User Reviews for Abreva

4.6

Summary of Abreva reviews 4.7 319 reviews

Reviews for Abreva

Tommy July 19, 2019

"I also used abreva in the past whenever I got a cold sore. This particular time I used Abreva and the symptoms got worse. Once I applied abreva I went from one small sore in corner of mouth to at least 3 more bumps on bottom of lip. I had to go get another over the counter medicine and it worked instantly. The FDA needs to take this expensive rubbish off the shelves. They are ripping people off!!!!"

Yikes July 18, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "Wow! Crazy reading through all of these comments! I count myself lucky, I usually only get one blister a year in the spring as the weather heats up. This year I've been traveling a lot more for work to some warm dry climates. I've had to deal with them more than usual. I typically rely on valtrex however being on the road and running out of my prescription has caused me to turn to other methods. Fortunately abreva didn't make it worse but it certainly didn't help either. I heard great things about it in the past it's a shame that it no longer holds any value. Curious to learn how others deal with the annoying little blisters when in a pinch if valtrex isn't available or an option? Anyone have any recommendations?"

Abrevanomore · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I just had an outbreak this morning and only got to the pharmacy this afternoon to buy the abreva which surprisingly was on special for $15.99 instead of $20.99. I put it on and within hours, and in comparison to earlier in the day the 3 little blisters were noticeably more swollen and bubbly. It's my first time using this product and I am truly disappointed given the rap sheet it had before. I'm looking for alternatives now."

TexasVictim · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "Ive been getting cold sores for 10 years now. I bought Abreva to help speed along the healing process. Its embarassing having cold sores at work. Big mistake. I still have the cold sore and its even bigger and grosser. Without Abreva they're usually gone within a couple days. Throw it away... Do not buy this product. I quit my job because I was being treated poorly by my coworkers. Do not buy. Does not help cold sores at all."

Kp July 15, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "For the last three years I’ve gotten a cold sore in the summer time. Usually induced by stress and hormones and sunshine. This past week I felt the tingle on my lip and went to Walgreens immediately to get Abreva. It has worked in the past- drying up the sore and allowing me to move on with life. However, this time it made my cold sore way worse. It spread onto my cheek and to the other side of my lip. The product is so runny that it naturally spreads throughout your face when you go to rub it in. My face has been burning for two days now. I’ve been applying ice and warm towels to my face. I even took out my 800 my ibuprofen I was given 6 months ago for postpartum recovery because the pain was that bad. I spent a whole day with a headache and feeling all around ill. Needless to say, this product is a scam and needs to be removed from the market. Thank you to those who shared alternative ways for relief."

brad · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "Completely escalated my symptoms. I cannot believe this is happening! Stay away from this product!"

AshM · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 13, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "Abreva doesn't work! I'm not sure what's changed (their formula?) But I used to use it and be fine. Cold sore would heal and go away quickly. But now, it doesn't! It makes it 10xs worse!! I go from one tiny bump, put it on, and within 2 hours have tons going down from my lip. Now I have 8 little bumps. Ridiculous!!!"

Michelle July 6, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I have used Abreva for many years with the tingling beginning of a blister on my lips. It has always worked exceptionally well. Recently I got a blister on my chin, while nothing on my lips. I put abreva on it and it did not respond at all like it had before. This time more popped up and it seemed abreva did nothing. My coworker had shingles at the same time and I am wondering if the blisters on my chin were slightly different than what I had had on my lips before?"

Unhappy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 5, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I've been using Abreva for about a year, they definitely changed the formula this time around. I put it on once, where in the past when I used it , it would just scab up, now it turns into about 12 sores, all down my lip, under my lip towards my chin, caused a burn on my actual skin, its tearing me up! $18 a tube and its just adding to my sores and pain! These things are already embarrassing because people want to act like they're not common or whatever but they are common and I've seen children with them. This was the only stuff that worked for me and now here we go. Thanks a lot Abreva"

Me! · Taken for less than 1 month July 4, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "When I got my cold sore it was small I used this soon I got it. Later that damn day it was huge I had to go to the doctor to get cream."

Upset user of abreva · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I've gotten cold sores since I was younger and they're always about the same until I bought Abreva last night, HUGE MISTAKE! It got so much bigger and extra blisters spreading onto my face under my lip. Went to doctors today and she said that my cold sore had gotten severely infected. She prescribed me valacyclovir 1G to be taken 3x daily for 7 days! DON'T EVER USE ABREVA!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous June 21, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I just joined the pool of unfortunate souls who fell victim to this harmful product. It's overpriced, the applicator isn't user friendly, and yes, it made the cold sore way worse than it's ever been before. I usually get these sores right after having the flu. Sometimes, they're barely visible. This time, I had one tiny little spot in the center of my lip. I applied the product generously to the entire area. The entire bottom lip blew up within a few hours. There needs to be class action lawsuit and a recall of this horrible product."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "ABREVA DOES NOT WORK!!! FDA needs to ban it from the market! If I could post a picture, I would! I agree with everyone else’s statements! Use Valtrex if you’re not allergic to it! Attack unsightly cold sore blisters as soon as they appear with Campho-Phenique Max strength! Throw away the Abreva in your drawer right now! Do it now! It does not work! I used it at the first sign of the tingle! 3 hours later, my entire left side of my lip was swollen and a large cluster of blisters were visible! Talk about embarrassing! We need to start a petition to get Abreva off the market! It is a scam!!!! Used a q-tip to apply it! Ha! The end result- a swollen upper lip that’s semi hardened on that side with multiple blisters! I have used in the past. I will say within the last 8-10 years, I believe they have secretly changed the formulation especially if you’re applying it at the first indication of a cold sore/ fever blister!"

Tao · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I agree with everyone here that says it made their cold sore 10x worse. I get cold sores like once a twice a year and the last time I started to get one, I immediately applied abreva and the next day my lip was enormously swollen and spread to my bottom lip..I personally feel the best thing for cold sores Is to apply orajel for cold sores to it, ibuprofen for pain, benadryl for the itching and to use peroxide to clean it with cotton balls or just pouring it over affected area. Abreva is awful and not to mention ridiculously expensive!!"

Izzy · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "They must have changed the formula?!?! I'm having the same awful experience most of you are. Felt the tingle Ran to the pharmacy as fast as I could(drove) When I got there in the morning there was only the $40 2 pack and nothing else on the shelf?! I didn't have a choice. Got it and it's the most massacistic way I've ever spent money. Put it on. Took a nap (keeping my face positioned up,) and woke up two hrs later to my lip swollen 4x the normal size. Three massive blisters spanned my lip after using this product. It used to help me in the past and now my worst nightmare has happened. I'm too embarrassed to go to work like this and can't concentrate on anything but the throbbing pain that feels like my lip will actually burst."

Halalag · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 9, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I have used abreva multiple times and don’t feel that it’s helpful. It does make it more swollen but allows it the crust faster but drying it out. I don’t use it anymore but strongly encourage people to ask their docs for valtrex. It’s a pill mediation specifically for herpes 1 or 2 - the virus that causes the blisters. Works super well!!! I’ll have a tiny bump and take one pill and it’ll be gone the next day. It never gets bigger as long as I take it right away. The process is much more manageable and less embarrassing since it rarely ever gets to the scabbing stage."

S June 6, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I get cold sores maybe once a year and usually just wait for them to go away on their own. Decided to try Abreva this time around. Worst mistake of my life. Within a few days of using the cream it had spread to a painful quarter-sized patch of fluid-filled blisters all over my upper lip and the skin below my nose. I've NEVER seen anything like it; it was so hideous that people would flinch when they looked at me (as I still had to go to work and have a life while this was going on). Took almost three months to heal, and I still have a scar from it. I don't know what they put in Abreva but stay away."

April June 6, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "Used abreva in the past and had no issues. This week I started feeling tingling on my face and went and bought a tube it’s been 3 days and my lip is now swollen and spreading. I’m happy to see I’m not the only one this happened to. Definitely will never buy again and hope some of the suggestions on here will work for me and I can get rid of this embarrassing bubble on my face."

Stinkybadass · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "After using Abreva during the tingling stage, my sore spread to other parts of my upper lip which has never happened before. It's almost as if the drug is bottling up the virus and the virus explodes cause it has no where to go. Whatever the reason, this is the worst outbreak I've ever had. Will try a different product next go around."

SR71 June 4, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "Have had cold sores since the 60's. When Abreva first came out I bought some and it worked wonderfully. Not anymore and not at all. This is reflected in the reviews. Older ones are almost all positive and newer ones almost all negative. I believe the reason people are having sores explode, becoming the worst they have ever had is that it no longer has ANY of the active ingredient in the cream and when its applied it spreads the virus around without blocking it from entering healthy cells. I plan to call company and complain loudly and maybe the FDA as well."

RSS June 4, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I wish I'd read these reviews before sending my husband to the pharmacy yesterday to buy me some Abreva. I get cold sores from time to time, and this time I decided to actually buy something to speed along the healing process. BAD IDEA. I applied abreva to my very small, barely noticeable cold sore yesterday afternoon. By bedtime, literally 4 hours after the first application, my lip was swollen to twice it's normal size and what started as a tiny spot is now dime sized. It literally looks like someone punched me in the face. Anywhere I applied the abreva broke out into a huge cold sore. My lip looks terrible and it hurts and itches like crazy. I am so upset! What was supposed to help made everything significantly worse!! I should have just left it alone! I called the doctor and they are calling me in a prescription for Valtrex so that maybe this monstrosity will go away! I have never been so embarrassed. Seriously... This is the worst cold sore I've ever had in my life!"

Jd June 2, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I took Abreva and it made my cold sore worse !! It started with a small cold sore and I just wanted it to go away as I had an important event coming up so I rushed to go buy it. Instead it made my cold sore bigger and my lip is sooooo swollen. I try to do cold compress every couple hours but the swelling won’t go down. I watched some videos and they recommended apple cider vinegar . My cold sore is not in the drying up/ crusting stage bit my like is so swollen which makes it completely worse. I bought this item so it could help me not make everything worse. I definitely deserve a refund !!!"

Caltin · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "Used this once and I ended up with the worst cold sore I ever had. DO NOT USE"

Abby · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "Abreva has not worked for me. I strongly recommend lemon balm. It’s cheaper than abreva and actually works. I put a few drops on a qtip and apply it for 10 minutes. I do this a few times a day and the cold sore is gone the next day. My cold sore last a day or two, rather than a week or more like it did before I used lemon balm."

B · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I had a tiny little sore on my lip yesterday and I used abreva and today it’s the size of a quarter reaching to my chin. I will not be using this again. Abreva made my cold sore worse!!!"

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)