User Reviews for Valtrex

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host

8.5

Summary of Valtrex reviews 9.0 253 reviews

Reviews for Valtrex

runnerguyntx March 10, 2020

For Cold Sores "51 year old healthy male. In my 30's and 40's, I would get the worst cold sores. I was prescribed Valtrex about 10 years ago as needed for outbreaks. The outbreaks lessened in recent years, to maybe 1-2 a year, and shorter/less painful. However, in the last 6 months I've started having recurrent outbreaks, about once every 4-6 weeks, age, stress most likely. My doctor started prescribing me valtrex daily. Today, I got up from bed and had a very small cold sore on the corner of my mouth. Very frustrated and took an additional 1g tablet to help, and thankfully, it hasn't become worse. Will see over time if it works on frequency. I will say, valtrex has helped shorten the duration (now just a few days compared to weeks before), lessen the severity and pain (now small, barely there ones). In rare occasions, I've been able to stop an outbreak before it occurs, but that's so hard to do. I am very empathetic to my fellow cold sore strugglers, and to me the best cold sore is NO cold sore at all."

Trying to be happy December 18, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I think I’ve had it for a while because for months I was experiencing terrible clit pain and my gyno tested my blood and the clit, nothing came back but I would always feel itchy and burning feeling at night. The beginning of last week I experienced my first outbreak. I took this whole bottle qty 14 and I’ve been Getting more sores. I have no itchy mostly painful and I’ve been so depressed haven’t gone to work and just have been staying in bed. I’ve been on antidepressants for a year now and I’m scared for my future. I have two people that are close to me that have it and it’s nice to have someone to talk to about it but I just this breakout to end."

FiftyYrOldGuy · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 20, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Got herpes from a girlfriend and the first outbreak was horrible, got diagnosed and was prescribed Valtrex. Took some time but it cleared up my first outbreak , since then when I start to feel discomfort(burning sensations, itchiness, sensitivity) I start taking two 500mG daily and within 3 days I am good again. Immediate relief first day. It is expensive so I don’t take daily and I will go months without needing to take. I notice eating lots of veggies help but anything peanut related can trigger a reaction . (peanuts have high levels of arginine)"

Dzwic88 · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

For Cold Sores "Valtrex was a wonder drug for me. I used to get 1 to 2 cold sores monthly, especially in the winter time. After taking one round of this medication I have NEVER had any cold sores return.....and that has been over 2 years now!! I am free from the multiple, painful blisters that used to make me miserable for weeks until they went away. Nothing ever worked for me before.....this medication has changed my life."

Anon · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 5, 2019

For Cold Sores "I’m 26. I was diagnosed with Herpes 2 years ago. This is my third time having an outbreak on my face, normally it’s just one cold sore that is gone within days thanks to Valtrex. This time, I’m broken out from my nose to my chin. Bumps everywhere! On my lips, above my lips. This is also the first time I’ve experienced the horrible pain associated with oral herpes. It’s dry and feels scabby. I’m three days in, and actually went to urgent care because my mouth was swollen this morning. The doctor told me to take my 500mg Valtrex 3x a day. I’m praying this clears soon because I’m at the point where I don’t want any human interactions, I’m so embarrassed and feel so ugly. Glad to see there’s others out there struggling just like me. Hang in there!"

Beth · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 27, 2019

For Cold Sores "Like so many of you, I have had a lifetime of cold sores. I want to share an experience with a doctor. I passed out during final exams because I had 18 fever blisters at once and I had gotten poisoned by it. The doctor told me that people like me carry herpes simplex type 2 virus in nerve ending of our spine and that when we are run down the immune system can't keep it under control and it comes out again. So that was a revelation. Anyway, valtrex has been a life saver. I tried everything as well - but nothing has ever come close to helping me until Valtrex. Thank you!!"

LovingLife88 · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I am an asymptomatic HSV 2 and HSV 1 carrier. I just started taking Valtrex regardless of never having outbreaks because I want to live a normal life and reduce the risk of passing it to anyone else. So far so good, I'm just hoping it doesn't trigger me to have outbreaks now that I have started suppressive therapy. No noticeable side affects after the first few days of use. Hoping for good results from Valtrex."

Bigfarmtolittlefarm · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I am in my late 50's and was just diagnosed with HSV2; my OBGYN prescribed me Valtrex; and my outbreak lasted about 2 months!!! I quit taking the Valtrex two weeks ago and started taking L-LYSINE after some research not available on google as they are owned by big pharma now... the Valtrex made me so depressed and short tempered with insomnia who the hell can live with that? And, the virus thives off the stress hormone, so why not give me some Valtrex to make me crazy and just flip out and add another 6 months of OB time to it!? Say no to Big Pharma cheats and liars like the makers of Valtrex, it's a shame doctors don't advise on diet and holistic 1st; before trying this terrible drug. DON'T TAKE do your homework!!! Reduced the amount of Arginine rich foods you are eating, eg chocolate, eggs and nuts. Don't trust your doctors they get pay back from big pharma"

sylgui · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 31, 2019

For Cold Sores "My dentist prescribed me Valtrex for cold sores I get on my gums (and occasionally on the lips, though that is much less frequent). At the first sign of outbreak, usually a small blister or a couple of them, I take 2000mg every 12 hours for one day. Valtrex keeps it from spreading; I never get any more blisters than on first onset. They also never crack or crust over. Within about 3 days they're completely gone. I swear by this medication for intra-oral cold sores. The only side effect I seem to get is a bad headache. Definitely worth it."

salad · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 28, 2019

For Cold Sores "I used this for 3 months, I have HSV 1 but it is not responding"

Stacey · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2019

For Varicella-Zoster "I started this medication the day after I noticed the rash. It was a small patch on my lower back (maybe 1 1/2 inches). I have luckily had little pain but a couple days the rash was itchy, sore and uncomfortable. After four and 1/2 days on the meds, all of my 10-15 blisters are gone. It doesn’t seem like they even opened... I don’t see any crust. They are thankfully just shrinking and drying up. So so thankful for this med!! (Took med with lots of water and food)."

SMM23 July 25, 2019

For Cold Sores "I am so happy I found this! Or rather, found a doctor that prescribed it. It’s a Miracle drug! I get probably 4-5 cold sores a year particularly when I’m extra stressed which is always the worst time for a cold sore. I never feel them coming the night before. I always wake up with several blisters that formed overnight. Anyway, I immediately take 2 grams of Valtrex (I always have it on hand! I get my prescription refilled immediately after I use it in prep for the next one). By mid afternoon, it’s stopped itching. I take 2 more grams before bed. The next morning it’s grown a little but not bad. 2 more grams that second morning. By the afternoon of the second day, the blisters are mostly gone and only slight scabs remain. I’m lucky that mine are in the corner of my mouth. You can’t even see it by the second afternoon. I then reduce to 1 gram morning and night for a week just to be sure it’s totally gone (I’ve had them come back!)"

SomeWhiteGuy · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2019

For Cold Sores "I’m a 37 year old healthy male and competitive athlete. I've gotten “cold sores” inside my mouth perhaps once or twice a year since my early 20s. Eight weeks ago I developed a single small sore. Before it went away I got another... them another... This has continued for 2 months and I haven’t had a day where I haven’t had at least one since May. I’m not sure what’s up to cause this other than workouts have been hard for a while leading up to a competition I have in August, but yesterday I woke up with 4 small lesions (one brand new from the night before) and decided to go see a doctor. I received 5 days worth (10 pills) of 1G Valtrex to be taken 2 times per day. So far I have taken 2 pills and 24 hours later all four sores are healing, I feel great, and I have no new ones. I’m pretty ecstatic right now. This stuff works very fast if you’re lucky."

olg · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 22, 2019

For Cold Sores "I have had cold sores since I was 3 or 4, but only in the past couple years have I seen an increase in the frequency (I used to get them 2 times a year, and now get them once or twice a month.) I was prescribed Valtrex two years ago to combat the cold sores. I take two pills at the earliest sign of a tingle. Sometimes, the tingle goes away and there is no cold sore. However, sometimes a cold sore still forms. There is initial swelling and fever blisters, but the blisters do not become enlarged and quickly scab over. At its most effective, Valtrex prevents cold sores from forming. At its least effective, Valtrex lessens the pain, improves the appearance, and shortens the cycle of my cold sores (from tingle to scab in 2 or 3 days)."

Lightblueroses · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2019

For Cold Sores "I actually am not sure if what I had was herpes but the side effects I experienced from just taking one dose of this drug were scary. I could barely wake up in the morning my head was hurting so much, I felt sick all day, like I was going to throw up, and I took three naps and STILL felt exhausted. I ran to the bathroom a few times thinking I was about to throw up, leaving my 4 month old alone while I did so. And I could not eat anything all day because of the nausea."

Doc Nashville July 15, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Valtrex did not work at all for me. Actually seemed to make it worse. Was having a continuous break out even taking drug several times a day. I switched to acyclovir and symptoms went away almost immediately and have not had an outbreak since. If Valtrex is not working I suggest switching. The drugs are not the same"

Lonnie · Taken for 10 years or more July 12, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I have taken Valtrex for 14 yrs. One pill daily."

Buster420 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 17, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host "HSV type 1. Amazing product. I woke up this morning to a small cold sore took two 1 gram Valtrex and also happen to have acyclovir ointment just in case. Just 6 hours later the fluid blister has already gone in beginning to heal. I can't stress enough how important it is to take product right away. I also felt a tingle a few days ago and also took Valtrex then but no cold sore developed until today so I took two more Valtrex and have to take two more at 6 p.m. . But amazes me barely even a cold sore and 6 hours dried up. Well worth it to have some of that zovirax acyclovir ointment on hand as well."

Mike · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2019

For Herpes Zoster "Would have preferred a 10 to 14 day treatment, rather than a 5 to 7 day. NERVE aggravation understandable irritation due to rash could be less severe if patient was able to continue medication for an additional number of days. IF VIRUS is going to linger for several weeks then the initial first two weeks might prove beneficial. In my case, I would have benefited from the extra period. DOCTORS do not think so, but of course they think enduring the pain and discomfort is medical treatment. I think it is a wasted office visit."

SillyNurse · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 19, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I was diagnosed in 1993, at age 19 with herpes. I’ve been on and off this drug for the last 5 years, and I do much better when I take it daily. At first I was just taking when I had a flare up, but the flare ups were still kind of frequent. Once I started on a daily 500 mg regimen, no more flare ups. So for 2 years, I was blister-free. I ran out of my script and had trouble getting it refilled about 3 weeks ago, so I decided to try just taking L-Lysine. Nope, had the worst flare in 20 years and even had trouble sleeping because of the itching, burning pain. I started back on it and immediately my blisters started healing. Yay, science! I’ll probably take this med for the rest of my life, which is just fine with me, and you can bet that I won’t let my prescription lapse again. I just wish that some brilliant researcher would find a cure for HSV."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "In 2006 after taking seven Valtrex pills 1000mg each, I didn’t have a outbreak until 2018. Now in 2018 I’ve taken 24 Valtrex pills and have continuous outbreaks. What changed? Did the Valtrex medicine change to ensure dependency? Devestated."

Better World · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 3, 2018

For Herpes Zoster "Be aware I am anti big pharma on numerous levels. I fought using any kind of pharmaceutical for decades. I have chronic shingles that keeps occurring on my left back hip. A pinched nerve triggers when sitting for very long. I hate to say it, but Valtrex saved me. Taking one 500 mg about once every 3 days, and have not been plagued with any shingles since taking it 6 mos ago. It also seemed to relieve about 50% of the pain associated with the outbreak area. Not sure what the connection is. I also have genital herpes that pops up every couple of months (before taking Valtrex). Nothing has appeared in over 6 mos. This drug has been a godsend (okay, I'll give the manufacturer a high five for this one, as much as I hate to say it)."

Na · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Started the 1000 mg twice daily for ten days. Within the first day in, felt dizzy, headache, body aches, stuffy nose, cough, etc. I took the day off work and called the doc."

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 7, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Since I started on a half a tablet a day dose of valtrex I've seen a 100% improvement in my outbreaks. I had had extremely painful out breaks many time through out last year, about 5-6. I was terribly reluctant to go on any kind of medication for my symptoms as I always try to treat my self naturally I tried ever herbal remedy including rubbing organic garlic on my blisters which stung like hell but did help a little. Valtrex completely kept them away and for the first time almost 12 months I regained the confidence to start dating again and even share my condition with my date. I was finally living my life again without the thought in the back of my mind. Until this week when my 3 months prescription ran out. Today I am due for an appointment to see if I can get more. But 5 days after finishing my last dose I already have one dreaded blister back reminding me of how I suffered."

Sugar · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 24, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I took 500 MG Valtrex daily for almost a year while I had insurance back in 2005. I've had herpes since 1980 and I'm almost 59 now...I experienced outbreaks almost monthly for most of my adult life, and often several of them. Right after I got my last tattoo I got FIVE at once. In any case, during the entire time I was taking Valtrex, I experienced ZERO lesions. I finally have insurance again and I asked my doctor for a prescription, which she gave me, but is only to shorten episodes. I really want the daily doses so I can maybe even think about having a relationship with someone. In my book Valtrex is a miracle drug."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)