. Zovirax cream is a MIRACLE CURE!! Coldsores -dab it on asap a small tiny bit -Bumps on skin like welts or hives (Shingles?) +very painful +scary looking like chicken pox -connect the bumps/dots. It's stress+anxiety like someone else said...lack of sleep+you haven't been eating since the ?other? day+working extra daysTHENnights+ little catnap sleeps+ you find junk sugar loaded snacks +even the fruit+applesauce cups+granola =huge sugar/salt +sugar drinks+ creamy sugar coffee day+night to just get through those sudden double shifts =Reactions- cold sores +hive like sores+ACNE! Omg! ZOVIRAX by prescription will save YOUR day!!! : )”

Anon5463 February 22, 2018

For Cold Sores: “Zovirax works great on cold sores. I use at first sign for a few days and it doesn't even blister. If I get a blister it doesn't get big and dries up 2 to 3 days. Abreva never worked for me. This stuff is great”

GSmith19 December 10, 2016

For Cold Sores: “Had to immediately clean it off my lips. The burning from this cream was far too intense for me. I'm 35 weeks pregnant so my immune system is already compromised. This is the worst cold sore outbreak I've had, where pills, supplements, home remedies, and Abreva hasn't helped. I pray that it clears up soon.”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

For Cold Sores: “Okay so I always had cold sores all my life, one advise, don't use zovirex. It spreads and it leaves a nasty scar which takes ages to heal. Use ordinary Vaseline to keep it moist but only apply small amount, too much moisture can also create the cold sore to worsen. Aqueous worked for me.”

Shocked customer!!! January 22, 2021

For Cold Sores: “Not so much the effect but the affect of opening this packaging? I could not believe my eyes the size of 2g tube? Absolutely shocking to say the least & for £5. Once I pierced it open I could then turn the tube at least 3 times before the cream appeared. I'm sure this is a great product? But will there be enough to get rid of my problem?”

Rip-off · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2017

For Cold Sores: “My son had a cold sores out break, got a Zovirax cream as treatment. It works well but the cream ran out before cold sore. I paid $14 for a tube 2g of Zovirax, the amount of cream not even cover 3 days treatment. The tube with a size of lips sunscreen but the amount of cream inside is ridiculously tiny. Such a ripoff, please consider low income consumer with your products.”

More about Zovirax Cream (acyclovir topical)

Professional resources