User Reviews for Abreva

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Abreva.

Herpes Simplex
5.6

Summary of Abreva reviews 5.6 231 reviews

Reviews for Abreva

For Herpes Simplex "I have experienced cold sores since the age of 17..... They were usually very large over all. I may have used Abreva in the past but it is a little bit pricy for the amount. I had a small little bubble in the middle of my top lip so I put an alcohol swab on it and the scab would form eventually. No big deal. 2 days later I woke up to another one adjacent from it on my bottom lip (much more tender area). So I was in a panic. I dabbed some tea tree oil & darted off to the pharmacy. Couldn't open the package of Abreva fast enough. I was going fishing on a boat this particular day & didn't want the sun flattering my newest edition to my lip. I had even poked a hole to alleviate a little pressure. To cut to the chase I felt pressure on it the whole day & it was puffy & full of fluid regardless of the multiple applications. Summary ; Awful & a complete waste of money. I decided to google "Abreva doesnt work" & now I am here. I should have just saved the 20$"

Danyelley February 18, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I haven't had this problem with abreva before, but it made my cold sore grow bigger for whatever reason. When I was younger it got rid of the cold sore within 3-4 days. The formula or my immune system have changed, either way, it's ineffective. Opted to use natural methods instead, such as tea tree oil, raw honey, and pure vanilla extract interchangeably, and the results are way better. PLUS, you can walk around in public without a questionable white clump on your lips."

Anonymous February 17, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I list a worthwhile remedy after my abreva review. Knee jerk at first tingle, forked over the dough. Never had luck with it before, but third tube in a decade maybe it would work. Product only exacerbated cold sore. While kicking myself for being gullible I tried home remedies from online. Abreva’s claim to fame is they’re listed with the FDA for cold sores. Doesn’t mean it works! Coconut oil, ice cube, apple cider vinegar, work better but they are not approved by the FDA for use and will never be officially sanctioned for use as such nor officially endorsed by conventional medical professionals. This is harsh but I was desperate: Isopropyl alcohol applied with swab, Ice cube, dr Christopher’s comfrey ointment, coconut oil and a minuscule dab of triple antibiotic in the morning, after lunch, after work, and before bed. Three days later and it’s barely noticeable. Good luck!"

El dudorino (taken for 10 years or more) February 11, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I highly advise against Abreva especially if you have sensitive skin. If I could post a before and after picture I would. I use the generic CVS brand and it fastens the process of healing the sore. It comes in a small white tube and for the pain (if any) I use cbd oil to numb out any uncomfortability. Abreva has actually made the sore grow and it blistered up my lip causing it to crack and split down the middle. Ive never had a sore so bad or for more than 7 days. It has been three weeks and it's finally almost completely unnoticeable or gone. I used the CVS brand for a week then began to use Blistex (medicated) which you can buy also at your local pharmacy. I would only recommend using the Blistex chapstick once the sore is scabbed over or almost healed in order to help the healing process and also fasten it. I've been doing a lot of research on what products would help heal or prevent the sores from popping up and Abreva is not one!"

Anonkid (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "From the second I felt a tiny little dot of a cold sore I started to use abreva, and use it at least 5 times a day. My cold sore is enormous, the biggest thing ever, it quadrupled in size. Not happy"

Kim55 February 7, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Abreva is a scam. I'm pretty sure the only thing Abreva helped was my cold sore take my lip hostage for 2 weeks. Don't waste your money, I'd recommend setting the cold sore on fire before recommending Abreva."

DallasFly (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I started using at the first sign of a breakout!! I’ve had many in the past and I know what they feel like. I thought this was perfect. I was already in the car and on my way to the store so I grabbed the Abreva for $22.99 and figured it was worth it. By the time I had used the second application that evening the sore had gotten bigger and by the morning it had spread onto my skin above my lip (which has NEVER happened before)!!! I could not be more disappointed. I will NEVER use this product again. I want my money back which is ridiculous anyway but when you’re desperate you do what you have to do. I feel this company preys on the public’s desperation to get rid of these sores quickly so they overprice a terrible product. I’m going back to Carmax. A much cheaper but better product by far!!"

DinP (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I've gotten cold sores a few times in the past but the one and only time I used abreva to treat one, I found it did absolutely nothing. It did not stop it from growing, it did not stop it from scabbing over and all in all the cold sore still took over a week to go away as they generally do without treatment. Abreva was a complete waste of money in my opinion as it made no difference in how a cold sore would naturally progress and heal from my experience."

clynnclynn (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I purchased Abreva because I could feel the tingling that meant a cold sore was coming. First time user. I followed all directions and all it did was make it worse. All the hype in the commercials are not true. Do not waste your money!"

Sallyfield (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Bought it when I first sensed the cold sore. Today is my 2nd day and I haven’t seen any change at all. The cold sore actually has gotten bigger! Total wastw of money!!!!!"

Anonymous January 17, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "I decided to buy Abreva and my cold sores normally take up to a week. The creme made it much worse, I got blisters which I never had like that and I have had a cold sore for 2,5 weeks now. There is even starting another one at the other side of my mouth. "

Katarinaaaaa January 10, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Re: the comment posted on 12/31/17... Have same experience with Abreva. I've endured cold sores (herpes simplex) all my life. I'd rather volunteer for a root canal than endure a cold sore. There ISN'T ANY product I haven't tried for relief!! EVERY SINGLE TIME I've used Abreva its made things worse!! Its like steroids, blisters appear shortly after I use it!! Wtf? "Help speed the healing process"... ya said the unicorn to the rainbow! It certainly speeds things up, just NOT the healing!!"

Not convinced January 6, 2018

For Herpes Simplex "Very sad. Used abreva at the first time (slight redness and tingling) there was no blister and hardly a bump. Within 12 hours the abreva brought out the cold sore and it has a collection of 6 swollen white blisters on the main sore. It also spread the virus and I feel another coming if the other side of my upper lip and well as my lower lip. I am speechless. Do not buy this!!! PLEASE!!!"

User5 December 31, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "I'm 52 and married when I experienced my 1st cold sore. My pharmacist recommended abreva which I used with ice and apple cider vinegar, it never fully developed and is barley visible by day 3, we will see what happens"

First timer1 December 30, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "As others have stated, Abreva does little to stop the growth of cold sores. Even used at the first sign (tingling, soreness, etc.) it seems to make sores grow faster and then spread all over my lips like wildfire. I tried H-balm (I use extra strength) and it was heaps better"

YaNasty (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "I’ve use this product and it worked the first time after a week of stopping it another one came and I’ve used this again now it’s making it worse I’ve been suffering with two different spots on my lips for a month I’m taking the Zovirax pills and I think I’m allergic to them they keep making me itch Help need something this is terrible"

Anonymous December 27, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "I had cold sores all the time growing up. When abreva came out, I used it as soon as I felt the tingle. I only used it two times and have not had a cold sore ever since, at least 15 years now and nothing."

glassartist (taken for 10 years or more) December 20, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "I had a really bad outbreak and was recommended by a clinician to put abreva on it and take acyclovir anti-viral pills. I used TWO WHOLE PUMP BOTTLES OF ABREVA AND NOTHING CHANGED! The acyclovir didn't help either. Tried alcohol and saw a huge difference instead. Don't use Abreva. Use 70+% alcohol."

James Frolic December 6, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "This product makes the cold sore worse. It made my one pimple sized cold sores itch and 2 more popped in the area. I have given it a chance in the past (3 more times) but now am convinced that it doesn't work. ITS THE MOST ADVERTISED ON TV but its JUST A SCAM. Please save your money and try something like tree tea oil to make the blister small and dry."

strugglingmac December 5, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "I always get face blisters from wind-burn or mild sunburn. Abreva helps only if I use it at the time of the damage, not wait til blisters appear. It keeps them from spreading all over my face. And that is terrible. I use it for regular fever blisters too. I have to use it the night before the outbreak."

judyfromArkansas (taken for 10 years or more) December 2, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "I've been getting cold sores once or twice a year for the past 20 years and they've always been the same size, so I know my personal cold sores. I felt the signs of getting a cold sore so having heard abreva actually worked I thought I'd give it a shot. At this point the cold sore was a tiny bump no bigger than a pinhead. After trying the pump bottle, my cold sore got a little bigger but I didn't think anything of it at first other than that I must not have caught it in time so that's why it grew more and I kept using abreva. THIS WAS A TERRIBLE THING TO TRY. This cold sore is now the biggest I have ever had in my life, has spread to HALF of my upper lip, and it is so swollen and painful! This is because of abreva DO NOT USE!"

Iwantmy Moneyback (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "Please stay away from this product new Abreva spreads cold sores I have 3 now instead of one little one."

Sadmanmike1987y November 21, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "I typically don't get cold sores. I've only had 3-4 in my whole life, and they began when I was 25 years old. I get them every 1-2 years. I chose to use Abreva because it alleviates the pain, and is supposed to help with healing time. The Abreva in the US now comes in a pump form, and is much more liquid than the original. Abreva never cured my fever blisters in the 2.5 days they say it can, but it did used to help. This time, it exacerbated my blister, and it is HUGE! It has not spread like the other reviews have stated, but it's larger than normal, and I can only imagine that it's the Abreva I've been using 5-8 times a day. Do not use this product. It either doesn't work, or it makes it worse. Both are bad scenarios. Use vanilla extract."

katekatekate (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "Abreva did not work and I believe caused them to spread on my lower lip. I have 6 different sores on my whole bottom lip in different stages. I'm 33 and I don't normally use abreva but I'm out of town so I bought it in a pinch. I've never experienced this spreading before in this degree. I will never use abreva again."

Chris Tina 84 (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2017

For Herpes Simplex "I bought Abreva when I felt my first tingle. I applied it 5/6 times a day every day. My cold sore got huge.I still have my cold sore and I'm on day 12 :( now a new sore is popping up. I felt the tingle of the Abreva every time I put it on, but it didn't help at all."

Janne0909 November 14, 2017