User Reviews for Abreva

Learn more about Abreva.

Abreva Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Abreva to treat Herpes Simplex

"My immune system has been stressed by pregnancy and all of a sudden I started getting cold sores. The first one I immediately used carmex like my dad did when I was a kid and it blistered and popped within a few days and took almost the full 2 weeks to heal completely. This time I was far enough in the pregnancy that I was okay using medication and boy was it one hell of a blister by the time I applied the abreva. Dead center upper lip was just one solid mass of blisters. I used it the recommended five times a day. That was yesterday. Today the blister is gone, not popped but deflated and hardened in that spot. No pain. But the medicine makes my whole mouth feel funky, even inside, not just where I've applied the ointment."

WillowStarfire (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started to feel the tingle and put some abreva on. Within 2 hours I had 3 small visible blisters. Continued to treat with abreva hoping that it would make it stop growing but it soon grew to nearly half of my lower lip with 8 separate sores. I'm very swollen and have never experienced this degree of cold sore discomfort before. Switching back to my expensive prescription meds, as abreva did not work for me."

Temagami (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Felt a little numb on the top of my lip, so I ran to put some Abreva on it. I used it for about a day and a half as directed (5x daily) with quite a healthy amount each time. I realized after the day and a half that anywhere I put the Abreva, the cold sore had spread to and was now blistering. It did the exact opposite of what it said it was supposed to do. Will never use again."

Cass94 May 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Abreva worked for me up until now. It seems to make it worse. I have tried other things lately because the Abreva isn't cutting the healing time at all. Note, I have been soaking a cotton ball in whole milk and applying it for 5-10 minutes every 2 hours. It takes away the inflammation of the cold sore, feels much more better, blends in with my skin... The milk has antiviral and bacterial properties that help. Try it!"

anonymouz (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I apply Abreva at the very first tingle, it drastically reduces the amount that the cold sore grows to, and reduces my healing time in half. (Without Abreva, my cold sores usually last about 2 weeks from initial tingle to completely healed, and with Abreva only one week.) I get twice yearly outbreaks. Abreva would be more worth it if it were not so over priced."

Happy with Abreva, not price May 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Made it worse probably better off just seeing it through and eating healthy to prevent them"

Cumfunkle May 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Tried it many time, even use it as a preventing fact, still got them and it didn't make them heal any faster, the bottle is package to look bigger than it actually is. I think its a total expensive scam!"

Jayhem May 6, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Abreva helps with the pain and itching that cold sores can cause. But that's it. The herpes virus is internal. It sheds during times of stress or sickness. No topical medication is going to stop the herpes virus from running its course internally. Only oral medications taken by mouth can shorten the cycle of the herpes virus when it sheds. Personally, I take Acyclovir, prescribed by my dermatologist, upon feeling the first tingle of a herpes cold sore. I have found that It cuts the cycle in half. Other people prefer Valtrex. If you want real results during a herpes outbreak, you need an oral medication. Keep it handy in your prescription cabinet. Not a topical cream. Herpes is an internal virus. Talk to your doctor."

Propagandhi (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 6, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I get a cold sore every May and December... Last December I used Abreva " At the first tingle " and it just never developed and was totally healed in 2 days. Now it's May and I cut this one off at the pass even sooner but the results are totally opposite. It does seen smaller and less painful then if I didn't use anything but it's still a full blown cold sore. The jury is still out on this subject. I really can't tell with just 2 uses. But the good news is I have the rest of my life to do more research. I'll update my review next December."

AnthraxB May 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had my doubts about this product based of the negative reviews about it comparing its effectiveness to its cost. I started getting a cold sore yesterday morning and a bump started forming by the time I got off work. I went to buy Abreva and I had used it a total of four times sincerely last night and right now (less than 24 hours). I'll admit that the bump did get bigger overnight reaching its full size (which normally takes me about thee days) and just about half an hour ago, the cold sore finally popped after this fourth application. Cold sores for me usually pop by day five. True to its advertising, it has extremely reduced my healing time. I think people are expecting too much now that I have had my own experience with Abreva."

Minnnesotanbynature (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Save your money ! Abreva is not only expensive, IT DOES NOT work. I used it for the first 3 days from the first tingle. My cold sore did not get smaller it just kept growing. Searched the wed for other alternatives and came across Vicks rub. So glad I gave it a try. Instant pain relief with the Vicks and blister is getting better within a few hours !"

Vanhef April 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Made my blisters worse and didn't relieve my pain . It's too expensive to not work. Will never buy again"

Peanut6708 April 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I get cold sores when I go in excessive sun at least once a year. I could see that the sore was coming this time around, so I grabbed some abreva. Not only did it seem to be of little affect, but it made my blister grow more than I have seen it without treating it with anything. The Abreva takes the pain away, but as for the blistering, it only makes it larger."

Monty2435 April 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I mean, it looks like badly chapped lips but my cold sores are stress induced so they don't look or feel like most of the conditions described on this page. Either way, my symptoms were flaring up, my lips were cracking, a little bit of bleeding, some scarring. I had to do so much exfoliating, it wasn't pretty and it wasn't healing. Legit, 15 minutes after applying abreva - my lips actually look fine. Like nothing was wrong in the first place. I can't believe it. It's actual magic. Wild."

Abreva = magic (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm shocked to read people say this stuff makes your cold sore disappear because I have tried it numerous times and every time my cold sore grows to be huge. Yesterday I drove to the pharmacy when I felt the tingling. I had a tiny blister and I proceeded to apply the abreva. I kept reapplying every 3 to 4 hours and it only seemed to get worse. Woke up in the morning and it was as if I hadn't used anything! The only thing I will say is that my cold sores last about 3-4 days with abreva (at least I think it's because of abreva). I do however need something better for my $21."

Lele83 April 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This stuff doesn't work!!!"

DanielleM88 April 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used to pop cold sores then put rubbing alcohol on it but it would scar bad. So I went to the emergency room they gave me an awesome cream! But I lost the cream and I couldn't get a doctors appointment quick enough so I bought abreva for the first time. At first I thought it was working because it looked like it was drying up the blister fast then put some on before bed but then the next day it started to break out near the blister so I put more on then It started to break out a little more so I put more on extra for a week it has gotten 3 times bigger looked on here saw the negative comments quickly washed it off and bam within 5 minutes it was worse! 5 minutes after removal it was drying up and feeling better! Never using abreva again!"

Agoodnickname (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Right before bed I felt the tingle and saw the tiny hint of a cold sore. Not new to this, and knowing I couldn't get prescription meds until the next day, I sent my husband to the store to get Abeva. I applied it that night and in the morning and again mid morning. I went to the doctor in the afternoon to get a prescription medication. Before I got home from the pharmacy I had a HUGE cold sore. I took the meds and continued the Abreva. The cold sore continued to grow in size and is hideous. I stopped the Abreva and am using Petroleum on the lip with the medication. It's slowly getting better now. I'll never use Abreva ever again."

333rmd (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The tube is a pump Fake. Used it for one day , and next day its gone. It seems like its more than how much is actually in there. Use sparingly. I'd just recommend the push tube , because then you can monitor how much you're actually using. This stuff works well I swear by it. Go get it. The doctors tried to give me a 200 dollar medication -- hahaha not this time. I'd rather pay 40 dollars for two of these."

c square (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"One morning I woke up with a tiny unnoticeable cold sore so I decided to get abreva and so I cleaned the area of the sore an put it on with clean hands an went to bed. I woke up this morning with a huge cold sore that is now spreading bad . Never use it again"

NessaW March 18, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm surprised to see any negative reviews, I guess everyone's body reacts differently and Abreva is no different. It works for me. I've been using it for the past 6 years or more at the first sign I get, usually a tingle or tenderness on the lip. Even if a sore has already formed it seems to quickly stop it in its tracks. Definitely pricey, but the little bottle lasts me years. Love Abreva for doing what it's advertised to do!"

Cza (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor recommended I buy abrevea. I used it several times and it did temporarily help with the pain however when I woke up in the morning my sore was gooey and looked like it had melted all over it cause it to spread on other parts of my lip."

Tdp2345 February 25, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am so impressed with this product. Thursday morning started to get tingling and bubbles, went to the pharmacy and purchased abreva in the afternoon and applied as Directed since then... Here I am Saturday afternoon and already scabbing and drying up. Wow, thanks Abreva !"

Julydream (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This product saves me all the time, if any one has issues they should be sure to consider how to maintain your lip on the path of healing. Examples: DO NOT LICK LIPS, it is such a terrible way to spread to the other parts of your lips and also the inside. I also advise to make sure you put chap-stick to moisten the rest of your lips but not including the infected area because you will spread it. Best advise I can give you is apply Abreva as soon as you feel even the slightest bump. It helps it prevent it and quicken the process. Make sure you use a Q-tip because I think the best way to cure a cold sore is being very clean with it and fast to cure. Abreva is probably best in the market and the first to consider."

Abreva is my best friend February 17, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I woke up in the morning with redness at the site and a very slight bump that I could tell would soon form into a blister. I immediately applied Abreva to the site as instructed, and continued re-applying every 40 minutes or so within 3 hours the cold sore erupted into a full blown multi-blister sore. I quickly removed what ever was there and began to apply Zovirax. I have used it before but wanted to give Abreva a try. I WILL THROW AWAY WHATEVER I HAVE BOUGHT AND WILL NEVER USE ABREVA Again. It literally made it 100 times worse."

MasinMary February 16, 2017