User Reviews for Famciclovir

8.2

Herpes Zoster

Summary of Famciclovir reviews 8.4 46 reviews

Reviews for Famciclovir

For Cold Sores: "I am 30 years old and have been getting cold sores since I was a baby. I would have break outs quite often and sometimes so awful where I would have three or four at a time. I never heard of Famvir until recently and it has honestly been a life saver, I cant believe I have gone so long without it in my life. I took it for the first time when I had three huge cold sores and within one day of taking it they had reduced in size, swelling and were not painful anymore- they cleared up a lot quicker and easier than usual. I now take it at the first sign of a cold sore, and occasionally one has already started to develop, and within a couple of hours either it never develops or is dried up and barely noticeable and heals quickly. It is honestly a life saver!! I always have a pack on hand just in case now."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 2, 2018

For Cold Sores: "I woke to the familiar tingle on my lip and stuck a compeed plaster on immediately. A couple of hours later when the pharmacy opened I bought Famiclovir. The coldsore is much less severe than usual, which would take over half my face, prevent me drinking, eating, and being so self conscious for a whole 2 weeks. This combo of the compeed patch and famiclovir is amazing and lessened the severity of the coldsores by A LOT!!"

ColdsoreHater (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2018

For Cold Sores: "Went to the chemist and purchased the tablets within 10 mins of feeling the symptoms, took them within 15 mins - I was really happy I could get onto it straight away.. but through the night I felt my lip start to swell and my skin become sensitive on my neck, face and scalp like it usually does. I started using the patches on my lip the next day hoping to slow it down, but nothing has worked - back to Zovirax now hoping this huge monster will disappear sooner rather than later! I thought the tablets were going to be my saviour.. I am wondering if i should've applied the cream at the same time it took the tablets??"

Morgs (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2018

For Cold Sores: "It actually works if taken in first couple of hrs after first symptoms felt. Goodbye to cold sores for me wooohooo I actually cannot believe there is medicine that can stop cold sore stop from coming up"

zaga (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2018

Famvir (famciclovir) for Herpes Simplex, Suppression: "Dr ordered tests which revealed Epstein Barr, Parvovirus, and Herpes Virus (forgot the number). He put me on 500mg 3 times a day. I’ve only been on it three months so I don’t know effectiveness. I had genital herpes outbreaks fifteen years ago for about a year but none since. I started the medication and had severe headaches that went away after three weeks. No other side effects"

Elaina (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2018

For Cold Sores: "I'm 55, suffered with cold sores, almost always at that time of the month they would take weeks to heal. I moved to SC and it got so bad doctors always thought it was shingles and by the time one was clearing the next would start as it would be a monthly thing with the southern sun. Well the prescribed this as a deterrent and zovirax cream. Both were great, I didn't like taking it daily I had some mild side effects so switched to the 1500 mg at first sign and OMG changed my life. Well the other changed my life also since it worked and I quit getting them but once or twice a year. Now I take 3 pills at first sign and almost never actually have a cold sore break out. If i miss it before the blister, it still shortens the duration especially in combo with the zovirax cream. I'm always totally cleared in less than a week now, not 3 weeks."

Parkersspace (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2018

For Cold Sores: "OMG!! I am a 55 year old lady who has suffered cold sores all my life. I have regular outbreaks over the past few months, each lasting up to 2 weeks. Broke out Sunday arvo, pharmacy Monday morning. Within 2-3 hours the redness, tingling, pain had settled. By the afternoon the blister had started to dry up and was not so angry looking. I have never used this before and I am "blown away" by how quick this worked after one dose. Brilliant"

Katrun (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

For Cold Sores: "The most amazing thing !! Felt the dreaded tingle Tuesday morning but was out on the water so couldn't get to a chemist for about 10 hours. Took the 3 tablets dose at 3pm. Next morning woke with it tingling and painful worrying it was spreading - by 11am the tingle has stopped and it seems to have stopped it getting to the blister stage !! Praying it stays away for the weekend wedding !!!"

EE2017 November 15, 2017

For Cold Sores: "Didn't do anything at all. Used it basically at the first sign of tingling, in combination with Zovirax. Both useless, ended up with a massive lesion on my lip that is still growing. Not sure why it's worked for other people and not me! Worst $30 spent. My home remedy of burning the beginning of the sore with Methylated spirit and Peroxide did a much better job for me in the past."

Yellownectarine (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2017

For Cold Sores: "The side effect of heart pulpitations was really scary. I could describe it to be like a bad ecstacy pill at a rave. I had to pull car over get out and lie on the side of the road, lasting all up one hour. Other than that... Cold sore GONE a day later! Was it worth lying in the gutter for? YES! "

Lava Lips September 23, 2017

For Cold Sores: "Fabulous .. suffered cold sores all my life from that first kiss unbeknown . I spoke with my GP about it she even suffered them too , we did not know they existed I guess the boys didn't either . In my 54 years this is the first year I can say that I have a drug that actually works . I also carry aciclovir tube of cream with me everywhere normally I put it on at night . Maybe I get immune to it but anyways last night I didn't use it and this morning one big cold sore had appeared. Just taken the dose of FAMCICLOVIR ONCE 3 tablets one dose .. I know it'll be fine now too .. I used it before in my travels in oz where I bought it originally costing about £25 maybe expensive but so so worth it."

Uksurreygirl August 11, 2017

For Herpes Zoster: "I noticed tingling and burning on my left thigh one day, as well as increasingly severe back pain. Two days later, I had a light rash that I mistook for razor burn along my bikini line on my left thigh. Two days after that, my OB (I was 31 weeks pregnant) diagnosed me with shingles. I started Famciclovir the next day (went to PCP who prescribed it...long story). My PCP mentioned that the back pain was probably a symptom of shingles, that the area of my back in question was linked to the same dermatome as the rash on my leg. By day 3 on medication, my discomfort had decreased and new sections, while they had appeared, did not blister. By day 5, my blistered section was mostly scabbed over."

mbe (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

For Cold Sores: "Itching started Wednesday around midday, however I mistakenly thought it was due to a pimple I had popped. That evening the itching got worse and the area (corner of my mouth, bottom lip) started getting red - I knew it was a coldsore. I took the 3 tablets before bed and was afraid it may have been too late. Thurs woke up with a slight headache, assumed it was the drugs fighting the outbreak. Fri & Sat, you could see a small blister, a little red, but wasn't getting much bigger. By Sunday afternoon it was disappearing and today (Monday morning) it's almost gone. Relief! Next time I won't hesitate & will take as soon as I feel the itch! Had I not taken them, I assume I'd have developed an ugly CS that would've last till next weekend."

R_Syd (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2017

Famvir (famciclovir) for Herpes Zoster: "I had a breakout of shingles on my abdomen. Took this medicine and the pain and itching went away within a couple of days. I would recommend this to anyone that has Shingles."

R0n January 21, 2017

Famvir (famciclovir) for Cold Sores: "I've gotten cold sores since I was a little kid. I'm now 19 and they're ruining my life. They caused me so much anxiety until I got prescribed this medication. I usually catch the cold sore when it is red and itchy because they often come when I'm asleep. I take the three tablets (costs me around $10 so very affordable) and during the day the cold sore continues to swell and throb as though the medication hasn't done anything. By the next day though I wake up to a dry red patch instead of the usual huge blistering process. This medication means the cold sore lasts maybe 3-4 days but is so much more manageable as it never processes through the disgusting stages. I always have a packet on me."

Sally1674 September 15, 2016

For Cold Sores: "I have a fluidy cold sore on my lip day 2, as I couldn't get any blistex, I've had to try the pills, praying they work as well as blistex, people are saying 4 days ? I bloody hope not , don't right you can kill a cold sore over night with blistex, remember to soak the cold sore and wipe the moist cold sore off , it will bleed , cover and repeat till dead"

Adz88 July 15, 2016

For Cold Sores: "I have had cold sores since I can remember. they've always been hugely traumatic for me and really mess with my self esteem not to mention everyone on here would know they aren't pleasant physically! I've always tried lysine which seemed to help but now that I've discovered famiclovr I realize they were doing nothing. I've taken the three tablets on three occasions now where they prevented a cold sore from coming out altogether! There have been two occasions where I took the tablets when I felt a blister and the blister got bigger however the very next day seems to be nearly gone. Basically, if the cold sore is too powerful/you're too late to take the medicine it still reduces the healing time from 2 weeks to 4 days! Amazing drug."

Sufferer-no-more (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 15, 2016

For Cold Sores: "Took 3 tablets (1,500mg) before my lip blistered, right at the first tingle BUT I still got 2 cold sores. Meds gave me a headache and a stomach ache. Waste of money because it didn't work for me."

Jim Ab (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2016

For Cold Sores: "I always have a packet of this on me. ALWAYS. In the hand bag, in the bedside drawer... it doesn't matter. I feel panicky when I don't have a packet on me somewhere. Many times I've thought I've felt the tingle or seen a tiny little bump, and I've taken the 3 x pills STRAIGHT AWAY and no cold sore has ever appeared. There was one instance when my lip got burnt from too much sun / wind exposure, and my lip swelled up and I had the MOTHER of all cold sores - unfortunately these nifty pills didn't stop that, but definitely cut healing time back to roughly 4 days (instead of 10!). Zinc, Lysine and yoghurt are also very good to take when treating an outbreak. Good luck!"

cold sore lady (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 26, 2016

For Cold Sores: "Cold sore sufferer since child (now 43). Get a cold sore occasionally now (i.e. every couple of months). PROS If you take tablet when feel tingle/itch - have found it stopped outbreak (used twice and it did work) - at least I think it must have (can't be sure I suppose). CONS Don't always experience tingle/itch (i.e. asleep/sick) and cold sore breaks out - then it's too late to take (have tried twice but did not work; in fact, I only had one cold sore on top of lip and took meds but then another broke out next day in corner of mouth). A serious sufferer may not get required results. Expensive (you get 3 tabs for $30 - $40 in Australia over the counter at the chemist). You MUST have these meds on hand i.e. in bedside drawer/handbag"

DICKY BEACH February 14, 2016

For Cold Sores: "This is probably the best thing to have happened to me this year (discovering these magic pills). I had my first cold sore about 6 years ago and had been getting them 3-4xs a year and then it gradually went down to 1-2yr. I would normally let it run its course (usually 2 weeks ), which was not only embarrassing but painful, and treat it with over the counter gels and home remedies. My most recent one came back ALL over my top /bottom lip...so I got prescribed 1500mg, took them the 3rd day (by this day the bumps had already risen up and where visible), packed on some abreva and by morning the bumps were almost gone. My bottom lip cleared out and all that was left on top was redness. I cant stress enough how good these are."

zome (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2015

For Cold Sores: "This drug, along with its predecessor, acyclovir, is a godsend. If you ever suffered breakouts, you know how embarrassing it is to go about your day with a cold sore. If you have to spend the workday talking to people, it's even worse. My breakouts were usually a week long, with the residual scar visible for another few weeks. I take famciclovir at the earliest opportunity. Caught early, I'm even able to stop a full breakout, and only redness remains left to be healed. This drug works so well, I am puzzled by the "remedies" peddled on TV, the internet, and health food stores (Abreva, Bactine, essential oils, lip balms, etc.). Famciclovir/acyclovir is the only thing that has worked for me."

PismoWill (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2015

For Cold Sores: "A friend told me about these tablets the last time i was suffering from a cold sore. At the time it was already too late to take the meds cos it was in full force so I kept the idea in mind for next time. Last Tuesday early morning I felt the coldsore coming out, went to the chemist as soon as it opened and took the 3 tablets (1500mg). By Thursday it was already crusting up and by Saturday (had a wedding to attend) I could cover it up with make up pretty well. I cannot believe how quick this medication works, it saved me a whole week of suffering unnecessarily, not to mention saved me from the embarrassment at my friends wedding. Now I have a spare packet at home, this will change my life!"

EM1981 June 25, 2015

For Cold Sores: "I was getting attacked by cold sores even though I was taking Acyclovir. My Dr had me try Famcyclovir and since I started on it a year and half ago, I've gotten maybe 3 incidences."

Ssimmo April 23, 2015

For Cold Sores: "Outbreak commenced on Sunday - I took the 1500mg dose as soon as I suspected it was a cold sore. The outbreak progressed and on Monday I could feel/see the bumps/redness and the itching was getting much worse. Today (Tuesday) the bumps are nearly gone and the redness is abating with no abnormal sensations. Wonderful to have this product after 30 years of living with cold sores that last for 14 days from start/finish."

MikeyOz March 16, 2015