User Reviews for Abreva

Herpes Simplex
5.1

Summary of Abreva reviews 5.1 277 reviews

Reviews for Abreva

For Herpes Simplex "I could feel a cold sore coming on and I thought guess I need some abreva!! Ran to the store even though I was broke to buy a $20 tube of this stuff!! Started applying it immediately and what do you know, I’ve had the worse outbreak I’ve ever had!! Going on day three and my lip is swollen with two huge blisters!! I’m in pain!! Never again will I use and I don’t recommend use of it!!"

Seppu January 16, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "This medicine does not work. I used it for the first time and I have never had a bigger cold sore. My lips are so swollen, it is terrible. What a waste of money. False advertisement for sure."

Annie January 16, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "For 25 years I have gotten cold sores about every two months. Usually 1-2 but as bad as my upper and lower lips being one solid fever blister. I have used everything from homeopathic to prescription remedies. Abreva works the best for me. I also would never rate any drug as 1 star because what works for some may not work for others. If you have them as frequently as me, the $20 is worth the try. If it works, you'll save a ton in the long run."

Courtburg (taken for 10 years or more) January 15, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "Such a huge waste of money. Abreva made my cold sores worse, ten I caught on and stopped using it. I had better results overall by just using essential oils. The old formula worked wonders, so it's a HUGE shame they have changed it. I wonder why they think it's a good marketing scheme to make things worse for their customers? Anyway, good riddance abreva. I hope you leave the shelves for good."

wayne January 11, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "Felt that tingling feeling and immediately applied Abreva six times a day for three days. Very minimal growth and receded on day two. Day three almost completely gone. Prior to Abreva, mine would last 7-10 days, grow huge, and hurt like crazy. With Abreva, one could barely tell a cold sore ever was there."

SFCKUSARMY (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I do not recommend this product. I had cold sores about once a year since I was a kid, but I haven’t had one in nearly 8 years. Although, I remember Abreva not being effective in the past, I thought I’d try it this time. I started applying it, using clean cotton swabs, from the initial tingle. It has been two days, and this is the worst one I have ever had. My lip is very swollen and the effected area is much larger than ever before. I can’t say definitely that the Abreva has made it worse, but It seems like there is a correlation."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2019

For Herpes Simplex "I used abreva at the first sign of a cold sore coming on, and it appears to have made my sold sore worse. This cold sore is by far the biggest I have ever experienced and the virus has spread to other areas of my upper lip. I am very careful and use a q-tip to apply abreva, I also use an uncontaminated q-tip to apply Vaseline to my lower lip to keep it from getting dry since I am not licking my lips. I will switch to a different brand."

Anon December 12, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Abreva doesn't work, and I'm convinced that all these comments saying it does are fake. I've used it as directed on two different occasions now, and the blister forms anyway and ends up huge. This is an absolute waste of $20 for a teeny little tube that does nothing at all. It's back to high doses of lysine for me (which by the way works really well), never buying this again."

Noni (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "DOES NOT WORK. BLISTERS STILL FORM. DOES NOT STOP blisters.The only thing that works is high dose Valtrex at first sign of a tingle or bump. Abreva does nothing. I have an entire lower lip full of them despite abreva."

john (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Used this product on first sign , but it made things worst . I’m on day 3 now.."

German (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I have had cold sores at least once a year. I usually use Class IV laser treatment which is THE BEST treatment out there to significantly reduce cold sores by killing the virus. I am a physical therapist and didn’t have access to the laser so I used Abreva at first sign and it never turned to a blister. So I feel it did help reduce the spreading of the virus. If you don’t have access to a Class IV laser (dermatologists, PT’s or chiropractors) use Abreva."

Logan (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Use at first sign of a cold sore. It works! The sun triggers this stuff for me. I'm on the golf course a lot, so I keep this handy. Even so, using a 50SPF lip balm is another great preventive measure."

KL (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 29, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Unfortunately, I've dealt with cold sores since elementary age. Following a friend's recommendation, I tried Abreva, and it does wonders. The trick is applying the medication to the sore several times a day the moment you have symptoms rather than full blown blisters or crusting has occurred. Once the blisters form, the medication WILL reduce the heal time, but the "outbreak damage" has already happened and nothing will help healing but time. Once you feel that swelling, pain, tingle, itch and/or heat to the area apply the medication. The key is don't wait until it forms the blisters and/or crust. Hope this helps!"

Nunya (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I loved abeva! I had my first cold sore ever on Monday and I have a business trip to go to on Thursday morning so Tuesday evening I ran out to the store a bought some abreva! By Wednesday night my cold sore was gone, the scab had already fell off and all I was doing was waiting for the redness to go down. I did not rate this product a 10 because I am unsure if the extreme redness was from the product itself or just because it is such a quick fix that it was slightly unnatural for the cold sore. It is unnaturally red from the rest of my lips so I would say to use ice to help the cold sore redness go down. I would recommend this to any friend and If I get another cold sore, I am using this."

Anonymous September 13, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I am not one to get fever blisters but I have had a few, this is the first time I have used abreva and it was a serious mistake. It became HUGE over night and is white and puffy on top now and keeps getting bigger. I will never use this again, it is EXPENSIVE too. I do not recommend this to anyone, it is terrible."

SouthernBounty September 12, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "WOW. Within 4 hours my cold sore was 90% healed! It had lasted three weeks and getting it was worth the price. I really don't understand why so many people on this thread are complaining it didn't. I guess the people who it works for don't have a need to write a review."

kiki (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "This is the worse thing I have ever used! I’ve never had a cold sore on my lip before so I did a little research (obviously not enough) and rushed to get abreva since it was what everyone was suggesting. Throughout the day it started to swell up more and I was like oh maybe I should just keep using it and I would ice it as well and I woke up 3am and my lip was huge! Going to see my OB in the morning since I am pregnant but man do I regret using this."

Anonymous September 5, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I’ve used abreva for a couple of years now. The first time I used it, it seemed to help. Yes, the blisters flared up within an hour or two, but seemed to cut healing time. I recently had a cold sore come up and used the abreva. Made it ten times worse and it lasted longer than I think it should have. I’m not sure what they did to change the formula or whatever, but it DID NOT work this last time. Right now, I have another cold sore. I applied abreva an hour ago so we will see what it does. I think the biggest thing with abreva, or cold sores in general, is to not touch or mess with the infected area. If this doesn’t work, I’m going to make a dr appointment and NEVER USE ABREVA AGAIN!!!!!! Also, two years ago I remember it was $20+. I bought some a few months ago and it was only around $13."

Noneed1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I used this when I felt a cold sore coming on and literally my entire face exploded it made it so much worse. I paid $21 and then wound up having to make a doctor's appointment and get prescription medication. I get cold sores occasionally but never used Abreva before and it was the worst I had ever had after using it. This drug should be pulled from the market."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I bought this for $22 - it is very small. I applied it and my nose cold sore grew even more. I applied it at the tingly stage before any sores appeared. I used this before and it worked. Let me guess you have to have to have an prescription for the original stuff to work? I don't recommend it's seems like a placebo."

Vfu (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Along with what everyone else is saying. This medication made it significantly worse. Don't bother using it. I've been icing my cold sores for years and it's much more effective."

Zizo August 7, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "DO NOT BUY ABREVA! A terrible product that delivers horrific results. I used it on the first tingle and tiny bump on my upper lip indicating a sore was about to surface. BIG MISTAKE! Overnight my lip became so swollen, it looked like I was stung by a hornet! Also, the blisters multiplied in amount and size! Blisters also turned white, and oozed profusely. I would rate this a MINUS 10 if I could. Just terrible!"

Enzee (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Used abreva because the pharmacy was out of the usual topical medication I prefer. Caused so much swelling, I ended up in the ER at 3am. I had to have most of my face numbed to receive treatment. Absolutely awful. Now I'm out almost $300 and missed some work."

Cece July 23, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I have had cold sores once or twice per year since I was a young kid. I heard about Abreva several years ago and tried it. Wow! It worked great. Nothing I have tried before, and I had tried several remedies, worked as well. Smaller blister, less discomfort and much quicker healing. It really did shorten the healing time by half or better. OCD guy that I am, I apply it much more often than directed, probably at least ten times per day. I have no idea if the extra applications really help but the stuff really does work."

Anonymous July 18, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Used it for the first time,j ust as I was starting to get a cold sore. They next day my sore was ten times the size, became white and after two weeks still the same. Went to see the doctor and it caused an ulcer on my lip which had to be removed. I will never use this product again."

bug (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018