User Reviews for Abreva

Abreva Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Abreva to treat Herpes Simplex

"Used it for the first time,j ust as I was starting to get a cold sore. They next day my sore was ten times the size, became white and after two weeks still the same. Went to see the doctor and it caused an ulcer on my lip which had to be removed. I will never use this product again."

bug (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

"I hope this helps somebody. I've been getting fever blisters since I was a kid. Over the years of dealing with them and researching better ways to fight them and experimenting on my own, I found a cocktail way of beating this viruses ass. When I first get the bumps, I will go home and sterilize a needle and pop them (I know its not recommended, but it works for me). Once they are popped I put hydrogen peroxide on them with a cotton swab. Once the H.P. has been on for about 5 minutes I will wipe it off. I will then apply tea tree oil that is diluted with coconut oil to dry out the wound and clean it. About 10 minutes after that I will put on abreva, then 10-15 minutes after that I will put more tea tree oil on. For me this stops the spread and within 12 hours I notice a scab starting to form. I will repeat the abreva and tea tree oil until it is gone while also taking lysine supplements (4000-5000mg a day)."

NG June 20, 2018

"I usually use Herpecin L for my cold sores (definitely recommend), but I ran out and went to CVS to get more, but they only had abreva, so I got that instead. I applied the Abreva and within hours my cold sore got WORSE. I have NEVER had a cold sore this bad before using abreva. The fact that they charge $20 for this garbage is appalling. I will attempt to return the product because I am highly unsatisified. I will never use this again, even if it is my only option, because not only did it not relieve the cold sore, it made it 10x worse. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS INEFFECTIVE PRODUCT."

PissedOff (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2018

"This was an awful experience. My sore was in the inside of my lower lip. Pharmacist told me to us this product. Said it was the best thing ever. Was he wrong. My mouth is full of sores and my tongue. Now I have to go to the doctor to get something to heal it I am in so much pain. You need to get it off the market. My face was so numb and on fire and tingling I almost went to the hospital thinking I was having a stroke."

Sore mouth June 19, 2018

"So mad at myself for using this on my cold sore. It didn't do anything except make it so much worse. I kept getting them too, even if I used abreva at the first tingle. And each time they got bigger and bigger. I wish I had just gone and got a prescription antiviral, which I take now. Because now I have a horrid permanent scar from the cold sores I got while using this."

lolachorra123 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 8, 2018

"Abreva is a trainwreck. I usually opt for isopropyl alcohol & salt, and tea tree oil; Cannabidiol to numb - and haven't had to deal with one for more than a few days in years. I got a cold sore big enough to daunt me, though, & went ahead & got abreva. At first nothing - figured it needed time. Applied dilligently - every 2 to 3 hours. Intense swelling - never in my life had swelling like this. Noticed a couple days in that it leaves a waxy residue - completely preventing it from airing & holding all moisture in; essentially letting it have a field day under there. Got it off & despite pain, went with the tried & true salt paste. It leeched the fluid out & had the swelling down a bit within the hour & its on its way to scabbing finally now. Can not believe I paid $20 for something that made it so much worse. Never again."

AM (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

"Felt the tingle so rushed and bought the newer pump formula and applied multiple times through the day. Woke up the next day with what looked like 3rd degree burn blisters on my lip! I would never recommend this."

Simplex1 May 15, 2018

"I have never used anything for the sores before. I just let them do their thing for about two weeks or so. Well, I get married in less than that and felt one coming on. Now, the sore isn’t getting any bigger than it normally would, HOWEVER the stages are much faster. Day 3 and already scabbed over and getting better. Looks like my lip will be clear before my wedding! I’m impressed."

SatifiedAndHappy (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

"I had one small blister on my upper lip but after applying Abreva according to the directions, the whole side of my lip broke out in a cluster of small blisters 5 times larger than the original blister within 4 hours! I will never buy this product again!!!"

NeverAgain (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2018

"At the first tingle I went a bought a tube of abreva, the next day my blister was horrible. Thought maybe it took a little bit time, bought another tube 3 days later and my blister has been the biggest I have ever had. I advise do NOT waste your money. This is horrible. I bought a can of Lysol spray and 2 days later my blister finally looks like it is starting to go away !! Coconut oil and tree tea oil has also helped decrease the redness"

NotAhappyCamper (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2018

"Only one word comes to mind regarding Abreva....FRAUD!!! Don't pay $20.00 something dollars for this garbage to make your cold sores worse!!! Don't do it!!!"

Joey Nelson (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

"I followed the directions and also used ice. A lot of rest. Protected unaffected parts of lip with Carmex. You have to keep your lips clean apply 5 times a day at the first sign of child sore. Take lysine AND vitamin c and biotin. Avoid stress. Drink lots of water. Day2 it swelled a little more But the ice reduced it."

User (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2018

"Please do not use this!!! I wish I had read the reviews on here beforehand. I woke up with a small section of redness and put abreva on it to get ahead of the virus (which I never do, but I have a trip coming up). Within the day my lip was swollen with not one, but two huge blisters. It's the worst breakout I've ever had and I wish I had never used this stupid cream. Stay away!"

Anonymous April 14, 2018

"I've tried it twice. Both times it exacerbated the cold sore.Ended up tossing it out.Save your money. Wanted to share my experience.Had a breakout of small cold sores over a period of time.Used Equate antibiotic cream.Dabbed it on..gone next day. Each time.Just figured it was luck. Woke up with a big one one morning...Used equate liberally at home all day. it stopped all irritation, redness and swelling. Still had some pain. But the sore was hardly noticable. Dabbed it on for the next two days and it was gone. The whole time I had it I wasn't self conscience about it. Also works on other blemishes. I had an age spot on my forehead that would grow. I would scratch at it. It would bleed and come back. Last year same thing. I scratch it off but this time used equate cream..The age spot is still gone ..Been about a year This stuff is cheap. It won't irratate your skin and you have nothing to lose by trying. Hope it works for you. Best of luck!"

Cski49 (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

"Guys I think it’s just big Pharma ripping people off. Abreva is just a form of alcohol, look it up. The best stuff I’ve found to heal faster is: acetone applies topically, taken an antiviral, lysine and virulite"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

"I had a cold sore coming and after applying this product I have cluster of them and above my lip too it spread all over. Oh yeah bought a tube one and a spray one they both do the same which spread the cold sore. STAY AWAY SO YOU WONT BE DEPRESSED LIKE ME "

Saddude March 28, 2018

"Garbage product & a rip-off."

Peeved (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2018

"ZINC OXIDE gets rid of herpes simplex in half a day and overnight, there is no sign of it PLUS IT NEVER COMES BACK !!!!!!! Forget Abreva ..."

Veritas March 17, 2018

"Horrible product .... It made my cold sore worse"

KL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2018

"Yesterday I noticed the tingling and my bottom lip felt particularly chapped in the middle. Added a dap to that area and went to bed. Woke up to two enormous blisters right on the middle of my bottom lip line and a swollen burning lip. I don't know what the purpose of this formula is but it does the total opposite of its purpose."

Donotbuy (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

"I am not a person who gets cold sores often but I had Abreva at my house and I had the scare last time. Today I at the tingly an itchy feeling within half an hour I have put the medicine on my lip hoping it would make it better and not blister up because it was nothing but redness instead it made things a hundred times worse. Within 12 hours I felt discomfort so I went to check what's going on and when I wiped off the Abreva I realized that there's a group of blisters like a blister cluster in two areas of my lips, one on the top and one on the bottom. It looks horrible there's no way I can cover it up with makeup, it still feels tingly and itchy and swollen from the inside, this medication is horrible I will never use it again. It's not only a waste of money but as I'm reading comments I'm not the only one who's cold sore in made much worse. Thanks Abreva now I can't leave my house for a week I'm sure, I wish I could get my money back from this scam."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2018

"I get 3 cold sores a year for the last 40 years. I normally use Acyclovir and it is gone in two days, and never breaks the surface. I am out and my doctor is out of town. So, I decided to use the "FDA approved" Abreva. Absolute garbage! I have never seen a cold sore get as huge as this. Puffed up my lip, just a mess. I am going on a week now, and I can not get rid of the scab. Never again!!!"

Viper (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

"I have experienced cold sores since the age of 17..... They were usually very large over all. I may have used Abreva in the past but it is a little bit pricy for the amount. I had a small little bubble in the middle of my top lip so I put an alcohol swab on it and the scab would form eventually. No big deal. 2 days later I woke up to another one adjacent from it on my bottom lip (much more tender area). So I was in a panic. I dabbed some tea tree oil & darted off to the pharmacy. Couldn't open the package of Abreva fast enough. I was going fishing on a boat this particular day & didn't want the sun flattering my newest edition to my lip. I had even poked a hole to alleviate a little pressure. To cut to the chase I felt pressure on it the whole day & it was puffy & full of fluid regardless of the multiple applications. Summary ; Awful & a complete waste of money. I decided to google "Abreva doesnt work" & now I am here. I should have just saved the 20$"

Danyelley February 18, 2018

"I haven't had this problem with abreva before, but it made my cold sore grow bigger for whatever reason. When I was younger it got rid of the cold sore within 3-4 days. The formula or my immune system have changed, either way, it's ineffective. Opted to use natural methods instead, such as tea tree oil, raw honey, and pure vanilla extract interchangeably, and the results are way better. PLUS, you can walk around in public without a questionable white clump on your lips."

Anonymous February 17, 2018

"I list a worthwhile remedy after my abreva review. Knee jerk at first tingle, forked over the dough. Never had luck with it before, but third tube in a decade maybe it would work. Product only exacerbated cold sore. While kicking myself for being gullible I tried home remedies from online. Abreva’s claim to fame is they’re listed with the FDA for cold sores. Doesn’t mean it works! Coconut oil, ice cube, apple cider vinegar, work better but they are not approved by the FDA for use and will never be officially sanctioned for use as such nor officially endorsed by conventional medical professionals. This is harsh but I was desperate: Isopropyl alcohol applied with swab, Ice cube, dr Christopher’s comfrey ointment, coconut oil and a minuscule dab of triple antibiotic in the morning, after lunch, after work, and before bed. Three days later and it’s barely noticeable. Good luck!"

El dudorino (taken for 10 years or more) February 11, 2018