User Reviews for Valtrex

Herpes Zoster
8.1

Summary of Valtrex reviews 9.1 229 reviews

Reviews for Valtrex

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I took 500 MG Valtrex daily for almost a year while I had insurance back in 2005. I've had herpes since 1980 and I'm almost 59 now...I experienced outbreaks almost monthly for most of my adult life, and often several of them. Right after I got my last tattoo I got FIVE at once. In any case, during the entire time I was taking Valtrex, I experienced ZERO lesions. I finally have insurance again and I asked my doctor for a prescription, which she gave me, but is only to shorten episodes. I really want the daily doses so I can maybe even think about having a relationship with someone. In my book Valtrex is a miracle drug."

Sugar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Absolutely brilliant drug, tried everything calm this horrible disease over the last 6yrs. Started taking valtrex for last few months and feel amazing again, all the tingling and outbreaks have gone."

Jay75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2018

For Cold Sores "I’ve gotten horrific cold sores ever since I was a kid. There have been many times that I stayed home from work and school because I felt so disgusting, but thanks to this stuff I don’t have to worry about that so much anymore. I had a dermatologist that began prescribing me 1g tablets and instructed me to take 3 whenever I feel like a cold sore might be coming on. That helped me so much! I used to get outbreaks at least once a month and now I only get them 1-2 times a year! Amazing!"

Montyisthebest August 9, 2018

For Cold Sores "I started to get cold sores about 1x/year starting 10 years ago. Tried everything (Zovirax etc), nothing worked. I already had Valacyclovir on hand and ready though it had never worked because I hadn’t taken the right dosage. I would only take 500 mg 2x a day-no help! Friend told me I had to take more than 500 mg. I felt it tingling 3 nights ago, took 1g. Next morning was still tingling, took another 1g. Still tingled, and bumps were forming. Then found this thread, saw everyone took 2 g, so took 2 g that night (2 nights ago now). Next morning, tiny bumps were still there and it was swollen and tingling crazy. Took 2nd batch of 2g yesterday morn. Over the day the swelling went down, the bumps flattened. Tingling lessened a bit. It never turned bright red. Today it’s gone though I swear I can feel a slight tingle, may take a lighter dose to prevent it returning. I never thought it would work. Take 2 g twice. I have the generic brand, not actual “Valtrex”. Crisis diverted!"

Anony August 6, 2018

For Cold Sores "I recently used Valtrex for my cold sores. I was at work and some time after lunch around 1-2pm I felt a tingle and a weird sensation on my lip. When to the bathroom and saw a little tiny pustule in the center of my lip. I didn’t have any medicine with me at work and wasn’t able to get my first dosage of 2g until 6pm. I woke up and took the second dosage at 6:30am and now it’s gone! Whatever little swelling was there just disappeared. The cold sore never raised or formed. I was able to stop it right in its tracks! Btw I RARELY ever get cold sores. One maybe every 4 years or so but this year I had 2 wishing 4 months time so I was ready with medication on hand just in case and it literally was amazing. A non issue basically. Good stuff!"

Newbie (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 2, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I just found out that I have genital herpes. I was depressed, my ex boyfriend accused me of getting it first where in fact I only had sex with him without contraceptive so for sure he got it first and gave it to me. So my obgyn prescribed me Valtrex Its definitely a life saver for me since the initial outbreak . Expensive but it works"

Helloworld (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2018

For Cold Sores "As an anxious person, I was worried when I saw how many pills to ingest and the possible side-effects. Decided to jump in and let me tell you, the benefits outweighed my fears. I could feel it erupting - took the medication and the very next day I was 95% healed. There will be no more Abreva / blistex for me. This is the way to go. Thank you Valtrex. (Took the generic form)"

Isabelle (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I was diagnosed with HSV 2 in 2001 after having sex for the first time. I was in so much pain and suffered from urinary retention and had to wear a catheter for about 2 months. I was so embarrassed and depressed. My partner accused me of giving him the virus; however, I was a virgin. I take Valtrex prn and luckily I only have one to two outbreaks a year that last about 3 days and include one to two small blisters. No more urinary retention. I just wish I would have questioned my partner sooner related to a history of STDs."

Kim (taken for 10 years or more) April 16, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I was diagnosed with hsv1 genitally and on the face. Just started on valtarex within a short time blisters started eating up. Mine you iIdo get a horrible stinging pain down below thought it was a UTI lab results proved otherwise. I'm struggling with dealing with the news as hsv1 down below is unusal to have. Anyone know of any great support groups. I'm in Perth haven't been able to find any locally"

Missy (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2018

For Cold Sores "Hi, After suffering these horrid, sometimes extremely painful ugly blisters for years I am glad I found a doctor who prescribed this drug Valtrex. Sometimes my blister would last up to 10 days and then one on each side of bottom cheek! Now at the first niggle I start taking them. I only need to take Valtrex x 2 daily for 5 days and I have relief - until the next big stressful event. But I only need to take them again for 5 days. Happy."

Nemi (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I’ve been using Valtrex for the past 5 years, both episodically and for suppression. I’ve done a year of suppression twice now and have had excellent results both times. Used episodically, I’m always better within three days. It’s been a life saver for me. Just remember, you may have herpes, but it doesn’t have to have you. This isn’t a disease of dirty people or people with questionable morals. It doesn’t discriminate. People shouldn’t, either."

NurseLivesMatter (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2018

For Cold Sores "I've had coldsores for as long as I can remember. I used to get it every few months until about grade 12 where I would get it 1-2 times every month (and they like to spread). They were so bad that my lips are permanently discoloured. It was a teacher that recommended me to ask my doctor about valtrex and every since then I finally have them under control with only one getting the best of me every few months. If you're someone that struggle taking pills it's going to be hard on you, but it's completely worth it."

Anne.T February 16, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I had never had an outbreak until I reached 71. I wish I had some exciting news about how I got Herpes Simplex. But alas, no. I made up for lost time and had 7 outbreaks in 5 months. Oooh the pain and ugliness. On 8-16-17 I received a shot of Valtrex. It was a miracle. I want to pass on the best treatment is to slather vaseline over all affected areas. It keeps it from spreading and helps the discomfort. Thx"

Big Red Bunny February 16, 2018

For Cold Sores "Thank you for this medicine! It works unbelievably well. I get mega cold sores they can take over my entire bottom lip. Not only are they embarrassing but also incredibly painful. This medicine works miracles. As soon as I feel that awful itch that indicates the cold sore coming through I take one of these pills and a second 12 hours later. They will either completely prevent the cold sore from coming through or at the very least minimize the appearance and speed up recovery time. Not only that, I used to get a cold sore at least every three months. Now I’m down to about every six months or so. This medicine has changed my life."

Over cold sores November 14, 2017

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompromised Host "I caught genital herpes from my Ex wife in 2015, she never told me about the virus. I had it for 2 years with so many outbreaks, and it affected my life.. People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation but herpes has a long term effects on health. The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. Most people have herpes in one form or another, I was first taking Antiviral medicines, such as acyclovir(Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex), are recommended for treating primary genital herpes outbreaks. This medicine can be taken when an outbreak occurs. It can also be taken every day to help prevent outbreaks, it is not a total cure but sure helps"

alexandersam (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I was supposed to take this for supressive therapy, but I stopped after my outbreak because I couldn't stand the side effects. This pill made me dizzy and I could hardly function at work. I don't know if this or the HSV 1 is worse."

CJ1234 August 30, 2017

For Cold Sores "Generic does not work as well as trade brand, Valtrex - not even close"

coldsoresyears (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2017

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Hey all! I'm 62 and have lived with it since June of 1978...almost 40 years! Just started Valtrex this summer because outbreaks were literally constant with 3 to 5 lesions at once! The itching...omg! Had to numb with a ice cube in a plastic bag and it worked, too! For some reason, this disease has became worse in the last few years which my ob-gyn cannot understand. Back in the early 80s, Time mag wrote a long article on it as it was newer and b4 the Aids epidemic hit. In it was a line that said, "this thing has a mind of it's own," and "u won't kill it but it won't kill u either!" So true!! Google the article as I found it online a few months ago. And...take care."

Black cats July 31, 2017

For Cold Sores "I'm 19 years old and I've been getting cold sores ever since I was young...the last few years I would get them a couple times a month sometimes a new one every week. I've been taking valtrex for a few months now and I've gotten only 3 times (which is a major improvement) because I was sick and my immune system was down. But they went away after a day or so. I'm so so happy"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I can't afford this medication. No insurance and it is ridiculously expensive even though I would love to try it as suppressive therapy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I only take this medication when I feel an outbreak coming. It's a burning sensation in my Vagina. I take two 500mg daily for about a week and a half. I wind down to 1 pill by day 5. I'm in the clear by day 8. The outbreak never comes to blisters. Its like a home run. I only catch an outbreaks once or twice a year. I actually forget I have it until I get the sad reminder. It is usually stimulated by my stress. Hope this was helpful."

Keep the Faith April 20, 2017

For Cold Sores "Valtrex is amazing! I have suffered my whole life from cold sores, usually covering with makeup, alcohol, abreva (obviously nothing worked) then my doctor suggested valtrex which is phenomenal!!!! My outbreaks only last maybe 3 days compared to 8-12!"

Daniellem88 April 17, 2017

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "This drug has been 100% effective, I first start taking 500mg and had just had mild out breaks, decided to up the dose to 1mg a day and had no outbreaks since then. Highly recommend taking it for those who experience more than 12 outbreaks a year."

Joana M April 12, 2017

For Cold Sores "Had cold sores all my life... got my first breakout at age 15 and it was terrifying I had no idea what they were. Used everything and tried everything and nothing worked! It was hell. In January I went to the dermatologist and he saw that I had cold sores so he prescribed me valtrex. It's life changing, and what I love most is I actually see a change within the first day or second day. It stops the swelling and stops the cold sores from growing... it's amazing. Call your doctor and ask him for some valtrex!"

Lizzy M. March 16, 2017

For CMV Prophylaxis "I am immune-compromised from ME/CFS for 17 years. This drug at a dose of 1500 mg/day restored my cognitive clarity to 100%. At only 1000 mg/day my cognitive clarity fell off substantially...a 20 point IQ drop, perhaps. When my MD took away my Valtrex one time because she thought my kidneys were at risk after I had white cells in a urine test, I became pseudo-demented and had to use a three-wheeled walker without Valtrex! I also have vestibular migraine that is treated with 350 mg/day of topamax and it gets worse without the Valtrex. As soon as I went back on the Valtrex, I perked up immediately and didn't need the walker."

Seizethecarp (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2017