User Reviews for Valtrex

Valtrex has an average rating of 8.8 out of 10 from a total of 269 ratings on Drugs.com. 86% of those users who reviewed Valtrex reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Cold Sores
9.5
Summary of Valtrex reviews 8.8 269 reviews

Reviews for Valtrex

jujy · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2021

For Cold Sores: “This medicine is truly life-changing for cold sore sufferers. I have the doctor prescribe it to keep on hand to take as soon as the tingle starts. It works like a miracle.”

Whyme21 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2021

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I was diagnosed with HSV 2 in February with an outbreak, one single blister (I guess I got lucky with that). I took Valtrex for 10 days and the blister went away. I started 500 mg suppression therapy immediately following my last regular dose. A month and half later (fast forward to end of March) I got another breakout. I am also using Lysine. My question is, has anyone who has been using this drug lost their sense of taste, either partially or fully. I've noticed my sense of taste has been altered. I recently got tested for COVID and it was negative. I’m trying to figure out if my partial loss of taste is from using the Valtrex. Would love to hear from you if this has happened to you.”

Lady · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2021

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Herpes is not a one size fits all issue so find your pattern and stick to it! I take Valtrex but I also implemented taking lysine because Valtrex alone was not getting the job done. I take 1 Valtrex every other day for suppressing and 2 lysine every other day....found that this patterns kept outbreaks away.”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2020

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Hey guys, so in July 2019 I had my first outbreak & it was literal the biggest nightmare, I had lesions inside my urethra so peeing was the worst. I had went to the doctors and I was misdiagnosed! They told me it was a yeast infection and gave me medicine for that. Fast forward to October 2020, I had my second outbreak, not as intense as the first but still bad, went to my regular doctor this time and boom, tested positive for type 1 herpes. I had just gotten out of an abusive relationship with my boyfriend and I automatically knew I'd gotten the virus from him. I was broken, depressed and thought my life was over. But valtrex is really a life saver, after 3 days my symptoms started to disappear. Reading you guys’ messages brings me to tears. It lets me know that I'm not alone and my life isn't over. This virus doesn’t define us!! We are just as worthy, just as beautiful as we were before all this. Sending you guys all my love and support.”

SillyNurse · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 19, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I was diagnosed in 1993, at age 19 with herpes. I’ve been on and off this drug for the last 5 years, and I do much better when I take it daily. At first I was just taking when I had a flare up, but the flare ups were still kind of frequent. Once I started on a daily 500 mg regimen, no more flare ups. So for 2 years, I was blister-free. I ran out of my script and had trouble getting it refilled about 3 weeks ago, so I decided to try just taking L-Lysine. Nope, had the worst flare in 20 years and even had trouble sleeping because of the itching, burning pain. I started back on it and immediately my blisters started healing. Yay, science! I’ll probably take this med for the rest of my life, which is just fine with me, and you can bet that I won’t let my prescription lapse again. I just wish that some brilliant researcher would find a cure for HSV.”

NurseLivesMatter · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 3, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I’ve been using Valtrex for the past 5 years, both episodically and for suppression. I’ve done a year of suppression twice now and have had excellent results both times. Used episodically, I’m always better within three days. It’s been a life saver for me. Just remember, you may have herpes, but it doesn’t have to have you. This isn’t a disease of dirty people or people with questionable morals. It doesn’t discriminate. People shouldn’t, either.”

Nobigdeal1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “So you find out you have herpes, now what? I've read so many stories on blogs and different websites about how people disclose the topic to potential partners and their fears. Here's the deal guys, if you use Valtrex and a condom, the chance of you giving the infection to the other person is less than 2% (assuming you aren't having an active outbreak). If a girl/guy has an issue with the fact and can't see you anymore because of it than good! It's better you find out they weren't that into you this way than 6 months and countless dates later. A cure is right around the corner if you follow the updates in the medical community so hang tough and forget the stigma!”

contentandaccepted February 19, 2016

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I was getting frequent outbreaks and was very miserable. I felt I would never be normal again. Started this treatment and it improved my daily and intimate life by a milestone. Maybe get a little thing or two in a year and very possibly not. If so its quickly resolved with these meds..I reccomend it. Give yourself and love a chance. I am still very worthy and so are you. There is a huge and scary stigma about it but you are still normal and so am I. Its a small complication we have to deal with until God provides a cure. In the meantime take care of yourself and your partner. Be careful and safe. But don't underestimate your worth like I did. Try this treatment.”

Bigfarmtolittlefarm · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I am in my late 50's and was just diagnosed with HSV2; my OBGYN prescribed me Valtrex; and my outbreak lasted about 2 months!!! I quit taking the Valtrex two weeks ago and started taking L-LYSINE after some research not available on google as they are owned by big pharma now... the Valtrex made me so depressed and short tempered with insomnia who the hell can live with that? And, the virus thives off the stress hormone, so why not give me some Valtrex to make me crazy and just flip out and add another 6 months of OB time to it!? Say no to Big Pharma cheats and liars like the makers of Valtrex, it's a shame doctors don't advise on diet and holistic 1st; before trying this terrible drug. DON'T TAKE do your homework!!! Reduced the amount of Arginine rich foods you are eating, eg chocolate, eggs and nuts. Don't trust your doctors they get pay back from big pharma”

Finally123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “The day you are diagnosed with HSV2 is an incredibly traumatic experience. Everyone's first thought is, "who would want to be with me now?" The social stigma of the virus has always been greater than the reality of it. I, like many of you, struggled with the idea of living with it until I was given Valtrex. It looks like a horse pill, but it suppresses the virus so much that I forget I even have it. I hope there will be a cure in the next 5 years, but until then, Valtrex will be more than sufficient. Hang in there, everyone, it's more common than you think!”

Positive in WI · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2020

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I have been on Valtrex for 5 months but still have symptoms. I really wish more was done to find a cure for this. My doctor said they don't even test for it with routine STD testing. I feel like the doctors are failing us when it comes to this. It's a shame.”

stilllovemyself · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 8, 2017

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Hey everyone So I contracted HSV2 about two and a half years ago. Devastating but my life is not over. I began taking Acyclovir when I had outbreaks, but the occurred about every two months in the beginning, which is not ideal. I started taking Valacyclovir 500 mg daily. It worked (mostly) but I would get one or two outbreaks every couple months. I finally switched to 1g a day. I have not had an outbreak since and I feel absolutely AMAZING. I have been on Valacyclovir for I would say about a year and 4 months. My boyfriend is so supportive and does not have it. I only take it now so that I don't transmit to him. I have a question though: How long can people take it DAILY? Not just for outbreaks? I have been trying to do some research.THANK”

FiftyYrOldGuy · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 20, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Got herpes from a girlfriend and the first outbreak was horrible, got diagnosed and was prescribed Valtrex. Took some time but it cleared up my first outbreak , since then when I start to feel discomfort(burning sensations, itchiness, sensitivity) I start taking two 500mG daily and within 3 days I am good again. Immediate relief first day. It is expensive so I don’t take daily and I will go months without needing to take. I notice eating lots of veggies help but anything peanut related can trigger a reaction . (peanuts have high levels of arginine)”

Keep the Faith April 20, 2017

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I only take this medication when I feel an outbreak coming. It's a burning sensation in my Vagina. I take two 500mg daily for about a week and a half. I wind down to 1 pill by day 5. I'm in the clear by day 8. The outbreak never comes to blisters. Its like a home run. I only catch an outbreaks once or twice a year. I actually forget I have it until I get the sad reminder. It is usually stimulated by my stress. Hope this was helpful.”

Doc Nashville July 15, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Valtrex did not work at all for me. Actually seemed to make it worse. Was having a continuous break out even taking drug several times a day. I switched to acyclovir and symptoms went away almost immediately and have not had an outbreak since. If Valtrex is not working I suggest switching. The drugs are not the same”

wortheverypenny January 5, 2014

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Valtrex has been a lifesaver for me. I've had this virus for 12 years now and would suffer through monthly outbreaks that lasted almost until the next outbreak would occur. I started by taking 2 500 mg pills/day or 3 pills if I had an outbreak. Now I take 1 500 mg pill once every second day and have had only one very minor outbreak in the last 2 years. If I feel an outbreak coming on I up my dosage to 3 pills a day and the outbreak is stopped/prevented. Valtrex is worth the cost, it makes living with this condition manageable. In addition to Valtrex, I avoid what I've found to be triggers for me...my only regret is not starting on this medication sooner.”

LovingLife88 · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I am an asymptomatic HSV 2 and HSV 1 carrier. I just started taking Valtrex regardless of never having outbreaks because I want to live a normal life and reduce the risk of passing it to anyone else. So far so good, I'm just hoping it doesn't trigger me to have outbreaks now that I have started suppressive therapy. No noticeable side affects after the first few days of use. Hoping for good results from Valtrex.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “In 2006 after taking seven Valtrex pills 1000mg each, I didn’t have a outbreak until 2018. Now in 2018 I’ve taken 24 Valtrex pills and have continuous outbreaks. What changed? Did the Valtrex medicine change to ensure dependency? Devestated.”

Staying Anonymous July 17, 2013

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I contracted HSV-2 about 3 years ago. That first year was horrible. I had about one outbreak a month and each outbreak brought about not only physical, but emotional turmoil. After a year of feeling depressed, worthless and guilty, I finally had enough and took myself to get tested. Sure enough, I was right. I asked the doctor for a suppressive Valtrex prescription. I take valacyclovir and it has completely given me my life and sanity back. I've been on the medicines for two years now and I have had one tiny outbreak that came about during a HUGELY stressful time and I had not taken the Valtrex for few days. The OB lasted 2, maybe 3 days, and never blistered or crusted. I can't say enough good things about Valtrex/Valacyclovir.”

Hellogoodmirning August 27, 2013

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I was diagnosed a year ago and it was the worst feeling I have ever experienced. I started taking Valtrex and the next day I felt the difference. I have been taking it daily since then and have not had an outbreak! If I miss a day I get scared and think it is coming but it hasn't yet. I am happy to say this medicine has not only given me a second chance but a new outlook on life.”

Sue September 19, 2020

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I got herpes 2 from a guy who said he was STD free and even showed me his results. But of course no herpes results as they don't test for it routinely, it's only accurate when you have an outbreak. I got my tests and all clear. But this guy had herpes and he did not tell me. Cruel and unusual and malicious thing to do. He knowingly gave me herpes. He knew he had it. He told me afterwards. I have been in constant pain for months. Valtrex seems to work. I may have to take it permanently as I just can't stand the agony any more. So much pain.”

ABCDEFGHIJKLMON · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 2, 2015

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Contracted genital HSV a few years ago, and put up with the outbreaks for a while (mostly in denial of everything) hoping they would just go away. After multiple tests coming back negative (even tests from an uncrusted sore), I finally saw the right Dr., and finally showed positive. Dr. put me on Valtrex and I never looked back. No outbreaks since, and no noticeable side effects. Anyone with HSV knows of the stigma and fear of having to live with this. Valtrex is a lifesaver!!!”

Anonymous March 28, 2012

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I was diagnosed 13 yrs ago my doctor at the time told me to take Valtrex for a year. I did and have not had an outbreak in 13 yrs. Neither did my ex from 10 year relationship get the disease. I believe if one eats healthy, tries to stay stress free you may not need to take it daily for your entire life. But that is my experience. It is a truly wonderful medicine!”

D · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 13, 2020

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “Generic Valtrex - valacyclovir from Camber does not work for me. I took it for months with nothing changing. I had outbreaks even while on the suggested daily recommendation and when I began breaking out, I’d take heavy doses hoping it would help. It didn’t. As other reviewers have said - it basically appears to be placebo pill. Unless you have insurance and can get the real valtrex - do not support Camber manufacturing. They’ve taken so much money from me and it never worked or gave me relief. I’ve switched over to acyclovir and believe I am noticing relief.”

Trying to be happy December 18, 2019

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I think I’ve had it for a while because for months I was experiencing terrible clit pain and my gyno tested my blood and the clit, nothing came back but I would always feel itchy and burning feeling at night. The beginning of last week I experienced my first outbreak. I took this whole bottle qty 14 and I’ve been Getting more sores. I have no itchy mostly painful and I’ve been so depressed haven’t gone to work and just have been staying in bed. I’ve been on antidepressants for a year now and I’m scared for my future. I have two people that are close to me that have it and it’s nice to have someone to talk to about it but I just this breakout to end.”

Anonymous April 6, 2008

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I take Valtrex for suppressive therapy. My daily life is so much more manageable emotionally and physically since taking Valtrex as a suppressive treatment. For those who suffer with this virus, you will understand how our lows are very low when experiencing regular outbreaks. Valtrex allows my condition to be a minor inconvenience and no longer a dark lonely place. I now experience an outbreak twice yearly.”

Sugar · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 24, 2018

For Herpes Simplex, Suppression: “I took 500 MG Valtrex daily for almost a year while I had insurance back in 2005. I've had herpes since 1980 and I'm almost 59 now...I experienced outbreaks almost monthly for most of my adult life, and often several of them. Right after I got my last tattoo I got FIVE at once. In any case, during the entire time I was taking Valtrex, I experienced ZERO lesions. I finally have insurance again and I asked my doctor for a prescription, which she gave me, but is only to shorten episodes. I really want the daily doses so I can maybe even think about having a relationship with someone. In my book Valtrex is a miracle drug.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 5, 2019

For Cold Sores: “I’m 26. I was diagnosed with Herpes 2 years ago. This is my third time having an outbreak on my face, normally it’s just one cold sore that is gone within days thanks to Valtrex. This time, I’m broken out from my nose to my chin. Bumps everywhere! On my lips, above my lips. This is also the first time I’ve experienced the horrible pain associated with oral herpes. It’s dry and feels scabby. I’m three days in, and actually went to urgent care because my mouth was swollen this morning. The doctor told me to take my 500mg Valtrex 3x a day. I’m praying this clears soon because I’m at the point where I don’t want any human interactions, I’m so embarrassed and feel so ugly. Glad to see there’s others out there struggling just like me. Hang in there!”