User Reviews for Abreva

Abreva Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex.

Reviews for Abreva to treat Herpes Simplex

"I've tried it twice. Both times it exacerbated the cold sore.Ended up tossing it out.Save your money. Wanted to share my experience.Had a breakout of small cold sores over a period of time.Used Equate antibiotic cream.Dabbed it on..gone next day. Each time.Just figured it was luck. Woke up with a big one one morning...Used equate liberally at home all day. it stopped all irritation, redness and swelling. Still had some pain. But the sore was hardly noticable. Dabbed it on for the next two days and it was gone. The whole time I had it I wasn't self conscience about it. Also works on other blemishes. I had an age spot on my forehead that would grow. I would scratch at it. It would bleed and come back. Last year same thing. I scratch it off but this time used equate cream..The age spot is still gone ..Been about a year This stuff is cheap. It won't irratate your skin and you have nothing to lose by trying. Hope it works for you. Best of luck!"

Cski49 (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

"Guys I think it’s just big Pharma ripping people off. Abreva is just a form of alcohol, look it up. The best stuff I’ve found to heal faster is: acetone applies topically, taken an antiviral, lysine and virulite"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

"I had a cold sore coming and after applying this product I have cluster of them and above my lip too it spread all over. Oh yeah bought a tube one and a spray one they both do the same which spread the cold sore. STAY AWAY SO YOU WONT BE DEPRESSED LIKE ME "

Saddude March 28, 2018

"Garbage product & a rip-off."

Peeved (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2018

"ZINC OXIDE gets rid of herpes simplex in half a day and overnight, there is no sign of it PLUS IT NEVER COMES BACK !!!!!!! Forget Abreva ..."

Veritas March 17, 2018

"Horrible product .... It made my cold sore worse"

KL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2018

"Yesterday I noticed the tingling and my bottom lip felt particularly chapped in the middle. Added a dap to that area and went to bed. Woke up to two enormous blisters right on the middle of my bottom lip line and a swollen burning lip. I don't know what the purpose of this formula is but it does the total opposite of its purpose."

Donotbuy (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

"I am not a person who gets cold sores often but I had Abreva at my house and I had the scare last time. Today I at the tingly an itchy feeling within half an hour I have put the medicine on my lip hoping it would make it better and not blister up because it was nothing but redness instead it made things a hundred times worse. Within 12 hours I felt discomfort so I went to check what's going on and when I wiped off the Abreva I realized that there's a group of blisters like a blister cluster in two areas of my lips, one on the top and one on the bottom. It looks horrible there's no way I can cover it up with makeup, it still feels tingly and itchy and swollen from the inside, this medication is horrible I will never use it again. It's not only a waste of money but as I'm reading comments I'm not the only one who's cold sore in made much worse. Thanks Abreva now I can't leave my house for a week I'm sure, I wish I could get my money back from this scam."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2018

"I get 3 cold sores a year for the last 40 years. I normally use Acyclovir and it is gone in two days, and never breaks the surface. I am out and my doctor is out of town. So, I decided to use the "FDA approved" Abreva. Absolute garbage! I have never seen a cold sore get as huge as this. Puffed up my lip, just a mess. I am going on a week now, and I can not get rid of the scab. Never again!!!"

Viper (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

"I have experienced cold sores since the age of 17..... They were usually very large over all. I may have used Abreva in the past but it is a little bit pricy for the amount. I had a small little bubble in the middle of my top lip so I put an alcohol swab on it and the scab would form eventually. No big deal. 2 days later I woke up to another one adjacent from it on my bottom lip (much more tender area). So I was in a panic. I dabbed some tea tree oil & darted off to the pharmacy. Couldn't open the package of Abreva fast enough. I was going fishing on a boat this particular day & didn't want the sun flattering my newest edition to my lip. I had even poked a hole to alleviate a little pressure. To cut to the chase I felt pressure on it the whole day & it was puffy & full of fluid regardless of the multiple applications. Summary ; Awful & a complete waste of money. I decided to google "Abreva doesnt work" & now I am here. I should have just saved the 20$"

Danyelley February 18, 2018

"I haven't had this problem with abreva before, but it made my cold sore grow bigger for whatever reason. When I was younger it got rid of the cold sore within 3-4 days. The formula or my immune system have changed, either way, it's ineffective. Opted to use natural methods instead, such as tea tree oil, raw honey, and pure vanilla extract interchangeably, and the results are way better. PLUS, you can walk around in public without a questionable white clump on your lips."

Anonymous February 17, 2018

"I list a worthwhile remedy after my abreva review. Knee jerk at first tingle, forked over the dough. Never had luck with it before, but third tube in a decade maybe it would work. Product only exacerbated cold sore. While kicking myself for being gullible I tried home remedies from online. Abreva’s claim to fame is they’re listed with the FDA for cold sores. Doesn’t mean it works! Coconut oil, ice cube, apple cider vinegar, work better but they are not approved by the FDA for use and will never be officially sanctioned for use as such nor officially endorsed by conventional medical professionals. This is harsh but I was desperate: Isopropyl alcohol applied with swab, Ice cube, dr Christopher’s comfrey ointment, coconut oil and a minuscule dab of triple antibiotic in the morning, after lunch, after work, and before bed. Three days later and it’s barely noticeable. Good luck!"

El dudorino (taken for 10 years or more) February 11, 2018

"I highly advise against Abreva especially if you have sensitive skin. If I could post a before and after picture I would. I use the generic CVS brand and it fastens the process of healing the sore. It comes in a small white tube and for the pain (if any) I use cbd oil to numb out any uncomfortability. Abreva has actually made the sore grow and it blistered up my lip causing it to crack and split down the middle. Ive never had a sore so bad or for more than 7 days. It has been three weeks and it's finally almost completely unnoticeable or gone. I used the CVS brand for a week then began to use Blistex (medicated) which you can buy also at your local pharmacy. I would only recommend using the Blistex chapstick once the sore is scabbed over or almost healed in order to help the healing process and also fasten it. I've been doing a lot of research on what products would help heal or prevent the sores from popping up and Abreva is not one!"

Anonkid (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

"From the second I felt a tiny little dot of a cold sore I started to use abreva, and use it at least 5 times a day. My cold sore is enormous, the biggest thing ever, it quadrupled in size. Not happy"

Kim55 February 7, 2018

"Abreva is a scam. I'm pretty sure the only thing Abreva helped was my cold sore take my lip hostage for 2 weeks. Don't waste your money, I'd recommend setting the cold sore on fire before recommending Abreva."

DallasFly (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2018

"I started using at the first sign of a breakout!! I’ve had many in the past and I know what they feel like. I thought this was perfect. I was already in the car and on my way to the store so I grabbed the Abreva for $22.99 and figured it was worth it. By the time I had used the second application that evening the sore had gotten bigger and by the morning it had spread onto my skin above my lip (which has NEVER happened before)!!! I could not be more disappointed. I will NEVER use this product again. I want my money back which is ridiculous anyway but when you’re desperate you do what you have to do. I feel this company preys on the public’s desperation to get rid of these sores quickly so they overprice a terrible product. I’m going back to Carmax. A much cheaper but better product by far!!"

DinP (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2018

"I've gotten cold sores a few times in the past but the one and only time I used abreva to treat one, I found it did absolutely nothing. It did not stop it from growing, it did not stop it from scabbing over and all in all the cold sore still took over a week to go away as they generally do without treatment. Abreva was a complete waste of money in my opinion as it made no difference in how a cold sore would naturally progress and heal from my experience."

clynnclynn (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2018

"I purchased Abreva because I could feel the tingling that meant a cold sore was coming. First time user. I followed all directions and all it did was make it worse. All the hype in the commercials are not true. Do not waste your money!"

Sallyfield (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2018

"Bought it when I first sensed the cold sore. Today is my 2nd day and I haven’t seen any change at all. The cold sore actually has gotten bigger! Total wastw of money!!!!!"

Anonymous January 17, 2018

"I decided to buy Abreva and my cold sores normally take up to a week. The creme made it much worse, I got blisters which I never had like that and I have had a cold sore for 2,5 weeks now. There is even starting another one at the other side of my mouth. "

Katarinaaaaa January 10, 2018

"Re: the comment posted on 12/31/17... Have same experience with Abreva. I've endured cold sores (herpes simplex) all my life. I'd rather volunteer for a root canal than endure a cold sore. There ISN'T ANY product I haven't tried for relief!! EVERY SINGLE TIME I've used Abreva its made things worse!! Its like steroids, blisters appear shortly after I use it!! Wtf? "Help speed the healing process"... ya said the unicorn to the rainbow! It certainly speeds things up, just NOT the healing!!"

Not convinced January 6, 2018

"Very sad. Used abreva at the first time (slight redness and tingling) there was no blister and hardly a bump. Within 12 hours the abreva brought out the cold sore and it has a collection of 6 swollen white blisters on the main sore. It also spread the virus and I feel another coming if the other side of my upper lip and well as my lower lip. I am speechless. Do not buy this!!! PLEASE!!!"

User5 December 31, 2017

"I'm 52 and married when I experienced my 1st cold sore. My pharmacist recommended abreva which I used with ice and apple cider vinegar, it never fully developed and is barley visible by day 3, we will see what happens"

First timer1 December 30, 2017

"As others have stated, Abreva does little to stop the growth of cold sores. Even used at the first sign (tingling, soreness, etc.) it seems to make sores grow faster and then spread all over my lips like wildfire. I tried H-balm (I use extra strength) and it was heaps better"

YaNasty (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2017

"I’ve use this product and it worked the first time after a week of stopping it another one came and I’ve used this again now it’s making it worse I’ve been suffering with two different spots on my lips for a month I’m taking the Zovirax pills and I think I’m allergic to them they keep making me itch Help need something this is terrible"

Anonymous December 27, 2017