User Reviews for Abreva

Learn more about Abreva.

Abreva Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Abreva to treat Herpes Simplex

"I got a cold sore yesterday morning, it was quite small and barely noticeable. I put abreva on and put it on like 10 times and when I woke up this morning it was bigger and more painful. It does not work. I don't get cold sores quite often, only when I'm very sick or physically drained (I'm a lifeguard and swim teacher). This was a huge disappointment, especially for how expensive it was."

Livieeeee August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken this medicine since it first came out. I felt the tingle of a new sore the other day and bought a bottle of Abreva (this bottle has a pump to supply the medication which is more liquidish). After 2 days of use I realized that no only had the Abreva NOT worked, my cold sore had spread to 3 times the original size and was still contagious (tingly and sore). I mentioned this to my husband who said we had an older squeeze tube of Abreva (paste consistency) in his bathroom and he suggested I try that instead. After 12 hours, 2 applications, the cold sore is already getting better. My guess is that the makers of Abreva have watered down the active ingredient so much that it is no longer effective so they make more money."

Greedsux (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried this for the first time on Wednesday afternoon as a sore was rapidly starting. It's now Friday night and it's a tiny dry speck. It has also worked on some weird unknown irritation on my face. This is the quickest I can remember having one resolve. I applied a tiny bit probably every hour or whenever I became aware of it again, and it worked very well."

HinCA (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using abreva for years and it is incredibly good. I got off a phone call with the bank and within minutes the cold sore was starting to form and my bottom lip was beginning to tingle and itch. At that point I knew - so I drove as quickly as I could to the pharmacy and purchased a bottle. Applied it immediately and the cold sore literally stopped in its tracks. I put it on at least 3 times that day and by the next morning (today) it almost looks as if nothing is there. No red spot near the edge of my lip. Now just a very small bump that is already beginning to get smaller and smaller. I would recommend this stuff to anyone. It works like magic if you put it on right when you feel the cold sore start to come in."

United Deca July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Abreva was a god-send. I to apply at the first tingle and cold sore would not even develop . Fast forward a couple of years , (about 1-2 sores tried to come out per year but I was successful in full stop) Abreva no longer works. It even appears to spread the blisters? I no longer feel the numbing sensation that I used to from the abreva cream. I'm so disappointed ! I feel like I may have become immune to the cream or else the formula has changed."

FloorPisser (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Abreva use to work, not anymore. It appears they have changed the formula. It has been a few years since I've had a cold sore or fever blister. Years ago when I used Abreva, I could feel a tingling sensation when I applied it. Within 24 hours you could tell a difference ~ the fever blister was not spreading but getting smaller. The Abreva purchased in 2017 you feel nothing when you put it on.... Does not work like it use to. Please bring back the old formula."

Linda in Georgia July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Abreva used to work for me very well, but it no longer does. I used to put it on and it would shorten healing time significantly, and if I caught it early enough would go away before blistering. The last couple of times I caught one right away and put it on at the first tiny tingle. It still spread to a huge multi-blister sore and took 2 weeks to heal. Either my body has grown resistant to the active ingredient in Abreva that used to work, or they have changed their formula. Very disappointed."

Aubrey2017 July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My immune system has been stressed by pregnancy and all of a sudden I started getting cold sores. The first one I immediately used carmex like my dad did when I was a kid and it blistered and popped within a few days and took almost the full 2 weeks to heal completely. This time I was far enough in the pregnancy that I was okay using medication and boy was it one hell of a blister by the time I applied the abreva. Dead center upper lip was just one solid mass of blisters. I used it the recommended five times a day. That was yesterday. Today the blister is gone, not popped but deflated and hardened in that spot. No pain. But the medicine makes my whole mouth feel funky, even inside, not just where I've applied the ointment."

WillowStarfire (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started to feel the tingle and put some abreva on. Within 2 hours I had 3 small visible blisters. Continued to treat with abreva hoping that it would make it stop growing but it soon grew to nearly half of my lower lip with 8 separate sores. I'm very swollen and have never experienced this degree of cold sore discomfort before. Switching back to my expensive prescription meds, as abreva did not work for me."

Temagami (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Felt a little numb on the top of my lip, so I ran to put some Abreva on it. I used it for about a day and a half as directed (5x daily) with quite a healthy amount each time. I realized after the day and a half that anywhere I put the Abreva, the cold sore had spread to and was now blistering. It did the exact opposite of what it said it was supposed to do. Will never use again."

Cass94 May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Abreva worked for me up until now. It seems to make it worse. I have tried other things lately because the Abreva isn't cutting the healing time at all. Note, I have been soaking a cotton ball in whole milk and applying it for 5-10 minutes every 2 hours. It takes away the inflammation of the cold sore, feels much more better, blends in with my skin... The milk has antiviral and bacterial properties that help. Try it!"

anonymouz (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I apply Abreva at the very first tingle, it drastically reduces the amount that the cold sore grows to, and reduces my healing time in half. (Without Abreva, my cold sores usually last about 2 weeks from initial tingle to completely healed, and with Abreva only one week.) I get twice yearly outbreaks. Abreva would be more worth it if it were not so over priced."

Happy with Abreva, not price May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made it worse probably better off just seeing it through and eating healthy to prevent them"

Cumfunkle May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried it many time, even use it as a preventing fact, still got them and it didn't make them heal any faster, the bottle is package to look bigger than it actually is. I think its a total expensive scam!"

Jayhem May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Abreva helps with the pain and itching that cold sores can cause. But that's it. The herpes virus is internal. It sheds during times of stress or sickness. No topical medication is going to stop the herpes virus from running its course internally. Only oral medications taken by mouth can shorten the cycle of the herpes virus when it sheds. Personally, I take Acyclovir, prescribed by my dermatologist, upon feeling the first tingle of a herpes cold sore. I have found that It cuts the cycle in half. Other people prefer Valtrex. If you want real results during a herpes outbreak, you need an oral medication. Keep it handy in your prescription cabinet. Not a topical cream. Herpes is an internal virus. Talk to your doctor."

Propagandhi (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I get a cold sore every May and December... Last December I used Abreva " At the first tingle " and it just never developed and was totally healed in 2 days. Now it's May and I cut this one off at the pass even sooner but the results are totally opposite. It does seen smaller and less painful then if I didn't use anything but it's still a full blown cold sore. The jury is still out on this subject. I really can't tell with just 2 uses. But the good news is I have the rest of my life to do more research. I'll update my review next December."

AnthraxB May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my doubts about this product based of the negative reviews about it comparing its effectiveness to its cost. I started getting a cold sore yesterday morning and a bump started forming by the time I got off work. I went to buy Abreva and I had used it a total of four times sincerely last night and right now (less than 24 hours). I'll admit that the bump did get bigger overnight reaching its full size (which normally takes me about thee days) and just about half an hour ago, the cold sore finally popped after this fourth application. Cold sores for me usually pop by day five. True to its advertising, it has extremely reduced my healing time. I think people are expecting too much now that I have had my own experience with Abreva."

Minnnesotanbynature (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Save your money ! Abreva is not only expensive, IT DOES NOT work. I used it for the first 3 days from the first tingle. My cold sore did not get smaller it just kept growing. Searched the wed for other alternatives and came across Vicks rub. So glad I gave it a try. Instant pain relief with the Vicks and blister is getting better within a few hours !"

Vanhef April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made my blisters worse and didn't relieve my pain . It's too expensive to not work. Will never buy again"

Peanut6708 April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I get cold sores when I go in excessive sun at least once a year. I could see that the sore was coming this time around, so I grabbed some abreva. Not only did it seem to be of little affect, but it made my blister grow more than I have seen it without treating it with anything. The Abreva takes the pain away, but as for the blistering, it only makes it larger."

Monty2435 April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I mean, it looks like badly chapped lips but my cold sores are stress induced so they don't look or feel like most of the conditions described on this page. Either way, my symptoms were flaring up, my lips were cracking, a little bit of bleeding, some scarring. I had to do so much exfoliating, it wasn't pretty and it wasn't healing. Legit, 15 minutes after applying abreva - my lips actually look fine. Like nothing was wrong in the first place. I can't believe it. It's actual magic. Wild."

Abreva = magic (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm shocked to read people say this stuff makes your cold sore disappear because I have tried it numerous times and every time my cold sore grows to be huge. Yesterday I drove to the pharmacy when I felt the tingling. I had a tiny blister and I proceeded to apply the abreva. I kept reapplying every 3 to 4 hours and it only seemed to get worse. Woke up in the morning and it was as if I hadn't used anything! The only thing I will say is that my cold sores last about 3-4 days with abreva (at least I think it's because of abreva). I do however need something better for my $21."

Lele83 April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This stuff doesn't work!!!"

DanielleM88 April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to pop cold sores then put rubbing alcohol on it but it would scar bad. So I went to the emergency room they gave me an awesome cream! But I lost the cream and I couldn't get a doctors appointment quick enough so I bought abreva for the first time. At first I thought it was working because it looked like it was drying up the blister fast then put some on before bed but then the next day it started to break out near the blister so I put more on then It started to break out a little more so I put more on extra for a week it has gotten 3 times bigger looked on here saw the negative comments quickly washed it off and bam within 5 minutes it was worse! 5 minutes after removal it was drying up and feeling better! Never using abreva again!"

Agoodnickname (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Right before bed I felt the tingle and saw the tiny hint of a cold sore. Not new to this, and knowing I couldn't get prescription meds until the next day, I sent my husband to the store to get Abeva. I applied it that night and in the morning and again mid morning. I went to the doctor in the afternoon to get a prescription medication. Before I got home from the pharmacy I had a HUGE cold sore. I took the meds and continued the Abreva. The cold sore continued to grow in size and is hideous. I stopped the Abreva and am using Petroleum on the lip with the medication. It's slowly getting better now. I'll never use Abreva ever again."

333rmd (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2017