User Reviews for Valtrex

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Valtrex.

Herpes Simplex, Muco...compromised Host

Herpes Zoster
8.1

Summary of Valtrex reviews 9.2 216 reviews

Reviews for Valtrex

For Cold Sores "Thank you for this medicine! It works unbelievably well. I get mega cold sores they can take over my entire bottom lip. Not only are they embarrassing but also incredibly painful. This medicine works miracles. As soon as I feel that awful itch that indicates the cold sore coming through I take one of these pills and a second 12 hours later. They will either completely prevent the cold sore from coming through or at the very least minimize the appearance and speed up recovery time. Not only that, I used to get a cold sore at least every three months. Now I’m down to about every six months or so. This medicine has changed my life."

Over cold sores November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompromised Host "I caught genital herpes from my Ex wife in 2015, she never told me about the virus. I had it for 2 years with so many outbreaks, and it affected my life.. People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation but herpes has a long term effects on health. The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. Most people have herpes in one form or another, I was first taking Antiviral medicines, such as acyclovir(Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex), are recommended for treating primary genital herpes outbreaks. This medicine can be taken when an outbreak occurs. It can also be taken every day to help prevent outbreaks, it is not a total cure but sure helps"

alexandersam (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I was supposed to take this for supressive therapy, but I stopped after my outbreak because I couldn't stand the side effects. This pill made me dizzy and I could hardly function at work. I don't know if this or the HSV 1 is worse."

CJ1234 August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores "Generic does not work as well as trade brand, Valtrex - not even close"

coldsoresyears (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Hey all! I'm 62 and have lived with it since June of 1978...almost 40 years! Just started Valtrex this summer because outbreaks were literally constant with 3 to 5 lesions at once! The itching...omg! Had to numb with a ice cube in a plastic bag and it worked, too! For some reason, this disease has became worse in the last few years which my ob-gyn cannot understand. Back in the early 80s, Time mag wrote a long article on it as it was newer and b4 the Aids epidemic hit. In it was a line that said, "this thing has a mind of it's own," and "u won't kill it but it won't kill u either!" So true!! Google the article as I found it online a few months ago. And...take care."

Black cats July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores "I'm 19 years old and I've been getting cold sores ever since I was young...the last few years I would get them a couple times a month sometimes a new one every week. I've been taking valtrex for a few months now and I've gotten only 3 times (which is a major improvement) because I was sick and my immune system was down. But they went away after a day or so. I'm so so happy"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I can't afford this medication. No insurance and it is ridiculously expensive even though I would love to try it as suppressive therapy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I only take this medication when I feel an outbreak coming. It's a burning sensation in my Vagina. I take two 500mg daily for about a week and a half. I wind down to 1 pill by day 5. I'm in the clear by day 8. The outbreak never comes to blisters. Its like a home run. I only catch an outbreaks once or twice a year. I actually forget I have it until I get the sad reminder. It is usually stimulated by my stress. Hope this was helpful."

Keep the Faith April 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores "Valtrex is amazing! I have suffered my whole life from cold sores, usually covering with makeup, alcohol, abreva (obviously nothing worked) then my doctor suggested valtrex which is phenomenal!!!! My outbreaks only last maybe 3 days compared to 8-12!"

Daniellem88 April 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "This drug has been 100% effective, I first start taking 500mg and had just had mild out breaks, decided to up the dose to 1mg a day and had no outbreaks since then. Highly recommend taking it for those who experience more than 12 outbreaks a year."

Joana M April 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores "Had cold sores all my life... got my first breakout at age 15 and it was terrifying I had no idea what they were. Used everything and tried everything and nothing worked! It was hell. In January I went to the dermatologist and he saw that I had cold sores so he prescribed me valtrex. It's life changing, and what I love most is I actually see a change within the first day or second day. It stops the swelling and stops the cold sores from growing... it's amazing. Call your doctor and ask him for some valtrex!"

Lizzy M. March 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For CMV Prophylaxis "I am immune-compromised from ME/CFS for 17 years. This drug at a dose of 1500 mg/day restored my cognitive clarity to 100%. At only 1000 mg/day my cognitive clarity fell off substantially...a 20 point IQ drop, perhaps. When my MD took away my Valtrex one time because she thought my kidneys were at risk after I had white cells in a urine test, I became pseudo-demented and had to use a three-wheeled walker without Valtrex! I also have vestibular migraine that is treated with 350 mg/day of topamax and it gets worse without the Valtrex. As soon as I went back on the Valtrex, I perked up immediately and didn't need the walker."

Seizethecarp (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I was diagnosed w hsv1 + 2 around my buttocks about a year and a half ago. Ever since my initial outbreak I've been taking 500mg of Valtrex daily. I've never experience any side effects -- I also take birth control and drink regularly. I've never experienced a full outbreak since the initial one. Sometimes when I go out of town I'm not great about taking meds and I'll feel symptoms coming on after a few days of missing it, so I'll take 1g for a couple days and then that makes it go away. I don't *think* I have a severe case -- the initial outbreak was extremely uncomfortable, but immediately after taking meds the pain went away followed by the blisters healing. Quick recovery w valtrex -- I doubt I'll ever go off!"

KeepingOn (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I have been taking Valtrex as a suppression for 2 years right after my initial Hsv2 outbreak, which was THE WORST pain of my life, urinary retention, had to wear a catheter. I refuse to come off this drug because it scared the living heck out of me. I never want to go through that EVER again. Valtrex is my savior drug. My gyno put me on it right after the initial. Cleared me up fast and I have zero side effects (I literally don't even know I've taken the drug) I asked if I can stay on it, as I am more terrified of getting anything like my initial outbreak. Since I have been on Valtrex I have not had any outbreaks but 1 little sore per year will pop up.I even skip days sometimes, but if I do I have this constant itch. Keeps Hsv2 away."

jc22 February 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Hey everyone So I contracted HSV2 about two and a half years ago. Devastating but my life is not over. I began taking Acyclovir when I had outbreaks, but the occurred about every two months in the beginning, which is not ideal. I started taking Valacyclovir 500 mg daily. It worked (mostly) but I would get one or two outbreaks every couple months. I finally switched to 1g a day. I have not had an outbreak since and I feel absolutely AMAZING. I have been on Valacyclovir for I would say about a year and 4 months. My boyfriend is so supportive and does not have it. I only take it now so that I don't transmit to him. I have a question though: How long can people take it DAILY? Not just for outbreaks? I have been trying to do some research.THANK"

stilllovemyself (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores "Had a colds for about week tried using abreva didn't help it went to the emergency they prescribed me valtrex right after the first dose you see a major progress the way it looks I may be healed completely in 3days this stuff does work don't waste money on abreva just call your doctor for some valtrex!!!!!"

Female 26 (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "Hello, all. I was diagnosed with Herpes Simplex 1 early 2016. Began taking Valacyclovir everyday once diagnosed. It has completely saved my life and my confidence. It's an easy pill to take and haven't had any outbreaks or symptoms since the initial outbreak. If you're suffering... this is the medication to take! Best wishes to all!"

Stoney G January 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores "First time using valtrex(generic) after mixed results with every single treatment out there. First sign was a very small red bump at 9pm, missed the tingle stage. Took 2 1g tablets and started using ice to not let it grow. Fell asleep around 11pm and applied some tea tree oil. Woke up to almost nothing. Small red mark that was not raised or tender. Unnoticeable. Forgotten by next day. Worth every penny"

First timerq December 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores "I've gotten cold sores for years. I've had some disfiguring experiences with larger ones that scab over on or around my lips. They started in my 30's and over thirty years, have always been with me. Sometimes I go for 7-8 months without being affected but they never cease completely. There are times when I get one, it runs its course for about 10 days, then in a week or two, get another that can be more severe. Generally, it works well. Although it is still effective at controlling an outbreak and reducing healing time, it is far from a cure and outbreaks can still result in blisters even when taken A.S.A.P. after first signs. TIMING IS IMPORTANT. Take at first tingle is a good rule but if outbreak occurs during sleep, not much can be done."

ABfan December 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores "Does anyone else take Valtrex everyday for prevention? I am not so sure about Valtrex working for me. When I first started taking Valtrex, over two years ago, my dentist told me to take 4 pills at the first tingle sign and then again 4 pills a certain amount of time later. I always followed the directions. It never really seemed to make a difference, a cluster of blisters always showed up. It might have shortened the healing time. After three months in a row of sores, I called my family doctor in tears. So for over a year and half now, I have been taking a Valtrex everyday as prevention. I think I had an outbreak in the early part of the year and one in November and now one in December. It just STINKS!!"

Kandcats December 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I had my first outbreak at 19 and maybe 1-2 minor outbreaks. At 38, my outbreaks became noticeable and frequent- as soon as the itching subsided, it would appear again 3 days later. Then my anus started to itch. After a visit to my gynecologist, I walked away with a prescription for 500 mg of valacyclovir to be taken daily. One week later I had an outbreak similar to my first, except now my buttocks and thighs were included. I had a 1 inch lesion on my inner buttocks and my vagina was swollen and weeping (the itching was unlike anything I've ever experienced). I stopped the valacyclovir after about 20 days. The symptoms abated 3 days later."

CinciTucky November 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores "Hi! I've had fever blisters/cold sores/herpes of the mouth, etc since I was about 2 years old.So I know the horrible way it affects your self esteem. Not sure who kissed me as a baby , but may they forever burn! Ps...don't kiss your babies or let anyone else do it. I've learned a lot about the virus and could tell you many facts, such as its really just a virus. You get it , your immune system fights it , and it dies... but not with out leaving some of its DNA in your body. If you get cold sores, the DNA lingers in a big nerve ganglia in your neck. And no you can't have it removed ,I asked! Valtrex is a life saver. Tell your doctor right away you need a script for 30 w 5 rfls. Be firm. Don't be swayed. Always have 2 on you.Take ASAP."

Person2Person (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores "I recently started taking valtrex again for prevention/treatment of genital herpes flare ups and every time I take one I get a cold sore on my mouth. Didn't take valtrex for a few years and never had a cold sore, I had other outbreaks but no cold sores. I got back on valtrex to control the other outbreaks about three months ago and cold sores have been a constant threat."

Fun guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "I typically don't write reviews. But almost a year of taking and not any outbreaks. Great med. And gave me my life back. I am healed in Jesus' name. Hsv- 2 survivor."

Thankful4grace42 November 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression "have been on Valtrex for about a year on suppressive therapy. works like a charm. no outbreaks. noo side effects. i feel so much better about this."

525i (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2016