User Reviews for Valtrex

Learn more about Valtrex.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host 3 reviews 3 medications

8.1
Cytomegalovirus Infection 1 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Valtrex reviews 190 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Valtrex

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I can remember getting my first outbreak around 14yrs old, I had suffered from chickenpox in my younger days. I didnt know what to do about these sores. I was so embarrassed going to school, would even cry. My parents never took me to the Dr. For this. This continued throughtout my adult life. In 2012 I went to the Bahamas for vacation. Laid out in the sun, enjoyed the ocean. Woke up to tingling...couple hrs later a gigantic blister. It was soooo ugly. Tried to supress it witb alcohol or seabreeze, thats all I had then. As I took flight, seemed like it got even bigger and the itching was unbearable. That was enough. The beginning of this year I finally seeked medical attention. When I say the generic Valtrex is great...! It is!"

LadyTrucker2000 (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I've had HSV-1 (Cold Sores) for the past 10 years with a flare-up, in what seems, every 3-4 years so daily prevention was never a big deal to me. At first I'd just hit it with some Abreva and toss a bandaid to cover the unsightliness and in a about 3 weeks, it would go away. My last flare-up, I went to the medic who got me some Acyclovir. Honestly, taking acyclovir did seem to shorten the duration but my sores still lasted 2 weeks. This recent flare-up my doc prescribed me 1 gram of Valtrex, & the blisters appear to be healing after day 3, not week 3. Awesome stuff."

itscoolyo (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

For Cold Sores "I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it for myself. So maybe you'll have to take my word on it. But this medicine is absolutely a lifesaver. This is my third cold sore. My first time was years ago I had no idea what it was or when I did it was to late and had to deal alone. The second time was a year ago I called my dr who prescribed a round of valtrex, because I caught it kinda early it still progressed but was nothing like the first time. So my third time is happening right now. But since my last outbreak I begged my dr for a daily script . Wednesday I woke with a small lump and I knew. I took 1000mg and watched it slightly raised and I could see the pustules under the bump.. I took another 1000 at night . It never progressed past that."

Hybrids September 9, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I found out I had genital hsv 1 about a month ago. I have never seen a sore or bump of any kind down there, but experienced a burning that I compared to being cut, literally. The doctor found a lesion by the vaginal opening, that looked like little paper cuts apparently. Anyhow the 500 mg Valtrex 1× daily started helping after 2 weeks. The weird nerve-like sensations I was experiencing were all gone after 3 weeks. The only negative side effect is fatigue after I take the dose."

Deet45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

For Cold Sores "I would never take the time to do this if this pill didn't truly change my life. I have gotten cold sores for years now, just about every month. I finally asked my dentist if he could prescribe something for me because my wedding is coming up and I DID NOT want to have one on my big day. I have used the medicine twice now.. The first time a blister never even formed I just had the hard bump on my lip and it was gone by the second day. I felt my lip getting hard again Sunday so I immediately took 2 pills and then 2 more 12 hours later. Monday morning I woke up and a small blister had formed(didn't hurt or look bad but I was still worried.) It is now Tuesday morning and my lip is completely healed! This pill works miracles!"

ihatecoldsore (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I am 21 I've had herpes since I was 15 and these pills have saved my life 100% I am now engaged and live a normal life. I don't take them everyday just when I feel an outbreak coming and it doesn't happen! I haven't had an outbreak in 2 years! Strongly recommend valtrex :)"

Happygirl95 July 15, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I gotta say it really works - I thought I had a bad heat rash but it wasn't clearing up I finally asked my mom to take me to hospital and when they told me what it was I said no way and how - I still wonder why it was me out of everyone I got it - makes you feel horrible inside - but it's not the end - I've got a boyfriend who supports me through all this - thankfully he doesn't have it and doctors said I might have gotten it from a past boyfriend - but they gave me a shot in the hip and 4000 mg of valtrex - I went home still think I did not have it and that it was just a basic rash - stopped putting ointments on it and stopped all treatments I did it started to clear up - lab result later said I was positive - I cried - valtrex does work !"

The girl who didn't get away (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I've been taking Valtrex for almost 18 years for suppression of cold sores. i would get them all the time before Valtrex, probably like 7 a year. I started with a daily dose of 500mg and would get one every now and again. I up it to 1 gram and haven't had an outbreak in more than 10 years! Now, I'm back down to 500mg and if i feel an olutbreak coming on I'll put a little zoviraz on it with some DMSO after and the sore goes away within 30 minutes. The combination works well. Hope this helps."

DD121212 June 30, 2016

For Cold Sores "The first time I tried this I had my first cold sore in months. It was so bad it caused my lymph node in my chin to swell. I took this and the cold sore healed so quickly. I woke up to a cold sore this past sunday took the pills on monday and it is now Tuesday and it is barely noticeable!"

Ashley710 June 15, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I take 500mg valtrex daily as a suppressant,and have done for past 4yrs.I still get the occasional small outbreak and apply wild oregano oil to the infected area.It stings but is absolutely amazing.Its anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal and it clears up the herpes outbreak in rapid time."

Mr H (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2016

For Cold Sores "First time I used valtrex, I thaught I was done or almost done with cold sores, it healed up so fast I was really glad something was finally helping me for real. Abreva and all the other stuff don't really work, I'd even say abreva makes it worst. But in the last 5 months I had 2 cold sores unfortunatley, both time I took valtrex as soon as I felt a little tickling. No matter what, both time I woke up with a full blister and bigger. So people saying it stops it right in its track are wrong. But it does help for the healing time. In 5 days its gone. Still better then the 7-9 days i used to go through before. Can't wait till they find a real ''cure'' or at least something that kills the virus for real as soon as you take it."

Mary-Lise (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2016

For Herpes Zoster "Discovered rash on a Thursday, prescribed Valtrex on a Friday. Woke up Saturday and rash was still spreading but stopped by that night and began to dry up by Tuesday- no blisters ever formed and itching/pain was very minimal! Side effects only the first day or so, but not positive it was from Valtrex- the sickness/headaches I felt could've easily been from my anxiety. By the third day, any side effects subsided completely and had no issues finishing the medication. After reading stories of shingles sufferers who did not take anti-virals, I am so happy my doctor prescribed this medication. Also, a suggestion, Burow's solution (sold as Domeboro in most pharmacies) helped soothe and dry up my rash quickly! Keep your head up! :)"

Willla (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I am 44. Had a 1st outbreak (genital) after having an UTI. It was a minor outbreak. Sm patch of raw skin and looked like one lesion. It never spread or got worse. I had never had any sort of outbreak ever oral or genital. So, I don't know if I already had it or my partner if 1.5yrs triggered an outbrk or whether it was dormant all this time and getting sick brought it out. I got blood & cult done for hsv 1 and 2 -3wks later but the patch was about 90% healed already w/ no meds but was still prescribed (the generic Valtrex) 1000mg 2x a day for 5 days. Ive been off the meds for 2 days now. I need to see if I get another outbreak B4 just taking meds daily. I had no side effects as I drank water like crazy as it said to do. I'm hoping for the best"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I took valtrex for about 3 years. I was having terrible side effects after about a year 1/2.. but I did not want an outbreak so I kept taking them. I felt like total crap almost everyday for months. one day and realized I was out of my script and had to call doc for my yearly refill. I stopped taking them! I am a completely different person off of the pills. I no longer feel depressed. I was having all the side effects. I had a dull ache in the right side of my body that radiated form my hip to my breast. A week after stopping the pills all my symptoms were gone and pain in my side gone. I think back to a few weeks ago and never want to wake up eveyday feeling the way I did.i will deal with outbreaks. No more valtrex."

Seriouslyfedup (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I've been using Valtrex for suppression and have not had an outbreak in 1.5 years using it. It's a life saver. Hoping to take it daily for the rest of my life. If anyone has been taking it daily for suppression please chime in, I wanted to know if it has effected anyone in a bad way. I did read one review where someone was using it daily as a suppression for 14 years and it worked and he didn't have an outbreak once but he ended getting allergic reaction and had to stop using it. What a bummer! But yes Valtrex is a life saver."

Johnganonyy April 25, 2016

For Cold Sores "After being sick with bronchitis and upper respiratory infection for about 2 weeks, I woke up one morning with cold sores overtaking my whole top lip. I've always taken Lysine and that helps cut back on the length of time for healing when I just have one cold sore. This time, the swelling and pain of having multiple cold sores was just too much to handle. I phoned my dr. and explained that my top lip was so swollen and that eating and drink had become painful. Dr. called in a prescription of 2 a day Valtrex. I took the first one yesterday around noon, by 6 pm the swelling and pain had already gone down. This morning I woke up and while the blisters are still there, it's like it reversed all the sores. No pain or swelling. Just healing!!"

Ibellah80 April 7, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Had my first outbreak about two weeks ago, it was excruciatingly painful. Couldn't urinate without being In the bath tub or running water over the sores....this outbreak had been going on for a whole two weeks almost so I went to my doctor and she prescribed me valtrex 500mg 2x a day. By the second day of taking the medication the burning while urinating went away. I am now on day 6 and the sores are almost all gone, I have maybe one left but there's little to no feeling in it. This was my first outbreak and I just turned 21, it flared up right after I got the flu and had a high fever. Apparently hsv can stay dormant in your body for some time until your immune system is shot...but I'm finally feeling normal again and the meds for sure work"

MaryMaria57 March 20, 2016

For Cold Sores "Until about age 56, had never had cold sore. Suddenly had spot on butt, went to clinic, PA thought it was spider bite, antibodies given, no relief. The next time it occurred (same spot), got in to see dermatologist immediately. He stated it was a form of chicken pox virus (not sexual related). Gave Valtrex, worked great. Pharmacist also recommending taking L-LySyine daily to help prevent occurrences. Used to have only 2 occurrences a year - February and August -my work stress months. Have not had any more occurrences."

Overstressed (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 16, 2016

For Cold Sores "I have suffered with getting cold sores since I was a kid never bothered me until a few years ago i began getting them as soon as one would heal another would form. So I talked to my DR. and he prescribed Valtrex. It was amazing as soon as you get the tingle of the cold sore take Valtrex and the cold sore raises a little but the blister never forms. I can not say enough about how it also has changed on the frequency as to how often i get them now. maybe every 6 months to a year between outbreaks."

Doublea70 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2016

For Cold Sores "You guys, this medication deserves some kind of award. I have this random patch of HSV 1 on my eyebrow. It flares up a couple times a year. Previously, I have been prescribed acyclovir for breakouts. I wasn't too convinced it really did anything at all, but maybe it reduced my breakout time by half a day. This time, I happened to have a doctor's appointment that fell on day 3 of a breakout, so I mentioned that I wanted some acyclovir to help. My doctor said that was an older medication, and Valtrex was newer and better, so he gave me that. WITHIN 24 HOURS THE BLISTERS ARE NO LONGER BLISTERS AT ALL AND I AM HEALING. They did not burst, they just totally regressed. I took 2 2g pills twice a day for one day. This is a miracle drug. 10/10"

Doc2be (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I am going to turn 70 yrs old in March , I have had HSV for 42 yrs. I take the 500mg dose as soon as I know its going to start up and if I neglect taking it for whatever reason it flares up , one of the things that I noticed that is sure to get it going is Sun bathing . I have become a vegan and live a very healthy life style which really helps the immune system."

rpww (taken for 10 years or more) February 22, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I was getting frequent outbreaks and was very miserable. I felt I would never be normal again. Started this treatment and it improved my daily and intimate life by a milestone. Maybe get a little thing or two in a year and very possibly not. If so its quickly resolved with these meds..I reccomend it. Give yourself and love a chance. I am still very worthy and so are you. There is a huge and scary stigma about it but you are still normal and so am I. Its a small complication we have to deal with until God provides a cure. In the meantime take care of yourself and your partner. Be careful and safe. But don't underestimate your worth like I did. Try this treatment."

contentandaccepted February 19, 2016

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Cold Sores "I've had cold sores since I was 8. I would get them every 2 months and they would last about 2 weeks before they were completely gone. My dentist prescribed me valtrex. If I take it at the first hour of feeling a cold sore coming on it works great. I don't get the little blisters that form on the lip, just feels a little swollen. It goes away after 3 days. Unfortunately it doesn't work once the blisters have formed. So if you get a cold sore in the morning and only get home at 8pm to take the valtrex it won't work the same way. So I always have it in my purse just in case. Life saver."

Stavia (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 17, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "This is my first outbreak. I've been on it for 2 days now and I have no relief. The blisters down in my vagina are awful. I scared go drink anything, because I'm scared to go to the bathroom.. I hope I get some relief soon. When outbreak is gone I hope to do supressive treatment."

mariezy February 5, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "So woke up sunday morning with a little blister. Instantly took 4x500mg Valtrex. Unlike the rest of the users on the previous reviews, mine did get bigger and did multiply. It is now Tuesday. It didn't get as big as it would get without the valtrex but still up there and not scabbing yet. So its either I'm not lucky like the rest of the users or they are making it up."

JimmyJames1877 February 2, 2016