User Reviews for Abreva

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Abreva.

Abreva Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Abreva to treat Herpes Simplex

"I decided to buy Abreva and my cold sores normally take up to a week. The creme made it much worse, I got blisters which I never had like that and I have had a cold sore for 2,5 weeks now. There is even starting another one at the other side of my mouth. "

Katarinaaaaa January 10, 2018

"Re: the comment posted on 12/31/17... Have same experience with Abreva. I've endured cold sores (herpes simplex) all my life. I'd rather volunteer for a root canal than endure a cold sore. There ISN'T ANY product I haven't tried for relief!! EVERY SINGLE TIME I've used Abreva its made things worse!! Its like steroids, blisters appear shortly after I use it!! Wtf? "Help speed the healing process"... ya said the unicorn to the rainbow! It certainly speeds things up, just NOT the healing!!"

Not convinced January 6, 2018

"Very sad. Used abreva at the first time (slight redness and tingling) there was no blister and hardly a bump. Within 12 hours the abreva brought out the cold sore and it has a collection of 6 swollen white blisters on the main sore. It also spread the virus and I feel another coming if the other side of my upper lip and well as my lower lip. I am speechless. Do not buy this!!! PLEASE!!!"

User5 December 31, 2017

"I'm 52 and married when I experienced my 1st cold sore. My pharmacist recommended abreva which I used with ice and apple cider vinegar, it never fully developed and is barley visible by day 3, we will see what happens"

First timer1 December 30, 2017

"As others have stated, Abreva does little to stop the growth of cold sores. Even used at the first sign (tingling, soreness, etc.) it seems to make sores grow faster and then spread all over my lips like wildfire. I tried H-balm (I use extra strength) and it was heaps better"

YaNasty (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2017

"I’ve use this product and it worked the first time after a week of stopping it another one came and I’ve used this again now it’s making it worse I’ve been suffering with two different spots on my lips for a month I’m taking the Zovirax pills and I think I’m allergic to them they keep making me itch Help need something this is terrible"

Anonymous December 27, 2017

"I had cold sores all the time growing up. When abreva came out, I used it as soon as I felt the tingle. I only used it two times and have not had a cold sore ever since, at least 15 years now and nothing."

glassartist (taken for 10 years or more) December 20, 2017

"I had a really bad outbreak and was recommended by a clinician to put abreva on it and take acyclovir anti-viral pills. I used TWO WHOLE PUMP BOTTLES OF ABREVA AND NOTHING CHANGED! The acyclovir didn't help either. Tried alcohol and saw a huge difference instead. Don't use Abreva. Use 70+% alcohol."

James Frolic December 6, 2017

"This product makes the cold sore worse. It made my one pimple sized cold sores itch and 2 more popped in the area. I have given it a chance in the past (3 more times) but now am convinced that it doesn't work. ITS THE MOST ADVERTISED ON TV but its JUST A SCAM. Please save your money and try something like tree tea oil to make the blister small and dry."

strugglingmac December 5, 2017

"I always get face blisters from wind-burn or mild sunburn. Abreva helps only if I use it at the time of the damage, not wait til blisters appear. It keeps them from spreading all over my face. And that is terrible. I use it for regular fever blisters too. I have to use it the night before the outbreak."

judyfromArkansas (taken for 10 years or more) December 2, 2017

"I've been getting cold sores once or twice a year for the past 20 years and they've always been the same size, so I know my personal cold sores. I felt the signs of getting a cold sore so having heard abreva actually worked I thought I'd give it a shot. At this point the cold sore was a tiny bump no bigger than a pinhead. After trying the pump bottle, my cold sore got a little bigger but I didn't think anything of it at first other than that I must not have caught it in time so that's why it grew more and I kept using abreva. THIS WAS A TERRIBLE THING TO TRY. This cold sore is now the biggest I have ever had in my life, has spread to HALF of my upper lip, and it is so swollen and painful! This is because of abreva DO NOT USE!"

Iwantmy Moneyback (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2017

"Please stay away from this product new Abreva spreads cold sores I have 3 now instead of one little one."

Sadmanmike1987y November 21, 2017

"I typically don't get cold sores. I've only had 3-4 in my whole life, and they began when I was 25 years old. I get them every 1-2 years. I chose to use Abreva because it alleviates the pain, and is supposed to help with healing time. The Abreva in the US now comes in a pump form, and is much more liquid than the original. Abreva never cured my fever blisters in the 2.5 days they say it can, but it did used to help. This time, it exacerbated my blister, and it is HUGE! It has not spread like the other reviews have stated, but it's larger than normal, and I can only imagine that it's the Abreva I've been using 5-8 times a day. Do not use this product. It either doesn't work, or it makes it worse. Both are bad scenarios. Use vanilla extract."

katekatekate (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2017

"Abreva did not work and I believe caused them to spread on my lower lip. I have 6 different sores on my whole bottom lip in different stages. I'm 33 and I don't normally use abreva but I'm out of town so I bought it in a pinch. I've never experienced this spreading before in this degree. I will never use abreva again."

Chris Tina 84 (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2017

"I bought Abreva when I felt my first tingle. I applied it 5/6 times a day every day. My cold sore got huge.I still have my cold sore and I'm on day 12 :( now a new sore is popping up. I felt the tingle of the Abreva every time I put it on, but it didn't help at all."

Janne0909 November 14, 2017

"This was my first time buying Abreva. I am disappointed. It actually made my cold sore bigger. It also spread. Right when I thought it was over, one began in a different place! That has never happened before. I'm back to placing green tea bags on it."

1986AY November 10, 2017

"I have been using abreva for four days. The second day I noticed it was getting better. Today on the fourth day I noticed that smaller bumps around my cold sore are starting to form. It made my cold sores smaller but now I have to deal with what it caused. Very disappointed because having a cold sore isn't pretty. Just when I thought it was getting better, something else pops up. It was very expensive so I was really looking forward to a better experience."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

"I've had cold sores come up before but normally treating the area with ice and lemon juice stopped it from coming out but this time I didn't have the chance to do that so it ended up sprouting out. It started off small and I applied abreva but it just got bigger and bigger. I don't think that's the abreva's fault because it was bound to get bigger but I think it may be spreading because of it. It honestly doesn't do much and it also doesn't feel like anything is happening. I prefer using vanilla extract, ice, lemon juice, advil paste and cornstarch paste to help because I actually feel it working."

Juila Mickel October 17, 2017

"I've always suspected that when I use abreva, while it may shorten the life of one cold sore, another often developed right after it. It happened this time, so now I'm convinced. I had 3 different spots that took 9 days to heal and now that those are gone, I have another popping up! I'm thinking you just have to let them run their course- maybe use a lysine product to reduce pain."

Bananabrain (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2017

"I don't know what they did but this product just doesn't work the way it used to, used to. Only provides minor relief for a very short period of time and doesn't do at all what is advertised."

Jay M6565 October 11, 2017

"Abreva always worked for me but this time I think I started too late. I woke up with a cold sore it was not big but red and past the tingly stage "

Nanania September 22, 2017

"I, too, thought Abreva was magic.. for awhile. It was so reliable. If I caught the tingle early enough, no cold sore developed. If it was already in progress, it healed so quickly and painlessly. It always worked and so I gladly paid the high price. A little over a year ago, I got one that started on my nose and took over half of my face. It got infected and I needed two types of antibiotics. I didn't suspect the Abreva, until now. This week, I used Abreva on a really small one on my lip, and now it's all the space between my lip and nose, advancing toward my eye, and I'm so swollen I can't eat. Antibiotics again. Goodbye Abreva. Forever."

LAMarky September 1, 2017

"I've been using it for 4 days and hasn't made the sores any better only worse . Waste of my hard earned money ."

Nick Denaril September 1, 2017

"Starting getting cold sores a few years ago and Abreva used to work but now I have used it last time and this time and not only does not work but appears to make it worse. I usually only have one small one the whole time and it is gone in a few days. Now, both times I have used it, the one cold sore tripled and it bigger than ever. Will not waste my money on this product anymore. They have definitely changed something and not for the better."

lesjumar August 28, 2017

"I got a cold sore yesterday morning, it was quite small and barely noticeable. I put abreva on and put it on like 10 times and when I woke up this morning it was bigger and more painful. It does not work. I don't get cold sores quite often, only when I'm very sick or physically drained (I'm a lifeguard and swim teacher). This was a huge disappointment, especially for how expensive it was."

Livieeeee August 16, 2017