User Reviews for Valtrex

Learn more about Valtrex.

Valtrex Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 7 medications used in the treatment of Herpes Simplex, Suppression.

Reviews for Valtrex to treat Herpes Simplex, Suppression

"I had my first outbreak at 19 and maybe 1-2 minor outbreaks. At 38, my outbreaks became noticeable and frequent- as soon as the itching subsided, it would appear again 3 days later. Then my anus started to itch. After a visit to my gynecologist, I walked away with a prescription for 500 mg of valacyclovir to be taken daily. One week later I had an outbreak similar to my first, except now my buttocks and thighs were included. I had a 1 inch lesion on my inner buttocks and my vagina was swollen and weeping (the itching was unlike anything I've ever experienced). I stopped the valacyclovir after about 20 days. The symptoms abated 3 days later."

CinciTucky November 17, 2016

"I typically don't write reviews. But almost a year of taking and not any outbreaks. Great med. And gave me my life back. I am healed in Jesus' name. Hsv- 2 survivor."

Thankful4grace42 November 3, 2016

"have been on Valtrex for about a year on suppressive therapy. works like a charm. no outbreaks. noo side effects. i feel so much better about this."

525i (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2016

"I got diagnosed with genital herpes in February 2016. I did 500mg for 7 days when I was expecting an outbreak. But I kept getting them. They switched me to 1g daily about 6 months ago and I'm still non stop getting them. I've had 3 that have been so bad and they've left scars. I'm in extreme pain and don't know what to do. Why isn't my medication working?"

Please give suggestions (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2016

"I can remember getting my first outbreak around 14yrs old, I had suffered from chickenpox in my younger days. I didnt know what to do about these sores. I was so embarrassed going to school, would even cry. My parents never took me to the Dr. For this. This continued throughtout my adult life. In 2012 I went to the Bahamas for vacation. Laid out in the sun, enjoyed the ocean. Woke up to tingling...couple hrs later a gigantic blister. It was soooo ugly. Tried to supress it witb alcohol or seabreeze, thats all I had then. As I took flight, seemed like it got even bigger and the itching was unbearable. That was enough. The beginning of this year I finally seeked medical attention. When I say the generic Valtrex is great...! It is!"

LadyTrucker2000 (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

"I've had HSV-1 (Cold Sores) for the past 10 years with a flare-up, in what seems, every 3-4 years so daily prevention was never a big deal to me. At first I'd just hit it with some Abreva and toss a bandaid to cover the unsightliness and in a about 3 weeks, it would go away. My last flare-up, I went to the medic who got me some Acyclovir. Honestly, taking acyclovir did seem to shorten the duration but my sores still lasted 2 weeks. This recent flare-up my doc prescribed me 1 gram of Valtrex, & the blisters appear to be healing after day 3, not week 3. Awesome stuff."

itscoolyo (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

"I found out I had genital hsv 1 about a month ago. I have never seen a sore or bump of any kind down there, but experienced a burning that I compared to being cut, literally. The doctor found a lesion by the vaginal opening, that looked like little paper cuts apparently. Anyhow the 500 mg Valtrex 1× daily started helping after 2 weeks. The weird nerve-like sensations I was experiencing were all gone after 3 weeks. The only negative side effect is fatigue after I take the dose."

Deet45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

"I am 21 I've had herpes since I was 15 and these pills have saved my life 100% I am now engaged and live a normal life. I don't take them everyday just when I feel an outbreak coming and it doesn't happen! I haven't had an outbreak in 2 years! Strongly recommend valtrex :)"

Happygirl95 July 15, 2016

"I gotta say it really works - I thought I had a bad heat rash but it wasn't clearing up I finally asked my mom to take me to hospital and when they told me what it was I said no way and how - I still wonder why it was me out of everyone I got it - makes you feel horrible inside - but it's not the end - I've got a boyfriend who supports me through all this - thankfully he doesn't have it and doctors said I might have gotten it from a past boyfriend - but they gave me a shot in the hip and 4000 mg of valtrex - I went home still think I did not have it and that it was just a basic rash - stopped putting ointments on it and stopped all treatments I did it started to clear up - lab result later said I was positive - I cried - valtrex does work !"

The girl who didn't get away (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

"I've been taking Valtrex for almost 18 years for suppression of cold sores. i would get them all the time before Valtrex, probably like 7 a year. I started with a daily dose of 500mg and would get one every now and again. I up it to 1 gram and haven't had an outbreak in more than 10 years! Now, I'm back down to 500mg and if i feel an olutbreak coming on I'll put a little zoviraz on it with some DMSO after and the sore goes away within 30 minutes. The combination works well. Hope this helps."

DD121212 June 30, 2016

"I take 500mg valtrex daily as a suppressant,and have done for past 4yrs.I still get the occasional small outbreak and apply wild oregano oil to the infected area.It stings but is absolutely amazing.Its anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal and it clears up the herpes outbreak in rapid time."

Mr H (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2016

"I am 44. Had a 1st outbreak (genital) after having an UTI. It was a minor outbreak. Sm patch of raw skin and looked like one lesion. It never spread or got worse. I had never had any sort of outbreak ever oral or genital. So, I don't know if I already had it or my partner if 1.5yrs triggered an outbrk or whether it was dormant all this time and getting sick brought it out. I got blood & cult done for hsv 1 and 2 -3wks later but the patch was about 90% healed already w/ no meds but was still prescribed (the generic Valtrex) 1000mg 2x a day for 5 days. Ive been off the meds for 2 days now. I need to see if I get another outbreak B4 just taking meds daily. I had no side effects as I drank water like crazy as it said to do. I'm hoping for the best"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

"I took valtrex for about 3 years. I was having terrible side effects after about a year 1/2.. but I did not want an outbreak so I kept taking them. I felt like total crap almost everyday for months. one day and realized I was out of my script and had to call doc for my yearly refill. I stopped taking them! I am a completely different person off of the pills. I no longer feel depressed. I was having all the side effects. I had a dull ache in the right side of my body that radiated form my hip to my breast. A week after stopping the pills all my symptoms were gone and pain in my side gone. I think back to a few weeks ago and never want to wake up eveyday feeling the way I did.i will deal with outbreaks. No more valtrex."

Seriouslyfedup (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2016

"I've been using Valtrex for suppression and have not had an outbreak in 1.5 years using it. It's a life saver. Hoping to take it daily for the rest of my life. If anyone has been taking it daily for suppression please chime in, I wanted to know if it has effected anyone in a bad way. I did read one review where someone was using it daily as a suppression for 14 years and it worked and he didn't have an outbreak once but he ended getting allergic reaction and had to stop using it. What a bummer! But yes Valtrex is a life saver."

Johnganonyy April 25, 2016

"Had my first outbreak about two weeks ago, it was excruciatingly painful. Couldn't urinate without being In the bath tub or running water over the sores....this outbreak had been going on for a whole two weeks almost so I went to my doctor and she prescribed me valtrex 500mg 2x a day. By the second day of taking the medication the burning while urinating went away. I am now on day 6 and the sores are almost all gone, I have maybe one left but there's little to no feeling in it. This was my first outbreak and I just turned 21, it flared up right after I got the flu and had a high fever. Apparently hsv can stay dormant in your body for some time until your immune system is shot...but I'm finally feeling normal again and the meds for sure work"

MaryMaria57 March 20, 2016

"I am going to turn 70 yrs old in March , I have had HSV for 42 yrs. I take the 500mg dose as soon as I know its going to start up and if I neglect taking it for whatever reason it flares up , one of the things that I noticed that is sure to get it going is Sun bathing . I have become a vegan and live a very healthy life style which really helps the immune system."

rpww (taken for 10 years or more) February 22, 2016

"I was getting frequent outbreaks and was very miserable. I felt I would never be normal again. Started this treatment and it improved my daily and intimate life by a milestone. Maybe get a little thing or two in a year and very possibly not. If so its quickly resolved with these meds..I reccomend it. Give yourself and love a chance. I am still very worthy and so are you. There is a huge and scary stigma about it but you are still normal and so am I. Its a small complication we have to deal with until God provides a cure. In the meantime take care of yourself and your partner. Be careful and safe. But don't underestimate your worth like I did. Try this treatment."

contentandaccepted February 19, 2016

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This is my first outbreak. I've been on it for 2 days now and I have no relief. The blisters down in my vagina are awful. I scared go drink anything, because I'm scared to go to the bathroom.. I hope I get some relief soon. When outbreak is gone I hope to do supressive treatment."

mariezy February 5, 2016

"So woke up sunday morning with a little blister. Instantly took 4x500mg Valtrex. Unlike the rest of the users on the previous reviews, mine did get bigger and did multiply. It is now Tuesday. It didn't get as big as it would get without the valtrex but still up there and not scabbing yet. So its either I'm not lucky like the rest of the users or they are making it up."

JimmyJames1877 February 2, 2016

"Such a great pill! I contracted HSV 2 when I was only 17 by my boyfriend that cheated on me. One week before my highschool graduation. I started taking it only when having outbreaks until shortly after I was having 3-4 a month. I was beyond depressed. My doctor told me about suppressive medicine taking it twice a day (500mg) and ever since then I have been clear of any sign of an outbreak. I'm going on month 5 with no symptoms. Makes me feel myself again! Remember ALWAYS USE PROTECTION!"

Hunter runner (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

"As soon as you get your first outbreak you need to start taking this immediately. The outbreak will only get worse without it and last for weeks. My first outbreak was heart wrenching. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But once I started taking the medicine my symptoms rapidly improved. I probably get less than one outbreak a year but when I do have one I take this immediately and it knocks it right out."

crazydoglady84 January 21, 2016

"I am pregnant and found out I had genital herpes on new years eve from my boyfriend giving me oral sex with a cold sore on his lip.it burned so bad when I went pee I had painful blisters and bumps and awful itching with a nasty discharge and swelling.obgyn gave me valtrex 1gm to take twice a day. On day one the painful swelling I had in my labias went down a lot. By day two the burning was gone and the big blisters went down until they were super small. The itching also got a lot better. Day 3 blisters and bumps scabbed over. It's now day four and all I had left is dried up tiny scabs over where two of the blisters were and they don't hurt at all. Bumps are gone. Basically my vagina looks and feels almost normal again."

much better (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2016

"I found out I had herpes simplex type 2 last year and never had a breakout until I got pregnant, my first breakout started about a week ago and my ob just prescribed me valtrex yesterday! I've started my dose and I'm praying it works because this is horrible !!"

Zandersmommy January 7, 2016

"I was unfortunately diagnosed in February 2015 with HSV-2 when I experienced my first outbreak. It was horrible and devastating. I continued to get outbreaks monthly until I had enough and finally went to my doctor in July of 2015. He put me on 1 gram dose of Valtrex daily and I have not had an outbreak since. This drug is a total life saver. Couldn't be happier with the results."

Military Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

"It has been a great suppressive medicine for Herpes 2. Would recommend highly. Hoping for a vaccine, but until then this is the next best thing."

TonyT71 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2015