User Reviews for Abreva

Herpes Simplex
5.2

Summary of Abreva reviews 5.2 258 reviews

Reviews for Abreva

For Herpes Simplex "I bought this for $22 - it is very small. I applied it and my nose cold sore grew even more. I applied it at the tingly stage before any sores appeared. I used this before and it worked. Let me guess you have to have to have an prescription for the original stuff to work? I don't recommend it's seems like a placebo."

Vfu (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Along with what everyone else is saying. This medication made it significantly worse. Don't bother using it. I've been icing my cold sores for years and it's much more effective."

Zizo August 7, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "DO NOT BUY ABREVA! A terrible product that delivers horrific results. I used it on the first tingle and tiny bump on my upper lip indicating a sore was about to surface. BIG MISTAKE! Overnight my lip became so swollen, it looked like I was stung by a hornet! Also, the blisters multiplied in amount and size! Blisters also turned white, and oozed profusely. I would rate this a MINUS 10 if I could. Just terrible!"

Enzee (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Used abreva because the pharmacy was out of the usual topical medication I prefer. Caused so much swelling, I ended up in the ER at 3am. I had to have most of my face numbed to receive treatment. Absolutely awful. Now I'm out almost $300 and missed some work."

Cece July 23, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I have had cold sores once or twice per year since I was a young kid. I heard about Abreva several years ago and tried it. Wow! It worked great. Nothing I have tried before, and I had tried several remedies, worked as well. Smaller blister, less discomfort and much quicker healing. It really did shorten the healing time by half or better. OCD guy that I am, I apply it much more often than directed, probably at least ten times per day. I have no idea if the extra applications really help but the stuff really does work."

Anonymous July 18, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Used it for the first time,j ust as I was starting to get a cold sore. They next day my sore was ten times the size, became white and after two weeks still the same. Went to see the doctor and it caused an ulcer on my lip which had to be removed. I will never use this product again."

bug (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I hope this helps somebody. I've been getting fever blisters since I was a kid. Over the years of dealing with them and researching better ways to fight them and experimenting on my own, I found a cocktail way of beating this viruses ass. When I first get the bumps, I will go home and sterilize a needle and pop them (I know its not recommended, but it works for me). Once they are popped I put hydrogen peroxide on them with a cotton swab. Once the H.P. has been on for about 5 minutes I will wipe it off. I will then apply tea tree oil that is diluted with coconut oil to dry out the wound and clean it. About 10 minutes after that I will put on abreva, then 10-15 minutes after that I will put more tea tree oil on. For me this stops the spread and within 12 hours I notice a scab starting to form. I will repeat the abreva and tea tree oil until it is gone while also taking lysine supplements (4000-5000mg a day)."

NG June 20, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I usually use Herpecin L for my cold sores (definitely recommend), but I ran out and went to CVS to get more, but they only had abreva, so I got that instead. I applied the Abreva and within hours my cold sore got WORSE. I have NEVER had a cold sore this bad before using abreva. The fact that they charge $20 for this garbage is appalling. I will attempt to return the product because I am highly unsatisified. I will never use this again, even if it is my only option, because not only did it not relieve the cold sore, it made it 10x worse. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS INEFFECTIVE PRODUCT."

PissedOff (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "This was an awful experience. My sore was in the inside of my lower lip. Pharmacist told me to us this product. Said it was the best thing ever. Was he wrong. My mouth is full of sores and my tongue. Now I have to go to the doctor to get something to heal it I am in so much pain. You need to get it off the market. My face was so numb and on fire and tingling I almost went to the hospital thinking I was having a stroke."

Sore mouth June 19, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "So mad at myself for using this on my cold sore. It didn't do anything except make it so much worse. I kept getting them too, even if I used abreva at the first tingle. And each time they got bigger and bigger. I wish I had just gone and got a prescription antiviral, which I take now. Because now I have a horrid permanent scar from the cold sores I got while using this."

lolachorra123 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 8, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Abreva is a trainwreck. I usually opt for isopropyl alcohol & salt, and tea tree oil; Cannabidiol to numb - and haven't had to deal with one for more than a few days in years. I got a cold sore big enough to daunt me, though, & went ahead & got abreva. At first nothing - figured it needed time. Applied dilligently - every 2 to 3 hours. Intense swelling - never in my life had swelling like this. Noticed a couple days in that it leaves a waxy residue - completely preventing it from airing & holding all moisture in; essentially letting it have a field day under there. Got it off & despite pain, went with the tried & true salt paste. It leeched the fluid out & had the swelling down a bit within the hour & its on its way to scabbing finally now. Can not believe I paid $20 for something that made it so much worse. Never again."

AM (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Felt the tingle so rushed and bought the newer pump formula and applied multiple times through the day. Woke up the next day with what looked like 3rd degree burn blisters on my lip! I would never recommend this."

Simplex1 May 15, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I have never used anything for the sores before. I just let them do their thing for about two weeks or so. Well, I get married in less than that and felt one coming on. Now, the sore isn’t getting any bigger than it normally would, HOWEVER the stages are much faster. Day 3 and already scabbed over and getting better. Looks like my lip will be clear before my wedding! I’m impressed."

SatifiedAndHappy (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I had one small blister on my upper lip but after applying Abreva according to the directions, the whole side of my lip broke out in a cluster of small blisters 5 times larger than the original blister within 4 hours! I will never buy this product again!!!"

NeverAgain (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "At the first tingle I went a bought a tube of abreva, the next day my blister was horrible. Thought maybe it took a little bit time, bought another tube 3 days later and my blister has been the biggest I have ever had. I advise do NOT waste your money. This is horrible. I bought a can of Lysol spray and 2 days later my blister finally looks like it is starting to go away !! Coconut oil and tree tea oil has also helped decrease the redness"

NotAhappyCamper (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Only one word comes to mind regarding Abreva....FRAUD!!! Don't pay $20.00 something dollars for this garbage to make your cold sores worse!!! Don't do it!!!"

Joey Nelson (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I followed the directions and also used ice. A lot of rest. Protected unaffected parts of lip with Carmex. You have to keep your lips clean apply 5 times a day at the first sign of child sore. Take lysine AND vitamin c and biotin. Avoid stress. Drink lots of water. Day2 it swelled a little more But the ice reduced it."

User (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Please do not use this!!! I wish I had read the reviews on here beforehand. I woke up with a small section of redness and put abreva on it to get ahead of the virus (which I never do, but I have a trip coming up). Within the day my lip was swollen with not one, but two huge blisters. It's the worst breakout I've ever had and I wish I had never used this stupid cream. Stay away!"

Anonymous April 14, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I've tried it twice. Both times it exacerbated the cold sore.Ended up tossing it out.Save your money. Wanted to share my experience.Had a breakout of small cold sores over a period of time.Used Equate antibiotic cream.Dabbed it on..gone next day. Each time.Just figured it was luck. Woke up with a big one one morning...Used equate liberally at home all day. it stopped all irritation, redness and swelling. Still had some pain. But the sore was hardly noticable. Dabbed it on for the next two days and it was gone. The whole time I had it I wasn't self conscience about it. Also works on other blemishes. I had an age spot on my forehead that would grow. I would scratch at it. It would bleed and come back. Last year same thing. I scratch it off but this time used equate cream..The age spot is still gone ..Been about a year This stuff is cheap. It won't irratate your skin and you have nothing to lose by trying. Hope it works for you. Best of luck!"

Cski49 (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Guys I think it’s just big Pharma ripping people off. Abreva is just a form of alcohol, look it up. The best stuff I’ve found to heal faster is: acetone applies topically, taken an antiviral, lysine and virulite"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I had a cold sore coming and after applying this product I have cluster of them and above my lip too it spread all over. Oh yeah bought a tube one and a spray one they both do the same which spread the cold sore. STAY AWAY SO YOU WONT BE DEPRESSED LIKE ME "

Saddude March 28, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Garbage product & a rip-off."

Peeved (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "ZINC OXIDE gets rid of herpes simplex in half a day and overnight, there is no sign of it PLUS IT NEVER COMES BACK !!!!!!! Forget Abreva ..."

Veritas March 17, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Horrible product .... It made my cold sore worse"

KL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Yesterday I noticed the tingling and my bottom lip felt particularly chapped in the middle. Added a dap to that area and went to bed. Woke up to two enormous blisters right on the middle of my bottom lip line and a swollen burning lip. I don't know what the purpose of this formula is but it does the total opposite of its purpose."

Donotbuy (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018