User Reviews for Famciclovir

Famciclovir has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 60 ratings on Drugs.com. 73% of those users who reviewed Famciclovir reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host   9.3
Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompromised Host   9.0
Herpes Zoster   8.0
Cold Sores   7.8
Herpes Simplex, Suppression   7.3
Summary of Famciclovir reviews 7.9 60 reviews

Reviews for Famciclovir

Mimi · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompromised Host: “I take as soon as tingling starts- works well- reduces severity and further cold sores starting”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

For Cold Sores: “Gave me heart palpatations”

Anonymous September 16, 2020

For Cold Sores: “First time I took it I got an intense headache but I figured it was worth it to prevent a cold sore but the second time I had horrible heart palpitations. I felt dizzy and weak and it was so unpleasant I will never take it again.”

Williro July 27, 2020

For Cold Sores: “Had cold sores for years. Offered Famciclover 3 tablet dose in hospital last YEAR. It was AMAZING. Then Blood Pressure high & was put on 2 BP TABLETS, investigated adrenals, As I had op ahead, BP must be under control. Since, I've had cold sores x 4, had Famciclover & great results. This time, I had it Mon, felt OK til 4 days later felt weird in head, nausea, was sure BP was up. Home BP test almost 200/98. Had BP tablet (taken off 3 mth before cause improved) drank water every 15 mins. Was red in face felt dizzy & extreme pressure in head. Had 2nd BP tablet & Aspirin. BP 207/107 after midnight. Cried to God for mercy. I slept. Took it easy next 2 days. BP 2nd day, 173/83. Wondered if connection with Famciclover. Googled, found others with similar reactions. Will not be taking again! Will use Colloidal Silver I had great results. Why Increase in Blood Pressure not listed in side effects”

Sherry June 14, 2020

For Cold Sores: “I woke up with a with a cold sore on corner of my lips. Went to the chemist and they gave me this one dose 3 tablets. I took it at 1pm. 30 minutes later my heart started racing and I felt awful. I drank a big glass of water which helped a little. 2 hours later I developed a headache. By night I felt better but still have heart pounding time to time. I suffer form irregular heady beat myself and to experience this on top wasn’t nice. I don’t think I take this ever again and will use cold sore cream instead next time.”

Anderdan · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2020

For Cold Sores: “If you have really bad sores , big sores ? Open the capsule to release the powder put it on the sore directly everyday up to 3 Times a day you will see excellent results !”

Kane November 28, 2019

For Cold Sores: “Its a christmas miracle. I have had cold sores since about 5 years ago - on and off with about a 2 or three year gap in between. This time around I didn't even get the tingle which of course came as a shock to me that after the end of an extremely tiring day I looked in the mirror and there she was - in all her disgusting glory AND right in time for my christmas party in 3 days. I raced straight to the chemist for an over the counter dose of famciclovir. Being my first time using it I also grabbed some compeed pads (which I used for 2 and a half days) as I have found them very useful for hiding the sore. I had no side effects at all from taking the dose and low and behold 2 days later my sore is COMPLETELY gone. No blistering, No scarring, no disgusting fluids, no cold sore. This is the stuff of miracles and I would assume that if I did have the tingle the tiny sore wouldn't have even showed in the first place. I can't recommend this enough - life changer”

TheyStopWorkingEventually · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 2, 2019

For Cold Sores: “I used to get cold sores often. Then discovered over the counter cream that helped at first, but after several uses I stopped feeling tingling before the cold sore would appear, and then it was too late for cream. Used Acyclovir for several years, but not feeling tingling still often took it too late to avoid the breakout. Switched to oral Famciclovir (1500mg x1) and it worked like a miracle for about 2 years. The last time by the time got my prescription from pharmacy it was too late to really work and it did not. Today I applied it at the very first feeling of it coming, and to no effect, half a day later still got my cold sore.”

Red · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 20, 2019

For Cold Sores: “I have used the famciclovir repeatedly for coldsores. I have had no side effects and they have stopped my cold sores every time. I am normally quite sensitive to a lot of drugs so I was pleasantly surprised. I am very susceptible to the cold sores spreading to my nose and eyes (Herpes Simplex) and I am terrified that this will happen so I always keep a packet at home and at work. I cannot recommend this highly enough.”

M August 21, 2019

Famvir (famciclovir) for Cold Sores: “If I get a cold sore, it means that 10 days later I break out all over my body with blisters. The condition is called Erythema Multiforme. It's extremely painful and serious episodes can mean a trip to the burn unit, since each blister is very similar to a burn. Think of a match that burns you beneath the skin. I was diagnosed in 2004 and given large doses of Valtrex and/or Acyclovir to prevent cold sores. Unfortunately, I found these medicines almost worthless. I actually found high SPF lip balm to be more effective at preventing cold sores than these drugs. So in 2012, I gave up on any solution. I googled my condition for the first time in 3 years and learned Famvir cured 3 people with recurring Herpes Induced Erythema Multiforme. I just got meds today, but feel like I'm already rapidly improving. The jury is still out, but if you tried Abreva, Prednisone, Valtrex, or Acyclovir as to treat or prevent cold sores and they failed you, it may be wise to give Famvir a try.”

Hayley · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2019

For Cold Sores: “Had 2 cold sores on my lip, Dr and chemist Recommended taking elovax (famciclovir 500mg) 3 tablet dose. Within 30 minutes of taking it, I started to have severe heart palpitations, severe diarrhea, nausea and restlessness . After a few hours I started to get a headache, within 5 hours my headache had become unbearable and I was rushed to hospital. Placed on 2 drips, and monitored for few a few hours. Over the next few days I am still unwell with stomach pains and a headache. My cold sores did improve BUT NEVER, NEVER AGAIN... DID I MENTION NEVER AGAIN. .. My experience was Awful . I would not recommend taking this medication and wish I hadn't.”

Ressie June 27, 2019

For Cold Sores: “Last time l took famciclovir , it was called famvir prescribed by my doctor to be taken l tablet 3 times a day side effects nil. Outcome positive. Yesterday the First sigh of a cold sore I went to my doctors to get another script for Famvir my doctor said that l don’t need a script anymore it’s brought over the counter. The name has changed to Famciclovir my pharmacist said to take all 3 tablets at once which l did. This time l felt a little light headed plus very sleepy which lasted a couple hours . Apart from that outcome was positive.”

Ziggy June 6, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I am in my 60's and used Ezovir (famciclovir) to suppress the cold sores that I have suffered from since I was about 3. This treatment was used in conjunction with injectable lip fillers (to prevent an outbreak) as over the years my lips have lost their pigmentation and thinned -so I look like a Muppet! I used this medication twice and felt slightly odd but thought maybe I was imagining it, but today (the third time) my pulse started racing and I felt so awful that someone had to come and collect me after treatment as I felt driving was unwise; that was 5 hrs ago and I'm much better but not 100%. I'm pretty fit and healthy with no known allergies, so I guess this medicine is not for me.”

Sydney girl May 4, 2019

For Cold Sores: “I just wanted to comment about the 3 tablets for cold sores. (Elovax one dose) I took the meds on Friday night and now its Sunday. I have had a throbbing headache and nausea all weekend. I am too unwell to do go out. In the past I did not receive these side effects. My cold sore tingle has passed but I'm not sure that these side effects are truely worth it. I'm going to look for natural treatment going forward.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 2, 2018

For Cold Sores: “I am 30 years old and have been getting cold sores since I was a baby. I would have break outs quite often and sometimes so awful where I would have three or four at a time. I never heard of Famvir until recently and it has honestly been a life saver, I cant believe I have gone so long without it in my life. I took it for the first time when I had three huge cold sores and within one day of taking it they had reduced in size, swelling and were not painful anymore- they cleared up a lot quicker and easier than usual. I now take it at the first sign of a cold sore, and occasionally one has already started to develop, and within a couple of hours either it never develops or is dried up and barely noticeable and heals quickly. It is honestly a life saver!! I always have a pack on hand just in case now.”

ColdsoreHater · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2018

For Cold Sores: “I woke to the familiar tingle on my lip and stuck a compeed plaster on immediately. A couple of hours later when the pharmacy opened I bought Famiclovir. The coldsore is much less severe than usual, which would take over half my face, prevent me drinking, eating, and being so self conscious for a whole 2 weeks. This combo of the compeed patch and famiclovir is amazing and lessened the severity of the coldsores by A LOT!!”

Morgs · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2018

For Cold Sores: “Went to the chemist and purchased the tablets within 10 mins of feeling the symptoms, took them within 15 mins - I was really happy I could get onto it straight away.. but through the night I felt my lip start to swell and my skin become sensitive on my neck, face and scalp like it usually does. I started using the patches on my lip the next day hoping to slow it down, but nothing has worked - back to Zovirax now hoping this huge monster will disappear sooner rather than later! I thought the tablets were going to be my saviour.. I am wondering if i should've applied the cream at the same time it took the tablets??”

zaga · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2018

For Cold Sores: “It actually works if taken in first couple of hrs after first symptoms felt. Goodbye to cold sores for me wooohooo I actually cannot believe there is medicine that can stop cold sore stop from coming up”

Elaina · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2018

Famvir (famciclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Dr ordered tests which revealed Epstein Barr, Parvovirus, and Herpes Virus (forgot the number). He put me on 500mg 3 times a day. I’ve only been on it three months so I don’t know effectiveness. I had genital herpes outbreaks fifteen years ago for about a year but none since. I started the medication and had severe headaches that went away after three weeks. No other side effects”

Parkersspace · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2018

For Cold Sores: “I'm 55, suffered with cold sores, almost always at that time of the month they would take weeks to heal. I moved to SC and it got so bad doctors always thought it was shingles and by the time one was clearing the next would start as it would be a monthly thing with the southern sun. Well the prescribed this as a deterrent and zovirax cream. Both were great, I didn't like taking it daily I had some mild side effects so switched to the 1500 mg at first sign and OMG changed my life. Well the other changed my life also since it worked and I quit getting them but once or twice a year. Now I take 3 pills at first sign and almost never actually have a cold sore break out. If i miss it before the blister, it still shortens the duration especially in combo with the zovirax cream. I'm always totally cleared in less than a week now, not 3 weeks.”

Katrun · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2017

For Cold Sores: “OMG!! I am a 55 year old lady who has suffered cold sores all my life. I have regular outbreaks over the past few months, each lasting up to 2 weeks. Broke out Sunday arvo, pharmacy Monday morning. Within 2-3 hours the redness, tingling, pain had settled. By the afternoon the blister had started to dry up and was not so angry looking. I have never used this before and I am "blown away" by how quick this worked after one dose. Brilliant”

EE2017 November 15, 2017

For Cold Sores: “The most amazing thing !! Felt the dreaded tingle Tuesday morning but was out on the water so couldn't get to a chemist for about 10 hours. Took the 3 tablets dose at 3pm. Next morning woke with it tingling and painful worrying it was spreading - by 11am the tingle has stopped and it seems to have stopped it getting to the blister stage !! Praying it stays away for the weekend wedding !!!”

Yellownectarine · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2017

For Cold Sores: “Didn't do anything at all. Used it basically at the first sign of tingling, in combination with Zovirax. Both useless, ended up with a massive lesion on my lip that is still growing. Not sure why it's worked for other people and not me! Worst $30 spent. My home remedy of burning the beginning of the sore with Methylated spirit and Peroxide did a much better job for me in the past.”

Lava Lips September 23, 2017

For Cold Sores: “The side effect of heart pulpitations was really scary. I could describe it to be like a bad ecstacy pill at a rave. I had to pull car over get out and lie on the side of the road, lasting all up one hour. Other than that... Cold sore GONE a day later! Was it worth lying in the gutter for? YES! ”

Uksurreygirl August 11, 2017

For Cold Sores: “Fabulous .. suffered cold sores all my life from that first kiss unbeknown . I spoke with my GP about it she even suffered them too , we did not know they existed I guess the boys didn't either . In my 54 years this is the first year I can say that I have a drug that actually works . I also carry aciclovir tube of cream with me everywhere normally I put it on at night . Maybe I get immune to it but anyways last night I didn't use it and this morning one big cold sore had appeared. Just taken the dose of FAMCICLOVIR ONCE 3 tablets one dose .. I know it'll be fine now too .. I used it before in my travels in oz where I bought it originally costing about £25 maybe expensive but so so worth it.”