User Reviews for Valtrex

Valtrex Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex, Suppression.

Reviews for Valtrex to treat Herpes Simplex, Suppression

"I just found out that I have genital herpes. I was depressed, my ex boyfriend accused me of getting it first where in fact I only had sex with him without contraceptive so for sure he got it first and gave it to me. So my obgyn prescribed me Valtrex Its definitely a life saver for me since the initial outbreak . Expensive but it works"

Helloworld (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2018

"I was diagnosed with HSV 2 in 2001 after having sex for the first time. I was in so much pain and suffered from urinary retention and had to wear a catheter for about 2 months. I was so embarrassed and depressed. My partner accused me of giving him the virus; however, I was a virgin. I take Valtrex prn and luckily I only have one to two outbreaks a year that last about 3 days and include one to two small blisters. No more urinary retention. I just wish I would have questioned my partner sooner related to a history of STDs."

Kim (taken for 10 years or more) April 16, 2018

"I was diagnosed with hsv1 genitally and on the face. Just started on valtarex within a short time blisters started eating up. Mine you iIdo get a horrible stinging pain down below thought it was a UTI lab results proved otherwise. I'm struggling with dealing with the news as hsv1 down below is unusal to have. Anyone know of any great support groups. I'm in Perth haven't been able to find any locally"

Missy (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2018

"I’ve been using Valtrex for the past 5 years, both episodically and for suppression. I’ve done a year of suppression twice now and have had excellent results both times. Used episodically, I’m always better within three days. It’s been a life saver for me. Just remember, you may have herpes, but it doesn’t have to have you. This isn’t a disease of dirty people or people with questionable morals. It doesn’t discriminate. People shouldn’t, either."

NurseLivesMatter (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2018

"I had never had an outbreak until I reached 71. I wish I had some exciting news about how I got Herpes Simplex. But alas, no. I made up for lost time and had 7 outbreaks in 5 months. Oooh the pain and ugliness. On 8-16-17 I received a shot of Valtrex. It was a miracle. I want to pass on the best treatment is to slather vaseline over all affected areas. It keeps it from spreading and helps the discomfort. Thx"

Big Red Bunny February 16, 2018

"I was supposed to take this for supressive therapy, but I stopped after my outbreak because I couldn't stand the side effects. This pill made me dizzy and I could hardly function at work. I don't know if this or the HSV 1 is worse."

CJ1234 August 30, 2017

"Hey all! I'm 62 and have lived with it since June of 1978...almost 40 years! Just started Valtrex this summer because outbreaks were literally constant with 3 to 5 lesions at once! The itching...omg! Had to numb with a ice cube in a plastic bag and it worked, too! For some reason, this disease has became worse in the last few years which my ob-gyn cannot understand. Back in the early 80s, Time mag wrote a long article on it as it was newer and b4 the Aids epidemic hit. In it was a line that said, "this thing has a mind of it's own," and "u won't kill it but it won't kill u either!" So true!! Google the article as I found it online a few months ago. And...take care."

Black cats July 31, 2017

"I can't afford this medication. No insurance and it is ridiculously expensive even though I would love to try it as suppressive therapy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

"I only take this medication when I feel an outbreak coming. It's a burning sensation in my Vagina. I take two 500mg daily for about a week and a half. I wind down to 1 pill by day 5. I'm in the clear by day 8. The outbreak never comes to blisters. Its like a home run. I only catch an outbreaks once or twice a year. I actually forget I have it until I get the sad reminder. It is usually stimulated by my stress. Hope this was helpful."

Keep the Faith April 20, 2017

"This drug has been 100% effective, I first start taking 500mg and had just had mild out breaks, decided to up the dose to 1mg a day and had no outbreaks since then. Highly recommend taking it for those who experience more than 12 outbreaks a year."

Joana M April 12, 2017

"I was diagnosed w hsv1 + 2 around my buttocks about a year and a half ago. Ever since my initial outbreak I've been taking 500mg of Valtrex daily. I've never experience any side effects -- I also take birth control and drink regularly. I've never experienced a full outbreak since the initial one. Sometimes when I go out of town I'm not great about taking meds and I'll feel symptoms coming on after a few days of missing it, so I'll take 1g for a couple days and then that makes it go away. I don't *think* I have a severe case -- the initial outbreak was extremely uncomfortable, but immediately after taking meds the pain went away followed by the blisters healing. Quick recovery w valtrex -- I doubt I'll ever go off!"

KeepingOn (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2017

"I have been taking Valtrex as a suppression for 2 years right after my initial Hsv2 outbreak, which was THE WORST pain of my life, urinary retention, had to wear a catheter. I refuse to come off this drug because it scared the living heck out of me. I never want to go through that EVER again. Valtrex is my savior drug. My gyno put me on it right after the initial. Cleared me up fast and I have zero side effects (I literally don't even know I've taken the drug) I asked if I can stay on it, as I am more terrified of getting anything like my initial outbreak. Since I have been on Valtrex I have not had any outbreaks but 1 little sore per year will pop up.I even skip days sometimes, but if I do I have this constant itch. Keeps Hsv2 away."

jc22 February 10, 2017

"Hey everyone So I contracted HSV2 about two and a half years ago. Devastating but my life is not over. I began taking Acyclovir when I had outbreaks, but the occurred about every two months in the beginning, which is not ideal. I started taking Valacyclovir 500 mg daily. It worked (mostly) but I would get one or two outbreaks every couple months. I finally switched to 1g a day. I have not had an outbreak since and I feel absolutely AMAZING. I have been on Valacyclovir for I would say about a year and 4 months. My boyfriend is so supportive and does not have it. I only take it now so that I don't transmit to him. I have a question though: How long can people take it DAILY? Not just for outbreaks? I have been trying to do some research.THANK"

stilllovemyself (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2017

"Hello, all. I was diagnosed with Herpes Simplex 1 early 2016. Began taking Valacyclovir everyday once diagnosed. It has completely saved my life and my confidence. It's an easy pill to take and haven't had any outbreaks or symptoms since the initial outbreak. If you're suffering... this is the medication to take! Best wishes to all!"

Stoney G January 28, 2017

"I had my first outbreak at 19 and maybe 1-2 minor outbreaks. At 38, my outbreaks became noticeable and frequent- as soon as the itching subsided, it would appear again 3 days later. Then my anus started to itch. After a visit to my gynecologist, I walked away with a prescription for 500 mg of valacyclovir to be taken daily. One week later I had an outbreak similar to my first, except now my buttocks and thighs were included. I had a 1 inch lesion on my inner buttocks and my vagina was swollen and weeping (the itching was unlike anything I've ever experienced). I stopped the valacyclovir after about 20 days. The symptoms abated 3 days later."

CinciTucky November 17, 2016

"I typically don't write reviews. But almost a year of taking and not any outbreaks. Great med. And gave me my life back. I am healed in Jesus' name. Hsv- 2 survivor."

Thankful4grace42 November 3, 2016

"have been on Valtrex for about a year on suppressive therapy. works like a charm. no outbreaks. noo side effects. i feel so much better about this."

525i (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2016

"I got diagnosed with genital herpes in February 2016. I did 500mg for 7 days when I was expecting an outbreak. But I kept getting them. They switched me to 1g daily about 6 months ago and I'm still non stop getting them. I've had 3 that have been so bad and they've left scars. I'm in extreme pain and don't know what to do. Why isn't my medication working?"

Please give suggestions (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2016

"I can remember getting my first outbreak around 14yrs old, I had suffered from chickenpox in my younger days. I didnt know what to do about these sores. I was so embarrassed going to school, would even cry. My parents never took me to the Dr. For this. This continued throughtout my adult life. In 2012 I went to the Bahamas for vacation. Laid out in the sun, enjoyed the ocean. Woke up to tingling...couple hrs later a gigantic blister. It was soooo ugly. Tried to supress it witb alcohol or seabreeze, thats all I had then. As I took flight, seemed like it got even bigger and the itching was unbearable. That was enough. The beginning of this year I finally seeked medical attention. When I say the generic Valtrex is great...! It is!"

LadyTrucker2000 (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

"I've had HSV-1 (Cold Sores) for the past 10 years with a flare-up, in what seems, every 3-4 years so daily prevention was never a big deal to me. At first I'd just hit it with some Abreva and toss a bandaid to cover the unsightliness and in a about 3 weeks, it would go away. My last flare-up, I went to the medic who got me some Acyclovir. Honestly, taking acyclovir did seem to shorten the duration but my sores still lasted 2 weeks. This recent flare-up my doc prescribed me 1 gram of Valtrex, & the blisters appear to be healing after day 3, not week 3. Awesome stuff."

itscoolyo (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

"I found out I had genital hsv 1 about a month ago. I have never seen a sore or bump of any kind down there, but experienced a burning that I compared to being cut, literally. The doctor found a lesion by the vaginal opening, that looked like little paper cuts apparently. Anyhow the 500 mg Valtrex 1× daily started helping after 2 weeks. The weird nerve-like sensations I was experiencing were all gone after 3 weeks. The only negative side effect is fatigue after I take the dose."

Deet45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

"I am 21 I've had herpes since I was 15 and these pills have saved my life 100% I am now engaged and live a normal life. I don't take them everyday just when I feel an outbreak coming and it doesn't happen! I haven't had an outbreak in 2 years! Strongly recommend valtrex :)"

Happygirl95 July 15, 2016

"I gotta say it really works - I thought I had a bad heat rash but it wasn't clearing up I finally asked my mom to take me to hospital and when they told me what it was I said no way and how - I still wonder why it was me out of everyone I got it - makes you feel horrible inside - but it's not the end - I've got a boyfriend who supports me through all this - thankfully he doesn't have it and doctors said I might have gotten it from a past boyfriend - but they gave me a shot in the hip and 4000 mg of valtrex - I went home still think I did not have it and that it was just a basic rash - stopped putting ointments on it and stopped all treatments I did it started to clear up - lab result later said I was positive - I cried - valtrex does work !"

The girl who didn't get away (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

"I've been taking Valtrex for almost 18 years for suppression of cold sores. i would get them all the time before Valtrex, probably like 7 a year. I started with a daily dose of 500mg and would get one every now and again. I up it to 1 gram and haven't had an outbreak in more than 10 years! Now, I'm back down to 500mg and if i feel an olutbreak coming on I'll put a little zoviraz on it with some DMSO after and the sore goes away within 30 minutes. The combination works well. Hope this helps."

DD121212 June 30, 2016

"I take 500mg valtrex daily as a suppressant,and have done for past 4yrs.I still get the occasional small outbreak and apply wild oregano oil to the infected area.It stings but is absolutely amazing.Its anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal and it clears up the herpes outbreak in rapid time."

Mr H (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2016