User Reviews for Abreva

Herpes Simplex 157 reviews 7 medications

6.5
Summary of Abreva reviews 157 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Abreva

For Herpes Simplex "Abreva is the only cold sore cream I have found that works. I've been getting outbreaks my entire life. More so when I was a kid, now I get one outbreak about once a year. I apply the cream at the first sign of tingling and use it every 2 hours the first day while applying with a finger and washing my hands before and after. The second day I apply it every 3-4 hours. Abreva stops the spreading for me, the earlier I catch it the better. It also takes about 5 days to fully go away, if I don't use abreva it will stick around for up to two weeks."

Happy customer (taken for 10 years or more) January 14, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "This stuff is the bomb. As soon as I get any feeling like a cold sore I apply it and boom it goes away! I have prescription pills to get rid of it but don't see the point taking meds when this does the trick!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "I've really have hoped this would work. I've tried it each time I get that twitch for a cold sore. Applying it as directed. Have not seen a shortened healing time. It is more of a medicated moisturizer cream. I keep hoping for it to work as marketed but the concentration of the medication is not strong enough. Consider a more cost effective, moisturizer lip balm."

Was Hoping it Would Work (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 5, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "I was surprised to see quite a few negative reviews of Abreva. It works great for me. As soon as I noticed the itching I put it on right away and as often as I can throughout the day. There've been some times where you can barely notice there's anything on my lip. It heals up quickly and numbs the pain. I remember the old days when it would take two weeks or more to fully heal, and it would be a big, awful sore on your lip. I don't get cold sores that often, but I always have Abreva on hand. One thing I did notice is that when I had a tube for a long time that was six months or more until the expiration date it didn't work as well as a new tube. It's expensive, but I think it's totally worth it!"

Halo 7 January 3, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "I only had ONE cold sore on my bottom lip right in the middle. I used over 6 home remedies the day I saw a tiny bump with some bubbles, the next day abreva was the only thing I was using and 2 days later I noticed the cold sore as spread underneath my lip. I have over 6 little cold sores. I am so mad I spent $20 on this cream. I am visiting a dermatologist to help me because it's been over a week and all of my cold sores are not gone. You're better off with home remedies such as the following: ketchup, garlic, tea tree oil, ice, vanilla extract, doterra oils (on guard oil), alcohol, etc. anything that will dry it out. Overall abreva helped me in the past once but now I'm done with it. Over priced and spreads more cold sores, don't buy."

Cinthia10 December 26, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "I've been using Abreva for about 10 years now. What does that tell you? I'm amazed at how good it works. 4 or 5 times a day and I can see it start working. after 4 or 5 days, it's pretty much gone. If you're persistent with your application, you shouldn't get any red scabby blister. My one problem with the product is that you changed the container from a thin opening to a wider opening, therefore having to use more of the product. Why can't you go back to the original container with the thin neck...therefore preventing waste."

Earl T December 23, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "What a waste of 20dollars. Overpriced medication to catch customer one time because its so ineffective, follow up sales unlikely. This is a scam."

dwfish December 22, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "I upset that they even get a 1! Doesn't work! Cold sore only got worse!"

Shan27 December 21, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "This was a waste of my $20. I felt the tingle and rushed to the store. I was using the medicine religiously. The cold sore only got worse. The swelling and the pain were almost unbearable. This is about day 5 and I have a horrible looking scab on my lip. I don't want to go outside. It's so embarrassing."

FedUp1111 December 19, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "I had a really big blister when I woke up and rushed to WalMart. The only one available was Abreva. It doesn't relieve of pain or that burning/fat sensation but it did ultimately dry out my cold sore! EXCEPT NOW (Day 3) it's slowly spreading all over my lip. I was sanitary! Down to disinfecting my lip before applying Abreva. I used only Q-tips, no fingers. In other words, it dries your first cold sore, but it doesn't stop the other cold sores for using Abreva."

PandersManders (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "Abreva is by far the biggest waste of money I've ever encountered. I don't have a constant cold sore issue, but I've had a total of 4 outbreaks throughout 27 years. I had two outbreaks as a kid, & my third outbreak was 4 months ago. I used abreva from the day it surfaced. It took 14 days total, & the sore resurfaced twice in that time frame. My 4th & most recent outbreak is happening now. I used abreva at the first signs of a sore, which brought on a full on sore in the matter of an hour. It is day two, I have switched to crushed aspirin & it's almost gone. Abreva doesn't even numb the area, & discolors your skin. DO NOT USE IT. Aspirin paste is a lifesaver! Aspirin and very little water, NO ABREVA!"

EACELLCEE December 7, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "I ran out of acyclovir so thought I'd try Abreva since I couldn't get in to see my doctor. Have had cold sores for 20 years and since using Abreva, I have had my worst episode yet. Seems to heal the area, but then the cold sore keeps popping up in new parts of my lips, despite using q-tips and being very careful not to spread it. Have had this for 10 days now and am frustrated. Not sure why this is happening but I'm going back to my doctor to get a prescription for acyclovir cream."

I hate cold sores (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "I've gotten cold sores for a few years now, usually one small one every few months maybe. As soon as I feel the tingle I put this on and it shortens the healing time to just a few days (2-3) and keeps it looking skin toned rather than that gross red or white. Also I load up on L-Lysine which has really helped reduce the frequency of outbreaks. It's now been almost 6 months since my last visible cold sore."

Ace1sdrhc December 3, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "Bought abreva at the first day by middle of the night lip had a blister big one after applying it. 5 days later lip still has a nasty spot and a bit swollen . I do believe I could have just saved my $20 and probably wouldn't have been different . Help with pain a bit yeah but healing it fast no."

Myorangecats (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "Does not work at all!!!!!!!!! I started using Abreva at the first sign of a cold sore and less than 4 hours later I had a small bump appear. I was using Abreva all day but by bedtime ( 12 hour's after I first applied ) I had a full blown cold sore. 2 days later and now my whole top lip is broke out. I washed the area and used Q tips to apply but for some reason it still spread. I have never had one to spread before so I will never use this again. I will just stick with tea tree oil."

Ms.X November 19, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "Doesn't work at all. I've been getting cold sores for my entire life and my mom always got me Areva because it's supposed to be "the best" but it never worked- just a waste of money. It makes your cold sore very gooey and gross. I highly recommend Campho-Phenique Cold Sore Treatment which is a little less than $4 and works wonders."

Nikkkkk November 7, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "Abreva works wonders! Put it on your cold sore the minute you notice it coming. Make sure you clean the area and your fingers prior to use. Mine was gone after two days!!! I always get these sores due to overexposure to sun or stress and never was able to find something that would help. I've tried orajel, ice,saltwater and it just made it worse! It's a virus so it will spread if you "pop" one of the liquid filled bumps. Do not touch it unless you're putting abreva on. I cleaned the area and reapplied Abreva 5-7 times for two days. Try to do it as gently as possible and it will be gone. Hope this helps."

Thisreallyworks! October 22, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "Followed instructions on package. Put it on before broke through. Didn't work any better then other products and cost 3 times as much."

1 st time user (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "It's a scam and a total waste of money, all cold sores will start healing itself in 3 days. I speak from 70 years of experience. Save your money. When I feel the first tingling of a cold sore I use Blistex and use it continually for 2 or 3 days and the blister doesn't even form. It's quite obvious that you don't accept comments that are truthful and affect your monetary bottom line. Another evidence of a scam."

stickit (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "I experience cold sores 3-4 times a year. My RX acyclovir was long expired, so I tried abreva. Walgreens only had the pump bottle available. It was almost as effective as RX. My complaint is that the amount dispensed is at least 3 times what is needed...so much waste considering the cost!!"

Cindy128 October 3, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "I experience cold sores 3-4 times a year. I'd run out of my prescription acyclovir which works the best for me. Walgreens only had the pump dispensed available. The product worked fairly well, but the pump dispenses 3-4 times the amount needed. It's very expensive, so too much uncontrolled wasted product!!"

Cindyag October 3, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "Does not work one bit. I get coldsores quite often. I've been trying Abreva for a few years now and it's a complete waste of money. Felt one come on. ..put Abreva literally every 15min and now it's bigger and it spread. ...don't waste your hard earned $25"

AlinaT (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "Its just a placebo just meant to slightly reduce the discomfort associated to an herpes outbreak. Has no effect whatsoever on the root cause, which is the virus itself, and therefore it does not shorten the course of the outbreak as other more effective over-the-counter medicines do."

new0rlens September 29, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "I have never wanted to try anything else than Abreva. I really like this product. I have cold sores often because of a lot of different reasons, but it world for me every time. Usually they last for about 2 weeks and they get really big and really gross, but if I put Abreva on even only once a day, it lasts for about a week and it stays lip colored and you can barely see it. And to be honest. It may or may not work for you but then again, everyone reacts different to things. So you can't really refer yourself to comments, you just need to try it for yourself. I like it. Some people don't. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. I really hope, whoever you are, that abreva will work for you."

AnonymousCupcake (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2016

For Herpes Simplex "Don't waste your money on this. All this product does is take away the pain. I got this as soon as i felt a cold sore coming and applied it religiously and it did nothing for me. On the 4th day of my outbreak someone told me to try "New Skin" its a type of liquid bandaid, got it at wallmart for 4$. Less than 12 hours after putting new skin on the outbreak has drastically gone down in size and the nasty scabs were gone. It just looked like a small burn."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016