User Reviews for Valtrex to treat Herpes Zoster

Valtrex has an average rating of 8.6 out of 10 from a total of 7 ratings for the treatment of Herpes Zoster. 86% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Valtrex Rating Summary

8.6/10 average rating

Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Zoster.

Better World · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 3, 2018

“Be aware I am anti big pharma on numerous levels. I fought using any kind of pharmaceutical for decades. I have chronic shingles that keeps occurring on my left back hip. A pinched nerve triggers when sitting for very long. I hate to say it, but Valtrex saved me. Taking one 500 mg about once every 3 days, and have not been plagued with any shingles since taking it 6 mos ago. It also seemed to relieve about 50% of the pain associated with the outbreak area. Not sure what the connection is. I also have genital herpes that pops up every couple of months (before taking Valtrex). Nothing has appeared in over 6 mos. This drug has been a godsend (okay, I'll give the manufacturer a high five for this one, as much as I hate to say it).”

blkstn August 8, 2008

“I was able to take Valtrex within 14 hours of the onset of the rash and I feel that it helped suppress what could have been a disaster. It has been three days on Valtrex and I am beginning to feel myself. The rash suppressed it's growth and is beginning the second and third cycle of healing.”

Willla · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2016

“Discovered rash on a Thursday, prescribed Valtrex on a Friday. Woke up Saturday and rash was still spreading but stopped by that night and began to dry up by Tuesday- no blisters ever formed and itching/pain was very minimal! Side effects only the first day or so, but not positive it was from Valtrex- the sickness/headaches I felt could've easily been from my anxiety. By the third day, any side effects subsided completely and had no issues finishing the medication. After reading stories of shingles sufferers who did not take anti-virals, I am so happy my doctor prescribed this medication. Also, a suggestion, Burow's solution (sold as Domeboro in most pharmacies) helped soothe and dry up my rash quickly! Keep your head up! :)”

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr March 20, 2015

“I started taking Valtrex 2 days after the rash appeared, it slowed down the spread of the rash and reduced the pain. 3 days later I was feeling better but the rash took about 10 days to disappear andIi continued feeling mild pain for another week or so.”

Anonymous January 10, 2010

“Having been diagnosed with Shingles, I followed the doctors advise.....SILLY ME. I am a physically fit woman and work in the Fitness industry. No ailments in my life whatsoever. Extreme stomach cramping and the vomiting.”

Mike · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2019

“Would have preferred a 10 to 14 day treatment, rather than a 5 to 7 day. NERVE aggravation understandable irritation due to rash could be less severe if patient was able to continue medication for an additional number of days. IF VIRUS is going to linger for several weeks then the initial first two weeks might prove beneficial. In my case, I would have benefited from the extra period. DOCTORS do not think so, but of course they think enduring the pain and discomfort is medical treatment. I think it is a wasted office visit.”

Anonymous March 5, 2008

“Valtrex has been a life saver in relation to recurring shingles. It reduces the pain and inflammation and duration of the outbreak.”